[Drama 2021] River Where the Moon Rises, 달이 뜨는 강

elan1

15 hours ago, elan1 said:

Interesting, maybe it was planted by him. Or maybe the “monk” who supposedly have an affair with the queen planted it. Or maybe the 2FL :lol:

The reason why I think it was the tribal chief in white is that he seems to be the only one in that Tribal Council who seemed disturbed that the assassination attempt was going to take place.  Actually they planned it without his consent, it’s in the conversation they had when they were talking together.  They didn’t include him in the planning stages because they knew he was against the insurrection.  But he needed to stay incognito to stay on side with the other tribal chiefs.  He needed someone else to stop the process.  Hence the planted note.  The monk (suspected Queen’s lover) seemed to have renounced all his “worldly ways” and walked away from politics and everything Palace related?  He was not dissimilar to OnDal’s dad in that sense.  Bar the fact that he had the added complication of being in love with the Queen.  The 2FL?  Has she appeared yet? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Insightful 5

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

The reason why I think it was the tribal chief in white is that he seems to be the only one in that Tribal Council who seemed disturbed that the assassination attempt was going to take place.  Actually they planned it without his consent, it’s in the conversation they had when they were talking together.  They didn’t include him in the planning stages because they knew he was against the insurrection.  But he needed to stay incognito to stay on side with the other tribal chiefs.  He needed someone else to stop the process.  Hence the planted note.  The monk (suspected Queen’s lover) seemed to have renounced all his “worldly ways” and walked away from politics and everything Palace related?  He was not dissimilar to OnDal’s dad in that sense.  Bar the fact that he had the added complication of being in love with the Queen.  The 2FL?  Has she appeared yet? 

i think you might be right on the dot! :) thanks for sharing! 

I have a feeling that the monk is going to play a larger role than we think. Maybe he is building an underground army but using his monk identity as a cover up all this years to evade suspicions. This is all my imagination lol maybe the monk is allied with the tribal chief in white. 

the 2FL won’t appear until episode 3 according to previews but it doesn’t mean she hasn’t made some behind the scene  moves :joy:

14 hours ago, agenth said:

Dal is not a fool, he is acting like one - though I haven't seen him being ACTUALLY stupid, when encountering other people. Sure, people may think Ga Jin is a killer, so he shouldn't have saved her and brought her to his house. However, he recognised she is not a coldblooded killer. All she needs is kindness in her life, as her life has been rough. 

what if ondal does recognize GJ as princess but pretended not to? That’s why he saved her? 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, elan1 said:

what if ondal does recognize GJ as princess but pretended not to? That’s why he saved her? 

That's what I suspect. I think he really does recognise her or at the very least find her familiar.

I am still very unsure of the politics and political factions. It seems like some of the Council aren't as bad as the others but aside from General Go Geon's dad I am really not sure who is who or where they represent or what the different titles mean (although that might be because of inadequate subtitles.  It also isn't easy to research Goguryeo information if you don't speak Korean) This is where at least one more introductory episode would have helped with these complex aspects but, hopefully, this will become clearer in the upcoming episodes.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 1

VC ig uptade

Resim

Resim          Resim

Spoiler

ResimResim

ResimResim

Resim

River Where the Moon Rises: Episodes 1-2 Open Thread

What a treat! KBS’s new Goguryeo sageuk is epic, emotional, and gives us a really strong sense of the drama to come. It’s also beautiful to look at, not only being really well-shot, but featuring gorgeous landscapes, sets, and scenery (in other words, it’s super easy to get lost in this world). In our premiere, we meet our warrior princess, learn about her tragic past, and meet all of the players that will become a crucial part of our present day story.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

With tons of drama behind us already, this weecap is going to be a quick pass through all the delicious backstory, followed by a whole lot of praise for the cast and acting, which seems pretty near perfect right now. Just warning you.

We open with our warrior princess YEOM GA-JIN (Kim So-hyun) in an epic battle, fighting like the best of them. If not better. She’s looking for ON DAL (Ji-soo), and they have a tragic reunion on the battlefield. I worry about dramas that start off at their most dramatic point — it’s like a warning shot to our hearts — so we’ll just have to stick this in our pockets for later, because there’s a lot of story to come before we circle back to this point.

Most of Episode 1 features our heroine as a young girl (played wonderfully by Heo Jung-eun of Start-Up fame, most recently). She’s PYEONGGANG, the princess of Goguryeo, and she’s the spitting image of her mother, QUEEN YEON (also played by Kim So-hyun), who is pretty amazing. While the totally feckless king lets the kingdom be manhandled by the evil tribal leaders, the queen is the only one with the wit and bravery to protect Goguryeo.

The king is weak, and because he’s weak, he’s easily manipulated — we see this again and again in our drama, but never so strongly as in the plot that sets up our backstory. Evil ringleader GENERAL GO WON-PYO (Lee Hae-young) crafts some evidence and suggests to the king that his young and lovely queen is betraying him with her lover from the past, now a monk. Rather than believe his queen, he allows General Go to set a terrible plan in motion.

This evil plan catches the queen unawares while she’s busy on a mission, surveying the kingdom, visiting the (good) tribal leaders, and secretly asking for protection from the Sunno tribe. The leader of this tribe is GENERAL ON HYEOB (Kang Haneul).

From the first second we meet him, we realize he’s a strong, principled warrior through and through. His son is the innocent and slightly foolhardy On Dal, and we see Dal’s father guiding him and building his character. An important sword is broken and buried, which feels a bit like a metaphor for Dal’s future legacy…

Alas, we don’t have long to relish the awesomeness of General On and Queen Yeon for long. They’re quickly outplayed by General Go’s nefarious plot, and it all turns to heartbreak, mayhem, and sacrifice too quickly. The queen is shot dead on the spot with an arrow in her chest, General On is also shot while heroically protecting her, and the village is torn apart. The only true survivors of this scene are Pyeonggang and Dal — his father instructed him to take the princess safely to the monastery of the Jello tribe. (Ironically, this is the same place where her true father is said to be.)

When the princess gets there, though, it’s no secret haven, and there’s no secret Jedi training from her monk father (which is where I thought they were heading). Instead, the place is ablaze, the king is murdering everyone in sight, and a mysterious figure soon whisks this traumatized, horrified girl to safety.

This entire section of the story is so damn riveting, I’m almost sorry to leave it in the past. It’s so heroic and epic and sad and wonderful. I need a moment.

In Episode 2, we catch up with everyone in the present. Eight years after the above tragedy, Princess Pyeonggang has no memory of her past. She lives in a rural village with an old man who’s become her father, and works on a team of assassins. She’s known as Yeom Ga-jin, and she’s not only extremely well-trained, but clearly haunted by the past that she can’t remember.

Interestingly, the man who has trained and controls this team of assassins seems to know more about Ga-jin than he lets on. He also has some beef against the king of Goguryeo, and sends Ga-jin to the court on an extravagant assassination mission. Though she’s unsuccessful, the experience is a clear turning point in her story (it’s also soooo beautifully shot).

Though Ga-jin’s cover is good, she doesn’t know she carries around a major Achilles heel wherever she goes: she’s the spitting image of her mother. Ga-jin doesn’t realize it yet, but everyone in the court that sees her does — namely the king (who’s psychologically tormented at this point), and the nanny/handmaid who cared for her as a child.

However, seeing these familiar places and faces also affects Ga-jin, and memories come back to her faster than ever, though she doesn’t know quite what to make of them yet. At the close of our premiere, Ga-jin begins to realize that something is off — her adoptive father has admitted that he only took her in, there’s a secret necklace that proves her identity (given to her by her mother eight years prior), and everything she thought she knew begins to shift under her feet.

Additionally, we have her reunion with Dal — though neither of them realize it’s a reunion at this point. They meet coincidentally in the woods, and then again when Dal saves her when she’s fleeing the palace.

Dal is living in isolation in the woods, under the guise of caring for a blind “mother,” and he’s very much the light-hearted Dal we saw in the past. However, we also understand that his facade hides the tragedy of his father and his tribe. It also carries his father’s last words to him: “There should be no resentment in your life. Live simple, like a fool, and in peace.”

Ga-jin and Dal thrown together are quite cute, and the lightness and hints of romance between them will be important as our story continues. But above all, I love the setup that both of these characters have a tragic, gorgeous, tightly-woven past. The story is loudly hinting that they’ll live to fill the shoes of their parents, and I can’t wait for more episodes!

But before we tie up this weecap, a word (literally) on the cast: golden. Kim So-hyun is awesome in every layer of this multifaceted role, whether it’s the brave and austere Queen Yeon, or her daughter, fierce in battle, or caught in the confusion of her current circumstances. I’ve never met a Kim So-hyun I liked so much as I like her here.

Another great preference that stood out as Kang Haneul — he’s always great, but the gravitas here as General On was so jaw-droppingly good. I hope we get more flashbacks. Or something.

Finally, I really like the casting of Ji-soo. I’m a big fan, but I’m also the first to admit his acting has a bit of cheesiness to it. Sometimes it’s not my favorite (My First First Love), but here, it’s absolutely put to the best use. Ji-soo’s On Dal is a bit of an oaf, from his appearance to his mannerisms, but it’s not at all flat, and there’s enough going on with Dal that I’m already looking forward to his journey from “fool” to general.

We’ll get into the other characters in and around the palace next week (like the promising character played by Lee Ji-hoon), but for now, I’ll just keep saying what a great premiere this was. And how I’m already waiting for Monday.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/02/river-where-the-moon-rises-episodes-1-2-open-thread/

RIVER0102_0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

9 hours ago, elan1 said:

I have a feeling that the monk is going to play a larger role than we think. Maybe he is building an underground army but using his monk identity as a cover up all this years to evade suspicions. This is all my imagination lol maybe the monk is allied with the tribal chief in white. 

I have a feeling that the monk is going to play a larger role than we think too!I really hope he'll make the foolish king realize his huge mistake!!!The foolish king reign will end in 590...So i think one day  he will wake up and start fighting for his country and children...From trailer we see that the moment his wife neckledge is found and realises she might be alive he sent General Go Geon to look for her and bring her to palace... PYEONGGANG is  the spitting image of her mother, QUEEN YEON so the idiot won't be able to kill her(we did see him crying in front of his wife body)

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

“[FEATURE] 5 Things We Loved About the Premiere of ‘River Where the Moon Rises’”

The highly anticipated Viu original drama River Where the Moon Rises starring Kim So Hyun and Ji Soo finally premiered last February 15 and its first two episodes definitely proved that it’s a sageuk worth tuning into!

The drama is adapted from a Korean folktale recorded in The History of the Three Kingdoms and is based on the famous love story of Princess Pyeonggang (Kim So Hyun) and her general, On Dal (Ji Soo). Following a tragic incident from her childhood, the story revolves around Pyeonggang’s quest to uncover dark and dangerous conspiracies in the kingdom.

Without further ado, here are five things that we loved about episodes one and two of River Where the Moon Rises. Minor spoilers ahead!

The Impressive Action Sequences

From its very first scene, River Where the Moon Rises immediately flexed its production value. Episode one opens with a beautiful shot of Pyeonggang looking badass on horseback as she rides into battle, praying for On Dal to wait for her. Kim demonstrates her action skills in the opening sequence, and we see more of this in episode two when she becomes a fully-fledged assassin. This drama is Kim’s first attempt at action in a historical drama and she did extensive research on both swordplay and stunt work. This goes to show that River Where the Moon Rises isn’t your typical sageuk. A princess wielding a sword and fighting against her enemies one-on-one? Sign us up!

Kim So Hyun’s Duality

Apart from playing a princess turned assassin, Kim also takes on the role of Queen Yeon, the mother of Pyeonggang. As Queen Yeon, Kim perfectly portrays a mother’s tender and protective side while also maintaining the regal aura expected of a queen. River Where the Moon Rises doesn’t seem to have a shortage of strong female characters as we see early on that Queen Yeon isn’t merely young and beautiful, but also intelligent and strong-willed. Queen Yeon has her share of action sequences in the latter part of the first episode, and from that we can tell who Pyeonggang takes after.

Ji Soo’s Sweet and Playful Character

Fondly called as the “nation’s second lead” because of his memorable supporting roles, Ji Soo finally takes centrestage in River Where the Moon Rises. He plays On Dal, the son of the chief of the Sunnobu tribe who shares the same tragic childhood as Pyeonggang. After the death of his father, On Dal lives as a recluse deep in the mountains where he meets Pyeonggang eight years after their separation.

In a recent interview, Ji Soo shared that he wanted to take on the role of On Dal because he found it interesting to act out a character that is a “gallant general” but at the same time so nice to the point that he is known as the “foolish On Dal”. He also described On Dal as a “young man with a pure and warm heart”. Ji Soo also commented that he relates to On Dal because of the character’s selflessness.

Indeed, On Dal’s kind and loving nature are evident in the first two episodes, and we can’t wait for more sweet scenes between him and Pyeonggang in future episodes!

Kang Ha Neul’s Powerful Cameo

Kang Ha Neul makes a special appearance in this drama as General On Hyeop, a charismatic leader and the father of On Dal. As the chief of the Sunnobu tribe and a general for Goguryeo, he is respected by the people. Despite having only a cameo in the first two episodes, Kang certainly made General On Hyeop as memorable as can be through his powerful portrayal of a stern but caring father and a steadfast general. This proves how Kang easily steals every scene he’s in and how effective he is as an actor.

The Intriguing Conspiracies

Of course, sageuks aren’t complete without scheming consorts and power-hungry leaders, and River Where the Moon Rises delivers. The story takes a lopsided turn when Jin Bi (played by Wang Bit Na), one of the king’s concubines, conspires with the cunning politician Gowon Pyo (played by Lee Hae Young) to assassinate Queen Yeon and Princess Pyeonggang and to dethrone the king. The conflict piles up when other secrets are revealed, including the mystery of Pyeonggang’s real father. We surely can’t wait for the plot to unravel further in the upcoming episodes!

River Where the Moon Rises can be streamed on the Viu app which can be downloaded for free on the App StoreGoogle Play Store, and selected smart TVs, as well as on Viu’s official website.

https://theseoulstory.com/feature-5-things-we-loved-about-the-premiere-of-river-where-the-moon-rises/

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

14 hours ago, andy78 said:

I have a feeling that the monk is going to play a larger role than we think too!I really hope he'll make the foolish king realize his huge mistake!!!The foolish king reign will end in 590...So i think one day  he will wake up and start fighting for his country and children...From trailer we see that the moment his wife neckledge is found and realises she might be alive he sent General Go Geon to look for her and bring her to palace... PYEONGGANG is  the spitting image of her mother, QUEEN YEON so the idiot won't be able to kill her(we did see him crying in front of his wife body)

I don't think Pyeonggang will ever forgive the king for ordering the murder of her mother.  I would be surprised to see him reign until 590 as he appears to be incompetent and unstable with few allies. I wonder if the drama will take some sort of artistic license.

I also believe the monk will make a reappearance.  I just don't think they will introduce the character and, specifically, that he is one of the best fighters in the country for no reason.

Nice that the drama has made people interested in searching more about the history and the real characters:

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Ugh I wish Kang Haneul's role was longer in this drama! I would love to see him in a sageuk again :heart4: I think he did such a good job portraying On Dal's father! 

Okay so I heard from other people that

Spoiler

On Dal actually dies in the battlefield so the first scene of this drama is actually On Dal dying?! Apparently that's what happens in the real story, which I HAD NO IDEA! Omg! Is this going to be a tragic story then?

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

On 2/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, raziela said:

That's what I suspect. I think he really does recognise her or at the very least find her familiar.

I am still very unsure of the politics and political factions. It seems like some of the Council aren't as bad as the others but aside from General Go Geon's dad I am really not sure who is who or where they represent or what the different titles mean (although that might be because of inadequate subtitles.  It also isn't easy to research Goguryeo information if you don't speak Korean) This is where at least one more introductory episode would have helped with these complex aspects but, hopefully, this will become clearer in the upcoming episodes.

Yup I personally think he’s playing coy because he respects her and also because he wants to protect her and not make things too tough for her :P

Youre right, it’s not spelled clearly who’s antagonistic or not. Most of them are probably just on GG dad side because of the political wind and that they all agreed GJ dad is a mess. 

21 hours ago, andy78 said:

From trailer we see that the moment his wife neckledge is found and realises she might be alive he sent General Go Geon to look for her and bring her to palace... PYEONGGANG is  the spitting image of her mother, QUEEN YEON so the idiot won't be able to kill her(we did see him crying in front of his wife body)

now this makes more sense why it’s a good idea to make sohyun play the queen as well :glasses:

2 hours ago, ferily said:

Ugh I wish Kang Haneul's role was longer in this drama! I would love to see him in a sageuk again I think he did such a good job portraying On Dal's father! 

Okay so I heard from other people that

Hide contents

On Dal actually dies in the battlefield so the first scene of this drama is actually On Dal dying?! Apparently that's what happens in the real story, which I HAD NO IDEA! Omg! Is this going to be a tragic story then?

Who knows maybe we will still see KHN in a few more episodes in flashbacks? :lol:

That’s what happened in the folktale but I heard the ending was different in the novel (I think?). The writer is adapting elements from both sources and also adding his own spin because there isn’t much information on ondal and GJ. A lot of the historical records were destroyed or lost. So we don’t know what happens yet :) 

3 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I don't think Pyeonggang will ever forgive the king for ordering the murder of her mother as well.

I don’t think so either but maybe he could redeem himself later on in the drama by doing something amazing to protect GJ or something :P

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

First impression after watching 2 episodes. 

My thought is that On Dal is supposed to live like a "fool". That was his fathers wish. Although we know On Dal is destined to be a General.   Pyeonggang's first wish as a princess is to be king, and then after losing her memory in her new life she wishes not to be an assassin (good thinking) and live a quiet life.  Although at this point she doesn't remember her mother and doesn't know that her mother was betrayed it is her destiny to find out and want revenge. But let us remember General On Hyeop's advice to On Dal... there is no such thing as  revenge. In several dramas I have seen, the parent gives the advice that revenge doesn't pay but the child just ignores it. Likely in this drama they will discover that revenge is not what they thought it would be, and will lead to more bitterness and suffering.   

Ultimatley, my wish is that the two somehow survive and disappear into the world of common people to raise a family and live happily ever after.

Thank you @nrlleefor your insight into this mystery.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:43 PM, nrllee said:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

56 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

But let us remember General On Hyeop's advice to On Dal... there is no such thing as  revenge. In several dramas I have seen, the parent gives the advice that revenge doesn't pay but the child just ignores it. Likely in this drama they will discover that revenge is not what they thought it would be, and will lead to more bitterness and suffering.   

Ultimatley, my wish is that the two somehow survive and disappear into the world of common people to raise a family and live happily ever after.

The difference is that GJ wasn’t the one to receive the advice not to pursue revenge. So far Ondal has been listening to his father advice to be a fool :lol: Personally I don’t think Ondal father advice was completely sound, you shouldn’t avoid things or push it under the rug under the name of peace. Sometimes you need to deal with certain issues before it becomes something that may destroy you and your loved ones. I think ondal dad made a huge mistake by isolating the tribe from the rest of the kingdom (by not participating in politics) or he would have realized how corrupted the country was becoming before it was too late to adequately dealing with it. You need to be on the inside to also protect the things and those you love. Ignorance can be harmful. 

I think this drama will tackle the ideas of revenge could be a double edge sword but at the same having a “pure” pacifist mentality is also a double edge sword. There needs to be a balance. I personally think revenge can be a positive thing as long as there’s a foundation established that can help you see a future beyond just living for revenge alone. 

That’s why ondal and GJ are a perfect couple, they are extremes that can pull each other closer to the middle :heart:

I also hope for a happy ending :) 

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

11 New Korean Dramas In February 2021 To Add To Your Watch List

What’s been on your Korean drama watch list lately? As some of last month’s best K-dramas are about to wrap up like True Beauty and Run On, it’s only natural to gear up for your next to-watch list!

Here are many of the K-Dramas to watch out for this February 2021!

River Where The Moon Rises (Kim So-Hyun, Ji Soo)

• Release Date: February 15, 2021
  • Runtime: Monday & Tuesday, 21:30
  • Network: KBS2
  • Cast: Kim So-Hyun, Ji Soo
River Where The Moon Rises (Kim So-Hyun, Ji Soo)

Of course, a K-Drama watch list can’t be complete without another historical drama! Starring Kim So-Hyun and Ji Soo, this traditional melodrama tells about the lives of Princess Pyong Gang (Kim So-Hyun) and On Dal (Ji Soo) in the Goguryeo era.

‘River Where the Moon Rises’ will air on KBS2 every Monday and Tuesday, taking the spot of ‘Royal Secret Agent’.

Trailer

hqdefault.jpg

https://inkistyle.com/new-korean-dramas-february-2021/

The man sitting next to Go geon 's father is who gave the sword Yeom Gajin when Gajin tried to kill the king. So is Gajin's master cooperating with Gogeon's father ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLgezQzjQmY/

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1