[Drama 2021] Like a Butterfly/ Navillera, 나빌레라

larus

Ep 8 here we go again :dissapointed_relieved:

That scene of ChaeRok dancing in the park at nighttime was utterly marvelous along with the background music.

And the way he looked out for grandpa was touching.  He was distracted during their lesson and was staring into space, not realizing grandpa had done the routine already.

Aside from the osts, the several instrumental background music in this series is superb, so appropriate for the scenes.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

OMG, this show never fails to make me cry.

Darn it. When harabeoji lost his memory and Chae-rok danced in the snow... that's so touching.

Good thing that Ho-beom did not harass harabeoji. The trailer from last episode was misleading, lol. Hopefully he got better and better.

Based on the trailer for next episode, I guess Seong-gwan finally knows about his dad's condition? Hopefully he and the rest of the family can support harabeoji. I can't imagine how heart breaking the moment will be. Getting a pack of tissue ready!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Geez was fooled by last ep. preview that Ho Beom was bullying gramps, when he was trying to help. Well, he could've handled the matter gently couldn't he? He scared gramps, who was already confused. 

And then the sight of Chae Rok dancing ballet in snow to help jog gramp's memory was poignant, yet beautiful at the same time. 

Who knew football could be used as a life analogy LoL? Chae Rok's friend impart some words of wisdom. 

My eyes teared watching gramps holding onto his memories.:bawling: I don't know why gramp's daughter is trying to get pregnant when she's obviously quite aged? It's risky to have kids at such a late stage and on top of that her husband acts like a child himself! :unamused:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2

Cried so much again. Dementia is scary, to watch someone I know being lost right in front of our eyes. Fear that I'll lose my mind surely in the future, really what we can do to prepare that I don't really know, just like Deukchul said.

Chaerok is a sweet kid, who tries to protect haraboji, following him home and quietly urging him to find the right path. :'(  Also, Chaerok's last dance scene was beautiful. I wondered how they're going to do dance scene in webtoon, they changed rain to snow due to season but it's still very wonderful, more so in the drama that this was CR's desperate effort to bring back DC's mind. 

Now that only 4 episodes left, things are moving so fast! I guess we will see Dad coming back to Seoul to care CR, and things will happen between CR's dad, CR and HB. And looking at episode 9 preview, CR's going to do something he'll regret again, and maybe Seungjoo too.

Here is the episode 9 preview.

Here is the making clip for episode 7 and 8.

SK is a precious 28 month baby who loves to feed cutesy animals and drink banana milk. How could he be this cute!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 2

The writer has been brilliant in her use of flashbacks to add context to the present.  Haraboji’s past life was hard but it was honest.  He had a brilliant mind for recall - remembering all those addresses as a postman couldn’t have been easy.  And all those lessons past, he’s handed down to the present generation with his pearls of wisdom.  I always thought it was odd to have that sofa out in the open in their courtyard (what happens when it rains?).  But that was where relationships were forged and repaired.  Quietly.  As family members sat side by side and worked through issues.  I realized that it worked because they could talk in the open space (not enclosed which often tends to exacerbate differences) and not facing each other (which would be confrontational).  It lends itself to reflection and contemplation.  The flashbacks of Haraboji’s life are all the more poignant because we know that the disease will progressively take away those precious memories that make him the man he is now.  His legacy will then live on in the lives of the people he touched and handed those pearls of wisdom to.  Offering perspective, a listening ear, understanding.  May they remember even as he forgets.  CR will soar on the shoulders of an old man who walked into his life when he most needed a father figure.  Long may CR dance on stage.  Spurred on by the memory of an old man who loved dance in its truest form.  Dance CR, dance.  Dance for Haraboji.  :heart:

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

I had a feeling that Deok-Chool knew he is ill but I thought he wanted to do ballet as something he has to do before is too late. But it is more heartbreaking and beautiful how seeing Chae-Rok `s dance triggered old memories and helped him remember.

Chae Rok and Deok Chool learn from each other and help each other. I also believe Chae Rok will dance for Haraboji and discover how much ballet will mean to him, He will give all. And Deok Chool will help Chae Rok`s relationship with his father. 

I like the friendship between Chae Rok and his friend. He gave him a good advice. But it is time for Deok Chool to tell his family about the illness.

Chae Rok danced in the snow until Haraboji remembered him! I wanted him to remember so bad!

This show will bring more tears in the upcoming episodes.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 2

On 4/13/2021 at 12:54 AM, mistymorning said:

At the last scene, I knew it was coming but I still cried a bucket. PIH is a great actor. :'( And when we're desperate we still need mom and dad.

I know!... This was one of the best moments in the episode. Somehow, seeing an old man crying because of something he cannot control, being scared, and calling for his parents... It just moved me a lot.

No matter how old you get, you still feel like a kid most of the time and you rely on what you perceive as authoritative figures...

@nrlleeI so agree with the use of flashbacks. I like how the past emerges in the present without confusing the viewer. I also think it is touching to see the life of a man as he nears his death... It could be sad but somehow I feel a sense of accomplishment that overshadows the rest.

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

Hi everyone ~ I've watched up to end of episode 7 so far which was :tears:.  With the way that haraboji was diligently writing down the simplest things in his notebook, I had a feeling early on that he already knew of his Alzheimer's. Still, the details such as his ID message in the notebook, self-portrait and haraboji trying to wrap his mind over the diagnosis on the bench made the revelation feel so real and emotional.

Haraboji shouldn't cope with it alone so I'm glad CR found out about it. When I saw the shock and pain on CR's face, it felt like a reaction of a family member. I guess that's part of why this story is so special. How two strangers randomly befriend each other and form a close bond as if they're truly family. Next, I hope halmeoni and his kids find out soon. They should know about it. It was interesting how his youngest son wrote the login/password on the sticky note for haraboji so I think he may aware of it.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

@nrllee

Ahahah maybe the couch is like.. waterproof? Or it's made of synthetic material of some sort? 

The last sentence on your post, "Dance Chae Rok. Dance for haraboji/gramps" I read it in the tone of The Phantom of the Opera LoL. But yea seriously though it sucks that gramp's illness is taking over, hopefully his wayward son will get hit by reality check and learn to treat his father well before it's too late. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

11 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

It was interesting how his youngest son wrote the login/password on the sticky note for haraboji so I think he may aware of it.

Seong Kwan is a physician so he’s quite used to taking care of pts, some are elderly too.  It’s a common practice to write things down for them, give printed handouts... so that patients can have information later after surgery.  Haraboji called before about his password, Seong Kwan was helping out.  I really like his character.  His deadpan sense of humor.  The thing about being a surgeon is that you have to be calm, collected.. you have to be logical and not affected by emotions to operate under pressure.  He’s a walking example of someone I know! LOL

I really love how Seong Kwan insists he was adopted given how crazy the rest of the siblings are. LOL

One thing about Mr Sim’s neurologist.  I thought the doctor patient scenes were realistic.  The examples and methods he used to clinically diagnose Alzheimer’s are good.  I like that he is professional, caring but gave good advices to haraboji.  The audience gets a chance to see how the patients (our grandparents :wacko:) experience at the medical appts, what they need to prepare and consider.  I wish Mr Sim would come to the next appointment with halmoni, if not the whole family.  He looks so lonely, trying to absorb all the instructions by the physician, with a diminshed memory.  I feel so sad for him to go through this alone.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:11 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

I don't know why gramp's daughter is trying to get pregnant when she's obviously quite aged? It's risky to have kids at such a late stage and on top of that her husband acts like a child himself! :unamused:

It was really touching to hear Seong-Suk’s disheartening defeat in her voice.  It made halmoni realized the silent struggle she and hubby went through while keeping outer appearance of a happy couple.  Yeong Il’s sunny nature could be read as immaturity but really, he supports his wife’s effort to conceive a child without any complaint all these years.  Halmoni realized that he kept his disappointments hidden - is really patient and loving toward his wife.  Totally deserving of drinking all her wines so she went to make more for the man.

I really like the family dynamics in Mr Sim’s household.  We don’t have chaebol or makjang meals, rather the normal usual dinners like those by my family.  The children are all busy, too busy to answer or call their parents, but they do make an effort to gather whenever there is an important family occasion.  The siblings’ personalities are different, they fight and disagree in opinions but you obviously see they try hard to support each other underneath it all.

21 hours ago, nrllee said:

The writer has been brilliant in her use of flashbacks to add context to the present.  Haraboji’s past life was hard but it was honest.  He had a brilliant mind for recall - remembering all those addresses as a postman couldn’t have been easy.  And all those lessons past, he’s handed down to the present generation with his pearls of wisdom.  I always thought it was odd to have that sofa out in the open in their courtyard (what happens when it rains?).  But that was where relationships were forged and repaired.  Quietly.  As family members sat side by side and worked through issues.  I realized that it worked because they could talk in the open space (not enclosed which often tends to exacerbate differences) and not facing each other (which would be confrontational).  It lends itself to reflection and contemplation.  The flashbacks of Haraboji’s life are all the more poignant because we know that the disease will progressively take away those precious memories that make him the man he is now.  His legacy will then live on in the lives of the people he touched and handed those pearls of wisdom to.  

Couldn’t agree with you more.  The drama started out showing Mr Sim as a hard working ordinary man who tried his best to support his family.  In his twilight year,  when he is able to slow down and recollect, he begins to remember those ordinary moments in his life that were actually beautiful and happy.   At the time, he was too busy dealing with life’s hardship.  I think Mr. Sim has never considered himself blessed.  Life was always a struggle, financially, emotionally.  But now, just like his granddtr EunHo, he realized those small moments... the bus ride home with his parents, the bath house, the births of his children brough him joy.  Nothing grand, all personal small moments, that make him who he is.  

I feel for halmoni.  She is a strong woman,  a fighter and a realist.  I think she will handle his disease well but the one moment that she sat at the table drinking after finding out about Seong Suk, I wanted to hug her. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I really like the family dynamics in Mr Sim’s household.  We don’t have chaebol or makjang meals, rather the normal usual dinners like those by my family.  The children are all busy, too busy to answer or call their parents, but they do make an effort to gather whenever there is an important family occasion.  The siblings’ personalities are different, they fight and disagree in opinions but you obviously see they try hard to support each other underneath it all.

I really love how the writer deals with all the relationships.  Nothing feels forced.  Everything just flows naturally.  The friendships, the orthopaedic doctor-CR relationship, the teacher-student, parent-child.  It’s just all very fluid and authentic.  Despite seemingly gruff and distant externally, it’s actually warm and comfortable deep down.  Undergirded by a deep concern and care for the other person.  I thought the suggestion of a blossoming love between CR and EunHo would be distracting but the writer has dealt with it in just the right measure.  Like she’s dealt with all the relationships so far.  It’s just part of the whole story.  None of the subplots and side issues detract from the overall flow of the story.  It’s not an easy feat to have so many moving parts coming together to form a cohesive whole?  Because the people are all so different?  But somehow it just works?  Bravo to the writer.

I love the way CR’s friend sticks by him.  That’s how boys/men relate.  Using relevant analogies such as the positions for football.  It’s Haraboji’s story to tell, his lonely sojourn into the abyss.  All CR can do is to support him through it.

And that final scene when CR danced Mr Sim back from his trance as the snow fell?  So moving.  :wub:  I liked the flashback too.  Of how Mr Sim was experiencing one of his forgetful moments when he first saw CR dance.  Full circle.

The self portrait is foreboding isn’t it?  :tears:  It’s one of those they put on a hearse?  Or the family carries with them during the funeral procession?

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

Song Kang's agency Namoo Studio YouTube content for SK Navillera, focused on SK's Ballet scenes.

Title is "Meeting pretty funny ballerino, Song Kang/Namoo Theatre"

They styled it similarly with KR human documentary show called "Human Theatre" - or "Screening Humanity" by wiki - Namoo makes this type of videos for their actors/actresses. I remember seeing similar one for Lee Jun-Ki.

After watching this - and other variety show called Michuri - he is a cute introvert with strange sense of humor. :glasses: I hope he stays this way and don't lose his innocence.

Also, I like their OSTs. In most occasions, they are using musics all right. Not too much, not too less, just right. Here is the list of OSTs I found in youtube. Listing only official sources for now.

"My Day" by Taemin

"Butterfly" by Kim Kooh Heon(B.O.Y)

"Beautiful Words" by Sohyang 

"End of the Sea" by Choi Baek-Ho - Used at the end of Episode 7

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

@nrllee, thanks for the review link, I appreciate reading it, and looking forward to her next reviews :) 

I noticed that you guys are wondering who is SK's body double for ballet. He is ballerino Kim Myung-yoon, and this is his instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/free_yun93_/

Unfortunately I can't find any youtube video of his performance. but there's practice video, and photos with SK.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1