[Drama 2021] River Where the Moon Rises, 달이 뜨는 강

elan1

9 hours ago, elan1 said:

they met only once and it was only for one day, and it was like 8(?) years ago? So I wouldn’t be surprise if he didn’t recognize her or her pendant. I can’t even remember what I wore the other day :joy:

Haha that is very true! However, it does seem like Ondal remembers everything clearly that day since that's the day his father mostly became a traitor and died.

8 hours ago, andy78 said:

NOW from trailer i remember her voice saying i'm  neither a princess or assassin so might be that she will leave the palace and go after general and marry him...in the legend they become rich and powefull outside the palace ...and at some point her father will trust and rely on him very much...so will the next king...

Oh Interesting!! Wait so in the legend Gajin and On Dal become rich and powerful outside the palace? I heard other people say that in the legend On Dal dies in the battlefield.

@mungbean Oh didn't even realize it was in the teaser! Thanks for the info, hmm then maybe that is the blue pendant that Gajin gives Ondal then

@yeli I'm really curious what the chief assassin motives are too, like he knows Gajin is the princess. Oh I think he did mention in episode 3 that if the princess is the one that murders the king, that would bring disorder to the country... Maybe that is his motive? Why would he want to do that though, does he hate Goguryeo? Also I'm not sure about On Dal either. You think he's pretending to not know Gajin is the princess?

@nrllee I agree with everything you said too! I'm quite confused on what Mo Yong's intention was too when he cut On Dal's neck.. For him to bleed out? Drink his blood? Ehh? :blink: Also I like how the plot is moving forward and isn't dragging things out! I'm happy where we are at with the drama so far and definitely am curious where the drama is gonna go from here

@Sleepy Owl On Dal is definitely far from being a fool like he said.. I think we can all see that On Dal is smart and good at fighting too! I think it's just because of what happened to his father and what his father's last words was that impacted him heavily. As for the whole thing with the plot and Korea's three Kingdoms, this is why I love watching sageuk and how it displays Korean's history! I always learn so much when it comes to sageuk dramas :D

Okay, I'm guilty of watching episode 5 preview before watching episode 4 :bashful: Looks like we know for sure that On Dal knows who Gajin truly is. Aw man though, is Gajin going to leave to go to the castle or something then?!

• Like 3
  • Blob 4

Watched episodes 3, and 4. I like it, but somehow think first two episodes had more impact?

Maybe something about Kang Ha-Neul's presence haha.

Anyway, I do not understand Geon's ploy. His father wants to kill the princess, yet he looks like she's his long lost love or something. Then he promises the king that he will bring back the princess... for what reason? Isn't it the king who would also want the princess to die? 

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, andy78 said:

ep 4 is even better ...

I love episode 4 more than episode 3 lol. This drama is really fast paced, dunno what they will give us in the remaining 16 episodes. 

I’m amazed by jisoo’s acting in this scene. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

11 minutes ago, agenth said:

Anyway, I do not understand Geon's ploy. His father wants to kill the princess, yet he looks like she's his long lost love or something. Then he promises the king that he will bring back the princess... for what reason? Isn't it the king who would also want the princess to die? 

he always loved her...he wants to be her husband

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

I really like the little girl in the Village.  She’s delightful.  Her acting is superb.  It’s hard to be in character like that when you’re that young.  You either come across as overdone or totally lame.  She was just perfect.  Totally natural.

She reminds me of Aengdu from TTON. although Aengdu is more feisty, wool-e is more sunshine and rainbows:love:

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

so sad his tribe was masacrate...those who survived had to hide ...no wonder he did not recognized her...he did not want this girl he likes so much to be the king's daughter...

I agree. That is a reason I found his willingness to risk the lives of the villagers by hiding Princess P there improbable.

On Dal told the Ghost Village leader he would take responsibility for Princess P.. He played handy man house fixer upper  with her  He lied and covered up her confession that she is a Princess by saying she was just an assassin (as if that isn't bad enough), w/o adding that she was the assassin being hunted for trying to kill the King.   

All in all, I thought to myself how do you take responsibility if the villagers are slaughtered? What does "take responsibility" mean.  

I thought that it was very sweet and kind hearted of the villagers and the little girl chiming in that it was okay to keep her in the village. But how will that work for them in the real world?  They hardly know her at all, it's not as if she was living among them for months.  Any headman of a village who really was responsible for the lives of everyone, would give her a basket of food and some money and send her on her way.  So that part of episode 4 I found annoying. 

Question: I don't understand the herbal shop lady.  She is kind of a sadist, but she allowed Princess P and OD to leave.  What is her plan?  How does she fit in? Does she love GG? 

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

49 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

On Dal told the Ghost Village leader he would take responsibility for Princess P.. He played handy man house fixer upper  with her  He lied and covered up her confession that she is a Princess by saying she was just an assassin (as if that isn't bad enough), w/o adding that she was the assassin being hunted for trying to kill the King.   

All in all, I thought to myself how do you take responsibility if the villagers are slaughtered? What does "take responsibility" mean.  

I thought that it was very sweet and kind hearted of the villagers and the little girl chiming in that it was okay to keep her in the village. But how will that work for them in the real world?  They hardly know her at all, it's not as if she was living among them for months.  Any headman of a village who really was responsible for the lives of everyone, would give her a basket of food and some money and send her on her way.  So that part of episode 4 I found annoying. 

Question: I don't understand the herbal shop lady.  She is kind of a sadist, but she allowed Princess P and OD to leave.  What is her plan?  How does she fit in? Does she love GG? 

interesting...ONDAL character must be like this ...he'll do anything for her ...we know that from their first scene ...

How do you take responsibility if the villagers are slaughtered?

GOOD QUESTION!!!Ondal is very young and even his mom realized he is in love ...

I don't understand the herbal shop lady yet too she has her own agenda...

i think the princess will leave the village to protect them ...general Go won't give up...i bet he will blackmail her using all those people that hide in that place...

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

I thought that it was very sweet and kind hearted of the villagers and the little girl chiming in that it was okay to keep her in the village. But how will that work for them in the real world?  They hardly know her at all, it's not as if she was living among them for months.  Any headman of a village who really was responsible for the lives of everyone, would give her a basket of food and some money and send her on her way. 

I can buy their acceptance of her because they are pretty much all runaways and misfits of society that found community there.  As the little girl mentioned, a fair number of them just made their way there to run away from mainstream society.  So they would’ve had to have had similar receptions initially.  I think had OnDal not stepped in to vouch for her, she would’ve been turned away by the Village headman.

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

I agree. That is a reason I found his willingness to risk the lives of the villagers by hiding Princess P there improbable.

You have a point there.  But OnDal is his father’s son.  When the call of country (loyalty) comes to play, they will heed it.  I am not entirely sure what his motives are.  Is it because he is a fool for love?  Or is it something far greater?  His father died protecting the Queen.  Gen On was going to send the Queen and the Princess away to the temple (with young OnDal as their guide).  Even after he knew about the ploy of the soldiers trying to make their tribe out as traitors for “killing the Queen”.   Remember the villagers were herded together and were also under threat of death.  He was going to take responsibility.   By sending the Queen away and dealing with the soldiers himself, he was choosing to protect her over his people too?  It was only because the Queen herself said she would stay that the events of that day came about as it did.  She wrenched the responsibility back from Gen On.  PyeongGang is her mother’s daughter.  Both children were there to witness the exchange between their parents.  Good parenting by modeling goes a long way.  OnDal chose the same as his father back then.  

Gen On told OnDal to “live as a fool” - meaning just don’t get involved with all the politics and revenge.  Go about living a quiet life.  Like a Hobbit.  :lol:.  Unfortunately fate would have it that he wouldn’t be allowed to.  The Ring Of Power came knocking, so he will inevitably have to leave the Shire to head to Mordor.  

Regarding MY (herbalist), she’s conniving and desires power like her adopted father.  At the moment that’s how she’s coming across.  She utilizes information as her means to gain the upper hand.  It’s her bargaining tool.  People come to her for information.  Therein lies her power.  The man who tossed GJ the sword at the ritual was her employee?  Or was it her father’s?  GG confronted her about the man whom he recognized and chased to her premises.  As for why she let GJ and OD go and then turned around to send GG there to look for them, it’s probably part of some devious plan of hers to gain power over the bigger tribe (Go’s tribe).  I get the feeling she wants them to fight it out whilst she(and her father) stand by and watch them kill each other and then pick up the spoils after.  Much like how her employee tossed the sword to GJ to kill the king.  They didn’t actually kill the King, they just helped in the background.  So they never get pulled up for it.  They can watch someone else do the dirty work for them.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 3

So tragic... On Dal finding out the girl that he likes is the Princess who indirectly caused the death of his father and massacre of his tribe. The boy really loves the girl man... From Day One, I think we can all say that On Dal fell for Gajin. I love how On Dal is the one doing everything for Gajin -- Gajin said herself that she hasn't done anything from him. All of this just makes me even more excited to see how their relationship plays out.

I gotta say though, things are playing out REALLY FAST in this drama. All of our important characters in the drama all know that the Princess is alive. I'm curious to see how the King is going to react to his daughter being alive. Will he command the death of the princess because of his madness? Will he command the princess to come back to the palace and live there? I think someone said that they hope Go Geon doesn't turn out to be bad. I really hope the same as well. I hope he will defy his father and side with the Princess and the King.

Todays episode really focused on Gajin finding out more about herself and what she should do. I think we will see her return to the palace and live as the princess (this is what I'm assuming). All of her old memories must be flooding in and hitting her left and right, so I can't imagine how confused she must be about her identity. I actually like how she said that the princess is dead and assassin Gajin is as well. It makes me think that she will find a new identity, not as the young Pyeonggang nor the assaasin Gajin, but find herself a new identity as just Gajin or a "new princess", if that makes sense at all. I am really looking forward to see what Gajin's next step and journey will be now that she knows her true identity.

Man drama, you got me hooked! Btw subs for Episode 4 came out super quick!

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

I read bits from the folktale, quite different from this drama and novel(?). In the folktale Pyeonggang does everything she can to make Ondal marry her (for her own benefits) having no feelings for him , they’re basically strangers when she asks him to marry her..at first he refuses, but eventually accepts .. 

Anyways , I’m glad Ondal doesn’t hate Pyeonggang after finding out she is the Princess. Shows that despite him being a bit of ”fool” he is still rational and not stupid (In some dramas the ML hates the FL for having a cruel father who destroyed the lives of the ML’s family...but not Ondal, because he understands that it’s not Pyeonggang’s fault) He seems just to fall in love with Pyeonggang even more , as seen in the teaser of next ep! I’m glad their love story is moving fast forward (but still not feeling rushed) it would be a waste if Ondal hated her for a few episodes for stuff that it’s not even her fault, because then there would be less of their sweet/romantic moments

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

“River Where The Moon Rises” Hits New Personal Best With 10 Percent In Ratings

“River Where The Moon Rises” Hits New Personal Best With 10 Percent In Ratings

River Where the Moon Rises” has passed the 10 percent viewership ratings mark in just four episodes!

According to Nielsen Korea, the February 23 episode of KBS’s “River Where the Moon Rises” recorded average nationwide ratings of 6.3 and 10.0 percent. This is a new personal best for the drama and the first time that it has broken into the 10 percent range.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1456101wpp/river-where-the-moon-rises-hits-new-personal-best-with-10-percent-in-ratings

• Like 2
  • Blob 5

Things are moving fast, Ga Jin knows about her identity, meets the monk who I think still has got some role in the drama and not there to just tell her about her past and other stuff. Question is, the assassin chief also seems to know about her actual identity, and how did it happen? I don't think he can just know it looking at the jade necklace, not sure if they will show it or not, but I think must be doing it, as I am sure, we'll see another meeting between this guy and Ga Jin. 

Coming to Go Gun, we already see him being caught up in choosing sides now, should he kill the Princess for his father and tribe's big plan or should he remain true to his words which he said to her 8 years ago. He said he will remain loyal to her, and not his tribe or the royal family, so it will be interesting to see him being true to it. I did find his decision to follow Ga Jin to the forest with some soldiers questionable though. Even if his real intention was to convince her to return back as Princess, I don't think he got to trust his soldiers that much, given how powerful his father is here. It was good that nothing happened, but still, maybe he found it dangerous to enter the forest alone, but still, not a right move in my opinion. The moment he got trapped by On Dal was too funny though. 

On Dal and Ga Jin came to know about their past and identities earlier than I expected too. The pace of this drama has been on another level so far. I liked how they kind of didn't drag that thing, and On Dal didn't just hate Ga Jin the way maybe he could have. Of course, I think two things play a big role here. Firstly he knows that the Queen also got killed in all that, so knows that Ga Jin being with her mom and her mother's daughter was an ally of his father having reached out to for his help. So he must be seeing Ga Jin as the victim of it all too and cannot just blame her for it all since her father ordered it. At the same time, I think his father's last words on "there will be no revenge, hold no resentment" have had a big impact on him, and I believe that is one of the reasons he didn't hold much resentment here, at least against Ga Jin for being the King's daughter. 

Hae Mo Young is an interesting character here. She is the one providing the medicinal herbs to the King, holds information of all sorts and by the looks of it, her loyalty does not reside with anyone right now. She is working for the head of Gyeru tribe on the orders of Hae Ji Wol. I laughed again seeing how surprised she was when On Dal so easily freed himself. She thought she had him, while he was actually letting her think that way. Her character right now seems to be similar to that of Yoon So Hee's in "The King: Master of the Mask". Not gonna say it will be quite similar here, but for now, I think there is a chance that she can go that way. 

I think Go Gun did play smart telling the king about the Princess being well and alive. It will actually give the King some motivation to try to break out of the chains of Go Won Pyo (Gochunga as he is referred to I guess), at the same time it will give some protection to Ga Jin herself. I think Go Gun did it, since he knew that someone on par with his father's powers, at least on par in powers on paper, knowing about it would be better than him being a mere lord of a fortress and chief of defense knowing it and trying to protect her. At the same time, he knows that the King knowing it beforehand would help it much easier for Ga Jin to return back to the castle. 

Would be interesting to see what will motivate Ga Jin to return back to the palace as Princess Pyeong Gang. By the looks of the preview (which are known to be misleading), I think she does decide to leave. But what makes her do it? Since as I said, she has for now decided to stay and live as Ga Jin. 

On Another Note, Chingus, I was unable to put up the polls for the 1-2 episodes, but want to put up the polls for this week's episodes, so the suggestions are more than welcome. Please reach out to me, if you have ideas for the poll for this week's episodes. 

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

17 hours ago, nrllee said:

Okay I take that back.  MoYong didn’t nick OnDal’s neck so he would bleed slowly to death.  She intended for him to drink his own blood to stay alive?  Is that worse?  :blink:  She’s power hungry(?) too just like her dad but also devious.  But she’s adopted?  Who were her real parents?

EP 4! Ondal shocked me! He pretended to struggle when he could had escaped anytime he wanted to :lol:

I really like the little girl in the Village.  She’s delightful.  Her acting is superb.  It’s hard to be in character like that when you’re that young.  You either come across as overdone or totally lame.  She was just perfect.  Totally natural.

Ikr, I love her! She’s one of the voices of reasons and optimistic although so young :wub:

am really surprised at how quickly everything seems to be “solved” already?  They didn’t drag out the amnesia nor did they drag out the ignorance of OnDal with regards to GJ’s true identity.  Everything is out in the open between the 2 fated lovers.  I am wondering where the writer will take us now.  The intrigue and power struggles within the Palace?

Ikr this has got to be one of the least dragged drama I’ve ever seen, maybe they will slow down later which I don’t mind either but I’m mighty impressed :)

some shows, we see like 10 minutes of progression if at all in one episode and the rest all fillers lol 

15 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

So having watched 3 episodes, I am so far liking the drama. On Dal is far from being "On Dal The Fool" he was famously known as and we all know how this started, as the old lady living with him asked him to live like that, so him being a fool originated from there, otherwise, as I said, this dude has got brains. 

Interesting plot, based on a famous folk tale, with actual historical characters, and based on Gogoryeo and Korea's three Kingdom era. What else can a Sageuk fan ask for. Why I am always interested in Gogoryeo among the three Kingdoms of Korea in that era is because, apart from having tensions with Jurchens in the North, Shilla and Baekje in the South, there was always (for a long time in their history), tension among the 5 main tribes and the Royal family. The founder Jumong was not from any of these tribes, yet he united them and became the King, and so, since his time, the Royal family was always seen as an outsider by these tribes. 

So I am liking how they are showing the biggest tribe, Gye Ru causing the trouble here and trying to gain the control of the government. Plot is faster than I expected it to be, and let's see what else we have in store with this drama being a 20 episode one, which by default should be kind of slower than the 16 episodes one. But I would not mind it being long, as long as it is interesting, since well, there was a time when Kdramas were 24 episodes long.

I just hope that this will not be the other drama where Lee Ji Hoon plays the good guy turning evil. I have liked his character, since he said to the princess that he will remain loyal to the Royal family and will put it first before his tribe, so I hope we see for a change the second lead in a Sageuk not turning evil and stay the good guy he is. As for Hae Mo Young, while her character is quite interesting too, she is already the one providing the suspicious herbs to the King. 

Will be interesting to see if the King will believe he saw his daughter, or will he just think it was part of his hallucinations. By the looks of preview, Ga Jin will run away from the castle for now. For now, I don't think the assassin chief is the same monk who was rumored to be the Queen's past lover. If he is though, well, he is using her as the revenge against the King. He sure knows who she is though, but let's see. At least I don't want him to be the assassin chief, so that this dude remains an unknown variable for now. 

OMG so fancy to see you here with @joccu as well :love: 

Youre right Ondal in this drama only “foolishness” can only be seen with how much he loves GJ, which to me is not a problem at all. He’s a very cunning character. He’s street smart, can hold his end in a conversation and has the potential to be very intelligent in other areas too which I expect when GJ teaches him :)

Although I love Sohyun, I honestly can say in my opinion this is the best currently airing drama out there. The characters are diverse and loving without being wacky and convoluted. And seeing the gorgeous landscapes makes it feel like I’m partially going on vacation sight seeing :lol:

new behind the scene photos :)

12 hours ago, andy78 said:

so sad his tribe was masacrate...those who survived had to hide ...no wonder he did not recognized her...he did not want this girl he likes so much to be the king's daughter...

Ikr :bawling: I’m just glad they didn’t drag this out and that they both know each other true identity... all on episode 4 not like ep 10 :lol:

10 hours ago, maddymappo said:

in all, I thought to myself how do you take responsibility if the villagers are slaughtered? What does "take responsibility" mean.  

for me it makes sense because it was explained that the “ghost” village is not only just the members of ondal tribe but also had many other runaways and he was credited for saving others. This shows that ondal is consistent in loving and caring for those who are in danger. Also it was explained that the other runaways are also putting the village in danger too because there’s a strong probability there are people after them too after they escaped.

8 hours ago, nrllee said:

can buy their acceptance of her because they are pretty much all runaways and misfits of society that found community there.  As the little girl mentioned, a fair number of them just made their way there to run away from mainstream society.  So they would’ve had to have had similar receptions initially.  I think had OnDal not stepped in to vouch for her, she would’ve been turned away by the Village headman.

i agree with this statement :glasses: also the villagers were once willing to give up their lives in ep 1 when they begged him not to accept the charges of being a traitor.they value their lives but they value loyalty and helping the helpless even more. They all know what’s like to be in GJ shoes. 

36 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

think Go Gun did play smart telling the king about the Princess being well and alive. It will actually give the King some motivation to try to break out of the chains of Go Won Pyo (Gochunga as he is referred to I guess), at the same time it will give some protection to Ga Jin herself. I think Go Gun did it, since he knew that someone on par with his father's powers, at least on par in powers on paper, knowing about it would be better than him being a mere lord of a fortress and chief of defense knowing it and trying to protect her. At the same time, he knows that the King knowing it beforehand would help it much easier for Ga Jin to return back to the castle. 

i think the same! I thought it was also smart because it seemed to wake up the king from his trances  :P

36 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

On Another Note, Chingus, I was unable to put up the polls for the 1-2 episodes, but want to put up the polls for this week's episodes, so the suggestions are more than welcome. Please reach out to me, if you have ideas for the poll for this week's episodes. 

polls? 

hmmm... VIP character of the week? Or most funny character or most surprising action? 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

10 minutes ago, elan1 said:

omg this is so true! The fast pace :glasses:

It sure is fast paced (one of the few dramas that doesn't drag at all) but without feeling rushed. This drama is so refreshing! Seems like Ondal and Gajin will already become a couple next ep?? or at least almost... very refreshing as in most kdramas it can take up to 9-12 episodes before the leads becomes a couple (even in those dramas that have only 16 episodes) 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

8 minutes ago, Vera Vainio said:

It sure is fast paced (one of the few dramas that doesn't drag at all) but without feeling rushed. This drama is so refreshing! Seems like Ondal and Gajin will already become a couple next ep?? or at least almost... very refreshing as in most kdramas it can take up to 9-12 episodes before the leads becomes a couple (even in those dramas that have only 16 episodes) 

totally agree with you completely! Some dramas that drags and drags, I want to throw my laptop against the wall in frustrations :lol:

I believe this drama will make good use of its 20 episodes length. Some dramas, like barely anything happens and could/should end in 8 episodes instead of 16 or more episodes :P

I read a comment where they accused ep 1 & 2 of dragging palace politics and upset that includes some politics... I be like are we watching the same drama? Every historical drama needs to have some politics in it... it’s normal lol 

the angry birds movie bike GIF by Angry Birds

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1