[Drama 2021] The Road: The Tragedy of One, 더 로드: 1의 비극

larus

1 hour ago, backstreetboysfan said:
  Hide contents

OMG nooo their little boy why!:tears:.

Spoiler

I don't think it was their little boy. There was glasses and the camera strewn on the ground. It was their son's friend. I think his father in law and all his cohorts maybe trying to frame him? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

Premiere Watch: The Road: Tragedy of One

by missvictrix

premwatch_theroadtragofone.jpg

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Mystery, thriller
Episode count: 12

It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there is no denying that The Road: Tragedy of One has nailed its dark, juicy, and intriguing tone. If you haven’t been keeping up with the news around this drama, it stars Ji Jin-hee, which is a reason to watch in and of itself. But in case you need more reasons, it’s about power hungry ambition, tragedy, chaebol greed, desperate parents, and a whole lot of scheming. The fantastic Yoon Se-ah and Kim Hye-eun also star. The drama has a familiar feel to me for some reason, perhaps because it fits into that wonderful niche of dramas about middle-aged characters caught in a web of power, greed, and revenge. I’m thinking of dramas like Mine, Graceful Friends, and Secret Boutique — but I’m also excited to see what new intrigues this drama brings to the table.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/08/premiere-watch-the-road-tragedy-of-one/

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/08/688_313425.html
Actor Ji Jin-hee drawn to his character in 'The Road: Tragedy of One' challenge

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2021-08-05

480E7AC5-FB6F-4CBB-8BBB-9B78C13C9FE7.jpg
Actors Yoon Se-ah, from left, Ji Jin-hee and Kim Hye-eun pose for pictures during an online media conference for tvN's series "The Road: Tragedy of One," Wednesday. Courtesy of tvN

Actor Ji Jin-hee has built an extensive portfolio across TV series and films, starring in different genre works, including the JTBC drama "Undercover" that ended in April. 

Despite his previous experience, the actor is set on to take another challenge with tvN's new series "The Road: Tragedy of One," which kicked off Wednesday. 

"I wanted to take a break (after 'Undercover'), but when I read the script for this series, I was instantly drawn to it … The story was complex but I thought it would be great if we put it together well," the actor said during an online media conference for the series, Wednesday. 

"I knew that I would have to portray a character that I've never played before. So it was a challenge for me. I was worried but I was thankful that director Kim Noh-won convinced me and said he wants to capture a different side of me." 

Based on the Japanese crime novel of the same name by Rintaro Norizuki, the mystery thriller series revolves around an influential journalist and news presenter Baek Soo-hyun who is married to the heiress and miniature artist Seo Eun-soo (Yoon Se-ah).

Soo-hyun has been investigating corruption inside a conglomerate owned by Eun-soo's father, Seo Ki-tae (Chun Ho-jin), and its political ties with lawmakers. When he is about to break the story, his son gets kidnapped leading to the revelation of an even bigger secret. 

D7DA49D9-9B3B-4C39-94F8-9A8E17D07F95.jpg
A scene from the series / Courtesy of tvN

Ji said his character is a much-respected journalist with a secret past, which triggers tragedy in the story. He expressed that he didn't want to portray a stereotypical news presenter. 

"Although he's an anchor, I wanted him to have more dimensions … There are a set of images when you think of an anchor," he said. "But I wanted him to look natural, yet at the same time also have that charisma as an anchor. So I studied several people in setting the tone of my character."

Director Kim noted that the mystery will unfold as the story follows the secret of each character.

"The mystery in our series is not only about finding out who is behind the crime and how it happened, but is also about how the characters define truth in their own terms," he said, adding that the central theme of the series is how choices affect people's lives. "The collection of different choices we make define ourselves and our lives … each character has their own truth so it would be interesting to follow as you try to guess what they are." 

Actress Kim Hye-eun plays the antagonist, Cha Seo-young, who is a news presenter at the network where Soo-hyun works and is also a friend of Eun-soo. Although she has a successful job and lives affluently, her ambition continues to drive her to climb higher up the corporate ladder. 

The actress expressed that the role was a turning point in her acting career. 

"When I read the script, I loved the story but my character seemed so complex," she said. "And as I started working on it, I realized that this series has taught me a lot. I had reached a certain limitation in action. But this series, unexpectedly, helped me to break that barrier." 

"The Road: Tragedy of One" airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:50 p.m.

—-

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065589997990235
tvN's latest drama 'The Road: Tragedy of One' starts off at 3.4 percent in viewership

2021-08-05

22DA3FE5-6726-4BB3-B9E2-D6765055EFC5.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by tvN, shows new drama "The Road: Tragedy of One." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Aug. 5 (Yonhap) -- While most of the public's attention is focused on the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, tvN's Wednesday-Thursday drama "The Road: Tragedy of One," started out with a stable viewership of 3 percent by developing a series of tense scenes. 

The first episode of "The Road," which aired at 10:50 p.m. on Wednesday, recorded 3.4 percent in viewer ratings. JTBC's Wednesday-Thursday drama "Monthly Magazine Home" was at 2.9 percent.

In the pilot episode of "The Road," Baek Soo-hyun (Ji Jin-hee), S.Korea's most trusted national anchor, is preparing for a scoop on the collusion between his father-in-law Seo Ki-tae (Cheon Ho-jin), who is also the chairman of a conglomerate business, and Hwang Tae-seop (Kim Roi-ha), a fourth-term lawmaker. However, while Baek is searching for evidence, his son Yeon-woo is kidnapped. 

The process of Baek rushing around to find his son was portrayed in an intense atmosphere, but when Seo is shown to be Yeon-woo at the end of the episode, "The Road" succeeds in making the audience question all the characters' intentions. 

The drama's fast-paced story development, production, transformations and enthusiastic performances of the main characters also succeeds in catching the eye of the audiences. 

As the cast members mentioned at the press conference for "The Road," the process of tracking the truth in an entangled secret and fierce psychological competition between major characters are expected to be the focal point of the drama.

Currently, MBC TV's "On the Verge of Insanity" and JTBC's "Monthly Magazine Home" are heading towards the end, giving "The Road" a chance to shine after the Olympics.  (END).

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

40 minutes ago, Helena said:

I knew that I would have to portray a character that I've never played before. So it was a challenge for me.

This is why I only watched for less than 10mins and then I stop. I can't watch JJH as a bad person. He is too stunning to be bad.
I knew I will continue to watch the drama, but will wait for another 12 hours until eps 2 is release.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Finished episode 1 after subbed. This has a Misty vibes on it with JJH as lead man on both. Misty also started on a rainy day with a crime investigation but The Road's story line seems more entangled. But the reason I mentioned Misty is not only because of the crime drama narrative but also because of JJH kiss scenes that are steamy, urgent, and intense in both dramas. The actresses also were great in those scenes in both dramas. 

Back to The Road. I have a feeling that Baek Soo Hyun was set up by his father in law. When Soo Hyun went to his father in law Seo Ki Tae to ask for help for the ransom of his "kidnapped son", his father in law acted as if it was just another business deal. Seo Ki Tae, at one time wanted Soo Hyun to accept the offer of being the Press Secretary for the President but Soo Hyun refused because he wanted to continue his work as the hot shot news Anchor dedicated to "telling the truth" through his TV news broadcast. Seo Hyun now is investigating and wanting to announce to the world the illegal slash fund records of the wealthy Seo Ki Tae who is the Chairman/owner of Jegang Group a steel mining company. But his informant seems to have been set up also by his father in law. He received a  phone call but the voice seemed to have been disguised that his son was kidnapped and ransom needed. His father in law made a deal with him that if he helps Soo Hyun with the ransom, Soo Hyun must enter into politics. Later Soo Hyun received directions to where he should go find his son and deliver the ransom but he was attacked and was brought to the hospital unconscious. When he awoke, his wife was by his bed and the investigating detective surprised Seo Hyun. They knew each other from before. It seems they have a connection about a case long ago. Seo Hyun earlier had flashbacks in his car as a young man running scared in a rice field or cornfield. He was not alone. Was the detective perhaps the one with him in that daydream? When he was driving around looking for the person asking for the ransom, he had flashbacks also of his son telling him that he had never attended his baseball games. It was at that moment when he thought that he could lose his son that he felt the burden of regret and guilt that he could not even grant his son a simple request. When he went to the murder scene he was distraught but then his observant, keenly intuitive mind observed the scene, saw the glasses and the camera and he stopped. He knew it was not his son. His analytical mind took over. Did he suspect that his father in law had anything to do with this? It was shown earlier that Seo Ki Tae had his grandson safely ensconced sleeping in his bed. Hwang Tae Seob, the politician assemblyman who owes his position in the Assembly to Seo Ki Tae was shown entering his house with bloodied shirt. Seo Ki Tae's concubine wants inheritance for herself and her son whom Seo Ki Tae labeled as "dirty laundry". He would not allow concubine's son to attend the party because he did want the elite to know about the "dirty laundry". Anyway, it is only the first episode but there is plenty to unpack and questions to be answered. We shall see what happens in the next episode. 

In the preview shows Seo Hyun's thoughts "I can't let the past spill into the waters on my own, with live each day paying for the cost of the past". What is happened in the past between Detective Sim Seok Hun and Seo Hyun? He also thinks that the kidnapping was planned that succeeded when he made a perfect mistake. I agree. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

The clift hanger. Why you leave me hanging like that?!   

I somehow new it was th school friend that got murdered and not the son!  The anguish then relief seeing that it wasn['t the son but the son's friend that wa murdered.

Was confusing at first but I got the gist of it.

Baek Soo Hyun and his powerful feared wealthy Father in law  wants the same master list which has the name of the corrupt officials and powerful people.

You should know htye don't see eye to eye.. meaning there's animosity between them

BSH, a news achor knows of the corruption and bribery.  He's married to Seo Eun Soo  the daughter of a powerful wealthy man Seo Ki Tae- who probably gives donors to politicians -in return whatever he wants they obey. And  since it's only ep 1.. it's hinted as well that Soo Hyun may have done bad thing in past os involve in scandal.

BSH need to have master list which contains names of powerful people emboriled in the corrution  Everybody around him is corrupt basically I mean even father in law. (It's how kdrama works). The original list is with Pil Soo, the man he's trying to get after.. but his father in law is also after the same man.  Now before master list of corrupt people and -money laundering and donors ( you know the drill.. about this arc) Pil Soo demanaded Cryptocurrency and miliions and as a collateral he threatened BSH that something bad will happen to his son.  If something was to happen and he goes down. Something bad will happen to the son, kidnap...worse killed.

I think It's the father in law who's doing threat threat to Pill Soo. I'm not clear as to who did the kidnapping but it turns out it was the son's friend who was abducted murdered (it's a tragedy!) 

SKT-- the father in law has Yeon Woo safe and sound aleep in a room. The heck! I think he's also going to make his grandson as the collateral. The way to get BSH .. is through his son.

Kin Hye Eun character is  Cha Seo Young I think is the other the child that was murdered. She and Eun Soo seem to be close as was their children but .. joon young is murdered. Her husband here is th character of Ahn Nae Sang.. who seems to be  at her beck and call. Meaning she's the dominant demanding wife.

Now SKT has a mistress with ason and they both live in SKT royal hill  mansion and wantts to be on the will of SKT. She's jealous of  Eun Soo because she feels SKT will leave a will to daughter and grandson instead of to her and her son

So episode 1  showed us he other characters in this drama  All thee characters will  be entangled with each other.

I'm waiting for episode 2 raw then sub.

1 hour ago, admonike said:

This is why I only watched for less than 10mins and then I stop. I can't watch JJH as a bad person. He is too stunning to be bad.
I knew I will continue to watch the drama, but will wait for another 12 hours until eps 2 is release.

@admonike Should  finish the whole episode and see the anguished of JJH character upon finding out his child was abducted then finding it out was  actually his son's friend.

ikr.

Yes

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Baek Soo Hyun's weakness is his son. But Seo Ki Tae his powerful father in law... made sure the child is safe and will likey use the child to even get the upper hand on him. Meanwhile Seo Eun Soo.... seems to have trauma. I'm not sure of what yet.

cto/twtr

E7__V--VgAUOZTM?format=jpg&name=small

And Cha Seo Young.....I'm not quite sure yet about her character but....

Drama is for mature audience..okay.

I also want to know. 

It's the scene between Kim Eun Hye and and Ahn Naesang. They are married couple here.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, jongski said:

I think It's the father in law who's doing threat threat to Pill Soo. I'm not clear as to who did the kidnapping but it turns out it was the son's friend who was abducted murdered (it's a tragedy!) 

Pil Soo knew who Baek Seo Hyun's son is so I don't think he will make the mistake of kidnapping and killing the wrong boy. The phone call of the kidnapper who was asking for cryptos as payment was a disguised voice. I do not think it was Pil Soo whom Seo Hyun was speaking too when he was negotiating for the life of his son. I think Pil Soo was also set up by the father in law. At the end, I think Seo Hyun knew he was set up and outfoxed by his father in law. In the preview Seo Hyun accuses his father in law of obtaining the original copies of the "list" which his father in law denies. I think the Assembly man who was supported by Seo Ki Tae with the blood in his shirt, who was chain smoking and who was observing in the balcony the entrance of the guests to the party, may have something to do with the kidnapping. He saw Seo Hyun's wife hang a camera on the boy's neck and then give him a hug. He may have mistaken the boy as Seo Hyun's son. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

I posted that Kim Eun Hye Ah Naseang  scene. Here's from our main leads.

It's the back for me!

And before I forget... there's that brief shower scene.

Drama airs late at night. Now you now. JJH looks just dapper suave sexy in his character!

And as with previous JJH  drama.he's always a father first and formost.. no matter what. There should be a kdrama versIon of Taken with JJH as lead.  I'm waiting for the raws/sub of ep 2

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Yay, it's on Viki!  Someone mentioned it,, but forgot who.  I thought I checked for the upcoming dramas on viki and didn't see this drama listed.  I hope it's considered standard since I don't have a viki pass.  I watched it this morning, while working (lol), on my small phone on another site.  

I don't know why, but I find Ji Jin Hee pretty sexy when he frowns :tounge_wink:

Off to rewatch ep 1.  I got lost with all the different names and characters.  While I was watching, I was thinking who is that? who?  This was me watching lol

Who Is This GIF by Trombone Shorty

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

“The Road: The Tragedy Of One” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode As “Hospital Playlist 2” Returns To Air

9c64bf8a710d43d2a4299c0446c05bd6.jpeg?s=

Aug 6, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “The Road: The Tragedy of One” is off to a promising start!

“The Road: The Tragedy of One” is a new mystery drama about the residents of a luxury estate and a tragic incident that takes place one night in the pouring rain—as well as the silence and cover-up that ensue, which give rise to many entangled secrets and leave further tragedies in their wake.

On August 5, the new drama saw its viewership ratings rise for its second episode, which scored a nationwide average of 4.0 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1482450wpp/the-road-the-tragedy-of-one-ratings-rise-for-2nd-episode-as-hospital-playlist-2-returns-to-air

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Plan to watch pilot eps this weekend. There are not much spoiler in twitter and instagram, since this drama not everyone's/youngster fave genre. I'll keep my curiousity and will be back again after watching.

Happy the rating is starting good and rising up in eps 2! :yay:

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, vienvien said:

I suspected it.

Reveal hidden contents

The other boy was also his son

I suspected it.

Reveal hidden contents

The wife Seo Eun was the one who informed the police of the kidnapping although they were warned not to or else the son will be killed.

She plays a part in the kidnapping.

The kidnapper has to put down the phone to call her what her son call the snow globe ( which BSH wanted to confirm the child is alive ).

She is probably helping her father and hating the child ( She knows)

Really a double faced woman  pretending to be docile and all.

I suspected it.

Reveal hidden contents

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, lila21 said:
  Hide contents

I don't think it was their little boy. There was glasses and the camera strewn on the ground. It was their son's friend. I think his father in law and all his cohorts maybe trying to frame him? 

5 hours ago, vienvien said:

I suspected it.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah I did as well, knew it.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

OMG!!!! What a reveal!!! Baek Seo Hyun is the most hypocritical scoundrel of them all. He is scarier than Seo Ki Tae who is probably unforgiving of people who try to swindle him in business but I don't think he will murder an innocent child. Therefore, it is possible that the murderer of Choi Joon-Young knew that he was Seo Hyun's child with Cha Seo Yeon, the anchorwoman of nightly news and did it for revenge. Baek Seo Hyun made a name for himself as the news truth finder and revealer but his life is a lie. He is willing to manipulate the news and lie to the public using his own family as the bait to obtain what he wants, the master list of his father in law's illegal funds. He seems to love his wife who is timid for a chaebol daughter but he seems not to care about what she does nor takes time to spend some quality time with her and he has never gone even once to his son's baseball games who is now 12 years old. He may love them but it seems he will use even them for his ambitions. However, he might not know his timid wife well as he thinks. She is hiding something from him, the black box containing documents. Was it the will naming her son as sole heir which she would not keep a secret because executor lawyers, estate planner lawyers, and her father would have copies of the will anyway. Is it the "list"? Was he being played by his father in law saying that he does not have "the master list" which will be the truth if his daughter has it? Hide it plain site makes it harder to find? This went from "who done it" to "who is lying and who is telling the truth? In just one episode there are many surprising revelations, it is head spinning? What? Who? Why? Huh? 

1 hour ago, vienvien said:

The kidnapper has to put down the phone to call her what her son call the snow globe ( which BSH wanted to confirm the child is alive ).

She is probably helping her father and hating the child ( She knows)

Really a double faced woman  pretending to be docile and all.

I was wondering why she put the camera on the child's neck and then knelt down and hugged him saying, "i love you my child". She was identifying the child to the kidnapper. I did not think of that. Is her timid act and act then? 

7 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I have a feeling that Baek Soo Hyun was set up by his father in law as well.

Now, I am unsure of who is setting up whom. They are both manipulators and finaglers and this is only ep 2. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5
  • Blob 1

Ohmygawd! is correct! the murdered child is BSH child with CHS! I I never suspected it from  ep 1. but wow.

When BSH said "I killed my own son" he's trying to say that because of doing his own investigation and wanting that master list.. it put the the child  in danger. He never intended it for it to happen.  I don't think everyone knows that the murdered child was his son. Unless of course Eun Soo knows. Wait...WTH! is that why she's all friendly with Seon Young on the phone  (ep1) like SY instructed her  for the child to be dress in suit as well.. woah!

Also..does SY daughter jknow that the the joon young. is only her stepbrother and the son of Soo Hyun. Is that why there's animosity between the mother and daughter? Oh and does the her husband know that the child is SH?????

these are side stories to the character's relationship that will blow over once their've lives are dissected on air. SH being  famous  anchor trying to reveal the names of the corrupt officials.

As for the mastermind...Seok Pil is dead, he actually doesn't have the master list and whoever murdered him is the one that's pulling the strings.

The suspects: Chairman Seo.  Assemblyman Hwang.  The chairman's mistress.  And.....

I think.. CHS daugher  Se Ra and  Chairmain's mistress son Joon wook.. well actually I don't know what the deal because.. I don't know what the heck that scene was when she said.. stop callling me when her phone kept ringing.

Then there's the brother of Soo Hyun.. which I'm confused because he knows  Soo Hyun's secret and lies. But wait..... don't tell me he's  the real father of Yeon Woo????

As for Eun Soo..... I'm still confuse and haven't made up my mind yet. Does she even know that the child who was murdered was her husband's son?

Kin Eun Hye ! She's stealing the show.

ICYMI.. JJH seyx! nope not onlyfans.. just sc of the shower scene! :o

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, jongski said:

Also..does SY daughter jknow that the the joon young. is only her stepbrother and the son of Soo Hyun. Is that why there's animosity between the mother and daughter? Oh and does the her husband know that the child is SH?????

I think Se Ra  knows that Joon Young is not her brother and I think Lawyer Choi, the husband knows. At the viewing in the morgue, he just stood there not even looking or touching the child while Seo Young was screaming bent over her child in agony. I now think that Seo Ki Tae, lawyer Choi and the politician were all in on the plan but I don't know if Choi Nam Kyu, the husband wanted the child to be killed. As for the father in law, Seo Ki Tae, would he really want a child killed? Does he know the real father of the child?  How about Se Ra and her friend? Does Seo Ki Tae know that her right hand man and concubine are lovers? 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1