[Drama 2021] Black Sun/The Veil, 검은 태양

larus

MBC, the life-and-death of the black sun, will it regain the reputation of the drama kingdom

d47aebd7-890e-4a2f-86fc-f95b32b87dda.jpg

Can actor Namgoong-min's action drama 'The Black Sun' regain the fame of the MBC drama kingdom?

On the 16th, MBC's new Friday-Saturday drama 'Black Sun' production presentation was held online. Namgoong-min, Park Ha-sun, Kim Ji-eun, and Kim Seong-yong, PD, attended the event and talked about the work.

'Black Sun' is the winner of the 2018 MBC Drama Script Contest by writer Park Seok-ho, and is the story of a top-ranking NIS agent who went missing a year ago, returning to the organization to find an insider traitor who dropped him into the abyss. The story of Han Ji-hyeok (Namgoong-min), who was the best field agent of the National Intelligence Service, but disappeared during the operation, lost his memory and returned after a year, and the characters who engage in a high-level psychological warfare, stimulating curiosity.

A prelude to a Korean-style espionage-type action drama opens

The work emphasizes various elements as strengths, such as splendid action and high-level psychological warfare between the characters. In particular, unlike previous works that focused only on the narrative of the characters with the National Intelligence Service as the background, 'Black Sun' focuses on the inside of the organization, the National Intelligence Service, which has been veiled.

021a00e7-aae8-447b-b9e2-26f2891a0b5a.jpg

Regarding the differentiation from other works, PD Kim Seong-yong said, "We focused on the National Intelligence Service. For more than 10 years, no work was filmed by directly visiting the National Intelligence Service. We received active advice and support from the National Intelligence Service. It has a different sense of realism. The density was increased a lot and it looked like a real NIS employee. I want to count the action, but the realistic density is the strength of our drama."

Producer Kim Seong-yong said, "It is true that it was a burden. But after filming began, the burden turned into responsibility. Everyone gathered their heads while thinking about how to reach the viewers. Feeling the value of collaboration, the burden was offset."

75802434-1cf0-4458-932e-7397666ea5c9.jpg

Starting with Namgoong-min, who gained 10 kg, Park Ha-sun, who transformed into a sharp image with a short haircut and intense makeup, and Kim Ji-eun, who will present a three-dimensional YuJ-E character with unrookie acting, raise expectations. In addition, actors Kim Byung-ki, Lee Kyung-young, Jang Young-nam and Yoo Oh-seong, who add credibility just by name, met. Regarding the casting, PD Kim Seong-yong said, "Namgoong-min is an actor who believes and sees. I thought of Namgoong-min as an actor with excellent expression and interpretation of the script. He has excellent eyes, but he makes viewers believe and see. I actively pursued him.”

He continued, "I saw Park Ha-sun's awards ceremony photos. She was so charming and charismatic. Park Ha-sun also felt attached to the character and communicated with her. They are co-existent actors. There was no reason not to cast. All three of them did a great job. They did their best for a character that had never been seen before."

'Black Sun' Nam Goong-min, Park Ha-sun, Kim Ji-eun, and Kim Seong-yong, producers, attended the production presentation and talked about the work.

Namgoong-min said, "Of course, there is a sense of pressure in this work. But I did my best to overcome the pressure. I was able to overcome it with all the actors and staff. Each day went by quickly while filming. I practiced to treat it like a pro. After that, I exercised and memorized the script. Rather, I didn't have time to read the script compared to when I was doing other dramas. Unfortunately, the external work was difficult. Still, I gradually gained confidence in the director." 

https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2021091614530005565

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Namgoong Min, Park Ha Sun, And Kim Ji Eun Talk About The Epic Scale Of MBC’s New Blockbuster Drama “The Veil”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 16, 2021
by C. Hong

On September 16, MBC’s upcoming drama “The Veil” held an online press conference with producing director (PD) Kim Sung Yong and actors Namgoong Min, Park Ha Sun, and Kim Ji Eun.

“The Veil” is MBC’s first Friday-Saturday drama and has been described as a blockbuster with a budget of 15 billion won (about $12.8 million). It is a special project to mark MBC’s 60th anniversary, and the script, which was written by Park Seok Ho, won a prize at the MBC drama script contest in 2018.

“The Veil,” which is about an intelligence agent seeking revenge on the traitor who caused his downfall, is also the first Korean drama to be set entirely within the National Intelligence Service (NIS). Although other dramas have featured NIS agents, “The Veil” will focus on the internal workings of the NIS and episodes will be based on real events and historical evidence. The NIS also provided advice and sponsored filming in the early stages of the drama.

Namgoong Min stars as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions made him a legend at the NIS. However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, he suddenly vanished off the face of the earth. After losing his memories and going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor responsible for his downfall.

the-veil.jpeg

Spoiler

the-veil-1.jpeg

PD Kim Sung Yong said, “Namgoong Min is an actor you can trust, and he’s brilliant at analyzing the script. As soon as I got the script, I thought of him. I thought that if he accepted the casting offer, we were more than halfway to our goal. Thankfully, he was interested in the script and responded to our offer. Now that I’ve worked with him, I can understand why people trust in him as an actor. He’s great at picking scripts, but he also immerses himself so deeply in his acting that you can’t help but believe him. I’m depending on him a lot these days.”

He continued, “I saw a photo of Park Ha Sun at an awards show and thought that she looked really similar to the character. In her short hair and intense makeup, she exuded a charismatic appeal. Park Ha Sun told me that when she was imagining the character, she thought of that look too. I felt that we were on the same page and actively made her the casting offer.”

namgoong-min-the-veil.jpeg

Namgoong Min has garnered a lot of attention recently for bulking up by over 10 kilograms (about 22 pounds) while working out for his role in “The Veil.” Namgoong Min said, “I was looking through a lot of drama scripts, and it was a time when it was the trend to go for stylish, light, appealing dramas. I was a little bit tired of those kind of stories, so I looked to see if there was something different. Then I saw ‘The Veil’ and it had a much weightier appeal. I think that it will be a drama with a message and exciting elements that people will enjoy.”

He continued, “I first decided [on bulking up] after meeting the writer for the first time. This character is mostly focused on revenge and punishment, so he’s always on the attack. I wanted to give him the feeling that he couldn’t be easily approached. I started working out on January 20. I’ve been lifting weights regularly since my early 20s, but this was the first time that I really built my body and bulked up for a role. I started to bulk up around 64 kilograms [141 pounds] and now I’m around 78 kilograms [172 pounds]. I craved floury foods and even had nightmares while bulking up. In my dream, I’d take off my shirt and look in the mirror and all my muscles would be gone. I wasn’t aiming for a perfect body, but I worked really hard so that I wouldn’t have any regrets later. It was really difficult.” He added jokingly, “I wish that filming would end soon.”

Spoiler

park-ha-sun-the-veil.jpeg

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/photo/202109/117693_92586_3649.jpg

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/photo/202109/117693_92586_3649.jpg

http://www.topdaily.kr/news/photo/202109/117693_92585_3646.jpg

Park Ha Sun plays Seo Soo Yeon, a team leader at the NIS’s Crime Information Center. She said, “The script of ‘The Veil’ kept getting more and more interesting as it went on, and I was looking forward to it even just as a fan. I wanted to play a character I’d never done before. There are times when an established actor feels jealous of rookie actors and wants to do something completely new. I’m grateful to the director for believing in me. This is also the first time I’m saying it, but I also chose the drama because of Namgoong Min. I really wanted to work with him, so I’m honored to have been able to this time. I’d heard a lot about him, but I was really able to learn a lot from him.”

Spoiler

kim-ji-eun-the-veil.jpeg

Kim Ji Eun plays Yoo Je Yi, an elite agent who joined the NIS at the age of 20 and is Han Ji Hyuk’s partner at the agency. She said, “Each episode will feature several incidents, with that one big incident at its core. It’s more fun to watch if you try to guess what’s going to happen next.”

Namgoong Min added, “Han Ji Hyuk returns to find the traitor in the organization. While he’s hunting the traitor, his memories from a year ago come back slowly one by one, but I think it’ll be fun if the viewers also try to guess who the traitor could be.” Park Ha Sun said, “The big thing to keep in mind is that you can’t trust anyone in this drama. You can’t easily divide those who are good characters from the bad.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1489066wpp/namgoong-min-park-ha-sun-and-kim-ji-eun-talk-about-the-epic-scale-of-mbcs-new-blockbuster-drama-the-veil

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Namgoong Min, Park Ha Sun, And Kim Ji Eun Get Playful Behind The Scenes Of New Spy Drama “The Veil”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 17, 2021
by E. Cha

MBC’s upcoming drama “The Veil” has shared a cute glimpse of its stars behind the scenes of filming!

“The Veil” is a new blockbuster action drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk unexpectedly winds up losing his memories in a horrific accident that leaves all his teammates dead. After going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Park Ha Sun will be starring in the drama as Seo Soo Yeon, a resourceful team leader at the NIS’s Crime Information Center, while Kim Ji Eun will play Han Ji Hyuk’s unreadable partner Yoo Je Yi.

In newly released behind-the-scenes photos, the three leads display their focus and dedication as they prepare for filming. Namgoong Min and Park Ha Sun are unable to tear their eyes off the script between takes—even while getting their makeup done—and Kim Ji Eun looks serious as she discusses a scene with the director.

Namgoong-Min.jpeg

Park-Ha-Sun.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Ji-Eun.jpeg

Park-Ha-Sun-2.jpeg

However, the new photos also capture the actors’ playful side off-camera. In contrast to the gritty, life-or-death-stakes vibe of the drama, Namgoong Min lights up the set with a beaming smile that doesn’t quite match his blood-stained appearance, and Kim Ji Eun impishly poses for a photo with her gun in hand.

Spoiler

Namgoong-Min-2.jpeg

Kim-Ji-Eun-2.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1489093wpp/namgoong-min-park-ha-sun-and-kim-ji-eun-get-playful-behind-the-scenes-of-new-spy-drama-the-veil

• Like 7

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Black Sun/The Veil, 검은 태양 -Friday & Saturday @21:00- 22:20 - Namgoong Min & Park Ha Sun

3 Key Points To Anticipate In Upcoming Premiere Of “The Veil”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 17, 2021
by L. Kim

The premiere of MBC’s “The Veil” is just hours away!

“The Veil” is about an intelligence agent named Han Ji Hyuk (Namgoong Min) seeking revenge on the traitor who caused his downfall. It has been described as a blockbuster with a budget of 15 billion won (about $12.8 million). It is a special project to mark MBC’s 60th anniversary, and the script, which was written by Park Seok Ho, won a prize at the MBC drama script contest in 2018.

Below are three points to look out for in the drama’s first episode:

The way Han Ji Hyuk’s colleagues react when he returns from hell

Han Ji Hyuk disappears during an operation and gets discovered a year later by maritime police who were searching for smuggling ships. The figures of National Intelligence Service (NIS) seem disturbed by his sudden return, which hints that there’s a great mystery in the organization.

Furthermore, there’s the indifferent attitude of Bang Young Chan (Kim Byung Gi), the director of NIS, and suspicious movements of Lee In Hwan (Lee Kyoung Young), the first deputy director of the domestic department. On top of that, NIS’s second deputy director Do Jin Sook (Jang Young Nam), the second deputy director of the overseas department, will attempt to turn this situation into an opportunity.

the-veil1.jpg

Han Ji Hyuk lost all his memories but has only one clue

Han Ji Hyuk lost his memories after a terrible accident that left his colleagues for dead, and he returns a year later with no recollection of what happened. There isn’t a hint about what he’s been doing, where he’s been, and who has set him up.

However, there will be an unexpected element that awakens Han Ji Hyuk, who wasn’t able to regain his memories through all kinds of methods. What is that key factor that triggered his memories, and will he be able to reveal that happened that night he was thrown into a trap?

The reason for Seo Soo Yeon’s (Park Ha Sun’s) cold shoulder and the deep conflict between her and Han Ji Hyuk

Seo Soo Yeon, a team leader at the NIS’s Crime Information Center, is Han Ji Hyuk’s colleague. Although they had different values and ways of handling work, they’ve always been at peace with each other. However, a big crack appeared in their relationship after his disappearance. This crack will cause uncontrollable misunderstandings and hatred between the two characters. Viewers can expect to find out why Seo Soo Yeon is giving Han Ji Hyuk the cold shoulder and what will happen when he suspects her as being a hidden traitor in the organization.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1489145wpp/3-key-points-to-anticipate-in-upcoming-premiere-of-the-veil

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Namgoong Min Faces Off Against A Mysterious Enemy In “The Veil”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 18, 2021
by E. Cha

MBC’s “The Veil” has shared an intriguing sneak peek of its second episode!

“The Veil” is a new blockbuster action drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk suddenly vanishes off the face of the earth following a horrific accident. After losing his memories and going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Spoilers

On the first episode of “The Veil,” Han Ji Hyuk attempted in vain to recover his lost memories in order to figure out the identity of the culprit who cruelly murdered his colleagues. However, the episode ended with an unexpected twist: after following a trail of clues left by an unknown individual, Han Ji Hyuk stumbled upon a video of himself in which he revealed that he had intentionally erased his own memories in order to hunt down the traitor.

In the video, a battered Han Ji Hyuk stared down the camera as he said urgently, “There’s a rat in our organization. I erased my own memories in order to find that person.”

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, Han Ji Hyuk finds himself caught up in a high-speed chase where he both hunts and is hunted. Despite being visibly injured and bleeding, the fearless agent looks more determined than ever as he emerges from a smoking car crash.

Another photo captures Han Ji Hyuk holding a mysterious enemy at gunpoint, piquing viewers’ curiosity as to who might be staring down the barrel of his gun.

Namgoong-Min-22.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1489223wpp/namgoong-min-faces-off-against-a-mysterious-enemy-in-the-veil

• Like 6
  • Love 2

A solid first episode -

Already know I'm gonna like the "professional" teamed up with the "misfits" group aspect - I'm also going to like the Master/Student relationship he's going to have with his new partner - it may be cliche' but as long as its well done, it'll still be great. 

2 things for certain will happen - He will teach her how to shoot, and he will care for his colleagues by the end. 

I like it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

IRDVcZ9.gif

seriously these bad people in kdrama got a GOLD of HEART  if I were gangster I wouldn’t be giving  a blanket to my hostages cos I wouldn’t give a damn if they cold when I am  planning to killed them and sell them in pieces :mrgreen:

• LOL 10

Hi guys! Finally, watched the first episode & it was grand! Namggong Min rocks the show as I expected.

And Han Ji hyuk's memory lost story is interesting! I wonder if his enemy made his memory lost or he did it all by himself?? What about the video footage he found at the end of the episode? He is shocked by himself!

Can't wait for episode 2. This is totally my cup of tea! :)

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Hmm Episode 1 sort of intrigues me I guess, but not sure for how long. 

All the colleagues are jerks, though. So one of their own comes back from "dead", clearly looks tortured, but nobody cares about his mental health.

That's the awful thing: from barely letting him rest after looking bloody to be interrogated (yea I get it, the circumstances of his sudden appearance are Strange, but you just look at him looking bloodied up and ask "LOL Is that guy Jesus or what?" Wow.), to asking him things like "do you remember what I asked of you" with hint of threat, to ridicule.  Wow, when he comes to new work, nobody clapped for him. Granted he wasn't carebear, but their boss told them that the guy came back from torture, and nobody claps? 

Also the old guy in the office and the chubby lady just staring at him, instead of introducing. 

I don't like the female lead either. She is very bland, from Mary Jane and then 1 year later becoming a goth sister. Also I can't believe she is an agent considering she is making out with her colleague (frowned upon, right?) in front of the restaurant, where all her superiors are assembled. Do you have a brain? Nope, considering you act as if this guy killed your making out buddy with his bare friends. 

I get there is suspicion about Han Ji Hyuk, but he should be treated as a HUMAN, not as a pest. 

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

2 things for certain will happen - He will teach her how to shoot, and he will care for his colleagues by the end. 

all the agency says how he doesn't care about his colleagues. Did he kill all his partners (well apart from the two who ended up dead)? There's a reason he is the top agent. If the other colleagues wanted comfort and hugs, they shouldn't start work at NIS. Jeez! 

Just because he chooses to be quiet, he is slated as some guy who cares nothing about others. Disgusting.

E-15zeAVIAEl_Th?format=jpg&name=large

Pasting this chart here as I don't know who is who yet! cr. as seen in photo

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Hot damn! The body on Nam Goong Min LoL. He looks like a body builder meets avenger ha-ha! Even the way he moves was funny to me, it looked like a sumo wrestler or the Hulk LoL. 

As is the case with espionage, there's always a mole among them. So now Ji Hyuk has to find out which one.. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 4