[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] City of Streamer 流光之城

sugarplum892

I just wanna say that I have fallen in love with this drama since episode 1, scene RJS - FSZ dance. Somehow I got some weird tense that made me felt so excited.. Hahahahahaha...

So far I like the ML-FL's scene together, and yes the ML is still young here, he's 20 y.o meanwhile she's 23 y.o, she's 3 years older, and yes his father did something bad with her family business. Indirectly his father was the cause that made her became poor like that. 

Oh yah the conversation between ML and his fiancee, that made me wondering about his real intention towards FL, is it true feeling or obssession to get what impossible?

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:02 AM, maria_m2me said:

I just wanna say that I have fallen in love with this drama since episode 1, scene RJS - FSZ dance. Somehow I got some weird tense that made me felt so excited.. Hahahahahaha...

So far I like the ML-FL's scene together, and yes the ML is still young here, he's 20 y.o meanwhile she's 23 y.o, she's 3 years older, and yes his father did something bad with her family business. Indirectly his father was the cause that made her became poor like that. 

Oh yah the conversation between ML and his fiancee, that made me wondering about his real intention towards FL, is it true feeling or obssession to get what impossible?

Hi @maria_m2me It is great to have someone to discuss this Drama with :P.  It took me a few days to locate this Thread.  A check with Soompi's Directory indicates its Non-Existence.  But when I check Page 2 of the Forum, it is there ??

I like the Film-Sets, Costumes & the Hair-styles of the ladies.   Very pretty and dainty-looking.  Even if the Guys' Fashions may not be entirely accurate for that era.  Which ep are you at now?

Spoiler

All the girls here (except the 2 daughters of Rong Ding Kun) seem to have Ulterior Motives up their sleeves.... and pretty "Bitc.....y" (this software does not accept this "B" Word)

- Rong Jia Shang's (ML) Fiancee, Ms Du Lan Xin. She looks so "old" and behaves like a "Prostitute".  Although she is from a Wealthy Family

- Rong Jia Shang's former flame from Chongqing, Ms Shiori Yashimoto.  She approached RJS for a reason too.

- Rong Ding Kun's niece (from his wife's side), Yu Zhi Hui.  She is so "scheming".  She appeared so Drunk at the Party.  Cannot even stand up straight.  But once she is exposed, she is all so Sober and steady. It is obvious she plans this "Scene" in order to get Rong Ding Kun's Money to solve her Family's Financial woes.  She looks old for her age too. A College-Student.

Feng Shi Zhen (FL) gets herself involved in too many things.  Being Kind is one thing.  But getting yourself involved in the biz of every damsel-in-distress is another thing.  That is the problem with Dramas.  Their Leads are always way Too Kind  to the point of being stupid.

Rong Jia Shang?  I can see and feel.  His Love for Feng Shi Zhen is Genuine.  His acting is getting better.  He is forced by his father to get engaged.  I would like to see how he gets himself dis-engaged.

He is a good Boy.  Thanks heavens.  His father ask him to help out at this Office, where RJS stumbles into some working papers on the Fire which consumes the Family House and properties of FSZ's father.

Meng Xuan: Feng Shi Zhen's "under-ground" boss (as I call him) is not a good person either.   He is hell-bent on Revenge.  But Rong Ding Kun really loves his sister.  Hard to believe that "a few words from him, given here and there..." can cause such a Big Commotion.  He manages to split up RDK and YXC; and created a rift between RDK and the Wang family (his wife's family).

I'm looking forward to the coming episodes.  But alas we have to wait till next Thursday :tears:

I love the Ending Song.  

Somethin' 'bout the vibe of this drama that strongly reminds me of very early productions of HK TVB series which my late mom enjoyed watchin'..

I really like the fl. She's really very elegant. Looks gorgeous in a Qi Pao as well.. she look more mature than the ml but I guess that's understandable since their characters have a 3-4 year age gap. I like the way she carries herself - v.graceful. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Somethin' 'bout the vibe of this drama that strongly reminds me of very early productions of HK TVB series which my late mom enjoyed watchin'..

I really like the fl. She's really very elegant. Looks gorgeous in a Qi Pao as well.. she look more mature than the ml but I guess that's understandable since their characters have a 3-4 year age gap. I like the way she carries herself - v.graceful. 

@Latte_Anyday  Yes.  It is a Drama where even if you don't enjoy the story, you can Feast your Eyes on the Pretty Film Sets, Costumes, Styling  -  and the Dance Scenes.  

But the Plot is not too bad.  Entertaining.

I hope more people will come to enjoy this Drama.

The Dance Scene for Rong Jia Shang's 20th Birthday Party in Episodes 16 and 17,  is very Interesting!   It reminds me of  Jane Austen's "Pride And Prejudice".

Spoiler

It looks Innocent.  But the drama's main characters are all preoccupied with their own personal agenda:

Rong Jia Shang and Feng Shi Zhen:

At first RJS had looked down on FSZ.  But after getting to know her, he has fallen deeply in love with her.  FSZ entered the Rong Family for revenge.  But fell for Rong Jia Sha instead.  But because of her mission, she has to hold back her emotions.

So both of them are happy to dance together. But FSZ tensed up when Rong Jia wants to know why she had invited him to dance at their First Meeting in Meng Xuan's Nightclub.  She was saved when the music cue for the dancers to change partner.

Meng Xuan and Feng Shi Zhen:

Meng Xuan had a smile on his face.  But his words clearly warned Shi Zhen to concentrate on her task.  And not fall for Rong Jia Shang.

Yang Xiu Cheng and Feng Shi Zhen:

Feng Shi Zhen was more relaxed with Yang Xiu Cheng.  But YXC tensed up when FSZ asked him about  Yu Zhi Hui.  YXC loves YZH.  But YZH is still looking for a richer suitor.

Wu Yun Chi and Feng Shi Zhen:

Wu Yun Chi is more of a Playboy.  Feng Shi Zhen is irritated by his words and attitudes.  FSZ responded by stepping on his toes.

Meng Xuan and Yu Zhi Hui:

Meng Xuan is very observant and shrewd.  Earlier, he already noticed YZH's vanity.  So he purposely brought that up.  YZH is immediately affected by his words. Sneaking away to drink, sulk and scheme.

Ep 23 & 24:

Spoiler

1. Feng Shi Zhen is slowly reciprocrating Rong Jia Shang's affections. Beautiful Love Story.

2. RJS is a wonderful boy.  Different from his evil father.  At times I wonder if RDK is his biological father.  

3. I like the way RJS chases after FSZ:

- He is direct.   

- He does not "beat about the bush". 

- Persistent.  He does not give up even when FSZ rejected him repeatedly

4. In the earlier eps, FSZ has been rejecting him because of the Fire which destroyed the Feng Family home and business.  The fire is related to RJS's father.  So RJS got his buddy (whose family is in the Journalism Biz) to publish an article on the Fire and connecting it to Rong Ding Kun.

5. Naturally there was an Uproar about it.  RJS met up with the Victims to offer Financial Compensation in the form of Gold Bars, which were accepted.

6. Next he followed FSZ to a certain town to commemorate the death anniversary of FSZ's biological mother.  The Feng Family found and adopted her when she was 3+ years old.  Her mother and younger brother were killed off by a Bandit.  But there was more to it.

7. She told RJS this story.   RJS offered to help her investigate and  locate her younger brother.  Funny thing is: the Rong's Family and FSZ's Family are from the same Hometown.

My Guesses:

- Could it be that FSZ's father and Rong Ding Kun are Best Buddies?  

- That Feng Shi Zhen's original Surname is "Rong".

- That Rong Ding Kun was from a Poor Family and murdered his Richer Friend, FSZ's father and then assume his Identity?

8) Elsewhere Shiori Yashimoto is scheming to get RJS to marry her. She gave a photo of Ms Du Lan Xin with her adulterer.  Rong Jia Shang now has a good reason to terminate his Engagement with Ms Ding.  And after that he can rightfully  pursue FSZ.  Ep 24 ended with DLX and FJS in his room.  

Looking forward to the coming episodes.... next Thursday.

Has anyone seen episode 26? I laughed out loud when I saw JS and SZ land on their feet - SZ in high heels, no less, after they jumped down from the second storey. Even James Bond would have done a roll or two before standing up. And surely JS did not know at that point in time that SZ is trained as a spy? Didn’t it occur to him that she could injure herself when he pulled her to jump together? Anyway, I think the director and/or editor made a mess of the shoot-out sequence in episode 26. 

Still watching this drama though, for the pretty dresses worn by the females. I really like the Republican era style, same reason I liked the drama, Miss S.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, omiki said:

Has anyone seen episode 26? I laughed out loud when I saw JS and SZ land on their feet - SZ in high heels, no less, after they jumped down from the second storey. Even James Bond would have done a roll or two before standing up. And surely JS did not know at that point in time that SZ is trained as a spy? Didn’t it occur to him that she could injure herself when he pulled her to jump together? Anyway, I think the director and/or editor made a mess of the shoot-out sequence in episode 26. 

Still watching this drama though, for the pretty dresses worn by the females. I really like the Republican era style, same reason I liked the drama, Miss S.

Hi  @omiki  Oh yes. I did.  I was laughing and felt the same way as you. 

This Drama is good:

-  The film set designs, costumes, stylings, cinematography are eye-catching.

-   The Dance Scenes are superb.

-  The Story is touching.

So I don't understand why very few are watching

But the way the Action-Scenes are done can be Ridiculous.  Like this instance you are refering to.  They always falter in "Shootouts" and "Action Scenes"

But otherwise this drama is Addictive.

Eps 29 & 30 are very Romantic.  Keep watching.

Spoiler

It is obvious now that:

1) Shi Zhen is Rong Ding Kun's biological daughter

2) While the ML Rong Jia Sha is not RDK's son

But right now, RJS thought that they both are blood-related sibblings.  So he is devastated.  He thought they have commited Incest. I hope he finds out soon that they are not.  Poor boy.  He loves FSZ so much.

They consumated their Love in Ep 29.  The Director made a mistake.  They proceeded to bed without closing their hotel room door

• Like 2

@hush puppy I agree with you on the story which is quite interesting so far. 
In terms of your assumptions in hidden content please see below what I have read from the novel.

Spoiler

Feng Shi Zhen’s biological father (the real Rong Ding Kun) was killed by the now Rong Ding Kun and so was her mother. The ML Rong Jia Shang is the son enemy of the Rong Ding Kun who stole her father identity and whom look alike to her father. The fake Rong Ding Kun killed her mother to destroy all evidence. The fake Rong Ding Ken’s hand man Zhong Huan was ordered by him to kill Feng Shi Zhen. Her father Feng Shi Zhen came from a well off business family and decided to go Shanghai to do business. He had a good relationship with her mother. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Thuc Duyen said:

@hush puppy I agree with you on the story which is quite interesting so far. 
In terms of your assumptions in hidden content please see below what I have read from the novel.

Reveal hidden contents

Feng Shi Zhen’s biological father (the real Rong Ding Kun) was killed by the now Rong Ding Kun and so was her mother. The ML Rong Jia Shang is the son enemy of the Rong Ding Kun who stole her father identity and whom look alike to her father. The fake Rong Ding Kun killed her mother to destroy all evidence. The fake Rong Ding Ken’s hand man Zhong Huan was ordered by him to kill Feng Shi Zhen. Her father Feng Shi Zhen came from a well off business family and decided to go Shanghai to do business. He had a good relationship with her mother. 

Hi @Thuc Duyen It's good to see you again! :wub:   Thanks for the info.  I got it right in an earlier post.  But forgot about it here.:lol:  Bcos FSZ seems to remember it wrongly - to run us "off-track" I guess.  Her vague memories saw her bio-father trying to kill her.  When in fact, it should be the Fake Rong Ding Kun.

I don't read Fictional Novels.  Preferring Non-Fictions.  So I don't know as much as you. :P

Which ep are you on already?  Now we have to wait till Thursday, Feb 17 :tears:

@hush puppyYou’re right, FSZ’s memory appears to be blurred as she was too you to remember. I think from the trailers for next episodes she is going to meet with her aunt (mum’s sister) and she will shed some light to her memory. I’m on Ep30 and I must say that I thoroughly enjoy the story and the acting, the beautiful outfits, the music. Thursday can’t come soon enough. As a side note, I really enjoy your comments and assumptions they are very accurate.

• Love 1

@Thuc Duyen  Towards the end of Ep 30, RJS was shown a tattered family photo of FSZ's family by his aide.  Seems FSZ's bio-father and the Fake RDK looks alike. (Am I correct?)  That was what made RJS thought that he and FSZ are blood-related.   

On the other hand, FSZ could not remember how her father looks now. That is a blessings in disguise.  Otherwise she would have recognised RDK when they first met.  And would not have fallen in love with RJS.  This drama would have to take us through more unnecessary angst.  At least for now, only RJS is suffering from the misunderstandings.  While FSZ is not.

But FSZ's memories are not wrong either.  Because both men are like Twins.  So it needs greater efforts to know who is who.  Much more for a 3 years' old child.  It was the "Fake Rong Ding Kun" who tried to kill her.  Not her father.  Fake RDK had slaughtered FSZ's entire family.  While she escaped Death when she fell into the River.

Ah! It is quite confusing for us too isn't it?  Rong Ding Kun and the Fake Rong Ding Kun :lol:

@hush puppyplease see my comments below:

Spoiler

@hush puppyYes, the photo showed FSZ’s family and her father and the fake RDK look very alike even in the bone structure. When FSZ met with her aunt which she did not recognise of course but her aunt recognise FSZ straight away given that she looks very much like her mum. Her aunt confirmed it by the mole or something similar behind her hair. She also told FSZ about the longevity lock which FSZ & her brother both had when they were young. If you recall in the ep30, FSZ did mention to RJS about the longevity lock. She then told FSZ that her parents really loved each other’s and so FSZ has deducted that her dad could not have killed her mother as she initially thought because her dad and the fake RDK’s resemblance. She also said to FSZ a business partner of her dad owed him some money. 

Spoiler

@hush puppy

Spoiler

If you recall in previous episodes that RDK bought the land at Wanchouli where FSZ used to live and got burned down. With the help of Meng Xuan, she has found out the reason why and it was the land where the fake RDK’s ancestors lived and died. The fake RDK was raised by his mum alone and came from a very poor background as compared to the wealthy family of FSZ’s father based on the novel.

• Thanks 1

@hush puppy

Thank you for posting  these videos, much appreciated. Which episodes are you on now? I’ve enjoyed the last episode 34. I cannot wait for tomorrow new episodes. I cannot believe that we are nearing the end of episode 40. I am still awaiting for another show during the republic era to be released, called Love in the flames of war. I’m not quite sure when this drama will air.

5 hours ago, Thuc Duyen said:

@hush puppy

Thank you for posting  these videos, much appreciated. Which episodes are you on now? I’ve enjoyed the last episode 34. I cannot wait for tomorrow new episodes. I cannot believe that we are nearing the end of episode 40. I am still awaiting for another show during the republic era to be released, called Love in the flames of war. I’m not quite sure when this drama will air.

Hi @Thuc Duyen, I'm up to Ep 34.  I've a few grouses:

- I find that Eps 31 - 34 are a bit slow and lack "punch". True - they've to unveil a lot of Qin Shu Gen's dark secrets.  But a Good Director should be able to accomplish all these in an stimulating manner.

- FSZ may be devastatedd to discover the Truth about his parents' demise, especially the Corpse of his father in the Wall.  But she does not have to behave like she is a pampered Princess of Meng Xuan. That is so Unrealistic.  Grateful - yes.  

I understand the Director wants to show us the jealousy of Rong Jia Shang.  But this is not the correct way to do it. 

So, I'm disappointed with these past few episodes.

Love In The Flame Of War:

We both seem to enjoy the same genre of Dramas:lol:.  Yes, do keep me informed.  I'll definitely check out "Love In The Flame Of War" when it premiers.  Even the "Title" sounds interesting.

I notice it stars Shawn Dou as the ML. I do like his acting.  FL - Chen Du Ling looks different in the Poster. :)

:heart:

@hush puppyi agree with your assessment of the last few episodes. I have started to some respect lost interest due to the slowness of these episodes. It is a bit a shame. True that FSZ has started to become a bit cold & a bit childish towards RJS. Whilst she has every reason to despise  the fake RDK, she does not even realise that RJS is as much a victim as her. That is where I have found that she has lost her intelligence to make the difference.

As for the Love in the flames of war, yes I love Shawn Dou, the FL looks also good. I have just finished reading the novel which the drama will be based on so I hope the show will air soon.

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] City of Streamer 流光之城