My Ultimate Oppa - Part 2 (Ahjussi edition) <3

partyon

Poll: My Ultimate Oppa (Ahjussi, Super Ahjussi, Grandpa Oppa)  

77 members have voted

1. 1. My Ultimate AHJUSSI Oppa (choose up to 4)

• Won Bin (The Man From Nowhere, Autumn in My Heart)
    • Choi Won Young (SKY Castle, My Dangerous Wife)
    • Lim Ju Hwan (The Spies Who Loved Me, Oh My Ghost)
    • Sung Hoon (Level Up, My Secret Romance)
    • Kim Nam Gil (The Fiery Priest, Live Up To Your Name)
    • Kim Tae Hoon (My Unfamiliar Family, Secret Boutique)
    • Lee Sun Kyun (My Mister, Parasite)
    • Kwon Sang Woo (Delayed Justice, Queen of Mystery 1 and 2)
    • Lee Dong Gun (Queen for Seven Days, The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop)
    • Lee Jin Wook (Goodbye Mr. Black, Voice 2 and 3)
    • Oh Ji Ho (Liver or Die, Never Twice)
    • Shin Ha Kyun (Mr Baek, Pied Piper)
    • Yeon Jung Hoon (Lies of Lies, Mask)
    • Jo Dong Hyuk (Rugal, The Last Empress)
    • Shim Hyung Tak (Touch Your Heart, Melting Me Softly)
    • Bae Soo Bin (Graceful Friends, Secret (Love))
    • Kim Ji Hoon (Flower of Evil, Come! Jang Bo Ri)
    • Jang Seung Jo (The Good Detective, Encounter)
    • Yoo Ji Tae (Mad Dog, The Good Wife)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. My Ultimate SUPER AHJUSSI Oppa (choose up to 4)

• Keanu Reeves (Matrix, Speed, John Wick)
    • Cha In Pyo (The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop, Endless Love)
    • Yoo Jun Sang (The Uncanny Counter, Graceful Friends)
    • Kim Won Hae (Strong Woman Do Bong Soon, Signal)
    • Sung Dong Il (Reply series, The Legend of the Blue Seas)
    • Kang Shin Il (Descendants of the Sun, Nobody Knows)
    • Kim Kwang Kyu (Pinocchio, Hospital Ship)
    • Ahn Nae Sang (Royal Secret Agent, Hi Bye Mama)
    • Kim Tae Woo (Mr. Queen, The Spies Who Loved Me)
    • Lee Byung Hun (Mr. Sunshine, IRIS)
    • Park Sung Woong (Remember: War of Son, Rugal)
    • Ji Jin Hee (Misty, Second to Last Love)
    • Hwang Jung Min (Hush, The Wailing)
    • Jo Hee Bong (Oh My Baby, Tunnel)
    • Eom Hyo Seop (Start-Up, Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol)
    • Kim Min Sang (Rugal, Queen of Mystery 2)
    • Lee Byung Joon (Secret Garden, Backstreet Rookie)
    • Lee Kyoung Young (The World of the Married, Hyena)
    • Cheon Ho Jin (Good Doctor, Once Again)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. My Ultimate GRANDPA oppa (choose up to 4)

• Lee Soon Jae (Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, Money Flower)
    • Yoon Joo Sang (The Uncanny Counter, Doctor John)
    • Shin Goo (Kairos, My Mister)
    • Jeon Gook Hwan (Crash Landing on You, Empress Ki)
    • Lee Do Kyung (Hyena, Voice)
    • Kim Ki Cheon (It's Okay To Not Be Okay, Kkondae Intern)
    • Park Young Gyu (Run On, Good Manager)
    • Kim Chang Wan (Jugglers, It's Okay To Not Be Okay)
    • Jang Gwang (A Korean Odyssey, Oh My Baby)
    • Jung In Gi (The Fiery Priest, Doctor John)
    • Kim Kap Soo (The K2, Hospital Playlist)
    • Choi Jung Woo (The Legend of the Blue Sea, Alice)
    • Jang Yong (My Husband Got A Family, Miss Korea)
    • Baek Il Seob (Goddess of Marriage, Ojakgyo Family)
    • Byun Hee Bong (Madame Antoine, Pinocchio)
    • Lee Deok Hwa (Secret(Love), The Good Witch)
    • Kim Yong Gun (Marriage Contract, Kill Me, Heal Me)
    • Yoo Dong Geun (What Happens to My Family, Marry Me Now)
    • Kim Young Chul (Innocent Man, Criminal Minds)
    • None of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/2021 at 02:00 PM

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

@partyon

Only Keanu!

Go for it chingu!
:wow1:

5 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

I only noticed him in "high society". in this drama, I paid more attention to that tofu they kept making! :lol:

I liked the brother bonding between the weird boss and his new stepbrother. that was amusing.

LOL - you and I focused on separate parts of the story. I really didn't pay much attention to the brother and his wife :joy: Or the tofu.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

how has no one voted yet for shim hyung tak? think we need promo -- wasn't he favourite of @Ameera Ali in some cheating drama where he got slapped a lot? or was this some other drama I am thinking of? maybe he showed off those abs or just looked in a suit? hahahaha....

No love for Lee Dong Gun either.... :D

_WLptGxtjFKzB9hP7H1VoepTTyVzShBjuTmSzZ0Q

I am wondering if his messy love life is a reason for the lack of votes....

Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

Thanks to whoever thought to put this together - I think it's about time we gave these veteran actors their chance in the spotlight :yay: 

For me, one of the drawbacks of the "Oppa" culture is just how much it veers young towards the teenage heart throbs. And there's nothing wrong with that (I have a long list of these younger biases myself). But let's be honest: those of us with younger biases or oppas are probably hoping that someday, 10 or 20 years from now, they'd still be relevant as the older generation of veterans in the dramas of tomorrow ;) 

This time, I generally focused on actors who I've known for their versatility: where I've seen them in a gazillion different roles (big and small) and have wound up impressed every single time.

So, here's my quick vote summary:

Ahjussi Oppas

Choi Won Young - I don't know if I've seen him many times in the past without realizing it, but he first caught my eye in Hwarang as the main leads' father, where I was impressed by his performance as this really complex character. And then, shortly afterwards, Alice came out and I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it, but...dang!!! His performance was one of the best in the entire cast, in my opinion - and it was a solid cast, so.... ;) 

Kim Tae Hoon - I've seen in way more cameos than I can count, but I've also been consistently blown away by his more major roles. When I think of him as an actor, I think of diversity: from the villainous lawyer in Innocent Man to the even more messed-up prosecutor in Bad Guys, to playing a paraplegic in My Beloved Eun Dong (while also giving me major Second Lead Syndrome, by the way), to finally playing one of K-drama's rare queer male leads in My Unfamiliar Family. Personally, I think he's the sort of actor who always looks for a challenge and then proceeds to absolutely nail it (which, to be fair, is what I want for my main oppa bias in the future ;))

(Also, although I didn't end up voting for him, just want to give a quick shout-out to Kim Tae Hoon's real-life hyung: Kim Tae Woo. No idea what on earth happened in this family to end up with two brothers on this list, but yep, seriously impressed.)

Lee Sun Kyun - I'm probably one of the few people here who hasn't watched Parasite (I know - blasphemy), but I will say that he really blew me away in both My Ahjussi and This Week, My Wife will be Having an Affair. If you know anything about these two roles (both of which involved a cuckolded husband, now that I think about it), you'll know what I mean when I say he's got range.

Yoo Ji Tae - I will say I haven't watched his more recent projects yet (Mad DogThe Good Wife, etc.), but I will say that I was impressed with his hyung/mentor second lead role in Healer. This is also the actor I chose who I could say I've seen when he was still relatively green: in Star's Lover.

Super Ahjussi Oppas - i.e. the toughest list for me to narrow down :P What can I say? They're all so damn good!

Sung Dong Il - I generally just love him as the ahjussi or father who's rough on the outside but a total cinnamon roll on the inside (e.g. Reply 1988Live, etc.) Plus, on a really random note, his smile reminds me of a kitty cat's, so.... :P 

Ahn Nae Sang - For him, it's again about all-around versatility and range. My first experiences with him were in Level 7 Civil Servant (which, despite being a generally mediocre drama with flatly written characters, did give him great opportunities to flesh out his role into something more three-dimensional) and Sungkyunkwan Scandal, but I've seen him in a gazillion different roles since then :) 

Jo Hee Bong - He's not an "Oppa" type for me in any sense of the term, but again, he's a really versatile actor whom I've seen way more times than I could count ;) 

Cheon Ho Jin - Okay, he wins this category for me, hands down. I've seen him as the heartwarming father/mentor figure (Good Doctor), the conflicted father who's made bad choices but is just trying his best for his kids (My Daugher SeoyoungHouse of Bluebird) and the cunningly terrifying villain you just love to hate (GaksitalDoctor Stranger) - and each time, he manages to bring something different to the character :) 

Grandpa Oppas - lol Never thought I'd use that phrase in my life.

Jeon Gook Hwan - In terms of the veteran actors, I do think he does get typecast now as the "big bad CEO" in a number of dramas I've seen. However, whenever he does show up in that role, I am impressed, so....

Kim Chang Wan - He's one of the first veteran actors who caught my eye when he played the lawyer in My Love from the Stars, and there's been no real going back for me since.

Jang Gwang - Again, like with Jeon Gook Hwan, this is more because I've seen him literally everywhere in villainous roles, so I know to expect good things when he shows up on screen.

Kim Kap Soo - This is another case where a change in genre/character type just caught me completely off guard. I first saw him in Secret of Birth and All About My Mom, so I got used to seeing him play various shades of the good guy - and then I watched K2 and Whisper and dang! Didn't think he'd nail villainous roles so well, but he did!

By the way, maybe it's because I'm not nearly as active in the polls here as some of you, but what's all this about Keanu Reeves? Like, he's a great actor and all, but I'm confused as to where the joke is....

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

By the way, maybe it's because I'm not nearly as active in the polls here as some of you, but what's all this about Keanu Reeves? Like, he's a great actor and all, but I'm confused as to where the joke is....

LOL :D  So in the last My Ultimate Oppa poll I told everyone that my Ultimate Oppa is and has always been Keanu Reeves. Some people asked why Keanu Reeves wasn't included in the poll, and I promised them to include him in the next My Ultimate Oppa Poll.

Chicago Fire Nbc GIF by One Chicago

10 hours ago, Lmangla said:

I only noticed him in "high society". in this drama, I paid more attention to that tofu they kept making! :lol:

I liked the brother bonding between the weird boss and his new stepbrother. that was amusing.

The really corny side story was the woman who demanded he married her because she had been corresponding with his friend who used Park's name. 

He was so helpless and his family was not on his side, on top of that he fell in love with her. :Megalol:

@partyon Lee Dong Gun's last show The Tailor etc. was wildly popular but I found it so boring and said so in the thread and I had to beat a hasty retreat ... :D He is not a favourite.

Same thing with Secret Romance, the ML is in the oppa list.

I found it so corny that a guy became a cold work machine after  dropping his pants for the FL in a car and lost her. Again, it was wildly popular, both in Korea and Soompi.

Now I am in sync with Korean audiences, homemade livestory is very popular there but it is almost dead on Soompi. I love the show.

13 hours ago, partyon said:

No love for Lee Dong Gun either.... :D

OMO! NOOOOOOOO! He is loved. A lot! So many oppas but only 4 choices per sect, you see. :heart3:

lol Is there a poss to change? Or vote again? :brokenheart:I feel bad for LDG. He's one of my faves!:approves: And I love his RL wifey as well.

On the other hand, even though I love.love.love KR too, I think he's kinda out of place here among all the K-oppas. (Sorry KR, sorry chingudeul, no offense meant :heart2:)

Image result for leedonggun gif Oppa, don't...  :loolz:

Thanks for the poll.  This one was not as stressful as the favorite oppa poll :lol:The only one I really like is Ji Jin Hee although not the best picture of him.  In fact, I didn't recognize him.  I liked him a lot in Designated Survivor.  If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.  

4 hours ago, wolfgal said:

On the other hand, even though I love.love.love KR too, I think he's kinda out of place here among all the K-oppas. (Sorry KR, sorry chingudeul, no offense meant )

Oppa, don't... 

3cXfk6lJMI0j0Bl3EPacJLSkBtUskH0I2r7SHeNm

LOL :D

Yes, Keanu oppa is a little out of place among the k-oppas, but he is only making a special appearance on Soompi Forums. Many people requested for him to be included in this poll, and as you can see, he is leading :D 

200.gif

He's adorbs, no? :wub:

On 2/5/2021 at 2:46 PM, Lmangla said:

this is such a hard list to choose -- why do I have so many super ajusshi oppas and grandpa oppas? bwahahhahah.... :joy: my grandpa oppa list is going to be hard to narrow because I love many of these actors even when I don't know their names. even when they are playing villain, they are so much entertaining to watch.

sharing some of my favs who are not part of the list! :P 

if you have not seen the weekend drama "my perfect sons" / "sons of sol pharmacy" -- please do! it is hilarious, heart warming and has some of the funniest couplings. ji chang wook got his break and started getting more well-known after this drama. he is such a baby in that drama! hahahahha... sharing some of the ajusshis from that drama.

Son Hyun Joo -- age 55

played the eldest brother (middle blue tracksuit) saw him in so many dramas I initially started watching. he always brings a warmth, a seriousness and a sense of humour to his roles. awww.

Lee Pil Mo - age 46

he played the second brother (middle with doggy t-shirt) and was hilariously funny. he can make immature men look awkwardly endearing.

Han Sang Jin - age 43

played the third brother (left, checked shirt and suit) some of his other dramas, he displayed a more serious melodramatic kind of vibe but in sol pharmacy, his comic timing was hilarious.

how you can beat such hilarious expression? :joy: someone tell me that you have seen this drama and love it as much as I do! hahahahahah...

@Lmanglaof course, I voted for Wonbin! For #2, I only voted (2), Cha In Pyo & Lee Byung Hun....while for #3, it's none of the above for me since I'm not familiar with the names - hahaha - sorry.

My ultimate gentleman oppa Ji Jin Hee Ao5lAZF.gif

5lZwnGg.jpg

k0l0PzD.gif

@partyon

Waaa My forgotten crush Keanu Reeves, Neo :what!:   :highonflowers:

Thank you chingu  :blush:   What a combination!!  Keanu+kdrama+soompi ‘My Ultimate SUPER AHJUSSI Oppa’  lol  Life is indeed such delightfully mysterious haha   b6re5Ng.gif
** I found that there will be Matrix 4 (2021)  

QVKzcTn.gif

On 2/6/2021 at 12:56 AM, partyon said:

He's adorbs, no? :wub:

No. :hahah!: I mean, NO doubt about it! :takemymoney:

On 2/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, booha said:

** I found that there will be Matrix 4 (2021)  

Waiting... Hope it will materialize this year and will be better than all the rest!:partyblob:

Archived