[Drama 2021] Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha ☀️ 갯마을 차차차

Maetawinz

Overall a good healing drama, although I honestly feel that it lost its special vibes from 10th episode mark onwards. But then again, it was an enjoyable one for me.

I do have some issues with the writing here, which I would say wasn't the best in the final few episodes. Especially the whole past incident which led Du Shik to leave everything and come back to Gongjin. There are a lot of things I am not understanding in that story. Du Shik clearly warned the security guy, told him to be careful and not reckless. The security guy still went for the "High risk, high profit" fund investment by taking out loans and invested in them with the help of some other employee, it is not even clear if he applied in the one Du Shik was managing or some other one. Then things went down, and even then Du Shik told him that things will get better if he is patient and does not sell at lower price. He clearly told him to be patient this time too, and the security having lost everything tried to kill himself. Now I don't understand why suddenly Du Shik became the villain and culprit in all this. I understand the blame he got for his hyung's death, but not this one. 

The second one, I had kinda overlooked but was pointed out by @agenth Chingu about the Police dude having enough money in account to buy a house, but still selling his items to buy expensive gifts for his gf. Well, it makes sense since I had stopped thinking he won the lottery just because he was caught selling items to buy the gifts. But then again, I am still ready to ignore this one since it will not affect the main plot. 

I was really sad with Gam Ri's death, it wasn't really something I had thought would happen in this drama, but I believe it was needed for Du Shik to finally mourn properly and not hold up at the death of another loved one. So it was for him to be able to do that finally with the help of Hye Jin. 

Gongjin people are one of the most amazing people shown in the dramas. They have been portrayed so well, they are flawed characters, but good at heart. It was so good to see how supportive they were to Hye Jin and Du Shik. I was amazed by how they were to Du Shik when he came back totally different from how he used to be, and despite being curious about it all never asked him about it and supported him get back to his usual self. They were the same even when they saw someone punch Du Shik, call him murderer and him accepting it. They still were trying their best to support him, without even asking him anything.

So I am really happy that their business bloomed because of the variety show. I didn't really expect it, but it was great to see Oh Yoon being recognized and offered to participate in the show which I believe he always dreamt to participate in. Also Ji PD finally lowkey asking Writer Won out and Do Ha's father, the security guard finally being able to walk. While it was expected that good things to happen, but I didn't really expect it to happen to almost all the characters. 

So once again, while I have some issues with the writing in the final few episodes, it does not take away the great vibes this drama had and I enjoyed watching it. So overall, it was a really good drama for me. 

• Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

THE EMPTINESS... :sleepy:

This was my comfort drama. Anyway, so happy they wrapped it up nicely with a bang and we got lots of Du Sik+Hye Jin moments. Towards the end it seemed more Seon Ho & Min Ah rather than Du Sik, Hye Jin. :lol: Especially when Du Sik was getting all pouty and when he was laughing out loud or had this mischievous twinkling in his eyes, those are standard Kim Seon Ho expressions. I have never seen Seon Ho in such an out an out romantic role. Min Ah I've seen, she's a pro clingy gf in all her shows.

And yeah, I really hope these two work together in another project or something cuz I really have withdrawals :sleepy:

I know I said this after CLOY and also after IOTNBO but I've really never NEVER been whipped for a reel couple like this. I'll find more 2d1n episodes to distract myself for now and watch Tomorrow With You, that one seems very romantic. ^^

I know Seon Ho will debut on the big screen shortly, cheering for him. Although I'm not a fan of Yoona Im's acting, I'm sure the film will do well. And we can see Min Ah in the drama Our Blues that has been announced. Hope it will also premiere on Netflix.

Btw uri HCCC is now in the top 10 TVN shows. It's also the 14th most watched show on cable TV in Korea. So happy for all the cast & crew, they worked very hard to give us so much happiness over the last 2 months.

@Sleepy Owl I agree with you, even I had some issues with the writing in the final episodes but overall it was a very good show which really uplifted my mood, I used to look forward to the weekends. My work has been so hectic over the last couple of months, this show was a nice escape and I will rewatch it if I get stressed again.

The business booming in Gongjin is very similar to real life, where people are queuing up in Pohang every day after HCCC, although it's causing many disruptions in daily life there, I'm sure it must be good for local businesses too.

@Ameera Ali really enjoyed all your memes and gifs here, even if the episode was sad, your memes brought out the laughter.

Thank you to all of you here, very healthy discussions and good points raised. I feel like this is a safe space where I can voice my opinions without being attacked. We didn't always agree on things but we kept the discussion healthy and open for all. So thank you once again. Enjoyed my time here. Let's meet again for another enjoyable Kdrama ride sometime soon. :blush:

• Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

Gah, I’m so happy, content, and sad at the same time. This drama is definitely one of my favorite shows that I’m gonna watch again and again, especially when I need a pick-me-up and a laugh or two or more. Lol. I must say the writers and others responsible for the show went above and beyond my expectations. True, it’s not completely perfect but it’s extremely close. One of my favorite things about it is the way mental and emotional health / illness was addressed and handled. There were both bad and good ways, for sure, and I love HJ demonstrating the latter with DS. And I’m sooooooo happy they gave us not just a happy ending but a satisfying one at that (I can’t help but think other drama writers, etc. gotta take notes on how dramas should end, though we can do well without trucks of doom untimely deaths, injustices, but…oh well…we can’t always get everything we want. Lol!) 

And thank you everyone for your posts! It made me love this drama even more. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4

I still cried buckets for the first part honoring Gamri, so many lessons learned but most importantly to always tell our loved ones that we love them and to not wait.

But I'm so glad that everyone got a good ending -- it really is an awesome ensemble cast! Of course, our Sikhye couple is finally able to love one other without hesitations.

But most of all, thank you to this awesome community! I might have gone crazy thinking about all the things I see on the internet about theories and such but this forum was so invigorating -- it makes waiting for each episode feel like a lot less time. See you around in the other drama forums. :love:

• Like 6
  • Love 6

12 hours ago, Learry said:

What a perfect ending to such almost perfect show. This two months have been wonderful.  Thanks  to the writer, the director, the cast and crew, and all the lovely people in the homecha fandom for all the lovely writing, gifsets. And other wonderful content, the community we’ve made is so heartwarming. What a phenomenal ride. can’t believe it’s  already over, time sure flies by. 

Thank you Hometown Cha Cha Cha!:issohappy:

c smittenskiten

+ bonus (the premiere within the finale)

Reveal hidden contents

Yeaah .. it's a perfect ending. Can't wait to see last episode's BTS. I hope they'll provide it! :love:

Edited by Emily Bett
Please don't quote GIFs, thanks!
  • Like 5
  • Blob 2

49 minutes ago, refugeebluez said:

@Sleepy Owl I agree with you, even I had some issues with the writing in the final episodes but overall it was a very good show which really uplifted my mood, I used to look forward to the weekends. My work has been so hectic over the last couple of months, this show was a nice escape and I will rewatch it if I get stressed again.

The business booming in Gongjin is very similar to real life, where people are queuing up in Pohang every day after HCCC, although it's causing many disruptions in daily life there, I'm sure it must be good for local businesses too.

Yeah, even though the writing was a bit off in the final few episodes, it does not take away how well this drama has been. I also always looked forward to the weekends to watch it and it was a great mood up lifter. 

Yeah, the business booming again is definitely similar to the what is happening in Pohang. While yeah it is for now causing disruptions in the daily lives of the people, it must have really helped the local business too. 

21 minutes ago, Chesleigh said:

I still cried buckets for the first part honoring Gamri, so many lessons learned but most importantly to always tell our loved ones that we love them and to not wait.

That indeed was sad, and the message behind it was definitely what you already mentioned, that we need to always tell our loved ones that we love them. Her son thought that she would always be around, and never really thought this day would come. So he missed the chance to say how really felt about her since he as he said he was constantly delaying it all thinking she would always be around.  

But I was glad that she was in peace and happy when she died. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, refugeebluez said:

THE EMPTINESS... :sleepy:

Yes you said it right, it is the emptiness that I am dealing with, HomeCha withdrawal will hit me even harder this weekend. In the meantime, I will watch the dorky Seon Ho in 2D1N to lift up my mood :)

3 hours ago, ferily said:

Yes @EInfinity this is why Hometown Cha Cha Cha is a healing drama! Love how Gongjin practically saved both of our couple… The drama unfolds Hye Jin coming into Du Sik’s life as someone from Seoul but she gradually begins heal Du Sik with his traumatic past and stands by his side. Du Sik not only learns to open up to Hye Jin about the accident but also learns that it’s OKAY for him to have someone he loves by his side and Hye Jin will be there for him. Gamri’s death was for him to really grieve and cry as much as he wanted for a loved one like Hye Jin said. On the flip side, Du Sik comes into Hye Jin’s life and breaks down Hye Jin’s walls, showing her true self as someone who is truly a warm and caring person. Hye Jin really isn’t the same person she is when she first came to Gongjin compared to the last scene in the drama. Of course she still has some of her ideals, being ambitious & bold, spending her money on expensive clothing, but she also opened up a lot and shows her true self. It’s as Gamri said in one of the earlier episode, Hye Jin is truly a warm person on the inside and we see that in many moments (helping I Joon’s teeth, Gamri’s implant, Juri’s braces, etc etc). Her coming to Gongjin really allowed her to be her true self and get away from the pressure she was feeling while in Seoul. It’s healing for both of them and I love that about this drama :wub:

Also did anyone else crack up at Hye Jin calling proposal a relay race and she gives the baton to Du Sik to finish the relay race? LOL!! :loolz: 

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better. Gongjin definitely brings the best out of Hye Jin. Also, thanks to her appearance, a lot of things happened, secrets unfold, people get closer and our Hong banjang has found a life partner that saves his soul. Her addition is like the final piece of puzzle that completes the beautiful Gongjin picture :) 

I cracked up at the proposal scene also, then teared up again when DS started talking. It is the HomeCha magic that makes us laugh and cry at the same time. I love how DS was so thoughtful that he bought HJ the necklace that she liked so much to propose.  Not only HJ but all of us was surprised, too. How can he think of that :) 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, EInfinity said:

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better. Gongjin definitely brings the best out of Hye Jin. Also, thanks to her appearance, a lot of things happened, secrets unfold, people get closer and our Hong banjang has found a life partner that saves his soul. Her addition is like the final piece of puzzle that completes the beautiful Gongjin picture

Really insightful to think of HJ as the catalyst for so much that happened in Gongjin after her arrival - she helped the two munchkins (teeth and hedgehog :) ), she helped Gamri halmeoni, she helped deliver the new baby (but where did it go?! Maybe grandma :) ), she helped Oh Yoon step up his coffee game, and she helped Juri in various ways. Let's not forget she also brought Mi Seon to Gongjin AND she got that stalker arrested. HJ had a busy few months!

Of course, she was an important catalyst for DS as we mentioned the past couple of days....without her as a love interest in Gongjin he would've just kept coasting through life, haunted by nightmares and trauma.

In the end HJ was just an "ordinary" person with an "ordinary" profession, but she made a difference in many people's lives. (And people made a difference in her life.) One great lesson from the show is how much we can do that ourselves - living faithfully through our daily lives, and trying to treat each other well, can make a difference over time.

Everyone fighting!! :lol::wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 5

Hye-Jin & Du-Sik

Mi-Seon & Eun-Cheol

Hwa-Jeong & Yeong-Guk

Director Ji & Ji-Won

Wow - 16 episodes later, and they all are together, they went 4 for 4 - I don't think I've ever seen a drama do that, and thats not even counting the Kids ... 5 for 5.

The over-the-top product placement, and associated ridiculous acting should be outlawed, and almost ruined it. However, I'm willing to overlook that grotesque display, as they managed to bring all the love arcs to satisfactory conclusions.  An almost excessively sweet drama.

I liked it ... alot :blush::heart:

• Like 7
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

5 for 5.

Wait. Who's the 5th child? I'm wracking my brain and can't think who it is! :D

EDIT: Ahhh, I get what you were trying to say....that the 5th couple is Bo Ra and I Jun. At first I thought you were saying that all 5 kids were doing well...and I couldn't think of another child. (But actually, now I can! Bo Ra, baby, I Jun, Ha Rang, and Juri). Sorry for the confusion. :wacko::)

6 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The over-the-top product placement, and associated ridiculous acting should be outlawed, and almost ruined it. However, I'm willing to overlook that grotesque display, as they managed to bring all the love arcs to satisfactory conclusions.  An almost excessively sweet drama.

Absolutely agree....it always comes off as so forced. Thankfully they limited it in this episode to a concentrated, quick flurry....and then it was done.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I was just about to pen my afterthoughts, agree with you guys, highlight what I loved, and say let's not go yet, we still have the BTS for last 2 eps, and viola it's released! With Eng subs too! 

@1:14 I find it so cute how she blames him for smiling as she's reciting her lines due to her frustration from repeated NGs. Poor KSH defends himself with saying he's always had a smiley face :lol:. She may be older, but they certainly behave like friends do. 

And why is our final BTS soo short? :dissapointed_relieved:. Plus NO BTS of our amazing KSH's acting in ep 15??

Surely we'll get the traditional thank you +final thoughts video by each and every of the main cast?

Just as I speak, it's up too! All the characters get their own time to convey their appreciation, even the kids get some screentime! Seriously I love how the producers of this drama show respect to each and every character, it's giving me so much fluff and warmth, even in post production :transforms:.

SMA is too cute getting teary and her voice all shaky, clearly this drama is as special to her as it is to us! It's so sweet that they get the actors to say something to their characters, as if they live on in Gongjin, as they do in our hearts! :heart:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3

I don’t think I can ever get over this series. It was the perfect level of wholesomeness, romance, comedy, sadness, and happiness. 

I loved that DS gained another brother that was is connected through his best friend. 

Scenes I wished I got to see:

-DS and HJ visiting their dad and having that 2nd banter interaction with the two guys.

-DS and HJ hanging out with the kids with seumseum at DS’s house. 

-DS and HJ tutoring the kids and HS getting overly competitive with their academia knowledge.

-DS surprise visiting HJ in Seoul during her seminar and getting spicy rice cakes together 

- wedding in Seoul 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

October 18, 2021

‘Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha’ Proved that the Power of Rom-Com K-Dramas Lies Within Healing and Romance

by krishkim

tvN weekend series ‘Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha,’ which became one of the hottest rom-com aired this year, ended strong with the heart-fluttering final episode.

Screen_Shot_2021-10-18_at_9.15.55_PM.png

Credit: tvN

According to Nielsen Korea, the grand finale of Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha recorded the highest ratings of 12.7%. Since the series started at around 6.8%, it eventually doubled its ratings by the end.

Based on the movie Mr. Handy (2004), Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha is a healing romance drama between ‘realist’ dentist Yoon Hye Jin and an unemployed man Hong Doo Sik who goes by ‘Chief Hong’ in his town.

Though Yoon Hye Jin (Shin Min Ah) and Hong Doo Sik (Kim Seon Ho) are at the center of the story, the story of Gongjin people has also attracted viewers.

spacer.png

Credit: tvN

From Kim Gam Ri (Kim Young Ok), who caresses villagers’ wounded hearts, to Oh Choo Jae (Jo Han Chul) and Oh Joo Ri’s (Kim Min Seo) affectionate father-daughter story. And from Yeo Hwa Jung (Lee Bong Ryun) and Jang Young Gook’s (In Gyo Jin) reunion to tough Jo Nam Sook’s (Cha Hwa Jung) story. Stories of all these villagers enriched the plot.

Of course, Shin Min Ah and Kim Seon Ho’s heart-fluttering romance and the process of them healing each other’s wounds only raised the immersion level.

Two actors’ romance and colorful stories in Gongjin received responses from viewers all over the world. According to Flixpatrol, Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha ranked 1st on Netflix’s “Today’s Top 10” in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. Moreover, the series is ranked 7th in the worldwide ranking. While Squid Game continues to be the hottest topic, Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha also showcased the power of Korean-style rom-com.

Source:  https://zapzee.net/2021/10/18/hometown-cha-cha-cha-proved-that-the-power-of-rom-com-k-dramas-lies-within-healing-and-romance/

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, EInfinity said:

In the meantime, I will watch the dorky Seon Ho in 2D1N to lift up my mood :)

I’m on the 2020 episodes and really hoping he stays the same in 2021! 

i also though the product placement were just over the top and both their acting was just hilarious. oh wells. 

That said, i loved watching the episodes love with everyone and reading everyone’s comments and thoughts! till the next drama!

• Like 6