[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

All this talk of advanced episodes makes want to binge watch the raw episodes but I must be strong :Fist1:

I have to say I find the General Song’s actor much more attractive than I did in Joy of Life lol but then again Xiao’s people are pretty attractive in their armour and general competences. 

This drama is absolutely gorgeous, I keep coming back to the horse riding scenes of ep 13, just beautiful. I hope those quieter scenes come up a few times as a breather got out couple cause RickRoll'D is going to be real for a long time. 

I want to ask for those in the know, how’s the rating/reception in China for this drama going? All I saw in passing is that’s it’s trending on Weibo

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

30 minutes ago, tazmin said:

@tazmin

I want to ask for those in the know, how’s the rating/reception in China for this drama going? All I saw in passing is that’s it’s trending on Weibo

im not 100% sure (my chinese is not great but i do follow the drama on weibo for spoilers) and my general understanding is that the drama isn't really resonating with chinese audiences as most of them complained about ZZYs age and her playing a character thats supposedly 15. 

a few days ago, the drama was trending on weibo but it wasnt for a good reason. at least, from what i saw - in one of the episodes, ZZY was wearing sneakers and production didnt catch the mistake. so the production company issued an apology.

again, i dont read chinese so plz correct me if im wrong!

Edited by pewpew mew
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, tazmin said:

All this talk of advanced episodes makes want to binge watch the raw episodes but I must be strong

I have to say I find the General Song’s actor much more attractive than I did in Joy of Life lol but then again Xiao’s people are pretty attractive in their armour and general competences. 

This drama is absolutely gorgeous, I keep coming back to the horse riding scenes of ep 13, just beautiful. I hope those quieter scenes come up a few times as a breather got out couple cause RickRoll'D is going to be real for a long time. 

don't binge, you'll have to wait for a week for more episodes if you do! 

hahahaha i think it's because his hair in Joy of Life look kind of...questionable, the lighting isn't as good either.

It wasn't recieve too well with initial broadcast due to age of the entire cast + story (they expected more due to zzy participation/investing + investment level + production team, smarter schemes, less tropey plot), but there's some that end up liking the otp and the acting. It's probably the webdrama drawing the most attention right now, tv dramas have two well rated and reasonably popular poverty related dramas, but those have really different target audience.

• Like 5

Personally, watching drama is all about the entertainment. No need to have a course in dissection on what it is in the real world.

I took note of the change in dynamics for Xiao Qi and Zi Dan. Zi Dan finally acknowledge that Xiao Qi is the one who always rescues Wang Xuan as he told her that "Your hero has returned". Xiao Qi said he is thankful to Zi Dan for saving "my Wang Fei" (denote the word "my").

I love the little hint of jealousy. As for Wang Xuan, as long as anyone who harbour just an interest, she get rid of them immediately.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Auniyshi S said:

Ep 15

Was watching it with sub and i cant believe myself that i finished it without skip any scene.

Instead of skipping it i keep saying OMG! OMG! LOL :lol:

First time in my life, i watched drama and i dont mind that there wasnt OTP scene. LOL

I really enjoyed the plot and pace.

I admired AW too.

She's so smart, brave, fast learner and good negotiator.

I love strong FL like her.

Thanks to the writer for creating such character.

@Auniyshi S  one of the reason I enjoy this drama it is because I don’t fast forward any of the scenes. The acting and the story are sound deserves my full attention.
 @Polly
  Thank you for the spoilers. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, pewpew mew said:

im not 100% sure (my chinese is not great but i do follow the drama on weibo for spoilers) and my general understanding is that the drama isn't really resonating with chinese audiences as most of them complained about ZZYs age and her playing a character thats supposedly 15. 

a few days ago, the drama was trending on weibo but it wasnt for a good reason. at least, from what i saw - in one of the episodes, ZZY was wearing sneakers and production didnt catch the mistake. so the production company issued an apology.

again, i dont read chinese so plz correct me if im wrong!

I was once also turned off by the age thing, but after watching the first I didn't care. She fit the role perfectly and she is doing a phenomenal job. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

I think, the generals respect and loyal to Awu is not because she is a princess and a wife of their Master only. They experinced Awu leadership similar to their Master. Bold yet forgiving. Not to forget Awu's strategic to quell the messy.
She is indeed one of a kind.

Best part of Ep 16
When AW said to Yuxiu three times, "He'll make it!"
Referred to XQ who will help them.
She trust her husband very much.
One of the foundation of marriage is trust.
XQ are lucky to have AW and vice versa.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Enjoying the drama as it unfolds  :)   I am on ep 16/68 so I am expecting a lot of births, deaths, love and war in the next 52 episodes.  Whatever happens it is meant to happen.  I am definitely looking forward to ep 18 , based on the preview there is one man who is sooo in love with his wife (i saved the picture of him when ge entered after the gate opened :innocent:)   and the wife throwing the etiquette to the wind and running with such confidence and trust .

from a different site another  Chingu shared 

She been hardcore since little. What they call Regency romance a hellion tomboy

She a princess that always did what she wanted. 
She competed with the three princes on an equal basis. She a tomboy growing up un restricted. She climbs trees, sneaks out of the palace. If boys can ride she can. She was taught military skills by jumping on the map of the country. So archery, riding, maybe hunting and fishing etc. We even see her retaliate against the crown prince at age 6-7 be laying an ambush. Her running to uncle king was well thought out strategy to avoid punishment. 
You think a young girl holding her own against 3 boys is not going to grow up tough? 
She lived in the Prime minster home set the kitchen on fire and escaped to the palace on her own to avoid family discipline. at 6-7.

Her father said she was better man than her bother.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

OMG, Awu!

Very brave to stand in front of King Jianning and his army.

If it was me, i might be trembled, made water and fainted. LOL!

In the beginning of ep 17, when Awu discussed with the Generals about the current situation and her step to handle it, amazed me!

She's an extraordinary woman, able to talk such a heavy topic.

I wonder, did the Generals realize that they spoke in front of their future leader? A wonder woman!

I like Mu Lian's wife too. She is also a reliable woman!

I love when Awu said because she is Princess Yuzhang, she must go through thick and thin with the soldier. She knew her responsibility being a princess and a wife of lord yuzhang. It's not just a title. It's a mandate. How i admire her! I love u Awu!

And I'm sorry to 3rd Prince.

King Jianning should called weak woman to him, not to Awu.

Cowardly prince, please go away!

Oh .. Awu's father, he is such an evil! 

I'm glad Awu is totally different from her father.

Edited by Auniyshi S
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2021 at 5:13 AM, Polly said:

Agree. ZYW's acting is very subtle. Loved him since Tribes and Empires and recently in The Message. He is such an under-rated actor. Glad that ZZY recognised his acting talent and hand picked him as her ML. He is like an union, many layers. I also liked the camp fire scene where he pulled her over with his big longing eyes. 

Yay, another fan of our tribal leader Shuo Feng He Ye

I am lurker.  I didn't think since Winter Begonia that would find another C drama to be obsessed about, but here I am. That and Mr Queen are fulfilling my need. When it was first announced that Zhang Ziyi would be making her drama debut and with Zhou YiWei no less, I was excited, but the long wait lose hope it would ever be aired. Lo-and-behold, it is finally on my screen and I am squealing!! I knew these two wouldn't disappoint me.  

On 1/18/2021 at 1:32 PM, Chibi8535 said:

For those thirsting for the ML (it's quite understandable, and please let me join in too)... and those who are sad about the lukewarm reactions c-netz seem to be giving...
This is giving me major flashbacks of 2017, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms era, where Mark Chao was considered to be too 'ugly' and 'old looking' to be playing Yehua. And look how everybody ate their words, and fell in absolute love with him and his portrayal. I refused to check out TMOPB because of this 'anti' sentiment which made me prejudiced against the actor, and didn't pick it up until 2019. Quarter-way in, and I was swooning SO hard, and found him SO good-looking!:flushed:

Same with the lead in the Rebel Princess...
I was in that 'I'm not too sure about the ML' mood, from the posters, THEN I saw the trailer and the first episode, and have been fangirling SO hard, ever since!!:love: Also kind of sad he isn't getting a lot of screentime. (And wouldn't in the future, because we keep going back and forth with the palace, where ZZY will be)

I am happy because while 'older' actors are always compared to flower-boys, they end up being perfectly cast for such roles, their presence continues to impress on-screen, and their talent obliterates any arguments against them...
i absolutely cannot wait for the 13th episode (watching with subs)... Xiao Qi deserves ALL the love!:heart:

It is funny how you mentioned Mark Chao and TMOPB, which was officially my first C drama and the one that would remain in my heart, mainly because of Mark's portrayal of a cold prince who falls in love.  He made my heart fluttered.  To me, ZYW is in the same branch of acting as Mark; he can emote well, find the balance between emotions and show with a gaze how much he loves the FL.  Not too many actors, especially the younger/fresh blood.  I. can count on my hands the young actors who can.  It is tiresome to watch dead fish acting as love interest who have to spell that they are in love instead of showing it. 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

On 1/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, galea said:

Bloody hell how did you figure that out so quickly?! Hahahahah, and from my description of her as well, that's hilarious. Yeah! It's her, I'm really enjoying her posts about this drama, it's how I found out about ZYW being part of the cast actually. I knew Zhang Ziyi was in it but I didn't know he was a main lead too. 

And I agree, sometimes I feel conflicted when trying to decide whether or not I should look at the ratings on douban. They can be either very useful or just downright baffling at times. I mean, the type of drama matters as well as to how trustworthy the audience's feedback is, but I couldn't really figure out what the problem was using Google translate for the douban reviews for this drama.

During the airing of Winter Begonia, Douban rating were quite low, so I learn not to rely on it.  After it finished airing and with early fans raving, the ratings suddenly rose up to 9.0.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ValentineJ said:

During the airing of Winter Begonia, Douban rating were quite low, so I learn not to rely on it.  After it finished airing and with early fans raving, the ratings suddenly rose up to 9.0.  

it's 8.1? Winter Begonia specifically got hate in the beginning for producer Yu Zheng (known for plagiarism but also incredibly good at marketing and catching up to trends before the audience is tired of it) + Huang Xiaoming (he have a string of terrible dramas + thought he was in this for quick cash grab). It steadily rose as it was airing, pretty fair rating i think? 7+ is decent for cdramas, 8+ was pretty rare before, now you get a handful or two every year.

Douban is decent gauge for how cnet receive a drama, but they are subject to scandals/plagiarism issues/promotion direction as well as expectation levels and what genre it is. Thrillers will get its plot turned over and over for logic plot holes, long dramas usually have pacing issues, historical dramas that depict real historical figures will get slammed for historical inaccuracy, but fluffy romcom will get rated on how good looking otp is, chemistry + if the plot/concept is fresh.

6 hours ago, hallee said:

Where can i see the Douban rating of Cdramas?? Is it different from the Mydramalist ratings posted on their website?? :innocent:

MDL rates way way wayyyyy higher than douban. Popular dramas oversea are often in the 5 and 6 range.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 2

38 minutes ago, hallee said:

OhEmGee! Youtube’s  Episode 18 english subtitle is giving me a headache! It seems like they use an auto translate app that makes so many funny and incorrect translations! :weary:

Yeah I just couldn't watch it, am waiting for Viki to put up subs argh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1