[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

1 hour ago, CallieP said:

I said the exactly same thing, that the eyes does not look like LMH, maybe a double for LMH but it turns out that it was LMH.  Did something to his eyes.  Eye make up.

I saw different pics, I think sunlight shone much , so he opened his eyes less

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

5 hours ago, CarolynH said:

You know what is interesting?  Both young and old sunja went to Vancouver, right?  I wonder how that plays into the filming.  You'd think only one would head to Vancouver.  Now I'm curious.

Story changed so much, it is unpredictable

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

17 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

Thanks to Canadian Minoz we were happy, thank you so much

Thanks so much @leeminhosny  I think I like this the best.  It is two 2a.m. and those fans are still hanging out for hours hoping to see him.  Real dedication.  Their efforts paid out.

The best thing is he came up to them all smiling even so late at night when he must be really tired and needing a hot bath.  That he worried about them being cold or out so late at night.  He pointed to his wrist and  said something.  Did he say cold or late (since he was pointing at his wrist)?  I couldn't quite make it out but a fan said "Yes, it is cold.)  He is sweet.  His smile must have warmed them up.  It warmed me up. :yum:

I also liked the video of the last day of filming when  crew members told Canada Minoz that LMH would not be there and thanked them for coming and that they appreciated fans for their support of LMH.  It was so cute. Also when the director chanted LMH, LMH as he crossed the street.  That was unexpected.

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote Tweets that contain images, gifs or videos. Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, CallieP said:

Thanks so much @leeminhosny  I think I like this the best.  It is two 2a.m. and those fans are still hanging out for hours hoping to see him.  Real dedication.  Their efforts paid out.

The best thing is he came up to them all smiling even so late at night when he must be really tired and needing a hot bath.  That he worried about them being cold or out so late at night.  He pointed to his wrist and  said something.  Did he say cold or late (since he was pointing at his wrist)?  I couldn't quite make it out but a fan said "Yes, it is cold.)  He is sweet.  His smile must have warmed them up.  It warmed me up. :yum:

I also liked the video of the last day of filming when  crew members told Canada Minoz that LMH would not be there and thanked them for coming and that they appreciated fans for their support of LMH.  It was so cute. Also when the director chanted LMH, LMH as he crossed the street.  That was unexpected.

He showed his watch he said so late , this is another video fan said "so late, go home" :joy: and yes director is so funny, really staff is so kind I liked.

• Blob 4

Korean superstar Lee Min Ho excited to say goodbye to fans waiting in the cold at Surrey Park. "Pachinko" has finished shooting in Vancouver. Lee Min Ho gathered a crowd whenever he was on location.

spacer.png

spacer.png

http://www.hollywoodnorth.buzz/2021/04/wrap-lee-min-hos-last-day-on-apple-tvs-4-generation-korean-saga-pachinko-in-vancouver.html

• Blob 2

Canadians capture photos of Lee Min Ho in rare hair color as he greets fans 

People are even more looking forward to the new drama!

The South Korean male god Lee Min Ho flew to Canada in a low-key manner for the filming of the new drama "Pachinko", and officially started filming after completing the quarantine. In order to see the idol's demeanor, some fans deliberately waited near the shooting scene. Recently, they finally captured photos of the male god and revealed his new look in the new drama.

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Although the crew’s secrecy is adequate, the actors are covered by black umbrellas while they are moving, so as not to expose the modeling in the play. Fans have photographed some of Lee Min Ho’s looks in the new drama. Not only are there stylish suits, Japanese traditional kimonos, but also very unusual gray hair. Lee Min Ho, who focuses on filming, also shows his love to the fans when he sees them waiting. He smiled and greeted everyone several times.

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The new play "Pachinko" is adapted from the best-selling novel of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min Jin. The story focuses on the family of 4 generations of Korean immigrants. Koh Hansu, played by Lee Min Ho, had a hard life in South Korea in his early years, and later moved to Osaka, Japan, where he became a successful entrepreneur. There is no exact broadcast date. Fans still need to wait patiently.

https://www.bastillepost.com/hongkong/article/8265834-加拿大野生捕獲李敏鎬-罕見髮色曝光遇粉絲親民打

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

Lee MinHo Completes His Filming Of "Pachinko" In Canada

Top Hallyu actor Lee MinHo updated fans with new pictures on his Instagram.

The actor has been staying in Canada filming for a few weeks for his upcoming drama "Pachinko" (Apple TV+). On Apr. 11, he posted pictures of the set with the caption "last day" meaning that he completed the filming.

In the pictures, all the lightning and trucks of the filming set can be seen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The actor also posted a picture of him and to keep the mystery on his character's outfit, he only showed his face.

spacer.png

In the drama based on MinJin Lee's novel, Lee MinHo is acting HanSu a merchant who has built up wealth and power through ties with organized crime organizations.

Fans have shown support for the actor and have commented "Yeay last day", "Love you", "Thank you for your hard work", "Be safe and come home soon", "I hope you are successful wherever you are", "Always healthy and success for Lee MinHo", etc.

MINOZ can't wait to see "Pachinko" to be released sometime in 2021. Lee MinHo also recently became the brand ambassador for 'Louis Vuitton''s watches and jewelry.

If you have yet to follow, Lee MinHo on his Instagram, you can here @actorleeminho.

Are you also looking forward to the release?

https://www.kpopmap.com/lee-minho-completes-his-filming-of-pachinko-in-canada/

Lee Min-ho shares photos of last day of shooting for 'Pachinko'

It's a wrap for Lee Min-ho and the cast of Apple TV+'s upcoming drama "Pachinko". The Hallyu star posted photos of the set including a selfie of him wearing a hoodie on his Instagram on Sunday, April 11. His caption read: "Last day."

Filming locations for the anticipated drama are Korea, Japan, and Northern America. The cast and crew were in Vancouver, Canada since February for filming after wrapping up in Korea last year.

"Pachinko" is based on the novel of the same name by Min Jin-Lee. According to the description of the novel in Publisher's Weekly, "Pachinko" is an "epic historical novel following a Korean family who eventually migrates to Japan."

It added that it is a "character-driven tale that features a large ensemble of characters who become subjected to issues of racism and stereotypes, among other events with historical origins in the 20th-century Korean experiences with Japan."

Lee Min-ho talked in the February issue of GQ Korea about his role in the epic historical series. He was asked if his audition guaranteed him the role.

“Not at all. It’s been more than a decade since I auditioned (for a role), but the situation has changed from then,” he replied.

He will play the role of Hansu, a wealthy merchant who has ties with the yakuza.

“I thought it would be so embarrassing if I failed the audition, so I was determined to get the role. I worked really hard to prepare for the audition,” he continued.

The actor had his major acting break in 2009 when he bagged the role of Gu Jun-pyo in the teen romance-drama "Boys Over Flowers."

He proceeded to star in other popular dramas like "The Heirs," "Faith," "City Hunter," "Legend of the Blue Sea." and "The King: Eternal Monarch."

https://www.philstar.com/entertainment/korean-wave/2021/04/12/2090600/lee-min-ho-shares-photos-last-day-shooting-pachinko

• Like 2

"Dr. Brain" is Apple TV+' first project to be released later this year, ahead of Pachinko. More waiting for us for Pachinko release?

:crazymad:

SK Telecom close to sign a partnership with OTT service Apple TV+

spacer.png

South Korea’s top wireless carrier SK Telecom Co. is teaming up with Apple’s online video streaming service Apple TV+ amid its competitors’ tie-up with Disney+ and Netflix over greater share in the ever-growing pay TV market.

According to industry sources on Sunday, SK Telecom and Apple TV+ are close to ink a partnership deal for the video streaming and pay TV service in Korea. SK Telecom said nothing has confirmed yet, but industry insiders expect they will soon announce a partnership.

“Although they close the deal, it would be difficult to launch the service within the first half of the year due to the set-top box settings,” said a source from the industry.

Apple TV+ is Apple’s subscription video streaming service featuring original TV shows and movies that debuted in November 2019. A monthly subscription is just $4.99 per month after a free seven-day trial, more affordable than other OTT services.

The latecomer is planning create original contents.

The first Korean original series would be sci-fi thriller “Dr. Brain” based on a popular webtoon, which will be directed by Kim Jee-woon and star SAG Award winner Lee Sun-kyun (“Parasite”). The series also will mark the first Korean-language project for Apple TV+.

Korean, Japanese and English-language drama series “Pachinko” based on the acclaimed novel and starring Youn Yuh-jung and Lee Min-ho will follow.

Apple TV+ currently struggles in North America in competition with video streaming giants Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime. It hopes for a better luck in Korea through linkup with No. 1 telecom company.

Wireless carriers are actively courting foreign partners upon witnessing the growth of LG Uplus, whose IPTV subscription rose by 20 percent in just two years of a partnership with Netflix.

SK Telecom shares rose 2.35 percent to close at 283,000 won in Seoul on Monday.

https://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?sc=30800028&year=2021&no=349820

Veteran actress Youn Yuh Jung became the first Korean actress to win an award at the British Academy Award [BAFTA].

spacer.png

Youn Yuh Jung became the first Korean actress to win British Academy Award [BAFTA] for her performance in the film Minari

The veteran actress has also won accolades at the 27th Screen Actor Guild (SAG) awards for her performance in Minari. She was honoured with Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role at SAG award ceremony held on April 4. With this, Youn Yuh Jung created history as this was the first time a Korean actress had won this honor at the SAG awards.

Youn Yuh Jung has currently joined The King Eternal Monarch star Lee Min Ho for the shooting of trilingual Apple TV+ web series Pachinko.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/video-minari-actress-youn-yuh-jungs-hilarious-bafta-acceptance-speech-goes-viral-56766

• Like 1

Why is Lee Min Ho so shrewd?

Ha | 13-04-2021

Lee Min Ho attracts attention with his strange hair and is dressed in traditional Japanese clothing on the set of Patchinko.

Long after the completion of King: Eternal Monarch on the morning of April 12, Lee Min Ho suddenly appeared in a different form on the set of Pachinko. Accordingly, the actor attracted attention by appearing in a traditional Japanese yukata with disheveled gray hair, scars and blood on his face. It is noteworthy that the actor seems to have put on weight when his face and body are clearly visible. Lee Min Ho was very friendly, smiling and waving his hands warmly every time fans took pictures.

photo-1-1618204088582515652786.jpg

Spoiler

photo-1-1618204093926149163677.jpg

photo-1-1618204093926149163677.jpg

photo-1-16182041002031091614414.jpg

In Patchinko, Lee Min Ho is known to play Hansu, a boy who was born into a poor family in Jeju and immigrates to Osaka, Japan at the age of 12. Hansu was forced to cope with his life because of his alcoholic father. Overcoming all adversity, rising from the underworld, Hansu succeeded as a wealthy businessman. He will have a romantic but nefarious romance with Sunja (Kim Min Ha).

photo-1-16182051824191109349840.jpg

Spoiler

photo-1-16182057869371469051982.jpg

photo-1-1618205813841962057454.jpg

photo-1-16182058343271490390651.jpg

A few more photos of Lee Min Ho from the previous studio

Based on the bestselling book by Min Jin Lee, Pachinko is the story of the hopes and dreams of four generations of a Korean immigrant family. It is an unforgettable story of war and peace, love and loss, spanning Korea, Japan and America. The film is a global project covering 3 languages: Korean, Japanese and English. Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Kaho Minami, ...

photo-1-1618204899904682409790.jpg

Production of 8 episodes of Pachinko began in October 2020 in Korea, and the cast and crew began filming in Vancouver, Canada this February.

Translate from Vietnamese google

http://ttvn.toquoc.vn/lee-min-ho-sao-lai-xuong-sac-the-nay-toc-tai-bu-xu-mat-be-bet-mau-cung-than-hinh-phat-tuong-2202113404040711.htm

Pachinko family tree

cr: isobeseri

spacer.png

Lee Min Ho Updates Fans on His Upcoming Drama 'Pachinko'

The king of K-drama is gearing up for a new project. Recently, "The King: Eternal Monarch" actor Lee Min Ho teases his fans with his newly uploaded photos on Instagram.

On April 11, the Hallyu star updated his fans about his upcoming project "Pachinko." Lee Min Ho added three behind-the-scenes photos, and in his caption, it says, "Last day."

It can be seen through the photos that the production team was wrapping up the equipment in the filming set. 

The 33-year-old actor has been staying in Canada for weeks for the completion of his drama. Still, he didn't forget to update his fans even though he's miles away, working on his next project.

"Pachinko" is scheduled to meet the audience anytime soon this 2021. The series is all about the journey of a Korean family who moved to Japan to begin a new life, but they did not expect to experience huge problems such as racism in living in a new country.

This raises anticipation from the viewers as racism is a very sensitive and serious topic that the world should know and talk about.

Updates regarding the much-awaited series are yet to be announced. Be sure to always check Lee Min Ho's Instagram account!

Lee Min Ho will be returning on the small screen, fiercer and bolder. His drama will spread awareness about the struggles and problems that most encounter in foreign lands.

The American-Korean-Japanese series "Pachinko" marks Lee Min Ho's first project in 2021.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/120329/20210413/lee-min-ho-updates-fans-upcoming-drama-pachinko.htm

• Like 1

cr: lovely_mino_7

This is a collection of all the different covers and languages of Pachinko.
Fans across the globe banded together through tough times of Covid-19 to bring all of these books together, over the course of two months.

(gift for Director Justin Chon)

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Richmond resident star-struck by Korean celebrity Lee Minho

It was the moment that made everything worthwhile — that seven-hour wait in the rain, those frantic trips down to Steveston, those hours of tracking shooting details online.

It was the moment the movie star of her dreams walked up to her, and other fans eager to catch a glimpse, and waved and said hello to them.

“When he came out and stood in front of me and other fans, I was like ‘Oh my God, I’m going to die. He’s right here,” recalled Pamela Bagtas.

“He,” of course, is the Korean megastar Lee Minho, who was in Richmond last month filming Pachinko, an international drama series based on the adaptation of Min Jin Lee’s novel of the same name.

When Pamela Bagtas got word Minho would be coming to B.C. to film the Apple TV series, she was on a mission to see in person the celebrity she had been a fan of since 2013, when he starred in the drama The Heirs, and even snap a few photos.

“The longest time I waited was seven hours with several other fans and we eventually, and luckily, got to see (Lee Minho) and was super excited,” said Bagtas, adding that she would visit the Steveston film set every chance she could.

“The first day, as far as I could remember, I waited about an hour or two and managed to see him up close as he entered the set since not many people were there.”

According to Bagtas, when word got out that the Korean actor was in Steveston, the Richmond RCMP was called to the film site as it got “rowdy” with a sudden increase of fans.

When asked if she was worried about physical distancing requirements during COVID-19, she said she wasn’t worried because she was vaccinated and being a healthcare worker she knew how to keep her distance from others.

“It’s crazy and amazing at the same time how an international star could bring so many people together, but when the RCMP showed up, everyone knew to stay put and not cross the line,” said Bagtas.

“Most fans will follow the rules because we don’t want to get kicked out. We just want to see (Lee Minho), take pictures and that’s it.”

Members of Lee’s fan club, known as Minoz, were constantly updating fans, reporting sighting of the Korean actor since he arrived in Vancouver on Feb. 25.

Bagtas said Minoz members encourage each other and share information about where they’ve spotted Lee or the next filming location.

The filming of Pachinko in B.C. wrapped up on April 11 around 2:30 a.m., according to Bagtas who waited in the cold to say a final goodbye to Lee and Pachinko’s cast members on their last day.

That was the moment Minho suddenly walked up to his fans to say goodbye to them — a moment Bagtas says she will never forget.

“I hope more Korean celebrities come because with all this racism and hate crime going on against Asians, I want others to know that Asians are talented as well.”

• Blob 1

April 15, 2021

'Pachinko' author reflects on pandemic, grief and hope for the future

200521_minjinlee_asiablog.jpg

Korean-American author Min Jin Lee, author of “Pachinko” (2017) [MIN JIN LEE]

Korean-American author Min Jin Lee is known for her impactful opening sentences.

Her first novel, “Free Food for Millionaires” (2007), begins with “Competence can be a curse,” while “Pachinko” (2017), which is set to be made into an Apple TV+ series, begins with “History has failed us, but no matter.”

Her most recent published writing, an essay in the New York Times on April 7, details her experience living in the era of Covid-19.

“This past year, I’ve spent most of my time in my drafty office in Harlem, where the water leak from the lintel above the south-facing window has reappeared after some bad weather,” the essay begins, expressing her frustration with life in a pandemic. 

But, Lee goes on to talk about hope rather than focus on despair. A master of autobiographical fiction, Lee details the story of her uncle John Y. Kim who passed away during the pandemic. Kim immigrated to the United States a few years after the Korean War and waited tables to make a living. The restaurant refused to give him any meals and his hunger was only exacerbated serving diners their meals. His boss even threatened to fire him if he was caught eating any of the guests’ leftovers.

Struggling to survive in a new country, Kim found solace in the local library.

There he taught himself programming through books and eventually secured a job at IBM as a programmer. After sponsoring Lee’s family to immigrate to the United States, the first place Kim took the young Lee was to the library. 

29174313-min-jin-lee-author-tatler2021_c

Min Jin Lee [MIN JIN LEE]

Lee moved from Korea to the United States when she was seven years old. She remembers her parents were always working to make a living, and she “couldn’t speak well or find friends” as a child.

Just like her uncle, she also found comfort in the library. She especially enjoyed works by writers who were immigrants as well, but read “promiscuously” across all genres, which improved her fluency in English and helped her adapt to life in America. Reading also sparked her dream of becoming an author herself one day.

Lee's parents wanted her to become a corporate lawyer so she attended Yale University and studied law at Georgetown University Law Center. But she quit after two years due to the extreme workload, and also because she wanted to become an author not a lawyer. But, it wasn't until a decade later that her first book was published.

The story of her life is reflected in the semi-autobiographical “Free Food for Millionaires,” which is about a woman who graduates from Columbia Law School but pursues her passion of writing. Netflix acquired the rights to “Free Food for Millionaires” for a film adaptation in January.

The filming for the drama adaptation of her sophomore novel “Pachinko," which received widespread praise including from former U.S. President Barack Obama, began filming last October.

The novel “Pachinko” tells the story of ethnic Koreans in Japan, known as Zainichi Koreans, who face severe discrimination. The New York Times named the novel as one of the 10 Best Books of 2017.

Pachinko is a vertical pinball machine game which is mostly used for gambling in Japan. While most gambling is illegal in Japan, a legal loophole allows pachinko since it rewards players with tokens, not cash; although the tokens end up being legally traded with cash at separate vendors. 
You can now read The Korea JoongAng Daily on NAVER

Japanese people perceive pachinko as a seedy business, and an estimated 80 percent of pachinko parlor owners are Zainichi Korean since it used to be the only livelihood they could find in a job market where they were heavily discriminated against. 

Pachinko parlors “gave off a strong odor of poverty and criminality” as mentioned in the novel, and owning one is a stereotype of Zainichi Koreans.

The novel’s main protagonist Sunja and her husband move from then-colonized Korea to a Korean ghetto in Osaka, facing many struggles and racism amid the turbulence of modern history. The book follows four generations of the family. 

Lee was inspired to write “Pachinko” after living in Japan for four years from 2007 to 2011, when her half-Japanese husband was working at a firm in Tokyo.

She interviewed numerous Zainichi Koreans, many of them pachinko owners and bar hostesses. Lee’s extensive research and interviews seep into the novel.

Cast members of the upcoming Apple TV+ adaptation of “Pachinko,” based on Lee’s book. Top from right, actors Lee Min-ho, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai. Above from right, actors Kim Min-ha, Soji Arai and Kaho Minami. [APPLE TV+]
Cast members of the upcoming Apple TV+ adaptation of “Pachinko,” based on Lee’s book. Top from right, actors Lee Min-ho, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai. Above from right, actors Kim Min-ha, Soji Arai and Kaho Minami. [APPLE TV+]

For Apple TV+’s eight-episode screen adaptation of “Pachinko,” the cast mainly consists of Korean and Japanese actors, including “Minari” actor Youn Yuh-jung, K-drama heartthrob Lee Min-ho and Zainichi Korean actor Soji Arai.

Korean-American television writer Soo Hugh will write the script with dialogue in Korean, Japanese and English; a proud milestone for Lee and Asians in American entertainment.

Lee says her uncle John helped create her identity as a writer.

“I imagine Uncle John as a young man walking to the library and picking up a newspaper,” she wrote. “He heads to the shelves to borrow some books. He solves life’s problems. He rescues us.” 

What Lee tries to convey through her essay and her work is a sense of hope. Despite the pandemic and her lingering grief due to her uncle’s passing, Lee says life goes on and people can overcome any adversity together.

As she tells her college students during Zoom lectures, “I know it’s lousy right now, but it’ll get better. You’re tough. We’ll figure this out.”

BY CHUN SU-JIN, HALEY YANG   [kjdculture@joongang.co.kr]

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/04/15/culture/books/pachinko-min-jin-lee-youn-yuh-jung/20210415153700506.html