Quantcast

[Current Drama 2020/2021] Secret Royal Agent, 암행어사 - Mon & Tue @ 21:30 KST

Soompi Awards: Best dramas of 2020

Here is your chance to vote for the prime time k-dramas you enjoyed the most last year.

Which dramas will win our prestigious award? Please vote! :kiss_wink:

Your Event Organizers ( @Lmangla and @partyon)

• Like 1
  • Blob 1
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I haven't yet had a chance to watch the first episode, but I wanted to share this pic with all of you:     Yes, L, we are waiting to see this scene soon. EDIT:@Ameera

Thanks for the posts @Jillia   KBS is stingy on anything related to this drama for us fans to watch. WHY?! So mean!   I watched last night ep 3.   -I liked that Yi Gyeum

Kim Myung Soo And Kwon Nara Freeze During Unexpected Encounter In “Royal Secret Agent” Drama Preview Dec 22, 2

I am enjoying this show especially the fight scenes. But now I am having second thoughts. Kwon Nara's character Hong Da In is supposed to be a damo, and she's supposed to be able to fight. But there are scenes when she's inept and acts like a girl in distress. It would be better if she doesn't wear lipstick when she's dressed like a man and less ''greasy'' look as well. She's gone undercover several times according to her, but gets startled when facing a former enemy? Sheesh, she's giving herself away too easily. The characterization is ambivalent.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, reddragon said:

I am enjoying this show especially the fight scenes. But now I am having second thoughts. Kwon Nara's character Hong Da In is supposed to be a damo, and she's supposed to be able to fight. But there are scenes when she's inept and acts like a girl in distress. It would be better if she doesn't wear lipstick when she's dressed like a man and less ''greasy'' look as well. She's gone undercover several times according to her, but gets startled when facing a former enemy? Sheesh, she's giving herself away too easily. The characterization is ambivalent.

I can feel you.. My expectation for her character actually is quite high. She's supposedly a trained damo being in the field for quite some time (according to the script), but when I watched Dain in the drama I find it a bit hard to believe her 'career'. Furthermore she was supposedly used to being a spy for high profile people since she's reporting directly to the Chief Royal Secretary. Anyway I'm still waiting for Dain to show us some extra ordinary skills other than her bravery.. Can she really fight well as what she claimed to Yi Gyeom the first time she join the team?.. 

• Like 4

Thank you @reddragon and @violet88 I am feeling your comments on Da In's character.

I find that the ML is more worthy of the group than her. Granted she helps out but yeah her being startled too easil and not fighting but more damsel in distress doesn't match her being prepared for role as Damo.

-L (ML) I am enjoying his acting career since my dear group INFINITE is not active. I did not care for his prior dramas acting as a cat (though the plot was meh). So cool to see him here as a feisty, smart and kind of rebellious character who is friendly with his servant is right.

-Glad the proposed engagement was off, we knew the ML was not wanting to do an alliance with her father. Plus it was cool she was taking matters in her own hands to LET him know she liked him despite the flurry of proposals from others. The fact she liked he was not like was refreshing and it did not hurt he was handsome. But they were doomed from the start. She was just the jealousy device for our Da In to really figure out that she REALLY likes our ML.

-The appearance of his step bro ready to help him. ML seeing his former first love from afar. Though estranged, his step bro still worries and cares for him. But that betrayal of liking his love, no wonder he lost it.

• Like 2
On 1/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, reddragon said:

Hello, just caught up on this drama.  I was thinking the same thing, Hong Dain gave herself away, it was quite ridiculous if she was experienced or even if she was inexperienced and just used her brain.  

But this is really just a light rom/com,  if it was serious at all her saviour would never have her work as a gisaeng because she was the daughter of a prince.  And she prances around and shares rooms with men and goes all over doing these very brazen and dangerous things.  Are we to believe she just shared drinks and danced? 

I  think we just have to suspend our sense of reality and go with the flow.

• Like 3

Soompi Awards: Best and Worst of the Rest (Dramas 2020)

Chingus, welcome to our final poll of 2020. :kiss_wink:  You can vote for:

1) The best C-drama of 2020

2) The most disappointing K-drama or K-drama ending of 2020

3) The best abs in a K-drama in 2020

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon and @Lmangla

In ep 6 Yi Gyeom saw glimpse of Soonae, means she's still alive.. I'm really scared of the moment they actually meet each other face to face.. What if Soonae didn't eloped with Yi Beom back then, but he was only rescuing her from something bad.. It will surely stir something towards Yi Gyeom/Dain dynamic..

• Like 1

I still do not like the FL's character. If she's capable, as she claims she is, she can go to Jeolla on her own, disguised as a man as she is. But it would be better if they do not put lipstick on her. Her face should be buff not glassy and oily, if she wants to pass off as a man. Who cares if she's a real princess? Only she and the Chief Secretary know. Even if it's a romcom, the production team should give us credible and believable characters. How many sageuks have been produced where the FL dresses as a man?

Pity the actress has many scenes with the ML, so now either I FF or scroll down so that only the subtitles are shown on the monitor. :unamused:

I've seen a few of her works, and I do not see her roles contributing much to the drama's plot. In fact, as far as I am concerned, she could be taken out of the drama without any ill effects. Her acting is mediocre, to put it nicely. There are several newcomers who can act better and more credible than her. No offense to her fans. This is my personal opinion. There are many actresses like her, some with dramas currently airing, who cannot even emote, and others who definitely cannot act, but the director and screenwriter still insist on giving them maximum exposure for whatever reason.

Addendum to my earlier post...

I find if funny and ironic that they dress up the FL as a boy but they call her Lady Da In. Duh?! And it's not the fault of the subbers.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1

Kim Myung Soo And Kwon Nara Begin To Look At Each Other Differently On “Royal Secret Agent”

KBS 2TV’s “Royal Secret Agent” has shared a glimpse of a sweet moment between Kim Myung Soo and Kwon Nara from its upcoming episode!

Spoilers

Previously on “Royal Secret Agent,” Sung Yi Kyum (played by Kim Myung Soo) had a suspenseful confrontation with his estranged half-brother Sung Yi Bum (played by Lee Tae Hwan). With the two half-brothers meeting again under very different circumstances—one of them now a secret royal inspector, the other the leader of a group of bandits—the drama hinted at new conflict to come.

On January 11, the drama released new stills from its next episode that tease the possibility of a budding romance between Sung Yi Kyum and Hong Da In (played by Kwon Nara). In the photos, Sung Yi Kyum finds comfort in Hong Da In as they share a quiet moment together at night.

The stills capture just how far the two characters have come in their relationship: far from the constantly bickering duo they once were, Sung Yi Kyum and Hong Da In have grown much closer after enduring a difficult journey together. The look in their eyes as they gaze at each other from up close highlights the change in their dynamic—and is enough to make viewers’ hearts skip a beat. Later on, Hong Da In even falls asleep with her head on Sung Yi Kyum’s shoulder.

Kim-Myung-Soo-Kwon-Nara-2.jpg

To find out how the relationship between Sung Yi Kyum and Hong Da In will evolve, tune in to the next episode of “Royal Secret Agent” on January 11 at 9:30 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1448066wpp/kim-myung-soo-and-kwon-nara-begin-to-look-at-each-other-differently-on-royal-secret-agent

• Like 1

KBS’s “Royal Secret Agent” set a new personal record in viewership ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 11 episode of the drama recorded average nationwide ratings of 6.0 and 8.7 percent. This is a jump up from its previous personal best of 6.5 percent, which it recorded last week. These ratings also make “Royal Secret Agent’ the new leader among dramas in its time slot.

Credit to Soompi.

I miss a Damo who can really use her skill in martial arts or something for self-defense like "Flowers of the Prison" .   At least today got to see HD doing a little bit of her "job" searching for the ledger.  Wish to see more of her in action.  Even in the ending part if she's the one being directed to take the rest of the people there to safety, it feels better.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ said:

KBS’s “Royal Secret Agent” set a new personal record in viewership ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 11 episode of the drama recorded average nationwide ratings of 6.0 and 8.7 percent. This is a jump up from its previous personal best of 6.5 percent, which it recorded last week. These ratings also make “Royal Secret Agent’ the new leader among dramas in its time slot.

Credit to Soompi.

I miss a Damo who can really use her skill in martial arts or something for self-defense like "Flowers of the Prison" .   At least today got to see HD doing a little bit of her "job" searching for the ledger.  Wish to see more of her in action.  Even in the ending part if she's the one being directed to take the rest of the people there to safety, it feels better.

Congrats Secret Royal Agent for the increased in ratings!

I agree with you @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ.. I think HD needs to show us more skills as a damo so that we can buy the idea and for her character being a worth member of the amhaengosa team.. I can see why YiGyeom yet to acknowledge her ability to protect herself and ironically having Chunsam, whom he knows really well cannot fight and easily scared to protect her instead.

I felt frustrated seeing HD simply hold the ledger book in her hand without any effort to hide it in her cloth before running away, which I think should be the first thing she do to protect the important evident..

Anyway lucky Chunsam is there in the gambling house to cover for her safety, else the sheriff and his man will surely get a hold of her and all the effort will go to drain..

As for YiGyeom, acting wise, I find his moment with Ibeom a bit awkward.. Anyway my guess is true, Ibeom did not eloped with Sunae and was protecting her back then. Anyway, we need to wait for ep 8 to know the reason, and from the teaser there's no Sunae in the trio's next mission. Wonder how will be the closure for YiGyeom's first love arc.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Romance Sparks Between Kwon Nara And Kim Myung Soo In “Royal Secret Agent”

KBS 2TV’s “Royal Secret Agent” has shared a glimpse of a heart-fluttering moment between Kim Myung Soo and Kwon Nara from its upcoming episode!

Spoilers

Previously on “Royal Secret Agent,” it was revealed that Jang Geun (Yang Hyun Min), the leader of the town, was behind the murder of Lord Lee. Jang Geun killed his entire family in order to take over his huge amount of inheritance. Sung Yi Kyum (Kim Myung Soo) stole the money to find evidence that Jang Geun was the culprit, and Hong Da In (Kwon Nara) successfully took the secret ledger. Their fantastic teamwork will pave the way for their budding romance.

On January 12, the drama released new stills from its upcoming episode. Sung Yi Kyum and Hong Da In are having a good time by the stream. Suddenly, they spot a snake and land on the ground together. Hong Da In smiles brightly at Sung Yi Kyum who stares at her in shock. They’re unable to take their eyes off of each other, hinting a heart-fluttering change in their relationship. Park Choon Sam (Lee Yi Kyung) looks equally baffled and surprised, and viewers can look forward to their sweet moment in the next episode.

royal-secret-agent-12.jpg

The next episode of “Royal Secret Agent” will air on January 12 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1448313wpp/romance-sparks-between-kwon-nara-and-kim-myung-soo-in-royal-secret-agent

• Thanks 2
On 1/12/2021 at 9:58 AM, violet88 said:

I felt frustrated seeing HD simply hold the ledger book in her hand without any effort to hide it in her cloth before running away, which I think should be the first thing she do to protect the important evident..

Anyway lucky Chunsam is there in the gambling house to cover for her safety, else the sheriff and his man will surely get a hold of her and all the effort will go to drain..

After last night's episode I've made the decision if I want to watch it till the end ... I have to lessen the expectation and accept it as it is.  Like this one

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ8o_LegxNs/

It's getting into a comedic scene more... and the way the secret is not a secret since the beginning :) everyone knows who's the Royal Secret Agent.  The interesting parts are we are able to see the various cases and how they are solved.  

p.s Most of the latest update is on KBSDrama IG

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
45 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ said:

It's getting into a comedic scene more... and the way the secret is not a secret since the beginning :) everyone knows who's the Royal Secret Agent.  The interesting parts are we are able to see the various cases and how they are solved.  

:joy: you are right.. It's ironic how the drama's title is Secret Royal Agent, but it's not so much secret even from the beginning.. The whole palace already knows who is the amhaengosa.. :lol:

And one more thing, if I'm not mistaken I've read somewhere on the drama synopsis which mentioned that a new amhaeng was dispatched to seek the truth behind mystery of a missing royal agent.. Turns out the mystery was solved right after few episodes into the drama.. :sweat_smile:

Anyway last night's rating was 9.7% which is an increment of 1% from ep 7. Congrats to SRA. Hope the ratings keeps increased in the following weeks..

• Like 1
  • Love 1

“Royal Secret Agent” And “Awaken” Set New Personal Bests In Viewership Ratings

KBS’s “Royal Secret Agent” continues its hot streak in ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 12 episode of “Royal Secret Agent” recorded average nationwide ratings of 6.4 and 9.7 percent. This is another significant jump up from its previous personal best of 6.0 and 8.7 percent. This is also the third episode in a row that the drama has recorded a new personal best in viewership ratings.

Although “The Penthouse” has finished its first season, SBS broadcast a special episode called “Penthouse Hidden Room – The Hidden Story,” featuring interviews with the cast, on January 12. This special episode recorded average nationwide ratings of 9.8 and 8.8 percent, showing that the drama’s popularity is still going strong as viewers wait for the second season.

JTBC’s “Live On” aired its final episode this week with ratings of 0.785 percent. On tvN, “Awaken” also recorded a new personal best with 5.036 percent, marking the first time that the drama has broken into the 5 percent range in ratings.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1448433wpp/royal-secret-agent-and-awaken-set-new-personal-bests-in-viewership-ratings

• Like 3
15 hours ago, violet88 said:

:joy: you are right.. It's ironic how the drama's title is Secret Royal Agent, but it's not so much secret even from the beginning.. The whole palace already knows who is the amhaengosa.. :lol:

lol. soon everyone in joseon will know Sung Yi-gyum the "secret" royal agent :blush: I don't mind, I mainly watch the drama for the cute and funny interactions between the characters :issohappy:

• Love 2

I am not buying the "romance" angle between Yi Gyeom and Da In. It feels forced since they are the ML and the FL.

Well, I like the solving crimes/mystery part of the show. But I want a real damo (like Ha Ji Won in Damo), not one whose fighting skills are on and off. A police officer who's afraid of looking at, or touching the dead? WTH.

Anyway, I am currently watching Ep. 7 and I was LoL-ing at the sight of the back of Sanae around 58:50...and saw her carrying a modern backpack. :crazymad:

I was thinking, what if Yi Beom made the choice to take Sanae to protect his hyung? Something is off with her, as when Yi Beom got angry because she went out to town, she said that he should blame her for what happened. Yi Beom does no want his brother to dwell on what happened and was tight-lipped when Yi Gyeom asked him what happened that day. I felt that he does not want his hyung to be associated with Sanae any more.

With Joseon palace gossip and planted/paid spies being what it is, you do not have to wonder why a "secret" does not remain a secret. It's always like that. The protagonists are always complacent, thinking that their plans and activities are safe from the eyes and ears of the hundreds of palace employees, while the antagonists blatantly intimidate, bribe and pay people to be their eyes and ears around the palace.

I always find it funny when guards are summoned to search for or chase whoever that made an illegal entry but they just keep running through the alleyways with their torches and looking straight ahead when there are numerous posts, lintels, doors, trees, bushes and areas under porches, bridges and stairs where people can hide. 

I also wonder how people manage to eavesdrop on the king or queen when they receive visitors when often, guests have to pass through three doors with landing areas in between before they reach the inner sanctum. Everyone must be speaking loudly or shouting already to be heard outside...just thinking...hahaha. Effects of continuing to watch sagueks, lol.

I love the costumes and if you've watched plenty, you can see the differences. In Dong Yi and Yi San, the royal robes are rich in detail but traditional. I particularly love the costume designs and accessories in Rookine Historian Goo Hae Ryung and Love in the Moonlight. They are bespoke. They look and feel gorgeous and exquisite in styling and colors and fit the actors perfectly. 

In Mr. Queen, the queen's dresses are nice and the color combinations are great. But if you look closely, the king's red robe is shabby, like it's already old and worn/used too many times. The king's lilac robe however, which he wore when he followed the queen to her father's house looks new and crisp.

The secret is out, so the King's secret agent cannot remain incognito, with a big thanks to the servant, who cannot keep his mouth shut. He just blabs about it to anyone. He might act like a loyal servant at times, but he's often ungrateful and uncaring, especially at the sight of food. He doesn't even think of offering some to his boss. The servant is there for the laughs, but there are plenty of times that his actions are not funny; rather, they are irritating.

I am glad that they are solving more cases of abuse, corruption and crime. In Joseon politics, corruption is not an individual thing. It's by clan or by political party. Even friends of friends of friends, et al can have a share.

On a side note, Kim Myung Soo should minimize or change his habit of doing a one-sided smile to show his dimple. For me, it comes off as a smirk instead of a small smile.

19 hours ago, reddragon said:

I am not buying the "romance" angle between Yi Gyeom and Da In. It feels forced since they are the ML and the FL.

2 hours ago, reddragon said:

The secret is out, so the King's secret agent cannot remain incognito, with a big thanks to the servant, who cannot keep his mouth shut. He just blabs about it to anyone. He might act like a loyal servant at times, but he's often ungrateful and uncaring, especially at the sight of food. He doesn't even think of offering some to his boss. The servant is there for the laughs, but there are plenty of times that his actions are not funny; rather, they are irritating.

Agree with you on these @reddragon

I think the characterization for these 2 (FL and Chunsam) are rather weak.. The 3 of them could have form an interesting and formidable trio if the character is well written and each of them has respective strength to add value to the team. But in my opinion their characters are mostly served as comedic device..

• Like 1