[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

1 hour ago, Di_Ya said:

EDIT:

Can anyone explain me the situation with the firefighter? Does Kang Yo-Han went after him just because he'd stole his brother watch? That's... weird. Were both of those scene to picture him as a sociopath (otherwise his action does not make sense), or was it because the firefighter didn't check on his brother, and Kang Yo-Han thought Isaac was still alive and the man ignored the dying person for his own greed? 

The firefighter came and juste stole Kang Yo-Han's brotehr watch. He did not even look if the brother was still alive, or even help Kang Yo-Han and Elijah to get out of the church, while his job is to save people not stole them. So in the present, Kang Yo-Han wanted his brother's watch back. The firefighter felt from the roof, and Kang Yo-Han did not try to save him like in the past when the firefighter did not help him and Elijah in the church.  It is how I see it.

Seems to be all about revenge for him. He gave the flagellation as sentence for the ministry of justice 's son  probbaly because, in the chuch the ministry of justice was responsible of Elijah being in a weelchair. He probably wanted this woman to endure the same pain with her son.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

The Devil Judge: Episode 4

by quirkycase

DJ04-00417.jpg

Our secretive judge introduces his innocent colleague to a whole new world, one for which he’s highly unprepared. Everyone is working toward their own agenda, willing to sacrifice most anything to get to the top. If he’s not careful, our naïve judge is going to unwittingly get himself swept up into their schemes. Meanwhile, the People’s Live Court concludes its next trial in a stunning fashion that might signal a big change in the way justice is served.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

DJ04-00047.jpg

Once again, the PD is thrilled with the ratings for the trial. His crew even follows the judges out with a camera, capturing a surefire hit moment when Jin-joo apologizes for not having faith in today’s trial. Yo-han tells her to raise her head because they’re a team.

When he returns to his office, Yo-han takes a call from Minister Cha. She argues Young-min just has trouble handling his anger sometimes, but he’s not a bad kid. She wants to talk in person, so they meet on a secluded rooftop.

Minister Cha is sure Yo-han is using her son to get to her, so what does he really want? She can offer up chaebols and company presidents if he’s looking to win the support of the public.

Yo-han brings up a case from 19 years ago where Minister Cha prosecuted a politician for taking bribes while knowing he was innocent. After the guilty verdict, the politician committed suicide, leaving a teenage son behind. Has she once thought about that as she climbed higher in her career?

If she publicly confesses the truth of that case, Yo-han promises to let her son go. Minister Cha gets in her car and leaves without responding.

Yo-han’s lackey comes up, having witnessed the exchange. “Thank you,” he says with tears rolling down his face. Yo-han grips his shoulder comfortingly.

Back at the mansion, Ga-on enters the locked room using a set of keys he must’ve gotten from the housekeeper. He wanders through the room covered in plastic and picks up the family photo of Isaac with little Elijah and her mom.

Suddenly, a glass flies past Ga-on’s head and shatters on the wall. He turns to see Elijah seething. She screams at him to get out and cries as she stares at the photo.

Yo-han arrives home and heats up a frozen dinner. Ga-on is surprised to see him eating alone in this big house, but Yo-han doesn’t see the issue with being alone. “The most dangerous and toxic thing in the world is a human being.”

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/07/the-devil-judge-episode-4/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

Im not sure if Gaon is just provoking Yohan or he really thinks Yohan killed Isaac.

Its a little weird to accuse someone just based on some stories.

Gaon and Yohan have a great chemistry on the screen, their scenes are so powerful.

• Blob 2

6 hours ago, Di_Ya said:

In the end I've looked into Kang Yo-Han's name, and found it's origin. So, yeah. 

It's honestly just me, and this is likely not possible or probable, or makes much sense, but the elites in this show are just the means to reach Jung Sun-A or who ever is behind her, because

Can't wait for the next episode.

EDIT:

Can anyone explain me the situation with the firefighter? 

The show has a LOT of explaining to do, right now things are half-baked. Let's see if it makes some sense tomorrow. :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

13 minutes ago, noor1 said:

The show has a LOT of explaining to do, right now things are half-baked. Let's see if it makes some sense tomorrow. :kiss_wink:

The biggest reason against watching any drama before it's finished. Idk it's either my first and last time, or I'll get used to discussing it (dumping my chaotic flow of thoughts?) here.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

8 hours ago, Di_Ya said:

Can anyone explain me the situation with the firefighter? Does Kang Yo-Han went after him just because he'd stole his brother watch? That's... weird. Were both of those scene to picture him as a sociopath (otherwise his action does not make sense), or was it because the firefighter didn't check on his brother, and Kang Yo-Han thought Isaac was still alive and the man ignored the dying person for his own greed? 

The firefighter's death was wrong, but I can't be too mad at Yo-han about it. A firefighter is supposed to save lives but that guy not only ignored Isaac but Yo-han and Elijah too. He walked past an injured man and child to steal a watch. I thought Yohan's actions made complete sense. What did he say to Ga-on when talking about the rich and poor? "All human beings are equal when faced with temptation." He saw that firsthand in what were probably the worst moments of his life. Not surprising that he hunted the firefighter down, just like he's hunting others down.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

Im not sure if Gaon is just provoking Yohan or he really thinks Yohan killed Isaac.

Gaon and Yohan have a great chemistry on the screen, their scenes are so powerful.

Their chemistry is OFF-THE-CHARTS!! I'm really enjoying the synergy between the two and I'm honestly waiting for the episode we see the two of them working together :cutekitty: (I swear I'm getting Beyond Evil vibes here)

58 minutes ago, Di_Ya said:

The biggest reason against watching any drama before it's finished. Idk it's either my first and last time, or I'll get used to discussing it (dumping my chaotic flow of thoughts?) here.

Hahaha I agree with you. I like to binge watch kdramas most of the time because I can never wait an week for episodes!! Sometimes if the cliffhanger is reallyy bad for an episode, I have a hard time sleeping the night before the episode

@lila21 I agree with you that the writer is using Ga On to unfold Yo Han's story and see what kind of person / character Yo Han is!

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Both. Gaon tends to fly off the handle without factchecking. In episode 1 he agreed to spy on his boss, whom he hadn't met yet, when his mentor asked him to do so. The mentor implied that Yohan is dangerous, without actually having specific examples. Gaon immediately agreed to be Judas, without researching the guy himself. 

Episode 2: I think his new colleague Jinju tells Gaon that Yohan comes from a rich background, but that he is the sole survivor. Then they go to dinner, where he immediately insults Yohan for being rich and "growing up with silver spoon" and that Yohan's father is a soulless loan shark who gets people killed, basically. 

Also the priest tells Gaon how Yohan is a monster, which he later tells the nanny. 

Now Episode 4, he hears the story about Isaac from the nanny and that Yohan somehow became heir instead of rightful heir Isaac. Once again he insults/confronts Yohan.  

Then Yohan tells him his side of the story. Now preview shows Gaon believing Yohan's story. 

Honestly, Gaon just runs off like an overeager puppy. He has 0 investigative skill, not to mention his lack of judgment required for his job.

What Gaon really has is his naivety. I look forward to the day he will be schooled in life. Instead of monochrome, he needs to see in colours. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, qynn said:

I thought Yohan's actions made complete sense.

If you count the parallels and add the part with the maid from nanny's story, it's pretty obvious, yet I kind of didn't caught it earlier. 

1 hour ago, ferily said:

Sometimes if the cliffhanger is reallyy bad for an episode, I have a hard time sleeping the night before the episode

If the cliffhanger is bad (actually good, as it's role is full-filed) I can't stop thinking about it after watching the episode. It's rare, because I try to stay on the completed drama's side, by on occasion there are exceptions, which leads to 'this here' (a'ka me all over the place in the thread) - only it was on different place some time ago... What you can't deny is that k-drama writers know how to make cliffhangers working.  

9 hours ago, Pitchoum said:

He probably wanted this woman to endure the same pain with her son.

If he did that to avenge Elijah's pain, then why did he gave the Minister Cha a choice? If she'd agree, then how would he do to actually cause her this kind of guilt? Assuming that he did it to just push her more into the gamble, and expected nothing more from her. But his surprise during the press conference looked if not genuine then at least not totally fake. Or maybe it's just me. 

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Like 1
  • Blob 2

I have to say I love this concept with the main female lead as the antagonist instead of the love interest or the heroine of the drama.  After all this time, I wanted to see the lead woman being the main nemesis or the Dragon lady role in the Korean drama.

It seems the Devil Judge focuses on the bromance and the chemistry of the 2 lead male leads with Jin Young playing 2 characters, one who had a strong impact on Jisung's character motivations from the past and the other being his character foil in the present due to his resemblance and naivety to the world.  Something we usually see in the heroine role. 

Yo Han is the perfect mix of a calm collective judge who unleash his hysterical predator side when he hunts down his targets.  He's a troubled sociopathic person due to his father abuses and his brother is the only family who encourages him.  Those arrogant rotten riches destroyed his brother dream, his family and their future and he is determine to avenge him by giving them the same karmas.   That is when Ga On comes along and unknowingly has the spitting image of his deceased brother causes him to doubt himself. 

I hope there is no clichés such as Ga On is related to him. 

The pre clip of episode 5 is out and wow, it's getting hot in here

Yo Han: I'm used to people seeing me as a monster.  But when you look at me like that with

your face...my heart hurts a little. :fullofhearts: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 1

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/112/0003456798?lfrom=twitter

Translation 

Spoiler

[Today TV] 'Devil Judge' Ji Sung, tears at the welcome of his dead brother.. The soft side is revealed

spacer.png

[Herald POP = Reporter Jeong Hye-yeon] Ji-sung faced the dead brother he had dreamed of.

In the tvN Saturday drama 'Devil Judge' (played by Moon Yoo-seok / directed by Choi Jeong-gyu / produced by Studio Dragon, Studio & New), the scene where Judge Kang Yo-han (Ji Sung) met his deceased brother, Kang Isaac (Jinyoung) was captured, which is breaking its own highest ratings every episode. and catches the eye.

In the first published photo, Yo-Han's disorganized appearance, such as flowing hair and a face stained with tears, doubles the sense of heterogeneity. He is drawing more attention as he is even crying while he is 180 degrees away from his flawless figure with a sword-like style.

In particular, in the first 'National Demonstration Trial', after pretending to comfort the victim's family, he yawned and shed tears surprise him, but his expression that touches his suffering like this is the first time since his brother's death, so it makes me feel even more pitiful.

Above all, the cause of the collapse of Kang Yo-han is the fact that his brother, Isaac Kang, appeared like a vision in front of him, adding to the feeling of sadness. Even in a fantasy that is not real, Isaac Kang, who is engulfed in a flame that is not a comfortable place, seems to project the guilt of Kang Yo-han for not keeping his promise to save.

His older brother, Isaac Kang, is the only person who warmly cared for Kang Yo-han, who had a miserable childhood who was also abused by his parents. The situation in which Isaac Kang is left with a deep wound in his heart for Yo-Han, who lost his older brother in front of his eyes and saw every aspect of the ugly side of the Foundation personnel.

This raises the question of why he was tormented by such illusions. Kim Ga-on (Jinyoung), a judge who was staying at Kang Yo-han's house after a bomb accident, provoked him to say that he killed his brother. It raises speculation that the inner heart of Kang Yo-han, who was suppressed by Kim Ga-on's words, may have burst, and makes me want to see the next episode soon.

On the other hand, the weak side of the devil judge Ji-sung can be seen in the 5th episode of tvN's Saturday-Sunday drama 'Devil Judge', which will be broadcast at 9:10 pm on the 17th (Sat).

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, agenth said:

Both. Gaon tends to fly off the handle without factchecking. In episode 1 he agreed to spy on his boss, whom he hadn't met yet, when his mentor asked him to do so. The mentor implied that Yohan is dangerous, without actually having specific examples. Gaon immediately agreed to be Judas, without researching the guy himself. 

Episode 2: I think his new colleague Jinju tells Gaon that Yohan comes from a rich background, but that he is the sole survivor. Then they go to dinner, where he immediately insults Yohan for being rich and "growing up with silver spoon" and that Yohan's father is a soulless loan shark who gets people killed, basically. 

Also the priest tells Gaon how Yohan is a monster, which he later tells the nanny. 

Now Episode 4, he hears the story about Isaac from the nanny and that Yohan somehow became heir instead of rightful heir Isaac. Once again he insults/confronts Yohan.  

Then Yohan tells him his side of the story. Now preview shows Gaon believing Yohan's story. 

Honestly, Gaon just runs off like an overeager puppy. He has 0 investigative skill, not to mention his lack of judgment required for his job.

What Gaon really has is his naivety. I look forward to the day he will be schooled in life. Instead of monochrome, he needs to see in colours. 

I finally managed to catch up till Ep 4.

From Ep 1 to Ep 4..Ga On practically makes lots of silly mistakes, as @Sleepy Owl mentioned, he is too young , inmatured & inexperience to handle cases and jump into conculsion without further findings. He is not thinking and believes what he sees with his own eyes without facts.

He is too naive , still a long way to learn from Yo-Han the environments in actual working life.

• Blob 2

12 hours ago, ferily said:

I agree with you that the writer is using Ga On to unfold Yo Han's story and see what kind of person / character Yo Han is!

and now, I think it will be the other way around, now that we know about Yo Han, it will be through him that we will find out about Ga On and Sun Ah. Yo Han's inter-actions with both will reveal to us who they are and their importance in his life and in the story. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mystic62 said:

I have to say I love this concept with the main female lead as the antagonist instead of the love interest or the heroine of the drama.  After all this time, I wanted to see the lead woman being the main nemesis or the Dragon lady role in the Korean drama.

It seems the Devil Judge focuses on the bromance and the chemistry of the 2 lead male leads with Jin Young playing 2 characters, one who had a strong impact on Jisung's character motivations from the past and the other being his character foil in the present due to his resemblance and naivety to the world.  Something we usually see in the heroine role. 

Yo Han is the perfect mix of a calm collective judge who unleash his hysterical predator side when he hunts down his targets.  He's a troubled sociopathic person due to his father abuses and his brother is the only family who encourages him.  Those arrogant rotten riches destroyed his brother dream, his family and their future and he is determine to avenge him by giving them the same karmas.   That is when Ga On comes along and unknowingly has the spitting image of his deceased brother causes him to doubt himself. 

I hope there is no clichés such as Ga On is related to him. 

The pre clip of episode 5 is out and wow, it's getting hot in here

Yo Han: I'm used to people seeing me as a monster.  But when you look at me like that with

your face...my heart hurts a little.  

I bolded some parts of what you said because I 100 percent agree! I really really hope that there is no relation between Yo Han and Ga On either, just the resemblance of Ga On and Isaac. I won't be surprised if that's the route that the writer is going -- bringing someone that looks similar (well exactly like Isaac since it's the same actor :lol:) to Isaac to challenge Yo Han and really question his motives and actions in present day. However, at the same time, I feel like because Ga On is righteous, just, and naive, he might fall into Yo Han's trap.

In the pre-released Episode 5 clip, Yo Han does say, "I'm used to people seeing me as a monster, but when you look at me like that with that face, my heart hurts a bit." BUT right after that, in his head he proceeds to say, "If I say it like this then he will waver", which goes to show that Yo Han is trying to trick and deceive Ga On. In a way using him to do something he may want. (I don't know what the context of the clip is but maybe that's the goal)

Okay guys, but the REAL QUESTION is, is our boy Ga On still staying at Yo Han's house even though he's all better?!?!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, mystic62 said:

Thank you  for saying what I wanted to convey. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, ferily said:

In the pre-released Episode 5 clip, Yo Han does say, "I'm used to people seeing me as a monster, but when you look at me like that with that face, my heart hurts a bit." BUT right after that, in his head he proceeds to say, "If I say it like this then he will waver", which goes to show that Yo Han is trying to trick and deceive Ga On. In a way using him to do something he may want. (I don't know what the context of the clip is but maybe that's the goal)

Exactliy. In the episode where his office was bombed Yo Han had his man follow the detective girlfriend of Gaon who told hiim that Gaon's girlfriend had a lead on who it was. However, the girlfriend detective did not have a warrant when she went to question the man. Yo Han followed the lead to get the info (roughly) and was told that the order was from the foundation. So, yeah, he has his reasons for keeping Gaon within reach and he knows Gaon is easy. Especially with a detective girlfriend who seems not to know procedures. Bad for Gaon, good for Yohan. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

Ji Sung Is Haunted By His Dead Brother GOT7’s Jinyoung In “The Devil Judge”

c228e238fcf445ca8c0170443f9b9ec1.jpeg?s=

Jul 17, 2021
by L. Kim

The Devil Judge” unveiled new stills of Ji Sung and GOT7’s Jinyoung!

The tvN drama is set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

On July 17, “The Devil Judge” shared a glimpse of Kang Yo Han’s dreams.

Kang Yo Han usually has a very flawless appearance, but in the new stills, his face is stained with distressed tears, and his hair is in a disarray. His vulnerable side seems to come out whenever his dead half-brother Kang Isaac (Jinyoung) is involved.

Spoiler

ji-sung-12.jpg

got7-jinyoung-1.jpg

ji-sung-21.jpg

got7-jinyoung-2.jpg

Kang Isaac was the one who had protected Kang Yo Han from their abusive father. When the fire erupted at the church that day, Kang Yo Han had promised to come back to save Kang Isaac, but the building caved in, and he wasn’t able to keep his promise.

Perhaps this guilt is the reason why Kang Yo Han is so tormented. Even in his dreams, Kang Isaac is engulfed in flames, and his expression is blank with emotions. Why is Kang Yo Han suffering from these dreams of Kang Isaac? Is it because Kim Ga On’s (Jinyoung’s) words caused his suppressed emotions to burst out?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 1

Hm, when is comes to script, this drama is pretty average (in K-drama standards).

There is a character driven by revenge, there is a character that serves as viewer's eyes and incarnation (who is against avenging because it's a vicious circle without end), also a total opposite to the avenger, there is an opponent who is basically similar to the main character, yet through the story villains basically remain the same in they believes, where the main character will change to be worth viewer's support (and time invested in watching the show). That,' beautiful concept of redemption and stuff. 

Also, the second lead needs some development, which create the opportunity to set them up against the main lead and also change, because they needs to be strong and more mature for the things to work, otherwise they somewhat childish points of view prevent them from being victorious against the villain. And make viewers disappointed in betting on the wrong horse. 

It's pretty standard script. Nothing to look forward, if one likes challenges born from the mystery or thriller...

What should make it better are small things, characters actions that's ground them in reality their existing, living, and working in, also actors performance and the unique approach of the subject.

I'm still looking for those qualities within the script, because the cinematic part is exceptional, actors suits their roles, gives as a lot of emotions, and get us through the events with good measure of conflicting thoughts.

Yet the script is still weak and not catching up with the rest, it's lacking in almost every area, except maybe conflict, and I'm not sure if it's not because the actors effort more than scriptwriters conscious actions.

The overall symbolism is also nice, gives the hidden context that may reveal some truths. But it pretty hard to handle and might be a downfalls later. 

That's why looking from this angle is a bit disappointing to me. I prefer to see it as characters actions and thought inside the reality of the story (it's a lot more fun that way, don't you think?).

I know why Kim Ga-On is the way he is from script's points of view ( complete opposite of Kang Yo-Han, a man that we could relay on, who is the quiet hero and the power to be awaken and makes things the way they should be from right reasons), but it doesn't change the fact that he's not really well written (annoying on the wrong parts, he should be annoying while challenging the sympathy for Kang Yo-Han, makes viewer a bit embarrassed to find it more appealing than the lawful solution, should show the view on the moral decisions that are hard to accept yet as a firm choice, be someone who stand as a jurist of the rightness of the judgment, of peoples' right to have a dubious nature, either they poor or rich, but against people being eager to support live court, public sentences made by people no an independent court).

What Kim Ga-On doing through the last 4 episodes in making us stand on Kang Yo-Han's side because the alternative is to be disappointed by the childish, immature, naive and weak supposed to be hero, Kim Ga-On. Four episode is enough to show us that character can be strong, yet naive, righteous yet have his doubts about effectives of the standard methods, he can be suspicious of Kang Yo-Han, yet can actually give us the better resolve the case (and fails, but shows that it's work in progress). 

Instead as the person to lead Kang Yo-Han to be a more reliable character (even if still cunning and morally ambiguous) he makes us dislike him, just... ruining the time for the set up the small thing that would pay up later. 

Hm, I might be more sensitive about the scripts bloops than I've originally thought.

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2