[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

On 10/31/2020 at 9:45 PM, gtLmh0622 said:

Korea Tourism Organization's promotion video for Andong :

perfect setting.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:21 PM, CarolynH said:

I finally have a copy of Pachinko!  I found it at our city's used book store for $1.50.  I couldn't believe my good fortune when I found the book.  

Sorry, if someone posted this, but this excited me.  Caroline Kennedy introduced Min Jin Lee at the Martha's Vineyard Book Festival in 2017.  Caroline Kennedy had this to say about our Hansu "....I also want to congratulate the author on creating a great romantic hero in Hansu:  he is Heathcliff, Percy Blakeney, Mr. Darcy, Rhett Butler all rolled into one--with a gangster twist.  And the real reason I am here is because, even though I know he is a fictional character, I was hoping that somehow I might get to meet him...."  Usually, I don't read any prefaces to a book, I just dive in chapter 1.  I think Caroline Kennedy's name caught my eye, so I read what she wrote.  Now, I am excited to meet Hansu!

Sounds fascinating but Aleumdaun has a different take from Caroline Kennedy though.  Definitely not Darcy, Heathcliff or Rhett Butler in my mind.  They did not bash any woman in the head.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:19 AM, Aleumdaun said:

Yay @CarolynH. Glad you got your hands on the book. 

I have just finished reading Pachinko. It was a really good and it deserves all the praise it is getting.  It is a story that will resonate with many many immigrants, all over the world.

That said - the novel has so many characters - though Sunja is the main character, there are stories of many other characters and Hansu doesn’t even have that much of a solid presence like that of Noa or Moses or Solomon gets.

He is the catalyst in my view, so there isn’t much need for him. The story moves because of him at each point and his presence is scattered through out but we never get to see his life as much as the other characters. He is more like the background presence. Like@CarolynH points out - he is the sort of the great romantic hero but also a violent one. It would be hard not to fall for him - he seems to have that glamour and intelligence.  I too like @msdot wish Sunja had given him another chance - but those were the times then and Sunja wouldn’t have even considered it for the shame she would have brought to her sons and her family. Sunja wants to look pretty for him even when she gets on with age and I feel Hansu is the only who makes her feel this way.

I am sure LMH would make Hansu his own but honestly I couldn’t imagine him as Hansu - because LMH doesn’t seem to have that mean streak in him at all - so waiting to see how he delivers it.  I am ready to be floored. 

I have a feeling this would be like each episode one character kind of story & Sunja and Hansu might be ones linking them. It is more of an ensemble than a male lead female lead kind of story. Can’t wait though. Thanks to LMH I read a good book - even Obama’s list didn’t persuade me to take this. :)

You said  Hansu though a main character does not have a presence like Noa, Moses or Solomon.  So if they do not change the story much, I don't see LMH being in all 8 episodes or even 4 episodes. Noa, Moses is not mentioned in the casts so far. Maybe they are not included? Yeah, LMH does not have the mean streak, in GB, he was merciless but not mean. You could sympathize with him because of his situation. Hansu has all the benefits given to him and his meanness is not as forgiving as you would for KJD.  Yeah, Hansu is like the villainous brother Baek Yong Ki in GB but Yong Ki did not bash any woman in the head either. Like @kdyessaid in one of her earlier posts, that she is afraid that it might affect his image with some fans (or something to that effect). I fear that too but it would be interesting to see LMH doing that.  I am sure he could do it realistically but would that shock some of his fans who love his romantic persona???  I don't want him to lose his popularity because of that. I doubt he would win new fans.  Choi Young doing that???? :(. I am torn with wanting and not wanting that scene. On the whole, I rather they leave that out.

Caroline Kennedy must like bad boys :tounge_wink:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, CallieP said:

ounds fascinating but Aleumdaun has a different take from Caroline Kennedy though.  Definitely not Darcy, Heathcliff or Rhett Butler in my mind.  They did not bash any woman in the head.

Yeah, I'm curious too why she found Hansu so fascinating, so much so that she'd want to meet him.  I'm only on Book 2 1939-1962 hopefully he'll make another appearance soon.

• Like 7

What is this Apple TV drama "Pachinko" starring Lee Min Ho? (Feat. Review of the original book "Pachinko".

The Apple TV drama series "Pachinko" is a total of eight episodes starting October 26, "All Locations in Korea," and it looks like it plans to film in Canada and begin production. The original work features Korean, Japanese and American actors and is expected to contain the history of Korean immigrant families against the backdrop of the Japanese colonial period mentioned in the book.

wp4266269.jpg?type=w800

According to the article, Lee Min Ho will be playing the role of Hansu Go in Pachinko's original work.

In the original work, Hansu Go is portrayed as an opportunist.

“I am not Korean or Japanese. I am a person who makes good money. All are samurai. So if you believe in nonsense, this country will be destroyed? I am not telling you not to go to any group. But know, these communists don't care about you. Nobody cares about you. If you believe what they think of Chosun, you are crazy. "

Page 355

Do you like married women? Okay, then get rid of her husband or wait until the man dies.

Page 356

In fact, just by looking at his lines in the book and his profession, Yakuza, one can describe the character of Hansu Go. In terms of content, there is not much content in the original work where Hansu Go appears, but just seeing that the beginning of the disaster that Sunja suffers in Japan is Hansu Go, one can see that he is a very important figure in the development dramas.

According to the article, Asian Americans are in charge of the writers and directors of the drama, but I'm curious how the drama will be produced. Also, since Lee Min Ho plays an important role in the development of the drama, how Lee Min Ho is expected to express it.

Obama is on their Facebook said: "History does not matter, though, but ruined us" are captivating you from the first sentence, "the recommendation book and Pachinko's novel is not only the literary industry gained fame as the most popular.

The main content is the story of discrimination against immigrants in the immigration office and their lives. The story of a son who was born in Joseon who went to Japan to give birth to a child, her children, Isaac and mother-in-law, as well as the stories of their children.
In a sense, it is not surprising that Pachinko is highly regarded in foreign literature.
Because the main theme of the book is “discrimination”.

%ED%99%94%EB%A9%B4_%EC%BA%A1%EC%B2%98_20

Writer Lee Min Jin is said to have written a novel based on facts he heard from a Korean-American missionary and stories of Korean-Japanese descent who were interviewed while in Japan. In fact, when I read the book, I said "Wook" many times.
Your father may have worked for Fuji or Sony. However, I doubt that such a company will honor Koreans. In fact, young Columbia college student, I doubt you will find you too. In many places in Japan, Koreans still do not work as teachers, police officers or nurses. You make a lot of money and you can't even rent a room in Tokyo.
In my personal opinion, the content of discrimination against Koreans in a closed country of Japan compares to a situation where various immigrants live in the United States and Europe even today and are discriminated against as newcomers from the past to the present, and this seems to have formed a public consensus for abroad. to want.

Thanks to the book Pachinko, it was an opportunity to rethink the life of Koreans in Japan and the discrimination against immigrants, and we look forward to the day when the drama Pachinko airs on Apple TV ...

* The plot and content are shown below.

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=rlatjrwns123&logNo=222138150404&proxyReferer=https:%2F%2Ft.co%2F

• Like 10

17 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Yeah, I'm curious too why she found Hansu so fascinating, so much so that she'd want to meet him.  I'm only on Book 2 1939-1962 hopefully he'll make another appearance soon.

I'm at Part 2 too. Where Isak is back! The book has now become addicting!

• Like 7

On 11/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, CarolynH said:

I finally have a copy of Pachinko!  I found it at our city's used book store for $1.50.  I couldn't believe my good fortune when I found the book.  

Sorry, if someone posted this, but this excited me.  Caroline Kennedy introduced Min Jin Lee at the Martha's Vineyard Book Festival in 2017.  Caroline Kennedy had this to say about our Hansu "....I also want to congratulate the author on creating a great romantic hero in Hansu:  he is Heathcliff, Percy Blakeney, Mr. Darcy, Rhett Butler all rolled into one--with a gangster twist.  And the real reason I am here is because, even though I know he is a fictional character, I was hoping that somehow I might get to meet him...."  Usually, I don't read any prefaces to a book, I just dive in chapter 1.  I think Caroline Kennedy's name caught my eye, so I read what she wrote.  Now, I am excited to meet Hansu!

@CarolynH that is  interesting. coming from her! I’ve gotta agree with Caroline Kennedy! Most likely she will be watching the adaptation..thanks for this.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Joojix said:

@CarolynH that is  interesting. coming from her! I’ve gotta agree with Caroline Kennedy! Most likely she will be watching the adaptation..thanks for this.

I hope she does along with the Obamas.  I hope LMH is the Hansu that Caroline K has in mind (although I think LMH is more handsome than the description of Hansu). A favorable review by either of them would definitely help.  

• Like 9

"Pachinko" Writer Starring Lee Min Ho Shares Details on Actor's Character

0000064710.jpg

Lee Min Ho looks set to return to the drama screen with his latest title, "Pachinko." Min Jin Lee, author of "Pachinko," talks about the actor's character details.

Kanal247.com - Lee Min Ho is definitely not a foreign name for lovers of Korean drama. This actor manages to look amazing in every drama he plays. Since his appearance in Boys Over Flower, Min Ho has always appeared with a handsome and wealthy personality.

Even in his latest drama, The King: Eternal Monarch, Lee Min Ho has once again managed to gain the attention of international fans because of his deadly charisma. In the drama, which also stars Kim Go Eun, the 33-year-old actor plays Lee Gon, King of the Kingdom of Korea. known for being rich and handsome.

Unsurprisingly, his charisma as an actor manages to amaze every pair of eyes. Now he is also ready to greet fans with his latest drama "Pachinko". Min Jin Lee, screenwriter for "Pachinko", told Hyphen Magazine the details of Lee Min Ho's character.

Lee Min Ho is known to play the character Ko Hansu. He is a very strong, charismatic and tough person. Even Min Jin Lee also admitted that he idolized the character of Ko Hansu himself. He is an intellectual and a philosopher with a strong work ethic.

“Characters like Sabina and Hansu are in the highest echelons of the world. Strong and influential people are very similar because they have a clear code of conduct that is often not negotiable, ”explained Min Jin Lee. "Ko Hansu seems to be one of the most interesting characters I've ever met in literature, and perhaps my favorite character in the whole novel is very interesting, charismatic, cool."

“But then you see that his more sinister aspect is not really a character that should be evil or criminal, but because he has so much power and resources, and is also ambitious and disciplined, smart and talented, he just can't handle it. to do it, ”the author continued. “I think Hansu doesn't have a traditional immigrant concern because he is not someone who is obsessed with ordinary money and security. He is an intellectual and a philosopher and I think he is happy to have a flow of genius with a strong work ethic in his own blood. "

google translation

https://www.kanal247.com/media/konten/0000064710.html

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

@Joojix Thanks for the yt videos on the actors of Pachinko. Here are more videos from the other actors. 

Vin Diesel saying such nice words about Anna Sawai (playing Naomi in Pachinko) from the Fast & Furious 9 set

And Kaho Minami (playing Etsuko) actually starred in a movie with Josh Hartnett.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:04 AM, Senseandstyle said:

Still curious who will be playing Isak and Noa.. and who is Naomi??

Perhaps, it will slightly deviate from the book and naomi wil have something to do with Solomon? 

It seems like the tv adaptation will focus more on the younger generation? (And not on Sunja's and family's struggles in the early days?) 

Hmmm.. can't wait. 

@Senseandstyle Hello! Naomi's character is not in the novel. And no announcement yet on who will play Isak or Noa. So far, the announced cast already encompasses three generations. With these details, the tv adaptation is indeed intriguing!

@Lee taemin 123 welcome to the thread. Enjoy your reading!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1

Another interesting interview of LMJ on Pachinko from Hyphen Magazine.

https://hyphenmagazine.com/blog/2017/10/interview-min-jin-lee-ordinary-history-and-pachinko

TT:  Koh Hansu appears to be one of the most interesting characters I've encountered in literature and probably my favorite one in the entire novel — very compelling, charismatic, cool, but you later see his more villainous aspects — really not a character intending to be evil or criminal, but because he wields so much power and resources and is ambitious as well as disciplined, intelligent and talented, he just can't help it. I also found in Koh Hansu some similarities to the character of Sabine Gottesman from Millionaires, who was, quoting a line from that novel, "fairy godmother, mentor and bad cop" to Casey Han. Koh Hansu seems to be a gangster godfather, mentor and good cop/bad cop to many characters in the book as well.

pachinko_0.jpg?itok=wbdZiT3A

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

[Shipping to Apple TV +! ] Summary and Summary of New Drama "Pachinko" Starring Lee Min Ho and Kaho Minami

20201030-getty_539419580.jpg

It has been announced that Apple TV + will film a drama based on the hit novel Pachinko, published in the US! Lee Min Ho and Minami Kaho will be cast and filmed around the world. In this article we have collected the latest information such as synopsis and composition of such a popular work!

The original is a great bestselling novel that has received a lot of attention in the US!

img_8df55f62744e344ca82c701a246c04c66013

Pachinko has been a hot topic in the US since it was published in the US in 2017.
This piece, called Pachinko in Japanese, was written by Lee Min Jin, a Korean American living in the United States.

Born in Seoul, Minjin moved to New York City with her family at the age of seven. A highly talented graduate of Yale University and Georgetown University School of Law, she also worked as a lawyer in the United States before committing to writing.

I lived in Tokyo from 2007 to 2011 and taught at Waseda University and the American Center for the American Embassy. Also, my husband Christopher is half Japanese.

Her debut work, Free Food for a Millionaire, published in 2007, found acclaim in many newspapers and magazines, and this Pachinko did not disappoint, and its gripping story became a hot topic in the United States. .. This work was selected as a finalist in the Fiction category of the 2017 National Book Award, one of the most prestigious literary awards in the United States ...

translation from Japanese Google

https://korea.kaigai-drama-board.com/posts/1428?p=1

• Like 8
  • Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

@Senseandstyle Hello! Naomi's character is not in the novel. And no announcement yet on who will play Isak or Noa. So far, the announced cast already encompasses three generations. With these details, the tv adaptation is indeed intriguing!

Hi! Yes, i know that naomi is not in the novel (i have read the book). That is why i'm confused with the casting announcement. Based on her character description in the press release, i am assuming that she's linked to Solomon's story. 

13 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I wonder which one Andong Hahoe Village is supposed to depict, Busan area or Osaka?  It looks too nice to be either of those areas.

I think Busan where  Sunja's boarding house is located and the market where she met Hansu..:) 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

(Almost) everything you'd like to know about the OTT

It is said that the OTT war has become more heated due to changes in viewing habits because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Today, I'm going to talk to Rajegi, a film reporter, about almost everything you want to know about OTT.

-Please give me a brief explanation of the OTT.

"This service provides movies, dramas, and other videos on the Internet without cable TV, IPTV, or satellite broadcasting receiver 'set-top box'." Netflix is the epitome. But we've been enjoying it for a long time, and the YouTube that we use a lot is OTT. You can watch YouTube on your smartphone, PC, smart TV, etc. without needing a special receiver. The difference is that Netflix is based on paid services and YouTube is based on free services. There's a YouTube Premium, a paid service that allows you to watch YouTube without advertising."

-I heard Apple has an OTT business, so how good is it?

"Apple entered the video streaming business based on the existing set-top box called Apple TV. They are working with legendary director Steven Spielberg and famous host, actor, and broadcast producer Oprah Winfrey to develop various video content. The name of OTT is Apple TV Plus. It was launched last November. But it hasn't reached Korea yet. An estimated 40 million people worldwide are paid members. Recently, the production of a drama called 'Pachinko' with Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin was announced. Hallyu star Lee Min-ho was cast and made headlines in Korea."

The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the way video content is consumed. The U.S. OTT's entry into the Korean market is bound to intensify. It is expected to lead the change of perception in the Korean video industry. "

https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2020110914390003534?did=NA

style_5fa36dacd10c5.jpg

Apple TV Plus Wants Korean Content

Recently, Apple's OTT service, Apple TV+, which is preparing to be released in Korea by adding Korean subtitles to all original content, sent a series of love calls to Korean actors and directors. The second original content of Apple TV+, where you'll meet familiar faces.

Actor Lee Min-ho has been confirmed to star in "Pachinko," which had been on the production list since the launch of Apple TV+. Based on a novel of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, the drama deals with the hard life and identity of Korean immigrants who moved to Japan and the United States after the Japanese colonial period. The novel was introduced to influential media such as "Book of the Year" selected by the New York Times in 2107 and was nominated as the final candidate for the National Book Award. In the eight-part series of Apple TV Plus [Pachinko], Lee plays the main character Hansu. He is a secret merchant who has built up wealth and power by establishing ties with criminal organizations, and a man who pursues taboo love.

In addition, Asian actors have been cast for major characters. Kim Min-ha, who is a new actor who made her debut in the film "After Spring," plays Sunja, a heroic teenager who pioneers her way.

We look forward to the great journey of [Pachinko], which will deal with war, peace, love and separation, victory and judgment, going back and forth between Korea, Japan and the United States. At the end of October, they started filming in Korea.

http://www.gqkorea.co.kr/2020/11/06/한국-콘텐츠-욕심내는-애플-tv-플러스/?utm_source=naver&utm_medium=partnership

@Senseandstyle Yes, you're right, Naomi might be linked to Solomon. Based on the character description of Naomi, i.e., "a savvy career woman in the male-dominated world of high finance," this gives a sense of her living in the modern times, so indeed, she might be linked to Solomon.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/5/2020 at 10:20 PM, CallieP said:

perfect setting.

Sounds fascinating but Aleumdaun has a different take from Caroline Kennedy though.  Definitely not Darcy, Heathcliff or Rhett Butler in my mind.  They did not bash any woman in the head.

You said  Hansu though a main character does not have a presence like Noa, Moses or Solomon.  So if they do not change the story much, I don't see LMH being in all 8 episodes or even 4 episodes. Noa, Moses is not mentioned in the casts so far. Maybe they are not included? Yeah, LMH does not have the mean streak, in GB, he was merciless but not mean. You could sympathize with him because of his situation. Hansu has all the benefits given to him and his meanness is not as forgiving as you would for KJD.  Yeah, Hansu is like the villainous brother Baek Yong Ki in GB but Yong Ki did not bash any woman in the head either. Like @kdyessaid in one of her earlier posts, that she is afraid that it might affect his image with some fans (or something to that effect). I fear that too but it would be interesting to see LMH doing that.  I am sure he could do it realistically but would that shock some of his fans who love his romantic persona???  I don't want him to lose his popularity because of that. I doubt he would win new fans.  Choi Young doing that???? :(. I am torn with wanting and not wanting that scene. On the whole, I rather they leave that out.

Caroline Kennedy must like bad boys :tounge_wink:

@CallieP, I think he will be present in most of the episodes, if not all, but in very limited scenes. He is important for the story to move but it is not his story, - that is why I assume that - if they go by the novel. 

in my opinion, Hansu is the most charismatic character in the story - manipulative yes, but we cannot ignore his presence. His character evokes feelings - shock & awe may be.. yet compelling. You would like to know why he does things his way.. and wonder if he is a good guy or a baddie. Rest of the characters, I mostly felt sympathy for them..  especially Noa.. it was there from the beginning that Noa is not going to take his birth secret well.

I felt that the novel is really a melange of lots of different characters and their stories all thrown in together, - Sunja and Hansu hold the thread together. It is not even completely Sunja’s story cos towards the end, there are so many other characters who take up space and Sunja is just in the background.  So many characters, you really wouldn’t know who you were rooting for, IMO. The story is about many generations and their struggles, it would be hard to reduce it to a male and female lead kind of drama. Each main character needs to have their story told in full.. so each episode might focus on one or two characters with Sunja and Hansu always present in their lives. 

Also not sure if LMH would play Noa..it would be interesting and I would be happy to see LMH in dual roles, but in my opinion it might negatively impact both the characterizations, if not properly told. Let’s see how it plays out, can’t wait.

• Like 9
  • Wiggle 1