[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

Hansu believed that she’d been foolish for refusing to be his wife in Korea. What did it matter that he had a marriage in Japan?  .. } 

Hansu in pachinko most not understand someone refusing his proposal in Korea :mrgreen:

MpwDlIl.gif

• LOL 18

2019 articles on the adaptation of Pachinko to the small screen:

'Pachinko' Picked Up to Series at Apple (Exclusive)

MARCH 14, 2019 3:23pm PT by Lesley Goldberg

soo_hugh__pachinko_cover_split-928x523.j

Sources say the eight-episode drama — the third show from Michael Ellenberg's Media Res — is among the biggest budgeted productions the iPhone maker has in the works.

The iPhone maker, ahead of its March 25 formal video announcement in Cupertino, California, has handed out an eight-episode series order to Pachinko. The title becomes the third series at Apple for Michael Ellenberg's Media Res.

The adaptation of Min Jin Lee's New York Times best-selling novel landed at Apple in August with a sizable script-to-series commitment following a multiple-outlet bidding war.

The book, one of the Times' 10 best of 2017 and a finalist for the National Book Award for fiction, chronicles the hopes and dreams of four generations of a Korean immigrant family. Described as epic in scope and intimate in tone, the story begins with a forbidden love and crescendos into a sweeping saga that journeys between Korea, Japan and America to tell the story of war and peace, love and loss, triumph and reckoning. The Apple drama, which comes with what is said to be a sizable premium show budget akin to Netflix's The Crown, will be told in three languages: Korean, Japanese and English. Sources say the series is among the biggest budgeted projects Apple currently has in the works.

Korean-American Soo Hugh (who oversaw on season one of the AMC anthology The Terror) penned the script, executive produces and serves as showrunner on the series. Author Lee will also be credited as an exec producer. Pachinko hails from Ellenberg's Media Res, which is also behind Apple's Reese Witherspoon-Jennifer Aniston morning show drama (the tech giant's entry into the scripted space) and the recently announced untitled Brie Larson CIA drama. Hugh was pursuing the rights to the novel at the same time that Media Res was doing the same. Media Res ultimately landed the rights for Hugh — who shared a vision for the series with the author to adapt the material.  Ellenberg will exec produce; the company's Dani Gorin will serve as a co-EP. As part of her deal for Pachinko, Hugh inked an overall deal with Media Res (the company's first-such pact). Sources say five outlets bid on the rights to the book.

Pachinko arrives as Crazy Rich Asians became a box office smash and pop culture hit. The feature film, based on Kevin Kwan's 2013 best-seller of the same name, is the first Asian-American-focused studio movie in 25 years. With its success, Crazy Rich Asians has opened the door for more culturally specific stories as it continues to reshape Hollywood. A sequel is in development. Pachinko, which will have an almost all-Asian cast as well, is tonally different from Crazy Rich Asians and is the more critically acclaimed of the two books. 

Pachinko becomes the latest high-profile TV project to land at Apple and joins a roster that includes series starring Chris Evans, Hailee Steinfeld, Sara Bareilles and Jennifer Garner and content from producers like J.J. Abrams, M. Night Shyamalan, Damien Chazelle and Ron Moore, among others.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/pachinko-picked-up-series-at-apple-1194524

“Pachinko” Adaptation Ordered to Series at Apple with Soo Hugh as Showrunner

March 15, 2019

hughterror.png

“Pachinko” is coming to the small screen. Apple has given a series order to a drama based on Min Jin Lee’s acclaimed bestselling novel, Deadline reports.

Published in 2017, “Pachinko” follows four generations of a Korean immigrant family. Described in its official synopsis as “a story of love, sacrifice, ambition, and loyalty,” the plot unfolds “from bustling street markets to the halls of Japan’s finest universities to the pachinko parlors of the criminal underworld,” and its “complex and passionate characters — strong, stubborn women, devoted sisters and sons, fathers shaken by moral crisis — survive and thrive against the indifferent arc of history.” According to the source, the series will be told in three languages: Korean, Japanese, and English.

Soo Hugh is writing, executive producing, and serving as showrunner on “Pachinko.” Besides her most recent gig as exec producer and co-showrunner on AMC’s “The Terror,” her other credits include “The Killing” and “The Whispers.”

Among many other honors, “Pachinko” was a finalist for the National Book Award for Fiction. “I think it’s not an accident that you don’t have that many Asian American women writers who are breaking out,” Lee has said. “I don’t think it’s an accident that you don’t have that many Asian American writers, either women or men. I don’t think that immigrants are encouraged to become artists. That’s very gendered and racialized and ethnicized. It’s not even just money, because in east Asia and southeast Asia and south Asia, our cultures aren’t encouraging women to speak about their stories. So it’s taken me a long time to say, ‘Okay, well this is what I’ve seen and I think it’s so worthwhile that I’m going to try to get it in print.’ I mean that’s an act of audacity, for somebody from my background!”

https://womenandhollywood.com/pachinko-adaptation-ordered-to-series-at-apple-with-soo-hugh-as-showrunner/

Hello @Layali, welcome to the thread :)

• Like 8
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 2

Lee Min Ho to Play The Lead Role for AppleTV+'s "Pachinko"

actor-lee-min-ho-will-play-the-lead-role

With his latest Lazada endorsement, you would probably want more of Lee Min Ho! Ladies, don't drool as he has been cast in AppleTV+'s "Pachinko." You read it right. You will see him in another lead role! 

Lee Min Ho has fans all over the world, and we cannot deny how popular he has been. He is one of the most followed Korean actors on Instagram, with over twenty million followers, and his Facebook page with more than 18 followers. These numbers show how influential he is in social media. 

No doubt his role as Go Jung Pyo He in the hit series "Boys Over Flowers" where he played this cold-hearted and heath-throb which gained him international recognition as the drama was just perfectly plotted and the role he played as Go Jung Pyo, the leader of the popular high school group F4, was just as perfect as well.

Mostly his roles would be a son a rich business, like in his hit series "The Heirs" with actress Park Shin Hye where fans were drooling as he was topless after surfing at the Santa Monica beach.

And his recent drama series "The King: Eternal Monarch" made many of his fans very happy as this was his comeback series after being discharged from the military enlistment last 2019. It is a known fact, based on surveys, that many Koreans did not like his latest series TKEM and were kind of disappointed with the storyline.

Nevertheless, his fans worldwide were all-out with supporting their favorite Oppa. You cannot bring Lee Min Ho down just because of negative comments.

Now, let's talk about his upcoming drama series "Pachinko". This novel became a finalist at the National Book Award for fiction in the same year it was published and a New York Times best-selling novel, written by Korean-American author Lee Min Jin. Although this book was published in 2017, it will have its early adaptation on the small screen.

Lee Min Jin's novel "Pachinko" was so good that the multibillion-dollar company Apple Inc.'s streaming service AppleTV+ bought the rights for a television adaptation of the novel, and now it is becoming a reality. Lee Min Ho will play the lead role.

The series will consist of 8 episodes. Though AppleTV+ may not yet be available in Korea, having Lee Min Ho play the lead in one of their series is making a lot of Koreans wonder if AppleTV+ may launch in Korea soon. Who knows, maybe AppleTV+ is of making its way to enter the Korean market!

Going back, "Pachinko" tells the journey of a Korean family who immigrated to Japan and then to the Americas. The novel depicts a story of war and peace, love and failure, victory, and defeat. To better look at how Koreans were treated in Japan, author Lee Min Jin stayed in there for four years to perfectly capture Koreans' lives. Her efforts were well rewarded, as this novel was loved by many. By far, "Pachinko" is considered one of her greatest works.

Additionally, the racism experienced by Koreans in Japan will be highlighted in the drama

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/119131/20201019/actor-lee-min-ho-will-play-the-lead-role-for-appletv-upcoming-pachinko.htm

Details of Lee Min Ho's Comeback on Acting; Starring in the Pachinko Drama

19 October 2020

EkyChVoXgAIWmSX?format=png&name=small

If Lee Min Ho accepts this offer, it will be the first time for the actor to work with Apple TV. In addition, the Pachinko drama, which focuses on real Korean people, will provide a perfectly suitable role for Lee Min Ho. An extraordinary synergy seems to be created between Lee Min Ho and Pachinko drama screenwriter, Soo Hugh, who is of Korean-American descent.

The news of the drama or television series adaptation of the Pachinko novel has been widely heard since 2019. The screenwriter, Soo Hugh, has several times revealed her plan to immediately visualize Min Jin Lee's work. 

But for one reason or another, the continuation regarding the drama production Pachinko suddenly disappeared from the spotlight. However, now Pachinko novel lovers can anticipate that the drama version of Min Jin Lee's work will soon be realized by hooking Lee Min Ho as the main character.

EkyChVjXYAElOv8?format=png&name=small

https://www.intipseleb.com/korea/10675-detail-comeback-akting-lee-min-ho-bintangi-drama-pachinko?page=4

• Like 10
  • Wiggle 1

Hansu had to admire her for not taking his money the way any young girl did these days. In Tokyo, it was possible for a man to buy a girl for a bottle of French perfume or a pair of shoes from Italy.

So the life of Tokyo would suit him fine, wasn’t easy in Korea even to sell his beautiful face for a coffee :D
tPMf4SZ.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 14

5 hours ago, syntyche said:

Lee Min Ho to Play The Lead Role for AppleTV+'s "Pachinko"

With his latest Lazada endorsement, you would probably want more of Lee Min Ho! Ladies, don't drool as he has been cast in AppleTV+'s "Pachinko." You read it right. You will see him in another lead role! 

Lee Min Ho has fans all over the world, and we cannot deny how popular he has been. He is one of the most followed Korean actors on Instagram, with over twenty million followers, and his Facebook page with more than 18 followers. These numbers show how influential he is in social media. 

No doubt his role as Go Jung Pyo He in the hit series "Boys Over Flowers" where he played this cold-hearted and heath-throb which gained him international recognition as the drama was just perfectly plotted and the role he played as Go Jung Pyo, the leader of the popular high school group F4, was just as perfect as well.

Mostly his roles would be a son a rich business, like in his hit series "The Heirs" with actress Park Shin Hye where fans were drooling as he was topless after surfing at the Santa Monica beach.

And his recent drama series "The King: Eternal Monarch" made many of his fans very happy as this was his comeback series after being discharged from the military enlistment last 2019. It is a known fact, based on surveys, that many Koreans did not like his latest series TKEM and were kind of disappointed with the storyline.

Nevertheless, his fans worldwide were all-out with supporting their favorite Oppa. You cannot bring Lee Min Ho down just because of negative comments.

Now, let's talk about his upcoming drama series "Pachinko". This novel became a finalist at the National Book Award for fiction in the same year it was published and a New York Times best-selling novel, written by Korean-American author Lee Min Jin. Although this book was published in 2017, it will have its early adaptation on the small screen.

Lee Min Jin's novel "Pachinko" was so good that the multibillion-dollar company Apple Inc.'s streaming service AppleTV+ bought the rights for a television adaptation of the novel, and now it is becoming a reality. Lee Min Ho will play the lead role.

The series will consist of 8 episodes. Though AppleTV+ may not yet be available in Korea, having Lee Min Ho play the lead in one of their series is making a lot of Koreans wonder if AppleTV+ may launch in Korea soon. Who knows, maybe AppleTV+ is of making its way to enter the Korean market!

Going back, "Pachinko" tells the journey of a Korean family who immigrated to Japan and then to the Americas. The novel depicts a story of war and peace, love and failure, victory, and defeat. To better look at how Koreans were treated in Japan, author Lee Min Jin stayed in there for four years to perfectly capture Koreans' lives. Her efforts were well rewarded, as this novel was loved by many. By far, "Pachinko" is considered one of her greatest works.

Additionally, the racism experienced by Koreans in Japan will be highlighted in the drama

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/119131/20201019/actor-lee-min-ho-will-play-the-lead-role-for-appletv-upcoming-pachinko.htm

Details of Lee Min Ho's Comeback on Acting; Starring in the Pachinko Drama

19 October 2020

If Lee Min Ho accepts this offer, it will be the first time for the actor to work with Apple TV. In addition, the Pachinko drama, which focuses on real Korean people, will provide a perfectly suitable role for Lee Min Ho. An extraordinary synergy seems to be created between Lee Min Ho and Pachinko drama screenwriter, Soo Hugh, who is of Korean-American descent.

The news of the drama or television series adaptation of the Pachinko novel has been widely heard since 2019. The screenwriter, Soo Hugh, has several times revealed her plan to immediately visualize Min Jin Lee's work. 

But for one reason or another, the continuation regarding the drama production Pachinko suddenly disappeared from the spotlight. However, now Pachinko novel lovers can anticipate that the drama version of Min Jin Lee's work will soon be realized by hooking Lee Min Ho as the main character.

https://www.intipseleb.com/korea/10675-detail-comeback-akting-lee-min-ho-bintangi-drama-pachinko?page=4

I feel like Kdrama star's article is kind of negative..... Maybe it's just me 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 3

Hansu to Sunju 

If I want to live, I have to know things others don’t. Now, I’m telling you something valuable. I’m telling you something so you can save your sons’ lives. Don’t waste this information. The world can go to hell, but you need to protect your sons .. }

oppa in daddy mood will be :joy:

** let’s save planet for our children 

GmiNAhi.gif

# someone so much interested in Hansu character :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

Thanks for adding the family tree @syntyche :kiss_wink:

I know we are all wondering how the contents of Pachinko will fit into 8 episodes.  Perhaps the episodes are longer than the 1 hour that we're used to with many kdramas.  At a certain point, though, when I watch dramas with longer episodes, I'm thinking "how much longer is this episode?"

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

4 hours ago, Miss Pizza said:

Now I'm getting confused on how they gonna adapt the drama. Compressing 400+ pages into 8 ep is one thing and each character has only one episode???

Have you seen The Haunting of Hill

House? Each episode is told from one person’s point of view but somehow, the story adds up in the end. There’s a possibility the execution might not follow chronological order. 

Just me or do you guys also feel there’s a lot of pressure on this drama already? I’m feeling a bit nervous. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 5

17 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Just me or do you guys also feel there’s a lot of pressure on this drama already? I’m feeling a bit nervous. 

Chingu, not just you, me too hahaha, can't help tho considering the novel is critically acclaimed so its already have its own audience and then LMH is in there as well so the expectation is super duper high I must say.

I'm hoping the production can execute the drama well. Hoping the best for the final product:D

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Have you seen The Haunting of Hill

House? Each episode is told from one person’s point of view but somehow, the story adds up in the end. There’s a possibility the execution might not follow chronological order. 

I have never seen that show, but the comedy show “arrested development” did something like that with one of their later season. Where each episode highlighted one character but the stories eventual

connected. I have only seen the terror from This producer so I’m really curious how he is going to adapt the story of pachinko. Looks like there are some Native Koreans involve in the project, I’m not sure if their needed to make it more kdrama like OR to make sure historically and culturally they are staying true. 

And yes, there is so much pressure about this project. Especially within the kdrama community because LMH’s name attached to It. I feel for LMH, I hope for his mental heath sake, he would tune out from social media. It wouldn’t surprise me if he won’t be posting in the beginning, he might want to focus and not seeing and reading the hype about his upcoming project. I know I would.

• Like 11
  • Love 2