[Drama 2021] No One But a Madman/On The Verge Of Insanity, 미치지 않고서야

larus

Watch: Moon So Ri Stops An Office Fight Between Lee Sang Yeob And Jung Jae Young In New MBC Drama

Watch: Moon So Ri Stops An Office Fight Between Lee Sang Yeob And Jung Jae Young In New MBC Drama

Jun 17, 2021
by C. Hong

MBC’s upcoming office drama “On the Verge of Insanity” has released its third teaser!

“On the Verge of Insanity” stars Jung Jae Young, Moon So Ri, Lee Sang Yeob, and Kim Ga Eun as office workers locked in a fierce competition to survive and hold on to their jobs as their company is swept up in a round of layoffs.

Jung Jae Young plays Choi Ban Suk, who has worked as a hardware engineer for Hanmyung Electronics for over 20 years. He just wants to hold on to his job until he reaches retirement age, but he suddenly finds himself transferred to the human resources department.

When he hears about his transfer, he shouts, “I’ve worked as a developer for over 20 years. But you’re sending me where?” Unfortunately for him, the team leader of human resources is the strict workaholic Dang Ja Young (Moon So Ri). She is completely unimpressed by his terrible reports and he complains, “Isn’t this workplace bullying?” She also wants him to be the “big brother” to the junior employees, acting warm and friendly and approachable for after-work drinks, but he retorts, “Even my real brother doesn’t act like that.”

Lee Sang Yeob plays Han Se Kwon, the team leader of Development Team No. 1, who is all bluster on the outside and deeply insecure on the inside. In the teaser, he finds his way to work blocked by Choi Ban Suk. Angrily, he says, “I’ll completely destroy all the crazy things you’ve done,” but Choi Ban Suk isn’t swayed. In fact, he’s just as ready to fight as the younger man, and the office soon turns into a scene of chaos. Dang Ja Young shouts, “Are you really going to work like this?” and stops the two from fighting.

The teaser ends with Dang Ja Young asking him, “Can you really work in human resources with that personality?” and Choi Ban Suk responds, “If the company says so, I have to.” The drama asks whether Dang Ja Young, who has her eyes on promotion and has received a secret mission from the parent company, and Choi Ban Suk, who doesn’t know the slightest thing about working in HR, will be able to make a good team and bring a breath of fresh air to Hanmyung Electronics.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1475252wpp/watch-moon-so-ri-stops-an-office-fight-between-lee-sang-yeob-and-jung-jae-young-in-new-mbc-drama

• Like 2

'No One But A Madman' Jung Jae-young → Park Seong-geun, 'God' foreshadowing great synergy

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/photo/202106/107658_80447_2313.jpg

In the published photo, the 'Four Boys', Choi Ban-seok (Jung Jae-young), Noh Byeong-guk (Ahn Nae-sang), Peng Su-gon (Park Won-sang), and Gong-gong-pil (Park Seong-geun), who were in the public photos, aroused interest. do. The four people who were once an ace, but are now treated as ‘dead people (?)’ in the savage years. It is sometimes difficult to keep up with the latest trends, but they are dignified people who solve problems with their age. The coffee time in the middle of the day, when talking flowers blooming with colleagues who spent their dazzlingly hot youth with them, draws attention. The contrast between Paeng Su-gon and Gong Gong-pil, who pours out complaints in a state of being one with the chair, also causes laughter. The 'sweet' daily life of those who laugh and cry together even in trivial stories raises expectations for an office life that anyone can sympathize with.

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=107658

E4H_CDHVIAUxCyf?format=jpg&name=small

E4H_CDXUcAUkibU?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] No One But a Madman/On The Verge Of Insanity, 미치지 않고서야- Moon So Ri & Jung Jae-young- Wed &Thur @ 21:00 KST

Oh Lordy!! This one is giving me chilling flashbacks of my time in employment!! The lay offs, the horrible management.... Just everything about working in a company.

:crazily:

Why do I think that Robot Team Leader deliberately sabotaged the robot to kick the Male Lead out??!! I loved the reveal about the relationship between Dang-ssi and the Robot Team Leader tho. Their office is gonna be a warzone!! I'm gonna enjoy this drama!

I hope MBC has a hit with this one. I can see why Moon SoRi would take this project and I love the older cast (with no idols in it!!:P).

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

“On The Verge Of Insanity” Tops Wednesday Drama Ratings With Premiere Episode

53a516281c424a1484eca8c8e94e339f.jpeg?s=

Jun 24, 2021
by D. Kim

On the Verge of Insanity” has joined the Wednesday-Thursday ratings race!

The relatable MBC comedy drama is about office workers struggling to survive in the vicious jungle that is the corporate world. Jung Jae Young, Moon So Ri, Lee Sang Yeob, and Kim Ga Eun star as employees at the competitive Hanmyung Electronics. When the company undergoes drastic changes due to restructuring, they must fight to keep their jobs.

According to Nielsen Korea, the first episode scored average nationwide ratings of 3.0 and 3.9 percent, which was the highest of Wednesday night dramas on June 23. This is also the highest of any MBC miniseries this year.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476278wpp/on-the-verge-of-insanity-tops-wednesday-drama-ratings-with-premiere-episode

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Premiere Watch: On the Verge of Insanity

by missvictrix

http://www.slist.kr/news/photo/202103/235467_395797_1646.jpg

NISI20210623_0000772925_web.jpg?rnd=2021

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: MBC
Genre: Workplace
Episode count: 16

This title and cast immediately made me think my next dose of melo had arrived — but no! On the Verge of Insanity is actually a workplace drama that sounds more slice-of-life than anything else. Jung Jae-young, Moon Sori, and Lee Sang-yub (yay!) play employees at an electronics corporation who undergo many changes in work and life, all with a side helping of midlife complexity. For me, workplace dramas can either be really good and cathartic, or they can be a little too real and lose their appeal. We’ll have to see how this one shakes out.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/06/premiere-watch-on-the-verge-of-insanity/

Pictures from the press conference

NISI20210623_0000772926_web.jpg?rnd=2021

NISI20210623_0000772927_web.jpg?rnd=2021

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I only watch the first episode and I like it. It looks promising. Let`s see the second episode to see how things are going to developed.

19 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Why do I think that Robot Team Leader deliberately sabotaged the robot to kick the Male Lead out??!! I loved the reveal about the relationship between Dang-ssi and the Robot Team Leader tho. Their office is gonna be a warzone!! I'm gonna enjoy this drama!

I also think that Choi Ban-Seok was sabotaged but even if he wasn`t it was not nice that the team leader did not wanted to give him the oportunity to explain what happened. Han Se-Kwon wanted him out because he felt threatened. He is insecure now that Bak Seok came up with a solution so quickly. He has so much experience and talent but they won`t want to let him show what he can do. It is a pity.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Ratings

MBC’s new drama “On the Verge of Insanity,” which achieved the highest ratings of any MBC miniseries this year with its premiere the night before, saw its viewership dip slightly for its second episode due to airing at the same time as the popular “Hospital Playlist 2.” The latest broadcast of “On the Verge of Insanity” scored average nationwide ratings of 2.7 percent and 3.3 percent for its two parts.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476455wpp/hospital-playlist-2-and-my-roommate-is-a-gumiho-ratings-rise

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Just watched EP 1 and I have become a big, big , big fan of Jung Jae-young. What an amazing actor is he! I was completely invested in his story and it felt so real. Never for a minute did it seem to me that I was watching a drama and the actors are putting up an act. He was so natural. I felt indignation when the Team Leader, Choi Ban-seok sabotaged his idea and belittled and humiliated him. What a petty man!  But this is the real cut-throat world of competition. You can't stand another person over-shadowing you. You feel threatened. So you resort to ego trips and get them kicked out.

What I liked most about Choi Ban-seok is how down to earth and unassuming he is. He is hardworking and a genius but without an iota of pride or arrogance. Unlike the Team Leader, Han Se-kwon who is so full of himself. I hope Dang Ja-young brings him down a peg or two. I am fighting for  Choi Ban-seok character. He will succeed because he he is much more accommodating and ready to learn compared to Han Se-kwon.

Second episode done. He is such a cool badass. I can't stop fangirling over him. He is so cool. The way he got his revenge. So calm , cool and composed. Totally liking his cool, calm, composed badass side. Can't wait to watch the rest of the drama.  Rooting for the underdog, Choi Ban-seok. You rock, ahjussi! :cheers:You are my new hero! Can't stop hero worshiping you. I hope to take a leaf out of your book.

Spoiler

They live in the same building? I hope Dang Ja-young sees his true colours and learns to appreciate and admire him. He deserves all the respect.

• Like 4

I loved when CBS played dirty with the fake vacuum cleaner and how he berated HSK inability to recognise his own product.

I'm surprised that I find JJY quite good looking - the longer hair perhaps? And despite the 10 year age gap, I don't find MSR and LSY as a (former) couple strange at all! Loving the leads so far.

Will this turn into a romance? Coz I'm not so sure about the status of CBS's wife.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

클랑(KLANG) - 흔적 (trace) (미치지 않고서야 OST) On The Verge Of Insanity OST Part 1

2 hours ago, dzareth said:

Will this turn into a romance? Coz I'm not so sure about the status of CBS's wife.

No, I am sure it will not turn into romance.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I know, I know..... I'm being ambitious and delusional for hoping for romance in this workplace drama...... My head says there won't be, but my heart doesn't want the opportunity presented with these fine actors to go to waste!!

I once heard the opposite of LOVE is not HATE, it is INDIFFERENCE. 

You are truly over your ex when you no longer hate them, when you're finally indifferent.....

spacer.png

Going into this drama I didn't expect anything remotely romantic, but as long as Dang Ja Young hates her ex, I  can hope??!! Can't I??lol

:crymeme:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

On 6/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, africandramalover said:

I know, I know..... I'm being ambitious and delusional for hoping for romance in this workplace drama...... My head says there won't be, but my heart doesn't want the opportunity presented with these fine actors to go to waste!!

Possible not a romance but it is possible to have a low key romance in the background. I watched episode 2 and I saw that they are living in the same building (the kdrama trop that make the romance happend). I think he is a single father (probably his wife died) and she is divorced. It is possible. But even if there will be only a profesional relationship, I believe they will get close as they will start to understand each other more and empathize. I think they will became good partners.

I can`t wait to watch the next episode. This is my favorite drama right now, close with Hospital Playlist.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/06/688_311184.html
Jung Jae-young returns to small screen with 'On the Verge of Insanity'

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2021-06-27

9F8F1974-E6E3-4A85-98D6-FE47B7D1D06C.jpg
Actors Jung Jae-young, from left, Moon So-ri, Kim Ga-eun and Lee Sang-yeob pose for pictures during a press conference for the series, Wednesday. Courtesy of MBC

Actor Jung Jae-young has returned to the small screen after two years for MBC's comedy-drama "On the Verge of Insanity," which kicked off with the network's highest miniseries premiere rating so far this year, Wednesday.

Its first episode scored a 3.9 percent viewership rating, topping the ratings among shows aired in the same time slot ― "Monthly Magazine Home" and "My Roommate is a Gumiho."

Directed by Choi Jung-in and written by Jung Do-yoon, known for writing the legal series "Witch at Court," the series follows the roller-coaster ride of office life of middle-aged employees struggling to survive the company's downsizing. 

Jung plays veteran engineer Choi Ban-seok at an electronics company, who has a record of making several hit products in his career. But he finds himself on the verge of getting fired when the company plans downsize to save its troubled business. 

Jung expressed that he chose this series because he empathized with the character and saw resemblances in his own life. 

"(The story) seemed so realistic. Even though I've never worked at an office, I could grasp their joys and sorrows. Its portrayal of the office worker strikes a chord with people of my age," he said last week during a press conference for the series. 

"The character, who struggles to stay afloat after getting pushed out of the mainstream, felt like me. I, too, think about how I can stay in the business as an actor. Even though Choi Ban-seok is not an incompetent worker, he falls behind under the changing circumstances as time passes."

01A09DB1-33A1-4241-8814-DCD545770D04.jpg
A poster for the series "On the Verge of Insanity" / Courtesy of MBC

The first episode showed the company going under a major reorganization, leading Ban-seok to transfer to a different branch. He is put in a product development team managed by the opportunist Han Se-kwon (Lee Sang-yeob) who is much younger than him.

An incident, under Se-kwon's devious plan, gets Ban-seok transferred to a completely different position in the HR department, where he meets the workaholic, ambitious HR head Dang Ja-young (Moon So-ri).

Director Choi explained this series will be different from previous shows that revolved around office life. 

"Previous office-related series followed stories about newcomers settling into the job that they started recently, but our series is about employees who have had the job for a long time and are trying to hold onto it," she said. 

Adding that the story will not be all about depressing stories of those on the verge of losing their jobs, the director added: "The key point of this drama is that it also has subplots ― different episodes ― that a lot of viewers can sympathize with."

Actress Moon, who plays Ja-young, a woman with a big goal to become the first female executive of the company, said she interviewed actual people working in HR to prepare for her character. 

"HR hires employees, trains and educates them, handles resignations and even lays people off. Their job revolves around getting themselves involved in other employees' lives. So I learned how tough their life is and came to appreciate that I became an actor," she said, adding that she developed sympathy for the character. 

Noting that she hopes to share this story with the viewers, she said: "The series might not be a big dramatic blockbuster, but it will give you a good tear-jerking story with a good laugh."

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Last night's episode had me laughing at this scene.... Dang Ja Young, at the moment when she made the mistake of her life, the day she ignored all the red flags and saved Se Gwon from himself!!:D

it started with the frustrated sigh as she looked through the clique report. She's transported back to the day her life changed.....

I mean, the red flag is there, in red ink!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

But noooooo.... she knows better!!

is it the nerdy look that won her over? The glasses? The hair? The soft voice? :D

spacer.png

Spoiler

She doubles down on her experience in dealing with people to reinforce her beliefs despite the red flags... Se Gwon thinks people have a problem with him because he descends from Han Royalty!!:flushed:

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point, I'm laughing my head off because it can't end well!! She offers a hand, the kind HR person that she is... is she hoping that this is what will redeem him in the eyes of the company and prove to herself that she was right, that they were wrong about him?

spacer.png

I'm laughing crying at this point:joy:

spacer.png

Girl, Run!!

spacer.png

The time to leave this discussion was six images ago!!

spacer.png

What did we say about unpaid labour??!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ok, girl is gone!! Beyond help!!:bawling:

spacer.png

There's always a logically framed justification for saving a man!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm laughing because I see so many examples of this in most of us!! Life!!

So now, this is her life... pfffttt!!:joy:

spacer.png

I experienced the same, but in reverse. I was on holiday with a friend and as I rattled on about my plan for the day, thinking that my amazing organisation skills would ensure we have a grand time, I noticed that she was absolutely furious with me (to the point of stomping her feet) and told me I was smothering her. We went out and toured the city, but her reaction affected me so much I am unable to offer people help anymore.

• Like 2

I laughed so hard when Choi Ban-Seok was writing his report. Fist one page, then two pages , three pages... I could feel his frustration that he has to write about Han Se-Kwon. I love Choi Ban-Seok. He is so direct. He was right to question Dang Ja-Young about "the subject". :D

And Han Se-Kwon thinks he is a descendant from Han royal family. :w00t:

I am so looking forward to watch the next episode.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, africandramalover said:

is it the nerdy look that won her over? The glasses? The hair? The soft voice? 

I don`t know. Perhaps we`ll find out. :w00t: So far I don`t see it.

I like that I feel there is something more about Han Se-Kwon. I hope I am right. I want to know more about him but I was totally on Choi Ban-Seok`s side. When Ja Young told him to write a report about him I asked "WHY" on his behalf?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Last night's episode had me laughing at this scene.... Dang Ja Young, at the moment when she made the mistake of her life, the day she ignored all the red flags and saved Se Gwon from himself!!:D

it started with the frustrated sigh as she looked through the clique report. She's transported back to the day her life changed.....

I mean, the red flag is there, in red ink!!

But noooooo.... she knows better!!

is it the nerdy look that won her over? The glasses? The hair? The soft voice? :D

I experienced the same, but in reverse. I was on holiday with a friend and as I rattled on about my plan for the day, thinking that my amazing organisation skills would ensure we have a grand time, I noticed that she was absolutely furious with me (to the point of stomping her feet) and told me I was smothering her. We went out and toured the city, but her reaction affected me so much I am unable to offer people help anymore.

I've understood the scene a little different. Se Gwon had adjustment issues and he wanted to quit. The president , his cousin, did not give any instructions on the matter, but the higher ups did not want him to quit due to adjustment issues, so she had to do something in order to make him stay. This is why she was so supportive, and not because she liked him. She did not offer a hand because of her kindness, but because of the higher ups. She was just doing her job (although I am not sure if this is the HR's role...), in the same manner she does it now.

• Like 4