larus

After toying with different titles such as Mr. Robin and Alpha Romeo, I wonder if the production team finally decided to stick to the original title from the webtoon itself Dr. Brain? I hope so.

Here's one more blog post anticipating this series:

https://movizark.com/2021/03/07/dr-brain-i-saw-the-devil-director-bring-trippy-sci-fi-thriller-series-coming-to-apple/

‘DR. BRAIN’: ‘I SAW THE DEVIL’ DIRECTOR BRING TRIPPY SCI-FI THRILLER SERIES COMING TO APPLE!!

March 7, 2021 · by Mirza Baig · in Features, TV. ·

What if we could access our memories and brain waves like data in a hard drive? This question has motivated the acclaimed Korean webtoon Dr. Brain in a series of striking animated tableaus. And now, as part of Apple TV+‘s new spate of international content (a globalization play most of the big streaming services are now making), this webtoon will become a live-action sci-fi thriller TV series, courtesy of some of South Korea’s most celebrated filmmakers and performers.

The live-action Dr. Brain, currently in production in South Korea, is written and directed by Kim Jee-woon, who gave us such ultraviolent genre masterpieces as A Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw the Devil. It stars Lee Sun-kyun of Parasite fame as a brain scientist determined to figure out how to access our brain’s most inner secrets and memories, with the ulterior motive of finding out the truth behind a terrible tragedy that happened to his family. Producers include KimSamuel Yeunju Ha (Okja), Ham Jung Yeub and Daniel Han for Studioplex, and Joy Jinsoo Lee and Min Young Hong for Kakao Entertainment.

While I’m not familiar with the webtoon, I love the sound of this premise, I love the pedigree of the talent involved, and I love that American audiences will have access to more interesting, international content. I’ve been a fan of the contemporary South Korean cinema scene for awhile now, and to get such an intriguing, mind-bending, and spooky TV series from the hearts and minds of this pool of great storytellers is a win for Apple TV+.

Check out the official synopsis of Dr. Brain below.

“Dr. Brain” is an emotional journey that follows a brain scientist who is obsessive about figuring out new technologies to access the consciousness and memories of the brain. His life goes sideways when his family falls victim to a mysterious accident, and he uses his skills to access memories from his wife’s brain to piece together the mystery of what actually happened to his family and why.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

News came out yesterday that this series will be released by the end of the year. Yay! What the director said about the theme and subjects sounds really intriguing. I hope we get more information on the other characters soon. 

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/03/398_305538.html

Director Kim Jee-woon's 'Dr. Brain' to be released on Apple TV+ this year

By Kwak Yeon-soo

Director Kim Jee-woon's new sci-fi thriller series "Dr. Brain" will be released on Apple TV+ this year, the streaming giant said Monday. The Apple TV+'s first Korean-language project is currently filming in Korea.

Based on the popular Korean web comic of the same title, the series revolves around a neuroscientist who tries to access the consciousness and memories of the brain in order to find out the truth behind a terrible tragedy that occurred to his family.

Actor Lee Sun-kyun, who rose to fame after starring in Oscar-winning "Parasite" (2019), plays the lead role.

Kim, who previously helmed thrillers such as "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003) and "I Saw the Devil" (2010), said the premise of "Dr. Brain" was interesting to him.

"It was interesting to follow the protagonist's journey as he looks into a mysterious accident and unravels what actually happened to his family and why. I think I can offer a unique take on the sci-fi thriller," he said.

"I also loved the theme and subjects it explores. The series demonstrates how a character becomes self-aware of the ironies in life by accessing the minds and memories of others and studying how others had perceived him. He also rebuilds a broken relationship."

Dr. Brain is being produced for Apple TV+ by Korea-based studio Bound Entertainment along with Kakao Entertainment, Studioplex and Dark Circle Pictures. Kim will serve as an executive producer alongside Ha Yeun-ju, executive producer of Kim's "Illang: The Wolf Brigade" (2018) and director Bong Joon-ho's "Okja" (2017).

Kim also expressed excitement about partnering with Apple TV+. The company has not initiated its service in Korea yet, but is cashing in on Korean original content to benefit from the hallyu boom, or Korean Wave.

It is also producing the TV adaptation of the award-winning novel "Pachinko" written by Korean American author Lee Min-jin. The series delves into a story of four generations of a Korean family living in Japan and the U.S. It will star Korean actors Youn Yuh-jung and Lee Min-ho and will feature Korean, Japanese and English dialogue.

Read the rest here.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Director Kim Ji Woon enlisted the help of Im Pil-seong, another director, to shoot episodes with dense "psychological tension":

Director Kim Ji-woon x Lee Seon-gyun 'Dr.  Brain', Directed by Im Pil-sung Image 1

Unlike directing teams A and B in other drama production systems, director Im Pil-seong is in charge of specific episodes and sequences. Director Im Pil-seong, who directed 'Antarctic Diary', 'Hansel and Gretel' and 'Madam Pup-duk', is known to be in charge of episodes in which psychological tension is densely drawn in the six-part 'Dr. It is rumored that this production method was suggested by director Kim Ji-woon to build an effective system for drama production to Apple.

https://www.msn.com/ko-kr/entertainment/movies/김지운-감독x이선균-dr-브레인-임필성-감독-연출-참여/ar-AAKoblh

• Like 3

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Dr. Brain, Dr.브레인- Lee SunKyun, Lee Yoo Young, Yoo Teo & Seo Ji Hye
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Finally some words from Apple TV+ !!! They also said trailer will be released soon. So excited!

HURRAY!!!

Super excited!

Our subscription to Apple TV+ will pay off even more now (although Ted Lasso HAS been really good, too :D).

I was curious so I did some searching :).

From this link: https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/how-to-get-apple-tv-plus-on-roku/

"You can download the Apple TV+ channel from the Roku Channel Store. Follow these easy steps to find and install the channel on your device:

Step 1: Access your Home screen by pressing the Home button on your Roku remote.

Step 2: In the presented menu, scroll to and select the Streaming Channels option.

Step 3: Scroll down to and select Search Channels.

Step 4: Using the on-screen keyboard, search for Apple TV+.

Step 5: In the provided results, select Apple TV+ and click it.

Step 6: Click Add Channel.

Once the Apple TV+ channel has been installed on your Roku device—access it as you do any other channel from the Roku Home Screen."

For those who are unfamiliar with Apple TV+, it has become its own platform now, like Netflix or Disney+. You have to pay to access many of its shows, though it does offer some shows and some episodes for free (mainly to suck you in).

Recently, if you bought a new Apple device, you got a year of Apple TV+ for free. Not sure if they're still doing that, but that's how we first got into Apple TV+ programs. Then they renewed our subscription automatically, which is fine since Dr. Brain is coming out! We pay $4.99 USD a month.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
October 25 2021

Trailer for Apple TV+ drama “Dr. Brain”

Dr_Brain-trailerSM1.jpg

English subtitled trailer for Apple TV+ drama series “Dr. Brain” starring Lee Sun-Kyun. The drama series is directed award winning filmmaker Kim Jee-Woon and is based on webcomic “Dr. Brain” Writer Hong. The drama series also features an impressive list of supporting actors including Lee Yoo-Young, Park Hee-Soon, Seo Ji-Hye, & Lee Jae-Won.

“Dr. Brain” streams from November 4, 2021 on Apple TV+.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: When Lee Se-Won (Lee Sun-Kyun) was a child, his mother died in a hit and run accident. He decided afterwards to become a brain scientist. He is a genius and he remembers everything he sees. 20 years after his mother’s death, Lee Se-Won has become a famous Ph.D scientist in the brain science field. One day, a mysterious person contacts him and asks him to extract information from the brain of a man who committed suicide. Lee Se-Won is interested and accepts the proposal. He attempts to extract information from the dead man’s brain, but fails. A couple of days later, he finds himself behaving differently and seeing things differently. Lee Se-Won looks into the dead man’s case.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/trailer-for-apple-tv-drama-dr-brain

Dr. Brain — Official Trailer | Apple TV+

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Dr. Brain, Dr.브레인- Lee SunKyun, Lee Yoo Young, Yoo Teo & Seo Ji Hye- Premieres November 4

Oh, Apple. If only they had told us sooner that Dr Brain would premiere on November 4, we could have had a longer time of angsty anticipation! Now they tell us only 10 days out and I can't believe it's so soon. I feel like they hid that premiere date from us on purpose. :lol:

Looks intense and gritty - we'll see how long I can last in watching it. Hopefully it will draw in lots of viewers, though; for the show to capitalize on LSK's success in Parasite is smart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Looks intense and gritty - we'll see how long I can last in watching it. Hopefully it will draw in lots of viewers, though; for the show to capitalize on LSK's success in Parasite is smart.

And I wonder if they also tried to capitalize on the massive success of Squid Game on Netflix. The premier date certainly got announced way closer than their other shows. I really hope this one is well made and prove Apple TV's decision to use it as its first Korean drama a sound one. The trailer looks promising. As long as it is telling a great story, I am all in. 

So it looks like Lee Yoo Young is playing the wife? So man lost his mother when a young kid and now lost his son and wife, too?

• Like 2

MEMORIES OF THE DEAD —

Apple TV+ releases trailer for South Korean sci-fi thriller Dr. Brain

On the heels of Squid Game's success, Apple TV+ debuts its own South Korean drama.

JENNIFER OUELLETTE - 10/25/2021, 11:00 AM

Parasite star Lee Sun-kyun plays a brilliant brain surgeon who tries to sync his brain with the dead in Dr. Brain.

Fans of the Oscar-winning film Parasite will recognize the star of Dr. Brain, a new sci-fi thriller from Apple TV+. Lee Sun-kyun, who played Park Dong-Ik in Bong Joon-ho's film, plays a brilliant brain surgeon who seeks to find out the truth about the tragic accident that befell his wife and son.

This is the first Apple TV+ series filmed completely in Korean, and its release coincides with the official launch of the streaming service in South Korea. Written and directed by Kim Jee-woon (A Tale of Two Sisters, I Saw the Devil), the new six-episode live-action series is based on the popular Korean webtoon of the same name by Hongjacga. Most Americans are probably unfamiliar with the source material, but South Korean programming has proved to be quite popular in the US, as evidenced by Netflix series like zombie period drama Kingdom and this year's Squid Game. The latter is currently Netflix's most-watched series to date, reaching over 142 million households during its first month.

So it's no wonder that Apple TV wants to emulate that success with Dr. Brain. Per the official premise: "The series follows a brilliant brain scientist Sewon (Lee Sun-kyun) who suffers a horrific personal tragedy when his family falls victim to a mysterious accident. Desperate to uncover what happened, he goes to extraordinary lengths to solve the tragic mystery by conducting 'brain syncs' with the dead to access their memories for clues." The series also stars Lee You-young, Park Hee-soon, Seo Ji-hye, and Lee Jae-won.

The trailer opens with the image of a young boy with sensors attached to his head, presumably to detect brain signals. "That child has a very unique brain—a new type of genius," a voiceover says, and the image then cuts to the adult Sewon wearing the same setup.  We see him hard at work on his research, which is focused on accessing the thoughts and memories of other people. Then we flash back to a brief, happy memory of Sewon with his wife and son, and we get a glimpse of the tragedy that befell them.

It's not long before Sewon is conducting experiments with corpses in his laboratory, attempting to hack their memories. We only see fragments: a house fire (that may have been deliberately set); a barking dog; a distraught young woman, hands clasped as if in prayer; and a recurring admonition to "find our son." All those memory fragments are impossibly tangled in Sewon's head, and he must figure out how to make sense of them.

"The memories feel like hallucinations," Sewon says. "My mind is in chaos." It looks like Sewon is also a suspect in a murder, since we see two homicide detectives pay him a visit, assuring him that they will be watching. All in all, it looks like a spookily surreal series.

Dr. Brain debuts on Apple TV+ on November 3, 2021, in the US and globally on November 4, 2021.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/a-brilliant-brain-surgeon-tries-to-access-the-memories-of-the-dead-in-dr-brain-trailer/

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I really hope I can watch somehow (Apple TV Canada) doesn't show it on the website!:tears:.

Do you have a subscription to Apple TV+? We do, and it's showing up for us now in the "Coming Soon" section of our TV Apple TV+ app.

Uhm Tae-goo to appear in Apple TV+'s 'Dr. Brain' Reunited with director Kim Ji-woon

450057_572271_2148.jpg

As a result of coverage of Spotify News on the 27th, Taegu Um will appear in 'Doctor Brain', the first Korean original work of Apple TV Plus, which will be serviced for the first time in Korea on November 4th.

'Doctor Brain' is a work based on a Korean webtoon of the same name. It is a work about a brain scientist's journey through the skills that can access the memories and consciousness contained in the brain. It tells the story of the main character connecting to the brains of the people involved in order to solve a mysterious case, collecting memories and solving it.

Lee Seon-gyun, who has a high share price in 'Parasite', is the lead actor, and Lee Yoo-young, Park Hee-soon, and Seo Ji-hye also appear. Directed by Kim Ji-woon, who directed the films 'Janghwa, Hongryeon', 'I Saw the Devil', and 'The Age of Shadows'. This is his first drama directing challenge. He and Uhm Tae-gu worked together in 'The Age of Shadows', so the meeting in this work is also attracting attention.

Uhm Tae-goo is an actor who has shown strong acting with strong impression and strong energy. Appeared in the movie 'Paradise Night' and 'Drama 'Hometown' this year.

https://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=450057

• Like 3