Jump to content

[Upcoming Drama 2021] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - on Apple TV+


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pachinko   Profile Drama: Pachinko Hangul: 파친코 Author: Lee Min Jin Executive Producer & Screenwriter: Soo Hugh Directors: Kogonada & Justin Chon  N

Hansu believed that she’d been foolish for refusing to be his wife in Korea. What did it matter that he had a marriage in Japan?  .. }  Hansu in pachinko most not understand someone refusing h

Lee Min Ho Among Six Cast in ‘Pachinko’ Series at Apple   Apple has officially announced the cast for its “Pachinko” series, with Korean superstar Lee Min Ho among those starring in the seri

Forbes :  Apple’s ‘Pachinko’ Begins Production, Stars Lee Min-Ho

 

Apple’s international drama series Pachinko kicked off production on October 26 on multiple continents. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Min Jin Lee, it stars Lee Min-ho (Boys Over Flowers, The Heirs), Jin Ha (Devs, Love Life), Anna Sawai (Fast & Furious 9, Ninja Assassin) and Minha Kim (Call, After Spring), among others.

Pachinko, Min Jin Lee’s second novel, was one of The New York Times ’ 10 best books of 2017 and a finalist for the National Book Award for fiction. Former president Barack Obama also included the novel in his list of book recommendations for 2019, after the novel was suggested to him by a “young staffer” on his team. He praised the book as “a powerful story about resilience and compassion.”

Set in the 20th century, Pachinko follows four generations of a Korean family as they move to Japan, amid the country’s colonization of Korea and other seismic political and cultural shifts. Apple won the rights to the adaptation following a multiple-party bidding war, as first reported in The Hollywood Reporter in August 2018. The series has one of the biggest budgets among Apple’s current slate.

 

Apple’s series will feature eight episodes, with four episodes directed by the South Korea-born Kogonada, who is known for his video essays on directors like Wes Anderson and Stanley Kubrick and for his debut film Columbus. Another four episodes will be directed by Justin Chon, whose previous work includes Gook (2017) and Ms. Purple (2019). Pachinko will be told in Korean, Japanese and English.

Soo Hugh will executive produce and serve as showrunner. She previously worked as a co-showrunner on The Terror and also contributed to The Killing and Under the Dome. Media Res, helmed by former HBO exec Michael Ellenberg, is producing Pachinko.

 

Here are the character descriptions for Pachinko:

Lee Min-ho portrays Hansu, an enigmatic outsider and merchant with ties to organized crime who embarks on an illicit romance with far-reaching consequences. Jin Ha has been cast as Solomon, an ambitious, charming young man who will be forced to reckon with his family’s past.

Anna Sawai will play Naomi, a savvy career woman in the male-dominated world of high finance. Minha Kim will play the teenage Sunja, a heroic young woman on the cusp who forges her own path in a hardened country that is not her own. Soji Arai will play Mosazu, a dedicated father and successful businessman, concerned for his son’s future. Kaho Minami will portray Etsuko, a vibrant, independent woman who longs to be reunited with her estranged daughter.

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saramerican/2020/10/27/apples-pachinko-begins-production-stars-lee-min-ho/#723a96e556c1

 

  • Like 7
  • Wiggle 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

So my question : Who is Hansu's wife in cast? Is she here? Or they changed drama ?Mayn't Hansu married in drama?

I have the same question :D 

 

so his wife may not have a significant role and has a small role throughout the drama. Or maybe they changed the story so Han Su isn’t married. But the question is how can the script writer show Hansu “embarking on an illicit romance”? Illicit means forbidden by law, rules, or custom. 
 

anyone has any idea or guess!?

 

edit: I don’t mind if the writer has changed the story and Han Su isn’t married. There maybe some other ways to show this type of romance.:approves:

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rookie-actress-Kim-Min-ha-cast-alongside

 

Quote

Kim Min-ha has signed up to play the teenage version of Sun-ja, the female protagonist in the series. She is a heroic young woman who is driven to draw her own path, both in life and in love. Kim is fairly new in the entertainment industry.

Quote

Lee Min-Howho is best known for his unparalleled performances in the hit dramas Boys Over Flowers (2009), The Legend of the Blue Sea (2016–2017), and The King: Eternal Monarch (2020), is confirmed to portray Koh Hansu, a man born in Korea who later got adopted into a rich and prominent Japanese family.

 

source: https://www.kdramapal.com/rookie-actress-kim-min-ha-cast-alongside-lee-min-ho-apple-tv-global-series-pachinko/

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

I have the same question :D 

 

so his wife may not have a significant role and has a small role throughout the drama. Or maybe they changed the story so Han Su isn’t married. But the question is how can the script writer show Hansu “embarking on an illicit romance”? Illicit means forbidden by law, rules, or custom. 
 

anyone has any idea or guess!?

 

edit: I don’t mind if the writer has changed the story and Han Su isn’t married. There maybe some other ways to show this type of romance.

 

There is no cast of Sunja's husband Isak either. And no adult Sunja but his son Mozasu and grandson Solomon are the main roles ????
Too many questions, if it's from Solomon to look back what happened in those old days ? Otherwise I can't connect Solomon to Hansu without Noah being a main role. 
That's why I'm hesitating to buy the novel, seems there will be lots of difference between the drama and novel.

 

  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

 

There is no cast of Sunja's husband Isak either. And no adult Sunja but his son Mozasu and grandson Solomon are the main roles ????
Too many questions, if it's from Solomon to look back what happened in those old days ? Otherwise I can't connect Solomon to Hansu without Noah being a main role. 

 


Good observation and points! I haven’t read the book so I would

have to read Wikipedia lol

 

i think they somehow have changed the roles and only these 6 actors will have significant presence. 
 

I don’t know if Isak has a lot of presence in the novel, but if there is no announcement for his role, it means the producers don’t want to adapt his character in the book into drama as much.

 

i think what you said about Solomon makes sense, he maybe the narrator of the story. and I guess Noah will be in the background. I think scriptwriter doesn’t wanna focus on Hansu’s kids and grandkid. The focus of the drama must be  on Hansu generation
and not the kids. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gtLmh0622 said:

 

There is no cast of Sunja's husband Isak either. And no adult Sunja but his son Mozasu and grandson Solomon are the main roles ????
Too many questions, if it's from Solomon to look back what happened in those old days ? Otherwise I can't connect Solomon to Hansu without Noah being a main role. 
That's why I'm hesitating to buy the novel, seems there will be lots of difference between the drama and novel.

 


I’m also wondering where KyungHee and Yoseob are. They’ve not been casted either. A lot of main characters are missing from the cast. Either they are omitted from the story, which will change it drastically, or they have been casted but they’re new actors so were not announced. 
 

I am so confused :blink:

  • Like 7
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished re-reading Pachinko, and I hope they don’t “pretty up” the role of Hansu, or only cover a few years of his life. Hansu is deeply cynical about the world and people in general, and can be very violent. When he has sex with young Sunja, he’s simply taking his pleasure; he’s affectionate and kind, but not particularly interested in what turns her on sexually. On the other hand, he truly falls in love with her and looks out for her and Noa throughout the rest of his life, although she always rebuffs him. He even offers to marry her after his wife has died; by then they are both quite a bit older.  These different sides of him are what make his character so interesting, and they play out over 35 years or so.

 

I’m a bit concerned that the author has dropped out of the project. To me that signals that they’re changing the story quite a bit. I just hope we don’t lose the complexity in Hansu’s character. I think LMH will be terrific in the role and I’m also intrigued to see how he ages himself.

  • Like 11
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, msdot said:

I just finished re-reading Pachinko, and I hope they don’t “pretty up” the role of Hansu, or only cover a few years of his life. Hansu is deeply cynical about the world and people in general, and can be very violent. When he has sex with young Sunja, he’s simply taking his pleasure; he’s affectionate and kind, but not particularly interested in what turns her on sexually. On the other hand, he truly falls in love with her and looks out for her and Noa throughout the rest of his life, although she always rebuffs him. He even offers to marry her after his wife has died; by then they are both quite a bit older.  These different sides of him are what make his character so interesting, and they play out over 35 years or so.

 

I’m a bit concerned that the author has dropped out of the project. To me that signals that they’re changing the story quite a bit. I just hope we don’t lose the complexity in Hansu’s character. I think LMH will be terrific in the role and I’m also intrigued to see how he ages himself.


Thanks @msdot for your short recap.   It appears Koh Hansu remained with his wife till her death before he proposed to Sunja.  That shows he is concerned with love (or was it a responsibility with guilt) for her.

About the author dropping out of the project, there is no confirmation yet, right?

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msdot said:

I just finished re-reading Pachinko, and I hope they don’t “pretty up” the role of Hansu, or only cover a few years of his life. Hansu is deeply cynical about the world and people in general, and can be very violent. When he has sex with young Sunja, he’s simply taking his pleasure; he’s affectionate and kind, but not particularly interested in what turns her on sexually. On the other hand, he truly falls in love with her and looks out for her and Noa throughout the rest of his life, although she always rebuffs him. He even offers to marry her after his wife has died; by then they are both quite a bit older.  These different sides of him are what make his character so interesting, and they play out over 35 years or so.

 

I’m a bit concerned that the author has dropped out of the project. To me that signals that they’re changing the story quite a bit. I just hope we don’t lose the complexity in Hansu’s character. I think LMH will be terrific in the role and I’m also intrigued to see how he ages himself.

 

I don't think she ever was part of the production team she sold the rights to apple and they will do an adaption of it. So there can't technically be any drop outs and Overall in my opinion she is pretty happy to get her work brought to live and put on the biggest platform with a stellar cast. Her work is getting a global recognition and she is probably pleased with this making it big time.  It's every authors dream to have their work recognized and believe me not many authors or writers ever make it because it's only a few minority that make it this far who get this type of love and recognition

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ilmo yens said:

 

I don't think she ever was part of the production team she sold the rights to apple and they will do an adaption of it. So there can't technically be any drop outs and Overall in my opinion she is pretty happy to get her work brought to live and put on the biggest platform with a stellar cast. Her work is getting a global recognition and she is probably pleased with this making it big time.  It's every authors dream to have their work recognized and believe me not many authors or writers ever make it because it's only a few minority that make it this far who get this type of love and recognition


Thanks for your input on the author @Ilmo yens- am relieved reading it- this sounds very encouraging.
:ilike:

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

But the question is how can the script writer show Hansu “embarking on an illicit romance”? Illicit means forbidden by law, rules, or custom. 

 

My Guess

 

A. Hansu is married and has Physical Relationship with a Teen---Illicit Morally.

B.Hansu and Sunja have a Kid--Illegimate in Law

C.Hansu Keeps on Chasing Sunja in pretence to look over her and His Son when she now is happily married--Illicit Affair.

 

I mean what angle of their Toxic Push pull Romance is Licit? Lol :wow2:

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • syntyche changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - on Apple TV+

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..