[Drama 2021] Human Disqualification/ Lost, 인간실격

larus

I know this kind of drama would give you a melo/depression/deep vibes especially during this Sunday. I cried during Bu Jung & her father's scene. It just really hits. I can feel the anxiety and emptiness. When you feel like you haven't become anything. You have worries. And you feel like you're alone. I bet many of us can relate.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, africandramalover said:

I kept checking the forum to see who would be first to comment.

Me, too! :lol:

I had to sleep on it first, before feeling up to commenting.

The first episode was so heavy. Especially as many of the scenes were long with a lot of dialogue, which I think especially helped us get to know Kang-jae better. Show really took its time with its pacing.

I appreciated that both Boo-jung and Kang-jae had people they could trust and confide in - BJ had her dad, and KJ had his friend. It made me hopeful for them that they weren't SO alone in this world.

I didn't quite catch if KJ was estranged from the friend who committed suicide, or if they were still tight even after KJ had lent him money.

BJ's marriage made me a bit sad, as it seemed like her husband wanted to be there for her, and was concerned about her, but she was closed to him and chose to go spend time with her dad instead. I can already see there will be a lot of backstory to their marriage. Plus his mother was so intrusive!

Random thoughts:

- It surprised me that KJ lived in the same building as her dad; my impression was that they would have a much more random meeting. But BJ recognizing him perhaps made it easier for her to reach out for his sleeve on the bus?

- Crash Landing on You was the first time I'd seen the actor Yoo Su-Bin. When we first saw him in CLOY, he was sobbing while watching a kdrama in the North Korean soldiers' watchtower. It made me chuckle that in his first scenes in this show he also had to cry. (Of course, in this show it's for a much more serious reason.)

- The bus scene was alternately heartbreaking (her weeping), sweet (him offering the handkerchief and her grabbing his sleeve), and totally awkward (his detailed commentary about the handkerchief). I loved it.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

As much as I was looking forward to watching it, the first episode bored me to death. This drama is obviously trying to copy My Ahjussi's dark vibe and tale of two random (May-December) people helping each other overcome loneliness and obstacles, while everyone questions whether they are romantically involved. My Mister is a classic. The problems, the roadblocks, the humiliation and the dead-end life all felt real. This drama for me is a dud. JDY's problems (marital, loss of child, work) all seem forced to me, like a sham midlife crisis where she is just unhappy for the sake of being unhappy. I don't see what is so bad about her life - she made certain choices in life, some worked in her favor, some did not, nothing was forced on her, somethings like death are beyond her control, and she has the money and knowledge to seek counseling. As for the 27-year old young man, other than a limited career, I fail to see what is bugging him (though that bad hair cut should). He has his whole life ahead of him but is acting as if it's all over. These two people are not hard-up in life in any way, financial or moral or in terms of support. Very fake, vanity project.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

This is sort of like "My Mister" in reverse, a "My Lady" LoL? A younger guy with older woman instead. 

Lovin' Ryu Jun Yeol's hair, it looks so soft.. silky.. make me want to run my fingers through it oooh eheh. 

It was real funny their interaction in the bus ride too. I was shocked she'd wash the designer scarf 'cause they should be handled delicately. 

Her mil is OMFG. I mean her hair for one. Is that the trendy look for older women now?? I've seen the same style on several old ladies where I live as well. 

Nice to see familiar faces, like the "Navillera" gramps ha-ha. Son Na Eun look different. Anyways hope Bu Jeong will have peaceful days ahead in later ep. 

• Like 4

Ryu Jun Yeol, Jeon Do Yeon, And Others Experience More Fateful Encounters In “Lost”

5e1f701328e54f04a5c1dcd3be298306.jpeg?s=

Sep 5, 2021
by S. P

JTBC’s “Lost” revealed new stills ahead of the drama’s second episode!

“Lost” is a drama about the stories of average people who realize they haven’t become anything throughout their lives and try their best to see the spotlight. Jeon Do Yeon stars as Boo Jung, a ghostwriter in her 40s who feels lost and as if she hasn’t been able to amount to anything. Ryu Jun Yeol stars as Kang Jae, a man who runs a service where employees act out whatever roles clients request.

Spoilers

“Lost” set itself apart from the first episode as its insightful script and detailed storytelling offered a unique perspective on the lives of the characters. Boo Jung and Kang Jae, two people with completely different goals and life trajectories, met completely by fate at the midway point of their lives. Anticipation is already building regarding what kind of story will unfold next.

The new stills shed light on Boo Jung and Kang Jae’s second meeting. They discover each other on the rooftop, meeting one another’s eyes with heavy gazes. As Boo Jung turns to face him, a dim light cast on her face reveals a tear, making viewers wonder about the reason behind her watery eyes.

Jeon-Do-Yeon1.jpg

Ryu-Jun-Yeol1.jpg

Another set of stills reveal a reunion between Jung Soo (Park Byung Eun) and Kyung Eun (Kim Hyo Jin). As Jung Soo has spent the previous 15 years of his life trying to separate himself from his first love, he attempts to avoid Kyung Eun’s eyes. On the other hand, Kyung Eun watches Jung Soo with a relaxed smile while he is on the phone with his wife Boo Jung. It remains to be seen what changes this reunion will bring to their relationship.

In the second episode, Boo Jung will explode with uncontrollable anger toward Ah Ran (Park Ji Young). The drama’s producers commented, “With coincidence after coincidence, Boo Jung and Kang Jae will begin to grow closer due to an irresistible pull and curiosity. Make sure to pay attention to how Jung Soo, Kyung Eun, and everyone else involved will begin to experience changes in their relationships.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1487211wpp/ryu-jun-yeol-jeon-do-yeon-and-others-experience-more-fateful-encounters-in-lost

• Like 5

I was thinking this drama is like a gloomier version of My Encounter/Boyfriend (Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum). I didn't really think of My Mister because the dynamic between the main leads is different. 

The feeling of being lost is all so familiar with me and this drama is like a warm embrace. It reminds me that I'm not alone in feeling this way and now I am encouraged to take baby steps in creating a life I want. 

I like that there are hints of humor in between the swaying lost feelings. And now I'm looking forward as to how the main leads' paths will converge after the ending of episode 2.

----

Edit. 

Kang Jae's realizing his mom had him at the age of 26...I had the same realization two years ago, but the age is different in my case. 

And I love Kang Jae's inner monologue directing it towards his father. It's precious, intimate, raw and we get to understand his character a little bit more. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ponderings said:

And I love Kang Jae's inner monologue directing it towards his father. It's precious, intimate, raw and we get to understand his character a little bit more. 

Totally agree - the show is doing a decent job developing our sympathy for both Kang Jae and Boo Jung. KJ's dad died so young, and his mother puts him off. It was sad to hear KJ say that to him, money is how his mom can show him love.

And BJ is just kind of a wreck right now. She seems to blame it all on the successful writer, which may or may not be fair. I guess time will tell. Obviously she has gone through a lot of stress in the last year, especially if she had a miscarriage and lost her job. Her poor dad, carrying the weight of his daughter's hardships. He cares about her so much. 

The mother-in-law is such a terror! :wacko::lol:

Like some of you, I'm also watching Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha right now, and it's fun to see at least two actors overlap between the two dramas: the actor who plays the mother-in-law here is also the youngest halmeoni in HCCC, and the assistant manager-ish guy in the grocery store here is also the police officer in HCCC.

• Like 4

Back to soompi after soooo long, to support my favorite actor Ryu Jun Yeol.

Is it only me feeling gloomy after watching Lost. i watched it last night but the feeling of sadness lingering until morning when i wake up T.T, also the rating dropped, i guess Slice of Life is not popular in SK, PS : the theme also bleak, i hope the rating will rise later. 

can't wait to see Kang Jae, Saja and Min Jeong >.<

• Like 3

23 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Totally agree - the show is doing a decent job developing our sympathy for both Kang Jae and Boo Jung. KJ's dad died so young, and his mother puts him off. It was sad to hear KJ say that to him, money is how his mom can show him love.

And BJ is just kind of a wreck right now. She seems to blame it all on the successful writer, which may or may not be fair. I guess time will tell. Obviously she has gone through a lot of stress in the last year, especially if she had a miscarriage and lost her job. Her poor dad, carrying the weight of his daughter's hardships. He cares about her so much. 

The mother-in-law is such a terror! :wacko::lol:

Unfortunately, most parent-child relationships are unstable because of money. KJ thinks money is an indication of love because money brings them stability. But then to not have money means instability. Hence, KJ's belief: no stability = no love. 

I have a feeling there's more to BJ's story. It must have been a lot on her though. The stress of miscarriage is no joke. Not many people know how painful — emotionally, mentally and physically — it is to go through a miscarriage. And then to have a successful writer slap BJ is so unfair. So while her dad is carrying the stress of her daughter's current problems, BJ is carrying the weight of success in her dad's terms. Her dad believes she must live a life better than hers, but she thinks her life is shitty. That feeling of emptiness is awful and I've been there.

And I can totally relate to BJ when her mother in-law can not respect privacy. I hate the mother in-law so much. She claims she cares about BJ, but she's just creating drama.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:20 PM, the_sweetroad said:

Like some of you, I'm also watching Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha right now, and it's fun to see at least two actors overlap between the two dramas: the actor who plays the mother-in-law here is also the youngest halmeoni in HCCC, and the assistant manager-ish guy in the grocery store here is also the police officer in HCCC.

I am watching the OTP scenes in HCCC. But I didn't notice that the youngest halmeoni in HCCC is the mother in-law!! That's such a surprise and I give the actress props for immersing and showcasing herself in different roles. 

And the police officer in HCCC is the manager assistant is a double surprise!!! I totally did not see these connections so thanks for sharing (:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, ponderings said:

I am watching the OTP scenes in HCCC. But I didn't notice that the youngest halmeoni in HCCC is the mother in-law!! That's such a surprise and I give the actress props for immersing and showcasing herself in different roles.

Agreed! I absolutely hate her in this one and I heart her in HCCC :lol:. She's doing a good job in both LOL.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Watch: Ryu Jun Yeol And Jeon Do Yeon Bring Laughs To Set While Filming Their Emotional 1st Meeting In “Lost”

Jeon-Do-Yeon-Ryu-Jun-Yeol.jpg?s=900x600&

Sep 8, 2021
by S. Cho

“Lost” has unveiled the behind-the-scenes of Kang Jae and Boo Jung’s first meeting!

JTBC’s “Lost” is a drama about the stories of average people who realize they haven’t become anything throughout their lives and try their best to see the spotlight. Jeon Do Yeon stars as Boo Jung, a ghostwriter in her 40s who feels lost and as if she hasn’t been able to amount to anything. Ryu Jun Yeol stars as Kang Jae, a man who runs a service where employees act out whatever roles clients request.

The two actors are filming inside a bus as they rehearse and brainstorm the best way for Boo Jung to stop Kang Jae from getting off the bus. After filming the emotional scene, they lightheartedly practice their next lines which turn out to be more comedic than they thought. They continue discussing different ways Ryu Jun Yeol can press the button for his stop and he cracks everyone up with his funny suggestions.

The scene comes to an end as Jeon Do Yeon adorably keeps getting her line mixed up but manages to get it done on the third try.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1487668wpp/watch-ryu-jun-yeol-and-jeon-do-yeon-bring-laughs-to-set-while-filming-their-emotional-1st-meeting-in-lost

• Like 4

Human Disqualification: Episode 1

by quirkycase

HD01-00001.jpg

Human Disqualification, the newest offering from JTBC, gives us a solid premiere that centers on two lost souls played by Jeon Do-yeon and Ryu Joon-yeol. We spend this episode getting to know our disillusioned leads individually while they navigate a particularly rough day involving a tragedy and a police summons respectively. The tone is melancholic and introspective as we glimpse into the lives of two people going through the motions, resigned to the hand they’ve been dealt.

EPISODE 1: “The right to be human”

We open on KANG-JAE (Ryu Joon-yeol) entering a love hotel with a woman. In voiceover, BU-JUNG (Jeon Do-yeon) tells someone that she’s been thinking about what qualifies one to be human.

Shortly after Kang-jae and the woman enter their room, a timer on Kang-jae’s phone goes off. He politely informs her that their time is up and declines her request to extend their session since he has another client waiting. Also, taking this further would be illegal.

The woman laughs but doesn’t push further. She leaves him a gift before walking out. Kang-jae’s professional smile vanishes once the woman leaves, and he collapses onto the bed.

Bu-jung continues that this right to be human is only given to those who abide by society’s rules. Only those people are allowed to get angry at the world, criticize, or feel despair. “The right that you have, and I don’t.

Kang-jae lies on the bed, ignoring his ringing phone. He later gets up and opens the gift which looks like an expensive handkerchief. He stares dispassionately into the mirror while Bu-jung wonders if that world of qualified humans even exists.

After getting a text, Kang-jae calls his friend DDAK-YI (Yoo Soo-bin) who is in tears about someone named Jung-woo. He can’t even get out what’s wrong. Kang-jae says Jung-woo was crying just now in his dream and wonders if it’s because he felt sorry.

HD01-01253.jpg

Ddak-yi is huddled in his bathroom with the sink running and promises to call Kang-jae back. In the other room, Ddak-yi’s sister SOON-KYU (Jo Eun-ji) is setting up their parents’ memorial table with her friend (or possibly partner) WOO-NAM (Yang Dong-geun).

While Kang-jae is on the way to his next appointment, Ddak-yi calls back but can’t seem to say anything. He pulls himself together enough to say that the police called him because they couldn’t get in touch with anyone else. “He’s dead, isn’t he?” Kang-jae asks.

HD01-00245.jpg

Ddak-yi explains that Jung-woo’s car was fished out of a reservoir. He and a woman were found holding hands with a scarf tied around their wrists. It doesn’t seem like an accident.

At a ritzy apartment complex, Bu-jung takes a bath in the residential bath house before entering one of the rooms to begin cleaning. Meanwhile, Kang-jae meets up with MIN-JUNG (Sohn Na-eun) and tells her about Jung-woo. When her primary concern is that Kang-jae won’t get his money back, he calls her heartless.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/09/human-disqualification-episode-1/

• Like 5

9 hours ago, larus said:

Watch: Ryu Jun Yeol And Jeon Do Yeon Bring Laughs To Set While Filming Their Emotional 1st Meeting In “Lost”

TV/Film

Sep 8, 2021
by S. Cho

“Lost” has unveiled the behind-the-scenes of Kang Jae and Boo Jung’s first meeting!

JTBC’s “Lost” is a drama about the stories of average people who realize they haven’t become anything throughout their lives and try their best to see the spotlight. Jeon Do Yeon stars as Boo Jung, a ghostwriter in her 40s who feels lost and as if she hasn’t been able to amount to anything. Ryu Jun Yeol stars as Kang Jae, a man who runs a service where employees act out whatever roles clients request.

The two actors are filming inside a bus as they rehearse and brainstorm the best way for Boo Jung to stop Kang Jae from getting off the bus. After filming the emotional scene, they lightheartedly practice their next lines which turn out to be more comedic than they thought. They continue discussing different ways Ryu Jun Yeol can press the button for his stop and he cracks everyone up with his funny suggestions.

The scene comes to an end as Jeon Do Yeon adorably keeps getting her line mixed up but manages to get it done on the third try.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1487668wpp/watch-ryu-jun-yeol-and-jeon-do-yeon-bring-laughs-to-set-while-filming-their-emotional-1st-meeting-in-lost

Great to see the BTS for this scene. I think it was my favorite scene from the series so far (all two episodes :) ).

Actors who can sob like that on demand never cease to impress me. Nice to see that they also had fun and were so comfortable during filming, too.

• Like 4

Ryu Jun Yeol And Jeon Do Yeon Cross Paths Once More In “Lost”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 10, 2021
by L. Kim

JTB’’s “Lost” revealed new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

“Lost” is a drama about the stories of average people who realize they haven’t become anything throughout their lives and try their best to see the spotlight. Jeon Do Yeon stars as Boo Jung, a ghostwriter in her 40s who feels lost and as if she hasn’t been able to amount to anything. Ryu Jun Yeol stars as Kang Jae, a man who runs a service where employees act out whatever roles clients request.

Spoilers

The previous episode showed a glimpse of the distressing events in Boo Jung’s life. Boo Jung, who blamed Ah Ran (Park Ji Young), eventually blew up. Kang Jae, who coincidentally watched Boo Jung head to the rooftop, followed her. He spotted her in a precarious situation and asked, “Why would you die?” Their meaningful eye contact raised expectations for what will happen next.

The newly released stills depict a coincidental meeting between Kang Jae, Boo Jung, and Boo Jung’s father Chang Sook (Park In Hwan). Kang Jae lives on the same floor as Chang Sook, and they are indifferent neighbors who usually pass by without saying hello to each other.

Boo Jung and Kang Jae face each other in front of the elevator. Chang Sook suddenly holds out cake with an excited face. Boo Jung seems flustered by her father’s unexpected action, and Kang Jae looks equally awkward.

lost-4.jpg

lost-3.jpg

In other photos, Kang Jae hands his cellphone to Boo Jung. In the preview for the next episode, he told her, “Next time we meet, let’s exchange messenger IDs.” What kind of events will these two come across in the future?

Spoiler

jeon-do-yeon-2.jpg

ryu-jun-yeol-1.jpg

In the third episode, Boo Jung will become bitter because she has become invisible to others, and Kang Jae will come to learn more deeply about her. The production team stated, “Boo Jung and Kang Jae will slowly permeate in each other’s lives without even realizing it, and there will be a huge incident that causes decisive changes in their emotions. In particular, the story of what happened to Jung Woo (Na Hyun Woo) and Jong Hoon (Ryu Ji Hoon) will be revealed. Please pay attention to how that will play a variable for Boo Jung and Kang Jae.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1488082wpp/ryu-jun-yeol-and-jeon-do-yeon-cross-paths-once-more-in-lost

• Like 4

Human Disqualification: Episode 2

by quirkycase

HD02-00287.jpg

We get more pieces of the puzzle as we delve further into our leads’ lives this hour. Our withdrawn protagonist struggles to cope with multiple losses, her grief leading her to make some questionable decisions that baffle her family. But she’s not the only one dealing with grief. Her new bus buddy is still grappling with his friend’s death and questioning whether he’s doing this whole life thing right.

EPISODE 2: “A country of rage”

HD02-00022.jpg

While Min-ja rummages through Bu-jung’s purse for the pieces of the police summons (seriously?), Kang-jae talks to his father in voiceover. He’s starting to wonder if he’d be the same person were his father alive.

Min-ja finds the Hermes handkerchief in Bu-jung’s bag and scoffs at how lavishly Bu-jung spends for being supposedly poor. As Kang-jae tells his father that he’s a mess, Min-ja finds the piece she’s looking for and takes a picture of the taped-together summons. She sneaks out of the house while her son and daughter-in-law are asleep.

HD02-00047.jpg

Meanwhile, Kang-jae and Ddak-yi say their final goodbyes to Jung-woo. Ddak-yi does all the talking, as usual. Kang-jae slips a folded 50,000 won bill (≈$50) in Jung-woo’s pocket and tells him not to forget to pay him back.

As Jung-woo’s body is prepped for cremation, Kang-jae thinks back to overhearing Bu-jung crying to her father that she hasn’t made anything of herself. “Father, I haven’t made anything of myself,” Kang-jae says. He too fears he’ll never become anything. Kang-jae and Ddak-yi spread Jung-woo’s ashes by a tree in the woods.

At the supermarket, Jung-soo slips out to call Bu-jung. What happened yesterday? She cried herself to sleep without saying a word. He chides her for not apologizing or talking things out with his mom. Bu-jung scoffs at his wanting her to be polite given that Min-ja seriously overstepped her bounds.

Jung-soo sighs and thinks she’s overreacting but drops it. He tells her to go to work. “Don’t get fired from your laid-back job.” She yells at him for his dismissiveness and hangs up.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/09/human-disqualification-episode-2/

• Like 3