[Drama 2021] Like a Butterfly/ Navillera, 나빌레라

larus

Seong San was right. Haraboji will always be the pillar in their lives. Though he is terrified himself, it was really beautiful how he danced for CR to provide him a source of strength (just as CR did for him). He is such an inspiration. I will remember him too.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

@nrllee I watched E10 with tears the whole time.  I can't remember when was the last time a Kdrama made me feel this way.  IMHO, the best episode yet.  The acting, sparse dialogue, not a lot said out loud but oh man, the eyes the emotions were all in their faces.

Gonna make some screencaps for @taeunfightingthis episode has some exquisite scenes visually.  PD, you are doing a great job capturing the feelings on screen.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I want to add a couple of points before I forgot LOL

Lots of happening in episode 9+10

• We get to see how much love and respect his family has for DS by the way they handle the news about his Alzheimer's.  CR respects and wants to protect DS love for ballet so he is willing to carry the burden of the secrets until he could no more.  Seong-Gwan identifies with DS's courage to reach for his dream late in life (he himself in the midst of finding his own purpose and happiness) while giving his father the respect to live and act out the remaining time on his own terms.  Hae-Nam gives her hsb the privacy and respect of how to manage his disease, wisely and quietly took on a supportive role with grace.
  • @taeunfightingI teared up when I found out that she bought all the mackerels to help improve his memories.   She did what she does best, she cooks for the people she love.  In contrast to her straightforward personality, she kept her real emotions close to her heart at times while willing herself to be strong for the family.  It must not have been an easy life with haraboji but she managed to find joy and comfort in her lot in life.  I love her honesty, her strength and humor cuz I can see many  mothers including my own in her.   This drama made me appreciate the family get togethers and the meals that I go to almost every weekend.
  • Seong-Gwan has been somewhat estranged from the family, he's a bit loss in himself, trying to find his purpose like Eun Ho.  The drama paired them up in many scenes, him being non judgmental to Eun Ho's plight and careless about others made them kindred spirits .  DS' illness redefined family for Seong-Gwan, especially made him awared of how frail his father is as well as the irreplaceable time he has lost over the years.  I think it hit him hard when he received the new fur-lined clogs from DS.  Seeing DS cheered him on without being judgmental, Seong-Gwan was able to share his reason for walking away from surgery with his father.  Besides CR, I don't think anyone has comment or even notices his old clogs.  It was the first time that Seong-Gwan remembers the warmth of his father's love.   Seong-Gwan, being a physician, compounded his guilt for he feels helpless not being able to "cure" Deok Chook.  I hope he will rediscover the reason for surgery, even if he is not successful 100% of the time.  At least, he gives them a chance to spend more time with their families.
  • I LOVE how DS's endurance outlasted his own son!  Respect!
  • DS' little nudge to CR to reconnect with his father worked.  For all its worth, Mu Yeon's distance may have been his fear of upsetting CR's life.  He's guilty of his past abuse but I think he doesn't know if he is welcomed into the boy's life as a father or more importantly, if he can bring any value by reestablishing the relationship.  Allow CR the chance to mend the bridges first is a big sign of change for Mu Yeon who always have been the controlling and authoritative figure.   That and the new respect and interest MY showed toward CR's ballet talent.  The drama does a good job at showing the slow progress in their relationship, as it is not an easy change overnight.
  • Episode 9 was about father and son bridging the gap of loss time.  CR and MY, SG and DS.   Men have their way of communicating love; silently and often through actions more than words.  This drama does a good job of showing how they can openly communicate this love as well.

I'll come back with more when I have time.^^

• Like 2
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, bedifferent said:
  • Men have their way of communicating love; silently and often through actions more than words.  This drama does a good job of showing how they can openly communicate this love as well.

I really love how the writer does this.  I think a lot of other writers who are female tend to “feminize” the relationships between men.  It works in the Western society where men hug and shed tears and verbalize their feelings.  But it really doesn’t sit quite right in the Asian context?  Where more often than not, “I love you” is never uttered.  It is demonstrated in deeds, in roundabout conversations, in friendly banter.  Like how CR and his best friend relate.  Like how Haraboji and SG relate.  Like how CR and SG relate.  And of course how CR and Haraboji relate.  CR’s little acts behind the scenes exhibit concern without words.  How he installs the tracking app on Haraboji’s phone without asking him.  How he insists on coming over for dinner so he can walk Haraboji home.  It maintains Haraboji’s dignity.  Until of course the end scene in Ep9 when his pretense can no longer be sustained and Haraboji has a melt down in the toilet stall.  

I am also relieved that the writer has chosen not to spend too much time on romance between EunHo and CR.  The beginnings are there but it’s not explored too deeply.  She did the same in Tunnel.  And it was all the better for it.  She stays true to the message she wants to deliver and all these relationships don’t distract.  They sustain it.  

Won’t have time to sit and watch Ep10 till later.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Noticed a similarity between ChaeRok and haraboji.

Haraboji thanks ChaeRok for his orange nameplate on the locker, CR lies it isn't him.

Haraboji asks ChaeRok if he talked to his dad already, he lied saying no.

Haraboji also of course white lied to him too to hide his condition.

Another thing about episode 9. When haraboji sent the message and song to his granddaughter EunHi via the radio station, I love how at home he was swaying along to the song.  Too bad his son interrupted him to go to the studio.  I love that scene, I hoped that haraboji was able to continue listening and swaying along.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

I really love how the writer does this.  I think a lot of other writers who are female tend to “feminize” the relationships between men.  It works in the Western society where men hug and shed tears and verbalize their feelings.  But it really doesn’t sit quite right in the Asian context?  Where more often than not, “I love you” is never uttered.  It is demonstrated in deeds, in roundabout conversations, in friendly banter.  Like how CR and his best friend relate.  Like how Haraboji and SG relate.  Like how CR and SG relate.  And of course how CR and Haraboji relate.  CR’s little acts behind the scenes exhibit concern without words.  How he installs the tracking app on Haraboji’s phone without asking him.  How he insists on coming over for dinner so he can walk Haraboji home.  It maintains Haraboji’s dignity.  Until of course the end scene in Ep9 when his pretense can no longer be sustained and Haraboji has a melt down in the toilet stall.  

I am also relieved that the writer has chosen not to spend too much time on romance between EunHo and CR.  The beginnings are there but it’s not explored too deeply.  She did the same in Tunnel.  And it was all the better for it.  She stays true to the message she wants to deliver and all these relationships don’t distract.  They sustain it.  

I know you have not watched E10.  Do look forward to the scene between halmoni and CR at the table.  What the writer and PD do well in this series is the execution of the storyline.  A simple scene which Hae-Nam thanked Chae Rok for taking care of Deok Chul.  Many scenes later, it took on a more profound meaning on how we see Hae-Nam as a person.  I won't spoil the surprise for you by revealing more.

I want to say a few words about EunHo, her storyline is one many of us young people can relate to.  Finding what you are good at, what you like,  your purpose and dreams, what career to take after you finish college... all this seems to be a personal quest that no one can help.  It fills you with fear of disappointment.  You doubt your self worth, uncertainty erode your confidence, and you have no idea if you will ever find the answer.  When Eun Ho told her mom that she likes meeting new people at the radio station, that it is fun, I thought it is the kind of things I would say too.  It is a good beginning, she finally found what she likes.  Meeting Chae Rok at a time when she was learning to be an adult, learning to navigate work, was important for Eun Ho to not become jaded about people and dreams.  Navillera made a strong case for taking time to know yourself.  You do you, do what is authentic to you. That's first thing you need to do to find your place in this big wide world.

This drama cheer on people like haraboji to make the most of his precious time but it also sets out to remind young people like Eun Ho on how time is in fact, their most underrated treasure. That's the beauty of being young, you can take your time to find your way.  Deok Chul said it best to CR, HB, EH.  Be patient, persevere, embrace failures, don't lose hope.  They can do all this because time is on their side.  I think this is why Eun Ho's story seems to lack direction at this point.  She needs time to find the beats of her heart.

19 hours ago, nrllee said:

The writer is really very good at portraying relationships.  They are all authentic and real.  Nothing is overdone.  It’s not cheesy?  Like how she portrayed the strained relationship between CR and his dad.  There were no dramatic scenes, it was awkward but it was how you would expect it to be. 

...  She does this brilliantly in all the conversations.  

There's a scene in E10 at the tteokbokki stand between Hae-Nam and Seong-Gwan that was brilliantly acted and written.  It gutted me.  Only a few sentences were spoken.  Seong-Gwan's face - the slow realization about their secrets, shows how much he feels for his mother.  He was overwhelmed by her strength and grace.  It was the first time, he understood his parents' love for their children.  What moved me was this mix of relief along with sorrow in the scene.

I also like the conversations between Ho Beum and Mu Yeong.  Within a short flashback, the dialogues revealed their history and resolved Ho Beum's anger.  We get to see the reason behind Ho Beum's anger at the futbol team's disbandment.  It was more than his own future; he had hoped to support his mom with his career, gambled his father's insurance on his future success even after he sustained injury.  Mu Yeong's assessment as a coach mirrored Seung-Joo on Chae Rok's ankle injury on the life of an athlete.  In fact, he was trying to help HB indirectly by having him ride on the team's coattail success.  Fast forward years later, Mu Yeong's apologies, while too late, helped Ho Beum get over his missed opportunity and move forward.  This brought me back to DC's conversation with Eun Ho that it's ok to fall sometimes and that all things shall pass.  I am happy that Ho Beum finally realizes that he is bigger (or more talented) than the events that happened in his past.

@cherriesblue  A song from a father to his daughter.  In this case, grandfather to granddtr, reminding that he will always support her.

Two Hands, To You (Sweden Laundry)

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.12.21 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.22.19 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.21.53 PM

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.22.39 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.23.51 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.23.20 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.22.57 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.24.37 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.26.18 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.26.28 PM

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.25.28 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.25.51 PMScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.24.02 PM

tVN

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 4/20/2021 at 5:02 PM, cherriesblue said:

Wholeheartedly agree! I think he and Song Kang were marvelous in portraying the characters.  Could really feel their emotions, acting was great! They deserve awards, this series too.  Sad that such a beautiful drama is severely underrated.  

YES! I don't understand why this drama has not gained interest. This is one of the best drama in my opinion (and I'd say I am hard to please, lol).

A rant:

Spoiler

Well, I am upset with so-called "Song Kang fans" who flooded Love Alarm 2 videos, IG posts, whatever, crying they were hurt because the show (in their opinion) did injustice to Song Kang's character there. They even dragged down the other casts.

If they are truly Song Kang's fans, where are they now? Navillera is also worthy of their support.

I guess most of them just got attached with the love line in Love Alarm 2. Sigh.

Ok, back to the show:

God, I just watched the last episodes and my eyes hurt from tearing. Netflix shows only two more episodes left? Nooo, I want more of this sweet, heart warming (and tear jerking) drama.

• Like 4

I really loved how CR and haraboji's dance mirrored each other, including the falling snow. Also, just like how Ho Beum saw it. I'm glad Seong San saw it as well. Not only can the beauty of ballet be seen, it can be felt. Very thoughtful work by the writer and PD.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Gah I’m a mess after Ep10  :tears: .  It’s fitting that Haraboji wants to do swan lake.  Like his swan song.  :tears:.

Everyone is terrified.  I am glad his family members know now.  CR was living in constant fear that something would happen to Haraboji (he felt responsible for his welfare).  He opted initially to run away from that responsibility by telling Haraboji to quit ballet.  If he didn’t have to teach Haraboji, he was no longer his responsibility.  But it was for naught. Running away from it is not the solution.  Facing the abyss head on is.  Accepting it and making the most of what precious time is left.  Making memories that will live on in the minds of those who can still remember on Haraboji’s behalf.  

You’re right @bedifferent.  I liked the conversation between SG and his mom at the tteokbokki stall.  A mixture of grief and relief.  Relief because he’s no longer the only person in the family bearing the burden of the knowledge.  It’s a shared burden.  And as more and more members of the family learn about it, it will bind them closer as they shoulder it together.

I also liked the boys talk on the rooftop.  The framing of that shot was beautiful.  Right at the end after his friend encourages CR to just give it his best shot, he says this

spacer.png

then this lovely framed shot of the 2 boy with dreams looking up. And the church spires (2 of them) in the background.  As if giving them a blessing.  Hope for the young.  Circle of life. 

spacer.png

I love how the family opts to leave it for Haraboji to tell them for as long as they are able to.  It gives him that dignity.  No blame game.  No guilt tripping.  Just shared grief as they weep together when the penny drops.  They are all terrified.  No one is trying to act brave or pretend it isn’t something that you can just wish away or jolly along.  It’s just a resolute acceptance and to make the most of what little time they have left.  

I also love the depiction of DC’s lonely trek to the institution.  Getting his affairs in order.  There’s a certain stoicism that is remarkable here.  Courage under fire.  Rather than just imploding and retreating into depression, he ticks off things he wants to be able to do on his own whilst he is still lucid.  Then his lonely figure under the solitary tree on the hill.  As he talks to his friend who passed.  It highlights the journey he is embarking on.  No matter how much his family wants to be there with him, it is in reality a solitary affair as the battle is his alone.

spacer.png

2 more eps.  A much anticipated finale.  I don’t think I will be the only one wanting to watch Haraboji’s swan song so much more than CR’s competition dance.   It will be a standing ovation.  Of that I am sure. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Hae Nam is a smart and brave woman.

She immediately went to check her health and took her son with her.

But its clear that someone should be with her in the house.

She grabbed that hot pot with her hand.

Anyway, she should be healthy first for herself and only then for her husband.

I laughed when Mr. Shim appeared infront of Ho Beom and asked him if he had lunch.

Ho Beom was a little scared.  :D

This drama needs a little humor.

• Like 2

@nrllee I love all that you wrote in your post above. :heart:

17 hours ago, nrllee said:

Everyone is terrified.  I am glad his family members know now.  CR was living in constant fear that something would happen to Haraboji (he felt responsible for his welfare).  He opted initially to run away from that responsibility by telling Haraboji to quit ballet.  If he didn’t have to teach Haraboji, he was no longer his responsibility.  But it was for naught. Running away from it is not the solution.  Facing the abyss head on is.  Accepting it and making the most of what precious time is left.  Making memories that will live on in the minds of those who can still remember on Haraboji’s behalf.

This was the reason why I loved haraboji's dance so much. Haraboji knew the reason why CR changed his mind about teaching him ballet was because CR was terrified after the bathroom stall and car incidents. After haraboji's dance, I was moved when he let CR know that he's terrified as well, but he's not going to run away or give up. He wants his body to remember like CR had once said. I'm sure haraboji admitting he was scared wasn't easy to do, but he wanted to let CR to know he was not alone in the fear and they can do this together. It's really amazing that while it's haraboji who's bearing the illness, he's the one who's providing strength for the people around him. His legacy will certainly not be forgotten.

I love how the family opts to leave it for Haraboji to tell them for as long as they are able to.  It gives him that dignity.  No blame game.  No guilt tripping.  Just shared grief as they weep together when the penny drops.  They are all terrified.  No one is trying to act brave or pretend it isn’t something that you can just wish away or jolly along.  It’s just a resolute acceptance and to make the most of what little time they have left.  

Thanks for mentioning dignity in both your posts above. As caregivers, I think it's important to maintain the respect for a loved one and remember not let the diagnosis/disease overshadow who he/she is as a person. Like you, I love how the family has given haraboji his space and allows him tell them naturally. When he's ready, they will be too to accept and face what lies ahead together.

I also love the depiction of DS’s lonely trek to the institution.  Getting his affairs in order.  There’s a certain stoicism that is remarkable here.  Courage under fire.  Rather than just imploding and retreating into depression, he ticks off things he wants to be able to do on his own whilst he is still lucid.  Then his lonely figure under the solitary tree on the hill.  As he talks to his friend who passed.  It highlights the journey he is embarking on.  No matter how much his family wants to be there with him, it is in reality a solitary affair as the battle is his alone.

This was such a poignant scene. Haraboji understands his fate and he bravely accepts it. You're right that no doubt his family will be there with him, but there's also an internal journey that's he's embarking on that only he would be able to do himself.

• Love 2

I also love the depiction of DS’s lonely trek to the institution.  Getting his affairs in order.  There’s a certain stoicism that is remarkable here.  Courage under fire.  Rather than just imploding and retreating into depression, he ticks off things he wants to be able to do on his own whilst he is still lucid.  Then his lonely figure under the solitary tree on the hill.  As he talks to his friend who passed.  It highlights the journey he is embarking on.  No matter how much his family wants to be there with him, it is in reality a solitary affair as the battle is his alone.

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

This was such a poignant scene. Haraboji understands his fate and he bravely accepts it. You're right that no doubt his family will be there with him, but there's also a internal journey that's he's embarking on that only he would be able to do himself.

I love what both of you have said about DC.   Am glad we are watching this drama together.

I like how the drama shows the stages haraboji went through before the latest episode.  First was the shock over his diagnosis followed by fear and helplessness.  He sat on the bench, cried out to his parents, we all share his sadness and despair.  It's important for us to acknowledge that DC needs to have his private moment of grief for he needs to find within himself a way to make peace with his mortality.  I thought it was also a reflection of how mentally strong haraboji is, just like when he took a year to rehab after the broken leg. He didn't show much of the depression some Alzheimer's pts exhibit.  He's able to regain control of his time, planned out the living arrangement so that he doesn't become a burden for his family.  Both DC and HN have said that since they couldn't give their children wings (due to their financial situations), they shouldn't at least be a burden to them.  As you have mentioned, one of the hardest things for Alzheimer's patients to maintain is their self worth and dignity. It's important to allow Deok Chul the right to retain the control of his life.

• Love 2

Navillera: Episode 9

by lovepark

navillera09-00242.jpg

Even though his memory gets worse by the day, our elderly student lives in the moment and refuses to give up on ballet. It might have taken him a long time to go after his dream, but now that he is here, he will not back down. Understanding his student’s determination, our young ballerino sticks by his side and pushes him to be his best even if those goals seem impossible.

EPISODE 9 RECAP

navillera09-00005.jpg

Chae-rok broaches the topic of Deok-chul’s lapse of memory and asks why he pretended to not know him. Deok-chul says that he was zoning out, and Chae-rok accepts his obvious lie. He tells Deok-chul that he is coming over for dinner, and they walk the rest of the way in silence.

As they reach the house, Chae-rok and Deok-chul run into Seong-gwan who is here to pick up some stuff for a trip. While Hae-nam and Deok-chul prepare the table, Chae-rok steps outside to chat with Seong-gwan. He asks about his trip, and Seong-gwan tells him that he will be away for a while because of his documentary.

Talking in circles, Chae-rok struggles to find the correct words to explain the situation with Deok-chul, and Seong-gwan grows increasingly frustrated. He tells Chae-rok to spit it out, so Chae-rok drops all the frills: “Grandpa has Alzheimer’s.”

The words can barely get out of his mouth as Seong-gwan refuses to believe him, but Chae-rok explains how Deok-chul already had two incidences. Though he saw it written in his notebook a while back, Chae-rok will pretend to know nothing until Deok-chul is ready to tell him. In the meantime, he will do everything he can to help Deok-chul achieve his goal of doing ballet.

The news of Deok-chul’s illness bothers Ho-bum as well, and he stares at his computer screen, unable to play.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/04/navillera-episode-9/

Haraboji is a positive brave man. Despite his fears of Alzheimer's, he still wants to learn ballet. When CR told him to continue learning, haraboji smiled. I really like Park In Hwan very much. He is an amazing actor, his smile is beaming and he doesn't mind learning ballet for the role. He seems so friendly with younger actors. I remember him in Brilliant Heritage where he acted with different people from different generations. I think he is sociable and friendly.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, cherriesblue said:

When ChaeRok said' "even if you don't remember me, I'll remember you" got me all choked up.

This statement reminded me of the Isaiah 49:15 verse, " Could a mother forget a child who nurses at her breast? Could she fail to love an infant who came from her own body? Even if a mother could forget, I will never forget you."

• Like 1