[Drama 2021] Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha ☀️ 갯마을 차차차

Maetawinz

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/08/688_314505.html
Shin Min-a, Kim Seon-ho satisfied with their chemistry in 'Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha'

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2021-08-26

AF304EC5-DA40-4869-AD7A-716D1F9F4F65.jpg

Actors Shin Min-a, left, and Kim Seon-ho pose for pictures during an online media conference for the romantic comedy series "Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha." Courtesy of tvN

The new romantic comedy series "Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha," one of the most anticipated TV series this year, is finally set to take off this Saturday, with actors Shin Min-a and Kim Seon-ho as the leads. 

The actors expressed high hopes for the series during an online media conference Tuesday, giving a glimpse of their chemistry.

"We have such great acting chemistry … Kim Seon-ho has such a great personality and is a type of a person who makes others comfortable," Shin said. "I wanted to have flexibility in acting with this series and Kim was so considerate. I think we clicked very well." 

Adding that he enjoyed every moment of work on the show, Kim said: "Shin is very open to exchanging opinions and creating the scenes … She would always come up with funny ideas and would show them to us, which were really amusing."

"Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha," directed by Yoo Je-won, who led "Oh My Ghost" and "Tomorrow, with You," is set in a peaceful, close-knit seaside village, called Gongjin. 

Yoon Hye-jin (Shin), who is a successful dentist, moves from a big city to Gongjin to open up her own practice. As she tries to settle into her new neighborhood, she meets the town's handsome, jack-of-all-trades Hong Du-sik (Kim) who she finds to be her polar opposite. 

C7D7093E-85B9-4472-994F-ED2569096974.jpg
Scenes from the series / Courtesy of tvN

"This is a story of a city woman Hye-jin settling into a town by a seaside, as she meets Du-sik. Because the two come from very different backgrounds, they bicker all the time, which brings them closer to each other," the director said of the series. "And as they do, she learns to mingle with the town's people and Du-sik also grows from being by her side."

He added the scenery of the coastal city and the sea will also give something for the viewers to enjoy. "Our series doesn't revolve around some dynamic elements or story, but rather it will offer small, intimate 'healing' moments," he said. 

This is the first romantic comedy series in about five years for Shin, who has made several hits within the genre, including the series "My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho." She noted that she was looking to take part in a rom-com when she was offered the role. 

"When I read the script, it was well-composed and the story of people in it was really interesting. And the biggest reason I chose this is because I was drawn to the character Hye-jin," she said. "I've been doing works across genres to show different acting abilities. Now, I want to do a softhearted, feel-good series, so I've decided to join the series."

60756F64-DBC1-44E3-8800-7BB72D869CE8.jpg
Posters for the series / Courtesy of tvN

Kim's character Du-sik has no official job, yet he juggles multiple talents, lending hands to townspeople whenever they are in need. 

The actor expressed that he had to learn various skills to portray his character. 

"I thought it would be so fun to play a multifaceted character … Du-sik does a lot of things. So I took lessons on how to surf, and to brew coffee. As I was studying for the character, I learned different skills," he said. "But despite his talents, he actually doesn't even have anything that he could call his profession. So I wanted my character to be well-blended with the neighbors."

Actor Lee Sang-yi who recently made buzz as part of MSG Wannabe, a project group formed through the popular reality show "Hangout with Yoo," plays Ji Sung-hyun, the star producer of variety shows and Hye-jin's friend from college. 

He noted the producer of "Hangout with Yoo," Kim Tae-ho who is famous for leading the popular variety show "Infinite Challenge," helped him to build his character. 

"I watched a lot of variety shows to take reference for my character … Especially, while I took part in the MSG Wannabe project, I got to observe producer Kim by his side," he said. "He wasn't much of a talker on the set. It was important to just see the overall picture from a step back, like giving the cast members room to have fun on the set." 

"Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha" will premiere on Saturday at 9 p.m.

• Like 10

Review EP 1:

Made me want to leave my Job and move to a city with Beach or Mountain.

BOTH Leads are excellent , especially Shin Min Ah ...Loved her

Whatever possibly could wrong? Internet ditches you then everything can.

Summarized reaction : How to find your soulmate while sitting on a beach besides Roger Vivier Shoes , or Can't wait to date a Sexy Fisherman hahahah.

• Like 13
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Agree with @madmad min

So I'm 200% a city girl but it was like to be introduced to this village and community. They're all so cute in their own way. Lol at her freaking out in the sauna when there is a firefly and the village people rolling their eyes at this city girl. I really emphasised with her, except when she then started to sleep outside to combat bugs inside the sauna lol, complaining about it. 

I really like the feel of this drama so far, especially the last minute when they showed the impression HE had of HER. 

Sometimes she had too-stupid-to-live kind of moments, though. Like talking back to your superior, doxxing her on the internet (yes she did that when publishing name), it was no wonder people wouldn't want to hire her. Yes she is honest, but she also did her own boss dirty. 

Another too-stupid-to-live moment: buys super expensive shoes and then goes with them to the country side, proceeds to lose them ;) I'd have returned the shoes, because the bills were piling up. And we know she doesn't have that much money, despite her fabulous apartment. 

I am starting to fall in love with this town however, maybe because the director also knew how to win me over: showing a sunrise in the first scene. Granted, it was about Seoul, but I really like the cinematography. It reminds me of Lovestruck in the City (much like Seonho's hair, outfit, and surfing). 

E94aRtSUYAEoJ4d?format=jpg&name=large

and that SMILE. Yes, he's done for. 

However, I must say he looked the loveliest when he was making coffee. Something about that hair, the gaze and the lights hitting in the café at the right time...

:fullofhearts:

Yes, it even trumped the shower scene :D

• Like 14
  • Blob 5

12 minutes ago, agenth said:

However, I must say he looked the loveliest when he was making coffee. Something about that hair, the gaze and the lights hitting in the café at the right time...

I agree the coffee scene was something else entirely. Also who takes the super expensive shoes and visits a Beach and then keeps the shows near to water line lmao.

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

I'm LoLing at otp's nickname - "Dimple Couple", it make them sound like some couple from Bollywood LoL? They do have cute dimpled smiles. 

All roads lead to Doo Shik eh LoL? There's nothin' he can't do.. How does he have energy to be everywhere all at once ha-ha? 

I liked how kind he was with the elders in Gonjin. Also the interaction with Grandma Kim. 

Hye Jin is your typical K-Drama fl. She gets hit with the worst luck. No wonder Chief Hong said she was slow LoL. I liked how kind she was as well with the 2 kids. Does the lil girl have albino? Her dyed hair is unorthodox. 

OooO that epilogue though... Does this mean Chief Hong has fallen for Hye Jin already?? :heart2beat:

P/s: Agreed on her foolishness to leave behind pricey shoes so close to the shore? And then she drove without paying attention to the tyre pressure warning LoL aigoo~ Er the other thing that bugged me is she didn't have ca$h not even small change! 

• Like 10
  • LOL 3

Thank you all for the goodies! :-)

Could you guys help me? Does Chief Hong speak casually with the grannies as well? It seems so but maybe it's not entirely banmal. It's important because I'm going to translate it from english and in my language there also are formal and informal ways of speaking. Thank you in advance!

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, anyeze said:

Thank you all for the goodies! :-)

Could you guys help me? Does Chief Hong speak casually with the grannies as well? It seems so but maybe it's not entirely banmal. It's important because I'm going to translate it from english and in my language there also are formal and informal ways of speaking. Thank you in advance!

Yes he speaks banmal with everyone, especially with the female from the second he met her :D.

It surprised me because she didn't immediately object when meeting him, only later. He is using the speech for friends. 

Everyone else doesn't object either: I suppose his quirks are well-known through the village, as he knows everyone and helps them, and has been in the village for some time. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

8 hours ago, agenth said:

I really like the feel of this drama so far, especially the last minute when they showed the impression HE had of HER.

I am starting to fall in love with this town however, maybe because the director also knew how to win me over: showing a sunrise in the first scene. Granted, it was about Seoul, but I really like the cinematography. It reminds me of Lovestruck in the City (much like Seonho's hair, outfit, and surfing).

Yes! I loved that epilogue, especially since he had seemed a bit callous toward her during the entire show. And I had that thought, too, that it had some Lovestruck in the City vibes. Beautifully-shot, engaging show right off the bat.

It made me laugh that she was in that outfit the entire show. Goodness. But I appreciated that while she needed some help (as we all do sometimes), she was willing to earn the money she needed to. The moral of her story this first episode was, "I can do hard things." :lol: And she was kind to those two munchkins.

• Like 11

I have lived in both mega cities and in a village and if I could - I would move to my tiny village by the sea ASAP. However, my job is bound to the city so maybe one day when I retire lol.

Just saw the first episodes and loved it. Warm, smart, and charming! Looking forward to the next episode. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 10
  • Blob 1

• Maetawinz changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha ☀️ 갯마을 차차차 - Shin Min Ah & Kim Seon HO ☀️ Sat. & Sun. 21:00