[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, sp17jcshipper said:

Oh thank goodness I was kinda upset for a minute there lol. If its after some time when they have grown old together then its all good. Am smiling again:tounge_wink:

I hear you. :lol: Even though I read in earlier posts on this thread that she died in the novel epilogue, not for a moment did I think this show would have a sad ending. Another member also said that the novel author said the drama ending will be different so who knows how it will end. They already changed several things from what others have said on the thread like the storyline for A’wu’s former maid and Zitan. 

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Auniyshi S said:

Please go to duboku.com

I love to read The Rebel Princess review and recap here.

It helps me a lot to understand the whole story before watching with sub (except you dont like a spoiler :blush:).

She is updating her recap and review each ep.

Her review and recap is currently at ep 19.

https://cyn-lynn.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-rebel-princess-recap-and-review.html?m=1

Thank you so much for sharing these sites for those advance episodes! It helps a lot to read the synopsis since this drama is quite complicated.:loveu:

• Love 1

@celebrianna @UnniSarah I interpreted general song's smile in ep 14 as a smile of admiration and respect, as Awu made resolute and just decisions by releasing all innocent maids and benevolently allowing the head maid to meet her hubby. I don't think he is betraying them yet because in the later episodes, during the 2nd prince's revolt, Awu actually passed the hu fu (tiger talisman to control the whole army) to General Song hoping that he can gather the army to counter the 2nd prince who is keeping everyone in prisoned in the Palace. If General Song was corrupted, he could have taken off then, as the hu fu is already in his possession but instead he did what Awu instructed. In the course of it, he got tortured and almost died if XQ didnt come in time. 

@halleeAs of ep 31, Jiner is still roaming around the Yuzhang Manor. It's like having a ticking time bomb in your house brrrr. 

@Leila Essalih The back story about that kid is not explained yet and I think the drama is deliberately throwing us a red herring. I highly doubt it's his. It's likely his benefector's kid/grandkid. 

@sp17jcshipper In ep 29, Awu discovered that she was pregnant. It was very sweet and she was looking forward to tell XQ on her birthday. But at the same time the 2nd prince and her PM father revolted and she had to go through a couple of stressful events. The emperor died, her mother committed suicide to stop the PM's revolt and she was also pushed by the empress who wanted the snatch the emperor's edict from Awu (before his passing, the emperor entrusted the succession edict to Awu). So she miscarried and XQ only knew then that Awu was pregnant. The miscarriage scene was quite sad with XQ waiting in front of the bedroom while the maids were busy carrying bloody water etc. 

@Fenny Liong It's the dowager empress' ploy to create havoc in XQ and Awu's marriage. She is scared that XQ will become too powerful and undermine/threaten her son's position. Hence, she suggested to her son to reward XQ with an amnesty card hoping that Awu will ask for the card to save her father. This may sow discord between the couple, as XQ is a very righteous man and her dad did try to usurp the throne, which ought to be punished with a death penalty. Saving the PM with the card will also negatively affect XQ's army morale and their perception of Awu (i.e. messaging that her father is above the rest. Even though he has commited a serious crime he doesn't have to be punished for it). I really dislike the dowager for this move. After all, Awu and XQ did save her from that eunuch attack and the 2nd prince and PM revolt. She is so ungrateful. She is literally not sparing any effort to secure her incompetent son's position. Xie Wan Ru is the empress now and she is pregnant. There is definitely going to be some cat fight between the mother and daughter in laws. 

For those who have caught up to the latest episodes. I'm curious what you think of XQ's expression when the maid ran to his study room telling him that Awu is drunk again. He seemed visibly annoyed. For a moment I thought he was going to scold Awu but it didn't happen when Awu woke up the next morning. 

Edited by Polly
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

24 minutes ago, Polly said:

@halleeAs of ep 31, Jiner is still roaming around the Yuzhang Manor. It's like having a ticking time bomb in your house brrrr. 

@Polly OhEmGee! So there is one more monster out there to hurt Awu! Thanks so much for constantly giving updates and spoilers...it truly helps a lot in watching those advance raw episodes! :hooray2:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leila Essalih said:

i wached episode 30 in raw and i think  XIAO XI has a secret son . can any one confirm that? 

I'm way way way behind but i think it's fairly unlikely as well. He doesn't have one in the novel and there's no reason to give him one in the drama. The otp semi adopts about 3 kids (for different reasons) in the novel, this could be one of them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fenny Liong said:

Am already on ep 31..Its seems that new emperor want to separate Awu and Xiao Qi? 

The new Emperor is a mama's boy. He is just listening to his mother. Emperor wants to reward Xiao Qi for his help in the two rebellion. Mother told him to give Xiao Qi a "Death Free Medal" the kind that can prevent you from being executed by the Emperor. 

Mother is hoping that Wang Xuan will ask Xiao Qi for the medal to save her father. Knowing Xiao Qi's character he will refuse hence causing a rift between husband and wife. Even Xiao Qi relents and do as his wife's request, his men will not approve hence will not be happy with Wang Xuan too.

The Empress Dowager is not aware of our couple's relationship. She probably basis on her own experience that marriage is all wheeling and dealing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Polly said:

@Polly

For those who have caught up to the latest episodes. I'm curious what you think of XQ's expression when the maid ran to his study room telling him that Awu is drunk again. He seemed visibly annoyed. For a moment I thought he was going to scold Awu but it didn't happen when Awu woke up the next morning. 

Ahhh! I noticed that too! When I first saw that scene, I thought it was slightly out of character as we've never seen him so noticeably annoyed with her before. But maybe he's annoyed because she's drunk again and is hurting her own health by drinking so much. Because as soon as XQ picked her up to bring her back to their rooms, the maid asked "Do you think the general is mad?" (probably asking what we're all thinking) and Yu Xiu answered back with a smile: "The general doesn't have the heart (to be mad at Awu)." 

Maybe this is the director's way of showing that their relationship isn't perfect, that there are moments when you get slightly annoyed with the other person but you still love them (especially when you see them hurting themselves with a bad habit, such as binge drinking).

I was also thinking maybe a scene was cut and we missed an argument? Before this scene, we saw that Awu tried to visit Zi Dan to check up on his wound. However, she was prevented from going in by the Crown Princess. The Yuzhang household steward told the general that Awu came back but was upset (because she wasn't allowed to go inside to see Zi Dan). Then the general went and found her by their house pond and the scene cuts. Maybe they had a slight argument about Zi Dan (as we know the general is slightly jealous of their previous relationship) and because of that, he thought she was drinking because she missed/was sad about Zi Dan?

Edited by gingerchews
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

It is sad that Wang Xuan was working really hard to settle her parents' misunderstanding/problem. It was going well in her mind when the family of 4 shared a day together and when she learned of the good news that she was pregnant, she wanted to share that good news on her birthday. Like a double celebration.

She gave some hint of the secret when she told Xiao Qi that her mother would like a grand daughter that looked like Wang Xuan while she would like a chubby baby that looked like Xiao Qi.

10 minutes ago, gingerchews said:

Ahhh! I noticed that too! When I first saw that scene, I thought it was slightly out of character as we've never seen him so noticeably annoyed with her before. But maybe he's annoyed because she's drunk again and is hurting her own health by drinking so much. Because as soon as XQ picked her up to bring her back to their rooms, the maid asked "Do you think the general is mad?" (probably asking what we're all thinking) and Yu Xiu answered back with a smile: "The general doesn't have the heart (to be mad at Awu)." 

Maybe this is the director's way of showing that their relationship isn't perfect, that there are moments when you get slightly annoyed with the other person but you still love them (especially when you see them hurting themselves with a bad habit, such as binge drinking).

I was also thinking maybe a scene was cut and we missed an argument? Before this scene, we saw that Awu tried to visit Zi Dan to check up on his wound. However, she was prevented from going in by the Crown Princess. The Yuzhang household steward told the general that Awu came back but was upset (because she wasn't allowed to go inside to see Zi Dan). Then the general went and found her by their house pond and the scene cuts. Maybe they had a slight argument about Zi Dan (as we know the general is slightly jealous of their previous relationship) and because of that, he thought she was drinking because she missed/was sad about Zi Dan?

I believe he knew that his wife drinks a lot when she is upset. He may be annoyed to think it was Zidan who had upset his wife but later when she woke up she told him she was drinking thinking of her parents' problem. True to her words, Zidan is no longer in her radar.

Furthermore, his wife is kind of "huggy" when she is drunk so he probably wants all that to himself. He was pretty pleased looking and stroking his wife hair before she woke up.

• Like 6

Ep 15

Was watching it with sub and i cant believe myself that i finished it without skip any scene.

Instead of skipping it i keep saying OMG! OMG! LOL :lol:

First time in my life, i watched drama and i dont mind that there wasnt OTP scene. LOL

I really enjoyed the plot and pace.

I admired AW too.

She's so smart, brave, fast learner and good negotiator.

I love strong FL like her.

Thanks to the writer for creating such character.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jacquelinetan said:

The new Emperor is a mama's boy. He is just listening to his mother. Emperor wants to reward Xiao Qi for his help in the two rebellion. Mother told him to give Xiao Qi a "Death Free Medal" the kind that can prevent you from being executed by the Emperor. 

Mother is hoping that Wang Xuan will ask Xiao Qi for the medal to save her father. Knowing Xiao Qi's character he will refuse hence causing a rift between husband and wife. Even Xiao Qi relents and do as his wife's request, his men will not approve hence will not be happy with Wang Xuan too.

The Empress Dowager is not aware of our couple's relationship. She probably basis on her own experience that marriage is all wheeling and dealing.

A little bit confuse..why want causing a rift between them? I know xiao qi has military power,but Wang Xuan? I just know that her father has power not her..

1 minute ago, Fenny Liong said:

A little bit confuse..why want causing a rift between them? I know xiao qi has military power,but Wang Xuan? I just know that her father has power not her..

People who do not have happy marriage just want to destroy another. Personal note. It is all about power. Wang Xuan is still a daughter of the Wang family hence Xiao Qi is the son in law of that family holding absolute military power. Empress Dowager does not want anyone especially a daughter from the Wang family to hold more power than she does.

I just loved how Wang Xuan told her that she had followed the Auntie Empress' advice and let go of a girly romance and settled in to a marital bliss with Xiao Qi. She even quoted a love poetry that Auntie Empress had embroidered into a hanky. "I know your secret too".

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, jacquelinetan said:

People who do not have happy marriage just want to destroy another. Personal note. It is all about power. Wang Xuan is still a daughter of the Wang family hence Xiao Qi is the son in law of that family holding absolute military power. Empress Dowager does not want anyone especially a daughter from the Wang family to hold more power than she does.

I just loved how Wang Xuan told her that she had followed the Auntie Empress' advice and let go of a girly romance and settled in to a marital bliss with Xiao Qi. She even quoted a love poetry that Auntie Empress had embroidered into a hanky. "I know your secret too".

Its ridiculous I think, in the past the empress dowager agree to married Wang Xuan and Xiao Qi,but know her want to separate them? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

It is sad that Wang Xuan was working really hard to settle her parents' misunderstanding/problem. It was going well in her mind when the family of 4 shared a day together and when she learned of the good news that she was pregnant, she wanted to share that good news on her birthday. Like a double celebration.

She gave some hint of the secret when she told Xiao Qi that her mother would like a grand daughter that looked like Wang Xuan while she would like a chubby baby that looked like Xiao Qi.

I believe he knew that his wife drinks a lot when she is upset. He may be annoyed to think it was Zidan who had upset his wife but later when she woke up she told him she was drinking thinking of her parents' problem. True to her words, Zidan is no longer in her radar.

Furthermore, his wife is kind of "huggy" when she is drunk so he probably wants all that to himself. He was pretty pleased looking and stroking his wife hair before she woke up.

Fate plays  cruel jokes on Awu.In the past she and zidan had won the promise of the emperor to be married.Her MIL the emperor's favorite concubine had blessed the supposed union.Yet all her happiness came to naught.Again fate makes a mockery of her efforts to get the heart's desire. The trials for the girl never ends.Forced marriage,kidnapping,being thrown of a bridge,held hostage,assassination attempts,miscarriage the list just goes on.Yet she survives and her her wits get razor sharp after each event.She is truly the wonder woman with stylish capes.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

59 minutes ago, Fenny Liong said:

The dowager empress knows that Awu is capable (e.g. she managed to defeat Jianing Wang and she played a big part in defeating the 2nd prince). Awu & XQ are this power couple and together they can basically achieve anything, incl. snatching the throne. So the dowager empress is trying to break them up to reduce the perceived thread for her son. 

She agreed to the union previously because she thought that XQ will obey the Wang clan and reinforce their military power. But she now knows that both XQ and Awu have a mind of their own and can't be controlled. 

Another reason why the dowager empress is against XQ is because he suggested to the emperor to investigate the former emperor's death. The emperor agreed but because the dowager empress had a hand in the murder, she is strongly against the investigation. XQ also gained the emperor's trust, which made the dowager empress wary, as this will increase XQ's influence over her son (and reduces her own influence over him). 

2 hours ago, gingerchews said:

I share your views. I also thought it was out of character. The way it was edited. It could be your second scenario whereby he thought that she was thinking about Zidan again (like the first time she got drunk) and was sad that she wasnt allowed to see Zidan earlier in the day. He also had a tough day in court with all the politicking. So probably all these factors together made him a bit agitated. 

3 hours ago, hallee said:

@Polly OhEmGee! So there is one more monster out there to hurt Awu! Thanks so much for constantly giving updates and spoilers...it truly helps a lot in watching those advance raw episodes! :hooray2:

No problem at all. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'm revealing too much, and spoiling your fun. Just post any questions and I'll try to answer if I know. 

Edited by Polly
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

16 minutes ago, Fenny Liong said:

Its ridiculous I think, in the past the empress dowager agree to married Wang Xuan and Xiao Qi,but know her want to separate them? 

Empress then was doing her brother's bidding in persuading Wang Xuan to marry Xiao Qi. It was her own folly trying to get her son under Wang Xuan's skirt and 2nd prince ruined their plans by sending Miss Xie in instead. Wang Lin had no choice but to offer his daughter to the next best candidate, the one who hold military power after being made a "wang". Xiao Qi is a self made man.

Now, that her son is the reigning Monarch she is not happy of someone holding more power than her (her son). Watch how the two siblings talk not like family but enemies. Wang Lin called his own nephew an imbecile not fit to rule while dearest sister told him that he is a man with no family ties.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1