Quantcast

EVENT: [Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널 RE-WATCH

22 hours ago, corey said:

OK, friends - it is Thursday morning for me and I cannot wait to share my thoughts on Tunnel. This is first time watching for me and I am commenting in real time, so I have no idea what will happen next when I am commenting on a particular scene!

Ep 1

2.50 Ok, we are off to an interesting start. Question, why is the dead girl’s skin colour so unnatural? I hope we find out

3.30 Ha ha ha, I guess they are preparing oppa for TV appearance, am I right?

4.19 Well, no, a blind date… During office hours??? But yes, since it is S Korea in  1985, it was one of the few ways of getting couples together and even a 28 -years old homicide detective would have zero experience in dating.

8.20 So we have another murdered girl with blue skin... I really hope they give us explanation…

Oh and BTW the girl in the morgue was no longer blue…and nobody told us yet what the COD is.

15.30 I want to hit that gormless policeman. I am sure there will be another girl missing. If you have two cases of missing girls within two weeks, you just freaking don’t ignore such a report!

16:40 Well I told you, didn’t I :(

17.24 That lady going into a fit like that is one of the very few cases of entirely justified fits thrown in K-dramas. If it were me, I would beat that idiot who ignored her report to a pulp. She is being soft on him….

26.00 Oh no, is it now oppa’s wife that is going to be murdered!!!??? Noooo….

27.54 Well, good  - it wasn’t  -  I blame the bad lighting for not recognizing the girl. I thought she had longer hair, but otherwise they did look similar in the dark…

33.43 Ha ha ha, I suppose the chief is not too happy about his detective picking fights with soldiers in the presence of Military Police. He was ok with bullying and beating civilians during interrogation, but not the military…

35.00 And here we have an unjustified fit.

38.09 “The cases are not related”???? What sort of BS is oppa feeding the poor guy?

40.30 Whaat? Another victim?

48.00 Well, I noticed that all the places where the victims are murdered are along the river….

51.20 Oh no, are these murdered dogs!!!!???

53.40 “Does there have to be a reason to kill people” I have heard that before. I think it was in Tell me What You Saw, another OCN drama. I need to check if the scriptwriter is the same. If not, maybe someone was inspired by this drama….

And ekhem, oppa, I do not think it is a good idea to beat that kid….

54.50 OK, so it was not the kid. I did not think so, in this case the kid would have hidden the dogs’ corpses better… I wonder if he would be charged with cruelty to animals, or something similar  though…

55.11 Ha ha ha, so he is a son of someone important…. I knew it was a bad move, oppa, to beat that kid…and of course he will not be charged with anything…

End of ep 1

All in all, I liked it. The 1985 sequences seem quite realistic to me, well done, with perhaps one exception… For someone who grew up in 1960s and 70s’ S Korea oppa is too tall…

Ep 2

1.40, ok, judging from the style of cars we are already in the present…

3.50 Wait – oppa is not even surprised at the type of cars they are driving? Also  - standard practice – just stand in the middle of a pedestrian crossing and vent your feelings, waiting for the next car to almost hit you….

4.20 I guess oppa must have been hit on the head pretty hard not to be surprised how the police station looks like….

7.50 Aaa, now is starts to dawn on oppa that something is wrong….

10.15 I wonder how this will play out. Maybe oppa will assume the identity of this present day Park Kwang Ho, but what happened to the original person?

15.06 Is Seong Shik the gormless younger colleague of oppa who wore this stylish washed-out denim jacket in ep. 1??? (yes, such jackets were all the rage in 1985, I sooo wanted to have one back then)

16.20 Oooh, no, oppa’s wife is pregnant, what will happen to her while oppa is in 2016  :(

18.20 Wait – she did not know that she was pregnant and the doctor only told her now ??  I guessed because in the previous scene she wore a dress which was clearly maternity style....

24.14 Ha ha ha, oppa is going to be partners with the dandy lieutenant. Hilarity will ensue!

33-34 I really had to ff this scene, this was sooo heart breaking…. :bawling:

43. So they conveniently got rid of the present day Kwang Ho. But maybe he has some connection with the driver who almost hit oppa at the beginning of this episode? Also – will oppa really be missing for 30 years? What will happen to his wife and baby ?? [sob]

51.27 Why is it so freaking dark here, it is a modern days, the house must have electricity right????

57.30 Ha ha ha, oppa throwing his 1986 male chauvinist prejudices against women, this is really good!

58 ha ha ha, and this guy's attitude is even worse! Really brilliant! Kudoz to the scriptwriter!

And we have the fifth victim! AAAA!

End of ep 2

I liked it even better than the first ep. I really hope they tie the time travel satisfactory and we will not end ups with something I am not able to understand like The King - Eternal Monarch.

On a lighter note - Oppa proves that black is the most universal colour to wear ha ha. Just wear black and you can go to any time in the 20th century and 21st and will not stand out that much!

Hope you enjoyed my comments!

My gosh what a live recap of yours   So entertaining  I couldn’t help but imagine you banging the tables with chopsticks or waving/slashing them in the air (chopstick arm dance haha) while watching Tunnel.  hahaha   Wow I can feel your every reaction   That’s how we should watch kdrama, banging, kicking, sneering at, laughing, sobbing etc etc…  :joy:

:smashes:   :kicks:

What a good stress relief  :cutekitty:

@partyon
‘saekki’: Men like to use the word, either endearing(usually older man to younger) or cussing
  새끼(saekki)
    1. (Animal) young
    2. baby, child, (informal) kid
    3. (offensive) RickRoll'D, (informal) creep, (offensive) son of a RickRoll'D

Thank you for a guideline about comments.  Hopefully I could put down something about two eps.  :lol::relaxed:

PS guess what they found the real murderer on the the Hwaseong serial murder case (which began 1986 and stopped 1991).   The case got famous because it is the first serial murder case in Korea.
I googled about the case when Tunnel first aired(2017) but the case was still listed as unsolved. By chance yesterday I decided to google it again and I found they captured the real murderer (2019).  
Can you imagine  after all these years they found the real killer.   The reason the killing stopped because the killer went to prison for killing his SIL(1994).  Evidently the investigators never stopped working on the case and gathered all kinds of evidence till DNA technology was available. Since the killer was in prison they could trace and match his DNA.  It’s a great story.  
There are two CNN articles about the case (2019/2020)   

South Korean man confesses to a series of murders that stumped police for decades

By Jake Kwon and Julia Hollingsworth, CNN

Updated 3:17 AM EDT, Fri October 4, 2019
Spoiler

TQurew3.jpg

(CNN) A South Korean man has confessed to the murder of 14 women including nine who were victims in the country’s most infamous serial killing case – but the suspect won’t face prosecution, police said.

Last month, police said they believed they had identified the man behind at least three of 10 killings which took place in Hwaseong, a city south of Seoul, between 1986 and 1991.

On Friday, a police official told CNN a man had confessed to nine of the killings. He also confessed to an additional five murders and about 30 sexual assaults. One of the 10 Hwaseong deaths is now believed to be a copycat murder, the official said.

The man – who is in his 50s – is already in prison serving a life sentence, according to police.

Nine criminal investigators worked to build rapport with the suspect – and last week his attitude changed, according to the official from Gyeonggi South Provincial Police Agency.

The suspect gave a detailed confession, even drawing an explanation of locations involved in the killings on a piece of paper, the official said. Police will now work to verify whether the confession is true, and cross-reference it against their original investigation records.

Despite the confession, the suspect won’t face charges over the killings as South Korea’s statute of limitations on the most recent of the cases ran out in 2006.

Although police knew that prosecution wasn’t a possibility, they kept records of their investigations and continued making checks into the cases.

“Naturally, the police must investigate the crimes,” the police official said. “It is an important case that had prompted questions all over Korea.”

“The victims and their families had strongly demanded (the truth). No matter how much time has passed, uncovering what really happened is the reason police exist.”

Seoul-based criminal attorney Kim Gwang-sam told CNN that it would not be possible for the families of victims to take a civil suit either. In South Korea, civil cases must be taken within 10 years from the time of the crime, he said.

Infamous murders

For decades, authorities were unable to solve the string of murders.

The killings are infamous in South Korea, and were even the subject of a 2003 true crime film “Memories of Murder” by top South Korean director Bong Joon-ho, who became the first Korean to win the prestigious Palme d’Or this year for his movie “Parasite.”

Although the killings remained unsolved, there was evidence that they could be linked.

All of the nine victims were sexually assaulted and murdered, and most were strangled to death, an official from Gyeonggi Nambu Provincial Police Agency told CNN. In many of the cases, a piece of their clothing such as stockings or a blouse was used in the killing.

The victims ranged in age from young teenagers to women in their 70s.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/asia/south-korean-serial-murder-confessed-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Man who confessed to being one of South Korea's most-notorious serial killers says he's surprised he wasn't caught sooner

By Yoonjung Seo and Julia Hollingsworth, CNN

Updated 10:20 AM ET, Mon November 2, 2020

Spoiler

aU91P1m.jpg

Suwon, South Korea (CNN) A South Korean man admitted in court Monday that he murdered 14 women and girls three decades ago in one of the country's most notorious serial killing cases -- and said he was surprised he wasn't caught earlier.

Lee Chun-jae confessed to the killings in front of Yoon, the only person ever convicted of any of the murders.
"I didn't think the crimes would be buried forever," 57-year-old Lee told a court in the South Korean city Suwon. He confessed to the murders last year to the police, but this is the first time he has publicly discussed the killings.
Yoon -- whose full name is not being published due to a South Korean law that protects the privacy of suspects and criminals -- was released in 2008, after spending 20 years in prison for the 1988 rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl.

That murder is one of 10 killings that took place between 1986 and 1991, which are known as the Hwaseong murders after the area in which they took place.
For decades, the nine other murders went unsolved, and the cases were revisited in "Memories of Murder," a 2003 film by "Parasite" director Bong Joon Ho.
Then last year, police launched a probe after new DNA evidence connected Lee with at least some of the killings. Yoon, who had for years protested his innocence, was granted a retrial, at which his lawyers are attempting to overturn his conviction.
At Yoon's retrial Monday, which is ongoing, Lee said that when he was questioned by police at the time of the killings, he had a watch of one of the victims on his person. But police questioned him for not having his ID card on him -- and he was set free soon after.
"I still don't understand (why I wasn't a suspect)," he said. "Crimes happened around me and I didn't try hard to hide things so I thought I would get caught easily. There were hundreds of police forces. I bumped into detectives all the time but they always asked me about people around me."
Lee said he didn't have a reason for killing the 13-year-old and showed no emotion as he described how he killed her. "It was an impulsive act," he said in court.
"I heard from someone that a person with a disability was arrested but I didn't know which one he was arrested for as I committed many (crimes)."
Lee apologized to the family members of his victims -- and Yoon.
"I heard that many people had been investigated and wrongfully suffered. I'd like to apologize to all those people," he said. "I came and testified and described the crimes in hopes for (the victims and their families) to find some comfort when the truth is revealed. I'll live my life with repent."
Lee has been in prison since 1994, where he is serving a life sentence for the rape and murder of his sister-in-law that year, according to Daejeon court officials and South Korea's Justice Ministry.
Lee cannot be prosecuted for the Hwaseong cases as the statute of limitations on those has expired.
PcCj6EA.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/02/asia/hwaseong-serial-killer-guilt-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 2
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널  RE-WATCH EVENT     Welcome chingus to the Tunnel re-watch event!   1. How do I register? Raise your hand and say you're in. You can join at

Even though Choi Jin Hyuk is my oppa, I've only watched it once. You must really like this drama then?  

Thanks chingu I was trying to think what I might struggle with. Personally I think it would be hard to time travel 35 years ahead in time and find out in a short time frame about all the tragedi

2 hours ago, booha said:

@partyon
‘saekki’: Men like to use the word, either endearing(usually older man to younger) or cussing
  새끼(saekki)
    1. (Animal) young
    2. baby, child, (informal) kid
    3. (offensive) RickRoll'D, (informal) creep, (offensive) son of a RickRoll'D

Chingu, in this drama the word saekki is clearly used in the context of creep, jerk. They always seem angry.  :joy:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4

So Chingus, here are my thoughts on the first 2 episodes of this drama. 

The first episode was a strong one in my opinion. Usually the first episodes of such dramas are slow, and more on the overall character intros and the main case intro, but the murders started happening here and there in fast pace. The episode was intense, but they did a good job in including some comedy and some light yet sweet scenes involving the ML and his fiancé (who later becomes his wife in the first episode itself). 

I liked the fact that they showed the police looking at the murders as different murders despite them being too similar to be ignored, which showed that even though initially they were clueless about it, but after 4th murder, the police seemed to be wanting them to be different and if the ML would not find the marks on the heels, I think they would continue their approach to the murders as individual ones. 

@booha I had read about the actual murderer last year, and the resemblance of it to this drama is a lot. I mean, this drama is based on those murders, thanks to them showing the girls being murdered in the same way as the actual killer did and also the timeline being the same. This drama aired in 2017 and they showed that despite having serious doubts, they had to let the killer leave (mainly because of his family background by the looks of it), and the actual murderer also when interrogated was in possession of a victim's watch but was let go after the normal questioning as they did to other suspects. Not much similar, but yeah similar in the sense that the killer got away quite easily (easier in the actual event though). 

The second episode was better, because well, that is when the actual story starts, and the ML is now in the present timeline, and is now the youngest member of the team. We get the introduction of Prof. Shin who is a criminology expert. Not too sure whether she asked the woman that question out of pure curiosity or wanted to lead her to commit suicide, but Prof. Shin is now part of the team as the profiler, while we see another murder happening and the body belonging to the 5th victim, which the ML was searching for in the past. I think the ML will need to learn that in 2016, you can no longer enter the crime scene just like and contaminate it :joy:.

What I also found funny yet amazing was showing the ML totally not understanding the concept of studying the criminals, as back then at least in Korea, the crime profiling must not have been a thing, at least in the region where he was. I found the same happen in "Life on Mars" where the ML was doing this stuff having travelled in the past and his team members thinking it is a waste of time and they got to search for the killer instead of studying him. 

Looking forward to the 3-4 episodes. 

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2
5 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I liked the fact that they showed the police looking at the murders as different murders despite them being too similar to be ignored, which showed that even though initially they were clueless about it, but after 4th murder, the police seemed to be wanting them to be different and if the ML would not find the marks on the heels, I think they would continue their approach to the murders as individual ones.

so I watch way too many crime documentaries/shows but this bit in some sense is historically accurate. in many shows, they note that police or the public didn't have this idea of a serial killer. it was not something they would never ever think of and it was a difficult concept for them to grasp -- basically killing without any real motive. thats why many real life cases took longer to connect because they would approach it from trying to find a motive. also the lack of connecting central database made it also harder to know. in many shows, the police would say something like "back then, the departments didn't talk to each other and operated independently. so unless we called and physically asked 'do you have a case like this?', the station in the next zone would not have a clue." so a lot of old police work was a lot more instinctual, talking to people and following clues without the use of technology. it was definitely more sherlock holmes type brain power deducting.

a good show on those lines would be 'crime to remember' -- dramatized versions of old cases from 60s/70s. putting trailer in spoiler for those interested....

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

What I also found funny yet amazing was showing the ML totally not understanding the concept of studying the criminals, as back then at least in Korea, the crime profiling must not have been a thing, at least in the region where he was.

am not sure about the history of profiling but it really seems to be more modern. even with some of the newer crime dramas, the profiler is at times not taking seriously or mocked for not doing real detective work. that said, there are different ways of studying the crime scene. again a really random piece of history. there was this lady who built crime scene doll houses based on actual cases and that was used by police for training to analyze scenes and how to figure stuff....

putting in a short clip about this random history... (one finds all sorts of stuff through YT accidentally! :D)

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

Episode 1 thoughts (I watched these a week ago)

• Love the cute blind date set up, when everybody was like making his date awkward by showing up haha. He is beloved in this neighbourhood and Yeon-Suk saw this too. 
  • I really liked the episode 1 moments where they showed how this couple grew closer. 
  • I like him being sunbae and encouraging his maknae, when he was too sad and considering giving up. 
  • Tbh I do not watch much crime, so the first episode I was just slowly being introduced into this world of Tunnel.

Episode 2 thoughts

• bwhaaha when he thought that the Lieutenant was a runaway from the crazy place. He thought this guy does not belong in this place he worked at for years,. only later to realise that the place had totally changed. And his whole career has been halved/eradicated, and is this because there is a play on words from sergeant to traffic cop now? 
  • I already love this new station. His old maknae becoming the chief, already having an inkling this is his old sunbae, but not really believing it. Even though they look same, it would be hard to believe this after 30 years, I understand.
  • Strange how his entry to this new world 30 years later is smooth. Maybe his future self came and arranged it? Or is this other Park Gwang-Ho is maybe his son? If so, where is he? 
  • Ugh the scene in the tunnel where he was trying to run back... only she could even hear his voice (or believed it), yet he couldn't hear her. My heart.

Those things I remember now! Next time I'll have to live capture my impressions. Let's just say I was hooked in episode 2! And looking forward to the partnerwork

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4
6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

am not sure about the history of profiling but it really seems to be more modern. even with some of the newer crime dramas, the profiler is at times not taking seriously or mocked for not doing real detective work. that said, there are different ways of studying the crime scene. again a really random piece of history. there was this lady who built crime scene doll houses based on actual cases and that was used by police for training to analyze scenes and how to figure stuff....

You are right here, I had read a couple of years ago that even though Crime Profiling has become a thing and is used in solving cases like murders, but still there are many detectives who still believe that it is a waste of time. But from what I know, in many countries, they have added a course of Crime Profiling in the Police Academy, so now they have acknowledged that some basic profiling should be done, and every Police Academy Graduate needs to have knowledge of it. 

Back then, like in this one they are showing, the crime profilers usually were Criminology experts or psychologists who would study the crime scene and other stuff and create a basic profile of the criminal as in his behavior and other stuff. 

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so I watch way too many crime documentaries/shows but this bit in some sense is historically accurate. in many shows, they note that police or the public didn't have this idea of a serial killer. it was not something they would never ever think of and it was a difficult concept for them to grasp -- basically killing without any real motive. thats why many real life cases took longer to connect because they would approach it from trying to find a motive. also the lack of connecting central database made it also harder to know. in many shows, the police would say something like "back then, the departments didn't talk to each other and operated independently. so unless we called and physically asked 'do you have a case like this?', the station in the next zone would not have a clue." so a lot of old police work was a lot more instinctual, talking to people and following clues without the use of technology. it was definitely more sherlock holmes type brain power deducting.

You are right here Chingu, even in this one, one of the reason the detectives were not believing the ML on it being a serial murder (before he found the dots on the heel), was mainly because it had not happened before. They could not really connect the dot unable to understand how someone can kill without a reason, and also it is not something that can happen in a small city like theirs. So I think this must been a case in many places and not just in Korea when these serial murders actually happened, and yes the other reason would be the departments back then didn't communicate like they do now, and even the media was not as active as it is now. 

5 hours ago, joccu said:

I like the partnerships between the cops.  the banter is so funny. 

Honestly, I like their partnership, and it is funny, but there are times I feel a bit annoyed on Sun Jae because sometimes he acts too arrogantly. I know he must be having his reasons, but I find it annoying sometimes. 

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

Ep 2 review !

waaah this episode got a higher graph than episode 1. 
All thoughts in my head has been written by other soompi members in the forum !

spacer.png

I have to be a little bit more faster when it comes to write reviews for next episodes ! 
Or else I will not have anything to write !

Vixx - is also there in this drama ? Wooooahh

spacer.png

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/12/17/world/asia/korea-murder-acquittal-hwaseong.amp.html

20 years of his life .........

:bawling:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 1
1 hour ago, corey said:

@partyon, thanks for the poll! that was very interesting!. What I would struggle most if I had been transferres straight from 1986 to 2021?

Thanks for the feedback @corey chingu :kiss_wink:

Honestly I sometimes struggle quite a bit with coming up with suitable poll questions. That's why I often ask other members for help - I rarely get help though...  Guess coming up with poll questions is hard for everyone.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Had to focus on asking generic questions and not asking "Who do you think is the culprit" (because of the fact that this is a re-watch). Glad that you enjoyed the questions. :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 4
16 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Thanks for the poll tag @partyon :)

I like the choices of your poll, the second one particularly. ^_^

Thanks chingu :kiss_wink: I was trying to think what I might struggle with.

Personally I think it would be hard to time travel 35 years ahead in time and find out in a short time frame about all the tragedies that have happened, e.g. deaths of relatives / friends, hardships of friends and relatives, disasters of the world (e.g. natural disasters, wars), etc.

It would be a lot to digest....

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 4
1 hour ago, partyon said:

Honestly I sometimes struggle quite a bit with coming up with suitable poll questions. That's why I often ask other members for help - I rarely get help though...  Guess coming up with poll questions is hard for everyone.

Noona, I'll try to come up with some questions. You are right about asking "who do you think real murderer is" or something related to the future events, since a lot of us have watched it and our answers may end up as spoilers for others. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 4
1 hour ago, partyon said:

Personally I think it would be hard to time travel 35 years ahead in time and find out in a short time frame about all the tragedies that have happened, e.g. deaths of relatives / friends, hardships of friends and relatives, disasters of the world (e.g. natural disasters, wars), etc.

Those are hard to digest even when you are there too while it happened.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

On 1/22/2021 at 2:54 AM, Sleepy Owl said:

So Chingus, here are my thoughts on the first 2 episodes of this drama. 

The first episode was a strong one in my opinion. Usually the first episodes of such dramas are slow, and more on the overall character intros and the main case intro, but the murders started happening here and there in fast pace. The episode was intense, but they did a good job in including some comedy and some light yet sweet scenes involving the ML and his fiancé (who later becomes his wife in the first episode itself). 

@booha I had read about the actual murderer last year, and the resemblance of it to this drama is a lot. I mean, this drama is based on those murders, thanks to them showing the girls being murdered in the same way as the actual killer did and also the timeline being the same. This drama aired in 2017 and they showed that despite having serious doubts, they had to let the killer leave (mainly because of his family background by the looks of it), and the actual murderer also when interrogated was in possession of a victim's watch but was let go after the normal questioning as they did to other suspects. Not much similar, but yeah similar in the sense that the killer got away quite easily (easier in the actual event though). 

The second episode was better, because well, that is when the actual story starts, and the ML is now in the present timeline, and is now the youngest member of the team. We get the introduction of Prof. Shin who is a criminology expert. Not too sure whether she asked the woman that question out of pure curiosity or wanted to lead her to commit suicide, but Prof. Shin is now part of the team as the profiler, while we see another murder happening and the body belonging to the 5th victim, which the ML was searching for in the past. I think the ML will need to learn that in 2016, you can no longer enter the crime scene just like and contaminate it :joy:.

What I also found funny yet amazing was showing the ML totally not understanding the concept of studying the criminals, as back then at least in Korea, the crime profiling must not have been a thing, at least in the region where he was. I found the same happen in "Life on Mars" where the ML was doing this stuff having travelled in the past and his team members thinking it is a waste of time and they got to search for the killer instead of studying him. 

Looking forward to the 3-4 episodes. 

When Tunnel was first aired,  I knew Tunnel’s serial murder case was based on the real case but I didn’t know so many details from the actual case were incorporated into the drama.   The Tunnel team did a good job weaving the actual event into the drama.  

From reading about the actual case in 2 CNN articles  I began to think about the cultural and political backdrop of the 80s.  It seems the economic growth during the 80s in Korea provided the people with an opportunity to foster democracy.  Having the international soccer game(1986) and the Summer Olympic game(1988), the opposition was able to force the government (run by the second dictator general) to change the constitution for direct election of the president.

((**South Korea - Timeline https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-15292674 ))

The first serial murder was in 1986 against a backdrop of cultural and political change.  PGH’s time jump from analogue to digital age has interesting juxtaposition visually.  1986 seems to be like a bygone era of simplicity and innocence life.  In the US some people recall fondly a show like ‘Leave It to Beaver’(sitcom 57 to 63) but I wonder how many women actually want to go back to that period (patriarchal era)

When I first saw the way PGH lunged after the psycho kid, I just laughed at it.  I thought PGH was a good guy but he just had a wild temper against any injustice.   Now I rethink about it and it reminds me of police brutality.   
One CNN article mentions about one innocent man who was forced to confess to a murder(1988) he didn’t commit.  I can imagine how police made him a confess falsely.  During the hysteria over the killings of women, as shown in the drama which the superior tried to press on PGH’s boss to capture the killer, capturing the killer must be intense.  

On 1/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, Lmangla said:

a good show on those lines would be 'crime to remember' -- dramatized versions of old cases from 60s/70s. putting trailer in spoiler for those interested....

Reveal hidden contents

A Crime To Remember - Series Trailer (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaCOomqaMA&feature=emb_logo

putting in a short clip about this random history... (one finds all sorts of stuff through YT accidentally! :D)

Reveal hidden contents

The dollhouses of death that changed forensic science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdT8PgT19w&feature=emb_logo

Thank you for 2 videos :blush:
'crime to remember' has a such polished/ stylized cinematography which is fun to watch… but mostly caught my eyes were many smoking scenes which we don’t see any more.  Yeah there was times when smoking on the screen was supposed to be cool and sexy.  Now smoking is a deadly killer.:confounded:

On the dollhouse video, I might have to google  about the rich heir.   So according to wiki she is ‘Known for  "Mother of forensic science"’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Glessner_Lee

• Awesome 1
  • Insightful 6
  • Blob 2
36 minutes ago, booha said:

1986 seems to be like a bygone era of simplicity and innocence life.  In the US some people recall fondly a show like ‘Leave It to Beaver’(sitcom 57 to 63) but I wonder how many women actually want to go back to that period (patriarchal era)

so I haven't gotten around to re-watching yet but in terms of the poll, I was thinking of the cop's wife in terms of intriguing characters. the actress really impressed me and I wondered why I hadn't seen her in other dramas. she really does have a kind of throwback feel and does portray that kind of innocence and simplicity well. if the same situation happened to a woman in our time period, how would we react? we would assume the worst of the guy and move on most likely right? we are unlikely to have that kind of faith and trust. we would probably simmer with anger and resentment no?

and these time travel dramas ask tough questions in indirect ways -- I was reading some long convoluted article about whether we can judge some of the stuff in the old movies by our current moralities. after a point, I got bored but the central question does remain especially as we study history and look at certain periods. it seems that history is not only written by winners but also coloured by our own perceptions and ideas. so whether it is actions by law and order or the place of women, it becomes difficult to know how to read that.

have some friends who are homemakers and they struggle with feeling like they are inadequate. there is a kind of guilt or shame that they are not working. then there are working moms who struggle with feeling overwhelmed that they have to be superwomen and feel like they are failing. I don't want to ramble too much as we are discussing a good drama here but I guess I would just say that every period has unique problems as well as advantages. there are some periods that seem dark but people lived, survived. was their lives richer or poorer during those periods? hard to tell at times. for better or worse, time does not wait and while we can hopefully learn from the mistakes of history, whether we are actually improving is a whole different question altogether....

17 hours ago, MayanEcho said:
18 hours ago, partyon said:

Those are hard to digest even when you are there too while it happened.

it is hard for old people! I remember going to a birthday celebration of this grandmother and she said sadly that everyone she knew of her generation is no longer there. so she would be glad to leave when it was her time. so it would be really hard that we missed out on all the relationships that make our life rich.

another difficulty with time travel is simply the way we communicate. while all our technologies have made us more linked, weirdly, it also seems that we communicate less face to face and connect. so for people of those times who are used to dropping by a friend's house without notice and just sitting and chatting, that would be hard no?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Blob 3
12 hours ago, booha said:

When Tunnel was first aired,  I knew Tunnel’s serial murder case was based on the real case but I didn’t know so many details from the actual case were incorporated into the drama.   The Tunnel team did a good job weaving the actual event into the drama.  

From reading about the actual case in 2 CNN articles  I began to think about the cultural and political backdrop of the 80s.  It seems the economic growth during the 80s in Korea provided the people with an opportunity to foster democracy.  Having the international soccer game(1986) and the Summer Olympic game(1988), the opposition was able to force the government (run by the second dictator general) to change the constitution for direct election of the president.

Well, this serial murder case has been a high profile one in Korea, and mainly because the killer was not caught. Now that he is also caught, thanks to his own confession, this guy cannot be actually charged for those murders thanks to the "Statute of Limitations" over for those killings. One good thing SK did was to remove the "Statute of Limitations" for murder and some other cases. 

Since this was a very famous case, with the killer still on loose (or dead since no one knew), it provided inspirations for several movies and dramas. From what I remember, "Signal" was also based on similar cases, so did "Confessions of Murder", "Gap Dong" too and well "Memories of Murder" was properly based on this murder, and in my opinion all of them were a masterpiece. I am sure there were other drama/movie based on this too which I am yet to watch. 

12 hours ago, booha said:

The first serial murder was in 1986 against a backdrop of cultural and political change.  PGH’s time jump from analogue to digital age has interesting juxtaposition visually.  1986 seems to be like a bygone era of simplicity and innocence life.  In the US some people recall fondly a show like ‘Leave It to Beaver’(sitcom 57 to 63) but I wonder how many women actually want to go back to that period (patriarchal era)

When I first saw the way PGH lunged after the psycho kid, I just laughed at it.  I thought PGH was a good guy but he just had a wild temper against any injustice.   Now I rethink about it and it reminds me of police brutality.   
One CNN article mentions about one innocent man who was forced to confess to a murder(1988) he didn’t commit.  I can imagine how police made him a confess falsely.  During the hysteria over the killings of women, as shown in the drama which the superior tried to press on PGH’s boss to capture the killer, capturing the killer must be intense.  

As for the pressure to catch the culprit, it happens for multiple reasons. Main one could be the Chief wanting to save his neck and not be held responsible for multiple murders and also the pressure to really catch the culprit. The police chief has to be answerable to both higher ups and the public. That's why we constantly see the Police suddenly putting up their guard when potential serial murders happen even the present time, since it would attract too much attention from media, public and higher ups. So I think Police since they found some clue on any of the suspects, they must have tried to force him to confess there. Back then Police Brutality was a lot and would go unnoticed and not like today where the Detective and others involved in it could end up in trouble. 

Back then, they didn't even think serial murder could be a thing, especially since it was a small town. So I can see why they didn't really think it would be a work of one guy and even after knowing they were not so ready to accept it. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 2

@partyon

Thank you for the poll   :hooray2:
“The pandemic’ in the questionnaire of the time travel from 86 to 16 turned out to be very interesting.   I imagined the moment when PGH walked out of a tunnel and stepped into the future.  So I come to my future where there is a nonstop news cycle from cable news channels and social media.   In this information world I will learn and feel relieved that I came to a place away from a pandemic epicenter like New York.   But on the other side inescapably I will get swarmed with the news of dying people/ endless shortage of PPE/ president saying pandemic is a hoax /crazy people with guns marching into a state capital and shouting about personal freedom against wearing a mask etc etc…   
Phew what a year we had to live through a once-in-a-century pandemic with a lunatic leader.  Lol   :sweats:

• Like 2
  • Blob 5

This is my 2nd time watching.

What i like is that im able to understand the reaction of each based on the ending. I like watching things develop..its like peeling an onions into the case.  Why PGH is in the future running away? Is this a parallel? What happens to PGH in the past? Those are the questions I have for the 1st ep.

Prof Shin was seems scary and suspicious. I enjoyed the team in the future more than the past.  

I'm on ep 3 going to 4.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4