[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

13 hours ago, lila21 said:

From what Jin Joo has said and done, she seems to be a character who strongly believes in the fairness of the judicial system of the government she works for. She works hard, is friendly and caring of the people she works with but also strongly cares for the job she does and what that job represents. That makes her a very strong opponent to Sun Ah when she gets to know her, but also to Yohan. If that is the case, then she is the character who can represent the statue carrying the weighing scale blindfolded in the hall of justice, best. I also now think that she will be the one to bring a change in Yohan to work together to restore a justice system that is free of influence of the other governing systems and politicians. Maybe Jin Joo and Yohan will end up as close friends after all. 

I am anticipating the story of Jin Joo, we have had enough of Gaon. 

I have the same thought too, i would like to know Jin Joo back story. But by looking at the planted storyline and the relationship diagram chart, it seems that Jin Joo does not play a significant role in the legitimacy of this revenge storyline and fairness system. If she is tempted by greed, she may join the Sun Ah team.

Greed is the most dangerous disease in the soul. It is the root of all evil. Once swayed by temptation (continuously distracted by Sun A), she may change her soul one day. I hope the writer can prove me wrong that she will be a determined person who stands firm, instead of standing in the gray line. 

My guess is that Yohan didn't include Jin Joo in his team, maybe because she didn't have enough hatred in her soul. Based on her words and actions in the previous EP, she is more like a sympathetic person that full with passion at work. Yohan's team members (shown in the fish aquarium scene) are the victims of unethical treatment who suffered a lot in the past. He needs to gather his team members (including Gaon and his assistant "K") who shared the common goals to reform the system. What exactly the system he wants, we are yet to find out. Using hatred is the most powerful tool to control people’s mentality so that he can execute his plans. Many politicians use this negative sentiment to incite riots and create chaos, because the top leaders know that hatred is the most destructive force on the planet. It does the most damage to those who harbour it. Yohan understands very well that making use of their hatred sentiment is the only driving force to reach out his goal. That's why he did not include Jin Joo in his team.

Let's see if Jin Joo jump ship, how would he respond in the next EP?:D

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Yohan understands very well that making use of their hatred sentiment is the only driving force to reach out his goal. That's why he did not include Jin Joo in his team.

Well said. Yohan is a masterful manipulator, starting from grade school where he had his whole class fight against each other. Now, he is doing it in a grand scale and seems to be enjoying it. 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Just watched ep1 of the drama... 

1. The president  is the guy who acted as the IT maniac in Taxi Driver! Urgh..  had a shock when i saw him:lol: i was expecting him to scream his head off...

2. Trial looks too simple? Hmm... wardrobe looks a bit off?

3. How come young judges (jinyong)are assisting the senior judge? 

4. Mere mention of Jang Ki Yong - the witness just made me laugh... Kiyong ah, you just completed your drama and hopefully enough rest before your 30th birthday soon .. then off to the military...

5. Jingyong love line should be with the police officer right.. she is cute enough..:D

----

Watching ep5... the flogging scene... honestly they dont do that in other countries. The way it was portrayed, its a matter of time before his back bones break..... in my country they dont use such a huge stick...

Ah.. that crazy president* is shouting as he is best at.... haha

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Sorry I haven't been active because I just got my health results from my doctor and right now trying to focus in getting better.  I'll post my thoughts from last week later tomorrow.  

All I can say is in the 1st part of the episode is that Soo Hyun is really annoying and way out of the line threaten to shoot Yohan when he tried to choke the guy instead of trying of calming down his temper.  She is really looking for any excuses to do it due to her obsessions towards the judge with Elijah watching.   I hated that she had no ounce of remorse or regret of endangering the young teenage girl and her uncle had every right to be angry. She is showing a horrible example of being the officer of the law.  Something I see  lot these days where I live.

I love Ga On being the peacemaker in this episode especially mending the relationship between Elijah, Yohan and the maid.   Glad he convince Elijah to call her uncle over dinner during his planning and he agreed choosing her request over his vengeance.

Yohan really is impressive in showing Ga On the true nature of their nemesis they'll face.  He finally faces the fraud who ruined his life and saw that he has now a wife and daughter during their interrogations.   His true face is revealed after set the cabin on fire choosing money over his family, proven that he hasn't changed at all.  Yohan showed Ga On that it was his own actions that save the wife and daughter now they saw the reality of the man they thought they knew.  A great closure for Ga On chapter with him returning all the stolen money to their rightful owners.

• Like 11
  • Blob 2

This drama makes it hard to like Soo Hyun a lot of the time.

Instead of thanking Yohan for pretty much saving her butt or apologizing to Yohan for putting Elijah at risk and leaving all alone to get physically assaulted, she instead points at gun at Yohan ten times longer than she needs to.

That's some mighty fine police work.
  • Like 8
  • Blob 2

Wow bravo to our Devil Team, Yo Han and Ga On, this episode!! :cutekitty:

From Yo Han showing the true nature of Do Young Choon to Ga On AND his family, choosing money over family, to Ga On deciding that getting revenge on him is not worth it and returning the money to all the people that Do Young Choon scammed. Anyone else loving Ga On and Yo Han as a duo?!

I love how Yo Han realizes what the light and happiness Ga On brings into the household and I bet that the family hasn’t had moments like that before Ga On came. I also really like how this episode shows the true nature of Elija and Yo Han and how kind they are at heart. It’s only because of the fire incident that happened years ago that they have this wall and face around them, but they are truly kind. I say this because the whole time they didn’t eat because the housemaid food isn’t good but they didn’t want to tell her that it’s bad because of all the hard work she put into cooking.

Finally I love how Yo Han shows Ga On “how things are done” haha, especially with the Secretary. Ga On bribed the secretary with money but Yo Han took out each gold bar as he refused which eventually got him to give in. There were many moments in this episode where it showed that Yo Han knows how human being true nature are and showing Ga On that.

Now that the chapter for Ga On past has closed, I guess we are going to see more about that obsessed and crazy group on social media that posts the videos and see what Yo Han will do with them. Also yeah me totally not liking Sun Ah at all… Same with Jin Joo, like girll you are on the WRONG side!!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

To echo @ferily 's thoughts on Yohan's human side. I especially enjoyed the exchange he had with Gaon in the present juxtaposed with Isaac in the past.

He remarked, "As expected, you're just like him... You only believe in what you see."

And we cut to Isaac's misunderstand about Yohan's interaction with Sun Ah, while Yohan remained silent. The poor boy didn't say anything because he knows they won't believe him even if he tells the truth. Humans are easily swayed by their own biases, and often times despite of what they see/witness. This is the first insight.

Despite Isaac's biased view of Yohan, he continued to love and nurture him. He gave him a chance at redemption by offering a pact with him to never harm innocent people. Yohan made the promise without hesitance. From his perspective and (pessimistic) understanding of the world, such a person doesn't exist, so he would never break this promise. This is the second insight.

Yohan has always acted and planned according to these two insights ever since. That he possessed a deep understanding of humanity at such a young age must've isolated him from his peers and those around him.

I'm so impressed by how much is layered into this scene, and how Yohan's character was explained with barely a few spoken lines and interlaced with the flashback. AND we also have Gaon's discovery of Elijah and Yohan's true hearts purely by accident with the maid's cooking. I have to give it to the writers for some of the best writing for this show so far! :wub:

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

When i saw this episode (not to mentioned ive downloaded it twice, yet still blank subs, ha... resorted to streaming it)... it has some Vincenzo similarities

1. The car looks like Vincenzo's? That has been bugging me since a few episodes back

2. The fire - vincenzo was big on fire

3. The gold... 

4. The lighter

5. The money.... 

Ha.. tvn production after all...

And yes, i agree with everyone who said disagree with Soo Hyun's action... aiming the gun at YoHan far to long... her suspicion of him hasnt really been resolved perhaps Gaon should have told her that he is the good guy.

The drama aims to show how Gaon's matured is it... hmm..he would have more character *growth than anyone in this drama i believe... 

Elijah, sounds like she is a IT genious (again Vincenzo's feel?)  need to see what she can do... also, she had suspicion on her uncle as well? I wish her POV should also be shared with the audience... she should call him *Samcheon?*... 

• Blob 2

I like the unfolding or revelation of the changes in Yohan and Sun Ah and the difference between their mental and emotional growth, 2 people from different backgrounds who suffered child abuse yet grew up taking positions of influential power.

The first insight for Yohan was in the episode where he imagined himself as the child being flogged by his father and his brother Isaac stopping his father. But at that moment like a flash, he had a deep psychological inspiration and changed the scene. He saw himself, as an adult holding the flogging hand of his father and saying, “stop it, don’t hurt me.” At that moment, instead of blaming his past and his father, he took responsibility. He no longer was beholden to his past, he was in control, he freed himself from the physical and emotional grip of his past with his father and no longer needed Isaac as a crutch. It was a moment of rebirth. It happened after a confrontational conversation with Gaon, when Gaon said that Yohan did not want to see and heal the wounds of his psyche.

The 2nd time was again during a conversation with Gaon, but in a friendlier and more relaxed atmosphere. After he recalled a past conversation with his brother, Isaac, who made assumptions that Yohan was to blame for what happened to Sun Ah and told Yohan not to punish the innocent. Yohan came out of his reverie and said, “no one is born innocent”. That again is a very deep metaphysical/spiritual insight of a human’s mental and psychological make-up and of “do unto others what you want done unto you.” From a deep understanding of that premise, comes empathy. I think Yohan has changed or is changing and will be a different judge from the past because it no longer is about revenge or proving himself to be right, being a hero of the downtrodden, or a game but will be about being a fair judge as much as possible, especially now that the publicly televised trial has resumed. In a way, he is going to become the judge that Professor Min has predicted, the one to change the justice system of the country. I really hope they will convince Judge Min to work with them if they are going to change the Justice System.

Gaon is lucky to have 2 mentors, because from both, he can refine his understanding of justice. He is annoyingly and mindlessly judgmental of both his mentors at times because he is inexperienced, however, he is the character through whom we get to know Yohan better and because of Gaon’s likeness to his brother, Yohan was inspired to have these insights.

Sun Ah on the other hand also plays dangerous games and has carried bitter vendetta in her heart. She also rose from her humble beginnings to become the Director of a powerful foundation with politicians including the President of the country, businessmen and a Minister of the justice department as members. She made the so called “spiritual leader” who was a repeat sexual offender who victimized her when she was very young, the head of the foundation. He is old and a victim of Sun Ah’s abuse and cold-blooded swath of revenge. He is now dead, killed by Sun Ah and Sun Ah took over the reins of the foundation. Unlike Yohan who is learning and growing from his horrific past, Sun Ah is driven by her past to become a soulless exploiter and has not had the courage to pause and “look at her wounds”, as Gaon put it. She blames others instead, even blaming Yohan for being kicked out of the mansion and has difficulty taking responsibility for her actions. She seems to have an affinity for women especially for the young and abused girls who are sponsored by the foundation, but instead of offering therapy, she encourages revenge and violence. She is now tempting Yohan with the offer of using the foundation to help him become the president in the upcoming elections in 2 years. She uses power and money to assuage the bottomless pit and pain in herself through manipulation and revenge. She offered to “help” to promote the live court. She also lit the fire of ambition in Jin Joo whom we see during the promotional shooting nudged Yohan to change places to be in the middle where the head of trial court stands. Is that a sign that she wanted to be the lead judge? I am thinking we will hear Jin Joo’s story soon. I really hope Jin Joo is a better judge of character and will not become a victim of Sun Ah's games. 

The drama has begun. Yohan has shot his first salvo against Sun Ah, by giving her bio to Cha and investigating the Foundation privately. At the same time he has an associate attorney from a legal firm getting information from prosecutors about Cha. And he bought Cha's personal secretary's loyalty with gold bars in exchange for info about dirt on Cha who is revealed to be the one who released the conman who duped families including Gaon's parents. Now, that conman is caught. Is he going to be the one to be tried and therefore implicate Cha? Yohan will make Sun Ah and Cha fight each other. Divide and conquer? I also love that after the conman was caught and crying on the ground, Yohan gave Gaon a choice to execute his own justice by giving Gaon a boxcutter. Was that a test for Gaon? In the end, Gaon realized that the conman was the means to get to Cha and put the boxcutter away. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Ji Sung Pours Fuel On The Fire In Kim Min Jung And Jang Young Nam’s Fight For Power In “The Devil Judge”

c6600a0b3116437182fa36f37fae50be.jpeg?s=

Aug 1, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s “The Devil Judge” has revealed new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

“The Devil Judge” is set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

Previously, while convicting the scam artist Do Young Chun (Jung Eun Pyo), Kang Yo Han discovered his close ties with the Attorney General Cha Kyung Hee (Jang Young Nam), who helped him escape the net of the law. Cha Kyung Hee is also an important figure in the Social Responsibility Foundation, which is known as the driving force of the country’s judicial department. Catching on to Cha Kyung Hee’s weak point, Kang Yo Han used this to rile up the members of the greedy cartel.

In addition, the relationship between Cha Kyung Hee and Jung Sun Ah (Kim Min Jung), who took the spot of the Foundation’s chairwoman, appears to be crumbling. Cha Kyung Hee habitually ignored Jung Sun Ah, who intentionally excluded her from matters concerning the Foundation, and the pair fell into conflict.

This animosity between the pair is an important playing card for Kang Yo Han. Perfectly analyzing Cha Kyung Hee’s thirst for revenge, Kang Yo Han pushed for a background check on Jung Sun Ah after pushing for one on the president. It was revealed through this that Jung Sun Ah had previously been a maid at a mansion, igniting a fire between the two of them.

Ji-Sung-Kim-Min-Jung-Jang-Young-Nam-2.jp

With Kang Yo Han pouring fuel on the fire in the conflict between Cha Kyung Hee and Jung Sun Ah, it remains to be seen how their dispute will be affected. Will their strategical alliance break down, or will they consider the pros and cons to form a new conspiracy?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1481750wpp/ji-sung-pours-fuel-on-the-fire-in-kim-min-jung-and-jang-young-nams-fight-for-power-in-the-devil-judge

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

22 hours ago, Kvothe said:
This drama makes it hard to like Soo Hyun a lot of the time.

@Kvothe IKR, she has no story that contributes to the drama. 

This is getting soooo good!!

Yohan and Sung Ah look sooo sexy trying to bully/threaten each other. Yohan has the upperhand though because he is saner and more emotionally balanced than Sun Ah who has unrequited fatal attraction for Yohan which makes her vulnerable but maybe more desperate and dangerous.

Between Cha and Sung Ah, who to bet on?

Cha is more experienced and politically connected and is the Minister of Justice Department. Sun Ah is now the head of the foundation and also has her people but she might not have the backing of the Foundation if Cha reveals her background. Both of them want to hold on to their positions. Sun Ah though is crazier and more unpredictable. Interesting though how Sun Ah does all these yoga and trained her body but not her mind, nor her emotions. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, lila21 said:

Between Cha and Sung Ah, who to bet on?

Cha is more experienced and politically connected and is the Minister of Justice Department. Sun Ah is now the head of the foundation and also has her people but she might not have the backing of the Foundation if Cha reveals her background. Both of them want to hold on to their positions. Sun Ah though is crazier and more unpredictable. Interesting though how Sun Ah does all these yoga and trained her body but not her mind, nor her emotions. 

I'm betting on Cha Kyung Hee - although in the end, they're both doomed

Sun-Ah for all her sultry, sly, conniving, is still too unhinged at the mere mention of her time as a maid - she's a well polished loose canon.  Nevermind the fact that Yo-Han is her kryptonite.

Cha Kyung Hee is far more focused and well centered. She is angered at set backs, but doesn't allow that anger to consume her better judgement.  I love the actress playing her - Jang Young-Nam - she just channels malevolence incredibly well ... the entire scene in Sun-Ah's apartment was an great example. 

Per preview it looks the next episode will ratchet up the intensity - another long wait for the next episode 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

OMG...I literally get goosebumps when I saw the guy crazy......

Spoiler

for his burning money when his family was crying for help.......and Yohan pushing the drama to go on to show his super ugly ways towards his family....while my anxiety raised for the safety of his family (though I know they would somewhat be safe based on Yohan's calmness.

My goosebumps is a show of extreme disgust for this guy and a chill reaction from my body on how the true colours of this sick person defied the fact that we are supposed to be more advanced in behaviour than beasts.

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

I guess most viewers may enjoy the last part fire scene (very dramatic scene), however, I loved the most that Yohan mentioned : "People felt painful when they lose everything they possessed". 

My favorite and best scene was the use of gold bullion temptation/bribery method :- Increase and decrease psychology method. When enough is not enough: Overgaining wealth as a manifestation of dispositional greed.  However, Yohan was using the method of fear factor psychology - fear of losing beloved possession (in the fire and gold bar scenes, for them, there are precious material wealth). The best part is that people feel inner pain/loss when their possession have them snatched out. The use of "reduction/removal" method is one of the best scenarios for describing human nature: possession.

If greed can't buy a person's heart, Yohan is using reverse psychology to take away what they shouldn't have - I love how this writer uses the fear factor of human nature. If a person has nothing and nothing to lose, he/she may not be tempted by this method.

EP 9 (my favourite storyline thus far) - This story vividly depicts the more we have (tangible and intangible assets), the more we are afraid of losing and letting go. This is the greatest weakness of all mankind. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Can't wait for the next episode.

In the preview there is a young woman stepping down the stairway, Yohan's face looked surprised, almost shocked  and a smug look of satisfaction on Sun Ah's face, smiling and raising her shoulders, as if saying "got yah". Who is the woman and what does Sun Ah know that Yohan did not?

This is what I have been waiting for, psychological warfare between Cha, Yohan and Sun Ah 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

I found this week's episodes much better than last week's ones. Maybe its because the drama slightly drifted away from main plot trying to show Ga On struggling with his thoughts and deciding to side with Yo Han. 

Talking about episode 9, while we are seeing some development happening in Ga On, I am yet to see it happen in Soo Hyun's case. Not really liking her character here, and also a bit disappointed that there was almost no character development for her yet. Firstly she just like Ga On is suspicious of Yo Han because of someone else's suspicions on him, who in this case happens to be Ga On himself. But she is going a bit too far here. Firstly she needs to understand why Yo Han acted that way, and of course it was right that she tried to stop him. But continuing to point gun at him after he left that dude, as if Yo Han was a dangerous criminal was kinda stupid in my opinion. Not sure how she sees him, but she didn't even think why Yo Han was acting that way. 

What I further didn't like was the fact that she wasn't really sorry for the danger she put Elijah in. I don't really understand why she wasn't really sorry and acting all righteous in front of Yo Han. But that guy had warned her once about meeting with Elijah, and it was because of the same thing. He knows who he is up against, and they also know Elijah is the only family he has and may go for him, which they did in the past as Yo Han said. So of course the least Soo Hyun could do was say sorry for putting her in danger. Plus well, Yo Han literally saved them, and I don't really know what would happen if he wouldn't arrive there. 

Anyway, moving on from Soo Hyun, I liked how Ga On stepped up to get info from Cha Kyung Hee's secretary (or who ever he was), and Yo Han entering the scene later almost sure that he must have failed in doing so :joy:

Its good to see them working together, and Yo Han's method of making the guy talk was very smart. He caught everyone off guard there, and the secretary didn't know what was happening and suddenly changed. 

While I also had my eye brows raised during that fire scene, but I also had idea that Yo Han wouldn't really put innocent people in danger like that, especially with Ga On around since he got him on his side by working too hard and this one thing would make Ga On against him. But it was also necessary to show dude's real face to his family and everyone around. Also Yo Han and Ga On sending money back to the victims was something I didn't really expect but was very happy to see it happen. I think this would make Ga On trust Yo Han a bit more. 

I need more solid reason for Sun Ah acting this way and being the ultimate baddie so far. I am getting tired of "I am gonna get Young Master, and that house" thing. She needs to have a more solid reason for what she is doing right now. She is playing a kingmaker here, the person behind the puppet President, so I hope she does have a better reason for doing it all. 

Elijah and Yo Han are good people deep down. They continued to eat nanny's Korean food for a long time without even telling her that it doesn't taste good, only because they appreciated her putting so much effort in preparing it. I wonder though, since when Yo Han stopped her from making them. 

Talking about Elijah, she is quite smart for her age. Of course it was already implied since she is already a university student despite being that young, but apart from her hacking skill, what impressed me was her social skills. How quick she was to come up with a way to open that shutter by calling the security guys. When the shutter opened, I was like "No, how can she open it like that", and was happy that it didn't go that way. 

The trial caught all of them off guard in my opinion. Of course with that lawyer there, we all knew not many things would work for Choong Shik, but I never expected it to go that way and end that way. Yo Han kept his promise to Sun Ah :joy:

I wonder though, who that girl is that Sun Ah brings saying "She is fake witness Yo Han brought" (something similar to this), was she the young actress that Yo Han used during Cha Kyung Hee's son's case? Or is this some other scheme Sun Ah has come up with to go after Yo Han. For now Cha Kyung Hee and Sun Ah seem to be at each other's throats, but I think they would team up against him very soon. They both know that he will be after them, and enemy of enemy is my friend. Sun ah will not get anything by going against Cha Kyung Hee, but if they are together they will be a strong team. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1