[Drama 2021] River Where the Moon Rises, 달이 뜨는 강

elan1

On 2/23/2021 at 9:37 PM, ferily said:
Spoiler

So tragic... On Dal finding out the girl that he likes is the Princess who indirectly caused the death of his father and massacre of his tribe. The boy really loves the girl man... From Day One, I think we can all say that On Dal fell for Gajin. I love how On Dal is the one doing everything for Gajin -- Gajin said herself that she hasn't done anything from him. All of this just makes me even more excited to see how their relationship plays out.

I gotta say though, things are playing out REALLY FAST in this drama. All of our important characters in the drama all know that the Princess is alive. I'm curious to see how the King is going to react to his daughter being alive. Will he command the death of the princess because of his madness? Will he command the princess to come back to the palace and live there? I think someone said that they hope Go Geon doesn't turn out to be bad. I really hope the same as well. I hope he will defy his father and side with the Princess and the King.

Todays episode really focused on Gajin finding out more about herself and what she should do. I think we will see her return to the palace and live as the princess (this is what I'm assuming). All of her old memories must be flooding in and hitting her left and right, so I can't imagine how confused she must be about her identity. I actually like how she said that the princess is dead and assassin Gajin is as well. It makes me think that she will find a new identity, not as the young Pyeonggang nor the assaasin Gajin, but find herself a new identity as just Gajin or a "new princess", if that makes sense at all. I am really looking forward to see what Gajin's next step and journey will be now that she knows her true identity.

Man drama, you got me hooked! Btw subs for Episode 4 came out super quick!

I agree with everyone that I'm surprised how quickly the drama is moving. Happy the drama has reached double digits already! :yay:My favourite scene this week was the market scene when they were selling their miracle drug:lol:   

On 2/23/2021 at 6:47 PM, agenth said:

Watched episodes 3, and 4. I like it, but somehow think first two episodes had more impact?

Maybe something about Kang Ha-Neul's presence haha.

For me I wasn't expecting the inastalove. It isn't a trope I am fond of.  I prefer slow burn relationships so-whilst I do think On Dal and Ga Jin have great chemistry-I wish they had built up their feelings.  I still don't really understand why OD is so fixated on her and willing to risk his life and endanger his tribe for her when she mostly has been pretty distant and evasive towards him.

The Koala's playground review pointed out something that's been bothering me about the locations.  There is no sense of scale regarding the distance of the different locations to each other.  Characters just seem to wander easily from place to place as if they are right next to each other - which is probably the case on set- but in the drama we should get a feeling of the distance and the journey.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:16 AM, Vera Vainio said:

So, does anyone have second lead syndrome? :D I don't , I find Go Geon too arrogant and selfish. And by watching teaser of next ep I think Ga Jin and Ondal will steal my heart completely when watching that ep <3 

i don't have second lead syndrome exactly but I'm surprised how interesting I am finding his character. I wasn't remotely interested from the pre-drama promo and didn't think he looked very attractive but I am really liking the way the actor is playing Go Geon and he looks more attractive in motion ( that deep, commanding voice helps too:tounge_xd:).

23 hours ago, Vera Vainio said:

even the monk?? xD but her best chemistry is with the King for sure!! :fullofhearts:

just joking lol xD kim so hyun has more chemistry with a tree than with the king lol 

LMAO!:lol: The King and So Hyun as the Queen scenes make me so uncomfortable.  I'm glad the drama hasn't had them have any romantic moments.

I'm disappointed if that's the last we will see of the handsome monk and his story with the Queen.

13 hours ago, yeli said:

they also look cute together and seems comfortable with each other. I ship:glasses:

They are really cute together! Maybe because they are closer age to each other? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

23 hours ago, yeli said:

Queen yeon is very pretty in episode 4 flashback, and the king holding her hand wasn’t even awkward even if in RL they probably had father-daughter age gap:glasses:

Vibing In Love GIF by TINDER

she vibes and has chemistry with everyone.  I still want the king dead for being a moron and killing the loyal woman who loved him UGH

Moron Three Busy Debras GIF by Adult Swim

14 hours ago, andy78 said:

the second ost gives us many spoilers of Pyeonggang returns to the palace I agree.It seems  her body is in the palace but her heart belongs to On Dal...maybe that's why she is crying :she is missing him  ...

your comment makes me sad :bawling:

2 hours ago, raziela said:

My favourite scene this week was the market scene when they were selling their miracle d

i love that scene too :joy:

or me I wasn't expecting the inastalove. It isn't a trope I am fond of.  I prefer slow burn relationships so-whilst I do think On Dal and Ga Jin have great chemistry-I wish they had built up their feelings.  I still don't really understand why OD is so fixated on her and willing to risk his life and endanger his tribe for her when she mostly has been pretty distant and evasive towards him.

in my opinion i didn’t see it as instant love. Ondal indeed had a strong first crush but him rescuing her wasnt out of his character.   I think one of the major first attractions was when she helped him fight off the hunters. 

He had the tendency to rescue those who find themselves in trouble. The ghost village is not only members of the sunmo tribe but also had other runaways. He was credited in saving others. The runaways also mentioned that it’s possible that the people they were running away from are also looking for them and might put the village in danger as well. So Gajin is not the only one putting the ghost village at risk, but other people as well. But the ghost village community in general embraced all those who needed a home. Everyone is essentially a runaway, they’re all in the same boat. So at the end of the day, they understand. 

Interesting, I never noticed. I’m just too focused on what’s going on :lol:

The Koala's playground review pointed out something that's been bothering me about the locations.  There is no sense of scale regarding the distance of the different locations to each other.  Characters just seem to wander easily from place to place as if they are right next to each other - which is probably the case on set- but in the drama we should get a feeling of the distance and the journey.

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

31 minutes ago, elan1 said:

your comment makes me sad

i'm sorry it makes you sad...but is better to think that crying is for her missing him than because she had to  betray him as we also see Ondal is taken by the guardians and thrown into jail ..

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

13 minutes ago, andy78 said:

i'm sorry it makes you sad...but is better to think that crying is for her missing him than because she had to  betray him as we also see Ondal is taken by the guardians and thrown into jail ..

thats true. 

I can’t wait for prison break, I hope she take down the guards and free him :lol:

cell prisoner GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

9 hours ago, raziela said:

i don't have second lead syndrome exactly but I'm surprised how interesting I am finding his character. I wasn't remotely interested from the pre-drama promo and didn't think he looked very attractive but I am really liking the way the actor is playing Go Geon and he looks more attractive in motion ( that deep, commanding voice helps too:tounge_xd:).

I can’t wait for Ondal to become general so we can swoon over him too:glasses:

9 hours ago, raziela said:

They are really cute together! Maybe because they are closer age to each other? 

The way he treats her, it’s like she’s his dongsaeng and not his noona:joy: 

7 hours ago, elan1 said:

I still want the king dead for being a moron and killing the loyal woman who loved him UGH

when is he going to die? I want the battle for the crown to begin:partyblob:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, yeli said:

when is he going to die? I want the battle for the crown to begin

well drama started in 561 now is 8 years later 569...foolish king will die in 590...next king will be her brother the one that is crown prince...590 is also the year ONDAL

Spoiler

WILL DIE IN A WAR AGAINST SILLA

I THINK we all want foolish king dead for being a moron and killing the loyal woman who loved him...unfortunately he will be king for 20 more years   @elan1

• Shocked 5

6 hours ago, andy78 said:

THINK we all want foolish king dead for being a moron and killing the loyal woman who loved him...unfortunately he will be king for 20 more years   @elan1

i hope this is one of the times the writer takes liberties and just end him as soon as possible despite historical inaccuracies  :lol:

kill him lucifer morningstar GIF by Lucifer

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

9 hours ago, elan1 said:

i hope this is one of the times the writer takes liberties and just end him as soon as possible despite historical inaccuracies

i have serious doubts that the writer will do so!!!nice photos @elan1 she looks so happy and in peace!!!

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

5 Romantic Moments In Episodes 3-4 Of “River Where The Moon Rises” That Had Us Swooning

KBS’s newest sageuk “River Where the Moon Rises” won viewers over with its premiere episodes last week and continues to stay strong, rising to a new ratings high. The story moves leaps and bounds as our amnesiac princess regains her memory and a community of people who are prepared to become her new family.

But what truly makes these episodes shine are the small moments between Pyeonggang (Kim So Hyun) and On Dal (Ji Soo) and the not-so-small meaning imbued in those scenes. Our herb-collector has fallen head over heels for his tough assassin, and luckily enough, she seems to have a soft spot for him too!

Without further ado, here are our favorite moments between our main couple this week!

Warning: spoilers for episodes 3-4 below.

1. On Dal racing to Pyeonggang’s rescue

What’s so amazing about On Dal (and really all of Ji Soo’s characters) is that he wears his heart on his sleeve. His entire demeanor changes the second he realizes that Pyeonggang’s in danger. No longer sweet and feigning simplemindedness, he immediately looks like he’s ready to go to war. It’s hard to believe that minutes earlier he was plucking flowers and weaving them in his hair!

There’s been various mentions online of On Dal being a “himbo” or a vacuous man, which are fair comments to make. Given that the source material for his show is essentially the story of a princess and a “fool,” there was the question of whether On Dal would be able to hold his own against Pyeonggang. But there are hidden depths to On Dal, and Pyeonggang starts to realize this early on. This romance just wouldn’t work if she’s deadly, gorgeous, and intelligent, and he’s just…cute.

For example, he knows she’s an assassin and is being held within a den of assassins, and he still races off to get her. It’s not that On Dal isn’t thinking straight or is blinded by his newfound feelings for Pyeonggang. He’s careful, tracks the assassins to Cheonbujang’s hideout, and manages not to get caught. He’s evidently a lot smarter than he looks and knows what he’s doing. It’s no wonder that Pyeonggang looks so surprised to see him, as if she didn’t think anyone would care enough about her to save her and that he managed to take out the assassin duo guarding her.

Rather than starting off with immediate attraction, the way On Dal does, the rescue makes Pyeonggang respect him. This respect only grows as the episode progresses, and it starts to morph into something much deeper.

And who can blame her? On Dal is a gem!

2. On Dal trusting Pyeonggang to come back for him

Let’s talk about how much On Dal endures for Pyeonggang. First, he creates that scene in the marketplace to attract Hae Mo Yong’s (Choi Yu Hwa) attention and willingly accepts being beaten up. Then, he gets strung upside-down and used as collateral to ensure Pyeonggang returns. He makes it quite clear that he could have gotten free at any point, but he willingly endures being in that position (with all the blood rushing to his head, which couldn’t have been easy!) for Pyeonggang.

In fact, the moment he hears that she’s out of Mo Yong’s reach, he immediately sets himself free and gets to work to repay Mo Yong so that Pyeonggang will be unharmed upon her return. Mo Yong is visibly disconcerted by On Dal’s devotion to his “friend,” and tries to insinuate that Pyeonggang isn’t coming back for him. But On Dal’s trust is unshakable.

Logically, this could come off as quite unrealistic. He barely knows Pyeonggang and she barely knows who she is. There’s no reason for them to be so loyal to each other. But they’ve helped each other and clicked in a way that Pyeonggang and Go Geon (Lee Ji Hoon) didn’t, despite growing up together.

In another drama, this would be a point where the evil second female lead sows discord and tricks the male lead into believing that Pyeonggang is never coming back and that he was duped. Then we’d have angst aplenty and so forth. But this is On Dal. He doesn’t overthink things. He trusts her and so he does. And that makes his unwavering faith in her all the more swoonworthy.

3. Pyeonggang coming back for On Dal

What’s even better about On Dal’s trust is that it’s reciprocated. Pyeonggang doesn’t seem like someone who’s had a lot of love or trusted a lot of people. But she trusts him. Enough to refuse to kill him despite it going against Cheonbujang’s code, enough to risk going on a mission to infiltrate the palace with him, and enough to return for him when it literally means she’ll be captured by Mo Yong.

She’s surprised to find On Dal still there, and the way he immediately jumps in to protect her and pay Mo Yong the equivalent of the reward he would have gotten by turning Pyeonggang in is just peak romance. As is their reaction upon seeing each other again:

His first thoughts are immediately for her, despite being strung upside-down and slowly bleeding out! But what’s so sweet about this from Pyeonggang’s perspective is that it shows that she didn’t think On Dal would wait. She didn’t know On Dal’s motives for helping her. She wasn’t sure he was actually going to wait for her while she visited Wol Gwang. That means she didn’t know if he was even still being held hostage by Mo Yong, and she still came to save him. Now that’s love.

4. Our couple literally building a home together

Another amazing trait of On Dal’s is that he’s nonjudgemental. A former assassin doesn’t have anywhere to go? Come to my village and we’ll all take care of you!

It was heartwarming to see the entire village gather to help Pyeonggang, not because they knew her or liked her – she’s still a stranger to them after all – but because On Dal likes her and they’d do anything for him. Plus even when they learn that she was a former assassin, they don’t mind!

On Dal surrounds Pyeonggang with love, the familial kind and the friendly kind. He shows her the world outside the palace, a world worth fighting for, and the only home Pyeonggang will keep in her heart when she will very likely have to return to the palace to fight for her people.

Yet, seeing them build a home together (and On Dal almost demolishing it) is the sweetest thing. He’s always getting her to laugh, and she’s always close to smiling around him.

He’s never failed to make her laugh. They bring out the best in each other and what’s not to love about that?

5. That conversation on the cliff.

The reveal of Pyeonggang’s identity comes pretty early on, which is a breath of fresh air compared to shows that hold out until the very end to bring out the old “big secret.” What’s even more refreshing is how they handle it. Pyeonggang certainly comes to a very dark decision very quickly due to how guilty she feels. And there’s no denying that On Dal is hurt as well. Despite his father telling him not to hold onto revenge, it’s practically impossible for a child of that age to witness what On Dal did and not feel hatred for King Pyeongwon (Kim Bup Rae).

But On Dal doesn’t go ballistic the way other male leads might. This is a classic case of children bearing their parents’ sins but On Dal doesn’t take it that far. He doesn’t resent Pyeonggang as a person but rather her status. Like it or not, his village died for her because she was a princess, and he gently reminds her that this means her life is no longer her own. It might sound harsh, but given how horribly his village was massacred and how they have to live now, it makes perfect sense. And On Dal explaining it without rage makes it easier for Pyeonggang to take in.

Despite his anger, On Dal isn’t a petty person. And despite her guilt, Pyeonggang doesn’t hide. She’s brave enough to reveal her identity and accept the consequences – like how what’s left of the Sunno Tribe will probably turn against her if they know who she is. This is where the couple shines because On Dal immediately steps up to shield her (though Sa Woo Nam (Jung Wook) the head of the tribe appears to have guessed). A male character in a sageuk who doesn’t let anger control him and isn’t petty? Yes, please!

With Pyeonggang slowly being set up to head for the palace to reclaim her destiny as the nation’s ruler, she’ll need all the allies she can get. And there’s no doubt that On Dal is always on her side.

We haven’t gotten a kiss or anything explicitly hinting of romance between the two of them just yet. But the way they depend on each other, care about each other, and trust and fight for each other is even better. They have amazing chemistry, and hopefully there’s a happy ending in store for them after all the strife they’ve endured. So let’s not think too hard about that opening scene. Next week’s episodes appear to show them getting even closer, and quite a few hugs. Monday can’t come soon enough!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1456120wpp/5-romantic-moments-in-episodes-3-4-of-river-where-the-moon-rises-that-had-us-swooning

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

@andy78 Chingu, I think instead of taking liberty in killing the King early, I strong believe 

Spoiler

They will do it in On Dal's death. They already showed the war with Shilla in the first few minutes of the drama, and showed that On Dal was found injured after the battle, Ga Jin talking to him and kissing him. So I don't think they will go with his death happening. At the same time, this based on a famous folk tale and a lot of people, especially the Korean audience must be already knowing the ending. So they might really take liberties in changing stuff.

At the start of each episode they do say that this is based on the folk tale and the historical events, and even some characters or dates may not really match the actual ones. So yeah, there is a chance that the King might die early, but I think there is higher chance for On Dal to live. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

22 hours ago, andy78 said:

i have serious doubts that the writer will do so!!!nice photos @elan1 she looks so happy and in peace!!!

i think you’re right :sweat:

We are getting closer to episode 5 :glasses:

@Sleepy Owl thank you for sharing your thoughts, very insightful :) is the battle scene we saw in ep one really the “war with silla?” It may be just one of the earlier battles against “unknown enemy” to prove ondal worth and quality as a general to gain approval for their marriage/relationship? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

12 minutes ago, elan1 said:

@Sleepy Owl thank you for sharing your thoughts, very insightful :) is the battle scene we saw in ep one really the “war with silla?” It may be just one of the earlier battles against “unknown enemy” to prove ondal worth and quality as a general to gain approval for their marriage/relationship? 

You could be absolutely right here. So then again, if it like you said, and the dude is destined to die in the war, I don't really think I would mind it much. Sageuks all well known for such deaths, and for me, if the death makes sense, I am fine with it. Then again, I hope it won't happen.

There is also a chance that they might not actually show it, give us a happy ending and just mention that he died in a war against Shilla in the 590 AD. I am fine with either of it, they change it, or show it as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 4

15 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

You could be absolutely right here. So then again, if it like you said, and the dude is destined to die in the war, I don't really think I would mind it much. Sageuks all well known for such deaths, and for me, if the death makes sense, I am fine with it. Then again, I hope it won't happen.

There is also a chance that they might not actually show it, give us a happy ending and just mention that he died in a war against Shilla in the 590 AD. I am fine with either of it, they change it, or show it as it is. 

I share similar sentiments, I don’t mind it either although I would prefer it otherwise :lol:

katie rees faces GIF

very strong possibility! I like the way you think! 

glasses genius GIF by Much

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I prefer this! I want happy ending for our OTP

Good Vibes Quarantine GIF by Amanda Cee Media

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, elan1 said:

It may be just one of the earlier battles against “unknown enemy” to prove ondal worth and quality as a general to gain approval for their marriage/relationship? 

i agree with you ...he was still alive when she found him...

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

There is also a chance that they might not actually show it, give us a happy ending and just mention that he died in a war against Shilla in the 590 AD. 

i hope that...it would be too sad to watch his death scene and his wife alone...

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1