[Drama 2021] Black Sun/The Veil, 검은 태양

larus

Namgoong Min Faces Off Against An Enraged Kim Jong Tae In “The Veil”

Namgoong Min Faces Off Against An Enraged Kim Jong Tae In “The Veil”

Oct 9, 2021
by E. Cha

MBC’s “The Veil” has shared a sneak peek of a tense confrontation between Namgoong Min and Kim Jong Tae!

“The Veil” is a blockbuster spy drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk suddenly vanishes off the face of the earth following a horrific accident. After losing his memories and going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “The Veil,” Han Ji Hyuk learned that it was under the orders of his former mentor Kang Pil Ho (played by Kim Jong Tae) that his partner Yoo Je Yi (Kim Ji Eun) had sent him into a trap.

In the drama’s next episode, the rapidly deteriorating relationship between the once-close Han Ji Hyuk and Kang Pil Ho reaches a turning point. When Han Ji Hyuk seeks his former mentor out at his office, Kang Pil Ho winds up exploding in fury and grabbing the other agent by his collar.

Despite the dangerous look in the infuriated Kang Pil Ho’s eyes, Han Ji Hyuk remains impossibly unfazed as he glares coolly back at the man he once trusted with his life.

Namgoong-Min-Kim-Jong-Tae.jpeg

Namgoong-Min.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Jong-Tae.jpeg

To find out why Kang Pil Ho loses his temper—and whether the two men will be able to mend their broken relationship—tune in to the next episode of “The Veil” on October 9 at 9:50 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1492599wpp/namgoong-min-faces-off-against-an-enraged-kim-jong-tae-in-the-veil

• Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Here's what I think.

Seo Soo Yeon is not dead because we were shown that she woke up. She might be put in "coma" and brought to a "safe place" by Kang Pil Ho, who said he wants to end the bloodshed and lose another agent.

Baekmosa tortured and killed double agent Cho Sung Woo. Is he the head of Sangmuhoe?

Ye Jin first saw a glimpse of Baekmosa's face reflected in the side mirror of the ambulance. She seems to recognize him, which could be the reason why she hesitated about firing her gun.

The second time she saw him was after the bomb exploded. He was closer and then she saw scar marks on his left hand. Again the scene teased viewers that there is recognition from both characters. He aimed the gun at Ye Jin but the camera focused on his face, which looked conflicted. He later aimed the gun at the unconscious Ji Hyuk.

Is Baekmosa Ye Jin's missing father, Choi Il Rak? He could have been under the knife to alter his face like Sun Woo but they did not remove the scars (burn scars?) on his left hand, so that Ye Ji can recognize him later.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

10 hours ago, reddragon said:

Baekmosa tortured and killed double agent Cho Sung Woo. Is he the head of Sangmuhoe?

What we know in EP8 is that Baekmosa is connected to Do Jin-Sook. She once recruited exiled NIS agents in past projects and secretly formed her own army. (she is still doing now even though she has stepped down from her position).

I suspect that Baekmosa is one of the pawns she placed under the strategic plan. So it is possible that the head of Sangmuhoe is either Do Jin-Sook or Lee In-Hwan at different stand, because both Ji-Hyuk and Je-Yi keep receiving "warming" messages that the traitor is the insider in the team.

Like what Do Jin-Sook said, many agents including Lee In Hwan using trade off information to their advantages, but no benefits for their country. Lee is the type more inclined to the political election, internal affair, while Do is more towards on foreign affair.

I think Kang Pil-Ho keeps collecting and hiding information to against the higher up, he contacted the "Planet" company is obviously trying to investigate the secret activities of "selling personal data" and "leaking up to where" , so his motive is not clear till now. But I know he is not a bad guy at this moment.

So Kim Dong-Wook (his teammate) was the betrayer shown in the video. Why sent that video to Ji-Hyuk from Ha Dong-Kyun, it was originally recorded by Ji-Hyuk? Why until now? Again it is the timing that is utmost important.

This drama script calls for winning works in MBC - it is worth watching and makes it so much captivating. Playing with people's closest fears and weaknesses in the name of revealing the truth.

There is a old saying : power doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt people.

I hope the director will not deviate from the original story until the end.

My best favourite quote in this drama : The Truth can never be monopolized. The Truth may come off differently for everyone, it depends on where you stand :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Finally finished watching episode 8!

If Baek Mo Sa is really Yoo Je Yi's father, then why would he shot at his own daughter? I don't think that he would fail to recognize her unless he last saw her in the childhood. Baek Mo Sa's partner is fluent in lip-reading?? Now that I think about it, Baek Mo Sa seems interested in Yoo Je Yi! And also Baek Mo Sa seems to know much about Han Ji Hyuk as in the next preview? This is so interesting!

About Kang Pil Ho, he punished himself by deliberately bumping in to cars at the parking lot? I think Han Ji Hyuk trusted Kang too much!

8 episodes down, only 4 to go! But I still can't figure it out who the real traitor is inside the agency! Why am I like this? :joy:

Is it Do Jin Wook or Kang Pil Ho or Lee In Hwan? :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

If Baek Mo Sa is really Yoo Je Yi's father, then why would he shot at his own daughter?

If you recall the EP 8, there was a picture placed inside the drawer in Do Jin Wook office, shown 3 of them Do Jin-Sook, Kang Pil-Ho, Baek Mo-Sa (younger version of Je Yi's father) - there must be something happened among these 3.

Baek Mo Sa transferred to North korea or Beijing but secretly working for Do Ji-sook. He could be a double agent. According to Lee In-Hwan, he said Je Yi's father being "sold" to other country as a political trade off, not disappeared. 

My theory is that why he shot his own daughter because he himself used to be an agent or an undercover agent. He knew that all agents must wear body armor while on the field, and he knew that their actions were being monitored closely by Lee's team. No privacy at all.

PS : There is an unknown sender sent old video of ji-hyuk to Ha Dong-Kyun? Who was it ? My guess is Jung Yong-Tae (Lee In-Hwan assistant) :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lebeaucouple said:

PS : There is an unknown sender sent old video of ji-hyuk to Ha Dong-Kyun? Who was it ? My guess is Jung Yong-Tae (Lee In-Hwan assistant) 

Wasn’t it a scheduled email sent by Ji Hyuk himself? You mean the video clip towards the end of the episode telling him who the traitor is, right? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Wasn’t it a scheduled email sent by Ji Hyuk himself? You mean the video clip towards the end of the episode telling him who the traitor is, right? 

My dear chingu, welcome to the club for discussion :D.

Yes...it may be possible a pre-scheduled email sent to Ha Dong-Kyun. But he was trapped or hide himself inside a place, like a cave earlier on? Is there a Wifi or data-enabled inside? :D There may be two possibilities: if the writer chose this route (pre-schedule email) , was meant to distort his memory, made a shocking and unbelievable outcome, or created another startling branch line for tracing......

Let's see :) 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

hello!

ji hyuk's actions still do not make sense to me. why wipe out your memory and then reveal things little by little?

my theory is he is the main boss culprit who now felt guilty, but no one in the org really knew each other so he's hunting down his people without his memory

(and I know this is not romcom, but I really like linwei and ji hyuk together. I like how little we know and should care about linwei and I think she can handle someone as tough as jin hyuk hahaha)

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

A)How did Jeyi know that the group who experimented on the old man with skin disease ( the one she pulled out from the hidden floor) is NOT Sungmuhoe, but another group?

b) the woman who worked at the news told Jeyi that rumors of Suyeon had an affair with one of the higher ups.  Does that mean that both Suyeon and Dir. Kang (? Maybe) both worked in the same company before?  Or was the woman referring to another guy (not Kang) altogether?

C) was Chang the same guy that was Suyeon's boyfriend?   Did he suffer from a trauma that's why he totally assumed his undercover identity?

• Blob 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:07 PM, lebeaucouple said:

My dear chingu, welcome to the club for discussion :D.

Yes...it may be possible a pre-scheduled email sent to Ha Dong-Kyun.

Thanks for the welcome ^_^ I've been reading the posts, just didn't have much to say because I am still confused what's going on, haha...

Actually about that email, I am saying that it is really a scheduled email from JH to HDK. HDK said so himself in the phone call, at around 1:05:xx in ep.8. And previously in ep.7, HDK explained everything to JH, at around 55:xx mark, how JH was the one who made HDK help him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Veil: Episodes 7-8 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Veil0708_1.jpg

With internal pressures mounting, forced transfers, and new risks at every turn, our agent is running out of time to complete his mission. But as his own memories start to push back into his consciousness, a whole new layer of complication is added to the puzzle.

EPISODES 7-8 WEECAP

Soo-yeon has died, and Ji-hyuk is in prison for supposedly being the shooter. He stays there for the first 49 days after her passing, unwilling to speak to anyone, and going into Sarah Connor mode, working out around the clock and trying to piece together the story of Sangmuhoe and the operation that went bad. Everyone theorizes that Ji-hyuk is staying there for a reason, and has a plan.

Although we know Ye-ji wasn’t the one to release the uncorrupted CCTV footage, the NIS gets their hands on it and Ji-hyuk is released. He confronts Ye-ji on her betrayal, but says he doesn’t need to trust her to work with her. The two resume their investigation; Ji-hyuk seems satisfied after tapping her phone and learning her limits when she’s pressed by Director Kang.

The next sad casualty is Chang Chun-woo, who’s brutally tortured and then hung from a billboard. But is he a victim of Sangmuhoe, or something (or someone) else? Ji-hyuk and Ye-ji continue to follow leads, all of which unfold extremely quickly, and almost too easily. They’re led by the messages from an outdated PDA, which is a system that Sangmuhoe seems to use to communicate.

Ye-ji discovers the secret floor of a hospital that seems designed for keeping political prisoners. She’s super brave for someone who hasn’t even been trained to work in the field. In fact, I don’t even know how she’s able to pull off what she does, stealing ID cards, roaming around, sneaking a drugged up patient out of the hospital and into an ambulance.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/the-veil-episodes-7-8-open-thread/

• Like 2

The Veil” Announces 2-Episode Spin-Off Focused On Park Ha Sun’s Character

Oct 13, 2021
by S. Cho

The Veil” will be releasing a special two-episode spin-off!

MBC’s “The Veil” is a blockbuster action drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent who is known as a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk unexpectedly winds up losing his memories in a horrific accident that leaves all his teammates dead. After going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Spoilers

As the drama quickly approaches its finale and the plot reaches its climax, viewers were most recently shocked to see the deaths of Jang Chun Woo (Jung Moon Sung) and Seo Soo Yeon (Park Ha Sun), the latter whom Han Ji Hyuk strongly believed was the traitor.

The spin-off is titled “Möbius: The Veil” and will focus on the backstories of Seo Soo Yeon, Jang Chun Woo, and Do Jin Sook (Jang Young Nam).

Through the stories of former international news reporter and NIS agent Seo Soo Yeon, overseas information bureau agent Jang Chun Woo, and foreign affairs manager Do Jin Sook, viewers will get a closer look at these characters. The spin-off will offer new perspectives and give viewers a deeper understanding of the main series.https://www.soompi.com/article/1493178wpp/the-veil-announces-2-episode-spin-off-focused-on-park-ha-suns-character

• Like 1
  • Love 1