EVENT: [Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널 RE-WATCH

partyon

Final poll: Thoughts about Tunnel  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Tunnel? (choose as many as you like)

• The plot was intense and kept me invested until the very end.
    • The drama was so suspenseful. I kept biting my nails.
    • Man, I cried so many times.
    • I'm sad it's over.
    • Great acting especially by the leads
    • The villains were interesting and had many dimensions to their story lines
    • I was confused by the time travel element
    • Oppa looked hot
    • I wish they had showed more of what happened in the end and how Prof.Shin and Seon Jae's lives changed.
    • It was fine, but I wouldn't watch it again.
    • Nah, not my cup of tea.
    • Something else. What?
  2. 2. Which plot twists surprised you the most? (choose max 3)

• That Prof. Shin was Park Kwang Ho's daughter
    • Seon Jae's real identity
    • That Mok Jin U was a serial killer
    • Every time someone tried to strangle or kidnap Prof. Shin out of the blue
    • How the young Park Kwang Ho got his name
    • That Yeon Sook had passed away in the future timeline
    • Something else. What?
    • Nothing surprised me because I had watched this drama before / I am an amateur detective
  3. 3. Do you think the future changed once Park Kwang Ho returned to the 1980s?

• Yes, Prof Shin (Park Yeon Ho) and Seon Jae grew up happily "together". Mok Jin U was caught earlier, and young Park Kwang Ho survived.
    • Not sure. Wish they had explored this part more in the drama.
    • No, I don't think so.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/17/2021 at 07:00 PM

Sorry for being MIA. After Ep 10 I dropped the ball but today I watched all the remaining episodes and finished the series. 

I really like the overall arch, as there were no plotholes really, once timetravel etc is possible. But the cases and the suspects and the beginning and the end... it all makes sense, and it is really a great story. This isn't just about murder, but about the reasons behind, only to find out those reasons are non-existant but for the killer themselves.

This series is very underrated. It had no annoying characters, especially the evil was good too. I should have known about the Coroner playing a bigger role, in fact I had thought he'd be more active - but I had assumed in a different sense haha.

And Yeonho and Seonjae are so cute. UGh

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ep 13
Back to the past.  The reunion between him and his wife was nice and sweet.  He tells her about the future, about their daughter, and the case.  In the meantime, Prof Mok wonders what happened to PGH and he also goes to the office and find out that his pen is missing.  He knows that PGH has it but he feels relieved since it seems PHG went back.  Yes, PGH has the pen and left it in his jacket in the past.  At this time Prof Shin, Sun Jae, and Chief realize, PGH has gone missing and later figures out he went back to the past.  In the past, PGH still investigates the case and try to find Prof Mok.  He also fulfills his promise to go on the cruise ship with his wife.  He buys a red teddy bear.  Sun Jae starts to put it together that Prof Mok seems suspicious.  Prof Shin has some memories of her mother and some flash back scene with s PGH.  Meantime, PGH finds the Prof Mok’s house.  In the present, Prof Mok find out Prof Shin is PGH’s daughter.  Sun Jae figures out that Prof Mok is the killer.  In the past, PGH has another fight with young Prof Mok.  It opens the portal to the future.  His travel back in forth in times is to find Prof Mok.  I wonder if he was able to get Prof Mok what would happen in the future.  How would it change?
Ep 14
Everything is starting to tie in for Sun Jae about Prof Mok and he feels disgusted.  The killer was someone he confide in, a friend. He goes to Prof Shin as she is probably the only one who can comfort him (in her own way).   He tells her Pro Mok is the killer.  The killer was right under their nose and did not figure it out.  PGH goes back to the police station and explains to the them about the past.  Also about the pen (the evidence) is left in the past.  Really loved the emotional reunion between father and daughter.  All the pains she had to endure for not knowing her parents all came out as she cried.  You can feel the pain and the relief as she hugs PGH.  They go and try to arrest Prof Mok with no proof.  I feel at this point they needed a plan and not just go and try to shake him up.  He gets release as since they have no proof of him being the serial killer.  It was a lighthearted moment when PGH kept saying who does Prof Shin takes after.  While they have Prof Mok locked up, they go to his house and find the pictures of the senior.  So this was the mementos from those killing.  They finally tell the other two cops about PGH being from the past.  It was funny as they try not to treat him as the youngest.  Prof Shin and her dad had a nice dinner at the Chinese place and Prof Mok kills again.  Why? Finally, prof Shin remembers where the pen is because she had new memories since PGH went back to the past.  Earlier, she had interview with a neighbor of prof Mok and recorded the interview.  I’m not sure why she did not share that with the team about the meeting the neighbor.  The ep ends with Prof Mok kidnapping her after she calls her father to tell him to meet up to find the pen. We also find out the chess piece he threw at Sun Jae earlier had a recorder.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:30 PM, Min2206 said:

Thank you all for your wonderful recap or account of the episodes.

Tunnel Epi 13

My Epi 13 would be the sweet interaction between Park Gwang Ho and Yeon Sook.

I was so happy that PGH returned to the past but I also want him to finish off his job in the present, that is to catch the old Coroner Mok

The reunion between PGH and Yeon Sook was so sweet and precious.
Even though there was no kissing so far, you can feel this man’s sincere, tender love.  

Choi Jin Hyuk’s shoulders are so broad, wife looks so petite in his arms.   Awwww

They went to the river cruise as promised and PGH bought a teddy for Yeon Ho.
Also at the dumpling shop, did you see PGH ‘s loving gaze looking at his wife eating the fried dumpling.   You can see the love from his eyes – Choi JH is good. 

Aww, big man doing laundry, the old fashioned way using feet.
I also like the hug scene when PGH had to leave to catch the culprit when Yeong Ja called, agreeing to testify.  Yeon Sook pleaded him not to go.   He gently assured her that he would be back, calling her pretty even when she cried or angry.   Sigh …. (somehow I knew he would be going back to the future).

His arms wrapped her up in hug.  – CJH, you are so tall - he had to bent down to hug her. 

Now on Prof Shin / Yeon Ho  - waaa, she finally broke down, seeing MOM’s photo PKH (Ah Pa)’s apartment.  I hope she heals fast.  

By the way, I have a BIG Question – is it me or what … something is amiss with Kim SJ’s look.  How come his face look thinner?    Or because he has been smiling lately?  

Lastly, on Coroner Mok -  first time seeing him losing his cool in the office, hehe , when he realised his NOEL was missing.

The ending -  I was right – when he started to chase Mok in that tunnel – he travelled forth to the future, again.    Now, you’d better make sure you catch the old Mok.

You described so well the many sweet scenes of PGH and Yeon Sook in EP13.  When I watched it for the first time, I was quite frustrated by what the writer did.   The drama was nearing the end and unexpectedly PGH was sent back 86, and then after showing their sweet moments together, the writer kicked PGH back to 2017.  I was like weayweay   I had no idea what would be happening with the rest of the story line. I kept thinking about the sad expression of PGH’s wife.  Yeah the writer put me on the cliff at the time. Such a poor sucker I was for PGH and Yeon Sook lol :sweat:  
Now I know, as you said,  he has to return 2017 to finish with Mok and have a proper goodbye with everybody. :whee!!:

On 3/4/2021 at 10:30 PM, Min2206 said:

His arms wrapped her up in hug.  – CJH, you are so tall - he had to bent down to hug her. 

Not only he has to bend down, his knees have to be bent too  He is a tall tall man   haha :mrgreen:

I like seeing the way PGH washes clothes

4r6zJBB.gif

In this making  Lee Shi-A(Yeon Sook) was so into eating delicious strawberries that she forgot she was in the midst of the shooting and kept eating…   So when CJH(PGH) calls ‘Yeon Sook-ya’  her mouth was full.  Her expression was so cute at that moment haha :joy:

Spoiler

mUqfUJa.jpg

[ gulping!!] [ strawberry is so tasty hehe] [‘Yeon Sook-ya’]  

BFwHlF7.gif

[‘Yeon Sook-ya’] [kekeke Why do you laugh?]  [‘Why you eat so much’]

kZuqmhT.gif

12 minutes ago, agenth said:

Wait - Yeon-Sook died? I thought the last scene was Gwangho and her, with Seon Jae and Yeon-Ho? 

/edit: oh im confused LOL. you meant when he found out she died 10 years later 

Yes, it was when he found out earlier in the show that she had died and that their daughter had become an orphan. In the end, she was alive and the family was happy together. I hope that the future changed in a way that allowed Kwang Ho and Yeon Sook to grow old together. :kiss_wink:

Here are my thoughts about ep 15 and 16, as well as overall thoughts about the drama.

• Loved how Park Kwang Ho showed what a concerned father he was in the last episodes. He was a young man who didn't even know his wife was pregnant, and suddenly he was the father of a woman who is older than him. When you think about that fact, he really turned into a father fast. You could tell how much he cares for her. I kept on laughing that he tried to block Seon Jae and Yeon Ho from dating until almost the end. :D
  • Loved the chief until the very end. He was just such an empathetic and nice person especially towards his sunbaenim.
  • The confrontation between Mok Jin U and Prof. Shin was very intense.
  • OMG, I cried so much in ep 16. :bawling:First when they let all the victims' families know that they had caught the killer, and then when it was time for Park Kwang Ho to go back to the 80s....
    The way Prof. Shin cooked dinner for him and took a selfie with him.

fullsizephoto850729.jpg
    And the way she called out "Appa!" in the end.... OMO! I just sobbed. :bawling: It was so hard for Kwang Ho too, but he asked Seon Jae to take care of her.
    I was so glad to see them reunited in the 80s. :kiss_wink:

Overall, I really enjoyed Tunnel despite this being the second time I watched it. I had forgotten many parts, so some stuff came to me as a surprise as well.

I wish they had explored the time travel a bit further, and I really wish Park Kwang Ho had hugged his daughter before he left (that bothered me the first time I watched the drama too). Also, I wish we had seen how the future changed.

Otherwise, I felt that the acting was superb, also by the villains and the supporting roles. The main trio did a wonderful job of conveying their feelings and all three of them showed how good actors they are. Well done! :partyblob:

The drama balanced the suspense and the emotional aspect of the drama very well.

And my oppa looked very handsome, so I'm not complaining! :love: lol

tunnel_ep_9_0716.jpg?w=605&h=359

Here is a question to the people who have watched a lot of k-drama thrillers:

Spoiler

For some reason I kept waiting that they would find the murderer because he picked up the victims from buses - can't remember if the murderer was a bus driver or just traveled a lot by bus.

Obviously it wasn't this drama. :joy: Which drama am I mixing it up with? Could it be Signal?

Thank you all who took part in this journey! :dorakiss:

The 2nd re-watched still had me in suspense.

Again Prof Shin is captured and I kept how many times can she get choked and survive.  We get Prof Mok backstory with his mom and him becoming the serial killer. They finally captured Mok and he goes to jail.  I doubt if he would feel remorse.  The reason behind the murders were really insignificant to me but to messed man this made sense.

I wanted to see what happens after PGH goes back, but we can assume Prof Mok is caught and the future is different.  But the core people I think would remain in the future.  They do leave room for 2nd season but I doubt there would be 2nd one.  The story could still follow Sun Jae & Prof Shin and add new characters and maybe guess appearance PGH...just saying.

Enjoyed reading all your comments.   Thank you @partyon for tagging me.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, booha said:

You described so well the many sweet scenes of PGH and Yeon Sook in EP13.  . 

Not only he has to bend down, his knees have to be bent too  He is a tall tall man   haha :mrgreen:

[ gulping!!] [ strawberry is so tasty hehe] [‘Yeon Sook-ya’]  

[‘Yeon Sook-ya’] [kekeke Why do you laugh?]  [‘Why you eat so much’]

Thank you for your post.  If you have more BTS to share on this drama, that would be lovely.   :heartxoxo:

Epi 15

Cut short to all the cctv and trailing detective works, glad that tyre repairman was not killed.  Because he was alive to tell that he heard noise from Mok’s car boot.  Yes, Yeon Ho was inside there!

And I don’t like the scene between Mok and Yeon Ho.  Her eyes were so huge!   The 3 chances on the pen’s whereabout.  Poor actress kept being strangled so many times! 
tunnel_ep_15_2001.jpg?w=605&h=344
Glad her English friend called up KSJ to inform of Yeon Ho’s distressed call.  She got 3 days to live before the pen arrives.

Yeon Ho really has the courage to play words with him.  Trying to incite Mok to talk.   Was so afraid that he might became angrier and strangled her to her last breath.  Phew, he did not.  We get to see his childhood memories and why he became a disturbed, broken person due to his hatred on mom being called filthy.  Guess mothers / parents play a big part on how a child is brought up.  Sad yet scary.

The pen came but it was not Noel.  The whole team at police station went crazy in desperation. 
Why?  Mok received the pen before them, so he knew Yeon Ho was lying.  Dang!  My poor Yeon Ho’s life is at stake.    Poor PGH freaking out in frustration. 
tunnel_ep_15_3502.jpg?w=605&h=342

Cut short to the scene where PGH finally realised that Yeon Ho must be in Mok’s hometown – the hideout.  They saved her but lost the murderer.

Finally found Noel in the red Teddy.  What a relief!   PGH was so grateful to both his wife and daughter.  They wonder why Noel is so important to Mok.  Because it’s a gift from his mom.

Fast forward, the team was trying to locate where Mok could be hiding or planning his next murder.   Went all over the place but not Yeon Ho’s place.

No, not again, Yeon Ho was on the floor, being strangled again!

tunnel_ep_15_10500.jpg?w=605&h=345

I forgot to add in my previous post the following:

I found it very curious that Park Kwang Ho didn't have a driver's license. I mean it worked well in the plot, because he was chaffeured around by other characters.

spacer.png

But I was wondering if there was any more meaning behind the fact that he didn't have a driver's license. Especially since he was a police officer / detective, I would find it extremely likely that he would be forced to have a driver's license.....?

Would anyone know?

On 3/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, Min2206 said:

By the way, I have a BIG Question – is it me or what … something is amiss with Kim SJ’s look.  How come his face look thinner?    Or because he has been smiling lately?  

yup yup sis @Min2206 

There is a change in his look (obviously for good) !

Even I was asking the same question myself as i was watching the drama and found the answer !

There is a change in his hairstyle !

spacer.png

yes, didn’t know a small change in hairstyle would bring such a significant difference !

:heart2beat:

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, partyon said:

Here is a question to the people who have watched a lot of k-drama thrillers:

Reveal hidden contents

For some reason I kept waiting that they would find the murderer because he picked up the victims from buses - can't remember if the murderer was a bus driver or just traveled a lot by bus.

Obviously it wasn't this drama. :joy: Which drama am I mixing it up with? Could it be Signal?

Yes sis @partyon that case is from Signal kdrama :heartxoxo:

I will wrap up my review about the drama and write it out tmrw 

:kiss_wink:

1 hour ago, partyon said:

I found it very curious that Park Kwang Ho didn't have a driver's license. I mean it worked well in the plot, because he was chaffeured around by other characters.

But I was wondering if there was any more meaning behind the fact that he didn't have a driver's license. Especially since he was a police officer / detective, I would find it extremely likely that he would be forced to have a driver's license.....?

Would anyone know?

Back then, he relies on his long legs, bus, train and probably bicycle, hahaha!   It's expensive to own a car back then?  He was a junior.   

Epi 16 Final

So many tearful emotional scenes.   I had to pull a box of tissue next to me. :tears:

1.       The scene where PGH handed over the handcuff to KSJ, knowing how bad KSJ wanted to catch the killer.                                     Finally KSJ handcuffed the killer who murdered his mom. 
K-Drama, J-Drama, C-Drama & T-Drama Recaps/Reviews: "Tunnel - Drama"  Episode 16 Final recap

2.       The scene when KSJ asked why Mok picked his mother.  KSJ’s shocked expression when he heard that she was killed because she smiled at another man in the bus?!     His rage!     And Mok could still say that he didn’t want to tell KSJ for his own good.  Oh, how arrogant can he be.

Spoiler

Tunnel: Episode 16 (Final) » Dramabeans Korean drama recaps

3.       This is one drama where the writer and PD did well – the reason behind what and why Mok did the killings, why he became what he is – there is a closure for every one , I mean, even the victims and kins, which comes to next point.

4.       Like how the whole unit went around the victims’ families to inform they caught the killer.  The relief to the pain and sufferings finally came to a closure for the families.  Even 1988 Park KH was also given an utmost respect.  My respect too, to the cast, PD and writer-nim.

5.       PGH’s farewell is so difficult.  No one want PGH to leave, me too but he has to … (I cried so many times in so many scenes here – the police team farewell dinner.  Chief went crying and crying till he passed out. 

6.       And, sweet of KSJ to drop PGH home for dinner with daughter– warmly cooked by her, in 2017.  
tunnel_ep_16_5855.jpg?w=605&h=340

7.       Ending - Seon Ho calling Ah Pa, just before PGH entered the tunnel … aishhhhh

Spoiler

a38.png?w=1000&h=

8.       And the nod of approval PGH gave KSJ – a sign that he hands Seon Ho to him, with trust and love.

Spoiler

a42.png?w=1000&h=

a41.png?w=1000&h=

9.       Did you see the light at  the other end of tunnel –  it does ring true.
tunnel_ep_16_10500.jpg?w=605&h=334

I have to say that every character is great, including the 2 murderers, Jung Ho Young and Coroner Mok.  Great acting!
Seon Ho as Professor Shin didn’t let me down too.   At first, I didn’t like her but she grew to become a person whom opens up and starting to feel love.

Kim Seon Jae too, who was so broken inside, now healing and re-connected with his tormented father.  Am so proud of these souls who finally found each other and meaning of life, meaning of love. 

Not forgetting to thank Dean Hong, the Professor who took care of Prof Shin.
Chief Shung Shik who stood by his sunbae-nim, no matter what or why – a trusted hoobae and friend
And the 2 comedian officers – hitting the hilarious moments at the right points

I’d like to thank @partyonfor introducing this drama to me.  I would highly recommend it.

:heartxoxo:

And Zoppa, this is one of your best.  

You as Park Gwang Ho got a happy ending in this drama.  I wish you the same in real life too.   

Spoiler

Tunnel Episode 16 Recap (Finale) | THOUGHTSRAMBLE

This feel good ending made me feel completely satisfied.  I shed lots of tears watching this drama but somehow it felt good like healing afterward. 
A good sobbing is one of the ways to lubricate humanity to maintain its viability.:hwaiting:
The writer shows humanity with tender and compassionate regard.  Even both sociopaths get sobbing stories of their dark upbringings.  As a woman it’s very hard to accept them any other way except as monsters. 

But the overall tone of the drama is heartwarming and I’m glad about the ending scene, four people in such a blissful state.  gosh

Thank you @partyon   for Tunnel rewatching event   
Thank everybody for your recaps  

@Min2206  :fullofhearts:

OyrFpVL.jpg

VlU25sA.jpg

IPis8jI.jpg

Spoiler

wlM92Cn.jpg

7GOcW3g.jpg

ixJaqKI.jpg

cr to DC

5 hours ago, booha said:

This feel good ending made me feel completely satisfied.  I shed lots of tears watching this drama but somehow it felt good like healing afterward. 
A good sobbing is one of the ways to lubricate humanity to maintain its viability.
The writer shows humanity with tender and compassionate regard.  Even both sociopaths get sobbing stories of their dark upbringings.  As a woman it’s very hard to accept them any other way except as monsters. 

But the overall tone of the drama is heartwarming and I’m glad about the ending scene, four people in such a blissful state.  gosh

Thank you @partyon   for Tunnel rewatching event   
Thank everybody for your recaps  

Thank you @booha for your wonderful images that you have been sharing throughout the re-watch.

I particularly like this one, sorry for re-post, credit to DC
This little boy, young Kim Seon Jae, is so cute.

Spoiler

VlU25sA.jpg

I was finally able to watch the rest of episodes.  This is one of those amazing thiller kdramas that you can watch again and still find it amazing.  Everything on this k-drama worked. 

Even though I have watched this drama 2 times before the suspense was still there. 

I want to thank everyone for the amazing comments and insights. :love: and thank you  @partyon of making this rewatch-event. :love:

I was kind of sad how this ended. we did not really see how much their life changed. But then again it would maybe take the fun of it. 

@partyon Noona, @Min2206, @4evrkdrama, @joccu Chingus, I am rather late with my post here having already watched the final 2 episodes during the weekend. 

So it was a nice ride in my opinion. I think this was the first kdrama of this genre that I watched which had 2 killers involved. I am not too sure about it, but I think this one was the first. We've had several kdramas following the same route. The concept of time travel was quite simple, and I actually liked that they kept this one a simple thing, since this was never going to be a sci-fi where we would bang out heads thinking about how it happened. 

I think the biggest character development happened in the case of Prof. Shin, followed by Sun Jae. Both started off as really cold characters, Prof Shin seemed to have very little understanding of typical human emotions, which she started understanding more later on in the drama. Sun Jae started off as a lone wolf, did not really trust anyone, was always making his moves alone, seemed to look down on others, but later on we see him start trusting his team and relying on them. All happened because of Gwang Ho.

He made Prof. Shin realize that is important to think about the victims while searching for the killers. They should think about the killer, but also think about the victims. Same was the case with Sun Jae, where Gwang Ho proved that he is a detective who he can trust. Their partnership as detectives had a shaky start but later on they became a strong team. 

As @partyon mentioned, I would have loved it if Prof. Shin had hugged Gwang Ho before he would leave permanently. But still, they had a great father-daughter relationship, despite being almost the same age (some where it was hinted Prof. Shin was older). I think she was older than actual Gwang Ho of the present timeline who was killed. They almost connected all the dots, even how present timeline Gwang Ho got his name. 

Mok Jin Woo's back story was sad, and we see that he was not your typical psychopath since childhood as they show in some dramas. As a kid, he was just a normal kid, craving mother's attention and love. As he grew older, his experiences in childhood starting having effect on him and the guy who he spent time with in the Church triggered him actually. Otherwise, as it was stated in drama, he was a great colleague, a senior who the juniors always looked up to and a known forensics doctor. He could live a normal live if his childhood would have been a better one. Does not really justify the killings, but I think the drama also wanted to show that psychopaths, are not born like that always, sometimes the childhood trauma is the one which makes them go that way. 

I am also curious how the future changed, maybe we would see Sun Jae becoming a doctor, and Prof. Shin well, still going the Criminology way maybe. But I think we all agree that the ending was perfect without even showing the future events being changed. I just loved this drama again, and watching it with all the Chingus on this thread, just made watching this drama more enjoyable :heartxoxo:  

Archived