[Drama 2021] No One But a Madman/On The Verge Of Insanity, 미치지 않고서야

larus

Don't know what to make of Ms. Dang tbvh. I find myself cheering her on but also side-eyeing her on other times. She's a conflicting person; an antagonist I guess. 

She's really between a rock & a hard place, she has her own selfish reasons but on the other she's a puppet from the higher ups to do their bidding.. 

The friend is hilarious! "Don't kiss him as a thank you!" - the actress was a hoot on "Mr. Queen" too. 

The world need more of Ban Seok LoL. He's got the best lines & he tells it like it is, no BS. Love him! 

Han Se Gwon sighs. He just keep digging himself into an even bigger, deeper hole LoL geez. He's a mess~

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

She's really between a rock & a hard place, she has her own selfish reasons but on the other she's a puppet from the higher ups to do their bidding.. 

I can`t wait to see what she will do further. She is being used but because of her own ambitious she is accepting to do their "dirty works". We saw that she has a conscience but let see how much she will do to archieve her own goals.  So far she had to deal with people who was not close to her. Now she knows Ban-Seok now more than before. She will cover up an injustice just to save herself or her interests? I still think that meeting Ban Seok was a good thing for her. That will keep Ja Young grounded. She will have a stuggle with herself in the upcoming episodes but eventually she will do the right thing. That`s what I believe but we`ll see.

3 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Han Se Gwon sighs. He just keep digging himself into an even bigger, deeper hole LoL geez. He's a mess~

Right word. A mess. How this man became team manager? Indecisive, incompetent, obsequious, liar....to say just a few things about him. 

Ban seok... If this company/the higher ups will not realise what a gem he is too bad for them. I laughed when he start to give advice or point what is wrong in the new team and later said to his friend (the team manager) that he has something for him too. :lol:

• Like 3

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

by DB Staff

stroopwafel

On the Verge of Insanity: I nearly dropped this show in the early part of its run; the show felt too true-to-life, but in a way that was dreary and not exactly fun to watch. I’m glad I stuck with it though because the drama’s really found its groove. It’s kept all the elements that made the Hanmyeong Electronics feel like any big company you could find in Korea, yet there’s more levity to go along with the rising stakes. I so love Moon Sori in this, especially after her drunken escapades last week and her growing dilemma over what to do about Jung Jae-young.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/07/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-269/

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Hm can't blame Ms. Dang she's also in a catch 22 situation. She can stand to lose not just her job but reputation so she's at the mercy of the higher ups. 

How is Se Gwon able to sleep at night huh LoL? Obviously not well, judging by his bloodshot eyes eheh. Sang Yeob the actor had mentioned on "The Sixth Sense", that filming staff notice he appears more hunched over than before ha-ha. 

Why is Na Ri still clinging onto Se Gwon? Is he that great in bed LoL? Not surprised how they promoted Mr. Gong. It's how most politicians get away with murder. Also how the rich keep getting richer & sadly the poor get poorer.. 

Looks like Se Gwon might get reprimanded in next ep. preview. Heck why isn't he blacklisted?! Bless Ban Seok. Hope he gets to save the faulty dishwashers. Thank goodness I don't use one, I rather wash it myself LoL. 

Hanmyeong as a company is a huge mess tsk. Go Go Ban Seok. You got this! WooHoo~

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Aish they're really adamant on gettin' rid of Ban Seok aren't they? Bein' a whistleblower or tellin' the truth doesn't pay tsk. And to think religion preaches on bein' honest. 

And it look like Ms. Dang is comin' to his rescue. His friendship with Mr. Shin is a hoot. Didn't know he's related to Ms. Dang's roommate, btw she joins HR from accounting. 

• Like 4

I like how the writer wrote Ja young`s role. I am glad that we saw how things  went before Ja Young made that decision to tell the CEO. So, she saw how Mr. No used her and than he never proposed her for a promotion. I know she told the CEO about the crisis to protect her own interest but she did the right thing. Ban seok`s invention was good but he needs more time to make it functional. 

For Se Gwon i have no words... I can`t believe he was saved just because he got on his knees to beg for mercy and a relative intervened for him. He should be demoted at least. My only satisfaction was that he heard loud and clear how his subordinates think of him. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

My heart was thumping while the demonstration. I was about to heart attack when the Chairman almost threw a fit. Gosh! That guys playing the role of the President is super scary. He has a perfect poker face and you can't figure out what is going on in his mind. Thank God, the sensor worked, and right on time. 

Han Se-kwon, ah how the mighty fell! It was a long time coming. It was annoying to see how he continued to deny / be oblivious to the grave, unethical 'sin' he had committed and continued to pass the buck and blame the others for his own lack of integrity. I am glad the Chairman gave him a piece of his mind so he knows his place. He had been taking undue advantage of his 'distant' relations. It is sad what he had to undergo due to his father but that doesn't explain his own lack of moral and ethical principles. He got off very lightly, I'd say.  He should have been fired. He is fortunate to have a woman who stands up for him. Trusts him and stands by him even when he is going through one of his worst phases of his professional life.  I hope he learns his lesson and turns over a new leaf.

Dang Ja-young, I wish she was not coerced into doing the right thing. But of course it is easier said than done. She was between a rock and a hard place. Had she not been betrayed, she might have been an accomplice. She still has to do a lot of 'dirty' work on behalf of the management. I feel terrible for  Choi Ban-seok. They want his invention but they don't want him, his expertise. It is their loss, I'd say. They don't know what they are discarding. Choi Ban-seok deserves a lot more than what he is getting at Hanmyung. I hope he gets a better job and forges his won way so that people at Hanmyung  realize what they had let go off. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Ban Seok could take his invention with him as he did not work on it at the office but in his home, so the invention is not a company property. He should get a patent for it, so the company cannot claim it.

Maybe he could start a repair shop and use his invention to repair the one million defective dishwashers that dirt bag, pretentious Se Kwon loves to flaunt.

• Like 3

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3142312/k-drama-midseason-recap-verge-insanity-character-driven
K-drama midseason recap: On the Verge of Insanity – character-driven workplace story blossoms into thrilling drama

• Grounded in reality and all the better for it, this series finds drama at every turn in the goings-on at rural engineering office of a home appliances maker
  • There’s a villain, of course, and a resourceful woman with divided loyalties, both ably backed by a supporting cast that make the show thoroughly relatable

By Pierce Conran | 23 Jul, 2021

497CFB56-9383-4061-869F-D38CDAAF4065.web
Lee Sang-yeob (left) and Moon So-ri in a still from On the Verge of Insanity.

This article contains spoilers.

Vigilantes and young lovers are the drivers behind many hit Korean shows, but while their tales of injustice and aching romance, big budgets and major stars hog the limelight, some of 2021’s best series so far have eschewed fantasy for reality, and have been all the better for it.

Much like the thoroughly satisfying Navillera earlier this year, On the Verge of Insanity, a workplace drama airing on MBC, confronts life’s hardships in a relatable way. The villains and corrupt corporations are still there, but rather than being purely evil, the character of the human and corporate actors here is shaped by circumstance and personal traits.

The chief villain is team leader Han Se-kwon (Lee Sang-yeob), a well-to-do and talented engineer whose arrogance, prejudice and endlessly self-serving ways have made him a thorn in everyone’s side. He is a slimy and manipulative character whose treacherous schemes stem from a highly competitive personality, which we discover is fuelled by a deep-seated inferiority complex.

He constantly refers to his hit, million-unit selling dishwashers and uses his education at a prestigious university to place himself above others and, more importantly, to stop great engineers upstaging him.

When his plans go south, as they generally do, he finds himself in situations that spiral out of control and his actions become even more despicable. Yet, rather than being all malice, he’s just doing what he thinks he has to do to save his own skin. This makes his awful behaviour far more effective not just because we recognise it in people around us, but perhaps because we might not be so different.

Se-kwon also refers to his loose family connection to Han Seung-ki (Jo Bok-rae), the chairman of the company, at every opportunity, but at the very moment when he is about to lose everything and tries to use that trump card, it backfires terribly and exposes a shameful secret about his family – one which goes a long way towards explaining his low self-esteem and his dangerous drive to succeed at others’ expense.

While viewers may be loath to admit they have anything in common with Se-kwon, a character many will identify with is human resources manager Dang Ja-young. Played with gumption by Moon So-ri, Ja-young is a strong and resourceful protagonist who finds herself in impossible situations that constantly challenge her ethics.

5C21A84E-9286-4781-9F04-C3FA5BE24954.jpg
Jo Bok-rae in a still from On the Verge of Insanity.

She appreciates people’s hard work and their value, and is able to sympathise with them on an individual level, even going so far as to engineer an interdepartmental transfer for Choi Ban-seok (Jung Jae-young) to avoid following a directive to fire him.

She is also a great company player, effortlessly strategising for the good of the corporation as she considers the big picture.

But Ja-young’s work as an HR manager conflicts with her loyalty to HQ. She cares about the people she’s developed a relationship with and the company she’s given her life to, but her work has a material impact on the livelihood of all the workers in the Changing Campus of Hanmyeong Electronics.

It’s to Moon’s enormous credit that her portrayal of Ja-young can elicit both sympathy and revulsion from the audience, and though she is a likeable character overall, we’re never entirely sure who she will side with – the people or the company – as she weighs up a laundry list of issues.

Jung is no less endearing as Ban-seok, the capable everyman who moves calmly around the campus in his plaid shirts solving everyone’s technical headaches. He’s so capable that it only takes him a few weeks to master the ins and outs of being an HR manager and, after learning how to program on the side for a short while, the middle-aged engineer develops software that saves the company in the nick of time.

Spoiler

A6F8C11F-4040-4690-A01C-F81E3689321B.jpg

Kim Nam-hee in a still from On the Verge of Insanity.

There’s no murder in the halls of Hanmyeong, just the occasional career suicide, and fixing malfunctioning home appliances in a rural engineering office hardly sounds like the stuff of high drama, yet On the Verge of Insanity delivers breathlessly tense set pieces with nothing but a few people in suits staring down a common home appliance set on a stage.

One of the reasons it is so relatable is its uniformly strong cast; there are great supporting turns from Jo Bok-rae as the steely-eyed young company chairman, the prolific Ahn Nae-sang as a flustered team leader, and Kim Nam-hee as a brilliant engineer who hates wasting his time.

Spoiler

1B46CF20-27B9-4A64-ADE5-1E55478C4D18.jpg

Jung Jae-young (left) and Moon So-ri in a still from On the Verge of Insanity.

If the show has any real fault, it’s the expedient way it navigates every narrative obstacle. A department flare-up occurs, always involving Se-kwon somehow or other, threatens to involve HQ, and either Ja-young and Ban-seok comes up with a solution. But no sooner than is one problem resolved than another rears its head, usually related to how the previous one was solved.

On the Verge of Insanity is streaming on Viu.

• Like 5

On The Verge Of Insanity OST Part 5

Ha Jin Woo -A day when I just want walk

Spoiler

On the Verge of Insanity OST Part.4

Seo Sung Hyuk - I dream of you

On the Verge of Insanity OST Part.3

The Lime- Vacuity

On the Verge of Insanity OST Part.2

PL- Find Me

On the Verge of Insanity OST Part.1

KLANG- Trace