[Drama 2021/2022] Immortality/ Bulgasal: Immortal Souls, 불가살

larus

I want to point out a detail that I just realized after watching this episode. In the end of ep 14 when Hwal reminisced his memory about Mrs.Lee

He said : "I can't die even when I want to die..I can't cry even when I want to cry"

And I saw tears was coming from his left eyes (which was bandaged). I was like why He said that Bulgasal couldn't cry. Is it just a metaphor words? because I clearly remember that He also shed tears on ep 2 or 3 after He purposely crashed the car with a monster inside if I am not mistaken (because He reminiscing the memory about his family).

However on this episode, after sanggasal became conscious and realized that Siho was hurt and almost everyone has been killed..She screamed and then shed tears. She was touching the tears and looked surprised.

So are bulgasals really supposed not be able to cry?

note: I just remember that ET also shed tears on this episode.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

The ending it a bit unsatisfactory. They wrapped up what happen 1000 years ago in one episode and even the reason it just misunderstanding. The 600 years timeline more interesting but 1000 years? Just two bulgasal, one decide to leave the male bulgasal to live with human and because she has been framed, the male bulgasal come and rescue her but in the end male died and female waiting for him at the cave. 

Back to the current timeline both Hwal and Eul Tea perish and Sang Un die too because she loss to much blood. Si Ho and Do Yoon move on with life and have family and fast forward to the future Hwal and Sang Un meet again. But why the future 50 years from now looked like in the 70's? lol 

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

Alos I watched live the last two episodes so now I need to understand more with subs.

But, I wonder if the 'new' Sangwoon is a distant relative of Siho or a direct descendant.

new sangWoon is completely stranger to Siho.

• Like 9

Just now, illay said:

new sangWoon is completely stranger to Siho

SEEMS SHE WAITED AND LOOKED FOR SW ALL HER LIFE...SHE WAS THE ONE THAT SENT THE PHOTO WITH THE HOUSE ...MADE SURE HWAL AND SW MEET AGAIN

41 minutes ago, illay said:

"Ask the King of the underworld to give you another life !"

SHE GAVE HIM THE IDEA ...GOOD FOR HER!!!HE DID LISTEN TO HER

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

Back when the writers seemed to lose the threads of this drama (around episodes 10 and 11), I strongly suspected that we would get an ending something like this because it was obvious that the writers did not seem able to meld violence and romance so the leads would have to either be both alive or both dead at the end. 

I was ready for this but I still find the ending hard to accept.  Too much time was wasted on ET and too little was spent on Hwal and SW.

Oh well.  Bulgasal was good.  It just wasn't great.  I really wish we had seen enough of the romance shining through to make the ending a satisfactory one.   

.....editing because I just remembered that I wanted to say thank you to the posters on this thread.  I enjoyed all the theories and it was nice sharing the drama-anxiety.  Thank you!

• Like 7
  • Love 4

21 minutes ago, andy78 said:

SEEMS SHE WAITED AND LOOKED FOR SW ALL HER LIFE...SHE WAS THE ONE THAT SENT THE PHOTO WITH THE HOUSE ...MADE SURE HWAL AND SW MEET AGAIN

SHE GAVE HIM THE IDEA ...GOOD FOR HER!!!HE DID LISTEN TO HER

It's pretty sad to think that She patiently waited for 50 years to find her sister. She insisted to stay at the house alone. When She finally found her, She was already old and maybe sick judging by how She was in a hospital ward. How I wish We would be shown the meeting between SH, SU, Hwal & Do Yoon. About Hwal, I actually have no idea whether his arrival in the house is set up by SH or it's just coincidence but I think like you said She really set it up so both two meet..

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, thistle said:

I just remembered that I wanted to say thank you to the posters on this thread.  I enjoyed all the theories and it was nice sharing the drama-anxiety.  Thank you!

Thank you everybody!Was so great reading your posts...so many great ideas ...much better then the writer's... hug you all...

ONE MORE THING...600 YEARS AGO SHE DID TRIED TO PUT AN END TO THE CURSE BY KILLING HIM...SHE HAD NO IDEA HE WAS NOT A BULGASAL AND DIED AS HUMAN...WE FINALLY UNDERSTOOD WHY SHE WAS SO SHOCKED ...

29 minutes ago, illay said:

She patiently waited for 50 years to find her sister. She insisted to stay at the house alone.

her fate was so sad...lost her mom and both her sisters...her stupid boyfriend left her(seems he was not a monster just a BIG jerk),a single mom with a daughter ...only DOYON that become an uncle for that child and a brother to her

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Hello :)!

I watched the finale after reading here your first impressions. Maybe if I wouldn’t have read it, I would be too disappointed, but I’m not: it isn’t a very good ending, but it isn’t bad at all. It is an ok ending to me.

One thing: I watched the drama “the guest” back in the time and I can say it is an awesome drama (for those who like suspense/”horror” genre). The timing between suspense and revelation was perfect, imo. (It can contain spoilers) What made “the guest” an awesome suspense drama was that they had a major question “Who is the guest”, and then a bunch of minor questions, which did help to build up the suspense and at the same time the sense that the resolution comes closer and closer, and they kept this balanced tension (between suspense and resolution) until the climax at the last episode, when we get the big revelation of who the guest was. The execution, the development, the acting and the writing were on point.

In the case of Bulgasal, I do think that the writers sacrificed the narrative and development of the story in favour of too much suspense and twist, while we did not need that to get involved with the story and characters. We had here a clear love story which was the foundation of the whole drama, and the waiting to reveals the background of this love story in the episode 16 wasn’t a good idea: it could work really well in a genre like The guest, but not in one as Bulgasal. For, the world building in the latter is more complex: in the guest we had one big question while in bulgasal we had many big questions, because its world complexity is built with many narratives lines that that surpassed and complement each other, making everything more complex (narratively speaking). So, I think they lost the timing to bring the most important revelations in the episode 13 and 14; if they had done that, even if only to the audience, we could know what really was going on and the ending wouldn’t feel so rushed. Until the episode 13, I was loving the pace and the timing, in special the pace of the romance between Hwal and SU, but in these episodes the writers lost their timing (inclusive that of the romance) and rushed things in the last episode.

In general, I liked the drama, but I think it is the kind of drama better for a binge-watch.

My last theory: I think reborn SU, after touching reborn Hwal’s hand and blood, begun to remember who they were: it wasn’t only a feeling, but a real memory.

I enjoy very much to watch this drama with everybody here!

Bye!:love:

• Like 12
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, ninaanin said:

My last theory: I think reborn SU, after touching reborn Hwal’s hand and blood, begun to remember who they were: it wasn’t only a feeling, but a real memory.

Great theory!I WANT TO BELIVE IS TRUE...I REMEMBER HER TEARS WHEN HE ASKED HER IF THEY EVER MET BEFORE!

• Like 9

I, too, feel the ending was a bit rushed! I would have love more of Hwal-SW moments but it's ok, they get a sort of happy ending.

I wasn't really sad when Hwal died, because I was kind of expecting the sacrifice when he discovered the whole truth. Knowing him, he wouldn't have been able to live with himself after that.

But GOD, SW's death hit me hard! I was literaly weeping! Especially when Si Ho got to know what she went through during the last moments of Hwal and Detective Kwon :(

Anyway, thank you everyone, I really enjoyed reading all your theories.

• Like 10

I'm still wiping my tears, but apart from a couple of silly things I liked the end. I'm satisfied that they met again and likely fall in love as humans. It's clear from their story that both were together but sad and lonely as bulgasal: she wanted more and left him for the children, and he was obsessed with her since he had no one else. They both craved a family, so the end is more than just them reuniting to rekindle their love story, but this time around they can have a family and live a happy life. :fullofhearts: Nice that it ends in such a light and joyful way.

I think the last episode was quite fine. The thing I missed the most is more romance during the whole drama...we were given only crumbs all the time. Would it had hurt so much to include a kiss and some more skinship? It was so cute when she confessed that she liked him, and he was acting all curious and confused...they could have exploited that cuteness so much more, ahhhh!! :crybaby:

All in all, it was not perfect but I liked this drama a lot. :)I hadn't come to soompi to fangirl for a looong time and Bulgasal :heart: brought me back. The story was addictive, the romance super swoony, the cast amazing and the cinematography totally gorgeous. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I joined just to vent my frustration about this ending . I have been a silent follower!

Things they didn't explain:

Spoiler

1) Why Hwal was born without memory as a human while ladybulgasal always had her memories no matter how many reincarnations???

2) How did she manage to split into twins with one lacking the memory???

3) How did the twin lacking the memory manage to prevent Ok Eul Tae from getting rid of her soul??????

4) What was Ok Eul Tae trying to do??? I mean the motivations behind his actions are not always clear... We understand he wants to be a perfect Bulgasal without pain so he is trying to get rid of his own soul... but why did he kill Hwal's family 600 years ago??? Why didn't he just kill Hwal's soul at that time??? His actions are very confusing... Also, how come he never approached Hwal during those 600 years???? If Hwal was the cause of the black hole shouldn't he approach him and ask him to get rid of it???? It's confusing to me.

5) If Si Ho was cursed by not being able to give birth to viable baby, how come she gave birth to Do yoon 600 years ago????

6) If Ladybulgasal is good and nice, how did she survive 1000 years ago without drinking human blood. It's shown that it's in the nature of Bulgasal to crave human blood????

14 minutes ago, spartania said:

But GOD, SW's death hit me hard! I was literaly weeping! Especially when Si Ho got to know what she went through during the last moments of Hwal and Detective Kwon :(

Anyway, thank you everyone, I really enjoyed reading all your theories.

SW this girl and all her past reincarnation is one long depressing reality. She have been living in hiding for 600 years being chased by monsters and eventually killed each time.

For such a nice character she lived and died in agony. :(:(

I was hoping they show how Ok Eul Tae regains his soul and lives in agony being chased by monsters....

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

41 minutes ago, Photo Photo said:

If Si Ho was cursed by not being able to give birth to viable baby, how come she gave birth to Do yoon 600 years ago????

she could only give birth to DOYON as part of the curse... only a blind DOYON AND ONLY BECAUSE  IS DOYON ...or maybe was King of the underworld  who decided he should be HWAL and Sol baby... SHE HAD A DEAD BABY AFTER HIM

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

In other words DY/A Chan was destined by their past history, lives and Karma and part of the  plan. Every main character is part of the bloody puzzle of their history but There was no place in scheme  for another baby so it died. 

• Like 5

I didn't dislike the ending, I think it was good, the fight, the feels, the sadness, the hope. BUT it should have been longer, more 30 min or so in order to explain more things that left unexplained. They didn't even show Sang Woon reunite with her now elderly sister, I'm so upset.

I have some questions about the events from 600 years ago. Why ET dressed as Sangasal? We have our theories but still. Was Sangasal really trying to kill Hwal all those years? Then, why not kill him as a child? If ET's soul went to Hwal (made him human), and then, went to Sangasal (made her human), then his soul kept trapped in Sang Woon forever? Then, what about the monsters? Were curses over? But the show implied that only Hwal's curses ended, the monsters' curses were a totally different thing (different storyline).

Why did her twin sister say that she would put eveything to its place? Nothing went to its original place...And why was she reborn as twins? What about the lost memories? It seems that Hwal remembered the past from 1000 years, but Sang Woon did not. Then, they reincarnate but it seems that she is the one to remember something, while Hwal seems oblivious. And where is the beach scene?

EDIT: I've remembered something. Sang Woon became powerful twice in the show, as if she monumentarily regained her bulgasal powers even though she was human. But it seems the writers forgot about that narrative, or just simply didn't care anymore.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2