[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] You Are My Hero 你是我的城池营垒

sugarplum892

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

so this week will be payback time for all the happy and giggly moments we had for the past episodes, turn on CC to watch with subs, i cried rivers already.  this kind always hits home with me.

i'm worried.

Spoiler

reading into the lyrics of this ost makes me tear up, then suddenly i remembered that my experience in cdrama, touch and burn, got disappointed in the end.  sorry about this post, so affected by the preview and not this ost.  i hope nothing big like death please.

• Like 1

Now I kinda see why they pumped out 14 episodes in the first 1 week! Strategic planning!  2nd week was all the build up for the ML and FL getting together. This week is going to be all the emotional stuff and frustration. 

@nonskithanks for posting the video...I had been waiting for that clip with subs! 

Where are you all watching from? 

I'm watching from Canada!

• Like 1

@NYXbaby It's bound to happen... well, let's brace ourselves. Watching from Malaysia here!

I can't stop giggling when I watch Sandra Ma act coy and coquettish with the guy. I have too many images of her being tough and assertive in Oh My General that it tickles me watching her here.

• Like 2

ep 23 & 24  Our Capitan is quite sick :cold_sweat:.    

Mi Ka finds out that her co-worker is not only a jealous bi#ch but a viscous one as well after she deleted important files .  Dr S confronted her immediately, I like that...and maybe I am not reading the situation clearly but she seems to be excellent in theory but failing in practice , or a coward .

Captain Shu is in a dilemma and maybe he is a bit thick headed but the last time he took home a "city girl" it did not work out so this time he is being extra extra cautious and can't believe that such a beautiful and articulate butterfly would find him a suitable partner for life. 

• Like 3

@jadore1 Yan Shan's character development (or taking a turn for the worst) is really typical of the drama plot where your good friend starts to betray you.... and here's why I think she is the way she is...

We get some initial insights into Yan Shan, the co-worker's character. Once in the lift where she keeps asking Mi Ka to wait, lest they get into trouble for attending to the patient despite being junior staff and a couple of other occasions where she keeps bringing up this question of whether they are violating any rules and will get into trouble for it. On the surface she comes across as being a coward for such behaviour. However, in one of the previews (I believe it's towards the end of this coming week when it will be aired) that her mother is emotionally abusive and has been pushing her to become a neuro surgeon. I suspect her 'cowardly' behaviour may in part be due to the fear of losing her medical license and being labeled a failure. The scene where her mother (they casted an unbelievably young-looking actress, could pass off as her sister) yells at her in the hospital is really disturbing.

On the count of her being jealous, ah...the drama has been introducing us to that side of her as well. She has tried many times to curry favour with Dr Shao, probably because he is her boss and hopes to be in his good books. Unfortunately, he is the straight-talking, no-nonsense kind of person and has not taken too well to those moves. In fact, I suspect by doing so, she has moved a few notches down his 'favoured list'. But I think what has not helped in this situation is that Dr Shao has openly extended aid to Mi Ka in plain sight, i.e. inviting her to his private function and giving her a list of resources for her research, among other 'special treatment'.

You can argue it's his right to do so, after all, in the real world, managers can groom employees whom they see as potential talents. However, when you do this, it is bound to evoke feelings of being 'unfavoured' by other employees, which is the case in Yan Shan's situation. He has told Yan Shan that she should stop making food for him, and spend that time more productively by doing research, and realising that he has been too harsh, did offer his thanks. But I think he could have handled her better by offering her assistance in her area of research, just as he did to Mi Ka. Yan Shan is his employee in his department too, that much aid, he should be able to accord. After all, if she does well in her career, his department reputation and ability to handle patients would improve.  His private event, fine, that's his perogative not too. So, that is my take on Dr Shao as a leader. 

As for Yan Shan, being unfavoured doesn't give you the right to manipulate someone else's data on someone else's computer, that is unprofessional and unacceptable behaviour at work. But I think by the end of the drama, I foresee she would have grown as a character and stood up for herself, to not stand in the shadows of her mother's expectations. And hopefully, she will know how to ask for support from Dr Shao professionally, not being prone to jealousy.

Having watched E24, thank heavens Dr Shao confronted Yan Shan and nipped the problem in the bud. He couldn't undo what had been done but he gave her his frank appraisal as her teacher and as her boss where she needs to improve and where (he felt) she had gone wrong. Better late than never!

Edited by SC2019
additional comments after watching E24
  • Like 6

thanks @NYXbaby for those who need the English subs...here it is. Sorry putting down the timing is too much work, but where there is a huge transition, I've put in timings to denote the change in settings/persons speaking.

Spoiler

E 29
•    Why did you go easy on me? 
•    I asked you why you went easy on me?
•    Ten laps of the grounds
•    Yes
•    Get lost/ step aside
•    I won’t
•    I think what you need now is to rest
•    If anything were to happen to your body right now
•    You will hold up the entire Tiger Squad
•    On top of that Mi Ka has exhorted me (to look out for you)
•    How do you expect me to be accountable to her?
•    Now, you shouldn’t just focus on the arms (weapons) contest
•    You should be considerate towards Mi Ka
•    Why don’t you cut down your practice?
•    How to cut down?
•    Right now, I can’t even dismantle a gun properly
•    How can I even join the competition?
•    But if you push yourself too hard
•    You are giving yourself too much pressure
•    Everyone is telling me the same thing
•    I’ve heard enough, stop saying it!
•    Everyone’s concerned about you
•    Concerned about me?
•    Did you inform Wen Bo that my hand trembles?
•    No I didn’t.
•    Now, the entire troop, including the drill leader is giving way to me 
•    If anyone is to inform them, it should be me
•    I don’t need you to do so

E 30
•    According to you
•    My hand trembling is related to my mind (psychological issue)
•    You have long adopted the mindset that surgery will affect the strength of your hand
•    And will have a negative effect on its stability/steadiness
•    Earlier on, you have already made psychological suggestions (to the subconscious mind)
•    More so, because you take this matter to heart
•    And you are ambitious/ eager to excel
•    So when you pick up the pistol
•    Your hand will tremble unconsciously
•    The most important thing from now on
•    Is to not let this bother you
•    Be more relaxed, ok?
•    Slowly, slowly (3:03)
•    Hang on in there
•    Let us through
•    I’m so sorry
•    Today, we can’t watch the performance
•    It’s ok
•    We can listen to it next time
•    I’ll send you home
•    Get down here, this is too exhausting!  (3:34)
•    You’re sweating so profusely
•    Why don’t you go back and take a shower?
•    You’ve sweated so much
•    You’ll catch a cold if you don’t take a bath
•    That’s right, if I go out right now, won’t I catch a cold?
•    I’ll shower here
•    But you don’t have a fresh change of clothes here
•    I brought it (4:04)
•    Dr Mi
•    Recently,
•    I feel that this part of my body is
•    A little swollen
•    Is this a post-surgical adverse effect?
•    Take a look?
•    This is a normal post-surgical effect
•    No, no, you should take a look
•    It’s
•    I feel… my body is…
•    In chunks/pieces

E 31
•    Dr Shao
•    Hello Dr Shao, Hello Xie Jie (sister)
•    Sister
•    I came to your sister’s place to pick up somethings
•    What are you doing?
•    (They’ve) Gone in
•    Both of them have gone in? Yes
•    What’s going on?
•    My writing then was pretty good (5:01)
•    Having looked through them for half a day, is that the conclusion you came up with?
•    What’s up with Ke Lei today?
•    (He’s) Behaving strangely
•    He thinks you are lying (meaning coming over to pick things up was a lie).
•    Lying?
•    It’s 10 o’clock
•    It’s 10 o’clock and (he) still hasn’t left.
•    What he wants me to do instead, is (for me) to leave.
•    Fine, I’ll leave then.
•    Where will you go to?
•    Back to the camp.
•    You mean you will go back to the camp tonight?
•    But, to drive when it’s so late at night...
•    Seems rather dangerous
•    And my recovery (from the surgery) isn’t progressing satisfactorily
•    Why don’t you go next door and just make do?
•    That won’t do right?
•    Brother Ke Lei (5:43)
•    Sister, Brother Ke Lei is here
•    What’s wrong with Jia Ning’s leg?
•    You?
•    You both?
•    It’s Chen Dui’s daughter
•    This is my girlfriend, Mi Ka
•    Hello Sister Mi Ka 
•    You
•    Have you been to the hospital?
•    Yes, I have.
•    What did they say?
•    How about we go into the house to speak?
•    Yes, let’s go into the house.
•    This matter happened so suddenly.
•    It’s so sudden
•    Let me settle them first, then give you an explanation.
•    It’s alright.
•    You go accompany them.
•    Two young, pretty girls. (6:41)
•    Xing Ke Lei has known them since he was young?
•    Should be the case.
•    The elder one calls him ‘Brother Ke Lei’
•    And the younger one also addresses him as 'Brother'.
•    So, they must have known each other since they were young.
•    Are you silly or what?
•    What’s the matter?
•    The one calling him Brother Ke Lei has got a problem.

• Like 3

Started to watch, and am at ep10..

Cute... observations..

1. Surprised and how deep the actor /ML voice is... since he looked so young

2. The guys at Special Forces are always single?

3. Why is the 2ndary lead scared of the girl and why can she just enter just enter the police base so easily, just to ask him for lunch...

4. Maybe i feel Mika shouldnt be that dense not to know Captain Xing's liking her. Isnt it obvious, not said but his actions have shown it?

5. If she falls for him, is it because of him being her rescurer 2 years ago... rather than who he is now?

6. Oh yes, that men cooking for women again.. i dont understand, despite bring injured, he is cooking for her... i just want to see the romance moving faster :wub:

Thinking outloud...

and its a shame that Joseon Exorcist is cancelled by MBC...  fan wars need to end.. sigh... 

• Like 2

I've just watched E25 and here are my thoughts...

Spoiler

Wow, this show is great for teaching 'how to improve mother-daughter' relationships. At the start of E25, Yan Shan has resigned. Somewhere down the episode, her mother collapses and is taken to the hospital where she used to work. The colleagues help put on a show that she is still working there but the mother finds out and the situation turns ugly. She confronts the daughter who tries to keep up with the pretense and then all hell breaks loose - the mother loses her temper. She tells Yan Shan off for resigning, accusing her that she probably wasn't good enough, and that she (her mother) wouldn't be able to face her father (deceased), when she meets him in the after-life, for not having produced an accomplished daughter. Quite a feisty character - Yan Shan - she didn't take it lying down. She told her mother that she had never been asked what she wanted, and left the room in a flurry.

As per the preview, the mother sees the daughter going all out to rescue someone who had collasped in the hospital, eventhough she's resigned. The mother and daughter have a heart-to-heart talk and the mother says she saw the daughter going all out to rescue the man (acknowledging the daughter), a tinge of pride in her voice. And she says she is sorry she never considered what the daughter wanted. Yan Shan apologises for not being good enough but the mothers says, she is. From now on, she will support the daughter to pursue whatever she wants. The daughter says she actually does want to be a doctor, and the mother tells her not to give up then. [The mother needs to go for surgery and she agrees to whatever the daughter suggests. Prior to this, she told the daughter that she won't know how to read her medical report (putting her down) and insisted on sending it to her nephew who is abroad somewhere.) 

And I think, that is a wrap to the Yan Shan-mother argument. (the good news is that Dr Shao is a very objective boss and has told the hospital director to talk to Yan Shan, she is good at her job, and they should not lose her despite whatever she has done.)

I think for those interested in the 3rd couple, Ke Yao (Ke Lei's sister) and Dr Shao, the tension between them is still there and it's clear to the audience they still have each other in their hearts. The ship will sail probably a few episodes down...

Wen Bo comes to the rescue when Qing Xia has a flat tire. It's akward between the two of them. It's obvious he is not immune to her but obviously he can't overcome his own fears about being in a relationship with her for now. Qing Xia still can't get over him but she tries to appear cool towards him whenever she sees him, and it's quite painful to watch them both.

Our Ke Lei knows something is not right with himself but he's not telling Mi Ka anything, just yet.

and as for E26

Spoiler

Mi Ka handles the surgery for Yan Shan's mother and it goes smoothly. Yan Shan is grateful to Mi Ka. The seniors who are observing and assisting in the surgery applaud her for being calm throughout and handling the surgery well.

It's this episode that Ke Lei reveals his condition to her (just like what is shown in the preview). She gets a little emotional but this girl has always had a pretty good handle on her emotions and asks him if he has informed his sister. The sister is away on a medical conference with Dr Shao (she made the trip there hearing that Dr Shao was there, so we know for a fact that she still has him in her heart). During the meeting, she was supposed to have a sight-seeing tour (organised by a mutual friend also attending the conference, and trying to play match-maker) with Dr Shao but the phone call comes... informing her of her brother's condition. She makes a trip back hastily, informing Dr Shao of his condition. Of course, our dear Dr Shao asks to see the report to understand his condition better and offers to cut short his trip. Back at the hospital, he informs Mi Ka that he is confident he can carry out a surgery that will be riskier but will give Ke Lei a quicker recovery and hopefully improve his prognosis (probably better motor movement/dexterity?) [do look forward to a really lovely scene where Ke Lei's sister cooks for him and they (including Mi Ka) have a home-cooked meal and both the ladies dote upon him.]

As for Yan Shan, she may have allowed jealousy to rear its ugly head in her but that girl has the guts to admit it when she is wrong. She does so to Mi Ka, very genuinely and asks for her forgiveness. Mi Ka has always been a very understanding and gracious sort of person. So, for the both of them, alls well ends well. 

E26 ends with Mi Ka telling Ke Lei that Dr Shao has seen his case and is confident he can give him a better prognosis. But no matter what, she will support his decision. [it's sweet, he can't drive, I think, so he comes to pick her up after work, and they take the public transport home. And she pulls off a scene that gives me a Oh My General vibe- she pulls him close and puts his head on her shoulders.] But I still think this looks like a noona romance, Ke Lei's got such a baby-face and she does a fair job of hiding her 33 years of age but it's quite clearly there.]

Happy Watching E25 and 26, you all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ep 25 & 26 When we are healthy we are strong, we are clear and we are optimally contributing ... this drama is uncovering in a nice  and beneficial way  what is optimal support of friends, girlfriends/boyfriends, brothers/colleagues.

Go for it Captain  Kelei , you have the best team of doctors, family and friends with you :thumbsup: and we are all rooting for you . 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

At the beginning of ep 25 XKL was walking up the stairs and thinking back what the initial doctor said.

The doctor said the tumor is likely benign and very small chance that it's malignant. In a way, this is good news...

@jadore1 he has one of the best doctor's operating on him, so hopefully it will be a positive result.  I think the mean thing is maintaining healthy and tumor free, even if he might have to give up his current captain position. 

12 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Started to watch, and am at ep10..

Cute... observations..

1. Surprised and how deep the actor /ML voice is... since he looked so young

2. The guys at Special Forces are always single?

3. Why is the 2ndary lead scared of the girl and why can she just enter just enter the police base so easily, just to ask him for lunch...

4. Maybe i feel Mika shouldnt be that dense not to know Captain Xing's liking her. Isnt it obvious, not said but his actions have shown it?

5. If she falls for him, is it because of him being her rescurer 2 years ago... rather than who he is now?

6. Oh yes, that men cooking for women again.. i dont understand, despite bring injured, he is cooking for her... i just want to see the romance moving faster :wub:

Thinking outlout...

and its a shame that Joseon Exorcist is cancelled by MBC...  fan wars need to end.. sigh... 

@realistic2280a

2) You're right! They probably don't get out much to mingle since they are training all the time and have strict curfews.

3) Xia's been doing a story early in the episodes when the doctors were getting their training.  I'm sure she has special clearance.

4) I agree! It's so obvious....but neither of them seem to want to make the 1st move.

5) There will be more explanation in the later episodes

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 6:32 AM, NYXbaby said:

@realistic2280a

2) You're right! They probably don't get out much to mingle since they are training all the time and have strict curfews.

3) Xia's been doing a story early in the episodes when the doctors were getting their training.  I'm sure she has special clearance.

4) I agree! It's so obvious....but neither of them seem to want to make the 1st move.

5) There will be more explanation in the later episodes

Hi...

2. Im sure they will get leave once a week or so. But since they were in unibersities before, one would expect them to have gf ? I know training can be tough... but yes. Just saying...:D

3. But she ended her tv show hence no basis for her to be there after that.... she managed to enter they coz people know her, when she was asked... show how lax the police training area, a special forces training area at that, isnt it :phew:

4... oh he is making all the first moves... having lunch, texting, giving her stuffs and lending his apartment.... hehe

5. Great... looking forward to that...hopefully its not what im going think. The line probably gonna be, Captain also liked her, when he rescued her 2 years ago.. no? Hehee..

• Like 1

ep 27 & 28 ...Very glad that Dr S is such a remarkable doctor and human being ...I like seeing examples of  good possibilities .     I like the diversity of characters and their acceptance of each other and  that one formula does not fit all and it should not ...I  like being surprised with their choices. 

• Like 2

@jadore1 agree, there weren't any roller-coaster evoking scenes, a little during the surgery but we already knew what to expect. And Dr Shao is truly such a professional and proficient surgeon. I like that Ke Lei honoured his word to share his  progress with Mi Ka. And I think his team mates are so cute, I was wondering what battle plans they were sketching...LOL

@blue_izce8 Enjoying the interaction between our 3rd leads?

Spoiler

I am! I like how the show is giving us tiny flashbacks of their past interactions and I am wondering why he held back in the past. I can't wait for him to explain or apologise to Ke Yao. And I think it's hilarious that he reacted instantly without hesitation (out of concern and may I say affection?) upon seeing her asleep in the car. And that she said I left the roof open. haha

For a guy who's usually quite stoic, I like these tiny moments when he openly shows his concern for her.

It's darn obvious that Wen Bo is regretting his "let's be best of friends'...when will he have the guts to take back what he said? I wonder...

• Like 1

Am at ep16...

Im not sure why the soldiers are not at the earthquake scene... usually the military would be the first together with medical personnel..

Im thinking this rescue episode seemed pretty long... when will they go back to the city, i wonder...

‐------

Ah the confession episode... 

---

Ep18.. ok whats with Wen Shenbao?... he seemed wanting to be in a relationship with xia in ep16, yet by 18, he is still the reluctant man? Urgh... 

Xia is probably better off with ex-policeman bar owner.. sigh...

The adjacent apartment... reminds me of Love Is Sweet... same company which produce the drama?

• Like 1

@SC2019 Dr Shao and KeYao...in retrospect I actually loved his decision ...She wanted him to ask her to stay, thereby putting her choices in his hands , and he did not want that .  I love this choice , equal partnership, equal and authentic responsibility :thumbsup:

Wenbo and Xia have their own journey and I respect that too. Mind you I did laugh when she kicked him 'accidentally' in heavenly region ...in her own butterfly way she is feisty , she is adventurous and willing to try all the cake that life offers, but he is better cook , tire changer, photographer ...so at the end its that trust in life and go for a relationship even though it might look world apart.  

To be a patient or a care giver/doctor , which is more demanding ...Mi Ka admits to her vulnerability and now Kelei is learning that lone wolf might be better by sharing .  ep 27&28

In ep 29 & 30 ....I like how Mi Ka used the water bottle to show no shaking ...to me pictures and good examples are worth more than 1000 words 

• Like 1

Hello chingus! Here to drop by my collated previews for episodes 31-37, none available for 38-40 maybe cuz of the ending.  Sad also that this drama will be ending next week.  I am thoroughly enjoying it.  First one to make me post on twitter other than PHJ and Deng Lun.  Even CLOY did not make me, I was updating on Insta.

Will post my thoughts on this weeks episode later.

• Like 2

I'm starting to like Keyao's character. She is so conversative and straight forward. I like how explained and rationalized to XKL how he was wrong on how he treated MK due to the misunderstanding.  Sometimes you just need a family member to knock some sense in you to realize! 

I'm loving the OST!

• Like 1