[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

24 minutes ago, Aleumdaun said:

I am sure LMH would make Hansu his own but honestly I couldn’t imagine him as Hansu - because LMH doesn’t seem to have that mean streak in him at all - so waiting to see how he delivers it.  I am ready to be floored. 

Have you seen Gangnam 1970?  He's violent and murderous in that, although he doesn't hurt people out of personal pique, as Hansu did when he permanently scarred his air-head mistress and threw her away. I loved his performance in GB because it was such an out-of-type role for him. And he did great!

The first time I read Pachinko I didn't like it. I was so shocked by the grim reality of their lives and especially when the women kept telling other women that their life would be all suffering. And the first three husbands in the book all die early. But I just re-read it and liked it much more, although I was probably influenced by imagining LMH as Hansu!  

On 10/31/2020 at 5:54 AM, syntyche said:

Pachinko itself is a Japanese version of pinball and while pachinko parlours become the family business later in the novel, it also stands as a metaphor for the lives they lead. In a game of pinball, the initial strike of the ball against the flipper determines how the game will play out. For Sunja and her descendants, it is what happens at birth that determines their fate. Over the years they may bounce off the sides of the machine, ricocheting against the bumpers, kickers and slingshots, but there is a sense that fate has decided how their lives will develop from the moment the plunger hits the ball.

What a terrific, right-on metaphor!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, msdot said:

Have you seen Gangnam 1970?  He's violent and murderous in that, although he doesn't hurt people out of personal pique, as Hansu did when he permanently scarred his air-head mistress and threw her away. I loved his performance in GB because it was such an out-of-type role for him. And he did great!

The first time I read Pachinko I didn't like it. I was so shocked by the grim reality of their lives and especially when the women kept telling other women that their life would be all suffering. And the first three husbands in the book all die early. But I just re-read it and liked it much more, although I was probably influenced by imagining LMH as Hansu!  

What a terrific, right-on metaphor!

Yes, I did @msdot and KJD is my favorite role if I have to order LMH's performances. Yes, he was really violent in that movie but KJD's eyes always had this softness in them - he did whatever because it had to be done and it was because he put his adopted father and family first, not because he wanted to advance in the world.  He was not the total villain. But Hansu, has this selfish, mean streak and the calculating view of life, and doesn't flinch to take advantage of anyone to his benefit - which I haven't so far seen in any of LMH's performances. That is what I am looking forward to in LMH this time. 

KJD was a gangster but with a soft heart, IMO. Koh Hansu is going to be the opposite of it and it would be hard to sympathize with him. I can't wait to see what is LMH's take on Koh Hansu. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 4

8 hours ago, msdot said:

1 hour ago, Aleumdaun said:

Yes, I did @msdot and KJD is my favorite role if I have to order LMH's performances. Yes, he was really violent in that movie but KJD's eyes always had this softness in them - he did whatever because it had to be done and it was because he put his adopted father and family first, not because he wanted to advance in the world.  He was not the total villain. But Hansu, has this selfish, mean streak and the calculating view of life, and doesn't flinch to take advantage of anyone to his benefit - which I haven't so far seen in any of LMH's performances. That is what I am looking forward to in LMH this time. 

KJD was a gangster but with a soft heart, IMO. Koh Hansu is going to be the opposite of it and it would be hard to sympathize with him. I can't wait to see what is LMH's take on Koh Hansu. 

I agree, KJD is a gangster with a heart. I read a fan's review of Pachinko which said that, with LMH as Hansu, he has now become his villainous brother Baek Yong Ki in GB. And with that, I also can't wait to see how LMH will bring Hansu's character into life.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

I think @Aleumdaun hit the nail on the head when she identified character Hansu’s meanness as the central difference between him and other more “acceptable” bad guy characters like LMH’s in Gangnam 1970.  There’s no way to get around bludgeoning the face of a mistress Hansu is irritated by or finished with.  I hope they don’t delete this to make the character more acceptable because then Pachinko could be criticized for watering down a great book, “not as good as,” the typical criticism of movies and TV shows based on books.

I can’t wait for LMH to show us his Hansu but I don’t want to wait to hear his take on the character.  What’s he think about Hansu and why does he want to play Hansu?  Would be fascinating.  A hot button today that garners strong negative public opinion is giving the powerful and attractive a “pass” on unacceptable and brutal behavior because they are famous, sexy, run organizations, etc.   LMH and Pachinko will be criticized if he and the treatment are seen to be romanticizing a cruel and brutal person, even if the character is multi-faceted.  Hard not to get romantic with LMH, tho!   I hope that LMH breaks out of his image and hopefully the screenwriter and LMH can show us meanness and cruelty clearly and not wash over it.   Author Lee called Hansu a “bad” person.  Then we should feel ambivalent about Hansu and be repelled by repulsive acts.  It’s hard for anyone to be all-bad and Hansu sounds at his best with Sunja and Noa.  It seems that Sunja wisely recognized Hansu “still was who he was” when she passed on his marriage proposal later in life.

Isn’t the cast locked up for months on location?  Then was Movielog 2 shot beforehand?  If so, we had no idea LMH was busy preparing for his fans while he’d be out of pocket.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

22 hours ago, kdyes said:

I can’t wait for LMH to show us his Hansu but I don’t want to wait to hear his take on the character.  What’s he think about Hansu and why does he want to play Hansu?  Would be fascinating.  

Sorry to cut your post, @kdyes I too would like to know why he takes on Hansu amongst all the other scripts / roles offered to him, pretty sure he had many in his hands.  As I was reading the novel, it was clear Koh-san was desirous of Sunja - he was patient, taking his time in assessing and courting her till he got what he wanted but didn't expect the pregnancy. They both enjoyed each other company.  Sunja has fond memories of him, longing for his touch and presence, eagerly waiting for his return at the beach. Upon learning that she was pregnant, he genuinely wanted to take care of her but not as the legal wife, which got Sunja angry and disappointed, not only at him but with herself for being foolish, for being used.   She did not say that Hansu abandoned him, just that she didn't know he was married.  

Was it you @Aleumdaun who asked about the colour of Hansu's neatly combed hair?  :D

Spoiler

Hansu had the broad shoulders and the thick, strong torso of a larger man; his legs were not very long, but he was not short, either. Hansu was perhaps the same age as her mother, who was thirty-six. His tawny brow was creased lightly, and faded brown spots and freckles had settled on his sharp cheekbones. His nose—narrow, with a bump below a high bridge—made him look somewhat Japanese, and small, broken capillaries lay beneath the skin around his nostrils. More black than brown, his dark eyes absorbed light like a long tunnel, and when he looked at her, she felt an uncomfortable sensation in her stomach.

The Heirs - Korean Drama - AsianWiki  

Can't wait to see LMH as Koh Hansu  .. and how they would style him in 1930s.     Aissh, gotta wait till 2021.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

TV drama "Patinko"

According to the Korea Film Promotion Committee (KOFIC) News, Lee Min Ho took part in a show produced by Apple TV + This year, the television drama Pachinko was selected to participate in the KOFIC Overseas Audiovisual Competition program.

The KOFIC Overseas Audiovisual Placement Program is a unique program that provides 25% of films filmed by overseas film crews in South Korea over 10 days or more and invested at least 1 billion won (approximately US $ 880,000) in production costs ... Cash subsidy. The bounty program will offset eligible films of up to 3 billion won (approximately US $ 2.6 million) in grants and is one of the most competitive on-site incentives in the world.

007YvW4Ily1gkc3h0ljsmj30dh0gojw9.jpg

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4567227380011936

According to news from the official website of the Korea Film Promotion Commission (KOFIC), actor Lee Min Ho participated in a show produced by TV +. Pachinko was selected this year in the KOFIC competition for the placement of foreign audiovisual works.

The purpose of this incentive plan is to promote tourism and create related job opportunities and other economic benefits. It aims to encourage foreign audiovisual works to travel to South Korea for filming and also hopes to improve the production capacity of the film and television industry through the project. For works that meet the plan, in addition to filming more than three days in в, overseas and Chinese production costs must account for more than 80% of production costs.

b01256c8gy1gkc43gjadxj20tz24tgtc.jpg

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4567203343239190

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

"Pachinko" filming location - Andong Hahoe Folk Village

The scale looks very big. People passing by were wondering what the this filming was. Lee Min Ho Fighting!

cr: DC via lmh_kig

El4Kmm7UcAA3YjV?format=jpg&name=small

El4KngIVMAADDDZ?format=jpg&name=small

A large-scale filming crew came to Andong Hahoe Folk Village for an American drama called "Pachinko" produced by Apple TV. This drama is based on a novel that depicts the ups and downs of Koreans residing in Japan.

cr: 大_薯- via lmh_kig

El2JB9EUYAEDlKy?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

Historic Villages of Korea: Hahoe and Yangdong

Hahoe Village, along with Yangdong Village in Gyeongju, was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List under the category of “Historic Villages in Korea” on July 31, 2010.

Founded in the 14th-15th centuries, Hahoe and Yangdong are seen as the two most representative historic clan villages in the Republic of Korea. Their layout and location - sheltered by forested mountains and facing out onto a river and open agricultural fields – reflect the distinctive aristocratic Confucian culture of the early part of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). The villages were located to provide both physical and spiritual nourishment from their surrounding landscapes. They include residences of the head families, together with substantial timber framed houses of other clan members, also pavilions, study halls, Confucian academies for learning, and clusters of one story mud-walled, thatched-roofed houses, formerly for commoners. The landscapes of mountains, trees and water around the village, framed in views from pavilions and retreats, were celebrated for their beauty by 17th and 18th century poets.

Both Hahoe Village and Yangdong Village have been protected under the National Heritage Protection Act since 1984.

This national protection has been strengthened by the following national directives or guidance: Mid- and Long-term Vision of the Cultural Heritage Policy: Cultural Heritage 2011 (2007); Detailed Implementation Plan for the Conservation, Utilization and Comprehensive Maintenance of Folk Villages (2004).

site_1324_0001-750-0-20151105160637.jpg

site_1324_0004-500-330-20151105160639.jp

site_1324_0021-500-334-20170109154327.jp

Spoiler

site_1324_0026-500-334-20170109154333.jp

site_1324_0020-500-334-20170109154326.jp

site_1324_0024-500-334-20170109154331.jp

site_1324_0023-500-334-20170109154329.jp

site_1324_0027-500-334-20170109154334.jp

Hahoe Village is home to descendants of the Ryu clan of Pungsan and is well-known for its traditional houses. Birthplace of renowned scholars of the Joseon period such as Gyeomam Ryu Un-ryong and Seoae Ryu Seong-ryong, the village became even more famous after Queen Elizabeth of England visited on April 21, 1999.

Hahoe Village (translating to “Village Enveloped by Water”) gets its name from Nakdonggang River, which flows around the town’s perimeter. The village is located at the foothills of Hwasan Mountain, an offshoot of Taebaek Mountain that rises up to the east. The center of the village is populated by large tile-roofed houses belonging to the Ryu clan, adding their own unique charm to the surrounding thatched roofs.

Hahoe Village boasts exquisite scenic sights: the elegant Nakdonggang River flowing around the village, the magnificent Buyongdae Cliff, endlessly unfolding sandy beaches, and lush, ancient pine trees. Visitors can take the boat to Buyongdae Cliff for a panoramic view of the village.

In addition to breathtaking scenery, Hahoe Village offers delectable local delicacies. Try the Andong Soju (distilled alcoholic beverage), Heotjesabap (a type of Bibimbap eaten by the nobles), Andong Gangodeungeo (salted mackerel), and Andong Guksu (a kind of noodle dish).

Nearby attractions include Bongjeongsa Temple (built during the Silla Period), Gosanseowon Confucian Academy, Gwiraejeong, Gyemyeongsan Mountain Recreational Forest, Hakgasan Mountain Recreational Forest, and Waryongsan Mountain.

Hahoe Village, along with Yangdong Village in Gyeongju, was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List under the category of “Historic Villages in Korea” on July 31, 2010.

As the village is a popular tourist site in Andong, entertaning performances take place year round. In addition, the Andong Mask Dance Festival is also held every autumn.

cr: Seong Joon Cho,Ko Hon Chiu Vincent

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1324/gallery/&index=25&maxrows=12

https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264148

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

The domestic broadcasting and film markets are causing tectonic fluctuations. Encouraged by Netflix's advance into Korea in 2016, other OTT service companies in the U.S. are planning to enter Korea, and Korean companies are also entering the OTT market through acquisitions, alliances, and exchange of shares with existing content companies. In particular, e-commerce companies are attracting attention recently. It is positive for now that companies with the same vision have joined forces to lay the foundation for more stable and continuous content production.

U.S. OTT service companies, which will put the brakes on Netflix's dominance, are also scheduled to enter the Korean market. Disney Plus will launch its service in Korea next year, while Apple TV+ will launch its original series "Pachinko" starring Lee Min-ho and "Mr. Robin" directed by Kim Ji-woon to tap into the Korean market.

The domestic drama market is not without a wind. As the leadership will be transferred to OTT rather than terrestrial channels due to changes in the media environment, the three terrestrial broadcasters have decided to drastically reduce the production and programming of dramas next year. As a result, the number of dramas produced by MBC, KBS and SBS, which have shown 11, 16 and 13 dramas this year, respectively, is expected to decrease by more than 10 next year. This is due to the continued decline in ratings and advertising revenue due to the emergence of various digital platforms such as OTT.

https://www.yeongnam.com/web/view.php?key=20201104010000516

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Wiggle 1

On 10/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, msdot said:

I just finished re-reading Pachinko, and I hope they don’t “pretty up” the role of Hansu, or only cover a few years of his life. Hansu is deeply cynical about the world and people in general, and can be very violent. When he has sex with young Sunja, he’s simply taking his pleasure; he’s affectionate and kind, but not particularly interested in what turns her on sexually. On the other hand, he truly falls in love with her and looks out for her and Noa throughout the rest of his life, although she always rebuffs him. He even offers to marry her after his wife has died; by then they are both quite a bit older.  These different sides of him are what make his character so interesting, and they play out over 35 years or so.

I’m a bit concerned that the author has dropped out of the project. To me that signals that they’re changing the story quite a bit. I just hope we don’t lose the complexity in Hansu’s character. I think LMH will be terrific in the role and I’m also intrigued to see how he ages himself.

Thanks @msdot for your short recap.

• Like 2

Lee Min Ho Super Talk 【Jᴜsᴛ Trivial】 Pachinko Super Talk Series
[# 柏青 哥 Related 科普 #Era Science ∣Mid 1940-1962]

After moving to Osaka, Han Xiu reappeared in Shunji's life

Follow Han Xiu in the 1940s (Image ① ~ Image ③)

▶ Han Xiu in 40 Years in Gray Woolen Suit and Black Coat

b01256c8gy1gkda4hr7i8j20u01hc7h7.jpg

b01256c8gy1gkda4m62cdj20u01hcna4.jpg

https://m.weibo.cn/p/index?containerid=100808e461d3bca3515806887e61e82f4a2831&extparam=电视剧柏青哥Pachinko&luicode=10000011&lfid=1076033960909351

• Like 5

Still curious who will be playing Isak and Noa.. and who is Naomi??

Perhaps, it will slightly deviate from the book and naomi wil have something to do with Solomon? 

It seems like the tv adaptation will focus more on the younger generation? (And not on Sunja's and family's struggles in the early days?) 

Hmmm.. can't wait. 

• Like 5

I finally finished Pachinko via Kindle online and it’s a phenomenal read! The last time I saw an American movie/tv Production of a multi generation ensemble of this kind (Asian) was probably Amy Tan’s The Joy Luck Club (excellent film and book!) so it’s a good project altogether

Also its interesting to note that the lead actor, Jin Ha, is a stage thespian and has played Aaron Burr for Hamilton  Chicago production (who doesn’t love Hamilton!)  and also played lead in M Butterfly Broadway production ( good news for theatre buffs!) 

Here’s a short documentary on Jin Ha:

The cast is diverse and Kim Min Ha, the rookie, looks like a serious actor and has acted in a string of indie movies... here’s one trailer of her work for a small indie film:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/2/2020 at 11:58 PM, Min2206 said:

Sorry to cut your post, @kdyes I too would like to know why he takes on Hansu amongst all the other scripts / roles offered to him, pretty sure he had many in his hands.  As I was reading the novel, it was clear Koh-san was desirous of Sunja - he was patient, taking his time in assessing and courting her till he got what he wanted but didn't expect the pregnancy. They both enjoyed each other company.  Sunja has fond memories of him, longing for his touch and presence, eagerly waiting for his return at the beach. Upon learning that she was pregnant, he genuinely wanted to take care of her but not as the legal wife, which got Sunja angry and disappointed, not only at him but with herself for being foolish, for being used.   She did not say that Hansu abandoned him, just that she didn't know he was married.  

Was it you @Aleumdaun who asked about the colour of Hansu's neatly combed hair?  :D

Hide contents

Hansu had the broad shoulders and the thick, strong torso of a larger man; his legs were not very long, but he was not short, either. Hansu was perhaps the same age as her mother, who was thirty-six. His tawny brow was creased lightly, and faded brown spots and freckles had settled on his sharp cheekbones. His nose—narrow, with a bump below a high bridge—made him look somewhat Japanese, and small, broken capillaries lay beneath the skin around his nostrils. More black than brown, his dark eyes absorbed light like a long tunnel, and when he looked at her, she felt an uncomfortable sensation in her stomach.

Can't wait to see LMH as Koh Hansu  .. and how they would style him in 1930s.     Aissh, gotta wait till 2021.  

@Min2206.. yes and thank you for that. I can’t wait to see him as Hansu as well - if he throws in a Noa as well, I am not complaining. :doggie:

• Like 7