APPLE TV + DRAMA 2021

DR. BRAIN

Dr_Brain-trailerSM1.jpg

Drama: Dr Brain/ also know as Mr Robin (미스터 로빈) / AlphaRomeo

Hangul: Dr.브레인

Genre: mystery, thriller

Network: Apple TV+

Episodes: 6

Director: Kim Jee-Woon (Age of Shadow, Illang: The Wolf Brigade)

Writer: Writer Hong (webcomic), Jo Jae-Hong

Release Date: November 4, 2021

Runtime:Thursday

Production Company:YG Studioplex

OST:

Official site:

Plot

Drama 'Mr. Robin' based on a webtoon Doctor Brain, a mystery thriller that depicts what a genius brain scientist encounters while assessing dead person's brain.

When Lee Se-Won (Lee Sun Kyun) was a child, his mother died in a hit and run accident. He decided afterwards to become a brain scientist. He is a genius and he remembers everything he sees. 20 years after his mother's death, Lee Se-Won has become a famous Ph.D scientist in the brain science field. One day, a mysterious person contacts him and asks him to extract information from the brain of a man who committed suicide. Lee Se-Won is interested and accepts the proposal. He attempts to extract information from the dead man's brain, but fails. A couple of days later, he finds himself behaving differently and seeing things differently. Lee Se-Won looks into the dead man's case.  (Asianwiki)

Cast

Lee Sun Kyun as Lee Se-Won

Lee Yoo Young as Jung Jae-yi

Park Hee Soon as Lee Kang Moo
Lee Jae Won as Hong Nam Il

Seo Ji Hye as Lt Cheo

Yoo Teo - support role

Son Seok Ku - support role

Uhm Tae-goo - guest role

Character descriptions

Jung Jae-yi is a researcher at a cognitive rehabilitation center, she is a person who has pain of smiling brightly to be loved.

Teasers/Trailers

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 5

Actor Sohn Seok-gu joins the new drama'Alpha Romeo'. On the 18th, TV Daily reported, "Son Seok-gu joins Apple TV Plus's new drama'Alpha Romeo' (formerly'Mr. Robin'), and is two-top breathing with Lee Sun-gyun."

son_seok_gu_975766.jpg

http://img.stoo.com/upimages/gisaimg/202101/1610945970_20190701143539-605.jpg

'Alpha Romeo' is a work based on the webtoon'Doctor Brain', and is a medical mystery thriller that depicts what a genius brain scientist encounters while accessing the brain of a dead person. Director Kim Ji-woon, who directed the movies'Sweet Life','Inrang','Secret', and'Saw the Devil', is raising expectations from before broadcasting.

'Alpha Romeo' is a six-part drama and is scheduled to be filmed for the first time in the first half of this year.

Yoo Tae-oh and Kim Ji-woon join director'Mr. Robin'... Breathing with Lee Sun-gyun

2021011908350568762_1.jpg

Actor Yoo Tae-oh joins the drama presented by director Kim Ji-woon on Apple TV Plus.

According to the film industry on the 19th, Yoo Tae-oh recently decided to appear in “Mr. Robin” (tentative title) directed by Kim Ji-woon and is adjusting the details. 'Mr. Robin' is a work based on the webtoon'Doctor Brain'. It is a medical mystery thriller that describes what a genius brain scientist encounters while accessing a dead person's brain.

Director Kim Ji-woon decided to direct the drama'Doctor Brain' a few years ago, but the production was not in progress, and from last year, the preparation work began in earnest. YG Studioplex participates in the production. Director Kim Ji-woon originally planned to direct the French drama'Klaus 47' after'Inrang', but it is said that he turned to'Mr. Robin' due to various circumstances.

“Mr. Robin” is being considered a gauze such as “Doctor Brain” and “Alpha Romeo”, and is planned as a six-part series. Previously, Lee Seon-gyun confirmed the appearance as the main character. Yoo Tae-oh is going to meet with Lee Sun-gyun in a drama. After appearing in the Netflix original series “Health Teacher Eun-young Ahn” and “New Year's Eve” ahead of the release, Yoo Tae-o is expanding his field of activity.

'Mr. Robin' is the first series directed by Kim Ji-woon, who directed'Sweet Life' and'The Good Guy, the Bad Guy, and the Strange Guy'. Is attracting attention. It is said that Apple is putting strict confidentiality provisions on the related parties regarding “Mr. Robin,” and is working hard on security.

https://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2021011908350568762&VNS&pDepth=news&pDepth1=issue&pDepth2=exclusive

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

18 hours ago, larus said:

It is said that Apple is putting strict confidentiality provisions on the related parties regarding “Mr. Robin,” and is working hard on security.

Thank you @larus for creating this thread. I really wonder what they mean by "confidentiality provisions."  

Here's a link to the webtoon if anyone wants to take a peek: https://page.kakao.com/home?seriesId=49214012&page=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you @larus for creating this thread. I really wonder what they mean by "confidentiality provisions."  

The Google translations is tricky and sometimes laughable. I don`t know what it is. What I conclude is that they don`t want to reveal too much about this production. Maybe there is a secrecy about the script. But I can`t be sure. :D

I really like the cast. I am not sure about the plot. It could be interesting. I remember an old US Sci fi series VR5, where the protagonist utilizes virtual reality technology to explore the different subconscious minds of other people. People were not dead but perphaps it is the same concept? We`ll see.

I took a peek on the webton but I couldn`t understand a thing. :lol:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, larus said:

The Google translations is tricky and sometimes laughable. I don`t know what it is. What I conclude is that they don`t want to reveal too much about this production. Maybe there is a secrecy about the script. But I can`t be sure. :D

Now my curiosity is piqued to the 9th degree. Can't wait for the cast to confirm (has anyone confirmed?) and can't wait to hear a little bit more about any aspect of this production. 

Here's a tiny bit of info on Lee Yoo Young's character. It sounds quite generic (candy type) to me. :lol:

https://zapzee.net/2020/11/27/lee-yoo-young-to-join-parasite-actor-lee-sun-kyun-in-apple-tvs-new-series-mr-robin/

Lee Yoo Young to Join ‘Parasite’ Actor Lee Sun Kyun in Apple TV’s New Series’ Mr. Robin’

0000740246_001_20170601181628405-crop.jp 

According to a media outlet, Lee Yoo Young has been cast to play one of the female leads in director Kim Jo Woon’s new project Mr. Robin.

Lee Yoo Young will play Jung Jae Yi, a former researcher at the B.C. Foundation’s Rehabilitation Center. As a person who had to smile and pretend to be bright to be loved, she became a person who has both hatred and love for her family.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Now my curiosity is piqued to the 9th degree. Can't wait for the cast to confirm (has anyone confirmed?) and can't wait to hear a little bit more about any aspect of this production. 

I think they are confirmed. But I am sure we`ll hear about official confirmation news later as well. Sometimes they are releasing casting news after the drama finished filming and approach the airing date or when they are already shooting the drama. :D I hope we`ll hear more informations about every characters. I wonder if there is a case in each episode or the same case is developed in the entire 6 episodes.

Thanks for the information about the female protagonist.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally we get some exciting news!

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dr-brain-live-action-tv-series-apple-1234921151/

‘Dr. Brain’ Korean Webtoon to Get Live-Action TV Series Adaptation at Apple

By Joe Otterson

Dr Brain

Apple has ordered a live-action series adaptation of the Korean webtoon “Dr. Brain.” The series will be the first completely Korean-language project at the streamer.

Kim Jee-Woon will write and direct, with “Parasite” star Lee Sun-Kyun set to star. The series is currently in production in South Korea and is slated to debut later this year.

“Dr. Brain” is an follows a brain scientist who is obsessive about figuring out new technologies to access the consciousness and memories of the brain. His life goes sideways when his family falls victim to a mysterious accident, and he uses his skills to access memories from his wife’s brain to piece together the mystery of what actually happened to his family and why.

Kim serves as an executive producer in addition to writing and directing. Samuel Yeunju Ha, who executive produced Kim’s film “Illang: The Wolf Brigade,” will also executive produce the series. Ham Jung Yeub and Daniel Han executive produce for Studioplex, with Joy Jinsoo Lee and Min Young Hong executive producing for Kakao Entertainment. Bound Entertainment will produce along with Kakao Entertainment, Studioplex and Dark Circle Pictures.

UTA brokered the deal on behalf of Bound Entertainment, with the studio recently signing with UTA in all areas.

Apple previously announced a series adaptation of the Lee Min Jin novel “Pachinko,” with that show set to feature Korean, Japanese, and English dialogue. The story begins with a forbidden love and moves into a saga that journeys between Korea, Japan and America to tell the story of war and peace, love and loss, triumph and reckoning. Lee Min Ho was among six cast members announced for the series back in October.

• Like 4

Hi @SexyDolceVita and @janeozten

It looks like this drama has begun filming. I had been afraid this was going to be a dry CSI-type drama with the doctor solving a different case each episode by accessing the brains of his patients. The latest synopsis made me breathe a sigh of relief. I  can't wait to see an angsty Lee Sun Kyun again. No one does "emotional" as well as he, IMHO. :)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/03/apple-signs-order-for-dr-brain-based-on-popular-korean-webtoon

The series is described as "an emotional journey that follows a brain scientist who is obsessive about figuring out new technologies to access the consciousness and memories of the brain."

"His life goes sideways when his family falls victim to a mysterious accident, and he uses his skills to access memories from his wife's brain to piece together the mystery of what actually happened to his family and why," the description reads.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, janeozten said:

@sadiesmith, thank you for the info. 
This is a dream ensemble of actors.

I am just excited as you are.

Hopefully we get to have more info in the coming days.

Since it is an Apple production, do we have to pay premium to be able to watch it?

I have no idea how to watch an Apple+ show. But trust me, I will pay to watch this. haha... I am impressed this cast gets to be the first from Korea to do this with Apple TV. I hope it's a successful venture.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I have no idea how to watch an Apple+ show. But trust me, I will pay to watch this. haha... I am impressed this cast gets to be the first from Korea to do this with Apple TV. I hope it's a successful venture.

Thank You.

We will get to know more info about the drama hopefully soon

Did they already have their script reading? 

• Like 3

On 3/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, SexyDolceVita said:

I think sjh will play the female detective role...

@SexyDolceVita I think Lee Yoo Young will be the one playing the female detective per her character description below. Maybe SJH will play the wife? Even though I imagine she is dead for most of the series, there will be a lot of flashback scenes as the doctor accesses her memories through her brain?

On 1/21/2021 at 1:11 AM, sadiesmith said:

Lee Yoo Young will play Jung Jae Yi, a former researcher at the B.C. Foundation’s Rehabilitation Center. As a person who had to smile and pretend to be bright to be loved, she became a person who has both hatred and love for her family.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

@SexyDolceVita I think Lee Yoo Young will be the one playing the female detective per her character description below. Maybe SJH will play the wife? Even though I imagine she is dead for most of the series, there will be a lot of flashback scenes as the doctor accesses her memories through her brain?

Pardon me, but need to clarify this.

Former researcher is not female detective role.

You do understand the difference between researcher and detective? I dont know how you can link former researcher to female detective based on that very specific character description.

A researcher works in the rehabilitation centre, while a detective works in the police force.

They are two completely different professions.

Dont tell me you were thinking the former researcher became a police detective after quitting the rehabilitation centre?

Hmm....i really think unlikely.

If so, why dont they just say Lee is playing a police detective then?

The female detective plays an important role in the original webtoon.

I do hope they didnt cut that character out.

Sjh playing dead wife is a possibility but i really hope she gets the female detective role...who is smart, sexy, cool...

It is 6 episodes only and dead wife appearing in flash backs doesnt seem very meaty...

I dont know but when i looked at the webtoon, the two main roles are the male lead who kept screwing his brain by connecting to brains of dead pple and even a dead cat???(yup), and the female detective. And of course there are some bad pple too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SexyDolceVita said:

Pardon me, but need to clarify this.

Former researcher is not female detective role.

You do understand the difference between researcher and detective? I dont know how you can link former researcher to female detective based on that very specific character description.

Oops! Sorry about that. You're right that a researcher and a detective don't mean the same thing. My mind merged the two roles automatically. But if the original source does have these two female characters permanently featured, then yeah, SJH might be playing the detective. I can certainly see how that role is a great fit for her. 

2 hours ago, SexyDolceVita said:

I dont know but when i looked at the webtoon, the two main roles are the male lead who kept screwing his brain by connecting to brains of dead pple and even a dead cat???(yup), and the female detective. And of course there are some bad pple too.

I don't know why this summary made me laugh. Sounds so "screwy." 

• Like 3