[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

On 1/12/2021 at 7:55 PM, hush puppy said:

@Auniyshi S  I have not watched "Secret Of The Kingdoms".  Was it good?  Actually I did Not watch as many dramas as you all.  Because I'm "choosy".  Sometimes, I tried for a few minute or eps and then gave up.  Everybody complimented "The Story Of Rose & Tiger". I tried 6x.  Cannot catch on. I find it too flimsy - no solid story. Don't like the actress either.

I also gave up "Under The Power". Also tried many times because of the praises.

@celebrianna  Answering your question individually like this does not really throw light to the whole plot, which is more twisted, complicated.

1) 2nd Prince:  He is the man who is controlling everybody, leading them on a wild goose's chase - the Puppet Master.  He is not favoured by the Emperor because his mother is from a lower class.  So he is being resentful of his father and everyone.    He wanted revenge; he wanted the Throne.  So he sabotage everybody:

- he was the one who engineered the assasination attempt on the 3rd Prince Zidan. Thus sowing the seeds of distrust between the Emperor and the Queen.  Both the Emperor and the Imperial Consort (Zidan's mother) thought the Queen planned the assasination to prevent Zidan from challenging the throne.

- in this Story, it is a common notion among everyone that, the Ladies from the Wang Clan are the Emperor-Maker:  "Get Her And You Get The Entire Universe".  Because there are already 12 Queens from that clan. 

- that is why the Queen planned for the Crown-Prince to rape Princess Wang Xuan. Both the PM and his sister the Queen wants Princess Wang Xuan to marry the Crown Prince - continues the tradition of being Queen.  So that the Wang Clan stays influential.

But again was thwarted by the 2nd Prince.  He have the Switch made.  So the Crown Prince raped the Imperial Consort's niece, Zidan's (3rd Prince) sister - Xie Wan Ru instead. 

Aim:  So that both the Wang and Xie Clan does not get what they want, the Throne, the Power. The Wang Family does not make another Queen.  The Xie Family does not get General Xiao Qi as their son-in-law. And start to plot against each other.  Intensifying the Enmity among the Emperor, Queen and the PM. Leaving the coast clear for himself (the 2nd Prince) to ascend the throne.

2) The Deaf & Mute Taoist Priest who is the Confidante of the Emperor is Neither deaf nor mute. He is the PM's man.  Planted there to learn of the Emperor's every thought and move. Brilliant isn't it?

3) The PM: Since he couldn't get his daughter to become Queen, he went for the Next Best Choice.  Which is General Xiao Qi. He wanted to retrieve the "Imperial Tiger's Seal" which is the Military Seal.  Whoever possesses it has Absolute Power over the Entire Military Force.  And this Seal is with General Xiao Qi.   Interesting, isn't it?

4) Princess Wang Xuan:  Another reason why she married the General - is to save Zidan's life.  But also another excuse concorted by the Queen to get her marry the General.  In other words the Queen is helping her brother. (Which is why General Xiao Qi told Princess, she is a Pawn of both the Queen and the PM)

5) 3rd Prince Zidan: He chose Revenge over Love. That is why he didn't turn up to elope with Princess Wang Xuan.  He later changed his mind. But too late. It showed that he is quite a soft person.  Not that wise and decisive as the General.  So I'm glad the Princess (as I would for any lady) got the General instead.

6) Xie Wan Ru (Zidan's sister the one who married the Crown Prince): She thought Princess Wang Xuan has betrayed her brother.  So she turned Spiteful.  I don't like the Princess's maid who easily went for Zidan.  I don't like this kind of plot. So these 2 ladies will become Princess Wang Xuan's arch enemies 

I also don't like plots where Men binged-drink when they are upset and then made love to the wrong ladies.  It happened here with Zidan.  So I don't sympathise with him anymore.

7) The Emperor:  He was the one who planned the Kidnapping of Princess Wang Xuan. To thwart the PM's plan.  Frightening isn't it?  The emperor loves the Princess so much.  But will not hesitate to hurt/sacrifice her when needs arise.  His Hatred for the PM outstriped his Love for Princess Wang Xuan.  Again, the Princess became someone's else Pawn

So the only People Worth Admiring In The End Are:  Princess Wang Xuan and General Xiao Qi. Couldn't wait for the ensuing developments.....

In which episode did you find out that the emperor planned the kidnapping of WX? I thought he had been unconscious for a while!

21 hours ago, hell59 said:

In which episode did you find out that the emperor planned the kidnapping of WX? I thought he had been unconscious for a while!

Ep 9 36.00 - 39.00  The emperor has regained consciousness.  Pretending to be crazy in public.  

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@jacquelinetan  Princess Wang Xuan has matured - emotionally and intellectually. But Zidan has stayed stagnant.  Which is why some relationships break up after several years.  Because one party has not kept up with the other.

Being doted on by everyone in the palace since birth, does give one the Self-Confidence and at times Arrogance. But this Princess is not as "arrogant" as some heroines in other dramas (period or modern).  So she is easily likeable.

Even at ep 17, when they were defending the city, she cautioned the soldiers not to harm those captured unnecessarily.  She has Humane qualities.  Which even most Commoners may not have.

@celebrianna  Yes.  From now on, she can only trust her mom, herself and her Knight in the Shinning Armour - General Xiao Qi

As for her maid, she also wanted it.  Otherwise Crown Princess Xie Wan Ru will never be able to trick her.  I'm worried. Because Wan Ru has sent her to harm Princess Wang Xuan.  I hope it fails.  

And Now, we have to wait till next Monday to watch our General Xiao Qi come and save her Beloved Princess and the city.  This will be the 5th time he has saved her.  Even the most Hardened Heart will melt with this Man.

It took some time for Princess Wang Xuan to fall in love with General Xiao Qi because:

- She was initially already madly in love with Ma Zidan

- Of the difference in status.  Right from their very first meeting, she described him as "Unrefined" (粗人-cu ren).  Even after marriage, when the General opened her room window at his camp.  She was "prejudiced" because of her upbringing and also having spent all her life in the Palace. Never ventured outside to mix with people of other status.

- Anger: He left her on their Wedding Night. Leaving her embarrassed, humiliated.

- Of a Misunderstanding.  Right from the beginning, she thought it was the General who used his Military Skills and Power, to force this Marriage from the Palace.

Until General Xiao Qi told her it was otherwise.  Xiao Qi is always a Gentleman. He told her he already knew she had a lover. So would never tear them apart. (Even though he likes her at first sight).  Until the Empress issued the Royal Decree which he was not allowed to reject.  So he was the one who was being Forced.

And when he told her how her father (PM) coaxed (or can we say "Begged") him 3X to marry her daughter, Princess Wang Xuan was completely ashamed.  

But the General was so Gentle and Patient with her

I remembered his 1, 2, 3rd saved her, i dont get the 4th, in what ep is it? 

He really is a lion in the battlefield yet so gentle to his wife. He can hide his feeling that he loves her at first sight

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, Auniyshi S said:

1)   I remembered his 1, 2, 3rd saved her, i dont get the 4th, in what ep is it? 

2)  He really is a lion in the battlefield yet so gentle to his wife. He can hide his feeling that he loves her at first sight

@Auniyshi S 

1) When they first met. He saved her from Zidan's Assassins

2) He caught her when she fell after fleeing from the Rapist - Crown Prince

3) He saved her from the Kidnapper at the Hanging Bridge

4) He saved her again in Ep 13, when they were on a date - while fleeing from the Assassins sent to kill General Xiao Qi and herself. The Assasin was about to strike her with his sword.  General Xiao Qi killed him just in the nick of time.

So this will be the 5th time - to Save her

2)  Yes. We call this  "Self-Control".  He has the patience to wait till she is willing and return his feelings before he consumates their marriage.  Even more remarkable is, it has been 3 Long Years since he left her on the wedding night.  When they met again, it is to save her.  He must have felt very bad to have left her like that.

I admire him because even though the ladies at his camp were so crazy over him: wearing the princess's jewelries, waiting to be made side-concubines.  Yet he never lay a finger on them. Nor gave them a second look.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

33 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

@Auniyshi S 

1) When they first met. He saved her from Zidan's Assasins

2) He caught her when she fell after fleeing from the Rapist - Crown Prince

3) He saved her from the Kidnapper at the Hanging Bridge

4) He saved her again in Ep 13, when they were on a date - while fleeing from the Assasins sent to kill General Xiao Qi and herself. The Assasin was about to strike her with his sword.  General Xiao Qi killed him just in the nick of time.

So this will be the 5th time - to Save her

2)  Yes. We call this  "Self-Control".  He has the patience to wait till she is willing and return his feelings before he consumates their marriage.  Even more remarkable is, it has been 3 Long Years since he left her on the wedding night.  When they met again, it is to save her.  He must have felt very bad to have left her like that.

I admire him because even though the ladies at his camp were so crazy over him: wearing the princess's jewelries, waiting to be made side-concubines.  Yet he never lay a finger on them. Nor gave them a second look.

Ahhhh yeah correct, i watched it in ep 13.

Sadly, i watched it raw. I dont understand whole story and skipped many part except them.

When subs is on i rewatched. 

This drama made me want to learn Mandarin language.

Oh wait, he left her for 3 years?

OMG!

and nothing can change his heart to her.

OMG! What a rare man, especially in ancient era. 

Now I understand the reason no Xiao Qi scene in ep 15, 16 and a glimpse scene only in ep 17

Xiexie ni, wo de pengyou!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Wang Xuan's former maid under the Crown Princess' false claims was given poison to poison Wang Xuan and need a snow lotus which will be given to her by He Lan Zhen. I believe He Lan Zhen fell for the same qualities as did Xiao Qi.

I liked it that Xiao Qi told the drunken Wang Xuan that she can always be the same playful girl that he first met at the festival in his company. Pampering his young wife and took her out to have some fun before settling her down to some bad news from her maternal home. If it was not for that letter, she was packing to join Xiao Qi to his next campaign.

Loved the soldiers' loyalty to their Wang Fei.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacquelinetan said:

Wang Xuan's former maid under the Crown Princess' false claims was given poison to poison Wang Xuan and need a snow lotus which will be given to her by He Lan Zhen. I believe He Lan Zhen fell for the same qualities as did Xiao Qi.

I liked it that Xiao Qi told the drunken Wang Xuan that she can always be the same playful girl that he first met at the festival in his company. Pampering his young wife and took her out to have some fun before settling her down to some bad news from her maternal home. If it was not for that letter, she was packing to join Xiao Qi to his next campaign.

Loved the soldiers' loyalty to their Wang Fei.

Wait, are you saying that the former maid poisoned Wang Xuan and she can only be cured by the guy who tried to rape her? Sorry, all I can think of him is that he’s an attempted rapist. Don’t like men who force themselves on women. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 9:35 PM, celebrianna said:

Wait, are you saying that the former maid poisoned Wang Xuan and she can only be cured by the guy who tried to rape her? Sorry, all I can think of him is that he’s an attempted rapist. Don’t like men who force themselves on women. 

@celebrianna  The Crown Princess Wan Ru hated Princess Wang Xuan now. She wanted to match-made her maid with Zidan - in order to win her favour and use her against Wang Xuan in future.

When her cousin-brother Zidan went to Hui Zhou to save Wang Xuan, she was infuriated.  So she hatched a plan to get rid of Wang Xuan. How? By using her former maid.  This crazy maid want to be with Zidan so badly.  Wan Ru told her that if she wants to have Zidan, she must get rid of the shadow (Wang Xuan) which is distracting him.  Wan Ru told the maid that she has let Zidan ate one of the pill. (It is a Lie of course).  She asked the maid to give the other to Wang Xuan. It will dilute their love for each other.

The crazy maid asked if this pill will hurt one's health.  Wan Ru said no.  It'll only affect their feelings for each other. Meaning they will stop loving each other. Then the maid can have Zidan to herself. But in actual fact, it is a Poison to finish off Wang Xuan.

Spoiler

As for the Antidote - the Snow Lotus from Helan Zhen. That will come in the ensuing episodes....  Should be under Spoilers.

This crown princess is not a good person by nature.  She is the type that blame others for her own misfortunes:

- She is  jealous because her husband (Crown Prince) obviously still cares for Princess Wang Xuan. 

- She blames the Wang Family for the fall of her own, which is understandable. And Princess Wang Xuan happens to be from the Wang Family.

- She also hated Wang Xuan for betraying Zidan. 

That is why it is always good to tell the Truth. Rather than keeping the truth so that the other party will not be hurt.  Or pretending not to love him anymore. So that he can move forward.  All these will create even more misunderstandings.

That is another reason why I admire General Xiao Qi.  He always let Princess Wang Xuan knows the Truth - no matter how painful it is.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

The wedding was so gorgeous. Vibrant and yet sad 
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

His quiet longing :cries:

It’s probably was for the best he went away for three years (is it really three years ??yeesh, they need better indicators of time lol), can allow her to grieve without the presence of him ( I mean also so the Wang clan don’t start pushing her and Xiao to do their bidding) 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

This drama is so good - very addictive.  The pace is just right.  Not too fast. Not too slow.

It may be too cruel to finish off the entire Xie Clan.  But sparing them only courts Vengeance.  Since then there are Non-Stop problems for Princess Wang Xuan and her General.  Because the Emperor, the Xie Clan, Ma Zilu all needs to cut-off the Wang Lin-General Xiao Qi Military Alliance.

The Emperor is equally ruthless.  Without  PM Wang Lin's assistance, he'll never be the Emperor. He lacks the qualities. But after that he turned against him.  Neglected the Empress who is the PM's sister, and acquired a Xie daughter as his Imperial Consort, to check and balance the Wang Family. 

Can't really blame Princess Wang Xuan's father.  He also needs to protect himself.

General Jian Ning's (the Emperor's brother) strategy is brilliant.  He tricked General Xiao Qi to go after him. While he attacks  Hui Zhou, en-route to capturing the Capital and the Throne for his son.  (So 2nd Prince Ma Zilu is not the Emperor's son)

However, it gave Princess Wang Xuan the opportunity to show Her Leadership Quality.  She was smart to persuade General Jian Ning to give them an extra day.  That will allow her husband, General Xiao Qi just enough time to come and save them.

I'm sure General Xiao Qi will be very Proud of her.  She is worthy of being his Wife.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@hush puppy, I wish I could discuss this show more with you but can you imagine that we only have four fully subbed episodes while you’re already on 17? Heh. So thank you so much for updating us on the story. I’m far behind. I didn’t understand why Wanru turned against A’Wu but your points make sense. I thought maybe she blamed A’Wu because the crown prince assaulted her instead of A’wu but turns out she has more reasons according to your points. 

So second prince is not the son of the emperor? I didn’t see that coming at all. Anyway, since episode 3 was finally subbed, I do understand now why A’wu’s father decided not to be passive but began scheming against the emperor.

Who exactly killed the tutor Gu? Was it the second prince and his hidden backer or some other party? 

• Like 2

(Posted on: Friday, 15 January 2021)

This clip summarised up "The Rebel Princess" for us. You can see :

- General Xiao Qi arriving to their rescue

- General Xiao Qi & Princess Wang Xuan has a son and a daughter in the end

They went through countless trials and tribulations before they could find happiness. Because everyone in the Palace is after them, want them dead.  They have no desire to join the Palace's tussle for power.  But their opponents leave them no choice but to take actions. This is a very Beautiful & Enduring Love Story

• Love 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, hush puppy said:

(Posted on: Friday, 15 January 2021)

This clip summarised up "The Rebel Princess" for us. You can see :

- General Xiao Qi arriving to their rescue

- General Xiao Qi & Princess Wang Xuan has a son and a daughter in the end

They went through countless of trials and tribulations before they could find happiness. Because everyone in the Palace are after them, want to kill them.  They have no desire to particpate in the Palace's tussle for power.  But their enemies leave them no choice but to take actions. This is a very Beautiful & Enduring Love Story

Oooh i want to cry ...

This drama is sooo beautiful

I love everything in it!

And thanks for your info that this drama will have a happy ending

Aaah my heart!

And i love this soundtrack so much!

May i know where can i find the english lyrics of it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just binged watched all 17 episodes and wow, I am hooked. The first few episodes were a bit hard to digest, but things do get more interesting after that. This drama that reminds me of Love and Destiny - we got to see the character develops and how they main leads slowly falls in love. Even after they fall in love it stays interesting. It's hard for me to find dramas that will catch my interest like this lately. I usually get bored after the couples confessed because it gets too predicable.

The actors have great chemistry. Xiao Qi grows on you, he's pretty handsome with the long hair. As for the actress that plays the Princess, I read that a lot of people are complaining about her age, it's really not that big of a deal. She's doing one heck of a job. I just imagined that the ages of the characters were in their early 20s, that worked for me lol. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

The Theme Song - "At All Corners Of The Earth".  An extremely lovely and haunting love song...

Aaaa xie xie ni!

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

The Theme Song - "At All Corners Of The Earth".  An extremely lovely and haunting love song...

Wonderful song and lyrics!

On 1/14/2021 at 5:49 PM, Auniyshi S said:

Oh wait, he left her for 3 years?

OMG!

and nothing can change his heart to her.

OMG! What a rare man, especially in ancient era. 

Now I understand the reason no Xiao Qi scene in ep 15, 16 and a glimpse scene only in ep 17

@Auniyshi S  In the novel, they were separated for 3 long years after the Wedding Night.  In this drama, they shortened  it to 3 months.

In a way I thank the Kidnappers.  Otherwise they would not be re-united.  

The Emperor not only ordered the Kidnapping of Princess Wang Xuan.  But also to kill General Xiao Qi.  Which is why in Ep 10, when General Xiao Qi set out to rescue his Princess, he first had the Emperor's Envoy encircled and killed.   He is not stupid.

That's why I said the Emperor is equally Ruthless. Ungrateful as well.  Once he did not need you, he will not hesitate to have you killed.

He would not have been the Emperor, if PM Wang Lin had not helped him. The PM has Military Support. While the Emperor's 2 other brothers were also vying for the throne then.  One of the brothers is the current General Jian Ning, Second Prince Ma Zilu's biological father.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

@hush puppy, what was the emperor’s motivation to have A’Wu kidnapped? Was it his way of maneuvering Xiao Qi’s death?

Does her father suspect the emperor was behind it? Does the mother realize her brother schemed against her precious daughter?

Why does A’Wu’s brother seem to hate his wife? Is she a soy or something?

• Like 2