[Drama 2021/2022] Immortality/ Bulgasal: Immortal Souls, 불가살

larus

36 minutes ago, Kathia said:

But it seems the writers forgot about that narrative, or just simply didn't care anymore.

Sadly, it is likely to be a bit of both.....or perhaps it had something to do with money. 

I believe that they began with a very big idea and that maybe it was too complex or too expensive to maintain.  All of those monster scenes and so on must have cost quite a lot to produce (special effects, costumes, sites, stunt performers, and more), so it I have wondered if this was why they came to a halt so suddenly and the story began to get a bit confused in the middle as though it had to be re-worked for some reason--this seemed to happen when all of the monsters suddenly disappeared.  There was some stuff that just didn't follow through.

Even though they were working with Netflix, there are limits to any budget.

Just guessing but this is something I've thought about.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Despite the show's many flaws, it was so much fun to discuss the drama here. I loved interacting with you all and share theories. Thank you for everything! It was a stressful but fun ride! :D

We have new dramas coming next weekend, so see you then ;)

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Kathia said:

I have some questions about the events from 600 years ago. Why ET dressed as Sangasal? We have our theories but still. Was Sangasal really trying to kill Hwal all those years? Then, why not kill him as a child? If ET's soul went to Hwal (made him human), and then, went to Sangasal (made her human), then his soul kept trapped in Sang Woon forever? Then, what about the monsters? Were curses over? But the show implied that only Hwal's curses ended, the monsters' curses were a totally different thing (different storyline).

My theory regarding what happened 600 years ago:

Ladybulgasal remained in the mountain waiting for Hwal. She didn't know he became human. She didn't even know about the existence of ET. She always had a soft spot for children and when she saw the Hwal child being abused, she  just saved him without knowing he was Hwal. Later when Hwal came back as adult she saw him and recognized him.

ET killed the soldiers and Si Ho + Do Yoon. She didn't see him killing them and she though it was Hwal (only a Bulgasal can do that much damage). SHe was mad that he killed all these people (including Si ho + DO yoon). So, she attacked Hwal in the heart to kill him. Her plan was to kill herself afterwards. However, by attacking his heart, his soul got transferred to her (When Bulgasal attacks your heart, they take your soul). If you look at the scene she looked surprised when she looked at the soul as it wasn't her intention.

Probably all of this was orchestrated by ET. He knew that she was waiting for Hwal and that she doesn't know he's human. So, he killed those people making it look like it was Hwal who did it.

• Like 8

I will go back to read everyone’s comments since I am now watching the last two episodes. 

My thoughts re show and ending

Spoiler

The theme is def ‘didn’t live up to its ambition’. Agreed with many others that the beginning was solid and entertaining but as the episodes went on —- the writing literally became a farce (it’s the show biggest weakness!!! The last 1/3 dragged too much with repetitiveness and the characters going in circles. Last weekend, we lost Ms Lee and this week, spent the whole episode going in circles and now lost Detective too. There’s no progress re the main arc point and no explanation until the very last episode was the wrong choice. Also too many inconsistencies and unexplained bits.

ep 16

So now we know what went down 1,000 years ago and they should have not made this the main climax and withheld it until the end. Messy with the whole misunderstanding being THE reason for this 1,000 year curse and suffering. The only thing I agree with is that Hwal ended the whole Bulgasal curse by killing himself. It’s time to end all this lol I am exhausted for them too lol. I was actually annoyed by Sang-UN trying to stop him because the way the writers wrote this - there was no other way. I knew they if Hwal died, Sang Un would too.

The actual ending of them meeting in the next life was a bit flat toned for me. She just got a photo and they just meet and felt a connection. Of course lol. I am sad they didn’t have an explanation for ET, he also deserved some closure. 

Cast - The supporting cast were really the highlight and they out acted the two leads - not that they were bad - just not as great to really convince me.
Lee Joon, Gong Seung Yeon (Shiho), Kim Woo Seok (Do Yoon), Park Myung Shin (Ms Lee), and Jeong Jin Yeong (Detective Kwon) were all excellent.  

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 7

Just came over to post some of my opinions on the ending

Lots of spoilers ahead~ 

Spoiler

The ending was underwhelming, but overall the show was not bad. 

The origin story for everyone was very simple for something they built up this entire 15 episode mystery around. I would have thought it would be much more complicated than FL leaves ML for humans, FL is attacked, ML is angered and attacks the villagers.

I really wanted the ending to be SU and Hwal both being bulgasal, living amongst the humans peacefully. ET should have been the one to reincarnate and have a second chance to live a happy life. His character, despite being blood-thirsty and greedy, was the most pitiful. 1000 years ago Hwal and SU were extremely powerful "monsters", while ET was weak even compared to the average human. He never received any love, nor did he ever receive his father's acknowledgement. It was also revealed that he only went crazy after the death of his mother, who was probably the one person who loved him. Hwal may have been left alone, but bulgalady was always there, and would have returned to him eventually. ET literally had no one by his side. He wasn't born evil, he just needed to be loved and accepted by someone, which would have made his reincarnation into a loving family much more meaningful. Hwal and SU reincarnating as humans makes very little sense since Bulgasal don't have souls. If Hwal, a bulgasal who killed an entire village and then proceeded to curse a few of them, creating generations of pain is able to be redeemed, I don't see why ET can't be. Furthermore Hwal and SU being bulgasal together would make up for Hwal having been a bulgasal who hated humans in the past. Having the both of them reincarnate as humans without memory of their past selves kind of dampens the point of Hwal's journey, although it does give the two a chance to start an actual family.

I'm happy everything worked out in the end, and it wasn't a completly tragic ending. I just wish some plotlines were handled better.  Le sigh...

• Like 9

Actually it’s perfect. They need to be completely shed of the horrors of the past, monsters and guilt. To be Just humans with the ability to live here and now in the moment. The love that was always there but always thwarted is still the same but now they can have their own family one day and that’s so special. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, andy78 said:

I FEEL THE SAME  MY FRIENDS!!!ALL WE CAN SAY IS :WE DESPISE YOU TVN! WE TRULY DESPISE YOU!!!

cr.: owner

although i still haven't watched the final 2 episodes (i'm back at work in office..) but this had me grinning from behind my mask lol

from all chingus' views, seems like the ending is good but probably not satisfactory for many..

i shall wait for another 6hrs when i finally get home, rested, and watch it with a nice cuppa

i might not be able to take the sadness when this scene comes up..

Spoiler

cr.: owner

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

tvN’s “Bulgasal” has ended on a high note!

On February 6, the series finale of the fantasy drama starring Lee Jin Wook and Kwon Nara achieved the show’s highest viewership ratings since its first week.

According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “Bulgasal” climbed to an average nationwide rating of 5.1 percent, marking the third-highest ratings of the drama’s entire run—and the first time since its premiere week that it managed to break 5 percent.

“Bulgasal” also took first place in its time slot across all cable channels among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it earned a nationwide average of 3.3 percent.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/bulgasal-enjoys-significant-rise-in-ratings-for-finale/#ixzz7KAyttREi

• Like 5

First of all, I want to cry; "Why it's already over" ... nothing that cherish me waiting the weekend to see Oppa Hwal !! Come back Lee Jin Wook Oppa!!

2nd, I want to cry; "Why there is still no Kiss"!! I mean, 1000 years ago they were a couple !!, is it that hard to let them have a goodbye kiss - is it becoz of the covid restrictions?

3rd, I demand a special episode just for Kwon Nara and Lee Jin Wook romance.

After all, it's a good drama, I rarely finish watching drama till the end. But Bulgasal drama kept me going (that's because I was rooting on each episode to see a kiss scene in the end tho:lol:). Bulgasal I love you!

bulgasal-episode-16-6-1024x436.jpg

Credit: www.leisurebyte.com

Look at them, Hwal is so handsome and Sang Woon is so pretty. I really ship them :heart:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

19 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Alright everyone...

Of course, this is their purpose to drag the 1000 year story to the end of the episode!

Good for them, not for meeeeeee!

17 hours ago, PororoQueen said:

First of all, I want to cry; "Why it's already over" ... nothing that cherish me waiting the weekend to see Oppa Hwal !! Come back Lee Jin Wook Oppa!!

2nd, I want to cry; "Why there is still no Kiss"!! I mean, 1000 years ago they were a couple !!, is it that hard to let them have a goodbye kiss - is it becoz of the covid restrictions?

3rd, I demand a special episode just for Kwon Nara and Lee Jin Wook romance.

After all, it's a good drama, I rarely finish watching drama till the end. But Bulgasal drama kept me going (that's because I was rooting on each episode to see a kiss scene in the end tho:lol:). Bulgasal I love you!

Credit: www.leisurebyte.com

Look at them, Hwal is so handsome and Sang Woon is so pretty. I really ship them :heart:

I know riiight???

Yeah it can be due to covid restriction.. But but but.... they could do PCR test befoooreeee, right???

I truly despise you, tvN!

It's not perfect, but IMO they succeed in keeping us curious and wait for another episode.

Anyways, great job to all the actors and the crew, they are all work hard for this.

Kudos!

Thank you for all of you here who have shared your thoughts, emotions, and theories!

See you!

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote images. Thanks!
  • Like 8

“Bulgasal” Enjoys Significant Rise In Ratings For Finale

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 7, 2022
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Bulgasal” has ended on a high note!

On February 6, the series finale of the fantasy drama starring Lee Jin Wook and Kwon Nara achieved the show’s highest viewership ratings since its first week.

According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “Bulgasal” climbed to an average nationwide rating of 5.1 percent, marking the third-highest ratings of the drama’s entire run—and the first time since its premiere week that it managed to break 5 percent.

“Bulgasal” also took first place in its time slot across all cable channels among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it earned a nationwide average of 3.3 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1511760wpp/bulgasal-enjoys-significant-rise-in-ratings-for-finale

• Like 7

6 hours ago, wangfengfengg said:

I really wanted the ending to be SU and Hwal both being bulgasal, living amongst the humans peacefully.

me too...wish some plotlines were handled better I AGREE my friends...

2 hours ago, skinnyjeans said:

I truly despise you, tvN!

we all do!!!

i hated that SW died...she wanted to know  her sister baby...is what she wanted the most...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wangfengfengg said:

But those monsters aren't bulgasal They could be killed, meaning they have souls.

I agree. Lots of things don't make sense in this show and lots of unexplained stuff.

I hate when they do that. :crazymad:

The writer probably doesn't know herself. She just came up with this idea for a story but somehow lost how to tie all the loose threads. :crazily:

• LOL 4

It's funky that we saw what happened 1000 years ago as a scene, and not as a memory of any of the characters. Afterwards, it seemed like they suddenly remembered what had happened. It seems so quick, but glad that we actually get to see the story now (took 15 episodes! whew).

The montage of Si-Ho and Do-yun growing old and having a family is so heartbreaking because they really lived their lives out without any of their loved ones. I'm just glad though that Si-Ho finally found Sang-Un reincarnated after 50 years.

Turnover of the house could have been more polished (why was reincarnated Hwal there, and why was he buying the house?). Although I'm glad that now they seem to have souls, and can live their lives as humans. This reminds me of Goblin though, when the lead female "remembered" that she's still the Goblin's bride, and knew from the get-go what the Goblin looked like, and where to find him. I hope Hwal and Sang-Un eventually remember who they were (we need a season 2! or at least a 2-part encore episode haha)

It was fun reading through this thread throughout watching the whole series! What a headache it was figuring out what was going to happen, haha. But very glad to have this outlet to share. See you all in the next dramas to be watched. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this show, flaws and all! I try not to think too deeply and get mad/disappointed, though I would have liked more flash back explaining what SU and ET and Hwal were all doing to each other after the initial events since I am still confused who kept finding who and killing who! 

I obv would love more romance but it was good since my husband and I could watch it together. His take-away was: Do not leave your man behind without talking about it. All of this pretty much started with a couple "fighting".... :lol:

It's bittersweet for us views that they don't remember anything except for an unexplained connection. But for them it's def better. I really agreed with Hwal at the end that the curses just can't go on forever and it has to end! 

• Like 6