[Taiwanese Drama 2020] The Devil Punisher 天巡者

JenL

• JenL changed the title to [Current Taiwanese Drama 2020] The Devil Punisher 天巡者

So I watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. I am intrigued and definitely want to know more about all the storylines and characters. 

Spoiler

Like the history between  the main couple. And who is the mystery strong mastermind behind the beginning since a mark shows on  CK's hand and then it blew him away.  And I wonder if that professor has anything to do with it? But I am also thinking is that too obvious if its's him. But the timing of him and the job is so questionable. Maybe he has a history with the past? 

@Usaheaven Glad you're watching this series too! I enjoyed the first episode of this drama. I've avoided a lot of Taiwanese fantasy series in the past because low budget SFX give me a headache...but I was surprised that this one was actually not too bad. Like definitely nowhere near as smooth as K-dramas, but then I think they only have a fraction of the budget Kdramas get for SFX. Having seen the trailers I guess I adjusted my expectations, so I was good with that!

I liked that the story is built on the real Chinese legends of Meng Po and Zhong Kui. I like that they've weaved these into a more modern story. I think the story does looks a lot like: Goblin/ Hotel Del Luna/ Along with the Gods so far, but hoping the legends will help the series to develop into its own.

I feel like Mike He is as charming as ever and it's nice to see he still plays a romance hero very well (that gaze he has when he looks at the female lead!) I think the last thing I watched him in was Bull Fighting years and years ago with Hebe. I think Ivy is cute and fun as a female lead and it's easy to see her as a college student....I'm finding the acting has been pretty good - both the leads haven't been exaggerated actors and even though it's a fantasy story, there hasn't been too much cheese in the script. In fact some of the humour has been fun, like when he keeps sending her those stickers on Line after she sends him one. I'm enjoying the element of mystery - why the memory loss? Who is the mastermind? And the ghosts are not too scary, but help with making the story fun in a silly dark way.

So Glad I found this series.

Also glad That it's available in my country on Netflix. A majority of Chinese/Taiwanese dramas are not on Netflix in my country neither on Viki.

So , I was expecting k-drama Goblin like feels from this one but this is totally another level. I agree that ghosts aren't that scary. Also the mystery element is quite interesting. 

Thanks a lot for recommending this drama @JenL

6 hours ago, Anjali Punia said:

So , I was expecting k-drama Goblin like feels from this one but this is totally another level. I agree that ghosts aren't that scary. Also the mystery element is quite interesting. 

Thanks a lot for recommending this drama @JenL

Yay, glad you're joining us @Anjali Punia. I think visually - in terms of the actors and the costumes, it looked a bit like Goblin. Also the story of Meng Po - helping souls to forget their memories reminds me of Goblin also. But in terms of the main story and Zhong Kui, it reminds me more of Hotel Del Luna for the ghost hunting element. Have you watched that series before?

Yeah I have seen Hotel Del Luna. I was thinking the same. The ghost hunting is like that .

I don't think there is a famous K/C/T drama that I haven't watched. Especially if it's a fantasy element

That's why I was glad that there is a T fantasy drama.

Lately I have gotten bored with similar plotlines of k dramas.

I am really looking forward to this one. And my expectations after first episode are good. 

I know the special effects were not so great but they were pretty decent.

I liked that falling from stairs scene the most.

Plus the Bakery lady is a dear. 

I am looking forward to snaps of past story of Lady Meng and CK.

Also The Queen is so sassy. I liked the first episode a lot. And since it's on Netflix it means I don't have to wait for subs so double yeah.

Initially I had thought it would be a serious drama so I was surprised by humour element. Also that the Hero quite understands his feeling towards heroine from 1st episode itself is also quite unique as far as Taiwanese dramas go

@JenL @Anjali Punia agree about the Goblin vibes and Hotel Del Luna. I loved Hotel Del Luna.  Personally I feel like the sfx is okay. I am not expecting anything amazing and I think if they don't try to do big effects with a small budget then it looks decent. 

The bakery lady is super sweet. I like her and yes I do what to know about Meng Po and CK as well. Is it that she doesn't remember their past life but CK remembers it all? 

The Queen I do like her as well. She seems to give CK a little bit latitude so she must understand why he went after her. 

I agree its nice that their is no guessing of the main's feeling towards the FL. 

The Devil Punisher will have a fan meeting tomorrow for Halloween at 1:30pm Taipei time

Sdb71n8.jpg

On 10/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, Anjali Punia said:

Yeah I have seen Hotel Del Luna. I was thinking the same. The ghost hunting is like that .

I don't think there is a famous K/C/T drama that I haven't watched. Especially if it's a fantasy element

That's why I was glad that there is a T fantasy drama.

Lately I have gotten bored with similar plotlines of k dramas.

I am really looking forward to this one. And my expectations after first episode are good. 

I know the special effects were not so great but they were pretty decent.

I liked that falling from stairs scene the most.

Plus the Bakery lady is a dear. 

I am looking forward to snaps of past story of Lady Meng and CK.

Also The Queen is so sassy. I liked the first episode a lot. And since it's on Netflix it means I don't have to wait for subs so double yeah.

Wow, you really know your Asian dramas!! Yeah, I think the first episode was pretty promising and the bakery lady was so sweet. Also yes, Queen of the underworld is so cool - I like Amanda Chou. She normally does play the bad, seductress type girl (being a lingerie model in real life, haha)...but in recent years she's been in more prominent side roles and was even lead sometimes. 

On 10/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, Usaheaven said:

@JenL @Anjali Punia agree about the Goblin vibes and Hotel Del Luna. I loved Hotel Del Luna.  Personally I feel like the sfx is okay. I am not expecting anything amazing and I think if they don't try to do big effects with a small budget then it looks decent. 

The bakery lady is super sweet. I like her and yes I do what to know about Meng Po and CK as well. Is it that she doesn't remember their past life but CK remembers it all? 

Haha, me too! I thought the special effects were fine considering and if they don't try to go too crazy, I can handle this level XD Yeah, I'm wondering how much MP remembered even as a MP- It seems CK has a one sided love whereas MP has just been trying to live her life and discover the world outside of the underworld.

Just watched episode 1 today.  It feels a lot like Moonlight Romance with Edison Song and Amber An where Edison was Yue Lao.  Same thing with travel to and from the underworld/heaven, a powerful demon adversary, and a girl who ends up in the human realm with memory loss.  So far, I am not finding the series super compelling, but I have really liked Mike He & Ivy Shao in previous works and will give it more of a chance.

In the first ep, I did enjoy seeing familiar side characters like the bakery grandma (everyone’s Tdrama grandma! She must have a really long list of credits), the Devil Punisher sidekick grandpa (also in everything under the sun), and the breakfast cart guy (SomeDay or One Day uncle).

On 11/7/2020 at 5:34 PM, Slyphykougn said:

So far, I am not finding the series super compelling, but I have really liked Mike He & Ivy Shao in previous works and will give it more of a chance.

In the first ep, I did enjoy seeing familiar side characters like the bakery grandma (everyone’s Tdrama grandma! She must have a really long list of credits), the Devil Punisher sidekick grandpa (also in everything under the sun), and the breakfast cart guy (SomeDay or One Day uncle).

Haha, I'm liking the series. It's probably not super exciting yet, since the ghosts are not really scary and there's no big tension in the story just yet. I think they haven't really emphasised the mystery element of the drama, which is the thing that draws me into a lot of series, whether Taiwanese or otherwise. But I'm really liking Mike and Ivy's chemistry. I've never watched the other one since I'm not a fan of Amber An, I guess. I also like looking for stars I recognise from past projects. Ivy's best friend/ room mate is the younger sister from Yong Jiu Grocery Store which I highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet. Great acting and heartwarming story  :love:

I agree with you guys. On the show is not that interesting yet. I also liking the chem between Mike and Ivy as well. They really are really cute. I think it will take a few more episodes to get more exciting.   @JenL So Yong Jiu grocery store is good? I was pondering watching it.  

@Usaheaven @JenL I like Yong Jiu a lot, but it did take me two tries to make it all the way through. Some of the episodes midway through move more deliberately as they develop character, and some were also serious/heavy enough that some nights I would look for something more fluffy to decompress. But after restarting it...I love love love it. The whole thing is written so cohesively, and the story is crazy heart warming in a realistic, mature, not stereotypical drama way. I also give it crazy bonus points for being mostly in Taiwanese, which is so sweet to hear. I enjoyed seeing Christina Mok play her character so well... I felt like she did such a good job with that aloof and guarded character. So different from her character in Single Ladies!

On 11/1/2020 at 7:06 AM, JenL said:

For those not familiar with Chinese, have translated the Halloween fan meet

Thanks so much for translating! That's so sweet to hear about Mike He's daughter making the Meng Po soup!

Archived