EVENT: [Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널 RE-WATCH

partyon

Final poll: Thoughts about Tunnel  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Tunnel? (choose as many as you like)

• The plot was intense and kept me invested until the very end.
    • The drama was so suspenseful. I kept biting my nails.
    • Man, I cried so many times.
    • I'm sad it's over.
    • Great acting especially by the leads
    • The villains were interesting and had many dimensions to their story lines
    • I was confused by the time travel element
    • Oppa looked hot
    • I wish they had showed more of what happened in the end and how Prof.Shin and Seon Jae's lives changed.
    • It was fine, but I wouldn't watch it again.
    • Nah, not my cup of tea.
    • Something else. What?
  2. 2. Which plot twists surprised you the most? (choose max 3)

• That Prof. Shin was Park Kwang Ho's daughter
    • Seon Jae's real identity
    • That Mok Jin U was a serial killer
    • Every time someone tried to strangle or kidnap Prof. Shin out of the blue
    • How the young Park Kwang Ho got his name
    • That Yeon Sook had passed away in the future timeline
    • Something else. What?
    • Nothing surprised me because I had watched this drama before / I am an amateur detective
  3. 3. Do you think the future changed once Park Kwang Ho returned to the 1980s?

• Yes, Prof Shin (Park Yeon Ho) and Seon Jae grew up happily "together". Mok Jin U was caught earlier, and young Park Kwang Ho survived.
    • Not sure. Wish they had explored this part more in the drama.
    • No, I don't think so.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/17/2021 at 07:00 PM

@Sleepy Owl dongsaeng @joccu I was equally surprised when she appeared at the rest stop because I don't recall that she was informed of the murder there.

I was also surprised that she made it there in that weather. Sure, she said that her car was swept away in a flash flood, but it didn't make sense to me either.

:idk:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@joccu, @partyon so I am not the only one. She had said that the chief informed her, but he never did it, and I think none of the other 2 guys from the same team did. In fact they were kind of surprised how she knew about it.

Also the same thing, when not even one guy from the police force could reach there, I am not sure how she did it :idk:

EP5

I missed how Prof. Shin arrived on the rest area because the scene which  Prof. Shin responded to PGH’s question about how she got to the place was very brief.  So I rewatched that part.
Her answer was a bit out of logic.  She walked through a flooded bridge and lost her car which was swept away by the river?
After watching the episode I came to think that perhaps the writer couldn’t come up with a good rational way about prof. Shin’s arrival, as she needed to have Prof. Shin’s appearance right at that moment for the plot line (first PGH and Seon Jae needed time alone together to work out , and then later, trio of Prof. Shin, PGH and SJ).

EP4 revealed Prof. Shin’s past trauma, and EP5, about detective Seon Jae’s.  It’s interesting to note how Prof. Shin talked about her past in a low key, calm mode and Seon Jae, a high intense emotional finale.   

EP5 has several developments:  Revelation of SJ’s grief, the opening of Prof. Shin, PGH and SJ to each other, and the starting of a relationship between Prof. Shun and SJ.
About the case of the dead son’s dad, I felt it had a different effect. It worked as if the grief of the dead son’s dad was echoing back to SJ’s grief and it made SJ’s grief more intense and palpable. 

What an effective way to use a drenching downpour and lightning… at the right moment the light went out from the lightning and  the trio stood in the dark (like on the stage setting) … outside of the door, downpour and flashing light…  

RNTmjhD.jpg

Spoiler

zx3u9FQ.jpg

NTRkzf3.jpg

I6MzKfs.png

Ep 5

Ep 5, to me is connect the dots.  We get backstory of SJ finding out that his mother was killed by a serial killer and not by illness.  Thus his search to find the culprit leads him to being a cop instead of a doctor.  Jung-Ho may be a lead to his mom's death.  Jung-Ho, the kid who killed animals in 1988 is connected to PGH.   Dots are connecting with the past and present and they are laying the groundwork for why PGH is in the future.  The stranded cops in a remote island (rest stop) kind of spells out of a who dunnit mystery murder (similar to Murder on the Orient Express type films).  All the suspects at the same spot and detectives had to pieces the clues together to see who killed the truck driver..  Did anyone figure it out early on?  I  thought it was weird the glasses was broken for that guy with sweater.  Who told prof Shin?  Perhaps, she called SJ and one of the cops at the station told her.  It seems like she walked as she was soak and wet even with the umbrella.  Here PGH learns about the death of SJ's mom.  The viewer knows the connection but not PGH.   I loved the scene between Prof Shin & SJ at the bus stop after they found the killer at rest stop. 

Ep 6

PGH & Chief try to piece together the steps of the present day PGH.  How is he related to past PGH?  SJ discuss the case with the prof who does the autopsy and he mentioned that they need to look what happened before and not after (a clue for the cases).  Again, Jung ho is mentioned as a suspect since its the same methods used (stocking, suffocation, woman in their 20's).  Is there two separate murderer or one in the same?  The same prof mentions they must find his identify.  SJ pauses on the word identify.  This leads us to the case about stolen identity.  Again dots are connecting as this case relates to PGH identity.  Breaks from seriousness of the cases: PGH fascinated by smartphone..lol and SJ putting the Vacation sign on Prof Shin door so they are not interrupted.  Back to the case, Prof who does the autopsy, has another interesting conversation with SJ.  Living without a trace of who you are..ie no trace social media, online shopping ect.  Living an analog life and he compares himself to PGH.  Of course this brings, backstory of lady who stole identify telling SJ that PGH seems to be living as someone else.  This lays the groundwork for the end of ep 6.   SJ finding the present day PGH unfortunately dead.

On to ep 7 & 8.

I'm enjoying all the reads here and trying hard not to give spoilers.

@Sleepy Owl @Min2206@tiMadam @booha @corey @joccu @4evrkdrama

Thanks for your comments about ep 5 and 6. It's always interesting to read your thoughts ! :kiss_wink:

I watched ep 7 and 8 a few days ago, but I also forgot to write down my comments just like @corey:joy:

I was so immersed in the episodes that I couldn't even pause them. So I'll also have to go back and check the episodes tonight.

Even though this is my second watch I am still very invested in the drama, and I am going to have stop myself from binge watching the rest of the episodes. The plot is really riveting and captivating, and the acting is great!  :partyblob:

watching ep7-8  I had lot off emotions going down. One minute I´m laughing, other minute I'm crying and the I'm screaming at the screen. Luckily I live alone or I would have been one site too see. :joy:

I felt bad for the both Kwang ho's. 

Professor Shin. off course she is connected to Kwang Ho. 

I'm actually waiting to see how Kwang ho opinion about Shin and SJ dating will chance when he figures who Shin is. 

Soompies! I was in hospital and watched Episode 5-6 there. Unfortunately I was too weak to post. I will post my next impressions when I watch Episode 7-8.

Just wanted to let you know that I still enjoy this show :D

52 minutes ago, agenth said:

Soompies! I was in hospital and watched Episode 5-6 there. Unfortunately I was too weak to post. I will post my next impressions when I watch Episode 7-8.

Just wanted to let you know that I still enjoy this show :D

Oh no @agenthI hope you are feeling better! :kiss_wink:

I will be posting my thoughts about ep 7-8 tonight

:wow1:

Thanks! I do feel better, even though eating is a bit a hindrance!

Anyway, my thoughts Episode 7, very scatterbrained as I don't quite remember much of the other episodes

• Somehow I have the impression that the Professor is the daughter of Gwangho and his wife... I don't know, but the scene when she went to eat the dumplings in the restaurant made me think that. Because first she refused his gesture, and then there was that flashback. Maybe I'm crazy? Haha
  • The entire episode was funny, when he tried to convince Seonjae that he is from the past. And then the cliffhanger when the father came in and he recognised the detective. It's funny he recognises Gwangho quicker than the guy who worked with him for years (Chief).
  • Quiet shocking that the officer Gwangho died. I am still left with this mystery, how the guy "conveniently" died, as he was tied to the old case...

Finally had time to sit down and write down my thoughts on ep 7 and 8. :partyblob:

• Let's start with poor young Gwang Ho. So sad he died. :criesariver:We found out that he had a lead regarding the case 30 years ago, and that obviously got him into trouble. But how did he find that lead and who was chasing him....?
  • It was interesting to see that Sun Jae is a smart detective but even he had a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that Park Gwang Ho had time traveled from 1986 to present time. I mean, really? If someone would tell you such a cooky story, you'd probably send him to the looney bin in a jiffy.
    I can understand why it wasn't until Sun Jae's father recognized our oppa, that he finally started believing the police chief and Park Gwang Ho.
  • When our oppa finally realized that Sun Jae was THAT Sun Jae, whom he had carried in his arms in 1986, the barricades that were keeping them from bonding finally dropped. I look forward to see this duo finally start working together to find the scumbag who has been murdering women left and right.

tunnel-08.jpg

• It was also interesting to see our oppa try to get a little bit closer to Professor Shin. He is clearly a bit worried about her living alone and causing fires with an induction stove. :DBringing her dumplings jolted her memory, because she became curious and went to the Chinese restaurant to have some more. When tasting them, she realized that she had had those dumplings before.
    What irked me was the scene when someone rang on Prof. Shin's doorbell and no one was there. Seems Prof. Shin might have a real stalker on her hands. Boy am I glad that oppa lives in the same building. :phew:
  • Park Kwang Ho's search for his dear wife was a difficult process for him. First believing that she was re-married, and then learning she had died. :tears: Poor oppa!
    ep8-01.jpg?w=640
  • Not only does he learn that his wife is dead, but that he has a daughter! A daughter who became an orphan. And we found out that the little girl used to play with his whistle.
    Cue to Prof. Shin -> the owner of a whistle that looks exactly the same! :o

OMO! OMO! OMO! Is Professor Shin Park Kwang Ho's daughter?!?!?!? :w00t:

I have to say that I am really liking this thriller despite watching it for the second time. I can see why it became so popular back in the day. The writing is tight and we get major plot reveals unusually early in the show. Normally secrets like Sun Jae's and Professor Shin's would have been kept until the end, but here we get them before mid-way of the drama. I like it!

Continuing with ep 9 and 10 next!

:getmygrooveon:

Episode 8 feels:

• This drama gives a good spotlight to Choi Jin-Hyuk's acting range. I had only seen him in The Heirs, The Last Empress (more comedy, something I dropped/stopped watching) and now Mr. Queen. Honestly love the acting so much. The scenes full of emotions are executed quite well, and I always enjoy his cluelessness about the modern world, not quite noticing the bewildered looks he gets with the things he says with a straight face lol.
  • Now that the two have found about their shared past, although Seonjae knows less since he was a baby, they are soft with each other. What previously seemed like an obstacle, has now received understanding and acceptance. The other cops thought World War III would break out when the two return to work, only to see them work side by side. 
  • I wonder if the medical examiner will find out about Gwangho's identity. He seems interested and a little bit more involved than a regular ME. I wouldn't mind, his energy would benefit the team as well. 
  • The team bands together when Gwangho and Seonjae get hurt. I love this police team a lot. The other two cops duo serve as lighthearted joke, but that doesn't mean they are idiots. 
  • So that psycho high school kid does serve a further plot purpose. I admit in the first episode it was a little strange that I had not paid much attention to him.
  • Haha when Gwangho tries to matchmake the Professor and Lieutenant, they both don't deny, just say nothing to his antics.
  • Aaaaaaah the journey of finding out that the wife actually stayed true until she died. Aaaaaah when it was revealed that the Professor is the daughter!!!! I mean it could be a red herring, but I'm convinced already oops.

13 minutes ago, agenth said:

Episode 8 feels:

• This drama gives a good spotlight to Choi Jin-Hyuk's acting range. I had only seen him in The Heirs, The Last Empress (more comedy, something I dropped/stopped watching) and now Mr. Queen. Honestly love the acting so much. The scenes full of emotions are executed quite well, and I always enjoy his cluelessness about the modern world, not quite noticing the bewildered looks he gets with the things he says with a straight face lol

I know I am a bit biased, since Choi Jin Hyuk is my oppa, but he's actually a talented actor with a wide acting range. I think his forte is action and thriller dramas. He has the build and talent for action scenes especially. :wub:

But he's quite an emotional guy, so tears come naturally to him. @booha calls him a cry baby. :D

This is an interview Choi Jin Hyuk gave regarding Tunnel:

Around 2:50 he starts talking about how teary-eyed and emotional he felt about filming certain scenes in Tunnel. The tears were not in the script.

It's also funny the way he talks about his relationship with Yoon Hyun Min. :D

He talks about the fact that since he has a deep voice, directors feel that he suits dark and serious characters. He does state though that he thinks he would do well in a comedy. :heart4:

Spoiler

I am glad that he was finally given that chance with Zombie Detective last year! He definitely proved us right, and this comedic acting continued in Mr. Queen.

Now if we could only get to see him take on a villainous role or a heavy melodrama.... I think he would do well in those roles too!

Hey there Chingus, I am late with my post, but here are my thoughts on the 7-8th episodes. 

• The person Park Kwang Ho least wanted to know about the case of real Kwang Ho, ended up finding that dude's body and got a big head start ahead of them. Sun Jae does seem to have doubts, maybe for the first time he feels and hopes that the voice in his head regarding current Kwang Ho being the imposter and murderer is wrong. 
  • Anyway, so we have 2 guys know about this. Sun Jae and the old forensics dude. They do have a strong trust between themselves, that the forensics guy agreed to to check the body without telling anyone and off records. 
  • Meanwhile well, Jung Ho Young is revealed to be the same young school guy who was caught by Kwang Ho back in 1980s. I for one had totally forgotten about it. I had thought to go back to that episode and just see his name again, but always would forget and now they revealed it themselves. 
  • Well, of course Sun Jae would never accept that story. He even had a hard time believing it even after his dad recognized Kwang Ho. But well, given the circumstances, he could not really deny certain facts like Kwang Ho knowing about the case whose records got burnt in fire and the chief constantly calling him sunbae. 
  • Prof. Shin well, is also investigating the old main case, while keeping Jung Ho Young as the main culprit. Interesting, since while everyone ignored his confession, she started checking it out based on what the other female killer told her and found the case which got forgotten with the fire in the station. 
  • It was really sad to see  Yeon Sook's story. She waited for Kwang Ho, and then had a sudden death like that, leaving their small daughter alone. IT was really a sad scene for me when the daughter whistled using the whistle her mom had given to her when she hurt herself and it was the same night when Yoon Seok died.
  • And when we came to know about Sun Jae being the son of one of the victims of murder some episodes ago, this episode ends with another big reveal of Prof. Shin being Kwang Ho and Yoon Seok's daughter. 
  • I am really looking forward to see, will Kwang Ho come to know about it, and when he will, will he still secretly cheer for Sun Jae having a crush for his daughter? :joy:

Ep 7 

Finally everything is leading to where we supposed to be...the present PGH and Past PGH why are they are connected?

We find out that he was working on the case but we don't why he stared working on the serial killer case or what evidence he has on the killer.  So now the past PGH has to solved the case for present PGH since he died.  To me this is like a parallels universe.  Especially the part where he calls her to tell her about the future and they seems to be having a conversation.  Did the killer drug the present PGH?  I thought he did but can't find if it was in ep 7 or another ep.  Also, now PGH sees that Sun Jae is the boy that his mother killed and the father came every day to see if they found the culprit.

The dumpling scene shows that PGH and Prof Shin may have connection. Since she ate it, and it brought back memory of someone feeding the same dumpling.  Jun Ho is connected to a murder 30 years ago.  It seems that is modus operandi is young woman in skirts.  I'm glad Prof Shin reminded Sun Jae to ask if the person he knows would commit murder. 

Ep 8

Now that Sun Jae believes PGH is from the past, they are working together to solve the mystery of the serial killer.

They so close that the other officer ask what is this abnormal peacefulness..lol bromance begins.  Jung ho is the prime suspects for the murders in 1985 and present.  He was arrested for murder 10years ago and not for 1985.  Even though there similarities but there differences in the murder which leads us to think there may be 2 serial killer and not just one.  the flash back scene with Jung Ho seems like he witness a murder rather than him doing it.  

There is arsonist and through that case PGH finds more about his wife's whereabouts. He finds out he has a daughter and his wife died in a car accident.  Of course the whistle connects Prof Shin and PGH.  So pretty much know that she is his daughter.

on to ep 9 & 10

Ep 9 & 10

The scene of the accident and him looking at her pic before she died tugged at my heart.  He now is grieving for the lost of wife that he left in 1986 that is well and live.  I like what Sun Jae say to him for him to keep on going and find the culprit and find his daughter.  Another murder, again the stocking is used but no dots.  They are questioning if Jung Ho changed his method and no longer uses the dots.  It seems like both are the same except for the dots. I think the position of the bodies are different as well and something with women in skirts.  The experience that Prof Shin did in the classroom gives us a glimpse at the thought of the serial killer.  He wants attention for his murder but no one pays attention.  This is a clue for the viewers.  Jung Ho told them he did kill the girl but Hain River is not him so for sure, we should as viewers see there is two murderers and not one but how are they related.  Who is copying whom?  There is pressure from the top to solve this mystery and everyone is pretty much on edge (and the viewers too).  Prof Mok makes a comment can the king be caught?  Did Prof Shin or the other catch how PGH speaks as if he was there in 1986?  Chief made a comment that there is a reason all meet now?  They visit to Jung Ho wife (whom he killed) family gives more details about him and possibly a trigger for his murder (woman in skirts).  We learned that Jung Ho was put in psych ward by his parents and we learn the reason because he tried to choke his sister.  His mother does not want him out and he hears this.  Is this the trigger?  His mother? They are comparing the current murder vs the Haien River, the Prof Mok mentions one is killed immediately (haien) and the other was strangled repeatedly and took a while to die so he thinks it’s a different culprit.  They go on a search for Jung Ho but he slips away from them.   They head to Prof Shin’s house and Sun Jae finds out they PGH lives in the same apartment complex.  Liked the scene when PGH leaves them alone.  Last scene, the eight victims by the serial killer, 1st watch I was shocked and 2nd watched just same as I could not figure out that it was Prof Mok.  I was looking for clues this time around and the only thing I can think of his comment about can the king be caught while he played the chess game. There were not many clues for me.  Did someone noticed any clues that would lead to Prof Mok.  

Prof Mok “some people hide in the light instead of darkness” and the sun shines so glowingly on him.   He is definitely fooling everyone and he wants to be caught.  He wants acknowledgment from his murder as Prof Shin suspected in class experience and again mentions that when the found the 8th victim.   Both Sun Jae & PGH refutes the idea of two different murderer.   He was upset that the 5th victim survived and also the clues he gives them still can’t lead back to him.   The investigation continues and they PGH ask if they can check the ink of the pen used on the victims.  Sun Jae tells Prof Mok the reason why it’s the same guy is that he is the trigger and explains to him that his mother was killed by serial killer.   Prof Mok makes a comment on why they meet and that Sun Jae’s mother was not an innocent woman.  I wonder what he means by that.  Right now, I just can’t stand him and wants him caught.  The phone call between Jung-Ho and Sun Jae then later with Prof Shin was riveting.  It had me on the edge until the click.  We learned that his mother is the trigger.  This makes PGH angry at Prof Shin as he feels she doesn’t’ care about the victim and only cares for the murderer so she can write her research paper.  He calls her a cold-blooded robot.  Sun Jae wants PGH to apologize to her but he refuses.  Sun Jae apologize to her instead so sweet.  She asked him if he has family member he lost.  We find that ink is made of mixture of carbon black and iron oxide and it oil based and it’s waterproof and it last long.  This pen apparently toxic pen and no longer used so Prof Mok had it before it was discontinued.  He gives them so much clue to find him.  The pen was from the Shinhae manufacturing co. which happens to be owned by Jung Ho’s father.  So that is a connection between Jung Ho and Prof Mok.  Prof Shin goes and visit Prof Mok and gets the idea of being a bait for Jung Ho.  The team gathers together to go find Jung Ho at the old chemical plant location and I have to say love Sun Jae in black with his guns.  I think this was a good idea by prof shin at least tell someone your plan.  She goes and become the bait for Jung Ho and she goes with the whistle.   As she is going, she gets a phone call telling her someone is looking for her for Korea.  At the chemical plant, they do not find Jung Ho.  Prof Mok calls Sun Jae and tells them about Prof Shin’s plan …he is helping them find Jung Ho. Sun Jae friend called him and informed that Prof Shin is Yeon Ho.  PGH finds her since she blew the whistle and he finds her and sees the whistle he knows…this his daughter. The end...
On to ep 11&12.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, agenth said:

Sorry for this late reply.  It has been a week since.  Hope you are well now when reading this message.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:29 PM, partyon said:

This is an interview Choi Jin Hyuk gave regarding Tunnel:

Thank you for this.  So he knows he has deep, sexy voice.   He was the comedy Zombie Oppa that I like.

Hello @booha @tiMadam @joccu @partyon @Sleepy Owl chingus

I am back here but might take time to watch Tunnel.  I have watched Epi 5 and 6 , yet I still have to re-watch before I proceed to  Epi 7.  Please continue to write your summary or recap - don't worry about spoilers.  I am pretty slow in catching up, so will need to read up bit or ask stupid questions, if any.

Now on Epi 6

I like how the criminal detective Kwak Tae-hee  replied cheekily that  he and his partner are nothing compared to both PGH-KSJ pair, calling them maniacs as the most perfect pair.

tunnel_ep_6_4449.jpg?w=605&h=322

tunnel_ep_6_4448.jpg?w=605&h=319

Zoppa got a smartphone.  Haha!   He texted his Seon Jae , calling him an idiot and he himself a genius. 

Off to Epi 7 now

Archived