[Mainland Chinese Movie 2020-2021] The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity 晴雅集

SC2019

Overview

The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity (Chinese: 晴雅集) is a 2020 Chinese fantasy film directed by Guo Jingming, starring Mark Chao and Deng Lun. It is adapted from the Onmyōji (novel series) written by Baku Yumemakura. It was filmed in year 2018 and was released in China on 25 December 2020 (but pulled off the cinemas not long after due to some issues regarding plagiarism by the director more than a decade ago). Streaming rights were purchased by Netflix before the film's theatrical release and is available on Netflix.

The film adaptation is set in a mystical fantasy world where humans and supernatural beings co-exist together. It tells the story of how cosmologist Qing Ming and his friend Bo Ya, who he met whilst taking part in celestial rituals up in heaven, crack baffling and weird cases together. In their many adventures, the pair uncover a century-old secret and ends up saving humanity.

spacer.png

Credit: Wikipedia and MyDramaList

Credit: Netflix

My thoughts....

I've been waiting for this, to see two of the actors that I favoured from their previous works. Every Chinese New Year (when I was younger), a visit to the cinema was a must and a must see would be a wacky HK-produced movie. More than a decade has passed since I have continued with this tradition and being able to watch this movie during the CNY period gave me immense pleasure and a feeling of nostalgia, more so, watching the duo in action. 

This movie has a sequel - Long Ye Qu - which has already been filmed but no news of the release date, so far. Apparently this movie and its sequel took eight months to shoot and was done so in one go. Deng Lun apparently stayed away from drinking water for a few days (three reportedly) to ensure that he was dehydrated and that his muscles would look more pronounced. [Hats off to him for being such a perfectionist to his trade.]

Spoiler

The relationship of good friends between the characters played by Mark Chao (Qing Ming) and Deng Lun (Bo Ya) borders on BL, though it's all done in good taste. I liked the way Bo Ya lit the way for Qing Ming home with his trusty bow and arrow, and the tone of voice everytime Qing Ming spoke to him sent me the familiar vibes of a lover, not just a friend. The ending certainly paves the way for the sequel, Long Ye Qu and I can't wait to see what her (Long Ye's) story is all about. I hope you all enjoyed the movie as much as I did!

• Like 2

Thanks for creating this page @SC2019! Good to see you again! Happy CNY!

I've just watched it and I couldn't believe it was superb! Simply beyond my expectations! I used to look forward to HK released movies for CNY, but that was some 10 over years back. There weren't many good quality productions around honestly. Just tired and bored with slapstick comedies with almost similar story lines. However this is truly refreshing! It took my breath away just looking at our eye candies Deng Lun and Mark Chao. 

Btw, I didn't really catch some parts of the story. Who owns the Hair Demon? Why did Master Hongruo died whereas Princess Chang Ping and Master Long Ye survived? When they were all strangled by it :neutral:

Here's the link to the OST sung by Deng Lun. Enjoy!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

Thanks for creating this page @SC2019! Good to see you again! Happy CNY!

Btw, I didn't really catch some parts of the story. Who owns the Hair Demon? Why did Master Hongruo died whereas Princess Chang Ping and Master Long Ye survived? When they were all strangled by it :neutral:

Happy CNY to you too! That part is a bit of a puzzle - I suspect He Shou Ye created a replica of her and faked her death by getting the Hair Demon to kill her. So that He Shou Ye could prepare for the real princess to give birth to the snake? As for Long Ye, I think that tale is to be told in the sequel :blush:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

Happy CNY to you too! That part is a bit of a puzzle - I suspect He Shou Ye created a replica of her and faked her death by getting the Hair Demon to kill her. So that He Shou Ye could prepare for the real princess to give birth to the snake? As for Long Ye, I think that tale is to be told in the sequel :blush:

Alright! Think I'm going to binge on a rewatch! Cant get enough of them :fullofhearts:

I saw this film a week ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The acting, plot, and production was all good. So many of the recent Chinese fantasy film have been disappointments so I went in only with half expectations but this is one of the best in recent years. Mark is always incredible and DL was also great in this one. I will probably rewatch it down the line. 

• Like 1

@Yinye I think anything with Mark Chao and Deng Lun can't be that bad. I was surprised at how young-looking the director was. Despite his youth, the show doesn't lack in that aspect and the CGI is quite believable (though for people who don't like special effects, like my other half, will find the show somewhat unrealistic). A round of applause to everyone and such a treat to watch these two actors, side-by-side. Just feel bad that they couldn't earn from the Chinese box office and am hoping the movie makes some money from other countries. I rewatched the second-half today and must say Olivia Wang who acted as the Princess is darn good too, her agony and sorrow was well portrayed. 

• Like 1

@SC2019 I agree that our ‘villain’ couple was also very good. They, especially Olivia, added depth to the role. I watched all of Mark’s recent Detective Dee films and didn’t like them all that much. It’s not because of him but the overall story and the way it was told has been done to death before and too much CGI. I do love his acting but those films weren’t so great. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@Wuzetian the song titles in Chinese are the same....though in English one is Tomb and one is Grave....

I suspect you are right, it's probably the same song. Not sure if they bought the rights to re-sing it?

That's really weird. So much so when the director himself is into hot water lately for plagiarism issues. For the movie they hired all the best teams to work, but not composing an original soundtrack? Hmm...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I have a friend who got 2nd lead syndrome after watching this and looked for him in another drama. :w00t:

Heard he's awesome in Bloody Romance. Apparently he got more screen time than the ML :wink: But the drama didnt have good ending or something, that's why I didnt watch. Been binging on his FMV Bloody Romance character Gong Zi with Wan Mei :D

• Like 1