[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

2 hours ago, Missprincesa said:

If this information is correct, we now have the dates for filming in Canada. 

But what does Eleos stand for? I thought it was a different production, but I am not so sure right now. 

@Missprincesa"Elios" (translated from Greek for "Mercy") is the working title of the film "Pachinko". Why the Americans renamed it is difficult to say, especially since there is already a film with that name, filmed in the USA in 2020.

MV5BYTdlY2Y3OGMtMDZkYS00MDVlLWFjOWEtYjk3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8888462/?ref_=tt_sims_tt

MV5BNGVhMTE4OWMtZWE3ZS00MzZjLTkzYmYtMzQ3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11985484/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

12 most anticipated Korean drams in 2021: summary

Rizki Ramadan

- January 22, 2021

1712657867.jpeg

1. Pachinko

Explains the hopes of four generations of immigrant families in Korea. The story begins with forbidden love, which then progresses into a travel story that shows three countries, namely Korea, America and Japan, which are on their way to a story of war and peace, love, loss, and victory and defeat.

In this drama, Pachinko Lee Min Ho will play the role of Hansu, who is a depiction of a foreign youth and a mysterious merchant.

In his story, Hansu is associated with organized crime, which starts with forbidden love and creates complex conflicts that expand over time.

This drama, with its immorality and conflicts, as well as the performance of famous actors, is one of the most anticipated dramas for Korean drama enthusiasts, especially for Lee Min Ho fans who are yearning for his role again.

Translate from Indonesian google

https://zonabanten.pikiran-rakyat.com/entertainment/pr-231313421/12-drama-korea-yang-paling-ditunggu-pada-tahun-2021-berikut-sinopsisnya?page=6

• Like 3

K-drama streaming wars: how Netflix hits Kingdom and Sweet Home complicate Korea’s increasingly crowded TV market

- Since Netflix started showing Korean dramas in 2016, it has changed the template for how they are made and brought them to an international audience.

- With Disney+, HBO Max, and Apple+ all expected to follow suit soon, Korean cable and terrestrial channels’ productions will have to up their game

Pierce Conran
Published: 23 Jan, 2021

It was only a few years ago that the K-drama industry found itself in the midst of a massive change, when South Korean cable channels (OCN, JTBC and tvN), with their fresher and edgier content, caught up with traditional networks (KBS, SBS, MBC).

These days, the Korean drama landscape is reshaping itself once more. However, rather than a change it may more aptly be described as a complete metamorphosis.

The streaming era has well and truly arrived. Much like the rise of cable channels, streaming services have once again shaken up who produces, finances and distributes Korean content. But a greater transformation is being seen in the series themselves, and one of the chief drivers of this has been the rapid evolution in who watches them.

It wasn’t just cable channels and streaming services that caught the zeitgeist; public channels made some of the first moves that would alter the market. Descendants of the Sun, for example, originally an SBS show that eventually passed on to KBS, set several precedents for the industry.

It was the first major show entirely pre-produced before airing and it secured a large amount of its financing through presales to the foreign market – the presale to Chinese online platform iQiyi alone covered an estimated 40 per cent of its costs.

Subsequent pre-produced shows from broadcasters did not fare as well, and a political falling out between South Korea and China cut off a huge revenue stream for the industry, but the die was cast – K-dramas no longer had to stick to the same old template, and they could be produced with a foreign audience in mind.

This was the state of play when Netflix entered the industry in 2016. After building up local content partnerships and growing its service, the streaming giant ventured into original Korean content in 2019 with Kingdom .

Likely inspired by the success of Train to Busan , the Korean zombie film which debuted in Cannes and was a box office hit around the world, Kingdom was a hit and a bold new step for K-dramas. This glossy, period zombie series paired a TV writer (Kim Eun-hee, Signal) and a film director (Kim Seong-hun, Tunnel ) and largely cast film actors, including Bae Doona, known internationally through the series Sense8, another Netflix Original series.

Through partnerships with local content producers such as Studio Dragon and JTBC, Netflix now offers a range of licensed hit shows, screening daily around the world, in addition to an ever more ambitious slate of locally produced original series.

However, Netflix was never the only game in town, and a growing number of competitors are vying for a slice of the ever-growing pie. Among these are Watcha, which is known for its film library; Waave, a collaboration between KBS, SBS and MBC; and TVING, which features content from OCN, JTBC and tvN.

Last month the market welcomed Coupang Play, Disney+ is expected later this year, and there are many whispers that HBO Max and Apple+ will also move into the market in the near future. Kakao M, Naver’s V Live, and new streaming ventures from service providers like KT are also in the mix.

Many wondered how many of these services could survive, let alone thrive, but when the global pandemic struck early last year, the inexorable shift towards online content accelerated. Yet these days, merely having a streaming service does not cut it. Producing exclusive, in-demand content is the new goal for many of these local companies, who are forced to play catch-up with Netflix.

Waave began original programming last year with shows like the period romcom The Tale of Nokdu and the anthology series SF8. It has also signed a deal with NBCUniversal to make its original series available overseas on the latter’s Peacock service.

TVING is also getting into the game this month with its first original, Girls High School Investigation Class, an eight-part mystery series, and with plenty more to come.

Despite significant sums set aside for production, these local companies will struggle to match the financing of the bigger foreign services targeting Korea, which are aiming to develop content that can be successful globally.

Among them is Apple TV+, which is producing a multilingual version of the Korean immigrant-themed bestseller Pachinko with Lee Min-ho, and is also in development on Mr. Robin, a six-part adaptation of the webtoon “Dr. Brain”, which will mark the small-screen debut of acclaimed filmmaker Kim Jee-woon (A Bittersweet Life).

Potential global audiences mean bigger budgets, but also catering to varying tastes. Owing to the current popularity of high-concept genre content around the world, Netflix is producing shows that are very different from what local content producers are developing.

A case in point is the recent hit Sweet Home , a big-budget monster horror series which was initially poorly received in Korea. Yet after becoming a hit around the world, local viewers gave it a second chance. As the world embraces streaming, no one wants to be left out.

Increased competition in the online market means more choice, so consumers stand to gain the most in the short term, but only time will tell which services will survive the K-drama streaming wars.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3118794/k-drama-streaming-wars-how-netflix-hits-kingdom-and-sweet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Korean Wave  - Dramas, books, artists you want to know in the coming years!

How about the bestselling book Pachinko (written by Min Jin Lee, translated by Makiko Ikeda / published by Bungei Shunju), which Lee Min Ho decided to turn into drama on Apple TV while reading? As for me, I cannot hide my love for Busan, this is a job that attracts me only because the beginning of the story is Busan. The author himself is a woman who immigrated from South Korea to New York in her youth, turned from a lawyer to a writer, and lived in Japan.

Lee Min Ho reveals how he got the role of Hansu in Pachinko
Updated January 21, 2021

SYDZ7AZF5BH73JR2S7ENA75HZU.jpg

Lee Min Ho will star in "Pachinko," a TV adaptation of the bestselling book of the same name. Photo: MYM Entertainment

The Apple TV + drama is King Hallyu's return to acting following his 2020 starring role in The King: Eternal Monarch.

After becoming King Lee Gong in The King: The Eternal Monarch, Lee Min Ho was given the chance to star in the ambitious Apple TV + series Pachinko. In a recent interview, the 33-year-old Korean actor shared details of his casting for the project and his expectations for this new character.

Pachinko began filming in October 2020, and after the official announcement of the cast, he singled out Lee Min Ho's name as the person in charge of bringing Hansu to life. Since the plot is based on Min Jin Lee's bestselling novel about the resettlement of a Korean family during the Japanese occupation, it is known that his role will be far from the "romantic heartthrob" that the actor has adopted in his previous roles.

Hansu is described as a wealthy and powerful merchant associated with organized crime. His role in the plot will be key as he appears in the life of Sunji (Kim Min Ha) and in connection with the beginning of an illegal romance between them.

XEEDGBLDBVH7XKPBSD7GIHNS3Q.JPG

Kim Min Ha and Lee Min Ho are part of the Pachinko cast. Photo: Composition / Naver

Lee Min Ho received an offer to audition for an American production right after King: Eternal Monarch ended. “The production group proposed and I thought, 'Oh audition? Sounds fun, ”the actor recalls in his story to GQ magazine.

It's clear that after 14 years in the Korean industry, Lee Min Ho is no longer used to fighting for characters. At this stage in your career, you have the privilege of choosing deals. However, Pachinko presented a different problem as an international project.

“I read the script and it was so different from what I’ve seen before; and I think there is a sense of duty when it comes to deep Korean stories (...). Hansu's character was beaming and I was attracted to the review of the script. "

Lee Min Ho notes that he prepared diligently for the role. “It's been over ten years since I last auditioned, but the situation is different. I thought it would be embarrassing if I failed and I decided to take on the role, so I worked hard to prepare. "

“I was very nervous and reminiscing about the old days. I ran into colleagues who also auditioned for the character, and they all felt the same way. It was a good experience, full of emotions, ”commented the actor. "I was very happy to get the part."

Lee Min Ho. Photo: GQ Korea

Spoiler

FNRBRJV6FRCNRLMR6RUTQCEJJM.JPG

JE5C37QG3FGPXP6BBUDE6ZYS3E.JPG

Pachinko Premiere

Pachinko's recordings began at the end of 2020. According to previous reports, the series will be released in 2021.

ODTRAMQITFE4ZA2JXQBR67EFFM.jpg

Lee Min Ho has already been assigned a character in the Apple TV series. Photo: MYM roster

Translation from spanish google

https://larepublica.pe/cultura-asiatica/2021/01/20/lee-min-ho-revela-como-consiguio-el-papel-de-hansu-en-drama-pachinko/?ref=lre

• Like 5

Choosing Between Honour, Duty, And Living Life: Reading ‘Pachinko’ By Min Jin Lee

spacer.png

There are books and then there are BOOKS. The difference being that one helps you pass time and the later makes you weep in gratitude for your ability to read and marvel at the human mind’s and heart’s ability to create literary masterpieces. Am I exaggerating? Maybe. But allow me to plead my case for Pachinko. The author, Min Jin Lee, has somehow created a cohesive narrative that covers more than eight decades, five generations and two wars in one 478 page wonder of a novel.

She has expressed history in the only way that is relevant, in how it affects the human experience. Yes, some people know that Japan invaded Korea. Yes, some people know that Koreans were forced to flee to Japan or chose to migrate in hopes of a better life.

But what does all this mean? How does all this have any value? It has value because regular letters that were written to parents cease without explanation. It has consequences because people are pushed to explore their new unwanted roles. Personal relationships are altered because the environment transforms the individual. The external force becomes so huge that it forces its way into the private and corrupts it. Each disappearance has to be acknowledged because the whole ceases to exist.

The book begins in Yeongdo, Busan, Korea with the declaration that the common folk are attempting to survive the changing political scenario. When you have been introduced to the personal history of Hoonie and his parents only then is the failure of the aristocratic and political class, the invasion of Korea by Japan is revealed.

In the beginning, it is expressed as an inconvenience. Till of course it grows throughout the book and engulfs their lives. The development is gradual but it is like watching a train crash. I would argue that it is worse because the accident is being analysed one victim at a time.

All the characters in the book have incredible agency. They have personalities that you love, relate with and root for. They are an incredible juxtaposition between who they are as individuals and what is their role in their family. I was especially thankful for the way that the female characters are written.

As you reach the end of the saga you reach the realisation that there is never an end to the war. It just transforms into how it is reflected in each generation, how it is carried by each generation.

spacer.png

The words of Louis May Alcott in the book Little Women describe it in the aptest way, “Women..they have minds and they have souls as well as just hearts. And they have got talent and they have got ambition as well as just beauty…” Yangjin, Sunja, Khungee are actual players in the story, making and affecting the way the story goes. Actual players in their own lives. The backs on whom history is carried because they are the ones who are left behind as the remnants of war and as the vessel to carry stories in their survival.

This book is also a journey of accepting the self by realising that others will always try to define you. But they will only succeed if the self is not sure of itself. The way that violence, not just physical but mental and emotional is perpetuated by war is what is traced and retraced as well. Morality is questioned as well. There is in some sense an argument between a deontological thought of morality and a utilitarian thought of morality. Should you stick to the idea of being honourable even if it risks your well being or worse the well being of your family? Should your duty as a citizen surpass your duty to your family?

As you reach the end of the saga you reach the realisation that there is never an end to the war. It just transforms into how it is reflected in each generation, how it is carried by each generation. Min Jin Lee tries to end it on a positive note by showing that the characters have made peace with who they are and what has been done to them by surviving. But their perseverance leaves you unsettled, unnerved and indigent.

https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2021/01/pachinko-by-min-jin-lee/

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

'Fly Gaecheon-yong' Jung Woon-in, "Happy and Safe Ending"

BF.25136088.1.jpg

Jung Woon In's characteristic charisma showed significant synchronicity with the character, adding tension to the work, giving it a twist and helping the work move forward. Jung Woon-in has a reputation as a seasoned actor who has already led the flow of work on numerous works and knows how to add edgy flavors such as energy and excitement to a play ...

In addition, Jung Woon-in is also filming on Apple TV "Pachinko," which will expand the spectrum of the world with constant movement in 2021, cementing his presence as a lead actor.

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/drama/article/2021012459814#_enliple

• Like 5

"Pachinko," which is being produced by Apple TV, is already a hot topic. Those who don't know the title of the work may think, "Again, Japan?" but this work is dramatized based on the masterpiece of Korean artist Lee Min-jin. Lee Min-jin is a Korean-American writer who is famous not only in the U.S. but also all over the world.

Lee Min-jin, who is considered the second Jane Austen, continues her work by focusing on her identity. The writer, who has a father from North Korea and a mother from Busan, immigrated with her family at the young age of 7. 

spacer.png

Lee, who graduated from Yale University's Department of History and Georgetown University Law School and worked as a lawyer, became a writer due to illness. Along with several short stories, the first feature film, Free Food for Millionaires, was a huge success. It has been translated in 11 countries, and has won Top Ten Books of the Year. 

After marrying her Japanese-American husband, her four years living in Japan due to her husband's work became the reason for her writing "Pachinko." During that time, the masterpiece was completed by visiting and interviewing Korean residents in Japan. The work, which closely captures the lives of Koreans as Japan's bare face is clearly revealed, literally created a sensation.

Why are so many people crazy about the life of Korean-Japanese living in Japan for 80 years over four generations? And why were they so anxious to make this work into a movie or drama? The author once revealed why she signed a contract with Apple TV.

Many people said they would make the film into a movie or drama. However, they said they offered to make the main character white. It meant that people should be white to make money. In this situation, the person in charge of Apple TV was different.

The person in charge, who was in his 20s, readily accepted the writer's terms. The writer said that the main character must be Asian. In the meantime, the mainstream American society has deliberately ostracized Asians. Such a coercive situation naturally had no choice but to dampen Asians.

Lee's efforts to destroy this narrow-minded view of Asia eventually paid off. As Jenny Han emphasized, the demand from these Korean writers living in the United States is to break the false perceptions and violence of American mainstream society.

Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jung have been confirmed as the main characters of "Pachinko," a global masterpiece produced by Apple TV. This interesting work, directed by Korean and Japanese actors, and Korean-American Korean and Japanese directors, will change the view of Koreans in the U.S. and even Asia.

http://m.mediaus.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=204135

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

spacer.png

Actor Jung Woong-in responded positively to his appearance in entertainment shows.

He is also about to leave the country to shoot 'Pachinko' of OTT platform Apple TV. He is busier than ever. Although he has been in the industry for well over 20 years, it is his first time to work on OTT, so expectations and excitement are very high.

"It's my first time on the OTT platform, and I'm very excited. It's like a challenge for me, who plays various media roles. For an actor, a play is training. An actor will not watch Netflix, watch a movie, and think only of fragments, but for an actor, the play seems to be part of training. So I always try to create an attitude where I can act with my hands and feet, and put myself on the test. "Pachinko" is all about wanting to do well.

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202101261505554710

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Nikaa94 said:

He said in his interview that he can’t explain his role, what if he is Noa?:joy: 

lol nikaa :joy: at first i thought you were speaking about lmh and i got excited then i readed the article and found its the other guy

i dont think so. he is too old for noa. he will probably play yoseob

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Our Lee Min Ho should also play Noa,,,, Both Hansuuuuuuu and Noaaaaaaaaa :rickroll::getmygrooveon:

10 minutes ago, lupeace said:

lol nikaa :joy: at first i thought you were speaking about lmh and i got excited then i readed the article and found its the other guy

i dont think so. he is too old for noa. he will probably play yoseob

what?? Of course I will be happy if Minho plays Noaaaaaa

i used that meme thinking if the other actor played Noa:joy:

• Like 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

spacer.png

Actor Jung Woong-in, who recently finished SBS drama "Fly Dragon," will fly abroad to film "Pachinko" by Apple TV 

Q: I'm curious about the story of 'Pachinko.

"I'm leaving the country for a shoot. It's a really new challenge for me. I'm very excited to experience a different production and filming environment than in Korea. It's a shame that I can't explain my role yet. I will do my best to make a good work with Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jung."

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210126/105123920/3

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1