[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

Apple continues to show faith in its scripted originals.

Apple continues to heavily invest in its scripted originals, with a roster of star-studded series in various stages of production, including Pachinko, and many more as the company builds a roster designed to compete with streamers including Netflix and Amazon, among others.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/apple-see-season-3-renewal-1234966379/

• Like 3

Lee Min Ho hallyu king for 12 years. His next Apple+ series Pachinko budget over 100 billion for 8 epi and record setting k actor salary 1 billion won per episode

[Naver Korea] The production cost of "Pachinko" is 14-15 billion won per ep with 8 eps & a total production cost of more than 100 billion won per season. it's estimated that the main actor will be paid around 1 billion won per episode.

Damn around 900k usd per epi and over 7 million dollars for one season. It is huge series and will have multiple seasons . Really hallyu king. Faced so many rivals like Kim soo hyin, hyun bin, song Joongki ,but he remains at top as hallyu king. Boys over flowers started second korean wave and he became face of it

He auditioned for this role. First audition since boys over flowers which made him pan asia star.

His overseas fame is only 2nd to BTS and Bp . More than any other actor and idol groups. 

His last drama king didn't work in korea, but it became huge success worldwide and made 30% profit pre airing. He never mediaplays his salary , but insider says he gets paid 300 to 400 k usd per epi for dramas. Highest, Because of huge overseas profit he brings. Kim soo hyun can mediaplay his salary , but real King remains silent.

But this series he gonna go to next level and will have multiple seasons

What a career turnaround

https://forum.allkpop.com/thread/38441-lee-min-ho-hallyu-king-for-12-years-his-next-apple-series-pachinko-budget-over-1/

If I understand correctly, then Lee Min Ho will be filming in the second season of Pachinko?

• Like 2

Apple TV+ updated the upcoming shows and still no Pachinko :tears:  Does anyone know how to watch on your TV?  I can only access Apple TV on my phone and ipad.  My TV is not an Apple.  There's no place to add a code like Netflix.  

• Like 1

Apple TV+ has not decided when to enter South Korea, but it is widely expected that it will start its Korean service in time for the release of the drama "Pachinko." Based on a novel of the same title by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, Pachinko depicts the life of Koreans living in Japan and is effective in attracting Korean subscribers by starring a large number of Korean actors such as Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jung. According to Hollywood Reporter, a U.S. entertainment media, the production cost of Pachinko is equivalent to Netflix's original drama "The Crown." The Crown is known to have invested about USD 130 million (about KRW 145 billion) per season.

https://www.donga.com/news/Culture/article/all/20210616/107473878/1

• Like 1

History has ruined us, but it doesn't matter.

Kim Young-min, a professor of political diplomacy at Seoul National University.

spacer.png

The first time I saw this intense sentence was during the exhibition at the 58th Venice Biennale in the summer of 2019 when I visited Venice, Italy to attend a conference. An artful reconstruction of Korean modern history with modernity, East Asia, and gender as keywords. The exhibition is titled after the first sentence of Korean-American author Lee Min-jin's novel 'Pachinko.'

The most interesting thing about the composition of the novel "Pachinko" is the relationship between the first sentence and the rest. Without specifying who the speaker is, she declares, "History has ruined us, but it doesn't matter," and immediately goes straight to Korean history more than 120 years ago. "At the turn of the century, the old fisherman and his wife decided to stay in their lodgings to make more money. Both were born and raised in Yeongdo, the port city of Busan. "Then, is the first sentence, "History ruined us, but it doesn't matter," a summary of the story that follows, or is it a pledge of novelist Lee Min-jin? Is this a warning to readers? If not, is it a comfort to the characters in the novel?

All humans can do in front of history is move on through history. Like all a surfer facing a wave can do is climb over the waves. In other words, there is no way not to be soaked in the waves of history. If anyone says he is free from history, he is either a god or a liar. History makes a mess of humans. In "Pachinko," Koreans in Japan say. "Listen, there's nothing you can do. This country is not changing. Koreans like me can't even leave this country. Where are we going? Koreans who returned to their homeland have not changed anything. In Seoul, people like me are called Japanese babies."

The novel "Pachinko" is not about an individual winning against a huge wave of history. Nor is it a story about human beings being brutally drowned in the waves of history. It's about people who barely survived the waves of history. Those who survived where the waves of history passed are all broken somewhere. Only when you don't hide, glamorize, and don't succumb to it can you say that you're broken. History has ruined us, but it doesn't matter.

https://www.chosun.com/national/weekend/2021/06/19/BALDOMHZYFB2PLSGMQCWH235M4/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pachinko Release in 2021, Anna Sawai of Fast & Furious 9 Becomes Lee Min Ho's Main Co-Actor

spacer.png

The drama Pachinko, which has been filming since October 26, 2020, will reportedly air in 2021 on Apple TV+. This drama stars the handsome actor Lee Min Ho .

Lee Min Ho will be acting with several actors and actresses from several countries. One of Lee Min Ho's co-actors is Fast & Furious 9's Anna Sawai .

Anna Sawai is an actress of Japanese-New Zealand blood, who has played the character Elle in Fast & Furious 9.

She was a member of FAKY, a Japanese idol group in 2013. However, Anna decided to pursue her dream of a career in acting. She left and left the group in December 2018.

In the drama Pachinko , Anna Sawai will play a smart career woman named Naomi,  who works in the financial industry.

https://editornews.pikiran-rakyat.com/entertainment/pr-1312082845/pachinko-tayang-2021-anna-sawai-fast-furious-9-jadi-lawan-main-lee-min-ho

• Like 3

Lee Min Ho Instagram Update: ‘Pachinko’ Star Overwhelmed by Birthday Presents from Fans

BY Geca Wills Jun 23, 2021

lee-min-ho.jpg?w=900

Lee Min Ho expressed his gratitude towards his legion of fans as he celebrated his 34th birthday.

To show his appreciation, the Hallyu star took to social media and shared a glimpse of how he spent his special day.

Over Lee Min Ho's Instagram, the "City Hunter" star donned a big bright smile while inside a room filled with presents from fans.

In a series of snaps, he looked a bit surprised as he was seen surrounded by a mountain of bouquets and a ton of balloons.

Interestingly, the actor simply posted emojis that signal how overwhelmed he is by the love from his loyal supporters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQbAZ1DLfY2/?utm_medium=copy_link

As of this writing, Lee Min Ho's Instagram post garnered a whopping 4.4 million likes and almost 160,000 comments.

In the comment section, fans even from neighboring countries like the Philippines, India, Thailand, and more wished him good health and luck on his birthday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQaeXi7LG-S/?utm_medium=copy_link

"Thank you, thank you, I'm happy" Lee Min Ho's Instagram caption reads.

#LeeMinHoDay Trends on Twitter

On the day of his birthday, June 22, fans all over the world gathered on Twitter to commemorate his special day.

With his, #LeeMinHoDay went viral as his supporters wished him on his birthday alongside photos and funny memes of the Hallyu king.

Meanwhile, some fans expressed how excited they are to see him in dramas and even on the big screen.

Lee Min Ho's Upcoming Drama "Pachinko"

Speaking of Lee Min Ho's dramas, the 34-year-old actor is set to appear in the much-awaited drama "Pachinko."

This will be Apple TV+'s adaptation based on the novel written by Korean-American author Min Jin Lee.

According to multiple reports, the actor's new drama follows the story of ethnic Koreans, known as Zainichi Koreans, who live in Japan.

It depicts how these immigrants faced struggles from racial discrimination.

Aside from the OG Oppa, who plays Koh Hansu, "Pachinko" cast members include award-winning actress Youn Yuh Jung, Jung Eun Chae, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, and Kaho Minami.

In his previous interview with GQ Korea, the "Bounty Hunters" star shared that the team ended filming the show in Busan, South Korea back in December 2020.

It was then followed by a filming session in Vancouver, Canada, and flew from Korea to the Great White North in February.

During his chat with the publication, Lee Min Ho revealed that he had to audition for the part.

He mentioned that it has been more than a decade since his last audition, adding, "I thought it would be so embarrassing if I failed the audition, and I was determined to get the role, so I worked really hard to prepare for it," the Hallyu star explained.

At the time, the "The King: Eternal Monarch" star confessed that he felt "pressured" and experienced mixed emotions, but he revealed that he was "happy" when he was chosen as one of the cast.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121009/20210623/lee-min-ho-instagram-update-pachinko-overwhelmed-birthday-presents.htm

• Like 1

Anna Sawai Wants To Eliminate Stereotypes For Asian Female Characters

spacer.png

The 29-year-old actress’s ascension, from the Fast & Furious franchise to Pachinko, has been swift.

Anna Sawai smiles when she recalls telling a friend as a teenager that she wanted to become an actress. Her friend told her, “You look like you could be in Fast & Furious.” Little did Sawai know she’d one day land the role of Elle, a mysterious girl who loses her parents at age 11 in F9: The Fast Saga, out June 25. “Elle had a very traumatic childhood, but she’s a fighter,” says Sawai over Zoom from Tokyo.

The 29-year-old actress grew up between New Zealand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and Japan due to her father’s job with an electronics company. Meanwhile, her mother, who studied opera, taught her to sing, which helped her secure the title role in a Tokyo stage production of Annie. From there, she made her film debut in 2009’s Ninja Assassin and performed as part of a J-pop group named FAKY.

Joining a well-oiled machine like the Fast franchise was intimidating, but director Justin Lin couldn’t have been more welcoming. “He knew I didn’t have much experience and really guided me through it,” she says. Next, Sawai will play Naomi, a savvy businesswoman in the Apple TV+ adaptation of Min Jin Lee’s historical novel Pachinko.

Next, you’re starring in the Apple TV+ adaptation of Pachinko. What drew you to this project?

I loved the book so much. My character Naomi is one of the few who doesn’t appear in the book, but when I read the description for the audition, I just knew that it was something I wanted to do. She’s working in this time when, even more than now, women didn’t have the same opportunities as men, and they weren’t taken seriously in society. She’s struggling to prove herself to the men in the office.

How do you approach choosing the characters you play?

The characters I play always [represent] something that I think is important. Yes, Elle is Asian and does action, but there’s a reason why. She had to become a fighter to protect herself. There’s so much depth to her. And Naomi is struggling to stand up for herself at a time when it was really difficult for women [to do so]. I don’t want to perpetuate the stereotype of Asian characters because there are still a lot of characters like that. I just want to try different roles.

An abridged version of this article appears in the June/July 2021 issue of ELLE.

https://www.elle.com/culture/a36790987/anna-sawai-fast-and-furious-9/

Lee Min Ho celebrates the new year with a 'mountain' of gifts and flowers

Spoiler

On the evening of June 22, Lee Min Ho showed off a room filled with balloons, flowers and gifts to celebrate his 34th birthday. The actor couldn't hide his happy smile at the fans' love for him.

On his personal page, Lee Min Ho shared a series of photos of himself standing among hundreds of flower bouquets, balloons and gifts to celebrate his turning of a new age. Attached to the photo, the actor did not write anything but only updated the expression of gratitude, shock and happiness for receiving so much love from fans. The movie star The Heirs also revealed a bright smile in a space filled with his birthday gifts.

Lee Min Ho's post quickly caused a fever on social networks . As of noon on June 23, the series of moments when the 34-year-old male god celebrates his birthday has attracted nearly 4.5 million likes on Instagram and about 1.5 million likes and hearts on Facebook . There are also more than hundreds of thousands of happy birthday comments for Lee Min Ho .

Also on June 22, the actor born in 1987 updated his childhood photos on the occasion of turning a new age. The image of Lee Min Ho as a child also swept all over the media and caused a storm on social networks. All of them show the strong influence of this Korean star , although he has not had any new works since the King: Eternal Monarch .

The latest project that Lee Min Ho confirmed is Pachinko , expected to be 8 episodes long. Pachinko is based on the book of the same name by writer Lee Min Jin Korean-American, tells the story of Koreans living in Japan War era world Monday. In a foreign land, they have to face prejudice and racism.

In 2019, Pachinko was nominated for the Korean National Book Award and was called "Book of the Year" by international media. The book was also praised by former President Barack Obama and recommended to readers.

In addition to Lee Min Ho, Pachinko also features Youn Yuh Jung , the star who has just won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role in Minari. Pachinko has already begun filming and will premiere sometime in the second half of 2021 on Apple TV+. The film is directed by Korean-American producer Su Hue and produced by author Lee Min Jin.

https://thanhnien.vn/giai-tri/lee-min-ho-mung-tuoi-moi-cung-nui-qua-va-hoa-1402990.html

• Like 3

Apple (AAPL) Expands Apple TV+ Content With First French Show

Apple AAPL is expanding Apple TV+’s regional content portfolio.

Spoiler

The iPhone-maker is reportedly producing its first French original production, Liaison, for its streaming service, per 9TO5Mac, which cited a report by Le Figaro.

Apple has been focused on expanding its portfolio of bilingual shows for some time to gain more adoption. For instance, Liaison will have a mixture of both English and French dialogues. Currently, Apple has a couple of bilingual shows in production, including Acapulco, and Now and Then, both in Spanish and English.

In terms of regional content, Apple made a move last year by acquiring the rights of Israeli shows like Tehran and Losing Alice.

Further, it entered the Korean-language originals space with a series based on popular webtoon Dr. Brain.

Other international shows include the TV-adaptation of Pachinko, a popular historical novel by Korean-American author Min Jin Lee.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-aapl-expands-apple-tv-143002275.html

• Like 1

Getting to know Anna Sawai, Asian Woman in F9: The Fast Saga

Anna Sawai, who plays Elle in F9: The Fast Saga released on June 25, is currently 29 years old. She grew up with her parents in several countries, such as New Zealand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and Japan. Her father worked as an electronics company employee. Her mother taught Anna to sing and helped her land the lead role on Annie's stage in Tokyo.

Actress and singer, Anna Sawai made her first film debut when she played in the film Ninja Assassin in 2009. After that, she also entered the music world and appeared as part of a Japanese girl band called FAKY along with four female friends who performed J-Pop music. .

After the F9 film project, the Japanese-New Zealand actress is planning to play a character named Naomi in a series adaptation of a historical novel entitled Pachinko which will air on Apple TV+. Besides Anna, this series is planned to also star several famous Korean actors and actresses such as, Lee Min-Ho, Youn yuh-jung and Kim Min-ha.

spacer.png

https://highend-magazine.okezone.com/read/mengenal-anna-sawai-wanita-asia-dalam-film-f9-the-fast-saga-LdC099

• Like 1

F9's Anna Sawai on Joining the Fast Family and Smashing Hollywood Stereotypes

anna-sawai-interview-293968-162491862365

Later this year, you are starring in the Apple TV+ series Pachinko, an adaptation of Min Jin Lee’s acclaimed novel. It’s an epic drama and a huge production filmed across multiple continents with dialogue in Korean, Japanese, and English. Can you tell me about your experience working on the series?

It was honestly such a special project to me because being able to tell the story of my character, who is working in a male-dominated industry and not being taken seriously. I know so many women who have faced similar things. And even now, I think gender equality in Japan is not where it needs to be. So to be able to tell her story really meant a lot. To shoot with this [cast and crew], they really took it seriously, and it was really something that spoke to them. No one was there just to have fun. It was so meaningful. Also, this was my first project that I knew I would be working on for multiple seasons, so we were able to really create it from the beginning, and it felt like everyone was included in it creatively. 

What can we look forward to in terms of your character Naomi?

She has such a strong personality, but because we are talking about the ’80s, it wasn’t like she could just say whatever she wanted to say. You can really feel the struggle of knowing what you want to do and having an opinion but having to … conceal it and making adjustments where she could. I can’t really say too much because not a lot is revealed yet, but I am sure a lot of women will be able to relate to her.

So your part of the story is set in the ’80s. Does that mean we will get some good ’80s fashion moments as well?

You will definitely see ’80s fashion, but she is mostly in the office, so it’s not the crazy fashion you might think. It’s not like übercolorful or big hair, but it’s a lot of shoulder pads...

https://globalcirculate.com/amp/f9s-anna-sawai-on-joining-the-fast-family-and-smashing-hollywood-stereotypes/

‘I’ve never turned pages so quickly’: 22 books we couldn’t put down

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

HarperCollins

A friend of mine refers to reading this book as becoming “Pachinko-pilled”. Addictive is too flimsy a word. Galactic in scope, written in a voice almost like myth, Min Jin Lee’s masterpiece becomes your world for the time you read it.

Me and my partner read it earlier this year, and began setting aside hours every night for “Pachinko-time”: just sitting there in silence taking it in. Even pre-lockdown, it’s the kind of book that makes you wave away other distractions. Crucially, it also teaches you about the history of Asia, the differences between Japan and Korea, and destroys any conceptions of them as being homogenous. – Naaman Zhou

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jul/01/ive-never-turned-pages-so-quickly-22-books-we-couldnt-put-down

• Like 1

EVENT ALERT: chingus, please vote for your favourite second leads for 2021 H1 kdramas! 

Your Event Organizers,

@Lmangla @partyon @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart326 @agenth

Soompi_Advent_mini.jpg

December 22nd

edit by @agenth

maxresdefault.jpg?width=789&height=444

LMH oppa is greeting you.  - it's beautiful to see you arrive here. 

Only 2 more days until Christmas is here! Thanks for finding the clues and spending time with us, chingus!

Have you already found all Christmas presents for your family and decorated a tree? Here's a quick guide on how to wrap your presents!  

And here you can find a way to make a christmas tree decoration!

Or, if you don't celebrate Christmas, do you have any plans for special arts projects?

Edited by agenth
soompi advent calendar 2021
  • Blob 2

While the female celebrity side has a comeback for Song Hye Kyo, Song Ye Jin, and Jung Ji Hyun, the male celebrity side grabs attention when four names like Lee Min Ho, Lee Jong Suk, Kim Soo Hyun, and Kim Woo Bin are eager to return with a new project. ... Let's take a look at the dramas these actors have confirmed to be in!

1. Lee Min Ho

sao-nam-han-tro-lai-anh2.jpg

After discharging in 2019, Lee Min Ho returned to filming the TV series "The King: Eternal Monarch" (Quan Wang Eternal). The film received a good response from overseas audiences, and in Korea, The King: Eternal Monarch also received an impressive 11.6% rating.

In May 2021, Lee Min Ho was confirmed to participate in a new film project, Pachinko. It is known that "Pachinko" has 8 series and is produced by Apple TV Plus in the USA. There will be some Asian actors appearing in the film because of the Asian immigration content. In Pachinko, Lee Min Ho plays the role of Hansu, who is described as a mysterious person. He is a trader with ties to criminal organizations and is involved in an illicit love affair, which is fraught with unpredictable consequences.

Pachinko has an investment budget of up to $ 130 million and joins the association of the most expensive projects in the entertainment industry. At the same time, Korean media also hope that Lee Min Ho's role can leave a mark on the domestic and international markets ...

Translation from Vietnamese google

https://voh.com.vn/tin-sao/bo-tu-lee-min-ho-lee-jong-suk-kim-soo-hyun-va-kim-woo-bin-thong-bao-cho-su-tro-lai-406703.html

• Like 1

'Pachinko's' Kim Min-ha signs exclusive contract with Saram Entertainment

"Kim Min-ha is not only an actor who captivates the public with her unique fresh energy, but also has solid basics, various talents, and infinite growth potential," said Saram Entertainment. "We will fully support Kim Min-ha to grow into a good actor in a stable environment."

Kim Min-ha, who has continued her steady activities in various fields such as short films and advertisements, was recently cast through fierce competition in the global project drama "Pachinko," an online video service (OTT) in the U.S. In the drama, Kim Min-ha plays the role of Yoon Yo-jung, the main character, and worked with actors such as Lee Min-ho, Jung Eun-chae, and Jung Woong-in. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name written by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, "Pachinko" is a global project produced by world-class cast members including Korea, Japan and the United States and conducted in three languages: Korean, Japanese and English. Expectations are high for Kim Min-ha's performance, who will portray a series of events experienced by women who have left Korea since the Japanese colonial era.

spacer.png

http://www.celuvmedia.com/article.php?aid=1626062590385172006

• Like 2

Actress Kim Min Ha has signed an exclusive contract with Sara Entertainment.

76e6f76b-65be-4d7d-a034-5e8fa4fdf0b6.jpg

Sara Entertainment announced on the 12th, “Kim Min Ha is an actor with strong basic skills, varied talents and endless growth potential, as well as a charm that captivates audiences with his unique refreshing energy. We will fully support Kim Min Ha so that she can grow up to be a good actress in a stable environment. "

Since her debut in the web drama Two Women Season 2 in 2016, Kim Min-ha has been known to the general public for her colorful charisma across a variety of genres such as KBS 2TV's School 2017, MBC's Forensics. Man and Woman ”and the Netflix movie“ The Ring ”. Specifically in the movie "Spring Road," she took on the role of Hyun Jung, a high school daughter who is trying to heal her father of scars, and has shown her potential as an actress with her passionate acting, a vibrant life. the appearance of delicate sensitivity.

Kim Min Ha, who has worked in a variety of fields such as short films and advertising, was recently cast on the drama of Pachinko, a global US online video service (OTT) project, Pachinko. In the play, Kim Min Ha takes on the role of Yoon Yeo Jung, the main character, and works with actors such as Lee Min Ho, Jung Eun Che, and Jung Woon In.

"Pachinko" is a work based on the bestselling book of the same name by the Korean-American writer Lee Min Jin. It is a global project created by world-class actors from Korea, Japan and the United States. and is conducted in three languages: Korean, Japanese and English.

Reporter Jinseok Kim superjs@joongang.co.kr

Translation from korean google
https://mnews.joins.com/article/24103253#home

• Like 1