[Drama 2021] Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha ☀️ 갯마을 차차차

Maetawinz

I am really enjoying this show so far, especially as it's so easy on the eyes (cinematography-wise! :) ).

I found myself getting frustrated with her in Episode 2, though. I mean, can you BE any more insulting to your new neighbors?! She was not all that likeable, and for Du-Sik to still assist her and encourage her was very sweet. He's helping her get set up for success in a way she can't on her own. It was nice to see her show some humility and gratefulness at the end of the episode.

The actor who plays the washed-up singer, Jo Han Chul, is one of my favorite character actors. He does a great job with whatever role he plays. And his asianwiki photo is the best: https://asianwiki.com/Jo_Han-Chul :D

• Like 8

Insulting the whole town elders in one go. Upbraiding her boss with no fixed future plan. She and her father seem to be estranged. There is a lot against her. But it is rather out of character for her to be concerned about brands yet she has not sniffed at Chief Hong for putting her in her place. Isn't he a countrysider? Living in 'hicksville'.

Also in ep. 1, leaving her 6k shoes unattended?

I hope they make her less fault prone in later episodes.

• Like 8

I forgot to mention earlier that I really enjoy having two leads that are both talkative. In some dramas, one lead is more reserved and quiet, and the other is bubbly and sociable. But in this show, both leads have high energy and lots of words, and I think that adds to their fun chemistry.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

Also in ep. 1, leaving her 6k shoes unattended?

ikr!  who wears such expensive shoes for the first time to the beach?  the sand will spoil the shoe!  and she just leaves them unattended?

• Like 6

Episode 2 random thoughts -

- Call it the "awkward" episode ... it did finish on a pleasant note.

- Again, whats with the absolute wrong type of shoes at the shore? ... and they we're ugly too.

- Again the seaside backdrop is just amazing here.

- Best friend arrives - relationship chart has her in love with the police officer - looks like we have our second couple

- Anyone else think our ML is secretly rich?  As accomplished as he seems to be skill wise, there has to be an equally compelling backstory - he's not just an A+ handy man

- We got a hedge hog! 

You Got This Lets Go GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, emmie said:

ikr!  who wears such expensive shoes for the first time to the beach?  the sand will spoil the shoe!  and she just leaves them unattended?

Yes, which made it doubly ridiculous since she had waited very long for the price to go down to buy it. Now if she had inadvertantly dropped it...

29 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

We got a hedge hog! 

Looked like a hamster to me

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Episode 2 random thoughts -

- Anyone else think our ML is secretly rich?  As accomplished as he seems to be skill wise, there has to be an equally compelling backstory - he's not just an A+ handy man

I think the ML is secretly rich as well, Episode 2 made me a little more sure that he could be.

• Like 8
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I think the ML is secretly rich as well, Episode 2 made me a little more sure that he could be.

I feel the same way. He does contemplate on the tux in his wardrobe. Also he’s a handyman but something about his lost parentage makes me wonder the same too. Maybe he came to live with his grandpa when his parents are abroad or something.

About the childhood connection, such an overdone trope in kdramas. It was adorable the first ten times. Now it’s just exasperating. I mean, tell me one drama that came out without a childhood connection… okay maybe Master’s Sun. 

Fine. Maybe there are dramas without childhood connections but they’re the ones that’s intriguing. Every childhood connection drama is about first love. And I’m so done with it.

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

@LeftCoastOppa first love :hwaiting2:

thank you @heartoppaya for pointing that out.

4 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Anyone else think our ML is secretly rich?  As accomplished as he seems to be skill wise, there has to be an equally compelling backstory - he's not just an A+ handy man

This is more annoying than the childhood connection that was meant to be destiny. 
Nothing wrong in having a worker for our ML as long as he looks cute with clothes on or in the shower. 

Maybe he is a genius, took his PhD in a just few years, now reads Thoreau for fun. Professors are not rich. But there are Kdrama professors who don't seem to read like in Red Shoes. 

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

9 minutes ago, maribella said:

This is more annoying than the childhood connection that was meant to be destiny. 
Nothing wrong in having a worker for our ML as long as he looks cute with clothes on or in the shower. 

Maybe he is a genius, took his PhD in a just few years, now reads Thoreau for fun. Professors are not rich. But there are Kdrama professors who don't seem to read like in Red Shoes. 

I was approaching it from his qualification in the trade skills - normally its a specialization in 1 or 2, not a wallet full. Of course I'm basing that on here in the states, Korean certification may not be as financially taxing, so I freely acknowledge that he may very well be just a well-read handyman.

14 minutes ago, maribella said:

@LeftCoastOppa first love

Is it a too often used trope? -Yes.  That doesn't necessarily mean its not entertaining - First Loves, Secret Rich Heirs, Switched Identities at Birth, Bad-to-Good Amnesia victims ... all tired cliches - but with the right back story and a cast of engaging characters, they all can still be a joy to watch - as for First Love specifically - I have seen alot of people drop dramas for a variety of reasons, while they may complain about First Love back stories, I've never heard of anyone dropping a drama for it.

For me, as long as its a story well told, I'm in.

• Like 10
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 2

This drama is very simplistic and doesn't reinvent the wheel. Then again, do we really need over-the-top astonishing features of a story? Most times those "unique" things fall flat - the series starts strong, but then there is one or more huge plot hole and the ending is bad.

Here, it's a simple concept. A romantic comedy. City girl is down on her luck, on a whim decides to trade her fancy life and apartment for the small town, where she meets a bit of a rough-kind of man. Someone who does not treat with usual admiration. They DO bicker. But they're also getting along.

The female is a bit too stupid to live, for the things she does, like wearing and losing expensive shoes to the beach, insulting her new neighbours (prospective clients), not knowing how to rectify all that, until Male helps her out (in a roundabout way). But she's smart enough to recognise his efforts. 

In any case, the trope is that she is also very warmhearted for all her charity donations. I simply wish she'd wise up ;), but we wouldn't be here, I guess. Still, I like the chemistry between the two of them, especially the moments where she doesn't realise she has caught his eye. 

• Like 12
  • Awesome 2

So, I had high expectations for this drama because of the main couple. The story is interesting but Hye Jin pissed me off in episode 2. I was really liking her at first but I hated the fact that she is totally dependent of Chef Hong to prosper in the city, the fact that she didn't put genuine effort to win the locals back and get customers for her dental clinic bothered me a lot. I know it's too soon for her to mature, there are a lot of episodes ahead, but given the circumstances, I think most of people would have tried a lot harder than her lol

About Chef Hong: that fact that he's too perfect is bothering me a little. There must be something he can't do and he should have some flaws. Well, let's see what is his back story in the future and if he's really secretly rich. 

Anyway, I'll keep my expectations high. The main couple have a lot of chemistry.

• Like 7

Shin Min Ah never disappoints in putting that special vibe in a drama she is in.

( As one in my own personal small AA-list with a few others who can do that )

I hope her personage here does not get too docile.

The interaction between the locals is great too, characters very real and natural.

It reminds of oldie-but-goldie Couple or Trouble . 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, heartoppaya said:

Fine. Maybe there are dramas without childhood connections but they’re the ones that’s intriguing. Every childhood connection drama is about first love. And I’m so done with it.

LUTYN didn't, well none between the main leads, just between the FL and the nonexistent wannabe 2nd male lead. :lol:

I wished they didn't add that, but let's see who remembers first. 

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, paolaadl said:

So, I had high expectations for this drama because of the main couple. The story is interesting but Hye Jin pissed me off in episode 2. I was really liking her at first but I hated the fact that she is totally dependent of Chef Hong to prosper in the city, the fact that she didn't put genuine effort to win the locals back and get customers for her dental clinic bothered me a lot. I know it's too soon for her to mature, there are a lot of episodes ahead, but given the circumstances, I think most of people would have tried a lot harder than her lol

About Chef Hong: that fact that he's too perfect is bothering me a little. There must be something he can't do and he should have some flaws. Well, let's see what is his back story in the future and if he's really secretly rich. 

Anyway, I'll keep my expectations high. The main couple have a lot of chemistry.

Yes it's a bit too smooth sailing. I agree with your view point, which is also why I don't consider her that smart. She opens a new business and expects lots of people without work. They think the SNS gets her customers - a town where majority are +40s???? She had to be dragged to the town party, too. 

Moreover, her friend from Seoul has moved to the town as well, but everyone ignores the new arrival, when they were super excited with Dentist her. No introductions on the street (even if they ignored her and gave her cold shoulder, it's pretty rude they didn't say hi to the friend). Plus when Chief arrives for trash duty, he could have also asked the friend to come along. 

That's a major plothole, considering the whole town are busybodies with Doctor, yet her friend is invisible to them. 

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1