larus

Here's an interview (Italian source) that serves some new information, including the original location of the story and possibility of a second season. 

https://www.badtaste.it/tv/interviste/dr-brain-lee-sun-kyun-ho-avuto-qualche-problema-a-capire-cosa-prova-una-persona-senza-emozioni/

Sewon's character is very particular because he doesn't feel emotions and the story is full of scientific elements and continuous twists. What was the most complicated aspect in approaching the narration and creation of the protagonist?

After meeting Kim, our director, and reading the script of the first episode, one of the most complicated elements was the presence of a lot of scientific terms that I had to clarify. The fact that Sewon doesn't feel emotions then made it difficult for me to outline the character: I couldn't really understand how a person with that characteristic thinks, behaves, reacts to situations. However, after talking to the director, I realized that the series is not about not feeling emotion, but rather about trying to solve a mystery. We focused on how the protagonist evolves over the course of the story, without trying to explain too much of his lack of emotion.

The series appears to have the potential to span multiple seasons. Have you already talked about a possible return to the set and what could happen in the future in the story?

We didn't talk about it in detail, but we broached the subject during filming. It would be nice to get renewed for a second season. However, we haven't already thought of a precise direction for the story, or decided what might happen. The first season is not yet available in its entirety on Apple TV +, I am very curious to find out how viewers will react and what they will think of Sewon . If there is a second season it could be really open to various interpretations and explore other genres, being a mix of atmospheres and types of stories. I would be very curious to find out what would happen, I hope there is an opportunity to make it happen.

Dr. Brain is the first original Apple series produced in Korea, how do you think it will be received by viewers from the rest of the world considering also the success of projects like Parasite and Squid Game ?

I don't think there will be any problems because the series has an international approach. The television project does not offer many links to Korean culture and the original webtoon was set in America, so viewers from all over the world will be able to understand and appreciate every aspect of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

‘Parasite’ star on his show ‘Dr. Brain’ and why America loves Korean drama

By

drbrain.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=744
Lee Sun-Kyun stars as a scientist who develops a way to sync brains and view other people's memories in Apple TV's first Korean show, "Dr. Brain."

Lee Sun-kyun, who appeared in 2019 Oscar winner “Parasite” and now stars in Apple’s first Korean show, “Dr. Brain,” said he’s not surprised that the world is embracing Korean drama right now.

“Recently with the rise of [boy band sensation] BTS and the show ‘Squid Game’ and film ‘Parasite,’ this really sparked the curiosity and the global audience for Korean culture,” Sun-kyun, 46, told The Post through a translator. 

“There are many platforms that provide easy access to Korean content, so I think it seems fresh and new to people who haven’t been acquainted with the culture — and we have common grounds despite the differences. And now Korean creators know that their content will be shown to the global audience, they feel more pressure to really live up to those standards. So, I think it’s a virtuous cycle.”

Dr_Brain_Photo_010206.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Lee Sun-kyun stars as an obsessed scientist in “Dr. Brain,” AppleTV’s first Korean show.

Now streaming on AppleTV+ (new episodes premiere each Friday), “Dr. Brain” (which is in Korean with English subtitles) is a sci-fil thriller about Sewon Koh, (Sun-kyun), a brain scientist with an unspecified neural condition who experiences a tragedy when he loses his family in a mysterious accident. He tries to probe into what happened  by developing a process to do “brain syncs” with the deceased — in order to comb through their memories and search for clues. 

Soon, however, he begins losing sense of his own memories and sense of self as he starts taking on traits of people he syncs his brain to. Along the way, he’s helped by a police officer, Lt. Choi (Seo Ji-hye).

Spoiler

ATV_Dr_Brain_Photo_010102.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Lee Sun-kyon as Sewon, a doctor who develops a technology to “sync” minds and memories, in “Dr. Brain.”

“Sewon is a character who doesn’t feel emotions or empathize with others [because of his unlabeled condition]. But through these brain scan technologies, he finally understands the emotions that people feel, and he finally understands love for his family. So, I think it’s also a coming-of-age story for Sewon, which I really like,” said Sun-kyun. 

He wanted to get the role to work with director/screenwriter Kim Jee Woon (“A Bittersweet Life,”) who ended up providing inspiration in more than one way.

“I’m a big fan of director Kim, and the fact that this is his first series ever really caught my attention,” he said. “He’s a cool guy but doesn’t speak that much, so he reminded me of Sewon to some extent. So, he was one of the role models that I used.”

MCDPARA_EC178.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Lee Sun-kyun (left) and Cho Yeo-jeong in “Parasite.”

He said he thinks he landed the role in part because of his prominence from “Parasite,” which became the first non-English-language film to win the Oscar for Best Picture. 

“It was a total honor for me to be part of such a global hit,” he said. “It also still feels surreal to me that it was such a big hit. I think the reason I was cast in this series in the first place was part of the global fame that ‘Parasite’ brought me, but this is something that happened in the past. I don’t want to be stuck in the glory of the past, I want to go on with my life.

“So, I think of it as a really nice adventure that I had.”

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/11/12/parasite-star-on-his-show-dr-brain-and-why-america-loves-korean-drama/

• Like 4

Kim Jee Woon on the possibility of a second season. I totally want to see LSK revisit this role on the big screen without all the restrictions of a drama. 

https://www.newstomato.com/ReadNews.aspx?no=1088081

First of all, I don’t think I have the personality to do the same thing . Maybe it's because I'm curious ( laughs ). Perhaps that curiosity is the driving force that allows me to do new work at this age . Season 2 hasn't been decided yet and it might be possible ( laughs ). If that's the case, I think it would be interesting to talk about how Seon-gyun uses brain science to describe the process of chasing a criminal in each episode . And it seems that the next work will be a movie that is shown on the screen rather than a drama . That’s all I can reveal about my next project ( laughs ).”
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Kim Jee Woon on the possibility of a second season. I totally want to see LSK revisit this role on the big screen without all the restrictions of a drama. 

https://www.newstomato.com/ReadNews.aspx?no=1088081

First of all, I don’t think I have the personality to do the same thing . Maybe it's because I'm curious ( laughs ). Perhaps that curiosity is the driving force that allows me to do new work at this age . Season 2 hasn't been decided yet and it might be possible ( laughs ). If that's the case, I think it would be interesting to talk about how Seon-gyun uses brain science to describe the process of chasing a criminal in each episode . And it seems that the next work will be a movie that is shown on the screen rather than a drama . That’s all I can reveal about my next project ( laughs ).”

Since this is an Apple TV+ project, it will be really interesting to see how the prevailing American mindset, i.e. "make more seasons if a show is doing well" will jibe with the Korean mindset of "make a good show, and then the actors and PDnim/Writernim all scatter to their already-scheduled projects." So I agree with you, having a Dr Brain movie would be great and might be a simpler solution for all the K actors than fitting in a second season of the drama in between their other commitments, while maintaining momentum for Dr Brain.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed the action sequence in episode 3. I still can't connect with Sewon half way through the series but hope things will start to turn next episode. I have noticed that this show leaves long time Kdrama watchers cold yet impresses many others, based on what I see on social media. For me personally, I may have to stop thinking of this as a typical Korean drama and instead see it as a live-action webtoon, perhaps something like a super hero movie. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

For me personally, I may have to stop thinking of this as a typical Korean drama and instead see it as a live-action webtoon, perhaps something like a super hero movie. 

I think you're right. And who would've thought LSK would be turning into Cat Man? :lol:

I'm still enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would. Episode 3 was thoroughly entertaining, even if it is preposterous at times. I still don't know why the killers - and now the guy with the cane - were after Lim Junki for looking into Jaeyi. What was she/ who was she before she went into the coma? Why would they have been after Lim Junki and Lee Kangmu but not at all after Sewon?

Nice to see Sewon shed a tear when he found Hee Jin. And it was so great to see Hee Jin be found!

The picture that Hee Jin drew gave me goosebumps. Wonder what the butterfly symbolizes and how long ago she saw Do Yoon...and I assume the lady in the drawing is Jaeyi. But knowing she was mourning his death so severely makes me wonder about that.

I loved how Sewon started theorizing out loud to Lee Kangmu trying to figure out what was going on. Doing brain syncs is making him turn into an external processor, which he definitely was NOT previously, growing up with autism and all.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

More interviews, but no English subs.

Thanks, @sadiesmith!

Here's my translation (from the Spanish subtitles) of the LSK interview. I had thought I would do the other interviews, too....but these take longer than I thought.  :lol:

Victor López: I wanted to start by congratulating you for your performance because it was really awesome and it takes the whole show into a new level. It was great.

The arc of Sewon and how the management and expression of his emotions evolved is great but it seems pretty difficult to perform. So how was the adventure of giving life to the character and how did you work with Mr. Kim to prepare it?

LSK: My biggest challenge was to interpret a character that doesn’t have emotions, so I had to decide how to represent him.

How would he talk? How would he react to different stimuli? If I had interpreted him as a person 100% devoid of emotions, I believe I would have killed his charm and he wouldn’t have been sufficiently attractive to drive the plot. PDnim Kim had the same concerns, so we decided that Sewon learns to show some emotions through some social guidelines while we were faithful to the serious and somber tone of the series.

We wanted to represent him as a person lacking dopamine and who doesn’t enjoy his life very much. So I talked with PDnim a lot about this.

VL: So you have vast experience both in film and TV shows. As an actor, in which media do you feel more comfortable? Do you find [it] easier building and keeping the emotional rapport of your characters in movies? Or do you prefer playing with them for longer times in TV shows?

LSK: I don’t believe it’s about being more comfortable in series or in films. Really it depends on how the story is shot, the character, the director…But in TV shows I can focus for more time on the character and discover the points I have in common with him. When I finish filming a drama series, it’s harder for me to leave the character, because it seems he has become a big part of me after having spent so much time with him.

VL:  So for the last question, I would like to know in your opinion as an actor, what is the best advice or the best thing a director can do when directing the actors to do their best?

LSK: I believe the best is to develop a general idea of the character but to keep things simple. PDnim did this, and I much respect him for it. After the final filming, he made revisions in post-production that made the series much better. I also respect him for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thank you @the_sweetroad. This is very enjoyable to read. Did the interviewer ask his questions in Spanish or English?

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

How would he talk? How would he react to different stimuli? If I had had interpreted him as a person 100% devoid of emotions, I believe I would have killed his charm and he wouldn’t have been sufficiently attractive to drive the plot. PDnim Kim had the same concerns, so we decided that Sewon learns to show some emotions through some social guidelines while we were faithful to the serious and somber tone of the series.

I read comment on Twitter complaining about LSK's portrayal of the supposedly emotionless Koh Sewon. He said LSK did a poor job because LSK decidedly did not have a face that is without emotion, and then he showed some screencaps of Sewon. I had to admit those pictures he selected proved his points. :lol: But to be fair, LSK has said on a different occasion that instead of going completely blank, he chose to play it more like a person who is depressed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Did the interviewer ask his questions in Spanish or English?

He had very good English, so his lines above are just transcribed.

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

But to be fair, LSK has said on a different occasion that instead of going completely blank, he chose to play it more like a person who is depressed.

Yeah - I think he is pretty blank at work, but at home when he's staring out the deck window and thinking of Do Yoon playing with a ball, or when he's looking after his wife, he just seems depressed. LSK mentioned that in the interview which was new for me - they decided to play Sewon as a man lacking in dopamine who didn't enjoy life. That rings truer to depression than to a total lack of emotions. The adult Sewon doesn't seem all that autistic to me - but I might be missing something. To me, he seems more antisocial, more like Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock. Just not as talkative. Although....he's becoming more chatty. :lol:

• Like 1

Just finished ep 3!  Only 3 episodes left?  How is this all going to wrap up in 3 episodes?  I wonder how long Se Won possesses the skills and memories of those that he has mind synced?  Will he be as lithe as a cat the rest of his life or does that ability wear off?  Just when I was becoming interested in Hee Jin's drawing, the episode came to an end argh!:triumph:  I guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out for sure who the woman in the drawing is.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Chingus, it is time to get warm and cozy this winter.  We are already anticipating the next season of many of our favourite K-dramas, do take a moment to vote for your favourite K-drama with multiple seasons. Don't forget to let us know which drama you wish to see the second season of. :dorakiss:

re:  Your friendly and most favourite EO team : @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth and @confusedheart

Parasite’s Lee Sun-Kyun Reveals The Most Uncomfortable Part Of Filming Apple TV+’s Sci-Fi Thriller Dr Brain

Yes, it’s impossible not to ask about his voice.

BY DOUGLAS TSENG
22 NOV 2021 11:56

spacer.png

I struggled to stay awake during 8days.sg’s interview with Lee Sun-Kyun. 

Okay, that didn’t come out right. 

I mean no disrespect to the esteemed 46-year-old Korean actor, best known for the drama My Mister and the Oscar-garlanded Parasite — as well as his deep, sonorous, almost hypnotic voice. Even though it was only 10 minutes, it was long enough to set off the ASMR alarms. Any longer, I’d have fallen into a trance and he'd get inside my head and retrieve my Netflix password and reveal my deepest darkest desire. 

And mind-hacking happens to be to the premise of Lee’s latest series — and Apple TV Plus’ maiden Korean production — Dr Brain. Based on a popular webtoon and directed by Kim Jee-Woon (A Bittersweet LifeI Saw the Devil), the six-part sci-fi thriller follows Koh Sweon (Lee), an emotionally insular neurologist who invented a technology (called ‘the sync’) that can access the memories of in the ultimate computer, the human brain. (Wait a sec, doesn’t this sound like the recent Hugh Jackman-starring Reminiscence?) When a tragedy befalls his family and he’s blamed for it, Sweon uses his creation to catch the real perpetrators. 

Speaking from Seoul via Zoom through an interpreter, Lee says has he high hopes for Dr Brain to do well, especially after the success of Parasite (or, for that matt, in post-Squid Game world). “I wanted it to live up to people’s expectations,” he adds, “But just the fact that this will be released to a global audience is a big joy and something I really look forward to.”

8 DAYS: I read that when Director Kim was looking for someone to play Sweon, who’s been described as “dry and emotionless”, the first actor he thought of is you. Do you think people see you that way, dry and emotionless?

LEE SUN-KYUN: Actually, I think Sewon is so unlike my actual self — he doesn’t resemble me in any way. I think in my previous drama series, My Mister, I played a very dry and gloomy person, so maybe Director Kim thought of me in that persona.  

Since you say he’s very different from you, how challenging was it to play a genius who’s emotionally stunted as Sewon?

It was very difficult in the beginning because it was very hard for me for not to portray him as emotionless. If he were 100 per cent emotionless, I think it would be very tough for him to drive the narrative. So I discussed a lot with Director Kim: We wanted to keep the tone and manner of the show in a way that Sewon has learnt to express his emotions to some extent through social contacts. We wanted Sweon to be this gloomy and serious guy who doesn’t have dopamine [the brain chemical that influences moods and feelings].

Are you a science fiction fan?

I’m not a big fan of the genre, but I am a big fan of Black Mirror.

In some ways, Dr Brain is like an episode of Black Mirror, it’s about the dark side of technology. In your research playing Sewon, did you learn anything new about the human brain? Dr Jeong Jaeseung, one of Korea’s pioneering neurologists, served as a consultant on the show.

Actually, I haven’t met the doctor in person; he met with the director to adapt the webtoon. He’s a very famous doctor who has appeared on TV. When I first heard about the concept of brain syncs, I thought it was so unrealistic and didn’t really make any sense. But when I heard that with the current technology, it’s possible to use brain zaps to transfer signals between brains in the future. I am curious if it can happen but I am also scared about it at the same time. 

When the technology is available, whose brain would you like to access?

I actually don’t want to look inside anyone’s memories! (laughs)

On the show, you have to wear this EEG cap. It doesn’t look very comfortable…

Actually, it was very uncomfortable. It was quite wobbly and we had to get the height and balance right because it the balance wasn’t right, I could look pretty silly with the cap. Also, I had to lie down with the cap, which made it even more uncomfortable. It wasn’t comfortable at all! 

dr-brain-brain-cap.jpg

Brainstorm: Lee Sun-Kyun prepares to undergo a brain-sync. 

You have such a distinctive voice that many people have made impressions of you. There was a recurring gag in an episode of Vincenzo, starring Song Joong-Ki, featuring a character played by comedian Yang Seung-Won, who did an amazing mimicry of your voice. Have you seen that?

A lot of people like to do impressions of me. I heard that someone in Vincenzo also did an impression of me. I think he’s famous actually for doing impressions. I didn’t see that episode but I’ve seen him doing my impressions and other people’s in other shows.

Dr Brain is now streaming on Apple TV+.

Source: https://www.8days.sg/seeanddo/streamit/lee-sun-kyun-parasite-dr-brain-interview-apple-tv-plus-15456070

• Like 3
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Actually, it was very uncomfortable. It was quite wobbly and we had to get the height and balance right because it the balance wasn’t right, I could look pretty silly with the cap. Also, I had to lie down with the cap, which made it even more uncomfortable. It wasn’t comfortable at all! 

I really enjoyed reading the whole thing, but this part cracked me up. Unfortunately, I agree with him that he did look rather funny (ridiculous) with the cap and strap on. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Whew!!! What a ride episode 4 was. This was what I was waiting for, and I regret that it took so long to arrive. I loved all the tension expertly broken up by bits of humor, especially coming from the two rather inept policemen tasked to keep the doctor in check. Dr. Koh is finally showing some emotions even though he is unsure of himself. I loved seeing his transformation from an uninvolved father into one not afraid of a little aggression. I suspect the digging of the grave scene is a wink to A Hard Day (highly recommended, btw)? It's a backbreaking work when all you have is a shovel, so mid way through I half expected him to ask Lee Kang-mu to lend him a hand.:lol:  Is it just me or is there less "artistic" play with colors and scenes and super powers in this episode and more straightforward story-telling? It made me wonder if this was the episode led by the director supposedly hired to create the most emotional impact. 

But there were a few things I didn't like so much. I was confused with the way Dr. Hong's story got thrown into the mix. Did I miss something from an earlier episode? I also wished Dr. Koh was given more opportunities to solve the pieces of the puzzle using his genius mind (for example, his ability to notice details) instead of always doing it through the memories of the people he brain-synched with. After a while it felt a bit too convenient.

Can someone tell me why the villain with the dog tried to kill Jaeyi? And why did he stop? 

Glad the funny helmet didn't make an appearance this week. I am sad we have only two episodes left. :tears:

• Like 3