Quantcast

@ktcjdrama regarding post with official website as main introduction of the drama

"Half of the land is women, half is men."

Those stats are true in most places around the world. Except where I live. There are more females than males. Guys can be picky or have more than one girlfriend. The rest of us have to move where the odds are better.

How do individual humans find and make happiness? The story begins again as soon as you think it's all over.

It all depends on what that means. Does it mean that when the love is over in their marriage it's all over. Or does it mean that after a while when they look back at what they lost (their loving wife) that it's all over.

• Like 6
  • Blob 5
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually from my male point of view, most of you here have been too hard on the women (except the 50s lady that nobody blames) - not the other way.  To me, all three men have been bad guys to various

To be honest, many of us were disappointed not to see Sung Hoon abs. Maybe she was disappointed too

I feel like it's a red-herring with the 40s husband. Sure, he has some serious mommy issues but I don't think he's cheating nor is he gonna cheat. I think he's being taken advantage of by his step-mom

As of today's episode - which was mostly a bore. I think I've had my fill and can already predict the future episodes, so I'mma take a break from this and come back at 15/16. Pretty much next to none progress made today. It was practically a part 2 of yesterday's like they ran outta time?

The only thing that kept me here was:

1) Which mystery tea time lady are these husbands facking? The suspense ended + We pretty much got the general story at 9.

I don't think need to see more of the husbands' developing affairs become the focus of the drama. *Gives stank-eye to ep 11 preview*

After the doc's *cringe* "oppa"/hug, I don't see any purpose of getting more ami/doc focused screentime. Similar wrap-up with the lawyer and prof (minus their romances didn't take 1 day to grow). I feel it would've been better if they just implied it as 'and this is how it began'. I'd also like it if the husbands just joined the ladies in their background tea time and we get back to the real story. 

Are they trying to go for a first half is the wives' story/ second half is husbands'? If so, the first half isn't done since one wife doesn't even know shet. 

Also I don't get why we're getting so many flashback scenes of stepmother's seductive attempts and her story in 9/10. She wasn't really part of the affair with doc at that time. (and still isn't)

We get to see so much of her perspective so shouldn't her status be much higher than the tea time mistresses but lower than the wives? She also gets more screen-time/story than the 30s in-laws.

Heck, I feel like the producers did her dirty excluding her from all those promo material + posters with the couple of 9. :w00t:

2) Are they going to show us how all 3 wives deal with knowing the affair? Which they haven't. Judging from how inconsistent the flow is, I don't expect much from the next 5. Only 2 of the wives know about their husbands' affairs and they've known since ep 3~6 - yet they haven't done much but mourn their marriage.

So are they going to make Piyoung find out at ep 15 or smth?

I came here thinking this was about how the wives deal with the broken marriages - and I ain't getting any of that. 

To summarize what I've been watching these past months, I'd say: husbands cheat, sad wives to sad to do anything about it, happy mistresses at happy hour, and overly-stepmotherly love. Did we hit climax yet? 

If we didn't, don't you dare think about a season 2 writer-nim. :crazy:

I'll brb & grab some coffee, see you back at 16-ish. (while periodically lurking in the thread)

Mad Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 7

@tofumochu  I ditto that. I've been commenting a lot without having to watch ep9 and 10.

The only other reveal I am waiting for is when the wives find out who the mistresses are. What will they do? Will they  expose them publicly? And which wife will do the most damage to their husband?

I think the one that's going to go for the kill, meaning outright exposing and shaming the mistress will be 50's wife. 

• Like 8
  • Blob 3
1 hour ago, tofumochu said:

Also I don't get why we're getting so many flashback scenes of stepmother's seductive attempts and her story in 9/10. She wasn't really part of the affair with doc at that time. (and still isn't)

We get to see so much of her perspective so shouldn't her status be much higher than the tea time mistresses but lower than the wives? She also gets more screen-time/story than the 30s in-laws.

Heck, I feel like the producers did her dirty excluding her from all those promo material + posters with the couple of 9.

Surprisingly, most of the Korean comments that I saw are celebrating to see her in this drama. She (the actress) is well loved by the audience. 

1 hour ago, tofumochu said:

2) Are they going to show us how all 3 wives deal with knowing the affair? Which they haven't. Judging from how inconsistent the flow is, I don't expect much from the next 5. Only 2 of the wives know about their husbands' affairs and they've known since ep 3~6 - yet they haven't done much but mourn their marriage.

So are they going to make Piyoung find out at ep 15 or smth?

I came here thinking this was about how the wives deal with the broken marriages - and I ain't getting any of that.

My guess is after the flashback (which I hope ends early in ep.11), we will soon see PiYoung lashing out big time. Because so far only the after effect of her marriage crisis that has not been presented to us. I am guessing it’s gonna be major because of the back history of her parents’ marriage. Not to mention there’s a stepmom who is eyeing her husband as well. So she has to deal with two extramarital affairs while her friends only dealing with one. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 5
10 hours ago, joccu said:

@backstreetboysfan I also hope we don't get 2 season 

1 hour ago, roli said:

Yes to all this ideas

I also hope there is not 2nd season.

But the idea of the writer and producers was for one: I just hope is pay time for this 3 husbands, that wives live a better and improve life, and that this trio of garbage men suffer the result of their actions. 

Yeah, it is just a bad idea all around eh.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 4
6 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

@tofumochu  I ditto that. I've been commenting a lot without having to watch ep9 and 10.

The only other reveal we are waiting for is when the wives find out who the mistresses are. What will they do? Will they  expose them publicly? And which wife will do the most damage to their husband?

I think the one that's going to go for the kill, meaning outright exposing and shaming the mistress will be 50's wife. 

That would be perfect! She should take the car before getting him fired. Maybe daughter will do the exposing. 

• Like 8
  • Blob 3

Having watched the latest episode, we get to look more into how these dudes got to meet the mistresses. From what I see, the 30s and 50s husbands did have a rather normal first interaction compared to the 40s guy. The most normal one was for 50s guy, who met with Nam Ga Bin mainly for the work, and to me, their talk was rather normal and so was the overall interaction for now. As for the 30s dude and the whole "falling for the butt" thing, well, although inappropriate, this drama is based on an adult theme, not a rom-com where the ML gets attracted to the FL by looking at the face, her flying hair or something else involving just the face. At the same time, falling for someone and getting attracted to someone are totally different things. So while the "so-called man child a.k.a mommy boy" got attracted to his future mistress like this, we have already seen the 30s wife already having a thing, which mainly is attraction toward the Shady PD Dude. So again, getting attracted is different from falling in love. 

I am not too sure how long the 30s couple dated before marrying, but both are not at all match for each other. While we can blame the so called mommy boy for it all, but as I said, there are things you don't see when you are dating, since the love for your partner masks it or your partner has been hiding it. We do see her friends ask her whether she has shown her real side to him, which means well, that is a side which she does not reveal easily. We can call the husband whatever we want, and say there is no evidence for him being abused or looked down, mistreated and controlled, but there is no scene showing otherwise too. As for him being controlled, we have seen him being forced to go to gym, controlling his eating, and I can see if the mom had not insisted, he would have eaten half bowl of rice (mommy boy alert). Just like @Samuel Yohanes pointed out, after being controlled to some extent, one starts getting tired of his life. We can blame this dude for marrying her knowing how she is, and I say again, it is not always the case, since they got under the roof after marriage. 

So while not really defending his affair here, since even I believe if he was not feeling right in the marriage he should have gone with the divorce, but he is not the only one for their marriage to go down, the wife has had a fair enough share in it. Now we can say she is a strong woman, or whatever we want, but her actions had a big role in this. I am not saying she had to cook, do the household works for him etc., but should have not controlled everything about her husband. I am still don't know why they didn't hire a house helper though. 

As for the 50s dude we'll see more of how he fell for Nam Ga Bin, but for now as I said it was a rather normal conversation between them. What was between her and the Shady PD Dude is something I am curious too about. Were they past lovers, or there is something more to it. 

Regarding the 40s guy, we already feel that this is not this dude's first time seeing how smooth he is in the conversations, and lies so well. He does not even bat an eye while lying and does so with straight face. A-Mi has been testing waters and in my eyes, he has been responding to it all, and maybe in return he has been doing the same. The same looks to be the case between him and his stepmom. Whenever there is a scene with that evil woman, I just FF as much as I can. Coming back to the guy and his mistress, for now as I said, his marriage does not seem to be have problem. They have a huge communication problem, pretending to some point, but we don't see any big problem here, and so as I said, I don't even feel this is his first time cheating. 

Regarding the 50s couple's problem, not sure if others have noticed, but we have seen the husband continuously telling "I will do better" when he was gifted the car and later on when he had talk with his wife. While this may seem an insignificant thing, but there is where the pressure starts building on the person saying it. We might hear and brush it off, but the person saying it, feels it. "I was gifted something I didn't deserve, I must do better", "She sacrificed everything for me, I must do better" and sometimes, in this "I must do better" the pressure overpowers the feelings one has for the other person. It then becomes obligation for them to stay with them and forget that there was love involved. We saw it happen in "Secret" where the FL almost did the same and the 2nd ML remained with her, just because he felt obligated to for her sacrifices. Now here, there is no problem with the 50s wife, as she is quite devoted to him and the family and still loves him. Its just that the husband has been in the receiving end for so long that now he sees it as his duty to do better just because of that. We can say of course it is his duty, but I beg to differ here. If his love, taking care of the family and such things become duty, the feelings involved start to diminish, and such feelings if get channelized to someone else who makes him feel free, then we see what happened here, the affair. This dude had to channelize his feelings well, and at the same if he felt pressure, he should have spoken to his wife for it, or even to some other friend. These things if discussed with someone, get better. Again, this does not justify his cheating, but does show how he  started drifting from a family and who cared and loved him so much. 

For now, as @partyon Noona said, even for me, the only person I have sympathy for and interested in is the 50s wife. 

As for the second season, I think we all can agree that we rather see this drama end in 16 episodes than we get 16 more episodes of it, but seeing the pace of it, I think we all have sensed that there will most probably be a second season. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4

will catch up with this week's episodes in a few days but based on the comments, looks like a bit of a snooze fest. hahahahah...

anyway, join us for the soompi potluck event! :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

I have two daughter's in laws. And both of them have made my sons successful in their life. They eat well balanced meals. Exercise everyday, bike, hike, spend time with their family. Pushed my sons when they were weak and wanted to give up. One is a doctor, the other runs a successful coffee shop. There is a slogan, behind every successful man there is a woman. Women are important in a mans life. And vis a versa, men too are important in a woman's life.

In that drama Oh My Venus, the FL a lawyer let herself go. Overweight which complicated her health. ML got her in shape. Later, he noticed she was starting to get her old habits back of not caring about herself and he got  on her again about taking care of herself. At first she lost weight to get revenge; later it was about her not anyone else.

Oh My Venus | 오 마이 비너스 [Trailer - ver.2] - YouTube

[Kbs world] 오 마이 비너스 - 신민아, 소지섭 손잡았다 ‘다이어트 돌입’. 20151124 - YouTube

Edited by brooksmom
have more to add
  • Like 9
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

Gosh another season is coming i think. all those marriages have no future with such husbands. Even i am sad for 30s husband's mom. Old geezer is thinking about his first love which is vicious fake woman. Rubing of his money on her face all the time, the wife had 4 children and cared for family of 8. Only last 21 years they had help means she worked her RickRoll'D off till 40 or over. With her dedication, husband must have worked and reached to a success without worrying about household as well as asian wives mostly stay at home to support their husband. Mostly husband doesnt cook, clean or know where are his socks.  

Well about divorce , we think people usually fall in love sincerely for the first spouse and try their hardest effort for the first life they built ever. so asians are rather clingy over first divorce. Also most of people divorced would say they should have tried harder because it is hard to build new life again when you are divorced with kids. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 6
On 2/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, Madu Mita said:

I think the show is setting up Haeryung and that Engineer?

There can only be a sexual thing between them as far as I'm concerned.... the attraction is a one sided thing with her. He is totally unbothered about her, not even interested in visiting her at hospital until he was forced to. Plus he's too cold... She probably needs her sexual cobwebs cleared and I can see him with his manliness giving her a good scrubbing down:P tihihihi! He could have been a more multidimensional character who is unlike her husband ie, not afraid of her and doesn't tolerate her nonsense and I'd be "kinda" rooting for them... But as it stands, he's a rock, and his only use is sexual:D

As for the discussion on violence.... I appreciate that 30s girl is wounded by the affair, who wouldn't be! But laying hands on the guy and planning to pour water on him in his sleep and all the other beatings is a no-no. The pain of the betrayal doesn't justify any level of violence even if she just pinched him. I asked myself, what would I do if a man hit me the way she did? I'd pack up and leave IMMEDIATELY!! end of discussion! I wouldn't wait for to find out how far he goes or whether he is repentant. Most important is my security. I'd be terrified if that happened to me.

I don't think she hit him in the past as her violence is obviously from the betrayal. However, Violence is violence. End of story.

I'm enjoying the show either way... I think there's more depth to this drama than I expected from the writer and that's partly why I'm sticking around. The only complaint I have is that there's too much dialogue. It's slightly robotic.... Man, they keep going on and on!! This drama doesn't use background music used in other dramas to pass time and convey emotions without loooooonnngggggg, acres of dialogue. I wouldn't want to cram all those lines!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 5

In my mind 40s husband is a predator. He has like Super Saiya level skill at spotting and taking advantage. No matter how, I don't see this couple reconciling if hubby's shady life came to light.

30s couple is also better off divorced. 30s husband is not mature enough to handle relation or marriage. maybe children too. He fell in love with wife because she looked cool drumming. He's attracted to the first tush he saw at gym - after saying he doesn't mind if the wife pigs out. I mean if his wife were to do that same move, would he still be salivating at foreign tush? People call him mommy's boy or man-child not because he is scared by the wife, but because of his immaturity at managing his issues.

30s wife has fault too. She is selfish. Want your husband to work out? Why not do it together? The husband isn't even overweight, why so controlling at his diet? And what's with this obsession the sound engineer when you have a man beside u in bed?

Anyhow, 30s husband has a problem about managing expectations,.Husband was raised in a traditional upbringing - his mother is the traditional mom who does everything for the dad. I guess a part of him expects his wife to treat him how his mom treats his dad. Meanwhile, wife has a problem about accommodating. She is independent and like things going her way. Upbringing will play a role in their clash.

Too early to comment about 50s husband and actress. In the first meeting, I thought they we being friendly. What happened to cause romantic development? But I honestly see this couple to clash for sure. Girl has ambitions, guy will pull her down. I think at the end, 50s guy is likely the one to be the most remorseful. He will likely reconcile and be accepted back in the family. Though I hope they won't because 50s wife deserve better.

40s couple doesn't do it for me. Their words are so cheesy and the actors' delivery does not feel natural. They are super polite, even to the kid. Ever her nagging is so polite.

The most natural couple is the bickering parents. They are pretty much the "perfect couple" among all of them here. You can feel feel that their marriage survived all "feels" there is - happiness, sadness, jealousy, anger, foolishness, humour etc.

While sound engineer does baffle me, rather than being intrigued by him, I'm simply wondering his purpose. Women seem to have some interest in him. But he seemed like a bore. I do think he looks a bit like Kim Rae Won though... Not familiar with this actor's work.

Another indirect link between the couples is the doctor, but he is like the opposite of sound engineer. Doctor is warm and seems like cheerful guy. Please please don't make him an adulterer too!

• Like 7
  • Blob 5

Is 50's wife really married to the right guy, meaning, is the professor the man she married years ago. I hear from some comments that he might not be. Are we going to see a story come up later in future episodes.

I'm a forced retirement gramma, if that counts for my opinions here. I have the hard knocks of life under my belt. 

None of these men were in love with their wives in the first place. Lust maybe, infatuation maybe, but not truly in love. Oh you men in this drama, cry me a river, play me the violins when you explain your side of the story. :bawling: Did you cheat? Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Nothing else.

@jayakris You may have heard that American wives don't nag their husbands. They do. I think finances is the number one reason for divorce in US, ahead of cheating. Paying the bills starts a lot of fights. Both work. No extended family to help with the children. It's a dog eat dog world everywhere.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1
10 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Regarding the 50s couple's problem, not sure if others have noticed, but we have seen the husband continuously telling "I will do better" when he was gifted the car and later on when he had talk with his wife. While this may seem an insignificant thing, but there is where the pressure starts building on the person saying it. We might hear and brush it off, but the person saying it, feels it. "I was gifted something I didn't deserve, I must do better", "She sacrificed everything for me, I must do better" and sometimes, in this "I must do better" the pressure overpowers the feelings one has for the other person. It then becomes obligation for them to stay with them and forget that there was love involved. We saw it happen in "Secret" where the FL almost did the same and the 2nd ML remained with her, just because he felt obligated to for her sacrifices. Now here, there is no problem with the 50s wife, as she is quite devoted to him and the family and still loves him. Its just that the husband has been in the receiving end for so long that now he sees it as his duty to do better just because of that.

You bring up an excellent point here, about the professor feeling guilty and saying "I'll do better" all the time.

When the society puts so much of expectations on men as the "bread-winner" of the family, it is indeed quite stressful for those in professions like academia in places like Korea.  I am a professor in the US and was once a visiting professor for 3 months in Korea too. Though the US academicians do not make a ton of money, nobody here talks about financial pressures.  I saw Korean professors talk about house mortgages, and wives who would murmur if their promotions are delayed - things I never hear from my colleagues (who never mention their wives, in the US!).  The same thing applies to my married PhD students from Korea.  If their conference travel reimbursement is delayed, they immediately mention "my wife was asking".  I never once in 30 years heard a married American student do that.  But then again, the Korean PhD student is typically 3-4 years older due to military service, and by the time they finish a PhD, they are old enough but still having to rely on parents (or wives' parents) to some extent.  The stress from that period doesn't leave them easily.  Spending 4 years on a PhD after marriage is tough.  The expectations from the society can be overwhelming, and they can't really accelerate their earnings in a profession that isn't meant to be for money-making either.

So, I see your point that the professor is constantly feeling that his wife has done so much more than he was "supposed to do".  I am sure she is not making a whole lot more money or anything, but even without her complaining, he seems to be under pressure and feels guilty.   So I guess I could conjure up some sympathy for the guy...

... But none of that explains his wanting to abandon his loving family and run after a pretty face.  That is unconscionable and it only makes him a total jerk.  A jerk under societal pressure, maybe, but a detestable jerk nonetheless!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4
  • Blob 3
7 hours ago, tofumochu said:

The only thing that kept me here was:

1) Which mystery tea time lady are these husbands facking?

Same with me, as soon as it was revealed. I lost interest in the drama @tofumochu

The 30’s wife is TOO CONTROLLING. SHE TRIED TO PUT HER HUBBY ON A DIET WHEN HE DID NOT NEED IT. If he was overweight, I would understand but she pushed her husband away while she tried to control every aspect of his life. 
 That 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886k97y0ss7809szqrcki

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 3
51 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

The 30’s wife is TOO CONTROLLING. SHE TRIED TO PUT HER HUBBY ON A DIET WHEN HE DID NOT NEED IT. If he was overweight, I would understand but she pushed her husband away while she tried to control every aspect of his life. 

To be honest, many of us were disappointed not to see Sung Hoon abs. Maybe she was disappointed too :)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 15

I like the 30s Wife and I don't like the 40s and 50s.

The 50s wife was a a maid to her husband and the 40s just wants to be loved and she knows that her husband won't leave her even if he cheats.

• Like 5
  • Blob 4
5 hours ago, jayakris said:

... But none of that explains his wanting to abandon his loving family and run after a pretty face.  That is unconscionable and it only makes him a total jerk.  A jerk under societal pressure, maybe, but a detestable jerk nonetheless!

You see Chingu, affair is a choice and at the same symptom that the marriage or relationship is not working. Now this could be for one individual or both. Again, having problems in relationships, or they not working does not mean everyone can and should cheat on their partner, that's why I said, the affair is a choice, no one just goes for it while not wanting it (except for the 40s dude, by the looks of it at least). What I am focusing on is the problems men had in their marriages, no matter how insignificant it seemed to be from a woman's POV, but for them it caused them to drift away from their partner, and cracks to appear in their married life.

At the same time, the problem is not always because of the partner, like in 50s couple's case, the wife is too devoted to her family and her husband. But the fact that he has been on the receiving end since like his college days, makes him feel miserable, again, he does not look down on his wife for it, and it is one of the reasons, he does not feel that good with his affairs and we saw him struggle. Since again, he has felt it as an obligation to do better work as the man of the family, since his wife has done so much for him and he feels if he leaves her, he is not betraying her love, but all the years she spent on him. Of course he does choose to leave, but these are the reasons he struggles that much. He cannot deny anything she has done for him, at the same time as he claims, he has been suppressing his dreams for so long. When a person struggles like this, it opens the room for them to go off track, and happened in this case. If this guy had told his family about his dreams, they would totally support it, but he just felt guilty to be always on the receiving end that he felt he does not deserve it. 

In 30s couple, no matter what the intentions of the wife is and how weak, immature our so-called mommy boy is, for him, she was not leaving a room to breathe. He already started feeling frustrated in the 3rd year of their marriage, and well, she did control him to great extent. He cannot eat well, not because she does not cook, but she is controlling how much he eats too, and well, while she might be doing it for him, her approach is totally wrong here. When he was feeling suffocated like that, he found a woman in gym with whom he could be comfortable with. As I said, him getting attracted to her physical appearance is far from him falling for her. Remember, the flashbacks are 10 months old, and though he got attracted to her, I think we'll see more of their interaction in the next episodes, where we might see him feeling more comfortable and be more like he is around her, and not on his guard around his wife. Since he was feeling suffocated, frustrated, when he found a woman with whom he could be freer, he went into the affair. Again, doing that was his choice, but the reason he did was partially because things were hard in his married life being constantly under pressure and controlled like that. Now again, we can blame him for it all, letting it happen to him, calling him a man child not trying to stand for himself, immature guy who fell for hips, or whatever. Things were hard that led him that way. 

What these guys did were wrong, the had to try to solve the problems they had, had to talk to their partners, and their marriage could be saved. But their affairs show that the marriage was not working, at least from their side in case of 50s dude and somewhat from the wife's side in case of the 30s dude. Still does that does not justify their affairs.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 1