Quick Poll: Dramas You are Looking Forward To

Sleepy Owl

Quick Poll: Dramas You are Looking Forward To  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which dramas are you planning on checking out in Feb - April ? (Choose as many as you like)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/19/2021 at 09:00 AM

2 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

kekekek... @Sleepy Owl ~ I can barely watch 2-3 dramas! am still behind on marriage and divorce lyrics. yet to watch ep 8. and you have so many on your list. haahahahhah.. go, go, go! enjoy!

when the dramas I want to watch increase more than I can handle, I leave some of them for binge watching, while watching some of them irregularly and not follow them weekly. So I also think that I will need to manage time here, considering the fact that I am re-watching 2 dramas here :joy:

I was thinking of River where the moon rises some months ago. First I got the Kim So Hyun and Kim Soo Hyun mixed, so got the gender wrong. Laugh if you want, I get Korean names mixed up easily.:glasses:

Then the actor who plays Kim's father is the actor in Moon Lovers. He is  10 year's or so older than her.  It's a sageuk? 
 I'll take a peek later, thought it was a fantasy. 

7 hours ago, maribella said:

Then the actor who plays Kim's father is the actor in Moon Lovers. He is  10 year's or so older than her.  It's a sageuk? 

Actually he plays Ji Soo's father, and when they were just kids. That's a cameo role. Its a Sageuk based on a famous folk tale called "Tale of On Dal". So I believe it will be far from fantasy. 

6 hours ago, madmad min said:

Sisyphus The Myth : Haven't seen Park ShinYe in a looong time.That's why.

River where the Moon Rises - CAN Jisoo FINALLY GET THE GIRL ALIVE???And be the MAIN Lead Lol. 

Well, he certainly is the main lead, will he finally get the girl alive, hopefully :loolz:

I watched Park Shin Hye's "Call", and although there were some plot holes in that movie, it sill was based on an interested concept. 

@Sleepy Owl

I forgot the titles but looking forward the one with Lee Min Ki x Nana. Also the one with Jung So Min x Kim Ji Suk.

The one I'm waiting and really looking forward most anticipated drama is Juvenile Judgement. Look at that cast! Kim Hye Soo, Lee Sung Min, and Kim Moo Yeol. Anticipating terrific acting.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:38 AM, partyon said:

Yay! So many interesting dramas that will start soon! :partyblob:

I for one will be watching:

• Vincenzo - mostly because of Kwak Dong Yeon
  • Beyond Evil - love love LOVE psychological thrillers :heart:

@partyon, I very much agree with you - so many interesting dramas to watch & to look forward to - Like you, can't wait for "Vincenzo", which is starting tomorrow, February 20!  Me, mainly for Taecyeon & maybe Song Joong Ki, too.  :highonflowers:

8 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I might watch River where the moon rises... but the last 2 korean dramas I've watched I gave up on. 

@SilverDawn, I'm watching the drama for Kang Ha Neul, though cameo there but also for JI Soo. It's just that can't able to do it continuously since I lacked time because of work.  :kisslevel:

Luckily no live-airing dramas in the recent weeks to look forward to in k-dramaland for me, esp after Mr. Queen's finale. Will be watching the 'recent classics' post 2013/14 that I missed out on. (currently watching WFKBJ, plan to watch: My familiar wife, Go back couple, MLFTS, Reply 88, Fight for my way, Secret love affair, It's okay that's love, Sky castle, Mystic pop-up bar, etc)

Meanwhile, I'm finishing up on c-dramas (currently watching: My little happiness, Rebel princess, plan to watch: Someday or one day, and the light on series)

My drama genres has changed these days. In the past I always look forward to romantic - comedy and  melodrama and to my surprise this time  around I get to love thriller - related dramas that's why I chose those heart pounding dramas not because it is about  being in love but because something is missing ot something needs to find out. 

So I really look forward to Vincenzo, Beyond Evil, Sisyphus:The Myth, Mouse and  Joseon Exorcist. 

Two of my fave actors have dramas these months.  Cho Seung Woo and Song Joong Ki so these following months will be an enjoyable ride, plus these dramas are on Netflix.

Tagging BOGUMMIES here to say their piece. :tongue:

@gumtaek @U-Çan @Rom828 @BogumNoona @dahae2006@willenette @Springmaiden

PS: Done watching Queen Cheorin/Mr.Queen and thanks to the screenwriter for the excellent script he or she had created and the PD for how he beautifully shot the entire series.   I enjoy the drama for most of the time. Job well done cast and crew. 

1 hour ago, Chibi8535 said:

Luckily no live-airing dramas in the recent weeks to look forward to in k-dramaland for me, esp after Mr. Queen's finale. Will be watching the 'recent classics' post 2013/14 that I missed out on. (currently watching WFKBJ, plan to watch: My familiar wife, Go back couple, MLFTS, Reply 88, Fight for my way, Secret love affair, It's okay that's love, Sky castle, Mystic pop-up bar, etc)

Meanwhile, I'm finishing up on c-dramas (currently watching: My little happiness, Rebel princess, plan to watch: Someday or one day, and the light on series)

@Chibi8535,   I'm not really into C-dramas, unless my K-biases are on it. Not that I hate it but - I will probably be a little biased in this, but this answer differs from person to person, so I won’t be trying to change my opinions, just to make you all satisfied with how I answered. Everyone can have their opinion, anyway. I have been around K-dramas for longer and more often than around the C-ones, but this is not the only reason why I choose K-DRAMAS as an answer. One of the reasons is the length of every drama they air. Their dramas usually 40 up to even 80 episodes and one episode have usually around an hour or even more. Maybe it is just me, not being patient with these things, but I become bored when everything is going too slow or there are too many plots in the story. Most K-dramas has a quicker plot - 16–18 episodes. I don’t have time to watch something for months. Most of the Chinese dramas that pop up on me are historical ones, which genre I don't really dig. Looking through at least few of them before, they were almost the same - nothing spectacular changes, it always the same sentimental love story. On the other hand, I think that K-dramas have much more variety in them. Even the styling and overall aesthetics in k-dramas I feel like is way more pleasing for the eyes than in the Chinese ones, but this is purely based on preferences and taste of people. K-dramas re most of the time, fast paced. Because the episode numbers are less, the plot moves pretty quickly. C-dramas on the other hand move slowly and take time to come to the main conflict/plot. There are many good C-dramas with good acting, however I personally can’t feel any connection to the characters since I'm not really familiar with their stars. K-dramas generally have a higher production value. It’s not just about good looking men and women. They cover a wider range of stories, social issues and not just romance. Not all are good, but at least I find I can enjoy a range of different stories. I also like the soundtracks that go with K-dramas.  :Megalol:

9 hours ago, jongski said:

The one I'm waiting and really looking forward most anticipated drama is Juvenile Judgement. 

Thanks for sharing. Wow there are so many good cast and storyline coming up on 2nd half of the year. 

Just to add on the below list that start filming on 2nd half of the year (?) but may delay release airing (?) depend on the covid 19 situation:

March

Great Real Estate - by Jang Na-ra and Jung Yong-hwa

Dark Hole - by Lee Joon-hyuk and Kim Ok-bin

April

Undercover - by Ji Jin-hee and Kim Hyun-joo

Taxi Driver - by Lee Je-hoon

Below drama line up - but airing schedule not in sequence

• Devilish Judge - by actor Ji-sung
  • Voice 4 - by actor Song Seung-heon & actress Lee Ha-na
  • Moving - by actor Jo In-sung & actress Han Hyo-joo 
  • Insider - by actor Kang Ha-Neul
  • That night (BBC remake) by actor Kim Soo-hyun
  • Island - by actor Kim Nam Gil & actress Seo Ye-Ji
  • Cliffhanger - by actor Ju Ji-Hoon & actress Jun Ji-hyun
  • The Silent Sea - by actor Gong Yoo & actress Bae Doo-na
  • D.P Dog Day - by actor Jung Hae-in
  • Kingdom S3 - by actor Ju Ji-Hoon
  • Hospital Playlist S2 - by actor Jo Jung-suk

After looking at the long list, i have to be selective and start re-open the book "time management" :crazily:

:facepalm:

@willenette - Fully agreed with you. I watch Kdrama more than Cdrama because of the length duration. I love kdrama OST and their varieties. :) Japanese drama also not bad, they mostly have short EP and some quite meaningful too.

@willenette Haha Actually as per Duration Kdramas and Cdramas are same Cdramas have 40-60 Episodes of 40 minutes each and Kdramas are 20 episodes 1.2 Hours Each. I do agree Kdrama seem fast in pace and Cdrama doesn't.

Cdrama have to be Sorted Out cause all Xianxia and Wuxia Look same as per Men and Women characterization unless The Story is really Really different, Upto now only 3 have stood out for me and 2 out of them had similar storylines but very Different Passion Level. But saying that Kdramas can Never hit that level of Passion that A Cdrama Can. They are way more Passionate in story telling and CP sense. But are underrated because general audience likes Modern shows as compared to costume dramas.

Both have their Pros and Cons

Good Cdrama Costumes >>> Kdrama Costumes

Modern Kdramas >>> Modern Cdramas

Cdrama Passion >> Kdrama Passion

Kdrama Story Pace >>> Cdrama Story Pace

Kdrama SML >>>>>>>>> Cdrama SML

Cdrama CP >>>>>>>> Kdrama CP

Soundtracks are Good on both end, depends on your tastes at that time Mostly. Cdrama productions actually need to stop following the same Tried and tested Formulas , cbiz  follows like Herd trend and that's why they suffer, but some stories are done way better than Kdramas. And their actors are very Underrated as compared.

But again Kdramas are Globally Popular hence the Preference comes into play , also Yes Kdramas are Made to suit Global Taste Cdramas are not that much obedient there, you just need to pick what suits at that time hahah, both are about your Biases Lol.

9 hours ago, willenette said:

I'm not really into C-dramas, unless my K-biases are on it.

Really? I thought the K-ban in C-ent is indefinite, which means I will never get to watch the c-dramas with LJS, PMY and JCW T_T

One of the reasons is the length of every drama they air. Their dramas usually 40 up to even 80 episodes and one episode have usually around an hour or even more.

I think its k-dramas which run for more than an hour (1 hour 10 mins, 1 hour 20 mins etc). Haven't Yet come across c-dramas which do the same (I watch exclusively the stuff that clocks around 45mins per ep). Recently, C-ent has come up with a 'serious drama-making' venture from one of their platforms (kinda like tvn/ jtbc) called the Light On series. All of them are around 10/12 episodes. But sadly it's of a thriller/ crime mystery genre which interests a very niche audience. However, you're right, a 16-episode k-drama with similar plot progression is easier time-investment wise, and similar ventures from c-dramaland are always min. 24 and can stretch upto 38/40 (i'm talking about modern day romance, comedy, slice of life, police/detective dramas etc)

I don’t have time to watch something for months.

Actually, c-dramas (atleast the web ones) drop episodes at a faster rate than k-dramas. For comparison, a 16 episode k-drama without any delays on its airing schedule would air 2 episodes-- 1 each day, for two days in a week. Which means a 2-month commitment if you're live-watching. However, c-dramas usually air for 3 or 4 days a week, dropping 2 or 3 episodes a day. So, weekly it drops a min of 6 episodes for standard viewers (extra episodes for vip subscribers who can finish early). So a 24-episode chinese webdrama like the Romance of Tiger & Rose dropped all episodes within a month. So, I'd say c-dramas can be over quickly. However, binge-watching is whole different game; k-dramas with its fewer episode-hours finish off quickly as compared to more episode-hours from c-dramas. If episode-hours are my priority, I indulge in an occasional j-dorama, cuz some of them are like 7 episodes of 25mins each! >.<

Most of the Chinese dramas that pop up on me are historical ones, which genre I don't really dig.

Absolutely. I find them very striking both costume, sets, CGI, action-wise as compared to Saeguks, which seem a tad-low budget and dry. However, this is the genre that can run 60+ episodes. I was lagging behind on my PTW-list, hence I switched over to k-dramas exclusively!

Even the styling and overall aesthetics in k-dramas I feel like is way more pleasing for the eyes than in the Chinese ones, but this is purely based on preferences and taste of people.

This is definitely true for modern-day setting dramas. Everything is beautifully filtered and airbrushed, and they have top-notch color-grading, atleast the dramas from tvn and jtbc. It's a tad iffy for c-dramas. J-doramas still have the 2000's sepia aesthetics, everything is incredibly grainy. Also, most k-dramas is set in the glitzy Seoul, but J-doramas are not exclusively set in Tokyo, and oftentimes shot/set in the non-metropolitan area. Glitzy C-dramas are always around Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzen, Guangzhou or Chongching which are ALL large metropolises. As I personally study cities, the variety in skylines is definitely interesting!

C-dramas on the other hand move slowly and take time to come to the main conflict/plot.

Or they move toooo fast, and then hit a slump. I can say the same about some k-dramas too. But luckily the slump feels less intense for a 16-episode series.

There are many good C-dramas with good acting, however I personally can’t feel any connection to the characters since I'm not really familiar with their stars.

Haha, I was just like this about K-drama stars, because I started watching C-dramas first. There was a time where I found them more good-looking, however, I think both have their equal charms. Female C-stars have finer features, but the k-celebs are more glamorous. Similarly, the men (traffic actors or idol actors.... no idol actors means something very different from what they are in korea)... they too are supremely, ethereally beautiful, however next to k-actors, they look quite small, because k-actors are incredibly passionate about working out and building muscle. Most c-actors honestly look like they need to be fed a sandwich, or two.
Interestingly enough, it is *very* easy to be invested into c-actors because they LOVE repeating hit OTPs/ onscreen couples. K-actors I can think of, have mostly been paired at max twice, but hit c-stars have been paired upto FOUR times or even more. They can have a more rabid fan-following (the CP fans). So while fans in k-dramaland keep praying for repeat pairings, c-dramas actually give us that fan-service, so yeah! :D However, I follow both c-actors as well as k-actors (and a few j-actors too)... but then c-actors sadly don't have insta, or upload too much!

Also, I personally think k-dramas have faaar better acting, atleast the post 2012/13 ones. Traffic actors from china (aka idol actors of china) mostly cannot act. Some of them haven't even attended acting schools and were recruited cuz 'they look good'. K-actors are far more serious about their craft. Non-traffic actors in China are really good though,  but seldom act in popular mainstream dramas.

K-dramas generally have a higher production value

Modern yes, but I can't say the same about Historic Costume dramas.

They cover a wider range of stories, social issues and not just romance.

Absolutely, slice of life k-dramas are SO good. But then, C-dramas have special genres called Wuxia and Xianxia, sadly nothing comparable exists in k-dramaland.... so yeah. I head that way, incase I want some! :)

I also like the soundtracks that go with K-dramas. 

Yup, most of them have a special spot on my playlist!... Once again though, Saeguk (fantasy or otherwise) have TOO modern sounding tracks. I prefer historic traditional instruments and compositions for soundtracks in those cases, and c-dramas are ESPECIALLY good at those!...

In short, I perfectly understand and respect your opinion @willenette Once I too got exhausted and quit c-dramas because I didn't have the energy to watch 60+ episodes, one after the other. However, as I continue to watch k-dramas, I also see how formulaic they can be in terms of relationship milestones (you can literally anticipate the first hand-holding, the first-kiss, the major conflict etc. to hit at a certain episode number). Also, I have a very stringent criteria for picking up dramas to watch (I have a lot of good ones left as I recently got to watching dramas again after a decade). Hence, I only pick the good ones from k-dramaland over the years, with rave reviews from bloggers I follow personally. When I need a change of pace, I move over to c-dramas and j-doramas (as a hack to increase my drama-count lol!)... It's important to remember c-ent releases about 10 times as many dramas as k-ent, so mostly it's filled with trash. You need to pick *very* carefully ad research is the only way to go. It's much easier to hit upon a gem of drama in k-ent, so if someone doesn't wish to research, it's easier to pick up a k-drama because you know the likelihood of watching a landmine of drama is pretty less. C-dramas are very tricky on the other hand, but I have a trusted reviewer whose opinions I really trust.

Anyhow, both dramalands have equal strengths and flaws. We watch whatever floats our boats... However, as somebody who watches both equally, I had to write such a long message, because some facts you wrote about c-dramaland were completely off, and far from what it is really (sorry no offense... but what you wrote seemed like what somebody *thinks* of a particular country's dramas without having watched too many of them, or having watched a few, but not being interested enough to follow the trends in detail)....
Also, peeps who have read this whole thing in entirety and wish to give c-dramas a try, definitely do go ahead. Some (although very few) are realllyy good! ^^

Thank you to all the Chingus who participated in this event :heartxoxo:

As mentioned, the Quick Poll will be a recurring event, and we look forward to see you all around in the next Quick Poll and other events :dorakiss:

Please don't forget to contact us in case you have ideas and suggestions regarding the events :approves:

Your Friendly Neighborhood and Resident Event Organizers

@Lmangla, @partyon and @Sleepy Owl

21 hours ago, Chibi8535 said:

Really? I thought the K-ban in C-ent is indefinite, which means I will never get to watch the c-dramas with LJS, PMY and JCW T_T

@Chibi8535, Kpop was banned for 18 months in China but the restriction was lifted some years ago.  Korean dramas are back on TV and K-pop songs are being promoted on Chinese streaming services. Imports of Korean films are still not possible, though. At least, relations were restored somehow. :kitty:

Archived