[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

7 hours ago, PurplrRain said:

This is my interpretation of novel HZ.

**Read the book with my limited Mandarin and the help of my SO. I stand to be corrected. Thanks!**

My impression of Helan Zhen from the novel was completely different compared to the drama. Sometimes I wonder, had the author made some changes, Helan Zhen would've been more memorable in the eyes of the viewers.... wishful thinking. Of course, he was a lot more abusive so in a way, I'm glad his character was written out fast.

The beginning of the book introduced him first and in fact, emphasized on his unwillingness to use Awu in his schemes. He once told her, "if you werent you, i..." and got cut off by one of the Helan guards ushering him to put the phosphorous belt on her! 

Not sure if anyone remember this scene when he compared Awu to his mom. I cannot remember if this is in the drama too,, can someone verify? Helan Zhen also mentioned something between the lines of "everything i love turns into dust," and something about "the more I like it, the faster it gets taken away." 

Personally, i think novel HZ love her, but his love for vengeance was bigger.

Back to the Drama HZ

Quite honestly, i'm so happy to see Yuan Hong portraying him. It's been a while since I've seen him in a memorial role *since his 13th prince days!! Lol*. While I am a Xiao Qi/Awu fan, I like to think about the possibilities had things been altered a bit. 

BTW did anyone notice how much attention HZ was giving Awu in the latter episodes??? Because of this, I think he does harbor feelings towards her. Just not sure if its love or simply admiration. Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprise if he uses Awu to bring Xiao Qi down. 

I stand to be corrected. TY

I think he mentioned on one of Awu's dialogues that what she said was similar to what his mom said/would say.This was during the kidnapping phase.I don't remember the exact episode.

2 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

Just saw one of those commentary video on YouTube, it seemed that it was Xiao Qi who had Zi Dan ascend the throne after the new Emperor's death. Of course being the son of the former Emperor and all. But Zi Dan did the stupidest thing and announced Wang Xuan as his Empress. Xiao Qi will not allowed such ludicrous nonsense and therefore within 3 days strip him of his throne and took the throne from him. The other option was to kill him, I suppose. But he did still owe Wang Xuan's life to him.

Xiao Qi in a way did what his own father in law couldn't.

No wonder Wang Xuan said he spent too much effort of romantic notion. Too much in the romantic novel fantasy.

Not sure where the You tuber got her facts from but it show the extension of Zi Dan's stupidity.

ewww I am feeling second hand embarrassment just reading this. What a truly shameless man. Waiting for the scene now where XQ will drag this clown out of the palace & kingdom forever:happy2:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Xiao Qi takes the role of protecting Wang Xuan seriously. If he had a sword at hand, he might have slash that noisy cousin, Wang Xian when she threw a stone into the water. After looking at her, The Empress Dowager is looking into another Miss Wang in the family as she too find her annoying.

Xiao Qi is really holding his cool with He Lan Zhen outright sniffing around his "Ah Wu". Because they came in a diplomatic mission, he has no choice as he warned He Lan Zhen's man that if it was the battlefield, it is another story.

I think it will really stretch his patience eventually General Song and Zi Dan comes into the flock as well.

You know the saying about women who can both excel in the kitchen and the hall which means they can managed the inwards and outwards of the home, our Xiao Qi can also apply as he is forceful in the battlefield but such a gentle husband.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

Just saw one of those commentary video on YouTube, it seemed that it was Xiao Qi who had Zi Dan ascend the throne after the new Emperor's death. Of course being the son of the former Emperor and all. But Zi Dan did the stupidest thing and announced Wang Xuan as his Empress. Xiao Qi will not allowed such ludicrous nonsense and therefore within 3 days strip him of his throne and took the throne from him. The other option was to kill him, I suppose. But he did still owe Wang Xuan's life to him.

Xiao Qi in a way did what his own father in law couldn't.

No wonder Wang Xuan said he spent too much effort of romantic notion. Too much in the romantic novel fantasy.

Not sure where the You tuber got her facts from but it show the extension of Zi Dan's stupidity.

LOL! Then he'll be doing exactly what the 2nd prince did. Snatching a woman that is already married. They're so much alike. Maybe they're real brothers after all..... Hahaha 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, Polly said:

LOL! Then he'll be doing exactly what the 2nd prince did. Snatching a woman that is already married. They're so much alike. Maybe they're real brothers after all..... Hahaha 

I like to see him asking Xiao Qi to sign the divorce papers.

I think I saw somewhere that Xiao Qi will have to fake his death (following father in law's footstep) and Wang Xuan will spent some time at He Lan country. She wore the ethnic clothes with a white flower in her hair.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 3

36/37  / 68 ....   That stupid cousin is allowed into Awu's private rooms in the mansion, full entrance to all the military hardware and Awu's current mansion...Allooo security ? 

By the way , what does Awu translate to....not mary jane ?

Ep 37 now joins my ep 18...in these two episodes i really like the relationship of this husband and wife. How is he supposed to tell her everything when she has been so sick and he would rather risk her being infertile instead of dead...I think I would pick that choice. If she knew then it would be another drama I guess.  If he shared info with Nanny who has a nanny mindset vs general mindset and long term vision - I guess I have to wait to see the rest of the drama LOL .....We do know Awu hates medicine so she would be her own worst enemy .  The curtain hide and seek at the end is so warm and heart fuzzy . 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

From the trailer at Weibo

Spoiler

Wang Xuan was bandaging Xiao Qi's wrist. Xiao Qi looked really uncomfortable so he must have been drugged. Wang Xuan asked him why he added contraceptives into her medicine. She asked whether he did not want to have any children. Xiao Qi said of course he does but her previous illness had left behind a serious condition that if she was to become pregnant, it will likely lead to miscarriage and when that happens, it will be life threatening to her. Phew! I am relieved that it is out in the open.

it would seemed like Wang Xian's seduction plan failed but Wang Su questioned Xiao Qi whether he did touched Wang Xian. Xiao Qi said No and Wang Su took his word of honour and said he will handle the matter. His brother in law praised him for his steadfast reserve that he would rather commit suicide to stay alert than fall into the trap because if he was himself he would have fallen into the trap. Xiao Qi said he never thought the one who proved his innocence was his own brother in law.

He Lan Zhen's plan made it looked like it was Xiao Qi who murdered the Emperor so Xiao Qi is cornered at a ravine. Most likely he will fake death and Wang Xuan gets taken to He Lan. So will she be the Miss Wang to be send for marriage to Hu Lan now she is a widow?

I hope Wang Su managing the situation with Wang Xian will be best to send her to marry he Lan Tuo. She will do the country a big favour and she will give He Lan Tuo a massive headache.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gingerchews said:

PLEASE DO NOT CLICK if you don't want to be spoiled

thanks for the spoiler. Omg what a heart break to see that, they definitely seems to have fallen in some betrayal troupe

i think I’ll be bawling when I see the actual episodes 

what’s with Helen guy, it was his cousins who put his mother in harms way. What xiao xii doesn’t clear the misunderstanding. Idk why our hero rescued him from falling of the mountain. This guy does t understand that he saved his life and only cut away his arm, He pays back in bad way. 

so I have to go through lot of heart break:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

29 minutes ago, ChristineH said:

:tounge_xd: In a way, he was.  They both were forced, but it just happened XQ's fallen for Awu after he saved her from the fall from the roof.  It was not so bad for him but bad for Awu at the time.  

@ChristineH I think you're mistaking the name - Wang Xuan is A'wu and Wang Qian is the bratty younger cousin :)

Edited by gingerchews
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, gingerchews said:

Found spoilers/trailers for the upcoming episodes (42-51). 

The compilation wasn't cut in order, but it seems to contain all the released trailers by Youku.

Thank you so much for the spoilers. The fighting scene cinematography is really awesome , as if we were inside the battle

Counting days to Thursday please come faster LOL

The compilation wasn't cut in order, but it seems to contain all the released trailers by Youku.

Thank you so much for the spoilers. The fighting scene cinematography is really awesome , as if we were inside the battle

1 hour ago, Kachan02 said:

thanks for the spoiler. Omg what a heart break to see that, they definitely seems to have fallen in some betrayal troupe

what’s with Helen guy, it was his cousins who put his mother in harms way. What xiao xii doesn’t clear the misunderstanding. Idk why our hero rescued him from falling of the mountain. This guy does t understand that he saved his life and only cut away his arm, He pays back in bad way. 

Yes. Some one or Awu may be later inform this to He Lan. It is He Lan Tuo that killed he lan's mom n fam.

• Like 1

Yes. Some one or Awu may be later inform this to He Lan. It is He Lan Tuo that killed he lan's mom n fam.

1 hour ago, jacquelinetan said:

Hide contents

Wang Xuan was bandaging Xiao Qi's wrist. Xiao Qi looked really uncomfortable so he must have been drugged. Wang Xuan asked him why he added contraceptives into her medicine. She asked whether he did not want to have any children. Xiao Qi said of course he does but her previous illness had left behind a serious condition that if she was to become pregnant, it will likely lead to miscarriage and when that happens, it will be life threatening to her. Phew! I am relieved that it is out in the open.

it would seemed like Wang Xian's seduction plan failed but Wang Su questioned Xiao Qi whether he did touched Wang Xian. Xiao Qi said No and Wang Su took his word of honour and said he will handle the matter. His brother in law praised him for his steadfast reserve that he would rather commit suicide to stay alert than fall into the trap because if he was himself he would have fallen into the trap. Xiao Qi said he never thought the one who proved his innocence was his own brother in law.

He Lan Zhen's plan made it looked like it was Xiao Qi who murdered the Emperor so Xiao Qi is cornered at a ravine. Most likely he will fake death and Wang Xuan gets taken to He Lan. So will she be the Miss Wang to be send for marriage to Hu Lan now she is a widow?

I think Hu yao's bro asked hu yao to exchange his sword with XQ's  and ruin his bro's face. So people cant recognize the face but people mistaken him as XQ based on the sword

1 hour ago, jacquelinetan said:

Hide contents

I think Hu yao's bro asked hu yao to exchange his sword with XQ's  and ruin his bro's face. So people cant recognize the face but people mistaken him as XQ based on the sword

41 minutes ago, Fenny Liong said:

From the spoiler for upcoming ep,its seems xiao qi hurt himself so he can escape from wang qian traps..So maybe wang qian use drug for seduce xiao qi..

Yes. I think XQ cut at wrist to keep him stay alert from the drug's effect.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

In ep 36/37 the sharp wit and understanding of Xiao Qi was again reinforced.He could understand that General Song's reason for taking gifts to Yunxia was anything but romantic,he didn't proble further just told him he doesn't care too much about the truth but would like his trusted aide to be by his side.(not betray him,I am guessing).

He even reads correctly that the shadow warrior of the Wang family was there to convey the news about Awu's father.

It would be interesting to see how such a sharp mind gets trapped in the machinations of Prince of Helan in the future.

I hope the the plot is intelligent and does not pull down the lofty pedestal it put the character of Xiao Qi up on.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

49 minutes ago, Nelly Lauw said:

Yes. I think XQ cut at wrist to keep him stay alert from the drug's effect.

That must scare the hell out of the noisy Wang Xian. The man rather kill himself than touch you. No appeal at all.

During the visit to Wang Mansion and they met for the first time, you note that Xiao Qi cannot stand her and her mother too. They spoke of women matters right in front of him. That is why Wang Xuan quickly excused him saying that he had important things to attend

• Like 7
  • LOL 1