[Drama 2021/2022] Immortality/ Bulgasal: Immortal Souls, 불가살

larus

2 hours ago, PororoQueen said:

Yes Chingu!, you're right @Kathia 

The CPR scenes, mouth to mouth rescue breathing ??

Hmmm i know it's not romantic enough for first kiss, because Hwal was unconscious or pretend to be one. LOL

Lol, though the Blonde boy suggest it that way, probably the reason he ran away with lame excuses but the way they took the video was in a different perspective. It was a life or death situation. The way she did the chest compressions(arms and forearm straight, overlapping hands) and the 2 rescue breath was almost real like. I couldn't feel any romance at all from that scene except she was trying to safe him and the background music fits that scene well. 

If I remember correctly, Eul Tae said Bulgasal can destroy a soul and they can be reborn upto 8 times. 

So the elder twin, Sang Yeon with the scar had died 7x previously and the 8th time she was born as a twin. 

Probably she didn't want the curse to end. Her ultimate purpose in life looks like to destroy Eul Tae's existence. 

So she may have cursed herself to be born as a twin,  but her twin has a new body, with the soul of Hwal and without memories. 

So Song Yeon has only the memories and scars, but she had passed over the real soul to a new body that can live another 8 times to kill Eul Tae.

I have a feeling Hwal will regret for hating Sang Woon when he gets to know his real past and the real her. 

Kudos to Kwon Nara. I have seen all her dramas and this is one that she has shown different emotions and expressions. 

Her sisterly instinct is definitely admirable. I guess it comes naturally when you have siblings. 

Definitely love all the other characters as well.

I started watching this as the trailer was amazing.

Edited by Bleu Winter
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 2

The way characters act towards each other is a big hint. People who were acquaintances in the past share some sort of connection (the blonde-haired boy and the detective are kind towards the little sister, who was supposingly the mother and daughter respectively). However, neither of them have bitter feelings towards Sang Woon, who was reborn just like them, which proves she was not the culprit. Because if she were the one who killed them, their souls would feel sort of a red flag. In fact, when the detective saw Eul Tae, he clearly knew that he was evil and a bulgasal, whereas with Sang Woon he just wants to protect her.

I wonder why Hwal doesn't see any of this, even though he is 600 years old. Is he blinded by hate? I don't think so. He has been searching for her for many years, and finally has her, and doesn't kill her? Just because of her sister? I doubt it. He really felt hate towards her, but now he is confused after meeting her, since she is someone kind, who cares for her sister. I bet he thought she would be evil still, but found no evil traces in her at all. How could he kill someone so warm-hearted?

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

Haha, I am enjoying this a lot. Part of me can't believe what I am seeing - all the blood and gore and supernatural, mythical storyline that I would normally not be that into, but it's like this show has some sort of spell over me. I feel weirdly drawn to it. It's hypnotized me or something.

• Like 6

Bulgasal: Immortal Souls: Episodes 5-6 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Bulgasal0506_1.jpg

After facing a common enemy, our hero’s blood feud has become even more complicated. His anger against our heroine remains as strong as ever, but now he must bargain with her if he’s going to get to the bottom of his cursed fate, and bring about the ending he’s long been planning for.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

https://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Bulgasal0506_2.jpg

I am waaaaay too into this show, and I love the direction we took this week — with the fate and hate and tension and fear and yearning practically bursting from each scene. High drama! It was also especially great to have more of Lee Joon on screen finally. His performance this week left me slack-jawed. (Why is he so good at being a deranged villain in Rococo-esque suits and settings?)

Back to where to left off last week, though: Hwal and Sang-eon barely escape with their lives from the bulgasal encounter. After leaving the scene, and an unconscious Detective Kwon, Hwal heads back to home base, as it were, with Sang-eon. His somehow poetically dilapidated house acts as the safe house for everyone (despite it not being remotely secure, considering every few minutes someone else appears at the door).

While Sang-eon recovers, Hwal gazes at her with a glance that’s hard to decode — it looks a bit like desire, but then transforms into this rage that’s hard for him to control. This happens all throughout our episodes this week, actually. He both saves Sang-eon and almost slaughters her multiple times; he grabs her neck with murder in his eyes, and yet bandages her ankle which has been all but crushed from a monster. Theirs is an interesting story, for sure.

Much to my satisfaction, we revisit the murder of 15 years ago, and see how the whole scene played out. We’ve had so many bits and pieces of this, but this time, we get the whole thing. This includes the Lee Joon bulgasal brutally killing Sang-yeon, and even more importantly, the wisdom that she shares as she dies. The bulgasal chuckles that her soul was split in two, but that he’ll just kill both of them — however, Sang-yeon says that he won’t be able to kill her sister. She continues that “the dark hole won’t go away” and that her sister will “put everything back in its place.”

Dark hole references aside, this is making a lot more sense now. Sang-eon definitely seems to be a wild card in this centuries-long fate. Perhaps she’ll be changing the direction of that fate once and for all?

Hwal wrestles with the presence of this second bulgasal; he was always under the impression there was only one (and we get a flashback of General Dan telling him so). Even so, Hwal knows he has to figure out this bulgasal’s part in the story and kill him before he takes his own soul back and becomes mortal again.

The story doesn’t make us wait long, and I kind of like the aggressive way the Lee Joon bulgasal thrusts himself into the story. In fact, we learn he’s been around for a long time; he has hunted down all of Sang-yeon/Sang-eon’s past reincarnations and killed her. Now, he literally calls up Hwal for an opulent lunch and asks him to join forces.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/01/bulgasal-immortal-souls-episodes-5-6-open-thread/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, Fummagirl said:

I have this question lee joon could be  Hwai brother  the before this life time did you see the paining it show sang woo and hai going separate way and he monster like dying

Judging from the painting, it seems that both Hwal & Sang un/Sang Yeon were supposed to be deities. They had that yellow circle thing on the head called halo which usually often seen on deities in some religions.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:25 AM, thistle said:

My impression of that scene was different.  I thought it was a humorous expression of the fact that he didn't want to give the "kiss of life" to Hwal in case it would make him have gay feelings, and he ran away the way a kid will do when he is faced with a problem he doesn't know how to deal with.  This is the sort of jest that I have seen sometimes in other dramas, so I didn't see it as a dramatic red flag. 

Of course, I could easily be wrong (and I often am) but the scene made me laugh.

I hope so. I personally like his character a lot. He always bring  bright atmosphere on each scenes. However, it's mentioned that He has a lot of scenes with Lee joon. That's why a lot of people become suspicious.

• Like 7
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, illay said:

I hope so. I personally like his character a lot. He always bring  bright atmosphere on each scenes. However, it's mentioned that He has a lot of scenes with Lee joon. That's why a lot of people become suspicious.

What? He has a lot of scenes with Lee Joon? Wow, that shocked me! I wonder how they'll meet in the drama. Maybe Eul Tae will find Hwal's house? Maybe take him as hostage? Now it sounds even more intriguing. I'm really loving this drama a lot, and OST is good too.

• Like 5

Hello,

I don’t know why, but I’m a bit obsessed with this show and that made me return to Soompi after a few years without comment over Korean dramas. In fact, last couple of years had me not so much into Korean dramas, but now this has changed with Bulgasal.

I must confess that I was feeling myself a bit annoyed by comments in other sites, which ones were affecting my pleasure while watching the drama. But, it seems to me that this forum has a more amiable ambiance and so here I am (sorry if I can’t say what I just said now, I don’t remember very well soompi’s rules).

I’m loving the pace, the story and the aesthetics of this drama. I think also that every actor and actress are doing a very fine job.

About the pace, what I find interesting is that (until now) it seems to me that the writers are building the story in phases, each phase corresponding to a weekend episodes: P1 – I would call it pre-drama or introduction: first episode the story of Hwal and how he became a bulgasal; second episode, the development of Hwal’s bulgasal life, the introduction and strugglers of the twins, culminating in the present time. P2 – I would call it lost-and-found: episodes 3 and 4, the introduction of important secondary characters, most importantly this phase shows the leads in the processes of finding and loosing each other, first impressions, great misunderstandings. P3 – I would call it push-and-pull: episodes 5 e 6, the misunderstandings go on, but now they need to work (and live) together: time and opportunity to break first impressions and pre-conceptions.

One thing that I find really good is the aesthetics of the four leads. First, the bad bulgasal is clearly inspired (at least to me) by vampire’s movies. First, I thought that there was a big influence of Dracula portraited fantastically by Gary Oldman in “Bram Stoker’s Dracula”, full of sensuality and eroticism, very eros and Thanatos. But then I remembered “Interview with the Vampire” and the character of Lestat (Tom Cruise) and I think now that this movie is more influential here than Dracula, in especial with its French renaissance figurine.

Contrary to the flamboyant bad bulgasal, Hwal is very minimalist, sombre and rather ascetic. I think this contrast striking and intentional, as in the opposition between Dionisius and Apollo. The asceticism in Hwal is an important component in his personality, specially with his choice/fight to not drink human blood: his visuals match very well with his character.

The girls. There is here also a contrast: although Si-ho doesn’t wear (I think) brandy clothing, but she is very fashionable in a streetwear way, and this detail enhance her youth and beauty. By contrast, Sang-un …eh … what can I say … is as “ajuma” lol: she is the expression of someone who is not into fashion at all, but more than that, she wears deliberately clothes that make her old and ugly (that is really impossible but … lol). I think that this detail is also intentional and let us see the ability that Sang-un has to hide herself: she is beautiful, but beauty isn’t an advantage for someone who needs to stay hidden, unnoticed: so, ajumanlike cloths – ugly, but practical and comfortable, and despite their floral patterns they are just indifferent. 

I would like to add, for now, that I think Sang-un a really refreshing heroine. Because she is just a down-to-earth character. Sometimes I become very tired of some female characters who ought to be badass or very strong-willed to be good. However, save few exceptions, most of us normal women are very little badass and strong-willed, which doesn’t mean that we are not competent and very much capable of many things. And I think that, although in a fantasy story, Sang-un is a very real character. She is someone with a great and necessary ability, that is to protect herself and her sister and again and again scape to a new and safe place. She has been doing that for fifteen years (I see many critics against her in this regard, however I think that, within the drama structural logic, she is very good in it). Another good trait: she has emotional intelligent – when Hwal said to her that she couldn’t go to her house, she said I will, he answered saying that the bad bulgasal would be there: here, in this detail, rest a big difference in contrast to most “strong-willed” female character who would go there just to make a point. We see that she ponders and decides that he was right. And this brings me to one more wonderful  trait of her: her ability to keep her agency without being badass (at least in the sense that I understand it): to me, this is again a brilliant trait. We could witness it at work in two times: first on thet moment, already cited, when she said that he misunderstood her and that was she who decided to stay with him; the second, and the best, in the last part of episode six, when she said that it was her decision to offer herself to him, tha she had choices and she will use her choices following her understanding. No Hwal, you can’t take her agency away!:)

Bye!

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

So I checked Eul Tae's painting again. Sang Woon is facing the painting, while the male bulgasal is not (we only see his back). This is soooooo suspicious. Is Eul Tae the real bulgasal? Don't tell me that Hwal was actually a bulgasal originally? Did Eul Tae do something to get Sang Woon? Ohhh can't wait to know!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Kathia said:

So I checked Eul Tae's painting again. Sang Woon is facing the painting, while the male bulgasal is not (we only see his back). This is soooooo suspicious. Is Eul Tae the real bulgasal? Don't tell me that Hwal was actually a bulgasal originally? Did Eul Tae do something to get Sang Woon? Ohhh can't wait to know!

We don’t yet who was the original Bulgasal it was sang soon or eul tar I Bulgasal we only know this that hey was crused by birth and  sang won save him since he was a child. Thr rest we all trying to find the information 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, illay said:

However, it's mentioned that He has a lot of scenes with Lee joon.

speculation in spoiler, since it's just my guessing

Spoiler

if Eul Tae has discovered that blonde boy had been Hwal's son, then he might make use of him against Hwal.. so the "sword" won't be able to slay him.

i think one chingu did mention that he said in an interview that his character is like a blank piece of paper, if he gets close to dark, he might turn darker.. if Eul Tae were to make use of the info that Hwal as his dad in the past life caused the death of him and his mom, he might turn against Hwal.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

speculation in spoiler, since it's just my guessing

Hide contents

if Eul Tae has discovered that blonde boy had been Hwal's son, then he might make use of him against Hwal.. so the "sword" won't be able to slay him.

i think one chingu did mention that he said in an interview that his character is like a blank piece of paper, if he gets close to dark, he might turn darker.. if Eul Tae were to make use of the info that Hwal as his dad in the past life caused the death of him and his mom, he might turn against Hwal.

He know that sang woo kill the family of hwi

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 12:59 PM, ninaanin said:

Hello,

I don’t know why, but I’m a bit obsessed with this show and that made me return to Soompi after a few years without comment over Korean dramas. In fact, last couple of years had me not so much into Korean dramas, but now this has changed with Bulgasal.

I must confess that I was feeling myself a bit annoyed by comments in other sites, which ones were affecting my pleasure while watching the drama. But, it seems to me that this forum has a more amiable ambiance and so here I am (sorry if I can’t say what I just said now, I don’t remember very well soompi’s rules).

I’m loving the pace, the story and the aesthetics of this drama. I think also that every actor and actress are doing a very fine job.

About the pace, what I find interesting is that (until now) it seems to me that the writers are building the story in phases, each phase corresponding to a weekend episodes: P1 – I would call it pre-drama or introduction: first episode the story of Hwal and how he became a bulgasal; second episode, the development of Hwal’s bulgasal life, the introduction and strugglers of the twins, culminating in the present time. P2 – I would call it lost-and-found: episodes 3 and 4, the introduction of important secondary characters, most importantly this phase shows the leads in the processes of finding and loosing each other, first impressions, great misunderstandings. P3 – I would call it push-and-pull: episodes 5 e 6, the misunderstandings go on, but now they need to work (and live) together: time and opportunity to break first impressions and pre-conceptions.

One thing that I find really good is the aesthetics of the four leads. First, the bad bulgasal is clearly inspired (at least to me) by vampire’s movies. First, I thought that there was a big influence of Dracula portraited fantastically by Gary Oldman in “Bram Stoker’s Dracula”, full of sensuality and eroticism, very eros and Thanatos. But then I remembered “Interview with the Vampire” and the character of Lestat (Tom Cruise) and I think now that this movie is more influential here than Dracula, in especial with its French renaissance figurine.

Contrary to the flamboyant bad bulgasal, Hwal is very minimalist, sombre and rather ascetic. I think this contrast striking and intentional, as in the opposition between Dionisius and Apollo. The asceticism in Hwal is an important component in his personality, specially with his choice/fight to not drink human blood: his visuals match very well with his character.

The girls. There is here also a contrast: although Si-ho doesn’t wear (I think) brandy clothing, but she is very fashionable in a streetwear way, and this detail enhance her youth and beauty. By contrast, Sang-un …eh … what can I say … is as “ajuma” lol: she is the expression of someone who is not into fashion at all, but more than that, she wears deliberately clothes that make her old and ugly (that is really impossible but … lol). I think that this detail is also intentional and let us see the ability that Sang-un has to hide herself: she is beautiful, but beauty isn’t an advantage for someone who needs to stay hidden, unnoticed: so, ajumanlike cloths – ugly, but practical and comfortable, and despite their floral patterns they are just indifferent. 

I would like to add, for now, that I think Sang-un a really refreshing heroine. Because she is just a down-to-earth character. Sometimes I become very tired of some female characters who ought to be badass or very strong-willed to be good. However, save few exceptions, most of us normal women are very little badass and strong-willed, which doesn’t mean that we are not competent and very much capable of many things. And I think that, although in a fantasy story, Sang-un is a very real character. She is someone with a great and necessary ability, that is to protect herself and her sister and again and again scape to a new and safe place. She has been doing that for fifteen years (I see many critics against her in this regard, however I think that, within the drama structural logic, she is very good in it). Another good trait: she has emotional intelligent – when Hwal said to her that she couldn’t go to her house, she said I will, he answered saying that the bad bulgasal would be there: here, in this detail, rest a big difference in contrast to most “strong-willed” female character who would go there just to make a point. We see that she ponders and decides that he was right. And this brings me to one more wonderful  trait of her: her ability to keep her agency without being badass (at least in the sense that I understand it): to me, this is again a brilliant trait. We could witness it at work in two times: first on thet moment, already cited, when she said that he misunderstood her and that was she who decided to stay with him; the second, and the best, in the last part of episode six, when she said that it was her decision to offer herself to him, tha she had choices and she will use her choices following her understanding. No Hwal, you can’t take her agency away!:)

Bye!

I agree. Your description about Sang Woon's clothes really humor me. Especially her floral motive long dress when she worked night shift at Laundry factory. I love the 2021 Sang Woon as a pure sweet girl. I can't wait to see SangWoon outfit when she become a 2021 Bulgasal (will she??) - I cannot imagine Sang Woon reincarnated again in the future as a "wonder woman" hero (with high heel)!

--------------------

In contrast, Hwal clothes also kinda plain and dark to me. He doesn't care about his clean appearance compare to Eul-Tae. I know Hwal has money (LOL he always carry cash in envelope) but I think he is not as smart as Goblin. Goblin invested his wealth in Goryeo  property land and became prosperous for future generation of his caretaker :D, but Hwal, nope. 

I think Sang Woon and Hwal can be a perfect sweet couple.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, PororoQueen said:

In contrast, Hwal clothes also kinda plain and dark to me. He doesn't care about his clean appearance compare to Eul-Tae. I know Hwal has money (LOL he always carry cash in envelope) but I think he is not as smart as Goblin. Goblin invested his wealth in Goryeo  property land and became prosperous for future generation of his caretaker :D, but Hwal, nope. 

Hah! My thoughts exactly. Even his house is scary. I suppose it's because he's trying to low-key exist among humans so as not to attract attention why he's been alive all these years. But yeah, he's pretty rich. He pays Detective Kwon's friend in gold bars!

• Like 6

Sangwoon already has some feelings for Hwal and its not just because he is her sword. 

Although she is confused because he is genuinely worried about Siho.

I wonder how SW will react when she finds out about the past.

Hwal was happy sitting in the corner like that, even though he 

would never admit that.   :D

FILwGmMX0AMVVs-?format=jpg&name=360x360

hmm... it seems to me that Eul Tae showed some  human feelings when he was in SW's room.  :unsure:

LJ_(8).jpg?type=w1200https://m.post.naver.com/my.naver?memberNo=10388754

• Like 7

16 hours ago, rocher22 said:

hmm... it seems to me that Eul Tae showed some  human feelings when he was in SW's room.  :unsure:

https://m.post.naver.com/my.naver?memberNo=10388754

Yes, he did. I think he loved her, but she never loved him back. A one-sided love, huh. He feels bitter and sad at the same time.

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote images! Thanks!
  • Like 6