[Drama 2021/2022] Immortality/ Bulgasal: Immortal Souls, 불가살

larus

Hi guys! New here. Was going to silently lurk but I love this show too much.

Here's my theory!! On everything. I'm going to use alot of the actors real names so it's less confusing.

Obviously I think most of you already know this but why Eultae is after Sangeuns soul is because Sangeuns soul is actually Hwals soul from 600 years ago, which was the soul Eul Tae was after (hence he cursed Hwal and killed everyone Hwal loved).

So hence why Kwon Nara as bulgasal saved him when he was a little boy, but took his soul after his family was killed by Eultae was because she decided to take his soul to protect him from dying in Eultae's hands. She probably realised Eultae's going to constantly try and kill Hwal because of his soul, so she decided to take the soul to suffer that fate for him. That soul however, that was in Hwal's body was probably Eultae's original soul a 1000 years ago when Eultae was human.

As per the drawing/mural Eultae keeps, Kwon Nara and Lee Jinuk were the original bulgasals, and were probably in love as monsters back a 1000 years ago. Lee joon probably had some encounter with lee Jin wook, and in that process, Lee Jinuk got Lee Joon's soul and Lee Joon became bulgasal. Because of that, maybe Kwon Nara got angry (cause Jinuk and her were monster lovers???)so she cursed him and gave Lee Joon a dark hole for taking her lover away. Thereafter, she kept trying to protect Lee Jinuk when he was reincarnated... And Lee Joon was the bad one that  cursed Lee Jinuk.

Lee Joon however enjoys being bulgasal and being strong because his dad looked down on him being sick and weak before, so he probably never hated Lee Jinuk for taking his soul away. And possibly doesn't mind destroying his own original soul because he wants to stay strong and immortal for life. Anyway, as per above, Lee Joon's original soul has been with him, then with Lee Jinuk as Hwal years ago, then to Kwon Nara 600 years ago, till now after she has reincarnated 7 times. 

All 3 times of different owners of the soul, detective Kwon has been around. And his fate is still intertwined with Lee Joons original soul. He was first Lee Joon's father 1000 years ago when the soul was with Lee Joon. Then he met and took care of Hwal 600 years ago when the soul was with Hwal. Then he met Sangeun and tried to solve her case as detective Kwon when the soul was with Sang Eun.

What I'm curious and unsure about is why current day Eultae hurts when Sangeun is hurt. And my only theory is that because Sangeuns current soul is originally his soul from a thousand years ago. 

A few things I'm curious about is Hwals original mum, who is played by Noh Susana. She was first the second wife of Lee Joon's father, and then when she reincarnated and was Hwals mum, she knew about Bulgasals curse. And then she was reincarnated as detective Kwons junior.

I'm also curious about detective Kwons sister, who also knew Bulgasal is coming....

Anyway omg this show is so exciting. Can't wait for Saturday.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Redpinkboxes said:

Hi guys! New here. Was going to silently lurk but I love this show too much.

Here's my theory!! On everything. I'm going to use alot of the actors real names so it's less confusing.

Obviously I think most of you already know this but why Eultae is after Sangeuns soul is because Sangeuns soul is actually Hwals soul from 600 years ago, which was the soul Eul Tae was after (hence he cursed Hwal and killed everyone Hwal loved).

So hence why Kwon Nara as bulgasal saved him when he was a little boy, but took his soul after his family was killed by Eultae was because she decided to take his soul to protect him from dying in Eultae's hands. She probably realised Eultae's going to constantly try and kill Hwal because of his soul, so she decided to take the soul to suffer that fate for him. That soul however, that was in Hwal's body was probably Eultae's original soul a 1000 years ago when Eultae was human.

As per the drawing/mural Eultae keeps, Kwon Nara and Lee Jinuk were the original bulgasals, and were probably in love as monsters back a 1000 years ago. Lee joon probably had some encounter with lee Jin wook, and in that process, Lee Jinuk got Lee Joon's soul and Lee Joon became bulgasal. Because of that, maybe Kwon Nara got angry (cause Jinuk and her were monster lovers???)so she cursed him and gave Lee Joon a dark hole for taking her lover away. Thereafter, she kept trying to protect Lee Jinuk when he was reincarnated... And Lee Joon was the bad one that  cursed Lee Jinuk.

Lee Joon however enjoys being bulgasal and being strong because his dad looked down on him being sick and weak before, so he probably never hated Lee Jinuk for taking his soul away. And possibly doesn't mind destroying his own original soul because he wants to stay strong and immortal for life. Anyway, as per above, Lee Joon's original soul has been with him, then with Lee Jinuk as Hwal years ago, then to Kwon Nara 600 years ago, till now after she has reincarnated 7 times. 

All 3 times of different owners of the soul, detective Kwon has been around. And his fate is still intertwined with Lee Joons original soul. He was first Lee Joon's father 1000 years ago when the soul was with Lee Joon. Then he met and took care of Hwal 600 years ago when the soul was with Hwal. Then he met Sangeun and tried to solve her case as detective Kwon when the soul was with Sang Eun.

What I'm curious and unsure about is why current day Eultae hurts when Sangeun is hurt. And my only theory is that because Sangeuns current soul is originally his soul from a thousand years ago. 

A few things I'm curious about is Hwals original mum, who is played by Noh Susana. She was first the second wife of Lee Joon's father, and then when she reincarnated and was Hwals mum, she knew about Bulgasals curse. And then she was reincarnated as detective Kwons junior.

I'm also curious about detective Kwons sister, who also knew Bulgasal is coming....

Anyway omg this show is so exciting. Can't wait for Saturday.

It could be but they all like family 1000 years lee join and head were brothers and sang un stop him from killing the present not lee wool on that time peoríd them my question is this sleeping person could be hwai he his only on doesn’t remember all 1000 years.

• Like 4

I love the fresh humor in our drama..     

- The old lady - ''it might be a girl problem...''

Hwal - ''Sure. Im the perfect man for the job'' 

- Hwal - '' She(Siho)hates Monsters like you''

Eul Tae - ''What..You're one to talk''               

Eul Tae looked like a kid at an amusement park...  :D

FJPH5FjaQAIMf0b?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Eul Tae looked like a kid at an amusement park...

and he still plays video games with Do Yoon!

https://zapzee.net/2021/11/19/lee-jin-wook-and-kwon-na-ra-share-thoughts-on-their-roles-in-bulgasal/

the article was in nov, and they were already almost finished filming..

We’re about 90% done with filming but there are a lot of important scenes at the end. Stay tuned for twists and turns that you’ll never see coming.

what else we haven't guessed??

Oh No Eating GIF by Declan McKenna

@illay maybe oppa will come in a brand new black jacket like this?

BV2o1_3f.jpg

cr.: owner

• LOL 6

Bulgasal: Immortal Souls: Episodes 9-10 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Bulgasal0910_0.jpg

As all of our players start to get a little more desperate, it leads to more action on all fronts — sometimes rash, sometimes reactive — but either way, it’s pushing our characters closer to the truth about their lives, as the knot of fate continues to play out.

EPISODES 9-10 WEECAP

Bulgasal0910_2.jpg

Well, we were right! Hwal’s story does begin earlier than the first lifetime we saw at the dawn of Joseon. We get a piece of his story, and the fates of all the characters around him, in a new flashback — but first we open up with the crazy scene where we left off. Sang-eon shares her new knowledge, which leaves Hwal incredulous, and Eul-tae desperate.

Ok Eul-tae lunges for Sang-eon despite the consequences to himself, but Hwal swoops in with the poison syringe and saves her. Sang-eon takes one of Hwal’s arms over her shoulders, Detective Kwon takes the other, and everyone hobbles off. I love these three. I’m firmly convinced they are all good guys, and always have been.

Now it’s time for the flashback, which takes us 1,000 years into the past. Eul-tae and Hwal are brothers (!!) to Detective Kwon (!!). Eul-tae is sickly and evil, and will lose his birthright to Hwal. In jealousy and rage, he beats Hwal to death with a boulder. (Important to note: This is witnessed by bulgasal Sang-eon.)

Wow, so fratricide is the start of this tale?! Mind blown. It’s right out of the Bible and the story of Cain and Abel, actually, how jealousy and rage and longing for a father’s love brought about the first murder on Earth. Eul-tae blames the bulgasal on his brother’s bloody death, and this is sure to be hella important later. But for now, that’s all we get.

After the present-day encounter in the field, Hwal and Eul-tae are even more at odds — Hwal desperate to confirm whether Eul-tae is indeed the murderer, and Eul-tae desperate to hide the truth (whatever that may be) from Hwal, and separate the trust that’s forming between Hwal and Sang-eon.

Hwal’s first idea is to talk to Grandma Kim — Sang-eon tells him that’s where she heard the story — but when they go to visit her, she freaks out seeing him and his scar, and they don’t get much of anywhere. His next idea is Si-ho. He nonchalantly asks her if she’s ever tried to remember her own past life, but this leads to another dead end. (Still, spot on, because confirming how Dan Sol died from her own memory would be a ticket straight to the truth.)

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/01/bulgasal-immortal-souls-episodes-9-10-open-thread/

• Like 5

@Redpinkboxes Please don't go back into lurkdom!

Your theory seems really interesting so I really wanted to understand because I'm sure it's all well-thought-out but I got so completely lost and confused reading because of switching back and forth between cast names and real names that I can't really comment.  Truthfully, I always get K names mixed up anyway so the problem is mine. 

• Like 4

@Redpinkboxes The soul originally being Eultae's seems so far the most plausible theory considering he shares the pain and how general dan had ties to the soul each time, him wanting to become a Bulgasal due to him being sickly makes sense too, question is how did the switch happen between Bulgasal Hwal and human Eultae. There are theories were both of them made a deal and maybe that angered female bulgasal but at the same time I feel like they are trying to make her this good being who wasn't evil at all.

There is a chance the female Bulgasal didn't take Hwal's soul on purpose, she seemed a little surprised when it went over to her, she also said how she resented him and how he caused even more bad karma, now I thought there might a possibility that she didn't mean Hwal when she said those things and maybe Bulgasal Eultae was like standing behind or something lol but she also looked at him with resentment so I do think the words were meant for Hwal. I'm really curious as what she mean with "you planned this" though.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

11 hours ago, Redpinkboxes said:

It was heavily hinted that Det Kwon's sister was Sang Un in her previous life. Kim Hwa Yeon died in 1971, his sister in 1975 was four years old so it's an appropriate timeline. She knew Bulgasal was coming because she remembered her past life. Eul Tae was hunting their father who was a monster (he tried to poison little her with that milk and he said he could smell her soul). It's not confirmed but most likely is. Another neat thread to show how they're all inter-connected.

• Like 3

The detective's sister was clearly Sang Woon with the memories. The monster father smelled her soul, so the little girl was her previous life.

Let's say that Hwal was truly a deity like Sang Woon (I don't think she was a bulgasal, her eyes had a different color), and he loved a human (probably Si-hoo's past life). Therefore, he made a deal with Eul Tae to switch places (with that special sword, so it seems). Eul Tae was sick and wanted power in a way, so becoming immortal was a blessing. They switched places, and Sang Woon the Deity cursed them both for doing so. She often looked at Hwal with sad and resentful eyes. After all, Eul Tae becoming a bulgasal was a no go, since he was evil and killed people, which was not the role of deities (they protect humans and nature, to keep a balance). That's why she resented Hwal, his action brought misfortune to many people.

The theory that Hwal could be Eul Tae's brother is very interesting, but it won't explain the painting, where you can see Sang Woon and another deity, which is a man. Unless, that's Eul Tae after becoming a bulgasal. But then why hide the face? So many questions.

Eul Tae's behavior towards people is a big hint at their previous lives. Eul Tae is never angry with Hwal, he actually "likes" him in his own way. Hwal being a deity that gave a chance to Eul Tae, actually explains why Eul Tae is so benevolent with Hwal. He also didn't kill the detective, because he loved his father. But Eul Tae hates Sang Woon, which means she was the one who put the curse on him, or both of them.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Kathia said:

Let's say that Hwal was truly a deity like Sang Woon (I don't think she was a bulgasal, her eyes had a different color), and he loved a human (probably Si-hoo's past life). Therefore, he made a deal with Eul Tae to switch places (with that special sword, so it seems). Eul Tae was sick and wanted power in a way, so becoming immortal was a blessing. They switched places, and Sang Woon the Deity cursed them both for doing so. She often looked at Hwal with sad and resentful eyes. After all, Eul Tae becoming a bulgasal was a no go, since he was evil and killed people, which was not the role of deities (they protect humans and nature, to keep a balance). That's why she resented Hwal, his action brought misfortune to many people.

This would also explain Siho's "curse", sang woon must have laid that down on her too. or hwal could have given her that power so that she could look for him in their future reincarnations?

This theory makes a lot sense now, although it puts the lovestory between hwal and sang woon into question. Could it be that sang woon would really turn out to be the big bad after all? what if she regains her memories and remembers the betrayal of hwal and really kilss everyone

I'm wondering why Sang Woon has memories of her past lives though. Hwal, while carrying the soul, has no memories himself

• Like 3

7 hours ago, aria26 said:

I'm wondering why Sang Woon has memories of her past lives though. Hwal, while carrying the soul, has no memories himself

i think he only remembers his last life from 600 years ago...there is 50%Hwal beeing a bulgasal tired of living or curious to know how it feels beeing a human  ,50 %is ET younger brother...lady bulgasal saved a person that day ET also tried to kill we did not see his face i wonder who he/she is ...he /she knows ET is a killer...if is a she could be Siho?

• Like 3

I wanted Hwal and Eul Tae to be brothers but that would be a little strange

because Hwal and Sol were married...  :unsure:

All those who were evil in the past are the same in the present

It would be more interesting for me if one of them is good in the present... or its impossible.   

Sangun and Detective Kwon helped Hwal.

Eul Tae was watching them and, I guess, he felt betrayed again...  

FJcB7UZaQAEK0ne?format=jpg&name=360x360

FJcB7UYagAQ7Php?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 3

Kwon Na Ra commented, “We recently watched the first episode together. The cinematography and the use of colors were stunning, and you’ll be able to see all four seasons in the drama. We’re about 90% done with filming but there are a lot of important scenes at the end. Stay tuned for twists and turns that you’ll never see coming.”

Wow so more  twists and turns that we’ll never see coming...so we can expect the unexpected Siho not beeing good or having to do with the curse?What else?Hwal adoptive father wished HWAL to be born as his real son in a next life...we will see that happening?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Sangun and Detective Kwon helped Hwal.

Eul Tae was watching them and, I guess, he felt betrayed again...

i think he felt more abandoned than betrayed.. just like how the detective dad preferred the younger son (his step brother, assuming was Hwal) than him cos he was sickly.

20 minutes ago, andy78 said:

we will see that happening?

maybe the 2 little girls in Hwal's village will appear as adults (new casts) and join in the reunion of this "cursed party"...

• Like 2

@Kathia I really like the whole Eultae and Hwal made a deal theory, it makes sense and how else would've a sickly Eultae gained a bulgasals powers unless he somehow tricked them. Siho being the reason for Hwal's wish to be human would tie er into the story of 1000 years ago, so far they kept her more in the background and we don't really get much information about her so I'm expecting some sort of bigger reveal to show how she is relevant in the bigger picture seeing how General Dan also played a role in more than two lifetimes.

I wonder if Siho's powers are even tied to a bulgasal, the shaman never once mentioned Sol when she talked about bulgasal and bulgasals curse only that she had ties to Hwal and died because of it. If they are then it could be it's not tied to the same bulgasal that cursed Hwal which could support the idea that somehow it was Hwal that gave her those powers. Now mentioning that, Hwal's curse and Siho's powers are one of the reasons the two ended up with each other in the first place, makes me wonder if it really was some sort of fate or past action that lead to it.

tvN made a post about hidden meanings in the show

https://twitter.com/GSYintl/status/1483765639118737408?s=20

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Haeun said:

@Kathia I really like the whole Eultae and Hwal made a deal theory, it makes sense and how else would've a sickly Eultae gained a bulgasals powers unless he somehow tricked them. Siho being the reason for Hwal's wish to be human would tie er into the story of 1000 years ago, so far they kept her more in the background and we don't really get much information about her so I'm expecting some sort of bigger reveal to show how she is relevant in the bigger picture seeing how General Dan also played a role in more than two lifetimes.

I wonder if Siho's powers are even tied to a bulgasal, the shaman never once mentioned Sol when she talked about bulgasal and bulgasals curse only that she had ties to Hwal and died because of it. If they are then it could be it's not tied to the same bulgasal that cursed Hwal which could support the idea that somehow it was Hwal that gave her those powers. Now mentioning that, Hwal's curse and Siho's powers are one of the reasons the two ended up with each other in the first place, makes me wonder if it really was some sort of fate or past action that lead to it.

tvN made a post about hidden meanings in the show

https://twitter.com/GSYintl/status/1483765639118737408?s=20

Yes, I also think that Hwal being Eul Tae's younger brother, while being an interesting theory, is unlikely. But I could be wrong. I mean, Eul Tae gets along well with Hwal (I don't see any grudge nor resentment), and he hated his brother because he felt envy (he even killed him). If Hwal was his brother, he would've look at him the same way he looks at the detective. Moreover, it wouldn't explain why Sang Woon the Deity said that it was Hwal's fault (a mere human's fault?). Nah, I think Hwal was a deity originally and not a human.

Besides, and this is very important, Eul Tae ended up becoming a bulgasal, and what can a human Hwal do about it? We showed on ep1 that Sang Woon became a human after stabbing Hwal, who in turn became a bulgasal himself. Therefore, and since Sang Woon kept living as a supernatural being until 600 years ago, means that exchange happened with someone else. Hwal pierced Eul Tae with the sword, and his soul became Hwal's soul, and Eul Tael became a bulgasal (they became connected). But with the events of 600 years, Hwal's soul, which was Eul Tae's originally, went to Sang Woon. That's why when Sang Woon's hurt, Eul Tae suffers too, since she has "his" soul.

In other words:

Human Eul Tae's soul -> Hwal (made him human) -> Sang Woon (made her human).

And I agree about Si Hoo, I bet she was around 1000 years ago too. There's more to it than meets the eye.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Kathia said:

Yes, I also think that Hwal being Eul Tae's younger brother, while being an interesting theory, is unlikely. But I could be wrong. I mean, Eul Tae gets along well with Hwal (I don't see any grudge nor resentment), and he hated his brother because he felt envy (he even killed him).

Agreed, if Hwal really was Eultae's brother I'd expect him to act very differently towards him considering he had no problem killing him, it would also be kind of weird considering Eultae/his brother and Sol kind of share a father and she was married to Hwal, sure it's a different life but still weird.

The only thing that makes me doubt is how General Dan/Hoyeol is so fond of Hwal, 1000 years ago he favoured his second son and 600 years ago he neglected his own daughter being closer with Hwal, he also said in the preview something like how he can't help but not hate Hwal while it's different with Eultae.

• Like 5