larus

7 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

The team had an online interview session with reporters from all over the world. So cool!

Thanks for posting these. I noticed a short line somewhere that they had online interviews with media yesterday but then I couldn't find anything! You are a super sleuth.

LSK just makes me smile. :)

49 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Korean dramas released worldwide through OTT are receiving a lot of attention. I want <Dr. Brain> to receive good reviews because of its high level of perfection. Since it remains as content that can be read continuously on OTT, if the work is good, like <My Mister>, which has recently gone backwards, wouldn't everyone see it someday?

Not sure about what "recently gone backwards" means, haha, but it's great he mentions MM and the attention it's receiving now. And Dr Brain is getting good reviews...it's up to 80% now on Rotten Tomatoes. Congrats to PDnim and cast and crew!

• Like 2

November 11, 2021

(Yonhap Interview) Renowned director Kim Jee-woon keeps motivated with fresh challenges

Entertainment 14:01 November 11, 2021

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Nov. 11 (Yonhap) -- Throughout the more than two decades of his filmmaking career, director Kim Jee-woon has boasted of his chameleonic cinematic talents in making genre-hybrid pieces since his directorial debut, "The Quiet Family" (1998).

Kim has chosen different eras, styles and genres, along with his signature visual storytelling based on smooth camerawork and rich set designs in the psychological horror-drama "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003), the Western action film "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" (2010), the period action thriller "The Age of Shadows" (2016) and the sci-fi action film "Illang: The Wolf Brigade" (2018).

He even went to Hollywood and directed an English language film, working with famous American star Arnold Schwarzenegger in the action thriller "The Last Stand" (2013).

spacer.png

Apple TV Screenshot_2021-11-12_at_12.30.00_AM.png

Apple TV 

spacer.png

Apple TV

This time, the 57-year old director took on a completely new challenge for his first project in three years. Instead of directing a two-hour film for a theatrical release, he took the helm of a six-episode TV series on an online streaming platform: "Dr. Brain," the first Korean-language original of Apple TV+.

"When I was younger, I thought films and TV series are quite opposite, as there were some limitations on TV for creators," Kim said in a media interview held online Wednesday. "But the situation has changed a lot, and we are facing a big new room."

Based on the popular namesake webtoon, "Dr. Brain" revolves around Sewon (Lee Sun-kyun), a genius cerebral scientist who is obsessed with figuring out new technologies to access the consciousness and memories of the brain.

After losing his family in mysterious circumstances, the cold-hearted and impassive scientist tries to link the brains of people involved in the events and collects their memories to get closer to the truth.

The prolific director said he was so impressed and excited by the brain sync in the original he thought it was the right time to cross the line drawn between film and TV.

"When I first got the offer for this project, I wanted to make a film," he said. "But to tell a deeper and richer story of the creative idea, I decided to produce a TV series."

Kim said he wanted to expand the story of the scientist's brain experiments and investigations to his emotional journey and growth as a husband and a father.

"To adapt this web comic into a six-hour TV series, I added more layers of Sewon's relationship and his efforts to fill the emotional deficiency," he said. "This process of building a longer narrative is quite different from making a film."

Still, it was not easy for the veteran film director to adjust the tight shooting schedule of a TV series in South Korea, where the so-called "live-shot" dramas had prevailed, with filming, editing and airing taking place on a real-time basis.

"In the past I had to make a two-hour film within a given time span," he said. "Now, I have the same time frame, but I have to make a six-hour series. What pressure."

And for Kim, a rookie TV production director, making the cliffhanger ending to keep an audience hooked for the next episode is also unheard of. "Dr. Brain" is released one episode at a time on a weekly basis, like a conventional TV show.

"I had to complete a full story for each episode, and at the same time, I had to focus on the last scenes of each episode to maintain the tension," he said. "Many things were different from filmmaking procedures. But it was fresh and interesting, as difficult and strange as I felt during this project."

He hoped his first TV series will contribute to the recent global boom of Korean content stemming from the Oscar-winning "Parasite," the Netflix phenomenon "Squid Game" and K-pop sensation BTS.

"All first things become worthwhile when they survive for a long time," he said. "I want to hear others saying they are curious to know more about Korean content because of 'Dr. Brain.'"

The first episode of "Dr. Brain" was unveiled last week on Apple TV+, with its next episode slated for this Saturday.

brk@yna.co.kr

(END)

Source: https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211111006000315?section=culture/entertainment#none

• Like 4

Paste Magazine has a fun review:

Dr. Brain Conducts Big Thrills with Sleek Imagery and Nimble Storytelling

By Nguyen Le

If society resembles a puzzle, Dr. Se-won (Lee Sun-kyun), the lead of the first South Korean show made for Apple TV+ (itself the lead-in to the platform’s debut in the country), is the piece that won’t fit. At work, he’s warm to his research but frozen to his peers. When he was young he saw his mother perish, but there were no screams or tears.

In lieu of emotional expressions, Se-won gives either a “fast version” or a “slow version” of the incident to others, either the sharpest Occam’s Razor-ed summary or a perfect detail-by-detail recall. It is not an everyday ability; it is a cursed blessing. It is also, even with the specter of oversimplification in depicting people on the spectrum, a functional starting point for one heady and twisty roller-coaster of a series.

Dr. Brain is an adaptation of a webtoon of the same name from Hongjacga, with Season 1 comprising of six hourlong episodes all directed and co-written by Kim Jee-woon (with Kim Jin-A, Koh Young-jae, and Lee Mu-so). Don’t fret if the unfamiliarity of South Korea’s digital comic frontier sets in; you can still get the gist of the series by seeing it as a handshake between Inception and Flatliners—or a mukbang of many narrative bites in Kim’s past works, including resonating horror, sweet action, atypical procedurals, and heated dilemmas. Re-manifesting itself most vividly here is perhaps the latter, which Kim once used as the foundation of his segment The Heavenly Creature in the 2012 sci-fi omnibus Doomsday Book. But there is no enlightened robot or an argument to either venerate or deactivate here, only a scientist with new tech that connects people’s fleshy headquarters—called “brain sync”—and the case as to whether it’s beneficial or detrimental. This new version is less religious and not as serious, though it now has more room and more time to present its stimulating points. (The Heavenly Creature didn’t have these luxuries, so in attempting to ignite neurons it could be too verbose in delivery and hasty in pacing.)

r. Brain, in using “brain sync” to frame Se-won’s pursuit of the truth about the tragedy that affected his wife Jae-yi (Lee Yoo-young) and son Do-yoon (On Jeong-si), wows with variety. It isn’t always the sci-fi thriller as promoted—at one point it’s a nightmare, at another a domestic drama, and at another an ethical debate. The switches present light-bulb moments from Kim and company, chiefly director of photography Kim Cheon-seok, composer Mowg (a frequent collaborator), and editors Yang Jin-mo and Han Mi-yeon (both from Parasite), as they relish in the idea of causing the brain to doubt its deductions. Can what is seen be believed? Is there any truth in the sounds heard? Is that minor thing really as presented, or is it just pretending to be? These questions could make the series stagnant, but Kim’s signature propulsive visual storytelling and other choice spices bring big-screen sensibilities to small-screen material. Even when the action takes a pause, Kim and the editors will introduce something new into the scene, be it a novel angle or a saturation change, to further highlight what is being spoken and prevent interest from waning. When a scene’s mobility is limited, Kim sees it less as a restriction and more a chance to make choices that are modest but still creative, recalling his theatrical beginnings.

“Modest but still creative” is also a fitting descriptor for actor Lee’s approach to embodying Se-won. It’s certainly better than “inhuman,” which is what the character’s colleagues would say—except for the kind Dr. Na-mil (Lee Jae-won). Or “insane,” which is more what the eagle-eyed Lt. Ji-un (Seo Ji-hye) would think. Or perhaps a mix between the two, which is something the sardonic private investigator Kang-mu (Park Hee-soon) might express—but doesn’t bother to. Being arresting while understated has been the brand of the baritonic Paju and Parasite star, and to fuse it with Se-won as a character makes the scientist’s unsociability sympathetic, or at the least intriguing, rather than something that repels. From there, we find an enticing base for Se-won’s emotional evolution to happen, since after every brain-syncing episode he will acquire the memories and characteristics of others. Whether “more” does mean “better” for a person, a worker, and a father content with being so icy is Dr. Brain’s other big mystery to solve (besides the main “uncover-the-truth” one, of course). Rest assured, the answer will be just as wholesome and playful.

Set an appointment, if you haven’t already.

Source: https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/apple-tv-plus/dr-brain-review/

(Posting this here as well as on LSK's thread)

• Like 3

[Interview] Synchronized with Lee Sun-kyun

Photo courtesy of Apple TV PlusPhoto courtesy of Apple TV Plus

The prerequisite for an actor who is constantly loved, not Han-cheol, is his acting ability. We say that we 'believe and see' actors who attract the public with immersion in each work. You will become an actor who can be trusted just by having a name. This trust does not come from the success of one or two works. It can be achieved only by constantly repeating filmography and showing a presence that never gets tired of each work.

Because it's a 'job where you learn for a lifetime', the way you show each work must be different to the extent that there are jokes that you are called an actor. However, it is not as easy as it sounds to play dozens or hundreds of characters with one self. The human mind is easily shaken by even a small lie, but how easy is it to portray a false character? Nevertheless, it is their job for actors to make multiple selves appear to be their own. Therefore, it is something that no one can do, and it is even more difficult to become an actor who 'trusts and sees'.

Lee Seon-gyun of the Apple TV+ original series 'Dr Brain' (director Kim Ji-woon), which has been well received after its release, shows the state of acting by mixing not one person but several people in the difficult formation of a new self. The work tells the story of Dr. Go Se-won (Lee Sun-kyun), a genius brain scientist who is obsessively obsessed with brain synchronization technology that accesses other people's brains and reads memories. The change in Lee Seon-gyun, as if seeing a different person, is impressive as the episodes repeat.

“Sewon is a person who doesn’t feel emotions by nature. So, at first, I was worried about setting the tone. I worried a lot because I thought that if I focus on things without emotions, it would feel dry. When I saw that it was installed, I set the tone depressingly. The tone and manners were dark, so the scene and atmosphere were a little different. I was looking for someone who could refer to Se-won with less talk, but I felt that director Kim Ji-woon was like Se-won. So like a joke I even said that I could do it like the director.”

Born with a brain deformity, Se-won never forgets what he saw once, but he cannot feel the emotions that accompany memories or empathize with other people's emotions. The story depicts the process of chasing down the truth of this tragedy using the brain synchronization technology he was researching when he lost his son and even his wife went into a coma. What's interesting is that the more brains Sewon synchronizes to find clues, the more emotional changes are mixed with other people's memories. If his emotion value started with 1 in episode 1, it shows 10 in the second half. 

"When you scan other characters, the behavior comes out as a point, but I also asked the director if he should keep his voice in mind. If you stick to the script, that's just information. I acted like that because I said it was okay to give. I really liked the cold feeling of this work. It is a crime thriller, but it ends later as a family story, so I think that is the biggest gap and charm of this work."

'Doctor Brain' is a sci-fi thriller, so there are many CGs in it. The tone and manner itself is also dark, but the CGs in the process of implementing it do not feel directly touching the skin to the extent that it sometimes feels bizarre. Of course, I was overwhelmed by the intense scale, but I thought that it would not have been easy to move in from the perspective of an actor.

"Even though the first episode has a strong sci-fi element, it's still a lot easier than the first draft. I went back and forth between time and space, but the adaptation was comfortable. I think you'll find it difficult and unfamiliar when you only see the first episode. The brain sync scene was edited by the director in a fantasy fashion, so about the changes after that, I followed the natural expression of my emotions according to the script. There was a sense of alienation.”

Being able to synchronize the brain and peek into other people's memories is quite intriguing. Reading other people's thoughts is the realm of God, sometimes given with superpowers in his works. 'Doctor Brain' makes this fantasy science-fiction immersive with a sense of realism that seems feasible. Lee Seon-gyun, who directly played this role, said, "If given the opportunity to assimilate the brain like Sewon, I want to synchronize and store my own memories. I did." He smiled.

The reason 'Doctor Brain' was highly anticipated even before its release was that it was the follow-up to Lee Sun-kyun's film 'Parasite', which swept international film awards, and that it was the first Korean series of Apple TV Plus. Lee Seon-gyun had to bear the burden of being the first title role of Apple TV Plus in addition to the heavy crown of 'parasite'. However, he has been well-received and proved his ability as an actor to 'trust and see' once again.

"I didn't feel burdened by the fact that it was the next work of 'Parasite'. I am just grateful. It was good because 'Parasite' was able to enjoy the glory with unexpected results. It's even more of an honor. I had higher expectations because I was able to release Korean content to many people. These days, 'Doctor Brain' doesn't open all episodes at once like other OTTs, so it's like, 'Why do you only show the taste and finish it?' I'm hearing some grudges."

Lee Sun-kyun is an actor who can trust and see each work with a wide spectrum. He is also a prolific actor in various media, going back and forth between movies and dramas. Movies such as 'Silence' and 'Kingmaker' are about to be released, and now director Choo Chang-min's 'Land of Happiness' is filming. After filming is finished, we will start filming for director Yoo Jae-sun's 'Sleep'. It's a forced march where I want to take a break, but I'm really glad that I can continue to see his acting.

“I just like the setting. There are hardships and ups and downs, but the fact that I have homework in itself is the driving force of my life. And I think the big driving force is that the work is a process of working together, not alone, but together, creating results. There is also the fact that I have to work hard as a father of . I've never been seriously burned out because of a lot of work. I just try to live happily every day. I just relieve stress with alcohol. (Laughs)"

Copyright holder © ize Unauthorized reproduction and redistribution prohibited

https://www.ize.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=50669&VRO_P

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CarolynH said:

So, the episodes drop on Fridays and not Wednesday.  Last week was different because it was the premiere?

Yeah, must have been because it was the premiere. Looking forward to watching Ep 2 later today!

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

The change in Lee Seon-gyun, as if seeing a different person, is impressive as the episodes repeat.

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

What's interesting is that the more brains Sewon synchronizes to find clues, the more emotional changes are mixed with other people's memories. If his emotion value started with 1 in episode 1, it shows 10 in the second half. 

So curious to see what all this will look like as the episodes go on.

BTW Parasite was only $7.99 on Apple earlier this week in case anyone is interested in buying it. :lol:

• Like 2

Apple TV+'s first K-drama, Dr. Brain, is a dark sci-fi thriller starring Parasite's Lee Sun-kyun

Bryan Tan·Contributor
Thu, 11 November 2021, 6:40 pm·3-min read

Apple TV+'s first ever K-drama, the thrilling, dark sci-fi series Dr. Brain, involves an Inception-like plot where people are able to download memories of other people, including the dead, into their own. Actor Lee Sun-kyun (Parasite), who plays genius scientist Sewon, does a 'brain sync' with a cat and acquires the animal's traits and characteristics.

Yahoo Life SEA joined a virtual press conference on Thursday (11 Nov) where the cast and director of Dr. Brain discussed the show. 

Spoiler

"There are a lot of spectacular scenes, even a scene where Sewon [brain] syncs with a cat and takes on the abilities of a cat and climbs up a tree. We first filmed that scene with a stuntman, but Sun-kyun did it even better than the stuntman," says co-star Seo Ji-hye, who plays a police officer in the series who suspects Sewon of murder.

Lee Sun-kyun in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

Lee Sun-kyun in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

"Sewon’s brain syncs are something that viewers can enjoy. There are also emotional developments in character that he did not possess before, and his evolution is very interesting to observe in the series," says veteran actor Park Hee-soon, who plays the charismatic and enigmatic supporter of Sewon, Lee Kang-mu.

"Also, a brain sync with a cat helps him acquire visual acuity, and Sewon was very interestingly portrayed in that process."

Lee Sun-kyun (right) downloading memories in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

Lee Sun-kyun (right) downloading memories in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

Dr. Brain is adapted from a webtoon. We've watched advance screener episodes of Dr. Brain, and the TV series is noticeably different in terms of layer and depth compared to the faster pace of the original webtoon.

"I wanted the story to be wider in terms of breadth and depth, so I gave Sewon a wife and son. I made sure that this person had a very large hippocampus but an underdeveloped amygdala, so he had difficulty with fear and expressing emotions," explains director Kim Jee-woon.

Kim also talked about the reasoning behind why he chose to adapt Dr. Brain and what he felt viewers should pay particular attention to in the series.

Lee Sun-kyun (left) and Seo Ji-hye in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

Lee Sun-kyun (left) and Seo Ji-hye in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

"Regardless of cultural differences, there has always been that primitive urge to read other people‘s thoughts and memories, which is something people have always been curious about," he says.

"I wanted to tell a story about how someone is remembered by other people, and then lead him to discover it in himself."

Spoiler

Lee Sun-kyun (left) and Park Hee-soon in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

Lee Sun-kyun (left) and Park Hee-soon in Dr. Brain. (Still: Apple TV+)

Regarding his character Sewon's difficulty with expressing emotions, actor Lee Sun Kyun had expressed his doubts when first joining the cast.

"When I first got the script, I was really worried about portraying a character who was emotionless, gloomy and too serious if he could not portray emotions. The director and I talked a lot in order to come to an agreement to depict a character who is emotionless but who eventually learns about emotions and how to express them," says Lee.

Watch Lee Sun Kyun's gripping performance in Dr. Brain, which is currently streaming on Apple TV+.

Edited by ferily
Maximum 3 images per post. Please put any other images in the spoiler tag. Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Watched Episode 2 earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not usually one for horror and creepy scenes but Lee Sun Kyun and the story are bridging that gap here.

One review said that some scenes of Dr Brain are silly as hell but super entertaining, and I totally agreed with that today. The sync with the cat was so absurd it was hilarious (he already had a cat-sized syncing helmet :lol:), but it also made sense that Sewon is just reaching for whatever creature might have been on the scene.

And when Lt. Choi said that Kangmu had died four days ago and his car was scrapped on the scene, it was definitely a what the heck? moment. So the show is not even moving in a linear timeline in the present-day. Now I wonder if Kangmu is just a dream/ memory for Sewon, or if Sewon is jumping back and forth in recent time having had very real conversations and interactions with Kangmu.

Nice to see a caretaker come during the day to take care of Jae Yi, too. I was definitely concerned about her well-being, all alone in the basement. But Sewon is right...if he had wanted her to die, why would he go to such great lengths to keep her alive?

Also, the actor playing Lim Junki is the book publisher in It's Okay to Not Be Okay. Great to see him here. It's interesting that the flashbacks of the relationship between Junki and Jaeyi are shot in pastel/ soothing colors. The palette makes me want to see more of them together, even though she's cheating on Sewon. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Dr. Brain’ Exclusive Interviews with Lee Sun-hyun, Park Hee-soon, and more!

......... (some introductory paragraphs on the show and the cast not included here)

Our Exclusive Dr. Brain Cast Interview

During exclusive interviews with the cast Lee Sun-hyun, Lee You-young, Park Hee-soon, Seo Ji-hye, Lee Jae-won, and executive producer, creator, writer, and director Kim Jee-woon shared their thoughts on the “brain hacking” capabilities explored in Dr. Brain and explained how their characters fit into this mystery-box tale.

Director Kim Jee-woon

Could you describe the experience of working on “Dr. Brain” and why you chose a project about brain-hacking?

KIM JEE-WOON: The world of the human brain is very mysterious and intriguing and I think the urge to look into other people’s memories or read their minds is in human nature. So I thought it would be very interesting if I built a narrative around a person who hacked other people’s brains to find clues and use those clues to solve a murder-mystery. I thought it would be very interesting, and that’s why I decided to do this project.

In this particular story, your hero has a disability where he cannot always express his emotions. So it makes it challenging for the viewer to get to know him. How would you describe that character as he goes on a journey through the series?

KIM JEE-WOON: What you mentioned is actually a very important motivation and I decided to work on this project because I wanted to tell a story about just that: a journey of a human being. So this person explores other people’s brains to solve a murder-mystery in the beginning, but as he becomes closer to the truth of the mystery, he confronts himself in other people’s memories and learns more about who he really is as a person.

So as he gets closer to that — that is the key to the mystery. He finds out how wrong he was and how flawed he was as a person. And because of the brain anomaly where he has a very overly developed hippocampus (which is why he has a brilliant memory) and an underdeveloped amygdala (which makes him have trouble in terms of connecting with others), he is shut off from society and he makes his wife and son very uncomfortable at times, and he also has trouble not being able to trust others.

So he realizes by looking into other people’s brains that all of it comes down to his problems. The tragedy can be traced back to him and his flaws. I wanted to express this in terms of the color palette also, so that it would all start off monotonous, using very cold color schemes: blue and green tones aesthetically in the beginning.

Then as he becomes more emotional towards the end, the color palette becomes very intense and vivid. I wanted to express visually the wave of emotions that he was feeling and how confused he was.

For you, what was fun about working on this project?

KIM JEE-WOON: While I had only done films thus far, this is my first time doing serialized television. So I was very new to the world of a series. And also, it was my first time working with almost all of the main actors. I tend to be motivated when I am trying something new. So I could find a lot of energy in that regard because curiosity is what drives me forward.

I tried to look at a lot of good drama television series as a reference. And I noticed that whereas a film is mostly 2 hours long, a television series has to have a quality where each episode in and of itself has to tell a complete story. But at the same time leave the audience wanting more and looking forward to the next episode at the end of each episode. This required a lot of techniques and thorough plot planning. So I found this process very enjoyable and exciting.

Lee Sun-Kyun

Could you talk a little bit about your character Sewon’s journey. It seems like he starts off in one place and then goes through an extraordinary journey and adventure by the end of the series.

LEE SUN-KYUN: Sewon [brain scientist] is a character who is left emotionless because he has a brain anomaly. So he cannot feel emotions and he cannot empathize with others. Then this tragedy befalls on his family.

So I think the whole story starts off with his curiosity about why this tragedy happened. And then he uses his brain-sync technology to track down what has been happening and he tries to unravel the mystery behind his family tragedy. Through that process, the feelings of those people that he brain-synced with kind of smears into him. So I think this is kind of like a coming of age story for Sewon. It’s also kind of an atonement for him — for not being there for his family and for not being able to love his family beforehand.

I found this story very similar to a classic story we have around Christmas time, called “A Christmas Carol”, in which the main character gets visited by ghosts of the past, present and future.

It seemed like that is similar to your character Sewon’s journey as he discovers things that he did not know in the past or even the present that affect his future, and how it is also a story of the discovery of love along the way. How would you describe it? Would you describe the show “Dr. Brain” as more of a thriller, or is there something else going on?

LEE SUN-KYUN: Actually, that was a very good point. I never thought about the show being similar to “A Christmas Carol”, but hearing you explain it, I think it is quite similar — especially regarding Sewon’s atonement. About the genre, while the show is cloaked in [science fiction] and has a heavy dose of thriller, I think it is really a human drama . . . a journey of a man who finally realizes what family is and what love is.

Sewon also has quite a lot to learn about hacking people’s brains and whether that is a good idea or not. How do you feel about it now that you have worked this show?

LEE SUN-KYUN: I feel very bad about this technology — this brain-sync technology. I think I am kind of scared about the technology. The whole concept of being able to look into people’s brains just kind of freaks me out.

What would you say is the kind of love connection that your character Sewon is in search of at this point? He seems very lonely.

LEE SUN-KYUN: I definitely agree that he is a very lonely character. He is lonely himself, and he also makes people around him lonely too. But he does not realize that he is lonely because he does not feel emotions. He only knows about himself and he does not have any emotions.

So I think he is a very lonely character and he makes it hard for people to really get along with him. He gives a hard time to his family and people around him.

I also noticed that there are some similarities between your character Sewon in “Dr. Brain” and your character in your prior series “My Mister” as they are both characters that had to learn to fight for the things that they wanted, loved, and appreciated in their lives.

How would you describe your current character Sewon and how he learns to fight and how anger becomes a part of his love journey? That he has to learn to fight for things.

LEE SUN-KYUN: I totally agree with you that they do have some similarities. Sewon looks very dry and monotonous. But the difference between Sewon and my character in “My Mister” is that Sewon actually does not feel anything. He does not know that he is feeling less.

But my character in “My Mister”, on the other hand, knows about these feelings, but he just kind of takes it in and tries not to reveal his emotions. So I think that is the big difference between the two characters. I think it is a good thing with these characters, who are not really expressive, that when they do have this anger — when they do find this chance to really express their emotions — there is this big catharsis. That is what I really like about these characters. I like that Sewon learned anger.

Lee You-young & Park Hee-soon

“Brain hacking” is obviously a complicated subject matter for this particular series, but it is played with very nicely, and your characters are part of the mystery. Can you describe kind of what was your characters’ strengths that they brought to unraveling the mystery?

LEE YOU-YOUNG: My character is the wife of the genius scientist and she is actually at the heart of the events that occur as the lead character Sewon is linked into these mysterious incidents. I believe that she is actually driving these mysteries.

One of the roles of this character is to continuously trigger the curiosity of the mystery among the viewers. So that is one area of focus. Another is that she is a very strong mother and her son is ill and, while everyone says that her son is dead after an accident, she still argues and believes that he is alive.

In that situation, I thought expressing her anger would be one important part. At the same time, she needs to show this kind of eerie and horror-side of the role. So I was trying to accommodate all of these different elements to kind of portray a multi-layered character and I hope that the viewers will also be able to relate to this character.

PARK HEE-SOON: I play a character Lee Kangmu, who is former police and current private investigator. . . . I think there is a mysterious side of him and he is also a seasoned veteran in his work. So I tried to portray these different elements of Lee Kangmu.

Was there something that you enjoyed about filming this series or something that you will take away as a positive memory from it?

LEE YOU-YOUNG: For me, it was really interesting to play such a character of complexity. It really broadened my acting performance. My character Jaeyi is in the real world and is also in the memories and illusions of Sewon.

So I had to go back and forth between these worlds. There is this scene where there is a lot of blood and she is completely submerged into a huge scene of red, and in that scene, Jaeyi is more horror and she is more eerie.

Then there are scenes where she is the dreams of Sewon and it is more dreamy, and she is portrayed more beautifully and elegantly. Then there are scenes where she is fighting for her son where I get to express my mad and monstrous side of her. Trying to play all of these different aspects was a very interesting and positive experience for me.

PARK HEE-SOON: I practically only worked with Sewon throughout the series. Sewon is portrayed by Lee Sun-Kyun and I am very close friends with him. We go back 20 years, but this is the first time that we met on the set of a drama or a film.

So while the series is a buddy/road-trip kind of movie of Sewon and Kangmu, I think the same can be said of the two actors who play those characters: Lee Sun-Hyun and Park Hee-soon. I think that will be one of the great memories that we have together as friends.

Now that you have finished filming “Dr. Brain”, what do you think would be the positives of having brain-syncing or brain-hacking in our society, or do you think it is kind of a terrifying idea?

PARK HEE-SOON: I think it is the same for science in general. If it is used for good, it can be positive. If it is used for evil, it can be used for a negative impact on society. It is like both sides of a coin. I hope that it is used by good people. I believe that there are more good people in the world and hopefully it would be used for positive outcomes.

Seo Ji-hye & Lee Jae-won

How would you describe your characters’ skill-sets that helps unravel the mystery for Sewon?

LEE JAE-WON: My character Namil [brain scientist] has the most knowledge of brain-sync technology after Sewon in the series. So I think professionally he is able to help Sewon a lot. And personally, even, Namil is dependable and like a brother to Sewon. Even though Sewon does not explicitly word it to Namil. He trusts him like a brother and I think Namil knows that as well.

For you, as an actor, what did you enjoy about working on this particular project? What was fun or memorable for you?

SEO JI-HYE: I think given the nature of the theme of the series, which is very heavy and full of suspense and thriller, we tried to keep things light on set, just to keep things very fun and casual and friendly when we were not filming.

An episode that comes to mind, that we had a lot of fun with, was because I am a detective, we worked with corpses and these are not actual corpses or actual actors or actresses. But they are dummies that look very realistic given our current level of technology.

So Detective Park, who is my aide on the series, actually went up to one of the dummies and thought it was an actor and started talking to it. So that really lightened up the mood that day.

“Dr. Brain” is actually a series about love, even though it is a thriller series. How would you describe the love that your character receives or gives to the other characters and how that impacts the story?

SEO JI-HYE: I think each character has a different subject that they love or that they receive love from. So, for example, Sewon’s love is his family, which drives the story. And since I portray a detective in the story, my character’s love is based on solving cases and investigations. I think this love for solving cases is what makes my character powerful.

LEE JAE-WON: For my character Namil, he knows that if he just gave us his love for Sewon that he would not be in so much danger and so much trouble. But because of this love, he is able to endure all of those challenges and I think without this love aspect from Namil to Sewon. He knows that his character could not stay as strong as he did until the very end. Especially since Sewon, who was portrayed by Lee Sun-hyun is actually very lovely in person, I was able to fully immerse myself in the role.

I am curious what you have to say about your series “Dr. Brain” and the whole concept of brain-hacking, if there are positives or negatives, and how you feel about it.

SEO JI-HYE: So I think this concept of brain-hacking could really go either way. It could have a positive influence on the world, or it could go terribly wrong and have a negative influence. But I think that if this technology were built up on, without compromising human values and human dignity, then I think that it would be one of the greatest technologies and we could take away a lot from that with the synergy created.

I think this is the message that our series is trying to convey as well to the audience. So where we go with this technology is the results can be infinite. But I really do hope personally that it is developed in a good way.

Source: https://www.fanbolt.com/116834/dr-brain-cast-exclusive-interviews-with-lee-sun-hyun-park-hee-soon-and-more/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Watched Episode 2 earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not usually one for horror and creepy scenes but Lee Sun Kyun and the story are bridging that gap here.

Spoilers below.

Hide contents

One review said that some scenes of Dr Brain are silly as hell but super entertaining, and I totally agreed with that today. The sync with the cat was so absurd it was hilarious (he already had a cat-sized syncing helmet :lol:), but it also made sense that Sewon is just reaching for whatever creature might have been on the scene.

And when Lt. Choi said that Kangmu had died four days ago and his car was scrapped on the scene, it was definitely a what the heck? moment. So the show is not even moving in a linear timeline in the present-day. Now I wonder if Kangmu is just a dream/ memory for Sewon, or if Sewon is jumping back and forth in recent time having had very real conversations and interactions with Kangmu.

Nice to see a caretaker come during the day to take care of Jae Yi, too. I was definitely concerned about her well-being, all alone in the basement. But Sewon is right...if he had wanted her to die, why would he go to such great lengths to keep her alive?

Also, the actor playing Lim Junki is the book publisher in It's Okay to Not Be Okay. Great to see him here. It's interesting that the flashbacks of the relationship between Junki and Jaeyi are shot in pastel/ soothing colors. The palette makes me want to see more of them together, even though she's cheating on Sewon. 

Spoiler

Yeah I am confused as well, like what is going on, the guy is already dead what??.Yeah he was on that one nod.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

What is happening? 

I'm confused :D

Is this Lee Kangmu a clone, or are all the memories being scrapped together and mixed up. How many did he download? Random "traffic accident" victim, his wife, the cat. 

So maybe it was that traffic accident victim who met Lee Kangmu? 

Also, I am cringing at some of the stuff Dr Brain does, like accessing crime scene without gloves, just casually drinking water in the deceased's house.

At first I thought it was unfair how the cops immediately attacked him and alleged he murdered his wife's lover, but now he is just building their case against him by leaving all the prints and trails leading to him. 

Also,... the cat brain syncing did make me cringe too. Will the human male now adopt all cat specifications? It's just weird... oh well :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 1

Episode 2 was way too short. I am having a little trouble with the pacing of this drama. It feels too slow compared to a movie and way too fast compared to a regular length drama. I am glad he answered our question about brain synch with a non-dead person. And like someone said, I am also glad he hired someone to come and take care of his wife. I thought it was odd that Sewon was so quick to trust Lee Kang Mu with details of what he was doing. I am enjoying the craziness of this drama, but I am impatient to get to the parts where we see a more emotional Sewon. Did we get any confirmation that his wife was indeed having an affair with the other dad? And I need to rewatch episode 2 as I did a lot of peeking from behind my blanket. This is definitely not something I would have touched even with a 10-ft pole had LSK not been in it. 

The eyes!

I read a translated article in which LSK mentioned having a second season of Dr. Brain and wishing a second season of My Mister. But since it was a Google translated, I couldn't really be sure of the accuracy. Wish I could find the original article again. Looks like the cast will have yet another online interview on Nov 15th, this time with Zoom TV.

Starts at 2:15 mark:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

Watching Dr Brain Episode 2 with my primary schooler today:

Son: Doesn't he get scared by all the creepy hallucinations?

Me: You're right. You'd think he'd be traumatized by them.

Son: Oh, I guess it's because he doesn't have any emotions.

:lol:

Guess the show is clearly getting its point across that Sewon has no emotions.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, sadiesmith said:

Looks like the cast will have yet another online interview on Nov 15th, this time with Zoom TV.

Are you going to try to tune in?

It's too late for me but I assume they'll record it and release it afterward.

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Dr. Brain, Dr.브레인 @ Thursday

A very nice interview with Director Kim Jee Woon:

https://www.ajunews.com/view/20211113232643531

Even though reviews have been a little mixed, I think everyone has been impressed by the breathtaking framing and color gradients shown in every scene. I'm glad the director talked a little about that. Some interesting excerpts below:

“I am a person who thinks mise-en-scène is the language of video, and I have made it that way until now. I also thought that ‘Doctor Brain’ could show the inner side of a person through space, and I expressed the space where Se-won works and the house with cool colors, When Sewon and his family lived together, I made it in warm tones, and I wanted it to feel inhomogeneous and nightmarish in memory, not just to make the colors beautiful, but to be verbalized as another text in the narrative. The way the person speaks through the atmosphere and color of the space without speaking is the way I have done so far.”

"I am a person who feels happy when creating new things. Meeting new actors is also true. I really enjoyed the time we worked together. Also, from Lee Seon-gyun to Seo Ji-hye, I have been working across movies and dramas, so my slow work time. Actors who have the advantage of quickly adapting to the situation, judging and interpreting. I thought that they could show such a great performance in a short production period. All actors were able to do that. Time and volume pressure I think I was able to solve it because of them.”

Director Kim also expressed his gratitude, saying that he received a lot of help from Lee Seon-gyun.

"Since it's my first drama, I think I got a lot of help from Lee Seon-gyun. We exchanged a lot of opinions about the main character Se-won. Se-won, who does not feel emotions, is the main character, but it is difficult to express it in a drama. Narrative is the main character. I had to follow the story, but it was difficult to express it, so I changed the settings little by little and created the characters by raising the temperature of the characters little by little. I think it helped a lot when sharing opinions like that."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2