Halloween - Evil Oppas, Unnis and Mother-in-Laws in K-dramas

partyon

Halloween: Evil Characters in K-dramas  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which oppa is best at playing evil characters? (Choose up to 4)

• Choi Won Young – I Remember You (Hello Monster), Dr. Prisoner
    • Lee Kyu Han – Graceful Family, My Name is Kim Sam Soon
    • Yeon Jeong-Hun – Mask, East of Eden
    • Shin Sung Rok – The Last Empress, You Who Came From The Stars, Liar Game
    • Bae Soo Bin – Secret (Love), Graceful Friends
    • Go Joon – Misty, Fiery Priest
    • Park Sung Hoon – Mad Dog, Psychopath Diary
    • Heo Sung Tae – Cross, Your Honor
    • Namgoong Min – Remember: War of the Son, The Girl Who Sees Smell
    • Lim Ju Hwan – The Game Towards Zero, Shine or Go Crazy
    • Park Hae Joon – World of Married, Dr. Stranger
    • Lee Sang Yoon – VIP, On The Way To Airport
    • Jang Mi Kwan – Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
    • Lee Ji Hoon – Legend of Blue Sea, Dinner Mate
    • Hong Jong Hyun – Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
    • Kim Jae Wook – Voice 1
    • Park Hoon – Nobody Knows, Memories of Alhambra
    • Kim Ji Hoon – Flower of Evil, Sweet Stranger and Me
    • Park Ki Woong – Return, Bridal Mask
    • Jung Woong In - Empress Ki, Switch (+ all other dramas he is in - lol)
  2. 2. Which unni/noona is awesome at portraying evil characters? (Choose up to 4)

• Yoo In Young – Mask, Goodbye Mr. Black
    • Kim Min Seo – Babyfaced Beauty, Moon Embracing The Sun
    • Park Joon Geum – Emergency Couple, Secret Garden, Heirs
    • Baek Jin Hee - Empress Ki
    • Lim Ju Eun – Lies of Lies, Uncontrollably Fond, Empress Ki
    • Lee Elijah – The Last Empress, Fight My Way
    • Lee Hye Young – Boys Over Flowers, Lawless Lawyer
    • Kim Min Jung – My Fellow Citizens
    • Kang Han Na – Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Familiar Wife
    • Lee Da Hee – Secret (Love), Queen of Mystery 2
    • Park Si Yeon – The Innocent Man
    • Bae Jong Ok – Graceful Family
    • Kim Seo Hyung – SKY Castle, Empress Ki
    • Seo Yi Sook – Empress Ki, Hotel del Luna
    • Shin Eun Kyung – The Last Empress, Flames of Desire
    • Wang Ji Hye - Personal Taste, Oh My Baby
    • Lee Ji Ah - Ghost Detective
    • Choi Myung Gil - Mother of Mine, Men Are Men
    • Yoon Se Ah - The Good WItch
  3. 3. Who is the most evil mother / mother-in-law? (choose up to 4)

• The Last Empress - Empress Dowager Kang (Shin Eun Kyung)
    • Secret Garden - Moon Boon Hong (Park Joon Geum)
    • Marriage Not Dating - Shin Bong Hyang (Kim Hae Sook)
    • Something in the Rain - Kim Mi-Yeon (Gil Hae Yeon)
    • Boys Over Flowers - Kang Hee Soo (Lee Hye Young)
    • Heirs - Ji Sook (Park Joon Geum)
    • It's Okay Not To Be Okay - the mother (anonymous to avoid spoilers)
    • Graceful Family - Ha Young Seo (Moon Hee Kyung)
    • Emergency Couple - Yoon Sung Sook (Park Jun Geum)
    • Shining Inheritance/Brilliant Legacy - Baek Sung Hee (Kim Mi Sook)
    • Something Happened in Bali - Jae Min's mom (Kim Su Mi)
    • Flames of Desire - Yun Na Young (Shin Eun Kyung)
    • Lies of Lies - Kim Ho Ran (Lee Il Hwa)
    • Can You Hear My Heart - Tae Hyun Sook (Lee Hye Young)
    • Pinocchio - Park Ro Sa (Kim Hae Sook)
    • Stairway to Heaven - Tae Mi Ra (Lee Whee Hyang)
    • Shady Mom-in-Law - Wang Soo Jin (Kim Hye Sun)
    • Goddess of Marriage - Lee Jung Sook (Yoon So Jung)
    • Bel Ami - Na Hong Ran (Kim Bo Yeon)
    • Have any of you met MY mother-in-law? lol

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/2020 at 08:00 PM

11 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Unluckily my choices are not in the list, so I vote for

1. Zin tae Hyun in left handed wife and Choi Sung-jae in A place in the sun (evil oppas)
  2. I think the worst female villains are Yura in A man under a veil, the second female lead in My perfect life, the second female lead in Sunny again tomorrow, 
  3. Evil mother in law, all of the mothers in dailies lol, examples are Home for summer, A man under a veil, sunny again tomorrow, My only one, Love is wonderful life is beautiful, I lost count

Oh no.... Sorry that none of your choices were on the list.... :bawling:

I can add one unni/noona in the poll (we still have 1 more slot available). Which one do you want to include? :heartxoxo:

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

As for female characters, I actually think I prefer the female leads who end up turning dark (e.g. Kim Tae Hee as Han Yeo Jin in Yong Pal) rather than straight-up villains. Maybe it's because, as a girl myself, those characters feel more real.

ooh, i just thought of another drama which fits this description and is a short one. first half was really great. second half was okay. but altogether not a bad drama. just watch her expression at 2.00. cold as ice and wrecking his wedding! oooh!

1 hour ago, croquembouche2018 said:

@sadthe1st ITA with you about Yoon Se Ah in The Good Witch. That old drama may be a bit cliché, cheesy and makjang-ish (IMO). But Yoon Se Ah really slays in this drama. Oh Tae Ri is one of the most savage villainess unni I've ever watched in Kdrama-land. Her acting is so convincing sometimes I find myself literally wanting to strangle Oh Tae Ri

that drama was both hilarious and scary. reading about the nut rage heir made me wonder how yoon se ah was embodying a real bad tempered person. but we had so much fun laughing on that thread. such good memories! :D

1 hour ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Evil mother in law, all of the mothers in dailies lol, examples are Home for summer, A man under a veil, sunny again tomorrow, My only one, Love is wonderful life is beautiful, I lost count

bwahahaha.. where would a daily be without an evil mother-in-law? :joy: must say these actors playing villains in the daily dramas seem to be having a ball acting out the madness.

3 hours ago, partyon said:

I've only watched one sageuk so far, and it was Empress Ki. I thought it was normal for sageuks to have such a large number of villains in it, but seems Empress Ki takes the cake. 

We had Tanashiri, El Temür, cockroach Yeom, Talahai, Tangqishi, Wang Goo, the second empress, the empress dowager, the two court ladies, and a lot of secondary characters. There were only a handful of good people in the drama, now that I think about it.

Awesome, you're ready for Chinese historical/costume drama! Hahaha!

:approves:

To be honest, it's mind-boggling the extent of a person's audacity to further their causes. Who will they betray. History is riddled of it. Scriptures are full of it.

10 hours ago, partyon said:

@croquembouche2018 chingu, great choices! 

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who voted for the mom in Something Happened in Bali! :D That woman was really vile towards the FL.

My number one vote for the meanest mother / MIL would go for the ML's mom in Bel Ami (Pretty Boy). It wasn't that she was mean towards the FL (played by IU) and viciously tried to protect her own son from his love interest....

She was the meanest and coldest mom to her own son (played by Jang Geun Suk).... The way she treated him when he was trying to find her and once he discovered she was his mother, was unusually cold and vile.

I cried so much in some of the scenes. :tears: To be rejected by your own mother like that. 

Therefore, even though it wasn't the most popular drama of all time, I had to include this evil mother in the poll...

IKR? Jae Min's mother is one of the most underrated evil mothers out there. 

I haven't watched Bel Ami but after having read your recap I'll definitely put it in my waiting list.

Sometimes it's more heartbreaking to watch a drama where a mother being cruel to her own flesh and blood than watching the mother in laws' evilness.

That's why I also vote for Choi Myung Gil in Mother of Mine.

Spoiler

Her character is a mother who coldheartedly disowned her daughter and gave her away to her sister in law, for the sake of securing a job alongside a cantankerous old chaebeol. And if that's not horrible enough, later on she still tried to get rid of the already grown up daughter by banishing her to work abroad, after finding out that her daughter works in the same company under her ; out of fear that her lies will be revealed and jeopardize her position.

Thanks for the fun poll @partyon!  And thanks for adding the dramas beside the names of the actors!  This time I didn't have to look at a name and sound like an owl who? who? lol

The funny thing with some of the choices is they started off evil, but were a victim of their evil omma.   I'm thinking of two of my choices SSR and Lee Ji Hoon.  

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

that drama was both hilarious and scary. reading about the nut rage heir made me wonder how yoon se ah was embodying a real bad tempered person. but we had so much fun laughing on that thread. such good memories! 

Yup, The Good Witch is such a hoot.

And it  actually packed quite a lot of villains. Between the twin sister, husband, ex and soon to be in laws, coworkers and Oh Taeri taking turn in hurting, taking advantage and  causing problem ;  and dealing with the tsundere ML, the FL is quite a wonder woman for staying sane and kindhearted.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, croquembouche2018 said:

Yay, new poll

Tyvm for tagging me @partyon.

Hmmm....limited vote but so many gaesaekkis and shipsaekkis to choose.

These are some of my selections of Kdrama villains :

■Nam Goong Min in Girl Who Sees Smells

Your usual psycho underneath all that excellent manner and refined appearance. But boy, he's so suave.

This. I’m always intrigued by villains who don’t look like villains. It’s kind of like how some Japanese anime show that the best assassins are people who look gentle, normal, and doesn’t give off any murderous aura. They could walk right up to the target and assassinate him because the target is completely at ease with the assassin. 

With Namgoong Min’s portrayal in Girl Who Sees Scents and even Remember, he had this insidious way about him in the former and in the latter, he was just as much of a psycho. Due to his portrayal of these two roles, I had a hard time afterwards seeing him in a romantic role. However, his comedy role as Manager Kim got rid of my previous image of him as his psycho characters and then I watched him in subsequent roles as reporter and doctor and I just loved him. 

4 hours ago, celebrianna said:

With Namgoong Min’s portrayal in Girl Who Sees Scents and even Remember, he had this insidious way about him in the former and in the latter, he was just as much of a psycho. Due to his portrayal of these two roles, I had a hard time afterwards seeing him in a romantic role. However, his comedy role as Manager Kim got rid of my previous image of him as his psycho characters and then I watched him in subsequent roles as reporter and doctor and I just loved him. 

I've never seen Namgoong Min as a villain, but I've heard he's really good at playing them. Which drama would you recommend me to watch?

I loved him by the way in Chief Kim. What a goofy guy! :D

a54470101528705714b7d254343cecbb.gif

Sorry i don't watch all the above mentioned drama characters, but if I really want to choose one with funny character, I will choose the best candidate Hong In-Pyo acted in "Woman of 9.9 Billion" drama, an evil but also comical role. I think @Ameelia Ali will fully agreed with me. :lol:

About the evil mother in law, i remembered well on the old movie called "Meet the Fockers", with comedian actor Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro, similarly, i prefer they called "monster in law" too.

:kicks:

14 hours ago, celebrianna said:

This. I’m always intrigued by villains who don’t look like villains. It’s kind of like how some Japanese anime show that the best assassins are people who look gentle, normal, and doesn’t give off any murderous aura. They could walk right up to the target and assassinate him because the target is completely at ease with the assassin. 

Your description of Kwon Jae Hee is spot on. Really, in normal situation,  who will peg him as potential pshychopathic killer, he's so charming and charismatic. Perhaps the real life example of this kind of murderer are Jack the Ripper and Ted Bundy.

TBH, for me Namgoong Min and Kim Jae Wook are the actors that I find equally impressive as both protagonist and villain, that somehow I don't feel weird watching them playing alternately the roles of good guy and bad guy in different dramas.

Some actors can be so stereotyped in their previous roles that it could get the viewers feel unsettled when they watch the said actors taking the opposite role. But not those oppas:blush:

50 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

About the evil mother in law, i remembered well on the old movie called "Meet the Fockers", with comedian actor Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro, similarly, i prefer they called "monster in law" too.

:kicks:

I remember there is this movie titled Monster in Law starred Jane Fonda and Jennifer Lopez. The MIL-to-be is awful too.

However, I still think Asian mothers/MILs are way more dramatic and devilish than their western counterparts. At least in movies/dramas ; I don't know about that IRL:sweat_smile:

hai everyone.. happy halloween. 
thank you to lovely  @partyon  @Lmangla  for tagging me in this topic Halloween-Evil Oppas, Unnis and Mother-in-Laws in K-dramas poll. :D I'd like to point out that The Last Empress is the thriller k-drama has got enough loops and twists to keep me gradually watching for the whole 52 episodes if I'm not mistaken. the plot is situated in the present in a fantasy depiction of Korea under the rule of a constitutional monarchy at the height of its turmoil. there's something therapeutic about watching The Last Empress thriller k-drama that spikes my blood pressure for a few hours. :D sometimes the most terrifying thrillers are the ones that feel like they could legitimately happen. that is, if we're constantly seeking the thrill of big and risky bets. the thriller drama introduces the two great talents of South Korean Shin Sung Rok shines as a star of The Last Empress playing Emperor Lee Hyuk, a fearless Emperor of the Korean Empire who makes the powerful ruler and eloquent but big bet beneath his pleasant appearance that could either suspense with lies or ugly personality life reset him. I say thank you to his an ambitious beta male facial features, Shin Sung Rok has always been known for his villains role and brutal image :D and Shin Eun Kyung stars as a very mysterious evil queen dowager, power-hungry mother desperately controlling the manipulative monarchy after she gets power. her evil deeds make me want to double check the front door is locked. :D  to Shin Sung Rok and Shin Eun Kyung's scene-stealing performances in historical thriller drama the best thrillers are the ones that seem so real they give us nightmares. I believe their best at potraying evil characters will always be remembered by the audiences last forever. let's continue watching The Last Empress, this thriller k-drama is reserved for the most fearless drama that are sure to have I'm biting my nails throughout. :D

Snl Adele GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 hours ago, *.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* said:

Not on the list, but one of my fav evil actor is Jung Woong-In as Min Joon Gook in I Can Hear Your Voice. Disliked him so much which means great acting haha

@partyon thanks for the tag again

Oh, but he is on the list. Last option in the evil oppas list. :kiss_wink:

I even voted for him myself. :joy:

Archived