[Drama 2021] Nevertheless | 알고있지만

kattkedi

I'm not taking this drama as a romance drama. From my interpretation it seems to just be telling a story about a girl in college who gets in over her head and bamboozled by an attractive guy. I'll be interested to see if she stands up for herself and tells him to get lost by the end. (I didn't read the webtoon) Overall, the first episode was a bit slow but it kept me watching. In a sea of kdramas where male leads are perfect and too good to be true I'll welcome a more realistic portrayal of young lust/infatuation/sexual entanglement. 

As long as the toxic elements aren't romanticized I don't see a problem.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

b9f43f58aa8540bab4a8c0c549e98385.jpeg?s=

Watch: Han So Hee, Song Kang, Chae Jong Hyeop, And Yang Hye Ji Share Thoughts On First Filming For “Nevertheless”

Jun 21, 2021

by S. Nam

JTBC’s “Nevertheless” released a new making-of video!

Based on the webtoon of the same name, “Nevertheless” is a JTBC romance drama starring Han So Hee as Yoo Na Bi, a woman who doesn’t believe in love but still wants to date, and Song Kang as Park Jae Uhn, a man who doesn’t want to date but still wants to have flings.

In the new behind-the-scenes video, the cast shares their thoughts on the new drama. Han So Hee comments, “I came to the set of the first filming with a lot of expectations since this is a webtoon I enjoy a lot on a regular basis. Everyone is similar to their characters like I’d expected, and there are a lot of similarities between Na Bi and myself as well, so I’m filming enjoyably and comfortably.”

Regarding her chemistry with Song Kang, she reveals, “With Jae Uhn, we’re still a bit awkward since it’s the early stages. I’m filming half with heart-fluttering excitement and half with anticipation.” Han So Hee also mentions her efforts to portray Yoo Na Bi properly and states that she has been thinking a lot about how to portray a realistic story about college students naturally.

Song Kang shares, “We had the first filming session today. I had a lot of fun reading the webtoon, so I came to the set with anticipation, but everyone was fun beyond expectations. It’s so much fun on set that I’m filming with a happy heart.”

He continues, “Na Bi does really well, so I just have to follow her. Perhaps because we’re the same age, we get along very well, so I think we’re having fun filming like friends. This is my fourth webtoon-based drama, so I’ll work hard to bring to life the character of Park Jae Uhn well.”

Chae Jong Hyeop, who plays Yang Do Hyuk, comments, “I was really looking forward to and excited for the first filming, and since I’ve become closer with all the other actors, I think we filmed well while having fun.” He also shares his resolve to have fun filming while working hard.

Yang Hye Ji, who plays Oh Bit Na, explains, “We’re filming with people around the same age. We don’t have much of a difference in our ages, so we quickly became close from the first filming. Every morning when we have a group scene, I get excited thinking about what we’ll talk about today while having fun.” Yang Hye Ji adds that since she’s a big fan of the webtoon, she thinks that it’s a big fortune to be able to watch the webtoon being made into a drama from the closest possible position.

Watch the full making-of video below!

“Nevertheless,” which premiered on June 19, airs on Saturdays at 11 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1475687wpp/watch-han-so-hee-song-kang-chae-jong-hyeop-and-yang-hye-ji-share-thoughts-on-first-filming-for-nevertheless

• Like 4

16 hours ago, chuu18 said:

I read the whole webtoon and the ending wasn’t the classic happy ending, but it was fitting and realistic. The characters are pretty fked up and toxic as the story progresses.

I have no issues with the drama, it was like watching the webtoon come to life. Song Kang and Han So Hee are <3 They both look good individually and together.

Although after reading the webtoon, I still do not know what is the message of the whole story LOL. 

Would appreciate some enlightenment lol

Oh okay, thanks for the info,

13 hours ago, sobohomom2 said:

He does seem like such a player, who is knowingly dishonest in his relationships. Whatever this show may be, it's not a romance.

Yeah he seems like such a player.

• Like 3

Never have I seen so many everyones in art school greet each other with so many 'hi ___' like they're bffs. Kinda makes me jelly of Nabi since it's a tight knit world over here but maybe that's just SK college culture + their social gatherings. Interesting to see her contrasting behaviours of when she's at school 'heying' everyone and when she's with her ex. I guess that's what toxic relationships do to some, although she still seems to be at the shy-er end. 

Ex was humiliating. Not only did he not get permissions to use her face + name for the piece, he gaslights her.

I'd assume you'd usually discuss with the model, do some real time sculpting before publicizing it- unless he did it based on memory or used his other lady for the body and Nabi's photo for the face.

I'm also wondering how Nabi never saw it, but he probs hid it very well though I'd never do clay work outside a studio unless I had proper ventilation and etc.

Lol'd at her friends saying 'maybe it shows he cares for you' and 'ur his muSe' bull bc if he really cared, he would've understood his boundaries and reconsidered his artistic decisions. Would've been nice if the friends had a discussion about how Nabi's relationship is concerning/ly toxic rather than *coughs* ur his mUse.

Jae Eon is lol creeps at all the side-eying indirect butterfly comments. Haha If he weren't attractive, I'd stay the f away from him. The amount of times he sent his face up to her though... and she rejected him every time. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

13 hours ago, tofumochu said:

Jae Eon is lol creeps at all the side-eying indirect butterfly comments. Haha If he weren't attractive, I'd stay the f away from him. The amount of times he sent his face up to her though... and she rejected him every time. 

The unwanted advances & touching makes me want to (ง'̀-'́)ง PJE. 

He needs his patootie handed to him lol. Like a fish on a cold platter.

The men Na Bi attracts so far are repulsive. All she needs is her gal pals lol. 

• Like 6

:crazily:

I feel the same sentiment. :dissapointed_relieved:

2021-06-21 16:45

'Sweet Home' star lackluster in JTBC's new TV romance series 'Nevertheless,'

JTBC's new series, "Nevertheless," kicked off to a disappointing start on Saturday with poor ratings and complaints about the lead actors' performances.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp%3fnewsIdx=310841

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

It's probably to do with Song Kang not really fitting romance genre, the close ups on his face doesn't do it for me, I don't really see emotions there. I thought his acting was best in Navillera, though I've only seen him in Love Alarm 1 & 2, Navillera and now Nevertheless episode 1. His looks aren't my style, but one can't deny that he is goodlooking.

However it's that gaze in his eyes that looks to me more disturbing/without feeling, especially when he looks at female lead, which makes me question the storyline: He is supposed to portray an intoxicating character that makes girls fall over him. Then again, it may be the writing that doesn't fit him. 

It's too early too tell as this is only Episode 1, although I saw he was cast again in romance, this time with Park Min Young... 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, agenth said:

However it's that gaze in his eyes that looks to me more disturbing/without feeling, especially when he looks at female lead, which makes me question the storyline: He is supposed to portray an intoxicating character that makes girls fall over him.

Ditto. He lacks depth. His facial expression apparently didnt deliver the scene's mood. I love his acting on Netflix SH though.

Maybe melodrama doesn't fit him but it is still episode one so I'm still looking forward for more. 

I hope he improves given his many projects previously. 

• Like 6

Ep. 1: I thought was perfectly shot, setting the mood for the entire series. I haven't read the webtoon but know the basic story and end, and seeing the first episode, some thoughts:

FL obviously is an unsure / insecure (low self-esteem?) young woman who has potential to be great in her work but gives in to dominant men who are 'stars', emotionally unavailable, evasive, and take advantage of her, and she ends up losing herself in their work and life, trying to fit herself in their world.

She was first involved with her married art teacher in an academy who exploited her image and sexual memory for his 'exhibit' without her permission or understanding, apart from being a common lothario with control issues. 

Now, on a rebound, she's attracted to a university star who has a thing for butterflies, literally!

ML will either be exactly a repeat of her former lover or will be a healing and love- affirming experience.

This drama will go one of 2 ways: After a lot of hot and cold, no strings attached sex, and toxicity and trust issues, they'll help each other grow up, inspire and heal and move on, and maybe meet each other again in some foreign land as exchange students for a fresh start. ML was shown drawing FL's image and most probably will use her image in his 'butterfly' artwork (in a professional ethical manner that will resolve her pain over being exploited by the former lover). Open ending as to their status as it is in the first episode.  

Or FL is mistaken in her belief that ML is a player, all the shots of him kissing women are actually of other campus boys who have similar 'backs', ML will reveal himself to have emotional scars from his parents marriage or some other thing and that's why he resists 'dating' / committing himself to one person. All that will change with FL, and he will be shown pursuing only her in his casual calm way, and they'll end up together, in a more traditional happy ending.   

Either ways, it doesn't deserve poor ratings. As for acting, I thought It's Okay to Not be Okay was a stylish, well-shot drama with an average but over-hyped ML and FL, who got rave reviews here on soompi! In 'Nevertheless' the ML is supposed to hide his emotions, and be a smooth operator, so that doesn't leave much room for expressions in any case. I don't know whether he is wooden by choice or lack of ability but I will watch next episode to see where it is going. Intriguing story.   

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Sakurafairy said:

Ditto. He lacks depth. His facial expression apparently didnt deliver the scene's mood. I love his acting on Netflix SH though.

Maybe melodrama doesn't fit him but it is still episode one so I'm still looking forward for more. 

I hope he improves given his many projects previously. 

I’ve seen him in Sweet Home, Navirella, and snippets in Love Alarm. My overall consensus about him is that he’s an okay actor. He is great in the emotional aspect like crying but his line delivery is rather stiff. He’s isn’t quippy in terms of his face/eye acting either lol. 

• Like 7

When I see all the trailers on this drama, I was expecting some intense love story. But after watching the first episode, it felt wrong. So I come here to see the sentiments.

for me this is closer to a lust/obsession kinda thing than love.

not to mention the timeline kinda threw me off a bit. I still don't know they met again after a few months or after a few days. She met him for the first time on a snowy day and met again when sakura falls. but she still have that "tatoo" on her.

Not sure if I should continue or just drop it here.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

I'll still continue to watch this. I want to see the actor's acting improvement. Who knows?

:winkx:

@_thematchabunyup, true, he isn't witty in terms of the facial expressions - the rage or the puppy eyes, the slight quivering of mouths's corners - these are just some of facial expressions that an artists need to study for the viewers. We need to immerse;to be in their characters, that way we shall enjoy their drama. 

Off- topic but I wont forget Queen Seon Deok's drama Mishil character. Go Hyun Jung's side of mouth always quivered when she was angry and that made all the viewers so immersed in her character. :P

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Hi everyone, I've watched many Kdramas but this is my first time posting here. I literally made an account just now because I wanted to talk about this drama.

This is not a romance. It's a story of manipulation, emotional abuse and gaslighting. Nabi is the victim and Jae Uhn is the abuser. She cannot think straight, she is going bonkers with mixed signals and of course there's a lot of sexual tension. Her consent is constantly being manipulated. When the reality hits her like a ton of bricks, she'll need years of therapy. She'll probably only realise the extent of the abuse when she's in her thirties. Each episode of this drama is so triggering but I'm still watching it because of the realistic portrayal. I've been there, in her shoes and I'm glad that a drama is showing the truth to young women, telling the story like it is. We are fed so much crap in the name of romance, which, I admit is all that we want to see. Chivalrous, honorable heroes who grovel for the heroine, who change their playboy ways when they find The One. And we all want to believe that however that is far from the truth.

This drama is bringing some semblance of the reality on our screens. I don't care if the ratings are low, but this show should go on. Also, they have included a lesbian plotline which is being handled rather well. Every episode wants to make me book a therapy session tbh but I will continue watching and make all my girlfriends watch this.

• Like 5

I have watched Ep 1-2:

First, thanks to everyone here for their postings thoughts, comments, info, gifs, etc. on this drama. Based on the synopsis I read, I thought this was going to be more of a story of 2 people who rushed into things not looking for any strings but then found their feelings engaged in spite of themselves, but it's not quite playing out that way so far in my opinion.  FL seems to want a new relationship/strings despite just coming off a bad breakup, instead of just some fun times/one night stand type of thing. So she is wary of ML who seems to be looking for those things. ML has reputation as a flirt and womanizer, but he keeps coming back time and again after FL rejections when usually this type of man will just move on to the next one.  I'm a bit confused on the timeline of events. FL friend Bit-na trying to get FL to come to the gatherings, saying that "juniors" were asking about her- was this before or after she met up with ML at the bar?  

There was so much going on in these first 2 episodes that I feel I must rewatch them to get a better understanding of the characters and their motivations before watching ep. 3. 

• Like 3

That disgusting obese senior whatever made so many sexist, misogynistic remarks toward Na Bi and kept goin'! Like HELLo can't you tell she's not havin' any of your crap?! Get a clue yo. 

And Na Bi is drawn to Jae Eon like a moth to a flame, she knows it but can't help herself. Is it because she feels she can change him? That's a big no. A lot of times women feel obligated to stay in a toxic relationship out of empathy/pity? They feel their partner would get lonely, go insane if they walked away. 

Then what of their own sanity, their own happiness?? Don't they deserve it too? It's not anyone's job to babysit the other or make them feel superior. There should be mutual trust in every relationship. 

Na Bi also need to learn to assert herself more. She comes across indecisive & meek. Speak louder to start LoL. Be more like her friend - the one with highlights in her hair. 

Sol is *** or bisexual..? She definitely seem to be into her female friend.. so is the friend to be honest LoL. But I'm not sure it's 'cause she feel left out? The guy she spilled coffee on seem to have a thing for her as well. 

Don't know which one is worse LoL: At A Distance Spring Is Green's Yeo Joon or Nevertheless' Jae Eon oh boy~

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2