[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

20 hours ago, syntyche said:

It's a shame that I can't explain my role yet. I will do my best to make a good work with Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jung.

In my opinion, he will play older Hansu and LMH will switch to playing Noa.

Don't you think Jung Woong-in and LMH look a bit alike?

EssO0_uUwAAj-BI?format=jpg&name=smallEssO1H6UwAMOr4g?format=jpg&name=900x900

If so, even JWI would need to age up--if Youn Yuh-jung is playing older Sunja.

(And no one will have to worry about watching LMH as Hansu beating a woman.)

:dorashakes::dorashakes:

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 4
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, 1ouise said:

(And we won't have to worry about watching LMH as Hansu beating a woman.)

omg :scream: you have a point. that is really possibe.

i wish your interpretation to be true :approves:

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, 1ouise said:

(And we won't have to worry about watching LMH as Hansu beating a woman.

No, I don’t think they look alike even in the slightest:relieved: but,,,,,

I love the last point ,:joy::rickroll: 

I honestly don’t wanna see LMH beat a women, and I don’t think beating someone can have a significant impact on acting profile,,,

At what age does hansu beat a woman ?? :D Older age??

2 hours ago, 1ouise said:

LMH will switch to playing Noa

Thisssssssssss,,,,,,, :evilelmo:

also, that actor said he can’t explain his role, why not?? All casting news was quite specific pointing out the roles they will be portraying. Something smells fishy and I think Minoz @1ouisecan be right 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

A new character has been added, Mrs Holmes,,,,,

Although I might be wrong, I don't remember any Mrs. Holmes in the story, so I think there are some changes to the original story. 

By the way, I am the only one who is not worried to see LMH playing a harsh scene such as the beating? He is a wonderful actor and I wouldn't mind to see him playing a murderer or any other bad character. I think he has the talent to be convincing in any role or scene. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

31 minutes ago, Missprincesa said:

Although I might be wrong, I don't remember any Mrs. Holmes in the story, so I think there are some changes to the original story. 

By the way, I am the only one who is not worried to see LMH playing a harsh scene such as the beating? He is a wonderful actor and I wouldn't mind to see him playing a murderer or any other bad character. I think he has the talent to be convincing in any role or scene. 

me too i dont have problem with lmh playing that scene. im actually looking forward to seeing him do such scenes and i have said many times that i wish to see him play a violent character in his next works. i cant forget how cool he looked in gangnam blues beating the guy who confessed that youngi is the one who killed his father. even lmh seems to like it cuz he did put that scene on his mlog first episode.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Hi- I have only just realised there was a Pachinko thread! 

I think the beating is in the book to show the other side of Hansu. The book mainly concentrated on the good things Hansu does for Sunja and Noa - often secretly like Sunja and her sister in law getting work for the restaurant etc.  

Of course he is a master manipulator and the beating really shows him as a member of the yakuza.

I would like to see LMH portray both sides of this fascinating character.

Has there been any mention of Hanna in the character list- I thought her final scenes with Solomon were so touching.

• Like 8
  • Blob 2

1 minute ago, CarolynH said:

@leeminhosny!  That's the preface that I mentioned pages ago!  Thank you for finding the clip of Caroline Kennedy.  Oh, I hope LMH's Hansu is Caroline's Hansu!  I don't want the drama to deviate from the book too much since many loved the book.  Now I'm getting anxious:fearful:

Did she say "great roamntic hero" for Hansu?

• Like 4

Lee Min Ho said in his interview “Ko Hansu shines brightly”, what does he mean?

the woman in that video mentions Mr. Darcy and other memorable and loved characters,,, so Hansu is like a combination of all those characters. All those characters the lady mentions are romantic characters 

I have watched Pride and Prejudice, and Mr Darcy is a very charming character that women love a lot 

I think Hansu is Tsundere,,, I read his description character again and he seems to secretly help Sanju, his way of showing his love is so indirect and the style women fall for. That’s why the lady says he is a romantic hero. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Did she say "great roamntic hero" for Hansu?

Yes, and we know that's our LMH!  

7 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

I think Hansu is Tsundere,,, I read his description character again and he seems to secretly help Sanju, his way of showing his love is so indirect and the style women fall for. That’s why the lady says he is a romantic hero. 

Throughout the book, Hansu finds ways to help Sunja in the background.  Not only Sunja, but her family.  

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I remember Mr. Darcy is a bit cold character at first but he is very charming, I think he is also Tsundere. 

5 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

Throughout the book, Hansu finds ways to help Sunja in the background.  Not only Sunja, but her family.  

Oh, that’s very sweet :heart3:

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

“I would like to congratulate the birth of a very romantic hero character called "Hansu". He is the man who summarized Heathcliff and Fitzwilliam Darcy and Rhett Butler in one.”

The term "romantic hero" doesn't always refer to "romance.”

"The Romantic hero is a literary archetype referring to a character that rejects established norms and conventions, has been rejected by society, and has themselves at the center of their own existence.

“The Romantic hero first began appearing in literature during the Romantic period ... [when] the typical notion of the hero as upholding social order began to be challenged."  read more here

To understand this summary of Hansu, you need to know all three characters.  The good layer of Hansu can be compared to Darcy, but Hansu also has the dark and dishonorable layers of the other two characters. 

Min Jin Lee clearly stated that her Hansu is not a good man, though he is charming. 

We can only wait and see what Hansu in this adaptation will be like.  :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

Of all the characters in the book, [Min Jin Lee’s] favourites are two of the men: Hansu and Noa. Hansu is a smooth-talking yakuza, or gangster, of Korean origin who has been adopted into his wife's Japanese crime family. His morality is ambiguous, driving him to terrible acts of cruelty yet also generous support of other Korean immigrants. Noa is his illegitimate son, who grows up to reject and despise his Korean background, seeking to assimilate as a Japanese.

"I love Hansu because he's so real. He has such vitality. He has such confidence. Even though he's wrong, and he's immoral, there's an honesty about his wish to survive. I found that really telling. In the opposite way, I loved Noa too, because he was so principled, even though he was so inhumane in the end. I thought the thing that drove him to be acceptable and clean and pure and Japanese ultimately destroyed him. That was really interesting to me too, because I think all of us have that part of us that wishes to be accepted by being really really good at something."  source

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

spacer.png

Original novels "Pachinko 1" and "Pachinko 2" of the upcoming drama "Pachinko" ranked 12th and 14th, respectively, in "Top 77 Most Wanted to Know" bestsellers of Yes24.

http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=222164

Min Jin Lee and Alan Yang Join Forces for Netflix Series

spacer.png

Spoiler

Author Min Jin Lee and prolific screenwriter Alan Yang are teaming up. According to Variety, the two are bringing Lee’s Free Food for Millionaires to Netflix as a new series — hopefully one with a Netflix-size budget. The writer tweeted on January 26 that she wrote the pilot script adaptation with plans for Yang to produce it, and Netflix gave them the green light and a check. Free Food for Millionaires, Lee’s debut 2007 novel, takes place in 1990s Manhattan and follows Korean American Casey Han, “a strong-willed, Queens-bred daughter of Korean immigrants who is addicted to a glamorous Manhattan lifestyle she cannot afford. Fresh out of Princeton with an economics degree, no job, and a popular white boyfriend, Casey is determined to carve a space for herself in the glittering world.” There’s no set release date or any other details aside from the series being in the works with Netflix, but color us intrigued.

A decade after Free Food for Millionaires, Lee released Pachinko, another novel that will receive the series adaptation treatment over at Apple, with the cast and directors announced in October. Lee Min-ho (Boys Over Flowers, The Heirs), Jin Ha (Devs, Love Life) will lead the international ensemble drama series, which details the life of four generations of a Korean immigrant family as they navigate exile in Japan. 

https://www.vulture.com/2021/01/free-food-for-millionaires-tv-shows-netflix.html

spacer.png

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung won the Best Supporting Actress Award at the National Critics' Committee, recording a grand record of 20 U.S. acting awards.

Last year, Yoon Yeo-jung finished filming in Korea for an entertainment show and will leave for Canada the day after tomorrow to film "Pachinko" and stay for about two months.

https://www.mk.co.kr/news/culture/view/2021/01/87216/

Hey @Lindyloo421, glad you found this thread :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

Does anyone else on here already have apple tv+? 
We got our subscription free when we bought an apple product

and it was due to run out soon but I got an email today saying they were extending it free until July - which might just cover Pachinko. I guess they want to keep the numbers up.

I think this could be the role of his life (so far) and it bothers me how many 

people will actually see it as Apple TV is quite new. 

What does anyone else on here think?

• Like 3