larus

Someone heard our chatter and wrote an article answering many of our questions. :lol: Among others, I found that there will be a drama press conference on the 3rd, so yay! But like many of us here, the reporter laments the lack of promotion material, not only regarding the drama itself but also on Apple TV+ that is supposedly trying to be a player in the local market. Check it out; it translates well with Google Translate: 

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=24161763&cloc=rss|isplus|total_list

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I wonder if the production team of Pachinko has been as hush-hush as this one. Does anyone follow or anticipate that drama? Are there BTS pictures or anything?

Fans went everyday Pachinko's Canada shooting so we saw so many LMH pics but thanks to fans. I has checked almost 1 years Korean big sites or forums. Almost nobody know about Aplle TV/Pachinko anything. Dr. Brain teaser was out and there aren't anything trend topic on Korean portal/forums etc.That means Korean people doesn't know anything about Apple Tv. I just saw 1-2 post and they have so little comments and they said" I don't know this"

I guess just LMH and  Lee Sun Kyun fans know this.(like us)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Someone heard our chatter and wrote an article answering many of our questions. :lol: Among others, I found that there will be a drama press conference on the 3rd, so yay! But like many of us here, the reporter laments the lack of promotion material, not only regarding the drama itself but also on Apple TV+ that is supposedly trying to be a player in the local market. Check it out; it translates well with Google Translate: 

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=24161763&cloc=rss|isplus|total_list

Good news about the press conference, esp if the actors come!

And THIS is a looming problem:

"Next, Disney Plus released seven episodes, including original domestic content, ahead of its Korean release on the 12th, and heralded a massive offensive in content volume from Marvel, Pixar, and National Geographic. In addition, domestic OTT TVs and Waves are also working hard to strengthen their competitiveness by producing their own original content. Both of you are emphasizing 'original' content and revealing plans for additional production, but Apple TV+'s 'upside down' move is inevitably noticeable."

Disney's launch is only a week after Dr. Brain premieres, and they promise to have Marvel and Disney content and a bunch of Korean shows. If the average Korean household can only subscribe to one new service, I'd have to imagine they'd go for Disney instead of Apple TV+. It's not like Apple TV+ even has that much content.

Apple is always secretive about their new product launches, but in this case I think they could have done a much better job if they wanted Dr Brain to succeed.

But let's be hopeful for now :) I do think the international audience will enjoy the sci-fi/ thriller nature of Dr Brain. They definitely took to Parasite. And one thing can be said about Apple TV+ shows - they are of excellent production quality. Plus Ted Lasso is HILARIOUS. (But it has a lot of language and some vulgarity. It's not for everyone.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Good news about the press conference, esp if the actors come!

And THIS is a looming problem:

"Next, Disney Plus released seven episodes, including original domestic content, ahead of its Korean release on the 12th, and heralded a massive offensive in content volume from Marvel, Pixar, and National Geographic. In addition, domestic OTT TVs and Waves are also working hard to strengthen their competitiveness by producing their own original content. Both of you are emphasizing 'original' content and revealing plans for additional production, but Apple TV+'s 'upside down' move is inevitably noticeable."

Disney's launch is only a week after Dr. Brain premieres, and they promise to have Marvel and Disney content and a bunch of Korean shows. If the average Korean household can only subscribe to one new service, I'd have to imagine they'd go for Disney instead of Apple TV+. It's not like Apple TV+ even has that much content.

Apple is always secretive about their new product launches, but in this case I think they could have done a much better job if they wanted Dr Brain to succeed.

But let's be hopeful for now :) I do think the international audience will enjoy the sci-fi/ thriller nature of Dr Brain. They definitely took to Parasite. And one thing can be said about Apple TV+ shows - they are of excellent production quality. Plus Ted Lasso is HILARIOUS. (But it has a lot of language and some vulgarity. It's not for everyone.)

Disney prepeared so many dramas and show also they bought Jisoo's drama (Blackpink) I saw so many articles and post about Disney on Korean portal/forums but Aplle Tv just has Dr. Brain and Pachinko and no promotion so nobody knows it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

It's smart that LG TV is offering a 3-month free trial of Apple TV+. Hopefully the power name of director KJW plus the strong cast is enough to get people to sign up even for just one show. Do you think that audience will appreciate shows like Ted Lasso and Invasion?

http://www.jeonpa.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=121651

https://news.v.daum.net/v/20211102224108037

• Like 4

Lots of hints at what to come from this article. I'll highlight some of my favorite. :)

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/movie/article/2021110333784

Director Kim Jee-woon said, "I continued to make movies, and then the drama was released for the first time. Director Kim said, "It is a unique thriller in which a genius neuroscientist with a dark childhood memory solves the mysterious events surrounding him and his family in a bizarre way of synchronizing the brain of another person with his own. It can be said that it is a brain chase play or a memory chase play." He also said, "The main character, Se-won, sees himself through other people's brains and sees his own deficiencies."

Lee Seon-gyun takes on the role of Go Se-won, a brain scientist who can't empathize with other people's emotions. Go Se-won tries to unravel the mystery of what happened to his wife and son after they become victims of an unexplained accident.

Lee Seon-gyun said, "The scenario was fun, but working with director Kim Ji-woon was the biggest thing." He continued, "It was also attractive that it was a drama with a unique subject matter that I had not seen in Korea. It was difficult for me to encounter a subject I had not seen before, but after the first part, the chase drama came to me very immersive. It was interesting enough to ask if he would come out. The story that started cold and ended hot was attractive."

Lee Seon-gyun said, "'No emotion' means there is no reaction and no breathing. He continued, "I wondered if there would still be a 'learned emotion'. I thought about who might be around me, so I made the director a role model."

Lee Yoo-young plays Jeong Jae-i, Se-won's wife, who is in a coma after making an extreme choice after the shock of her son's death. Lee Yoo-young said, "I really wanted to work with director Kim Ji-woon. Also, the fact that the main character synchronizes and examines the human brain was interesting." She continued, "In such a story, the role of the wife, a reliable helper who helps Se-won grow up, was attractive. She is the person at the center of the case, and I thought she could do a variety of realistic, eerie, and bizarre and unrealistic acting." 

Lee Yoo-young said, "If the other actor gives me emotions, I have to act, but it was difficult because Se-won didn't have emotions. I talked a lot about that part with my partner on set." She continued, "I focused on expressing a loving and warm wife and strong mother who struggles to protect her family and protect her sick son despite Sewon's coldness."

------------------------------

Whoa! Sounds like the drama will explore human nature and emotions in addition to everything else we were already expecting. It's funny LSK picked director KJW as his inspiration for someone "without emotion." Haha... So he is playing a "cold" character again, isn't he? But I guess it's of a different flavor than Park Dong Hoon's aloofness, if that is even the correct description for PDH. 

From another article I gathered this could be a "healing" drama in its own way:

Director Kim Jee-woon said, "There is a genius neuroscientist with dark memories of childhood. As an adult, mysterious events and accidents continue to happen around him and his family. To solve it, this neuroscientist solves the case in a bizarre way. In order to solve all the questions and mysteries surrounding it, it is a thriller in a unique way that synchronizes other people's brains with their own and unlocks the secrets." He continued, "We approach the truth while navigating through the questions of the terrible and unfortunate accidents that continue to happen. It's hard to say in one word, but it's a family mystery. Looking into his brain, he sees himself and sees his own deficiencies. It is also a story of growing up to reconcile with one's own deficiencies."

Lee Seon-gyun continued, "The biggest reason I chose this work was that I enjoyed the screenplay, but also working with director Kim Ji-woon. After reading the script, I was very curious as a reader, not a writer. It is a story of restoring family love. The story that starts cold and ends hot was attractive."

https://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=451517&page=&total=

There are many more articles, and I remember one where the director said he had less freedom to do what he wanted in a tv series compared to a movie. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Premiere Watch: Dr. Brain, Happiness

by missvictrix

premwatch_drbrain1.jpg

More dramas coming in hot! This week’s drops are quite interesting ones — we have the first-ever drama production from Apple TV+ (all eyes on how that goes), and an apocalyptic infectious disease-themed drama that feels way too close to life to be entertainment. But we’ll watch anyway.

Dr. Brain

premwatch_drbrain2.jpg

Time slot: Thursday
Broadcaster: Apple TV+
Genre: Sci-fi, thriller, mystery
Episode count: 6

Reasons to watch: While Apple TV+’s first foray into the dramaverse (and their launch in South Korea) might be a giant question mark so far, at least they nailed the titling. I mean, was there ever a title that felt more like a K-drama than Dr. Brain? As to the actual story, it follows Lee Seon-kyun as our hero — a brain scientist who’s working to develop a way to access a person’s memories. This research comes in handy when he has to solve a mysterious incident that happens in his own family. Weird premise aside, the cast is enough to pique my interest — Lee Seon-kyun is joined by Seo Ji-hye, Lee Yoo-young, Park Hee-soon, Yoo Teo, and more. According to my calculations, this could either go in an awesome Inception direction, or become a confusing and cheesy mess. We shall see.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/11/premiere-watch-dr-brain-happiness/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Whoa! Sounds like the drama will explore human nature and emotions in addition to everything else we were already expecting. It's funny LSK picked director KJW as his inspiration for someone "without emotion." Haha... So he is playing a "cold" character again, isn't he? But I guess it's of a different flavor than Park Dong Hoon's aloofness, if that is even the correct description for PDH. 

From another article I gathered this could be a "healing" drama in its own way:

I'm getting more excited for this drama now! Love that it will explore emotions and that PDH, I mean, Sewon, starts out numb and cold and hopefully ends up passionate and "full" again. :wub::lol:

And for LSK to say that the story starts out cold but ends hot - whatever that means that sounds fantastic!

I also didn't realize his wife survives the accident. That's an interesting bit of news and it's nice to know there's the chance of her recovering and being reconciled to Sewon.

33 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

There are many more articles,

So good to hear! Finally there's some buzz around the show and reporters get to write some meaty articles.

I have heard of more online press conferences - probably because journalists are now everywhere in this global OTT market, and probably because with Covid they don't want a lot of people traveling to one place. I think it's a smart move, to give reporters real-time access to the actors and director no matter where the reporter is in the world. 

Thanks for the pics and the news! So glad to see more promotion dropping today.

• Like 2

Veteran filmmaker Kim Jee-woon feels 'like a rookie' before release of his first TV series

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Nov. 3 (Yonhap) -- Prolific filmmaker Kim Jee-woon said Wednesday he is nervous and excited like a rookie director ahead of the release of his TV series debut and the first Korean-language original of Apple TV+.

"I've worked only on films, and this is my first TV series," Kim said in a press conference streamed online to promote the sci-fi thriller "Dr. Brain." "Half concerned and half excited, I feel like I'm here to present my debut project."

Starring Lee Sun-kyun of "Parasite" (2019), "Dr. Brain" is based on a popular Korean webtoon of the same title. It revolves around Sewon, a genius cerebral scientist who is obsessed about figuring out new technologies to access the consciousness and memories of the brain.

After losing his family in mysterious circumstances, the cold-hearted and impassive scientist tries to link the brains of people involved in the events and collects their memories to get closer to the truth.

The six-episode show is the first Korean-language original produced by Apple TV+, which is set to officially launch its service in Korea on Thursday amid the worldwide spotlight on Korean content stemming from the survival drama "Squid Game" on Netflix.

Director Kim, who has made a number of critically and commercially acclaimed films, including the horror film "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003), the action thriller "I Saw The Devil" (2010) and the period thriller "The Age of Shadows" (2016), said he was impressed by the original webtoon by Hongjacga a few years ago.

"Its drawing style was very unique, and it looked like a graphic novel in a film noir style," he said. "The webtoon features the human desire to read people's thoughts and peek into their mind."

To adapt the web-based cartoon into a six-hour TV series, the director said he has created more intricate relationships among characters, along with multiple incidents surrounding Sewon, who faces his human and emotional deficiencies during a series of cerebral connection.

"The new series will portray the multiple layers of emotions and feelings that Sewon has while piecing together other people's memories," the director said. "I've tried hard to maintain the narrative tension and interest throughout the whole series."

Actor Lee Sun-kyun said the screenplay for "Dr. Brain" had caught his eye from the beginning for its fascinating mystery plot coupled with the unique subject of "brain science." It is his first project to be released since the Oscar-winning "Parasite" two years ago.

"The plot of the first episode was a bit difficult for me due to some science terms," he said. "But as the story goes on, I couldn't wait for the next episode, which was still in processing."

The actor said he also wants to contribute to the rising global popularity of Korean-made content with "Dr. Brain."

"It's an honor to take part in this project led by a big global company," he said. "I want to play a role in heating up the mood but feel some pressure at the same time."

"Dr. Brain" will be released on a weekly basis starting Thursday on Apple TV+.

Source: https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211103005600315?section=culture/entertainment

___

The part above caught my eye (in bold). Seems like the show gives a lot of weight to Sewon's inner journey if he has to face his "emotional deficiencies." The show sounds more intriguing than I first thought.

___

Also saw this short snippet:

Dr. Brain (Apple TV+, 12:01 a.m., series premiere): “The first Korean language drama to debut on Apple TV+, Dr. Brain is an intriguing blend of imaginative science-fiction and mystery. The show’s strongest facet is its protagonist Dr. Sewon Koh, who is quickly established as a former child prodigy with a traumatic past. He has an eidetic memory and strong math skills, but is unable to express any feelings. Series lead Lee Sun-kyun (Parasite) must carry scenes without emoting heavily, and the actor’s talent and charisma still shine through. His evocative work sets up the wild ride Sewon takes in season one.” Read the complete review on the site later today. Dr. Brain season one consists of six episodes, with new ones releasing every Wednesday through December 10.

Source: https://www.avclub.com/apple-tv-plus-launches-its-first-korean-language-origin-1847974637

spacer.png

Image source: https://zapzee.net/2021/11/03/apple-tv-pluss-first-original-korean-series-dr-brain-is-something-youve-never-seen-before/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I'm getting more excited for this drama now! Love that it will explore emotions and that PDH, I mean, Sewon, starts out numb and cold and hopefully ends up passionate and "full" again. :wub::lol:

Can't believe you put the words "passionate" and "full" next to each other like that. Excuse me while I rescue my mind from the gutter. :sweatingbullets: Can you imagine if he turns "hot" with respect to his wife? 

We'll see how well LSK plays a this "cold-hearted" character. Park Dong Hoon was numb but not exactly emotionless; he was good at hiding them, but somehow viewers could see the pain on his face. On the other hand, Sewon just sounds unaffected, unaware, oblivious, what have you. From the trailer, I have wondered to myself why he doesn't seem to be all that troubled for someone who has experienced a recent family tragedy. Would take a lot of acting skills to bring out the different types of "numb."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Can't believe you put the words "passionate" and "full" next to each other like that. Excuse me while I rescue my mind from the gutter.

Oh my gosh. That made me laugh so hard!! :joy:

I meant it very innocently, like: fully himself, emotionally present, experiencing his emotions fully....but when I read it again it does sound terrible! And what I wrote just now to explain it also doesn't sound great. Hahaha. No coming back from that one I guess.

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Park Dong Hoon was numb but not exactly emotionless; he was good at hiding them, but somehow viewers could see the pain on his face. On the other hand, Sewon just sounds unaffected, unaware, oblivious, what have you.

I think you're right - PDH had a lot of empathy even if he was repressing his own emotions. But Sewon is described as cold-hearted and lacking empathy. So they would be two very different characters.

Thanks for finding the video! Great to meet the actors and PDnim and hear more. It makes me laugh when LSK cracks himself up.

When the video you posted stopped, there was another one. I think this below is part 1, and the other video is part 2. So fun to be able to watch something that happened today! And some of the Google automatic subs are soo bad they're hysterical. Like, "That cow (speaking of a reporter) came to talk to me."

I was wrong about the press conference, though - seemed like the host already had questions prepared from reporters. I'd imagined that reporters could ask questions live like in a real press conference.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

You don't have to know Korean to fall in love with his voice.

So true! I wish I knew Korean so I could understand him, though, especially when he's making jokes. He seems like such an articulate, funny guy. Google automatic subs just do not cut it. :lol:

___

This is the second time I've seen that Dr Brain premieres today, November 3, in the USA.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/11/03/apple-tv-holds-press-event-for-dr-brain-on-day-of-us-premiere

And this article: https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2021/10/apple-original-series-dr-brain-to-premiere-globally-on-thursday-november-4-to-coincide-with-the-apple-tv-launch-in-south-korea/

“Dr. Brain,” a new six-episode Korean-language Apple Original series directed and executive produced by visionary filmmaker KIM Jee-woon, is set to premiere globally on Thursday, November 4 (Wednesday, November 3 in the US) on Apple TV+."

For us it for sure premieres tomorrow. But for those in the US - do you have it already??

Also from the above article, "Reviews are embargoed until November 3 at 2 p.m. PT / 5 p.m. ET in the US (November 4 at 6 a.m. KST in South Korea)."

Sounds like reviews will be coming out later today!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Reviews are out! They're a bit mixed....but I liked this one (below).

Also, I read in passing somewhere that Sewon is autistic!!

Review: ‘Dr. Brain,’ Your New South Korean TV Crush

In the afterglow of Netflix’s “Squid Game,” Apple TV+ premieres its first Korean-language series, a mind-melding sci-fi mystery.

By Mike Hale

Nov. 3, 2021, 1:18 p.m. ET

“Dr. Brain” has not received the launch that you might expect for a mini-series made by a significant South Korean filmmaker, one that’s an important building block in Apple TV+’s attempt to upgrade its international content. The show’s Thursday debut was announced less than two weeks ago, and even then, there was confusion about the actual date it would premiere in the United States. The ritual press day with cast and crew, just announced on Tuesday, is taking place a week after the premiere.

That seeming lack of planning could be a result of Apple focusing its attention on the show’s release in South Korea; “Dr. Brain,” created by Kim Jee-woon, is the service’s first original series from that country. But it’s hard not to suspect another culprit: Netflix’s “Squid Game,” and the sudden avalanche of attention it has brought to South Korean television drama. Maybe someone at Apple woke up and said, “Hey, we’ve got one of those, too!”

And the one they have is, in its relatively quiet and only slightly sensational way, better. Quiet and unsensational are not qualities always associated with Kim, who was happy to engage in excesses of gore or hyperbolic action in movies like “I Saw the Devil” and “The Good, the Bad, the Weird.” In “Dr. Brain,” he’s operating in a calmer, subtler mode reminiscent of his best work, the polished horror film “A Tale of Two Sisters.”

Kim has been a genre-hopper in his career, and the six-episode “Dr. Brain,” his first TV series, blends formats that he’s worked in before. In outline, it’s a straightforward mystery, as the brain scientist Sewon Koh (Lee Sun-kyun) searches for the son he thought he buried but who may be alive; he’s helped by a police officer, Lt. Choi (Seo Ji-hye), who’s initially skeptical but comes around to his side.

But it’s also a science-fiction story: Koh has developed a process for “syncing brain waves,” allowing him to tap into the memories of the recently dead. The fate of his son is wrapped up with a conspiracy involving this technology, and there’s a hubris-of-science theme that ties “Dr. Brain” to Dr. Frankenstein, at the high end, and the mid-1980s helmets-and-electrodes thrillers “Brainstorm” and “Dreamscape,” at the lower end.

Throw in some film noir embroidery, in the person of a laconic private eye (Park Hee-soon) who also helps Koh out, and you’ve got a genre stew. And that’s before you get to the mind-meld sequences, when Koh goes inside the heads of murder victims, random corpses and, in one droll sequence, a dead cat. Kim takes these as opportunities to inject visual pizazz into the generally naturalistic mise-en-scene, in the form of giallo and Asian-horror motifs. Finally, it would be a shame not to mention that melding with the cat gives Koh occasional access to feline powers of vision and agility, making him a part-time superhero.

That may make “Dr. Brain” sound like a mess, but it’s surprisingly coherent. Kim is firmly in control — his unobtrusive professionalism ensures that the shocks, reversals and revelations are part of a smooth, modulated ride. And that smoothness carries you past the nagging questions, mostly involving why someone didn’t do the obvious thing, that this sort of story tends to raise.

The real barrier to entry for some viewers may be the sentimentality of the season’s beginning and ending — the need for Korean TV dramas to assert themselves as soap operas to meet their domestic audience’s expectations. But Kim pours on less syrup than the norm, and for most of its run, “Dr. Brain” is a classy and absorbing entertainment.

Source: https://avantnews.org/2021/11/03/review-dr-brain-your-new-south-korean-tv-crush/

• Like 4

I am half curious half "scared" to read the early reviews. I don't want to be spoiled, but I also want to know what issues people are finding with the first episode. Still hoping the viewers are curious enough to check it out and stay for the rest of the series.

I have Apple TV ready to go but sadly may not have time to watch it until a tomorrow or worse, next week. :(

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I am half curious half "scared" to read the early reviews. I don't want to be spoiled, but I also want to know what issues people are finding with the first episode. Still hoping the viewers are curious enough to check it out and stay for the rest of the series.

Just a note: Don’t read the reviews if you don’t want to be too spoiled! A lot of reviewers got to watch the entire series already. :lol:

The review above was one that didn’t give too much away.

Hope you find the show on your menu again. For me it’s there on the “tv+” tab.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Just a note: Don’t read the reviews if you don’t want to be too spoiled! A lot of reviewers got to watch the entire series already. :lol:

The review above was one that didn’t give too much away.

Hope you find the show on your menu again. For me it’s there on the “tv+” tab.

Yeah, I see it now. I must have visited right at the moment they were moving it from "Coming Soon" to "New Releases."

How did reviewers get access to the whole series? With the potential for spoilers, how is that a good thing? And, sorry I can't help myself (I may regret asking this), do they mostly like it or not after watching the entire thing?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

How did reviewers get access to the whole series?

I read the following in this article https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2021/10/apple-original-series-dr-brain-to-premiere-globally-on-thursday-november-4-to-coincide-with-the-apple-tv-launch-in-south-korea/

"The complete first season of “Dr. Brain” is available to screen in the Apple TV+ screening room. If you need to activate an account, please email screeners@apple.com. Reviews are embargoed until November 3 at 2 p.m. PT / 5 p.m. ET in the US (November 4 at 6 a.m. KST in South Korea)."

21 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

do they mostly like it or not after watching the entire thing?

I read several positive ones! One "stream it or skip it?" told us to "stream it." And most say that visually it is very well done. A couple reviewers thought the storyline was too convoluted, and one person thought the 70-minute final episode was too long. :lol: Everyone says LSK does a great job.

I'm just so glad that there are now a bunch of articles/ reviews out there. The nice thing about it being on Apple TV and not on a local Korean station is that we get all this English-speaking media about it now. The review in the earlier post ....it's actually the NY Times review (but Avant News picked it up). It's great that the NYT is loving it - "That may make “Dr. Brain” sound like a mess, but it’s surprisingly coherent. Kim is firmly in control..."

And regarding spoilers...yeah...some things I wish I hadn't read. Just tidbits here and there. Not sure what the reasoning is behind watching the entire series and reviewing it vs. letting journalists review an episode at a time.

BTW - my ENTIRE day has been consumed with Dr. Brain. :D

• Like 3